Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #231
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Saturday, July 11 1998        Volume 03 : Number 231

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 170 (FALSE)

Alfvaen has judged this false.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgement 170 - June 29, 1998
Subject: Sinning
Initiator: 867-5309 (sent June 29, 17:38)
Judge: IdiotBoy (selected July 02, 17:27) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Alfvaen (Preator) (Selected 9 Jul 1998, 23:59 Acka)
Verdict: False

Statement:
867-5309 committed the Crime of Original Sin on Thursday, 25 June.

Initiator's Reasoning:
On the date in question, the accused submitted the following
INVIDIOUS-delimited Sin Submission:

INVIDIOUS
A new Sin has been discovered by the tireless researchers of the Ackanomic
Guild of Indulgences and Other Vices.  This Sin is the horrible one of
Abusing One's Privilege.  This Sin is committed when a player who attempts
to create a new Rule via a Hearing, Discovery, Miscellaneous Submission,
or in another non-Proposal manner includes text in this created Rule which
purports to create, amend, or repeal any Rule other than the one being
created.

{{ Append the sentence "This sentence repeals itself seven seconds after 
it becomes part of a Rule." to the end of Rule 611, "Le Grand Fromage." }}
INVIDIOUS

The resultant Sinquisition returned a verdict of "Right up there with
Disrespecting the Harfers."  Hence, by R777 the text of the Sinquisition
was adopted as a new Rule.  The submitter was obviously guilty of the same
Sin e proposed to create, that of Abusing One's Privilege, therefore also
by R777 e has committed the Crime of Original Sin, Q.E.D.

Suggested Penalty:
Harsh! At least a 7-line APOLOGY, in accordance with R777.
The TRANSFERENCE of all eir tradeable entities to the initiator of this
CFCJ, including the covering of the initiator's court costs.
An IMPRISONMENT of three days.

Judge's Reasoning:
The question here is really one of when the Sin of Abusing One's
Privilege came into effect.  CFCJ 156 sets a clear precedent(as I
intended it to)that after a Crime is created, it does not affect
the Criminality of actions before that Crime's creation.

So when, precisely, did 867-5309 commit the action which is allegedly
the Sin of Abusing One's Privilege?  From the wording of the Sin itself:

   This Sin is committed when a player who attempts to create a new Rule
   via a Hearing, Discovery, Miscellaneous Submission, or in another
   non-Proposal manner includes text in this created Rule which purports
   to create, amend, or repeal any Rule other than the one being created.

Now, it is reasonable to assume that submitting a Sin Submission is "an
attempt to create a new Rule via a Hearing"; the wording of Rule 777,
which states that an eligible player "may post a message which purports
to add a Rule detailing a new sin to this Rule Suite....", supports
this.

So when did the inclusion of the self-deleting text that would constitute
the Sin occur?  One reasonable interpretation would be that the text is
"included" when the original body of text to constitute the new Rule is
submitted.  Another would be that it occurs only when the text is included
in the Rule proper, which would be when the Rule is created.

The key to choosing the interpretation, I think, is that the Sin description
speaks of a _player_ including text in the Rule to be created.  Now, when
the Rule is actually created, it is not created by a player, but by another
Rule--Rule 777, Rule 594, Rule 1250.1, etc.  (Preceding rule numbers
approximate, off the top of my head.)  It is the text which is formed into
the Rule that is created by the player.

Therefore, I consider that 867-5309 did not commit any action which was,
_at the time it was committed_, a Sin.

I also note that with the date-specificity of the CFCJ, on Thursday, June
25th it was certainly not a Sin, because Rule 777.1 did not then exist,
so much of the above rambling is irrelevant.  So if you disagree with it,
an appeal will still probably be fruitless.  A CFCJ on whether the Sin
was committed on June 29th would have to take it into account, however.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 629 (TRUE)

867-5309 has judged this True.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Judgement 629 - July 8, 1998
Subject: Whamiols
Initiator: Alfvaen (Sent 8 Jul 1998, 01:10 Acka)
Judge: 867-5309 (Selected 8 Jul 1998, 01:52 Acka)
Verdict: True

Statement:
Whamiols were triggered when Proposal 3216 passed.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:
JT pointed this out to me, but being the cautious sort I am I'd like to
be sure.

Before Proposal 3216 passed, Zaknafein Dourden was Pending.  After, e
was Voting, which was one of two player states defined as Active under
the amended Ruleset.

I believe that this satisfies the conditions of Rule 594.3, but I'm not
sure.

Judge's Reasoning:
I don't see why not.  Pretty cute, Alfie.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Kilroy

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>I'd completely forgotten about my duties as Treasure Custodian for
>Red Barn's treasures.
>
>JT has found the Big-Nosed Kilroy treasure.  The map, as supplied to
>me by Red Barn, is:

Wow, a treasure all my own :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Archaeologist?!

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>I hereby appoint JT to be Acting Inventor.

Then, my first invention is in honor of the recently departed Saaremaa.
I'm rediscovering his Codex of Wizardry, and renaming it in his honor.
Basically, I thought it was kinda neat (after thinking it through and
talking with Saaremaa about it before he left), and thought it a shame
that it had to go away because he did, so I'm reincarnating it.
I even left intact the bit that added the music database to the G&C
general equipment although I didn't have to, just to preserve the original
text better.

Discovery: Saaremaa's Codex of Wizardry
I. Introduction

Codices of Wizardry (Codices) are old scrolls scribed by the
Ancients detailing the arduous path of insight from Novice
to Wizard.  Although originally thought lost when the Jarans
were consumed by the Greater Wisdom, recent archaeology
has verified the existence of a limited number of these rare
artifacts behind a pivoting bookcase in *that* room.

The Ancients believed the path to insight and success involved
the mastery of several Disciplines, viz.: Adventure, Travel,
Foresight, Know Who, Contemplation, Smarts or Luck or Cunning,
Fun and Games, Music, Harf, and of course Discovering and
building Gadgets.  As such, these Codices, when translated,
will describe a path through these Disciplines that one can
follow to become a Wizard.

II. Codex States

All Codices are either Untranslated, Translated, or Fulfilled.
Newly created Codices are always Untranslated.  When a Codex
crumbles, it is destroyed.  Whenever a Fulfilled Codex is in
the possession of a Scientist, it crumbles.  Any active,
non-Scientist in possession a Codex is a Novice.  Whenever a
player is burned as described in the Rules, all of eir Codices
are destroyed, being as they are written on that same really old
parchment that the Ancients seems to like.

III. Translating a Codex

Any Novice who has been to The Vault of the Book in the Library
within the past 24 hours may attempt to translate one of eir
Untranslated Codices by publicly declaring the Colour of the
Codex, posting the Translation, and paying A$180 tuition to the
Ackanomic Research Guild, which, upon payment, is divided up
as evenly as possible among all active Scientists (with any
remainder going to the Treasury).

This action fails if the Novice cannot or does not pay the
tuition, declares a Colour that is either not defined as a
Colour in the rules or which has ever been an attribute of
an Office of Wizard or a Codex of Wizardry, or if the Translation
does not conform with the rest of this rule.  Upon failure of this
action, the Codex crumbles due to the Novice's utter incompetence.
The first Scientist to ridicule an incompetent Novice receives
3 points (per separate instance of Novice incompetence as
described in this paragraph).

Upon success of this action, the Codex becomes Translated, and
the given Colour and Translation become attributes of that Codex.

IV. The Translation Narrative

The Translation must be a narrative that describes a path through
the Disciplines of Insight and Skill (Disciplines) described in
this rule.  In addition, it is considered good form to use the
Colour of the Codex as a motif in the narrative, but this is for
Funky and Stylish consideration only.

The narrative shall have exactly one section for each Discipline
listed in section V.  Each section shall be exactly one paragraph
long, except for the final section which will be the remainder of
the document after all but the final section have been accounted
for.  Each section shall describe the solving of exactly one of
the Disciplines in section V so that the particular one being
described can be unambiguously identified by a reasonable reading
of the text, and so that each one is represented exactly once.
The sections may appear in any order except that the Discovering
and Building a Gadget Discipline shall be the final section.

Note that the actual description of how each Discipline is solved
only has effect on the actual solution (or requirements of the
solution) where this rule says it does.

V. The Disciplines of Insight and Success

The Disciplines are listed below.  Under each one is the condition
that must have occurred for it to be considered solved.  A condition
is only considered solved for a particular Codex if it occurs while
the solving Novice owns the Translated Codex in question.

A. Adventure

   The Novice achieves the title of Daring Adventurer.

B. Travel

   The Novice goes to the Moon or Planet named in the section
of narrative referring to this Discipline.

C. Foresight

   The single player named in the section of narrative referring to
this Discipline wins a Cycle of Ackanomic.

D. Know Who

   Either Phoebe, an Ancient, or another Scientist endorses the
Novice.  Phoebe is deemed to endorse the Novice upon the Colour
of the Codex in question appearing in her wisdom; an Ancient is
deemed to endorse upon that Colour appearing in the description of
an Automatic Sculpture, and a Scientist is deemed to endorse upon
that Colour appearing in the text of a Blueprint.

E. Contemplation
   
   The Novice spends 3 consecutive days in the Wilds of Ackanomic
without posting a public message.

F. Smarts or Luck or Cunning

   The Novice, or an Organization which the Novice is a member of,
finds a Treasure that contains an Antiquity named in the section of
the narrative referring to this Discipline, or the Novice becomes
the Scholar of *ping*.

G.  Fun and Games

   The Novice wins a Duel (or is Second to the winner of a Duel), or
wins an official Ackanomic subgame (a Game or Contest listed in the
Games & Contests Rule Suite).

H. Music

   A proposal is accepted whose title is the title of a song (and it
can be verified that the song is found in the Games and Contests Music
Database (see rule 1250.3)), and the lyrics of that song contain the
Colour of the Codex in question.

I. Harf

   The single player named in the section of the narrative referring
to this Discipline becomes Harfmeister, or the Novice correctly
points out that the Translation narrative in question contains
the word "Harf" (or reasonable morphologies thereof) used as
four different parts of speech, or the Novice correctly points
out that an active player has the string "Harf" contained within
their name.

J. Discovering and building Gadgets.

   This is the last section of the narrative, and shall be referred
to as the Novice's Thesis.  This text shall describe a new type of
Gadget as if the text were a Discovery (and shall clearly provide the
name of the Discovery).  Unlike the other Disciplines in this list,
this one is never solved, or considered solved.
   
VI. Fulfillment

A Codex becomes Fulfilled upon it being publicly knowable that at
least all but one of the Disciplines up to but excluding the final
(Thesis) one have been solved with respect to that Codex, in the
order referred to in the narrative, and a song (again as verified by
the G&C Music Database) is playing on the ASS that contains in its
lyrics the Colour of that Codex.  (Note that multiple instances of
solving a particular Discipline, or solutions out of order do not
necessarily disqualify, providing an ordered solving can be
demonstrated).

Upon a Codex becoming Fulfilled, the Novice's Thesis becomes a
Discovery as if e played an Otzma Card of type Scientist for a Day
with the Thesis as its text (and the given name as its name), except
that the Novice loses no currency as a result of this, and a counteraction
will not Debunk the Discovery.

If this Discovery is Debunked, the Codex in question crumbles.
Otherwise, upon acceptance of the Discovery, the player graduates
as described in the next section.
   
VII. Graduating to Wizardhood

The following occur in the order listed:

A. A party is held in honor of the graduate.  All Scientists are
expected to make an effort to go to the graduate's location and
give em some sort of gift; failure to do either within 3 days is
the Crime of Snobbery.

B. A Gadget of the type described in the newly created Blueprint is
created in the Novice's possession by the Codex.

C. Rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild", is amended by the Codex to
replace the text of section B., Wizard, with this:

"
The Office of Wizard is a Capital Office with 2 seats. When an
instance of this office has been in the Treasury or Somewhere
Else for at least one second, it is auctioned in a public Auction,
with a minimum bid of A$100. If a player's most recent ownership
of an office of wizard exceeds 6 months and that player has not
made a discovery or gadget during that time and a player points
this fact out, that office is transferred to the Treasury.  It is
customary to refer to Wizards and their Offices by their
attributed Colour.

{{[current text:
The Office of Wizard is a Capital Office with one seat. When the
office is in the Treasury or Somewhere Else, it is auctioned in
a public Auction, with a minimum bid of A$100. If a player's
most recent ownership of the office of wizard exceeds 6 months
and that player has not made a discovery or gadget during that
time and a player points this fact out the office is transferred to
the treasury.]}}
"

Z1. Subsection C of this section of this rule is amended by the Codex
to read:

"
C. Rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild", is amended to replace
all integers in first sentence of the section labeled "B. Wizard"
with the next higher integer.
"

Z2. This rule is amended by the Codex to delete subsections Z1 and
Z2 of this section.

D. The Office of Wizard created as a result of the amendment in
subsection C is given, as an attribute, the Colour of the Codex
responsible for its creation; then the Office is transferred to the
graduate by the Codex [at which point it crumbles].

VIII. Colouring the current Wizard

[This is to make the current wizard a coloured wizard, and I add the
music database to general equipment, which we need anyway]

The Wizard, as a privilege, may name any colour defined in rule
1155 as the colour of eir office.  Upon doing so, the Office of Wizard
is given, as an attribute, that colour.  If the Wizard fails to
exercise this privilege within 3 days of this rule being created,
however, The Office of Wizard is given, as an attribute, a random
colour defined in rule 1155.  Upon the office of Wizard being attributed
with a colour, the following text is appended to the end of rule
1250.3, "General Equipment":
"
VII. Music Database

a) http://www.allmusic.com
"

then this section (VIII), which includes the next paragraph,
is removed from this rule.

[sorry about that, but I'm not sure if doing it this way avoids that
new annoying crime :-).  If anyone has a better music database, feel
free to add it on... I found a lower than expected hit rate on
this one]

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 10:41:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Monster

	Vunce agen, I am beginning ze conztruction of a monzter!  Zis von
iz named Fazandarthum.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:46:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Randomness

Rex Mundi has found either the Great Raft or Great Oars of Ackanomic,
whichever is to be distributed today.

breadbox has once again found the Chocolate Frog, and is First Citizen
of Ackanomic.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--Pink Floyd:A Nice Pair
Current Book--Tesseracts5
This message will self-describe in 30 seconds.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #231
*******************************