Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #200
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Thursday, June 18 1998        Volume 03 : Number 200

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 611 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)

I would just like you to know that I am not impressed that these non-CFJ
thingies  _always_ ;) seem to occur while I have a CFJ pending.

I create a trinket called "CFJ 614 |A|" valued at A$ 1, its description is "A
picture of me looking impressed with a large red (possibly Murrey) cross on it".

K 2

Randy Hall wrote:

> > The statements which have been distributed by JT labelled as CFCJ 166 and
> > CFCJ 167 are not, in fact, CFCJs.
>
> It is the opinion of the Cortex of the Golden Frog that this statement
> is true.
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:00:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure Burial

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> /dev/joe

  Did I miss something ?

K 2 :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Reharfing the CFJ split

>CFJ 610: As this verdict was delivered by Alfvaen to JT, it was not actually
>delivered to the CotC and Alfvaen has gone deadbeat unless he sent a verdict
>to Mr Tambourine Man before MTM went on vacation.

>So, the net effect is: saaremaa, Alfvaen, and 867-5309 are each refunded
>a court fee.  The Mu-Cow Hunter (twice) and JT (once) are not penalized for
>TRUE CFCJ's.  JT, rufus, and saaremaa are not penalized for appealing CFJ's.
>Alfvaen may have been penalized for going deadbeat and put on the CIL.

This also means that the Office of Praetor is vacant.  I'd be willing to let
someone else have a turn, so I could be a Justice.  :-)

>Part of this means that Mu-Cow Hunter is still a player, which means one
>more abstainer on a number of proposals, possibly a vote by the Mu-Cow
>Hunter on his proposal, depending on when the rule had him casting votes,
>and he is the Harfmeister.

Good thing I never did anything when I thought I was Harfmeister...

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
Current Album--Prince:The Black Album
Current Book--Truddi Chase:When Rabbit Howls
If you don't give cats milk, they turn back into dragons.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure Burial

K2 wrote:
> Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > /dev/joe
> 
>   Did I miss something ?

Just a case of snowgod's other disease.  For those of you like K2 who
weren't here when snowgod left AckaNomic, by the time he did, he'd had
so many different names (Mr. Nacho, Mr. Lunatic Fringe/Finger, and
er Phil) that you never knew what name he was going to sign a message
with. :-)

Dennis and Edna

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 05:44:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 610 (Slakko)

Alfvaen deadbeated on this one.  It has been reassigned to Slakko, as the
post of Praetor is vacant (due to Alfvaen's deadbeating).

Call For Judgement 610 - Jun 03, 1998
Subject: Wilds
Initiator: Hubert (sent Jun 01, 1998, 02:55)
1st Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 03, 1998, 11:51)
2nd Judge: Slakko

Statement:
The Order of the Razor Boomerang is in the Wilds of Ackanomia.

Initiator's Reasoning:
On Sun, 31 May 1998 20:39:33 -1000, Hubert (as e was then known) said "I
suggest the Order of the Razor Boomerang go to the Wilds of Ackanomia and
scream lyrical curses at the B-Ack.  This, too, happens..." Since Hubert
is the Founder of the Order of the Razor Boomerang, Church Policy allows
em to specify that an Organizational Action may occur without the approval
of the other members, and e did so.  So the action, if legal, took place.

But was it legal?  The Rules make no mention of whether or not Locations
may contain Organizations; only players are specifically referred to.  But
the Rules do imply that other types of entities may be in certain
Locations.  Most notably, "Entities may not be transferred to and/or from
Somewhere Else except whereas..." (R800), which clearly specifies that
other types of Entities than Players may be Somewhere Else.  No special or
unique powers are granted to the Location known as Somewhere Else,
therefore by induction we can assume that other Locations may also contain
non-Player entities... such as Organizations.

Other examples of Rule-sanctioned nonplayer entities being in Locations
are Buildings (defined by R839), although the wording of subsequent Rules
seems to imply that Buildings, rather than being in Locations, _are_
Locations.  (cf. "The Museum is a classy building...and a Common
Location")  Also, any kind of entity may be in the Treasury or the
Museum, both of which either are or are contained in Locations.

So I really see no reason why this shouldn't occur.  And, of course, it
gives us a chance to recite poetry...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 05:46:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 610 (FALSE)

Slakko has judged this FALSE.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 610 - Jun 03, 1998
Subject: Wilds
Initiator: Hubert (sent Jun 01, 1998, 02:55)
1st Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 03, 1998, 11:51) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Slakko (selected Jun 18, 1998, 05:45)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:
The Order of the Razor Boomerang is in the Wilds of Ackanomia.

Initiator's Reasoning:
On Sun, 31 May 1998 20:39:33 -1000, Hubert (as e was then known) said "I
suggest the Order of the Razor Boomerang go to the Wilds of Ackanomia and
scream lyrical curses at the B-Ack.  This, too, happens..." Since Hubert
is the Founder of the Order of the Razor Boomerang, Church Policy allows
em to specify that an Organizational Action may occur without the approval
of the other members, and e did so.  So the action, if legal, took place.

But was it legal?  The Rules make no mention of whether or not Locations
may contain Organizations; only players are specifically referred to.  But
the Rules do imply that other types of entities may be in certain
Locations.  Most notably, "Entities may not be transferred to and/or from
Somewhere Else except whereas..." (R800), which clearly specifies that
other types of Entities than Players may be Somewhere Else.  No special or
unique powers are granted to the Location known as Somewhere Else,
therefore by induction we can assume that other Locations may also contain
non-Player entities... such as Organizations.

Other examples of Rule-sanctioned nonplayer entities being in Locations
are Buildings (defined by R839), although the wording of subsequent Rules
seems to imply that Buildings, rather than being in Locations, _are_
Locations.  (cf. "The Museum is a classy building...and a Common
Location")  Also, any kind of entity may be in the Treasury or the
Museum, both of which either are or are contained in Locations.

So I really see no reason why this shouldn't occur.  And, of course, it
gives us a chance to recite poetry...

Slakko's Reasoning:

The reasoning below was unfortunately submitted by Alfvaen to JT, rather
than Slakko, who was really Acting CotC at the time.  While the direction
of the message was erroneous, the verdict was not, so I'll just repost
Alfvaen's reasoning:

While I'm sure we would all like to find out whether or not Organizations
can go to Locations, I'd rather clear up whether the action was attempted
in the first place.

The initiator's reasoning claims that Church Policy can declare an
Organizational Action to be one that the Founder can direct the Church
to attempt without any input from the other members.  Let's see what
the Rules have to say on this.

Rule 1005, "Organizational Action", specifies the familiar method for an
Organization to attempt actions, although it does defer to all Rules.
Do the Church Rules allow 863-5937 to do as e claims?

The powers of Church Policy, under Rule 1301, seem to be as follows:

     -- to constrain Church Members from performing certain Actions(or
        otherwise committing Iconoclasm, except by omission).
     -- to describe how Church Policy is changed.
     -- to define seniority of Priests.
     -- to define how decisions are made by the Priesthood.
     -- to redefine Church membership policy.
     -- to take the unilateral power to trade Church assets away from the
        Founder(or give it to others as well).

And how does Rule 1301 state that Churches may take Actions?  It is
entirely silent on the matter!

So I fail to see that Rule 1301 really allows Church Policy to say
anything about how, in general, Churches perform actions.  Transferring
Church assets, and admitting new members, perhaps, but nothing beyond
that.  Thus, I believe that the Order of the Razor Boomerang did not,
in fact, attempt to move to the Wilds of Ackanomia.

So the whole question of whether or not the action could have succeeded is
irrelevant to my verdict, and frankly I don't feel like struggling with the
whole matter right now, so I'll leave it for a future judge.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:06:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Once again

Vynd wrote:

>I off a Share My Expenses Otzma Card and A$50 in exchange for a Pulse
>laser Gadget.

I accept this offer.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:02:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 166a (Koxvolio)

Koxvolio has been selected.

Call For Criminal Judgement 166 - June 8, 1998
Subject: Mu-Cow Hunter, Crime of Disinterest
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent June 18, 1998, 10:04 am Acka)
Judge: Koxvolio

Statement:

The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Blatant Disregard on June 7,
1998.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Rule 250, "Registered Players", states that "A player is any person who is
registered as a player."  Well, the Mu-Cow Hunter is not a person, and the
clause of the Rules which may have allowed this to pass was repealed by
Proposal 3158 on June 7(23:57 EDT, so just barely).  So obviously the Mu-Cow
Hunter, by being a player but not being a _person_, has violated Rule 250.

Suggested Punishment:

EXPULSION from the game of Ackanomic.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:53:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: All This and Nominations Too

I am announcing two Nominations for the Office of Senate, seats
/dev/senate and Sinecure 33.

I am announcing a Nomination for President.

Reply to this message to nominate yourself. Specify the Office (and
seat, if applicable).

I believe that there was a Nomination for Deejay going on at some
point which ended a while ago. I received no Nominations for this
Office. (Unfortunately I have no way of knowing who may have nominated
themselves before MTM became "incapacitated".) Since it is an Optional
Office, it therefore remains vacant.

If there were other Nominations going on that I have no covered here,
I am unaware of them and would appreciate gentle enlightenment....

If MTM doesn't make a reappearance by the end of these nominations, I
may consider appointing someone to replace him for the nonce. If
someone wants to be that replacement, let me know.

(I'm beginning to think that the rules regarding Count Tabula and the
Tabulator should be altered ... the two offices haven't been
integrated in ages, and they no longer bear a great deal of
resemblance to each other.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:29:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 620 (Koxvolio)

Koxvolio has been selected for this one as well.

CFJ 620
Subject: Existence of Zaknafien
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent June 18, 1998, 10:08 Acka)
Judge: Koxvolio

Statement:

At 23:59 Ackatime on June 10, 1998, there existed a player with the
Ackanomic name Zaknafien.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Rule 252, "Joining the Game" states: "A person wishing to join the game,
and who cannot do so as a Returning player, should notify the Registrar,
providing a valid email address, their real name, the legal Ackanomic
name they wish to play under, and optionally the Ackanomic name of the
current active player who convinced them to join the game or where they
heard about the game. Upon them providing this information, should the
requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the Registrar shall
post a public message announcing the new player and providing their
Ackanomic name, real name, and email address, and if the prospective
player provided it, the optional information. Upon the posting of such
an announcement, the person becomes registered as a player."

The person with email address <[email-masked]> supplied, for "real
name", the name "John".  I'd like to know here whether or not this is
sufficient for em to have joined.  The fact that, for instance, Archie
Leach joined supplying only the name "T. Miller", may be precedent for
this.  There are also some players listed in the archive without supplied
real names, like WAMPHYRI, cobber, and, in fact, SonOfWu when e joined
originally as Narcisse was listed with the name "Hapexamendios".  However,
it's possible that they joined at a time when the Rules were laxer on
allowing new players to join--cobber on 3/27/96, Narcisse on 3/29/96, and
WAMPHYRI on 4/10/96.  So this might require some research.

Far be it from me to block Zaknafien--I do like that name--from joining,
but this should be cleared up now.

(Additional information: I posted the first message, with real name "John",
announcing Zaknafien joining at 20:00 on June 10, 1998.  The original
version of this CFJ came out at least a day later.  Also, as regards K 2,
I may have just been confused by eir first and last name being the same.
:-)  Or maybe I'm just inconsistent...)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:07:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Cheese

It hasn't been mentioned publicly or on the web page yet, but P3185, which
made me briefly be the Harfmeister, also was my 10th consecutive accepted
proposal to give me a stilton.

Dennis and Edna

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: To the moon, Alice!

It is my intention to go to the moon (again)
I play my Skeleton Key Card...
*poof* I should be there (barring any more pesky CFJs...)

- -- Joe Java
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
     Follower of The Church of The GBS & The Markovian 
     Dream | Priest of the Order of the Razor Boomerang | 
     Member (Proxied) of the Razor Boomerangs | Scorekeeper
     of Eleusis Nomic

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: To the moon, Alice!

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

>It is my intention to go to the moon (again)
>I play my Skeleton Key Card...
>*poof* I should be there (barring any more pesky CFJs...)

I don't think this worked since you didn't specify which moon.  Currently
there are 3 (Kansas, Ganymede, and Titan I believe).
The question is, did this actually play the key or was it ambiguous enough
that it didn't occur?

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: To the moon, Alice!

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> >It is my intention to go to the moon (again)
> >I play my Skeleton Key Card...
> >*poof* I should be there (barring any more pesky CFJs...)
> 
> I don't think this worked since you didn't specify which moon.  Currently
> there are 3 (Kansas, Ganymede, and Titan I believe).
> The question is, did this actually play the key or was it ambiguous enough
> that it didn't occur?

Rule 1240.16 states that the card may only be played in the public forum.
It further states that playing the card means that "a Player may do one of
the following things".

It does not force the player to do one of those things (including moving
to another location, one which e could not normally move to).  Hence the
play of the card was legal, but it does not move Joe Java to any moon.

Yours,
Slakko
RuneMaker
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:05:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: To the moon, Alice!

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> I don't think this worked since you didn't specify which moon.  Currently
>> there are 3 (Kansas, Ganymede, and Titan I believe).
>> The question is, did this actually play the key or was it ambiguous enough
>> that it didn't occur?
>
>Rule 1240.16 states that the card may only be played in the public forum.
>It further states that playing the card means that "a Player may do one of
>the following things".
>
>It does not force the player to do one of those things (including moving
>to another location, one which e could not normally move to).  Hence the
>play of the card was legal, but it does not move Joe Java to any moon.

That is what I was afraid the answer would be.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I was

> > I create a Trinket known as "my hand", with a value of A$7 and a
> > description of "A large Ackan hand sculpted from purest eggplant, perfect
> > for raising, giving, or having."
> 
> In all threads in which this action occurred, I am complaining that
> this trinket is lame, inane, and otherwise useless and of negligible
> artistic merit.  I name 867-5309 and 'my hand' to be judged by the CPPIA.
> 
> The valid responses are:

> this is the hottest thing since the 'Hubert Feathers'

This response won by an 11-6 vote.

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:21:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: donations

Greetings Ackazens!  I'm rather busy these days, but I'm taking the time
to donate a BWG Laser, BWG Shotgun Attachment, and 2 Pulse lasers (one of
which was created by my ACME card a day and a half ago) to the Cubical
Earth Implementation Society.

Then, just to be on the safe side, I am creating an infinite number of
"items".  Then I'm donating them to the CEIS.  I repeat this process an
infinite number of times.  Then I repeat this process an infinite number
of times.  Then I start over again...

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #200
*******************************