Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #210
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Friday, June 26 1998         Volume 03 : Number 210

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:16:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput (official query)

>I would be curious to see the pre-digest email.  On a more practical(?)
>level, I did also want to sometime find out the exact times of acceptance of
>all Proposals, and while /dev/joe provided me with a lot of information, it's
>only from the 500's or so onward...

Robert Sevin has all official email messages (and then some) from the very
first one. Thinking of that, I believe they should be made available to all
somewhere, lest some disaster strikes.

Hmm... I'm wondering about burning them on a CD, along with all the web
pages and information. Doing this on a particular day would be a good idea,
imho, and I'll probably do it. Could we have some day and time when every
officer can agree to have every web page, every file correct and accurate,
nothing "in progress"?

CnH
not awol

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:25:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput (official query)

> Hmm... I'm wondering about burning them on a CD, along with all the web
> pages and information. Doing this on a particular day would be a good idea,
> imho, and I'll probably do it. Could we have some day and time when every
> officer can agree to have every web page, every file correct and accurate,
> nothing "in progress"?

No, probably not.  :-)  If we're going to do that, we should practically
declare a holiday so that we don't have to update them.  Or just bring down
the mail server.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Neil Young:After The Gold Rush
Current Book--Steven Brust:Agyar
But tonight the tarmac shall feast!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput (official query)

>No, probably not.  :-)  If we're going to do that, we should practically
>declare a holiday so that we don't have to update them.  Or just bring down
>the mail server.  :-)

How about a holiday in July or August? The game is going pretty slowly these
days (low email volume) and it may yet slow down more later this summer.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput

At 11:42 PM 6/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I, too, have basically every e-mail ever sent. I'll be glad to help out
>> anyone who wants copies of the e-mail.
>
>I would be curious to see the pre-digest email.  On a more practical(?)
>level, I did also want to sometime find out the exact times of acceptance of
>all Proposals, and while /dev/joe provided me with a lot of information, it's
>only from the 500's or so onward...

Just give me the dates you are interested in, and I will endeavor to get
the mail to you. Of course, I may have to send it as one large text file,
unless you know of some better way to do it -- I'm using Eudora.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput (official query)

>Robert Sevin has all official email messages (and then some) from the very
>first one. Thinking of that, I believe they should be made available to all
>somewhere, lest some disaster strikes.

I actually was not in the game from its inception. I joined something on
the order of 4 hours after it began, so I didn't get the very earliest
mail. Ackers may still have it -- I'm not sure.

Harf,
Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 02:09:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NOTICE: Wilma is Kaput (official query)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> >No, probably not.  :-)  If we're going to do that, we should practically
> >declare a holiday so that we don't have to update them.  Or just bring down
> >the mail server.  :-)
> 
> How about a holiday in July or August? The game is going pretty slowly these
> days (low email volume) and it may yet slow down more later this summer.

It would be hard to slow down more - given that the current slowdown is
due in part to the conspicuous absence of the Promoter and Tabulator
(seeing as no new proposals have been distributed for over a week, and
some proposal results are two days _over_due).

What has happened to breadbox?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:20:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whoo-Hoo

Moo!
Whoo-Hoo,
    One down, four more to go! Keep up the good work :)

K 2
Quack Quack?

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I am chewing the Gumball today.  It's nice and peaceful and quiet around
> here, so I can chew it for a long time without being disturbed.  It's got
> a Spice Girls wrapper, with Geri marked with a red "X" in crayon.
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--The Motels:New York Times
> Current Book--Wild Cards: Card Sharks
> The road to hell has a silver lining.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:24:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fwd: Acka: Scrolls]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
- --------------6D88F9CE0D4DA820AA599D63
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- --------------6D88F9CE0D4DA820AA599D63
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:25:53 +1000
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.03 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked]
CC: John Bollinger <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Scrolls
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Moo!

John Bollinger wrote:

> Dear K2:
>
> Considering the current game events, I decided to check the P/E page to
> verify my belief that I own a Scroll of Crumble.  I was surprised to find
> that, according to the p/e page, I do not.  No doubt this state of affairs
> preceded your taking over the responsability for tracking these things.
> It is, also, possible that I traded away the Scroll that I at one point
> had, and that I just don't remember.  How do you recommend resolving this?
>
> ThinMan

This is a reply to ThinMan's query re: Scroll of Crumble. Why am I forwarding
this to the main list? 'Cause I don't want it to be found that two weeks after
ThinMan uses eir scroll of crumble that e had already used it in some message
I have missed....

First of all I haven't harfed any transfers wrt to ThinMan and a SoC.
Secondly searches amongst the mail I have received since I joined the game
revealed the following ThinMan/Scroll of Crumble transaction:

8 Dec 1997 11:21:11 ephemeral Scroll of Crumble from SBoC
8 Dec 1997 11:47:15 ephemeral Scroll of Crumble used (Silver Moon nominee :)

No help there...

Thirdly searches amongst the email archive revealed the following transaction
resulting from an auction initiated by Malenkai on a SoC owned by em:
- ----------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:01:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Results

The following auctions ended this evening.

#transfer Malenkai, ThinMan: Scroll of Crumble : Auction
#transfer ThinMan, Malenkai: 150 A$ : Auction

#transfer Malenkai, CarsesraC : Little Bag O' Chips E : Auction
#transfer CarsesraC, Malenkai : 5 A$ : Auction

Chief Cheese
- --------------------------------------------
>From that point on I can not find any instance were ThinMan used a Scroll of
Crumble. This particular transaction occurred early (ish) in Chaos' reign of
terror as Financier (26.3.97) so it could be possible e missed it. Which
brings up the question was the A$ transfer effected? Certainly the Little Bag
O' Chips E seems to have vaporized with CarsesraC's Undead....

Is it necessary for me to supply reasoning why I think ThinMan owns this
Scroll? Simply put the trade was legal, rule 701's pragmatism clause only
covers illegal and impossible changes (and thus prevents officers from
maliciously affecting the game state;) therefore ThinMan owns a Scroll of
Crumble.

So with that out of the way, the pe has been suitably undated awaiting further
information....

Rule 701 quoted for convenience:
If, however, the illegality or impossibility of a publicly knowable change to
the game state goes unreported for at least 14 days,
the action or inaction which caused that change is considered legal, but it is
still a Crime. The change is deemed to have occurred
retroactively to the time of the attempt. The preceding does not apply to the
case of events which occur automatically, but whose
occurrence is not (or erroneously) reported [e.g., loss of the Great
Trombone]. This paragraph has precedence over rule 103.

Quack Quack?

- --------------6D88F9CE0D4DA820AA599D63--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Swingpoint Summary

Moo!

Duncan Richer wrote:

> Swingpoints for Fortnight ending 22/8.

Didn't Alfvaen receive an Ale on 10 Jun 1998 22:58:00 ?Aren't Ales equiv.
to Fairplays now?

> No FairPlay awards were given out in the last fortnight.
>
> 3: Dennis and Edna

who?

> 73 Dennis and Edna

Quack Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: science for sale

Moo!

Tom Kitten,
Long time no post :)

On Fri, 29 May 1998 23:49:40 -0400 (EDT) you were found to be AWOL (see
rule 257). Since you were still pending at that time you were removed
from the game. In order to rejoin youll need to post a message stating:

i) you wish to rejoin.
ii) your previous Ackanomic Name (Tom Kitten)
iii) your real name (Jackie C. Badger)
iv) a vaild email address ([email-masked])

Currently (if you were still a player) you would own A$721.

Jackie C. Badger wrote:

> Hey, I am a new player how can I make some money?

Quack Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:48:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Scam, Counterscam

Moo!

> {{ Append the sentence "This sentence repeals itself seven seconds after
> it becomes part of a Rule." to the end of Rule 611, "Le Grand Fromage." }}
> FOREHAND

What does this acheive?

K 2

Quack Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Well, Okay...

Moo!
Church of EBS started building a SoC at 25 Jun 1998 09:01:26
Vulcan started building a SoC at  25 Jun 1998 13:27:35
Moral Kiosk started building a SoC at 25 Jun 1998 16:37:50

K 2

Quack Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 06:01:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: 

Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!Moo!

I donate A$ 10 to the twits... for recent twity offences..

K 2

Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 06:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: JMB returns

I return from vacation.
JMB

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: 

> Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
> A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack

As a member of the Senate, I think, I disapprove of this proposed
purchase.

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:38:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Acka: Scrolls]

Moo!

I forgot to do this earlier, but.... I wish to nomiate ThinMan for the
[unregulated] title of Expert in Long Term Memory,
while it may be ture other players may be experts in this field only
ThinMan has demonstrated the ability to remeber a
transaction that occoured over a year ago and has not been displayed on
the pe page ever....

K 2

Quack Quack?

K2 wrote:

>                                                   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject: Re: Acka: Scrolls
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:25:53 +1000
> From: K2 <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: John Bollinger <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
>
> Moo!
>
> John Bollinger wrote:
>
> > Dear K2:
> >
> > Considering the current game events, I decided to check the P/E page to
> > verify my belief that I own a Scroll of Crumble.  I was surprised to find
> > that, according to the p/e page, I do not.  No doubt this state of affairs
> > preceded your taking over the responsability for tracking these things.
> > It is, also, possible that I traded away the Scroll that I at one point
> > had, and that I just don't remember.  How do you recommend resolving this?
> >
> > ThinMan
>
> This is a reply to ThinMan's query re: Scroll of Crumble. Why am I forwarding
> this to the main list? 'Cause I don't want it to be found that two weeks after
> ThinMan uses eir scroll of crumble that e had already used it in some message
> I have missed....
>
> First of all I haven't harfed any transfers wrt to ThinMan and a SoC.
> Secondly searches amongst the mail I have received since I joined the game
> revealed the following ThinMan/Scroll of Crumble transaction:
>
> 8 Dec 1997 11:21:11 ephemeral Scroll of Crumble from SBoC
> 8 Dec 1997 11:47:15 ephemeral Scroll of Crumble used (Silver Moon nominee :)
>
> No help there...
>
> Thirdly searches amongst the email archive revealed the following transaction
> resulting from an auction initiated by Malenkai on a SoC owned by em:
> ----------------------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:01:10 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Auction Results
>
> The following auctions ended this evening.
>
> #transfer Malenkai, ThinMan: Scroll of Crumble : Auction
> #transfer ThinMan, Malenkai: 150 A$ : Auction
>
> #transfer Malenkai, CarsesraC : Little Bag O' Chips E : Auction
> #transfer CarsesraC, Malenkai : 5 A$ : Auction
>
> Chief Cheese
> --------------------------------------------
> >From that point on I can not find any instance were ThinMan used a Scroll of
> Crumble. This particular transaction occurred early (ish) in Chaos' reign of
> terror as Financier (26.3.97) so it could be possible e missed it. Which
> brings up the question was the A$ transfer effected? Certainly the Little Bag
> O' Chips E seems to have vaporized with CarsesraC's Undead....
>
> Is it necessary for me to supply reasoning why I think ThinMan owns this
> Scroll? Simply put the trade was legal, rule 701's pragmatism clause only
> covers illegal and impossible changes (and thus prevents officers from
> maliciously affecting the game state;) therefore ThinMan owns a Scroll of
> Crumble.
>
> So with that out of the way, the pe has been suitably undated awaiting further
> information....
>
> Rule 701 quoted for convenience:
> If, however, the illegality or impossibility of a publicly knowable change to
> the game state goes unreported for at least 14 days,
> the action or inaction which caused that change is considered legal, but it is
> still a Crime. The change is deemed to have occurred
> retroactively to the time of the attempt. The preceding does not apply to the
> case of events which occur automatically, but whose
> occurrence is not (or erroneously) reported [e.g., loss of the Great
> Trombone]. This paragraph has precedence over rule 103.
>
> Quack Quack?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

Moo!
I retract my attempted purchase.
K 2
Quack Quack?

John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> > Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> > Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
> > A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> > Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
>
> As a member of the Senate, I think, I disapprove of this proposed
> purchase.
>
>                                    - Vynd
>
> [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:

> Moo!
> I retract my attempted purchase.
> K 2
> Quack Quack?
> 

I'm not sure that you can.  I strongly recommend that my fellow Senators
still denounce this.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Return

I am unsure whether I actually petitioned for membership in the Twits
after disqualifying myself from the Hubert treasure, but in case I
haven't, I do so now.

I also give A$1 to the Twits.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Tom Walmsley [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, June 25, 1998 6:24 PM
>To:	Acka
>Subject:	Acka: Return
>
>
>2. I accept anyone who has petitioned for membership of the twits but not yet
>gained membership into the twits or suggest that they be admitted or whatever
>it needs for any such players to become members.
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Return

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:
>Moo!
>
>> 2. I accept anyone who has petitioned for membership of the twits but not yet
>> gained membership into the twits or suggest that they be admitted or whatever
>> it needs for any such players to become members.
>
>This is a little too broad... when someone reapplies then we can take an org
>action...

Okay, if I am not a member of the Twits, I reapply.  I have in the past
donated money to the Twits for rather idiotic game actions.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:06:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: 

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:

>Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
>A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack

I urge all senators to object to this.  I certainly do.
(nice try K2).

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:
> 
> >Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
> >A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> 
> I urge all senators to object to this.  I certainly do.
> (nice try K2).

I also object to this.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:10:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jackie C. Badger" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: science for sale

At 05:48 AM 6/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Moo!
>
>Tom Kitten,
>Long time no post :)
>
>On Fri, 29 May 1998 23:49:40 -0400 (EDT) you were found to be AWOL (see
>rule 257). Since you were still pending at that time you were removed
>from the game. In order to rejoin youll need to post a message stating:
>
>i) you wish to rejoin.
>ii) your previous Ackanomic Name (Tom Kitten)
>iii) your real name (Jackie C. Badger)
>iv) a vaild email address ([email-masked])
>
>Currently (if you were still a player) you would own A$721.
>
>Jackie C. Badger wrote:
>
>> Hey, I am a new player how can I make some money?
>
>Quack Quack?
>
>
>
>
>Actually I have a dew need for my e-mail for class, and I would rather not
have this many messages please remove me from the mailing list si that I do
not continue to recieve messages about Ackanomic thank you, Jackie C. Badger
aka Tom Kitten

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:01:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Acka: Scrolls]

K2 wrote:

>I forgot to do this earlier, but.... I wish to nomiate ThinMan for the
>[unregulated] title of Expert in Long Term Memory,
>while it may be ture other players may be experts in this field only
>ThinMan has demonstrated the ability to remeber a
>transaction that occoured over a year ago and has not been displayed on
>the pe page ever....

I must decline.  As a matter of fact, the Scroll _was_ listed on the
p/e page as recently as six months ago (or so).  I don't check such
things too often.  In fact, I am pretty sure it was on the p/e page
at the time that I created the temporary Scroll from the SBoC.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:21:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacant Offices and other points

As far as I can tell the following offices are currently vacant:

DeeJay
Illuminatus
President
2 Senate seats.

Also as far as I can tell, I am still Count Tabula. I believe that I should
now call for nominations for all of these. If I am wrong of course then
please tell me. If I am right then get in touch with me to nominate yourself
(note: this is not set to acka-priv because it contains other stuff).

As far as the CFJs and what have you go, could you please send me anything
you think is relevant Slakko/JT? Also, what happens with appeals assigned to
cortices when one justice was on vacation after that justice returns?

As a final note for now, I've lost all my old Acka mail since just before my
monitor went out I had installed MS IE4 (coincidence?) and had to uninstall
it and reinstall IE3 last night before I could get my computer to work.

Mr. Tambourine Man, off to take a look at subgames. :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:14:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: 

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:
> 
> >Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
> >A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
> 
> I urge all senators to object to this.  I certainly do.
> (nice try K2).
> 
> --JT
> 

Ah yes, thats the wor, object.  I object!

                             - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:18:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacant Offices and other points

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> As far as I can tell the following offices are currently vacant:
> 
> DeeJay
> Illuminatus
> President
> 2 Senate seats.
> 
> Also as far as I can tell, I am still Count Tabula. I believe that I should
> now call for nominations for all of these. If I am wrong of course then
> please tell me. If I am right then get in touch with me to nominate yourself
> (note: this is not set to acka-priv because it contains other stuff).

I believe that breadbox called for nominations for all of these posts, as
Tabulator it is his duty when thre is no Count Tabula.  Let me add my
voice to the ever-growing chorus and ask, "Where is breadbox?"

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:29:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacant Offices and other points

> I believe that breadbox called for nominations for all of these posts, as
> Tabulator it is his duty when thre is no Count Tabula.  Let me add my
> voice to the ever-growing chorus and ask, "Where is breadbox?"

Ah yes, breadbox called for elections for President and Senator on the 18th
and then posted his last message on the twenty-first. This means that we can
get Alfvaen to send him an AWOL message on the 28th so it will presumably be
the first when he is placed on vacation and the fifth when he would be placed
on ice, presuming he isn't back by then. 

However, I'm unsure whether or not it needs to go that far before we can call
another hearing. My initial feeling is that nothing stops me from calling
them again now. In fact looking again at breadbox's message when e called the
nominations I believe this is more or less what I should do. E wrote:

"I believe that there was a Nomination for Deejay going on at some
point which ended a while ago. I received no Nominations for this
Office. (Unfortunately I have no way of knowing who may have nominated
themselves before MTM became "incapacitated".) Since it is an Optional
Office, it therefore remains vacant."

I received no nominations for either of these posts. Since they aren't
optional there is an argument for the nominations being continued until
someone nominates themselves at which point they get the post. I have already
received a nomination for president and one for senator. Can someone else
give me some feedback on which of these three options they favour:

1. Do nothing. Wait for breadbox to return and let him give out the results.
2. Start a new hearing and treat it as if the other one had never been
called.
3. Appoint the people who have already applied to the positions.

MTM, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:40:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR

I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following CSR numbered 143 as
delimited by HELP:

HELP
In rule 611 replace the phrase "achieve a winning condition" with "lose all
their A$ and have the number of cycles they have won reduced to 0".

{{[Note: I very much doubt this will get through, I'm just trying to see how
committed the scammers are.]}}
HELP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:52:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

> I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following CSR numbered 143 as
> delimited by HELP:

[...]

I object to this CSR.  I am neutral w.r.t to the scam, but always object
to CSRs that substantially change the way the game is played.

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

> > I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following CSR numbered 143 as
> > delimited by HELP:
> 
> [...]
> 
> I object to this CSR.  I am neutral w.r.t to the scam, but always object
> to CSRs that substantially change the way the game is played.

One question:
If this were the only way to break the scam, and you were neutral w.r.t
it, would you still object to the CSR, thereby putting you on the pro-scam
side, or would you grudgingly let the CSR pass, putting you
not-always-anti-objection?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:02:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

>I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following CSR numbered 143 as
>delimited by HELP:
>
>HELP
>In rule 611 replace the phrase "achieve a winning condition" with "lose all
>their A$ and have the number of cycles they have won reduced to 0".
>
>{{[Note: I very much doubt this will get through, I'm just trying to see how
>committed the scammers are.]}}
>HELP

I object to this CSR.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacant Offices and other points

> Can someone else give me some feedback on which of these three options 
> they favour:

I always favor the option described in the rules.  Lets see if we can figure
that out without pretzelizing them :).  All of the offices in question are
political.  Rule 401 regulates how they are filled when vacant, viz.:

> Vacancies in a particular Political office are filled by election for
> office (by the procedure in R 402), unless other rules specify otherwise.

We know that already.  breadbox has already started elections for at least
some, if not all of the offices in question (remember, a nomination is a
sub-step of *election* in this case).

Commom sense indicates that once an election for a particular office is
started, another one does not.  However, it is the rules that guide play,
not common sense, and in reading rules 401 and 402 very carefully, I see 
no prohibition on running 100 elections; indeed, the offices remain vacant
during the first election, so why not a second?  Perhaps game custom will
constrain the interpretation of the quoted section from rule 401 above to
limit it to one election; if so, we have to wait for breadbox, or {{proposal
magic or CSR magic}} the situation if he does not return.  If game custom
does not provide this constraint, then it seems you can call another 
election as described in rule 402.  I recommend a CFJ on this specific
matter if you are interested in sticking to the rules.

So what happens if you can call 2 elections at the same time for the same 
office?  Assume breadbox (B) and MTM (MTM) have both called elections 
as described in rule 402:

Both officers are required by the rules (rule 402) to report the results,
as constrained by the speed clause of rule 401.  Failure to do so is 
malpractice and blatant disregard.  So, one of you can break the rules
by not reporting at some point, or you will both eventually report (B has
already broken the speed clause, but rule 402, section (ii), subsection 
(f) still requires him to report to avoid blantant disregard:

> f) At the end of the Election Period, the appropriate Officer shall
> publicly announce the vote tallies for each Nominee, and
> which Nominee(s) shall hold the Office. 

So either B, MTM, or both shall report the results at some point. If 
exactly one of you report the results, those results will hold sway as 
described in sections g) and h) of rule 402, someone will be breaking the
rules, and aside from that, the problem goes away.

If exactly both report, I believe whichever report comes first will cause
the offices to be filled. This is supported by the following from rule 402:

> g) Letting N stand for the number of vacant Seats for the Office in 
> question, the top N Nominees, ranked by votes received, shall hold the 
> Office. 

Once this process is applied as a result of the first report, there will no
longer be any *vacant* offices for section g) to operate on (assuming no 
one resigns between the reports, etc), thus the second report will bounce.

So, it is up to you whether to call an election or wait.  I do not believe
the rules *prohibit* you from doing so, assuming they are strictly construed
as discussed in the game custom paragraph above.  If you can and do, the
above is how I analyize the effects (with a very quick look at the rules, 
mind you ... :-) )

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:30:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

> I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following CSR numbered 143 as
> delimited by HELP:
> 
> HELP
> In rule 611 replace the phrase "achieve a winning condition" with "lose all
> their A$ and have the number of cycles they have won reduced to 0".
> 
> {{[Note: I very much doubt this will get through, I'm just trying to see how
> committed the scammers are.]}}
> HELP

It appears that our CSR may be the second guilty of our new sin, if in fact
the sin is created.

I object to this CSR.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:36:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

> If this were the only way to break the scam, and you were neutral w.r.t
> it, would you still object to the CSR, thereby putting you on the pro-scam
> side, or would you grudgingly let the CSR pass, putting you
> not-always-anti-objection?

This would not put me on the pro-scam side, IMO.  I would stick with 
my objection to a CSR that substantially changes the game (unless we had
a crash that could not be fixed by crisis resolution), and not care
what purpose is being served.  Moreover, forgetting the scam, this 
particular change to the rules is one I am against as well.  A more 
appropriate CSR, IMO, would have been:

Append the following to rule 101:  "{{all attached pyriac frobnotzers
are destroyed}}"

This distills it down to scam/anti-scam a bit better, and doesn't add gizz
to the rules :-)

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:40:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacant Offices and other points

[...]

> So, it is up to you whether to call an election or wait.  I do not believe
> the rules *prohibit* you from doing so, assuming they are strictly
construed
> as discussed in the game custom paragraph above.  If you can and do, the
> above is how I analyize the effects (with a very quick look at the rules, 
> mind you ... :-) )

That was essentially what I was expecting but I thought I'd best make sure
beforehand. As it happens I have already called the elections so I have no
options but to report the result or break the rules. The former sounds good
to me :-). Thank you for the help (I'm still getting back into the swing of
things here :-).

Mr. Tambourine Man.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:48:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

> This would not put me on the pro-scam side, IMO.  I would stick with 
> my objection to a CSR that substantially changes the game (unless we had
> a crash that could not be fixed by crisis resolution), and not care
> what purpose is being served.  Moreover, forgetting the scam, this 
> particular change to the rules is one I am against as well.  A more 
> appropriate CSR, IMO, would have been:
> 
> Append the following to rule 101:  "{{all attached pyriac frobnotzers
> are destroyed}}"
> 
> This distills it down to scam/anti-scam a bit better, and doesn't add gizz
> to the rules :-)

The problem with that would have been that by the time the CSR came into
being the frobnotzer would have taken effect. At least, presuming I've
remembered the correct time periods for the two things.

MTM.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #210
*******************************