Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #198
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Tuesday, June 16 1998        Volume 03 : Number 198

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

I go to the Library, I enter *that* room.

I return home.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

>I go to the Library, I enter *that* room.
>
>I return home.

I believe it has been less than 24 hours since K 2 entered *that* room
and thus, this action isn't allowed.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:37:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

>I believe it has been less than 24 hours since K 2 entered *that* room
>and thus, this action isn't allowed.

Indeed. But can you tell me what the subject line means?

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

> >I believe it has been less than 24 hours since K 2 entered *that* room
> >and thus, this action isn't allowed.

> Indeed. But can you tell me what the subject line means?

"You know you have been playing Ackanomic too long when you can read this?"

Just off the top of my head.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Xavion:Eat Your Heart Out
Current Book--Truddi Chase:When Rabbit Howls
If you sit around anywhere long enough, you'll die.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka :Swingpoint->Benefyt

I am converting 10 of my Swingpoints into 1 Benefyt

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Shell

I suggest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a BWG laser in K 2's
possession.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Time's up for you, Slakko, Vynd, Dennis and Edna

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:

> I'm going to the Senate, where I'm starting a demonstration.
> I demand elections, as Slakko, Vynd and Dennis and Edna
> have been glued to their seats long enough.

Which seat?  I'm not a Senator.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka :Swingpoint->Benefyt

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> I am converting 10 of my Swingpoints into 1 Benefyt

Sorry, no.  This is a transfer of the same type as your last transfer, and
not a conversion of Swingpoints into points.  Hence you need to wait a
fortnight, not just a week, by Rule 1044.

Yours,
Slakko
ChessUmpire
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

>"You know you have been playing Ackanomic too long when you can read this?"
>
>Just off the top of my head.

The top of your head needs no more blessing.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:35:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Elections are Due

To those wishing to start their Presidential campaigns, now is the time.
My term of Office expired on the 13th, so the Tabulator (as Count Tabula
is still on Vacation) should be announcing it very soon.

Yours,
Duncan
ex-President
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: They're coming home....

 I return to my house and enter my cellar.

 Wild Card.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing a Silly Agenda Hat.   \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 05:38:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

Apparently I have.

But in my defense.. only in spurts.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 06:22:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 616 (J. M. Bear)

> X^n+Y^n=Z^n: no integer solutions for n>2.
>
> I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this,
> but it won't fit into my sig file.

n^x+n^y=n^z: no integer solutions for n>2.
I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this,
but it's too small for my sig file.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:34:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Time's up for you, Slakko, Vynd, Dennis and Edna

> > I'm going to the Senate, where I'm starting a demonstration.
> > I demand elections, as Slakko, Vynd and Dennis and Edna
> > have been glued to their seats long enough.

> Which seat?  I'm not a Senator.

All Offices have seats...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Mental As Anything:Live It Up
Current Book--Truddi Chase:When Rabbit Howls
The only way to travel is to get someplace

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:52:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 618 (TRUE)

Slakko has judged this TRUE.
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 618 - June 15th, 1998
Subject: Rule 340 again
Initiator: breadbox (Sent June 15th, 1998 07:06 Acka)
Judge: Slakko (Selected June 15th, 1998 10:24 Acka)
Verdict: TRUE

Statement:
A short time after the adoption of Proposal 3194, the text in Rule 340
that read "{{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains two
points. [He reminded me about the need to do this.]}}" was applied
once and then deleted.

Reasoning:
I have no firm argument at this point, and on the whole would rather
have an official decision on the matter.

Once Proposal 3194 had passed, the text of Rule 340 no longer enjoyed
blanket immunity from its own definition of self-deleting text. It
seems pretty certain that the sentences quoted in this CFJ's statement
then immediately qualified as such, and were subsequently deleted.

What I'm wondering is, were they applied once before being deleted?
One could argue that, certainly, they weren't self-deleting text
before, and they are now, so they would have to be applied before
being deleted. But one could also argue that they already had been
applied, quite some time before. And in fact a prior CFJ has already
determined that they were applied, at that time, and would not be
applied again.

It may be worth noting that the proposal immediately following this
one altered Rule 205, which might have otherwise had had an effect on
this situation, but I believe no longer does. (Of course, I could be
wrong. These rule changes are less than fifteen minutes old as I write
this, so I may well have overlooked something.)

Judge's Reasoning:
When Proposal 3194 was adopted, it amended Rule 340, and changed the text
responsible for deleting self-deleting text.  Therefore, any application
of the self-deleting text under the new rules would be distinct from that
required under the rule prior to its amendment.  Therefore, the new Rule
340 saw the self-deleting text, applied it once, then deleted it..

Hence I judge TRUE.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:18:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 168 (TRUE)

JT has judged this TRUE.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgement 168 - June 14, 1998
Subject: Slakko's crime of Lying in Print
Initiator: 867-5309 (Sent June 14th, 1998 00:16 Acka)
Judge: Koxvolio (Selected June 14th, 1998 00:59 Acka) (declined)
2nd Judge: JT (Selected June 15th, 1998 14:39 Acka)
Verdict: TRUE

Statement:
On 11 June 1998, Slakko committed the Crime of Lying in Print.

Reasoning:
Rule 925, "The Press," states that "It is the Crime of Lying in Print for
a Player to refuse to publish, in a newspaper ... a correction of a
clearly false statement ... after a public request for such a correction
has been made.  Simply neglecting to publish such a correction for a
period of three days or more after the request shall be taken as a refusal
to do so."

The June 7th issue of The Infrequent Ackan contained, with respect to the
currently active game of Word Un-Association, the statement "With two
players having left suddenly, we are reduced to a six player situation in
Game 2."  The game of Word Un-Association in question began on April 3,
1998, with seven players: Mr. Tambourine Man (then The Gingham Wearer),
JT, Slakko, rufus, else...if, Koxvolio, and Attila the Pun.  867-5309
(then Hubert) was refereeing.  Since then, else...if has left the game,
leaving six players.  I, as Referee, did not receive any message
constituting another player's departure.  It could perhaps be argued that
Slakko referred to the sudden and unintentional Vacation taken by Mr.
Tambourine Man, but e certainly did not leave the game; e has only taken,
well, a vacation from it.  

In any case, by Slakko's own admission six players remain.  The game
started with seven, since the Referee was not playing and does not count
as a player.  Barring radical alterations to fundamental principles
of basic mathematics made without my knowledge, I fail to see how seven
minus two equals six.  I do, however, readily admit my deficiency with
regard to knowledge of things mathematical when compared to others
present, and am quite willing to be shown to be wrong.  Otherwise, though,
I think it can be determined that the statement in question was false.

Then, on Monday, 8 June, 867-5309 stated, in the acka-games forum:

"The Infrequent Ackan claimed that two players had left to date.  If so, I
missed the other message and would appreciate if the editor could please
let me know who the other absentee [besides else...if] is.  Otherwise, I
respectfully request that TIA retract the statement..."

Since Slakko never posted a clarification (although e is certainly not
required to) the third sentence above can be considered to have taken
effect.  Thus, on June 11, it became 3 days since the request was posted,
and since Slakko also did not post a retraction/apology, by Rule 925 e has
Lied in Print and must be punished.

In order for this CFCJ to be judged TRUE, it is incumbent upon the judge
to determine whether the statement in question is actually false (i.e., no
player besides else...if has left to date and MTM's abrupt and 
unanticipated Vacation did not count as eir leaving the game), whether the
above post from 867-5309 actually constituted a request for a retraction
(it could possibly be construed that it didn't) and whether, indeed, no
retraction and/or apology was/were issued.  These all being the case, I
would recommend the following

Suggested Penalty:
At least a 10-line APOLOGY.
Perhaps the TRANSFERENCE of one or more entities, at the judge's
discretion (although the Feather Bed would do nicely), from the criminal
to the initiator of this CFCJ to cover emotional damages.

Reasoning:
I see no flaw in the reasoning presented by the initiator, and was unable to
find any such retraction in the archives.

Penalty:
A 10 line PUBLIC APOLOGY

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 618 (TRUE)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 618 - June 15th, 1998
> Subject: Rule 340 again
> Initiator: breadbox (Sent June 15th, 1998 07:06 Acka)
> Judge: Slakko (Selected June 15th, 1998 10:24 Acka)
> Verdict: TRUE
> 
> 
> Judge's Reasoning:
> When Proposal 3194 was adopted, it amended Rule 340, and changed the text
> responsible for deleting self-deleting text.  Therefore, any application
> of the self-deleting text under the new rules would be distinct from that
> required under the rule prior to its amendment.  Therefore, the new Rule
> 340 saw the self-deleting text, applied it once, then deleted it..
> 
> Hence I judge TRUE.

I appeal this.  I just don't think that this is sound reasoning.  The {{}}
text has to be inserted into the rule before itr is applied, correct?  if
that is the case, it was self-deleting text in 340, which at the time, was
not self-deleting.  It may have only been applied once, but that is a
different issue.  

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:12:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 611 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

>The Cortex of the Golden Frog has been selected.
>ThinMan has been selected to fill in for the vacationing Mr. Tambourine
>Man.

I misspoke here.  Dennis and Edna had already been selected to act as
Justice for the vacationing Mr. Tambourine man, so I was incorrect to try
reassigning it.  (I had for some reason thought that the justice was
picked randomly for each CFJ, but that is not what the rules say.  My
apologies).

This CFJ is under appeal andbeing heard by the Cortex of the Golden Frog,
temporarily composed of Saaremaa and Dennis and Edna.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:18:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 618 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)

The Cortex of the Golden Frog has been selected.
Dennis and Edna is acting Justice for the Vacationing Mr. Tambourine Man.
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 618 - June 15th, 1998
Subject: Rule 340 again
Initiator: breadbox (Sent June 15th, 1998 07:06 Acka)
Judge: Slakko (Selected June 15th, 1998 10:24 Acka)
Verdict: TRUE
Appealed: rufus (Appealed on June 16th, 1998 10:32 Acka)
Cortex: Cortex of the Golden Frog (Saaremaa and Mr. Tambourine Man with 
        Dennis and Edna acting for Mr. Tambourine Man) (Selected
        June 16th, 1998 11:17 Acka)

Statement:
A short time after the adoption of Proposal 3194, the text in Rule 340
that read "{{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains two
points. [He reminded me about the need to do this.]}}" was applied
once and then deleted.

Reasoning:
I have no firm argument at this point, and on the whole would rather
have an official decision on the matter.

Once Proposal 3194 had passed, the text of Rule 340 no longer enjoyed
blanket immunity from its own definition of self-deleting text. It
seems pretty certain that the sentences quoted in this CFJ's statement
then immediately qualified as such, and were subsequently deleted.

What I'm wondering is, were they applied once before being deleted?
One could argue that, certainly, they weren't self-deleting text
before, and they are now, so they would have to be applied before
being deleted. But one could also argue that they already had been
applied, quite some time before. And in fact a prior CFJ has already
determined that they were applied, at that time, and would not be
applied again.

It may be worth noting that the proposal immediately following this
one altered Rule 205, which might have otherwise had had an effect on
this situation, but I believe no longer does. (Of course, I could be
wrong. These rule changes are less than fifteen minutes old as I write
this, so I may well have overlooked something.)

Judge's Reasoning:
When Proposal 3194 was adopted, it amended Rule 340, and changed the text
responsible for deleting self-deleting text.  Therefore, any application
of the self-deleting text under the new rules would be distinct from that
required under the rule prior to its amendment.  Therefore, the new Rule
340 saw the self-deleting text, applied it once, then deleted it..

Hence I judge TRUE.

Appealer's Reasoning:
I appeal this.  I just don't think that this is sound reasoning.  The {{}}
text has to be inserted into the rule before itr is applied, correct?  if
that is the case, it was self-deleting text in 340, which at the time, was
not self-deleting.  It may have only been applied once, but that is a
different issue.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:27:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jackie C. Badger" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Registrarness

At 11:50 PM 5/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
>
>On Sat, 9 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>
>> 
>> We have a new player and a new observer in Ackanomic.
>> 
>> The new player is a Mr. Jackie C. Badger, <[email-masked]>, who has
>> chosen the Ackanomic name Tom Kitten.  I have been assigned as eir
>> Mentor.  E hasn't named any Sponsors, so I presume em to have found us
>> entirely independently.
>> 
>> The new observer is...well, eir email came from "Kitty Kat
>> <[email-masked]>", but e has subscribed under <[email-masked]>.
>> What eir real name is I have no idea, but if we really need to know I
>> imagine Vynd can find out(if e doesn't already know).
>> 
>> 
>> Let's give them a warm hearty welcome or something!
>> 
>
>Howdy Tom Kitten!  Hello Kitty Kat!  I've always been a cat person,
>myself.
>
>So far as I know, I've never met "heitchue", U of M is an awfully big
>school after all.
>
>I may as well take this opportunity to mention that I am now an alumnus of
>the University of Michigan, having graduated a week ago.  In a move that
>would surprise no one who knows me, I've moved back home until I find some
>sort of job.  I should be staying at my current email address for the
>forseeable future (assuming I remember to pay the bills).
>
>                               - John "Vynd" McCoy
>
>[email-masked]
>
>> 
>> --
>> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
>> Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
>> Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
>> Life is a placebo masquerading as a simile.
>> 
>
>Thank You for the warm welcome, sorry I've been out of touch

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:35:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Mu

>On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:
>
>> >
>> And I do too, as does my Evil Ballot Stuffer.
>Me too!
>

So do I. (surprise, surprise.)

>rufus
>
>>
>> Rex Mundi.
>>

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:28:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Shell

>I suggest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a BWG laser in K 2's
>possession.
	I support this suggestion.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mu

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:
> 
> > This reminds me, I nominate the Mu-Cow Hunter for induction into the Hall of
> > the Elders.
> 
>  I support this nomination. 
> 

I also support this nomination.  I dare say, no more deserving player has
ever left the game.

                                     - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #198
*******************************