Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #205
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Monday, June 22 1998         Volume 03 : Number 205

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 01:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offer

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:

> Anyone interested in selling me a swingpoint?
> 
> I offer A$ 20 for a swingpoint.
> 
> K 2

I accept your offer.

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offer

I retract all further swingpoint/offers and convert 4 swingpoints into a
bonus vote.

K 2
who's last conversion was on the 30th May

Uri Bruck wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:
>
> > Anyone interested in selling me a swingpoint?
> >
> > I offer A$ 20 for a swingpoint.
> >
> > K 2
>
> I accept your offer.
>
> Niccolo Flychuck
>
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 626 (Slakko)

Slakko has been selected.

This is a CFJ. Customary headings have been included as delimiters only.

Call For Judgement 626
Subject: Extinct Offices
Initiator: K 2 (sent June 21 1998, 10:30 Acka)
Judge: Slakko

Statement:
K 2 holds the office of Caped Crusader.

Reasoning:
The rule defining The office of Caped Crusader has been repealed. Game
custom holds that entities continue to exist after the rule defining em
is repealed, thus the office (having been defined as an entity)
continues to exist. Furthermore K 2 was not explicitly removed from
office. If the entity continues to exist, should not K 2's relationship
to it continue as well?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 623 (Vynd?)

Joe Java has declined.  
I can't recall if Vynd became a Justice.  If not, e has been selected.

Call For Judgement 623
Subject: Royal Frinking
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent June 19 1998, 22:46 Acka)
1st Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (chosen June 20 1998, 03:11 Acka)
2nd Judge: Joe Java (chosen June 21 1998, 03:43 Acka)
3rd Judge: Vynd

Statement:

Slakko did not receive a Boon of the Ancients on June 19th or 20th because
of Rule 1390.2.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Slakko repeated five times the action of creating and frinking Right-Handed
Grapefruit Juice on June 19th.  Then e claimed that this satisfied the
condition of the newly-created Rule 1390.2, of having frunk "5 Frinks
which are defined as Royal".

Now RHGFJ is indeed defined as a Royal Frink by Rule 1390.2.  However,
I do not believe that the condition of Rule 1390.2 can be satisfied by
drinking the same Royal Frink five times; it will have to wait on at
least four other Frinks being defined as Royal.  In other words, one can
drink as many individual instances of RHGFJ as one likes, but they are
all the same Royal Frink, and only count for one Royal Frink towards a
Boon.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:52:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Big White Gazette

The Big White Gazette
"Urfle noom!  Norgrindly eltron wanilgus."

Treasure, Treasure, Treasure! (by Alfvaen)

On May 14, I buried three Treasures, whose numbers I don't know because I
haven't looked at the Treasure page to find out.  (And I'm not Financier
any more, so I don't _have_ to know!  Ha!)  The deadline for these passed on
June 14th, almost a week ago now, so I guess it's time to figure out who
found them.

The first Treasure, which consists of Sculpture 17(anyone else think it was
weird of me to go to such great lengths to find the Malenkai's Vase treasure
and then give it away so profligately?  Me too), had a map that was just
as I revealed:

  Sculpture 17 shall be found by the player who creates the best
  Scrabble-tile story(ies), as judged by me, over the next 31 days.
  By "Scrabble-tile story", I mean a story which uses as its letters
  exactly those letters which can be found in a standard (American English)
  Scrabble set.  (Anyone who doesn't have one of those to hand, email me
  for letter counts.)  Blank tiles may, of course, be used for any letter.
  The authors of all stories give up first publication rights to the Big
  White Gazette.  (Multiple submissions may increase one's chances, but
  only up to a point.)

There were a total of three submissions, two from JT and one from /dev/joe,
which I reproduce here below(with the blank tiles marked by capitalization
toggle).

JT(1):
The quiz every xenobiologist just worked upon is over.   Crap! Another
guage will be needed to aim at any diffErinG Malacasi.

[ Using a made up name I thought was a bit unfair. ]

JT(2):
"The quizling goblin is dead."
"How difficult?"
"Xena just smacked it up."
"Verily, a great warrior, a boon to see."
"Aye, never moRe on paR."

[ Pretty clever, I thought. ]

/dev/joe:
I said to a rude beaver, "Many a page in ancient stories is true, like
the following: A quicK brown fox jumped over the lazy dogS."

[ Not bad, but using a pangram is a sort of shortcut... ]

Thus I declare that JT has found the Treasure, with eir second Scrabble
story.

Then there was the Onyx Vase Treasure, whose map was as follows:

  The Onyx Vase shall be found by the player who, over the next 31 days,
  submits the best band name(s) to my Random Band Name Server.  Said server
  can be found at http://www.albertanet.com/aaron/bands/, unless I am
  mistaken, or failing that from my home page(URL in .sig).  Since there is
  no way otherwise for me to tell who is submitting which ones, include your
  name or other unambiguous identifier along with the band name--ambiguous
  submissions will not be counted(though will, probably, be added).  Quantity
  does not necessarily count, since I will probably be going by average
  quality here.  All judgement is final, and any band names submitted are
  considered to freely usable by anyone who wants them.  (Penalties will be
  assessed for anyone who submits a real band's name, even inadvertently.
  Search the Band Register(www.bandreg.com)if you want to make sure.)

Three players submitted band names:

/dev/joe:
   Ack! A Band!
   Pile of Instruments

Mr. Tambourine Man:
   The Centipedes
   Blurry Eyed
   Space Age Masons
   Losing Your mind
   Wearing Gingham
   Radiant breadbox

Slakko:
   Lorenz and the Strange Attractors
   Bifurcation Tango
   Slip-On Soul
   Moon Over Malawi
   2 Guitarists and a Smart Drummer?

Now, I thought "Pile of Instruments" was pretty clever, as was "Radiant
breadbox", but this Treasure has been found by Slakko, because of "Slip-On
Soul" and "Moon Over Malawi", and the generally more consistent nature of
eir entries.

Then there was the mixed Treasure, consisting of a Rock To Wind A String
Around, the "6", Consolation Prize 2, Small off-duty Czechoslovakian
traffic Warden 6, and The Folly of Fooling with Anyone Whose Name Begins
with 'Sla'.  The map I posted was:

Yjod ytrsditr ,su nr gpimf nu s [;surt ejp royjrt drmfd S;gbsrm dp,r
S,rtovsm dys,[d. pt r;dr drmfd r, s ;ody pg yjr ytsvld pm yjr s;ni,
Shsomdy S;; Hpfd
nu Ept;f pm Rfhr/  S tsmfp, dr;rvyopm eo;; nr ,sfr s,omh wis;ogorf
rmytsmys/  )Drmf r,so; gpt sm sfftrdd yp drmf dys,[d yo/_

This was encrypted the same way the Mu-Cow treasure was, and decoded(with
a few typos corrected)it comes out to:

  This treasure may be found by a player who either sends Alfvaen some
  American stamps, or else sends em a list of the tracks on the album
  "Against All Gods" by World on Edge.  A random selection will be made
  among qualified entrants.  (Send email for an address to send stamps to.)

The qualified entrants were JT, who sent me some stamps, and Slakko, who,
while e didn't actually get me a list of the tracks on the album, provided
some magazine references that may, once I get around to looking em up,
find some clues.  A random determination between these contestants shows
that JT has found this Treasure as well.

Billboard Challenge Update

Well, in the most recent games, the new players have dropped out, and the
return of /dev/joe's Godel Escher Bach has left the previous game's
contestants in the running.

Temple of Azpiazu Records--Alfvaen
Azpiazu Records--Alfvaen
Godel Escher Bach--/dev/joe
Slakkology--Slakko
Sonic Vynd--Vynd

Score(Placing)

Game 63:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Temple of Azpiazu       1189(#205)  2438(#100)  3493(#147)  4740(#104)
Wild Ackan Productions  1078(#376)  2186(#281)  3104(#347)  3898(#408)
Sonic Vynd               889(#582)  1715(#577)  2451(#590)  3170(#588)
Azpiazu                  878(#587)  1641(#590)  2401(#597)  3090(#597)

Game 64:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Azpiazu                 1013(#581)  1946(#597)  3002(#560)  3980(#537)
Temple of Azpiazu        847(#658)  1564(#666)  2292(#665)  3003(#667)
Wild Ackan Productions   867(#653)  1381(#680)  1852(#681)  2300(#682)

Game 65:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Temple of Azpiazu       1078(#206)  2442(#140)  3699(#127)  4904(#112)
Azpiazu                  650(#248)  1140(#248)  1610(#248)  2062(#248)

(Note the supreme consistency of Azpiazu records here, holding the same
position--probably last place--for four weeks in a row!)

Game 66:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Temple of Azpiazu       1280(#220)  2742(#125)  3999(#104)  5218(#101)
Godel Escher Bach       1355(#171)  2655(#165)  3824(#160)  4883(#170)
Sonic Vynd              1010(#415)  1918(#425)  2715(#428)  3406(#436)
Azpiazu                  766(#457)  1512(#455)  2205(#452)  2835(#453)

(Godel Escher Bach started out ahead of Temple of Azpiazu Records, in its
first week back, but ToA leapt ahead in the second week.)

Game 67:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Godel Escher Bach       1757(#4)    3134(#19)   4408(#29)
Temple of Azpiazu       1416(#217)  2733(#171)  3959(#160)
Slakkology              1557(#76)   2792(#136)  3953(#164)
Sonic Vynd              1420(#214)  2579(#251)  3707(#253)
Azpiazu                  980(#421)  1796(#426)  2613(#425)

(This may be the game that decides it, folks!  GEB's stunning first-week
performance has dropped back a little bit, but will the fourth week be
enough to drag it out of the Top 50?  Also note Temple of Azpiazu Records'
rise from fourth place among Ackanomic contestants to second...)

Game 68:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Temple of Azpiazu       2076(#9)    3629(#13)
Sonic Vynd              1382(#276)  2803(#195)
Godel Escher Bach       1401(#261)  2787(#205)
Azpiazu                  911(#440)  1712(#442)

(Temple of Azpiazu Records comes close to duplicating Godel Escher Bach's
start of the previous week.  In this case, it was entirely due to remembering
how Master P's album "Ghetto D" started low in the first week and shot up to
#1 in the second...and counting on his new album, "MP Da Last Don", to do the
same, which it did.)

Game 69:
                          Week 1      Week 2      Week 3      Week 4
Godel Escher Bach       1481(#108)
Sonic Vynd              1350(#239)
Temple of Azpiazu       1332(#255)
Azpiazu                 1028(#509)

And that's all for now, kids.  Stay tuned for the results of Game 67, which
may be the last for this Treasure...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Merril Bainbridge:Mouth
Current Book--Nicole Luiken:Overdue
Needless to say, all my thumbnails are clickable.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Rafting Results

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Players: K 2, Fortunato, else...if, Attila the Pun
# 1) Water Pollution
# 2) Lost In The Wilds
# 3) Capsized (Gadget Loss)
# 4) Capsized (Concussion)
# 5) Success!
# Alfvaen

No. of sides on every die:      5
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      4

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Jun 22 06:56:16 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id GAA12849 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 22 Jun 1998 06:56:16 -0700
> Received: from edtntnt2-port-253.agt.net(209.115.133.253) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma012841; Mon Jun 22 06:56:14 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by concordia.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id HAA00489 for [email-masked]; Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:56:16 -0600
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Raft
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:56:15 -0600 (MDT)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 5
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Rafting Results
> 
> #C Players: K 2, Fortunato, else...if, Attila the Pun
> #C 1) Water Pollution
> #C 2) Lost In The Wilds
> #C 3) Capsized (Gadget Loss)
> #C 4) Capsized (Concussion)
> #C 5) Success!
> #C
> #C Alfvaen
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNY5ikT8NitsTFjcVAQHGcQQAuaOWCRpkVjSulPy93r+R8AB1j7FmZCgM
fHUuyg7QZ73ReqCraCKKSwU9veifjczTa19ZXwnd0ZIbVQrXvdgcFM+p73I6vSp/
ly5W203b985Wz7PwExjh1VcD0rs/Ms3IPXOneU4wGISzaPTmMaGJKJ6Zgu5zF5sx
RNdI2kT+Cso=
=DQ/E
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:06:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting Results

> # Players: K 2, Fortunato, else...if, Attila the Pun
> # 1) Water Pollution
> # 2) Lost In The Wilds
> # 3) Capsized (Gadget Loss)
> # 4) Capsized (Concussion)
> # 5) Success!
> # Alfvaen

>       4

So four Gingham Dresses are awarded, and four players had better not ignore
the laws of nature for the next week...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Merril Bainbridge:Mouth
Current Book--Wild Cards: Card Sharks
'Lead me in with a count of seventeen, Mr. Stapleton, then wave your baton!'

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:21:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 623 (Vynd?)

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Joe Java has declined.  
> I can't recall if Vynd became a Justice.  If not, e has been selected.
> 
> Call For Judgement 623

I never id, and now that I am employed again I probably won't become one
in the immediate future unless thee is some pressing need for more
Justices.  In any event, I accept this CFJ, or whatever it is we do to
them these days.

                                     - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 623 (Vynd?)

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> I never id, and now that I am employed again I probably won't become one
> in the immediate future unless thee is some pressing need for more
> Justices.  In any event, I accept this CFJ, or whatever it is we do to
> them these days.

Super. I don't want to ego you on that much, but there's no explicit
acceptance any longer, so all you need do is actually return judgement.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:09:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 624 (else...if)

>else...if has been selected.
>
>Call for Judgement 624
>Subject: Amending Return Dates
>Initiator: Alfvaen (sent 20 June 1998, 00:19 Acka)
>Judge: else...if
>
>Statement:
>
>Pandora's Expected Date of Return from Vacation is June 30, 1998.
>
>Alfvaen's Reasoning:
>
>On June 5, 1998, Pandora put emself on Vacation, "until the end of June".
>On June 19th, Pandora, while still on Vacation, posted "I shall return
>by Wednesday 8 July".  Now, I consider this to either be a statement of
>general information, or an attempt to change the EDR.  Now, I don't believe
>that the current Rules allow this, but who knows?

Judgement: FALSE
Reasoning:
	Rule 255 says "A player should specify the expected duration of
their vacation."  It says nothing about when the date must be specified.
Although a default vacation length is given, there is no indication that
the duration cannot be changed.  Rule 255 says that "The only thing a
player on vacation may legally do is take himself off vacation and send
public messages."  Note that it is possible for a vacationing player to go
on vacation, since all that is neccessary is sending a public request, NOT
performing any kind of action.  Specifying the return date also appears to
require only the sending of a public message, so this is in fact a
legitimate change, and Pandora's return date is July 8.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:41:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 624 (else...if)

Moo!

Evil doer.

Quack, quack?

Towsner wrote:

> >else...if has been selected.
> >
> >Call for Judgement 624
> >Subject: Amending Return Dates
> >Initiator: Alfvaen (sent 20 June 1998, 00:19 Acka)
> >Judge: else...if
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >Pandora's Expected Date of Return from Vacation is June 30, 1998.
> >
> >Alfvaen's Reasoning:
> >
> >On June 5, 1998, Pandora put emself on Vacation, "until the end of June".
> >On June 19th, Pandora, while still on Vacation, posted "I shall return
> >by Wednesday 8 July".  Now, I consider this to either be a statement of
> >general information, or an attempt to change the EDR.  Now, I don't believe
> >that the current Rules allow this, but who knows?
>
> Judgement: FALSE
> Reasoning:
>         Rule 255 says "A player should specify the expected duration of
> their vacation."  It says nothing about when the date must be specified.
> Although a default vacation length is given, there is no indication that
> the duration cannot be changed.  Rule 255 says that "The only thing a
> player on vacation may legally do is take himself off vacation and send
> public messages."  Note that it is possible for a vacationing player to go
> on vacation, since all that is neccessary is sending a public request, NOT
> performing any kind of action.  Specifying the return date also appears to
> require only the sending of a public message, so this is in fact a
> legitimate change, and Pandora's return date is July 8.
>
> --
> -Henry Towsner
>
>         <[email-masked]>
>
>         Success is the child of audacity.
>                 -Benjamin Disraeli

and just to be sure:Quack, quack?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:17:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

ThinMan has found the Magic Potato.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Crash Vegas:Aurora
Current Book--Wild Cards: Card Sharks
Her hair spilled out like rootbeer...

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #205
*******************************