Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #172
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Monday, June 8 1998         Volume 03 : Number 172

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 00:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Name Change

I am changing my name to the following double-quote-delimited
string:  "Dennis and Edna"

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

> I am changing my name to the following double-quote-delimited
> string:  "Dennis and Edna"

I ack this.  Going for a palindrome, are you, now that the Seven Deadly
Sins proposal passed?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Robert Miles:One And One
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Frameshift
I'm an antisolipsist--everybody exists except me.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: CFCJ 166 (Thin Man)

Thin Man has been selected as the judged.

- --------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgement 166 - June 8, 1998
Subject: Mu-Cow Hunter, Crime of Disinterest
Initiator: Saaremaa (sent June 7, 21:10)
Judge: Thin Man (selected June 8, 00:48)

Statement:
The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Disinterest on June 7th, 1998.

Initiator's Comments:
See rule 422; the rules no longer allow the Mu-Cow Hunter
to get away with not being subscribed to a mailing list.
Lets clean it out.

Suggested Penalty:
EXPULSION from the game.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:51:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 167 (867-5309)

867-5309 has been selected as the judge.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Criminal Judgement 167 - June 8, 1998
Subject: Mu-Cow Hunter, Crime of Blatant Disregard
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent June 7, 21:52)
Judge: 867-5309 (selected June 8, 00:49)

Statement:
The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Blatant Disregard on June 7, 1998.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:
Rule 250, "Registered Players", states that "A player is any person who is
registered as a player."  Well, the Mu-Cow Hunter is not a person, and the
clause of the Rules which may have allowed this to pass was repealed by
Proposal 3158 on June 7(23:57 EDT, so just barely).  So obviously the Mu-Cow
Hunter, by being a player but not being a _person_, has violated Rule 250.

Suggested Punishment:
EXPULSION from the game of Ackanomic.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ACKA: CFCJ 166 (Thin Man)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, JT wrote:
[CFCJ removed]

I hope that people will forgive me for forgetting Acka in the subject when
I posted this.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 02:18:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> >On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, JT wrote:
> >
> >> With the end of the auction having occuring, I play my Otzma Card
> >> Share My Expenses (on the purchase of the OC Acme InstaGadget that
> >> just occured) naming A$60 and Atilla The Pun.
> >
> >This fails.  You have too many Otzma Cards to use any of them.
> >See Rule 1240.1.
> 
> Incorrect, I gave 2 of the ones listed on the PE page to the OotRB.  Thus
> with the 5 that I won, plus the SME above, I had 6, which is exactly
> legal.

The RuneMaker page has you listed as having 9.  That still leaves you with
1 too many, despite giving 2 to the OotRB, when I fix that up.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 02:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

>The RuneMaker page has you listed as having 9.  That still leaves you with
>1 too many, despite giving 2 to the OotRB, when I fix that up.

Well, the PE page had me listed as having 3 before giving 2 to the OotRB.
(which see a previous mail, I actually don't think happened now, unless
they are giftable, in which case it might have)
After giving 2 and winning 4 I should have had 5, not 7.
I'm gonna check your page and see if I can spot the problem.

... accessing web page .... accessing web page ....

The map shard card you list for me having was played on Treasure 195
sometime last month (I don't have an actual date, but it was played, I
promise)

The paratroop card you have me listed as having, I never actually got.
That was awarded to me for a reading of the ackanomicon that didn't
actually happen, and was retconned.

Those two are the discrepancies that I note, and brings my total to 7
if I didn't actually give two to the OotRB or 5 if I did.

- --JT
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 02:41:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions once more

Yeesh.

Okay, Otzma Cards are gift entities, so I don't believe that the OotRB
had to actually accept them from me, so therefore, I did in fact give the
two cards to them.  I hope that my previous mail where I retracted that
was obviously conditional enough on the fact that at that moment (having
not at that point checked the rules), I believed that there might be some
doubt as to whether the cards were actually given, and that I wasn't
actually going to destroy a card in the event that I didn't in fact have
to.

If it wasn't obviously conditional, then ah well, but we'll see.

Anyway.. As I pointed out in the previous mail, I should not in fact have
two of the OC's listed as being owned by me (a Paratroop and a Map Shard).

Therefore, at the start of all of this (before giving the OC's to the
OotRB), I had 3.
I gave 2 of those 3 to the OotRB (which worked since they are gift
entities).
I then recieved 3 new cards today leaving me with 4 total.
(since I didn't get the shield card because the auction was voided)

I then played one (Share my Expenses) as previously described
(on the purchase of the Acme InstaGadget) naming Atilla the Pun and
A$60.

I then offered the Acme InstaGadget to K2 for A$135.

Hopefully this is all cleared up and I now have 3 OC (including the one
pending trade).

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 02:44:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Ouch!

Hrm.. Looking at Rule 510, the question is, would that auction be
voluntary or involuntary debt.

Koxvolio certainly had the money for each seperate purchase, merely all
the purchases together were insufficient, so it's possible he might just
have gone into debt involuntarily instead of the auction being voided.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 03:04:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Ouch!

> Hrm.. Looking at Rule 510, the question is, would that auction be
> voluntary or involuntary debt.
> 
> Koxvolio certainly had the money for each seperate purchase, merely all
> the purchases together were insufficient, so it's possible he might just
> have gone into debt involuntarily instead of the auction being voided.

It makes sense to me - I have enough money now and what if somebody had
overbid me on one of the other cards? I would then have had the money to
afford the Shield card.

Also, I don't really want to force everyone to rebid on the Shield
auction, since now that I have the money I would want to rebid anyway...

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Acka] CFCJ 166 (Thin Man)

> Thin Man has been selected as the judged.
> 
I suppose it is reasonable to accept "Thin Man" as an unambiguous
misspelling of "ThinMan."  It does have the same primitive form.
I guess I can also accept "judged" as a misspelling of "judge."
I cannot be selected as Judge, of course, being a Justice, but
I appreciate the thought.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:22:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gift

I am creating a trinket valued at A$1 named Parting Gift, its description:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I am giving the Parting Gift to The Mu-Cow Hunter.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:40:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions once more

> Okay, Otzma Cards are gift entities, so I don't believe that the OotRB
> had to actually accept them from me, so therefore, I did in fact give the
> two cards to them.

ICOCBW, but it has been game custom in the past that it is _possible_ to
offer a gift entity conditional on the acceptance of the recipient, and if
you actually use the word "offer" then that's what happens.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Colin James Hay:Hold Me
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Frameshift
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:05:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Acka] CFCJ 166 (Thin Man)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Bollinger, John C. wrote:
>> Thin Man has been selected as the judged.
>> 
>I suppose it is reasonable to accept "Thin Man" as an unambiguous
>misspelling of "ThinMan."  It does have the same primitive form.
>I guess I can also accept "judged" as a misspelling of "judge."
>I cannot be selected as Judge, of course, being a Justice, but
>I appreciate the thought.

Ahh.. right you are.  My most humble apologies, and I will reselect a
correct judge for CFCJ 166. (I had missed the line in the rules that
exempted Justices and acting Justices from judging CFJs)
Thanks for pointing it out.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:16:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions once more

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> Okay, Otzma Cards are gift entities, so I don't believe that the OotRB
>> had to actually accept them from me, so therefore, I did in fact give the
>> two cards to them.
>
>ICOCBW, but it has been game custom in the past that it is _possible_ to
>offer a gift entity conditional on the acceptance of the recipient, and if
>you actually use the word "offer" then that's what happens.

Oh, you are probably right, and I did offer it, in which case, I did need
to destroy one of my cards unless 867-5309 was able to unilaterally accept
my offer. Gah.. this is one knotted tangle.

My *intent* was to not have to destroy any cards.   However, if I had to
destroy any, I should at most have had to destroy one (in the case that I
won 4 cards and not 3).  If in fact the shield auction was void, I still
didn't need to destroy any cards, and so would not have.

If I did have to destroy one card, I would have destroyed one of the Share
My Expenses.

The other actions that I've been trying to perform would then have taken
place.

Slakko, you seem to have the best grasp on how/what occured when here
(except that you had me listed as owning two cards that AFAIK I didn't).
If I did still own any of those two cards, I would destroy whichever of
those cards (Map Shard, Paratroop) that I still owned before doing the
actions.

Now, the actions.
If I have an offer pending of cards to the Order of Razor Boomerangs, I
retract it.
I play the remaining (or one of the remaining), Share My Expenses on the
Purchase of the OC ACME InstaGadget naming Atilla the Pun and A$60.
I offer to traded the OC ACME InstaGadget to K2 for the price of A$135 as
we had previously agreed privately.

I hope this is the last message needed to actually get these actions to
finally occur correctly.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:24:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 166 (Slakko)

Slakko is really the judge selected for the CFCJ, honest.
(I couldn't find any rule preventing the president from judging CFJs)

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgement 166 - June 7, 1998
Subject: Mu-Cow Hunter, Crime of Disinterest
Initiator: Saaremaa (sent June 7, 21:10)
Judge: Thin Man (selected June 8, 00:48) - Incorrectly selected by ACotC
Judge: Slakko (selected June 8, 10:21)

Statement:
The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Disinterest on June 7th, 1998.

Initiator's Comments:
See rule 422; the rules no longer allow the Mu-Cow Hunter
to get away with not being subscribed to a mailing list.
Lets clean it out.

Suggested Penalty:
EXPULSION from the game.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:27:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

I accept This trade.

JT wrote:

> With the end of the auction having occuring, I play my Otzma Card
> Share My Expenses (on the purchase of the OC Acme InstaGadget that
> just occured) naming A$60 and Atilla The Pun.
>
> I the offer to sell the Otzma Card ACME InstaGadget to K2 for the
> sum of A$ 135 as per our previous private agreement.
>
> --JT
>
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:27:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Pulse Laser

The pulse laser is complete. Auction starts. Minimum bid A$ 20.

K 2

K2 wrote:

> I am building a pulse laser, it will be complete in 3 days.
>
> K 2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

> I may be incorrect in this assumption but I believe that those who will be leaving
> us temporarily or permanently due to school vacations are either not holding an
> office or has transferred it propoerly.  Nearly all schools should be now in
> summer sessions so those who won't be playing this summer have already left.
>

Summer? Na ah.. Winter !

> -- Joe Java
>
> That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>
>      Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
>        http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
>          Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 11:54:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions once more

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Okay, Otzma Cards are gift entities, so I don't believe that the OotRB
> > had to actually accept them from me, so therefore, I did in fact give the
> > two cards to them.
> 
> ICOCBW, but it has been game custom in the past that it is _possible_ to
> offer a gift entity conditional on the acceptance of the recipient, and if
> you actually use the word "offer" then that's what happens.

No need for game custom - gift entities are a subclass of tradeable
entities, so it is possible to offer them as a trade, distinctly from
giving them to someone.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:02:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Ouch!

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> Hrm.. Looking at Rule 510, the question is, would that auction be
> voluntary or involuntary debt.
> 
> Koxvolio certainly had the money for each seperate purchase, merely all
> the purchases together were insufficient, so it's possible he might just
> have gone into debt involuntarily instead of the auction being voided.

Game custom would almost certainly come down and declare the debt
to be voluntary - after all, it was his choice to bid in those auctions,
so nothing forced him to create that liability.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Ouch!

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, JT wrote:
>
>> Hrm.. Looking at Rule 510, the question is, would that auction be
>> voluntary or involuntary debt.
>> 
>> Koxvolio certainly had the money for each seperate purchase, merely all
>> the purchases together were insufficient, so it's possible he might just
>> have gone into debt involuntarily instead of the auction being voided.
>
>Game custom would almost certainly come down and declare the debt
>to be voluntary - after all, it was his choice to bid in those auctions,
>so nothing forced him to create that liability.

I see your point, but he had no way of knowing *before* the end of the
auction that the outcome of the auction would be such as to put him into
debt.  The fact that he is in debt is as as much due to other players
inaction (not bidding) as it is due to his singular action of bidding.

Note, I am not really concerned with the turnout of this argument one way
or another, but I think that it's an interesting question to discuss which
is why I'm willing to continue debating it :)

It really comes down to 'where is the line between voluntary and
involuntary actions'.  Are involuntary actions only limited to what the
rules force on you, or can the fact that another player didn't act in a
certain way cause you to perform an action that you had a reasonable
belief wouldn't actually occur.

Basically the argument I'm making is that while it was Koxvolio's choice
to enter the auction initially, the fact that the auction ended him up in
debt is not  so clearly only a result of his actions but also the
action/inaction of others.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swingpoint Status

Swingpoints awarded as at Noon Today:

I. Weight Swingpoints

7: Koxvolio
6: Niccolo Flychuck
5: Alfvaen
4: Slakko
3: Mr. Tambourine Man
2: Dennis and Edna
1: 867-5309

II. FairPlay Swingpoints
4: Alfvaen (for 2 Ales)

III. Party Swingpoints

HARF is the Party again this week.
1: Calvin N Hobbes
1: Karma
1: Robert Sevin

Total Swingpoints
87 Slakko
70 Dennis and Edna
49 Niccolo Flychuck
55 Alfvaen
37 Mr. Tambourine Man
31 Koxvolio
10 K 2
10 rufus
10 867-5309
 6 Guy Fawkes
 6 Attila the Pun
 5 Fortunato
 4 breadbox
 3 ThinMan
 3 Vynd
 3 two-star
 3 Wild Card
 2 Rex Mundi
 2 else...if
 2 Karma
 2 Calvin N Hobbes
 2 Robert Sevin

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Foobar.

With apologies to the arts and antiquities commision :)

I destroy my trinket Jade Grapefruit Juice for 1A$.  

Wild Card.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, Trinity Lane, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html | [email-masked]
"The last human being on the Earth sat alone in a room.  There was a knock
on the door..."                                      -Shortest SF story...

I purchase 12 kaas of land at 1A$ each...

Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:

> I may be incorrect in this assumption but I believe that those who will be leaving 
> us temporarily or permanently due to school vacations are either not holding an 
> office or has transferred it propoerly.  Nearly all schools should be now in 
> summer sessions so those who won't be playing this summer have already left.
> 
 There is me (university), who will have /very/ patchy email access over
the summer (and will stay in the game as a practically inactive player),
but I don't think I currently hold any offices.

 Come to think of it - don't vote for me for Dee-Jay.

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:58:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (Me)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> We have a new player in Ackanomic.  Eir name is Jack Rudd, eir email address
> is <[email-masked]> (gee, that domain looks familiar...), and the Ackanomic
> name e has chosen is Horny Protoceratops.  I have been selected as eir
> mentor.
> 
> So let's give em a warm hand of welcome.  (Quick, before it cools...)
> 
/me greets HP (Jack)!

 Wild Card (Jon).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Foobar.

Wild Card tried to hide after 100 lines on blank space:
> I purchase 12 kaas of land at 1A$ each...

No, no, the senate forbids it! (well, so far only I do, but the
others should speak up too, soon)

Dennis and Edna
Senator

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:25:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3199, only not really, only not really.

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Rats! My records are fouled up. Wild Card had in fact changed back
> > to voting before he submitted the proposal. (His votes may be another
> > matter; I'm not sure.)
> 
> Okay. Cripes.
> 
> Some of my records got timestamped in PDT instead of EDT - this is why
> my scripts marked Wild Card's votes as being illegal.
> 
> The voting results I've released for Proposals 3153 through 3158 are
> therefore incorrect, and I will release corrected reports momentarily,
> just as soon as I make sure that nothing else is wrong.
> 
> If anyone else suspects that there are other errors in the voting
> reports I've released, now is the time to mention it.
> 
 I create a trinket called "Sorry bb!"  ("-delimited)

 This has a value of A$50 with description: "looks just like a set of
Cambridge Maths Exams."

 I gift this to breadbox, for causing so much chaos.

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Foobar.

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

>Wild Card tried to hide after 100 lines on blank space:
>> I purchase 12 kaas of land at 1A$ each...
>
>No, no, the senate forbids it! (well, so far only I do, but the
>others should speak up too, soon)

Indeed, I too object, and am greatful to Dennis and Edna for having
spotted the line at the bottom.  We need one more objection.  Vynd, you
listening?

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 16:46:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Interesting Occurrence

I ran into the following bit in a newsgroup, in a somewhat-related thread,
not about nomic, but of obvious interest to nomic players:

Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Well, in California we just passed a ballot measure making things like the
> following type of proposed ballot measures illegal:  A tax increase which
> if implemented will be a statewide tax increase BUT only those districts
> which passed the measure will gain any benefits from the tax increase.
> It's a way of 'bullying' a measure to pass out of fear that the measure
> will pass, you'll have to pay the tax, but you won't get any benefits out
> of it.  Used to be perfectly legal.  

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:40:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Foobar.

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Wild Card tried to hide after 100 lines on blank space:
> > I purchase 12 kaas of land at 1A$ each...
> 
> No, no, the senate forbids it! (well, so far only I do, but the
> others should speak up too, soon)
> 
> Dennis and Edna
> Senator
> 

I also object.

                            - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:14:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rule 1131 query

FFrom rule 1131:

> If at any time the Happy Number is equal to the Sad Number, Rule 101
> shall be repealed, and all players shall receive a Winning Condition. 
> This paragraph shall be struck from this rule if it is possible under 
> the current ruleset for the Magic Number to become composite. 

It is possible under the current ruleset for the magic number to become
composite.  Has it been customary interpretation that the second sentence
is attached to the conditional of the first sentence?  That does not
seem reasonable to me based on the way it is worded, let me know if a 
CFJ is warranted.

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:19:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Foobar.

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Wild Card tried to hide after 100 lines on blank space:
> > I purchase 12 kaas of land at 1A$ each...
> 
> No, no, the senate forbids it! (well, so far only I do, but the
> others should speak up too, soon)
> 
 Grrr...  I was hoping that you wouldn't notice...

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 1131 query

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

>From rule 1131:
>
>> If at any time the Happy Number is equal to the Sad Number, Rule 101
>> shall be repealed, and all players shall receive a Winning Condition. 
>> This paragraph shall be struck from this rule if it is possible under 
>> the current ruleset for the Magic Number to become composite. 
>
>It is possible under the current ruleset for the magic number to become
>composite.  Has it been customary interpretation that the second sentence
>is attached to the conditional of the first sentence?  That does not
>seem reasonable to me based on the way it is worded, let me know if a 
>CFJ is warranted.

I'd say that that paragraph has probably repealed itself :)  I suspect
that the intent was to be conditional on the BASE value of the Magic
Number, but given the phrasing, I suspect it just blew itslef out of the
ruleset :) 

- --JT
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 21:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cleanup 2

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:

> 
> > Anyway, I've heard about www.findmail.com and their bit www.makelist.com
> > which hosts mailing lists for free (they do, however, append a brand name
> > to the bottom of all messages).  If muppetlabs was to suffer downtime
> > again for significant periods in the future, having a single backup list
> > would be a good idea.
> 
> Just wanted to point out something about these commercial "free" mailing list 
> hosts.  I had subscribed to become a list owner using one of these services a 
> while back.  The turn around for mail messages was anywhere from a few hours 
> to sometimes a whole day, not 5 to 10 minutes that is available with 
> muppetlabs.  As most game actions require a quick response on the part of the 
> participates, I suggest looking into using one of these services carefully, 
> possibly setting up several and benchmark them to find the best ones.
> 
> -- Joe Java

I've been out of town for the past few days, and am basically deleting all
of my mail, so I'm probably out of line here.. but...

I have a couple majordomo servers at my disposal, if they are needed.

IB
2 servers, no waiting!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:37:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

Fortunato found the Magic Potato today.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pete Townshend:Psychoderelict
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Ethan of Athos
Get your monkeys for nothing and your chimps for free.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfmeister's Blues

Harfy, I got your number;
I need to make you shine.
Harfy, don't change your number,
That's Proposal 3189.
(That's Proposal 3189.)

(Also 3195.) (Or 6 to 4.)

If the above were ambiguous, I declare Proposals 3189 and 3195 Harfy.

- - 867-5309

Push to test. Release to detonate. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:51:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Up, Up, and Awry

867-5309 wrote:
> I offer my Spell Book of Chorg and A$7 to Dennis and Edna, and would like
> to request a Silver Spaceship if I may.

Ah, the first customer for Dennis and Edna's Spell Book Reading Service.
Sure thing, 8, I accept this offer.

I am wearing the Shades of Chorg.
I am reading the next page of the Spell Book of Chorg 867-5309 just
traded me, which is page 5 if the other players reading this book have
been properly keeping track.  I think very hard of a Silver Spaceship,
and there it is, a wonderful chartreuse-and-yellow Silver Spaceship.

After checking to be sure that there are no Lions inside the Spaceship, I
offer the Spell Book of Chorg I just received from 867-5309 and the Silver
Spaceship just created from that book's page 5 to 867-5309.  I hope you
have your poetry ready, Jenny, because this ship only lasts 3 days.

I create a trinket called "My first A$7" with the following description:
It looks like a seven Ackadollar bill in a frame with a caption under it
reading "The first A$7 received by Dennis and Edna's Spell Book Reading
Service, paid by 867-5309 (Jenny) on June 8, 1998, in exchange for turning
page 5 of his spell book into a silver spaceship."

Dennis and Edna

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Snowgod's hearing...

 Once apon a time, far far ago /me wrote this:

> >  I'm calling a snowgod's disease hearing on Idiot Boy for this, valid
> > responses are:

 And the responses were:

> > Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!

Rex Mundi, and EBS.
Slakko, and EBS.
JT, and EBS.
Koxvolio, and EBS, and EBS.
rufus.
Mr Tamborine Man.

> > No, e, uh, meant to do that.

ThinMan, and EBS.
IB, and EBS.
else...if, and EBS.

 Sorry for the delay, exams...

 It is therefore, with great sadness I diagnose Idiot Boy with Snowgod's
disease...

 Thankfully this vile problem came up in the exams - apparantly the only
cure is to join as many subgames as possible.  Oh, and to help Undergrad
Med. Officers.

 Wild Card.

 Undergrad. Med. Officer, signing off...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod's hearing...

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  Once apon a time, far far ago /me wrote this:
> 
> > >  I'm calling a snowgod's disease hearing on Idiot Boy for this, valid
> > > responses are:
> 
>  And the responses were:
> 
> > > Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!
> 
> Rex Mundi, and EBS.
> Slakko, and EBS.
> JT, and EBS.
> Koxvolio, and EBS, and EBS.
> rufus.
> Mr Tamborine Man.

 Oops - and Pandora.
 
> > > No, e, uh, meant to do that.
> 
> ThinMan, and EBS.
> IB, and EBS.
> else...if, and EBS.
> 
>  Sorry for the delay, exams...
> 
>  It is therefore, with great sadness I diagnose Idiot Boy with Snowgod's
> disease...
> 
>  Thankfully this vile problem came up in the exams - apparantly the only
> cure is to join as many subgames as possible.  Oh, and to help Undergrad
> Med. Officers.
> 
>  Wild Card.
> 
>  Undergrad. Med. Officer, signing off...
> 
 Wild Card.

 Showing typical UMO forgetfulness...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:30:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > I am changing my name to the following double-quote-delimited
> > string:  "Dennis and Edna"
> 
> I ack this.  Going for a palindrome, are you, now that the Seven Deadly
> Sins proposal passed?

Nah, I think e just wants to add eir name to the list of those -- AtP,
MTM, CnH, 85J, etc., who can be abbreviated as 3 letters. :-)

Might as well help em out with the Sin bit...

The following GROK-delimited text constitutes a Sin Submission (I'm still
missing my Brie from way back when (the Rampant Exhibitionism bit...))
which purports to create a new Sin...

GROK
It has come to the attention of the Ancients that several players have
been attempting to take conditional public actions. [e.g. "If the Trinket
"Scam Attempt #35007" exists, then I donate all my A$ to the Museum."]
This is extremely nasty, and they _can_ prosecute you for it.

To this end, they have recently revealed (despite the inconvenience of
being dead) the existence of the Sin of Annoying the Harfers.  Attempting
to take a public action which is conditional upon one or more aspects of
the Ackan game state, the truth or falsehood of which aspects must be
determined by the Harfers, constitutes a commission of this vile, heinous,
and extremely naughty Sin.
GROK

A Sinquisition has now been called.  I am the Faerie Queene; reply to this
message to vote.  Valid verdicts are "Right up there with Disrespecting
the Harfers" and "I'm still looking for the original sin."  For the
confused, those mean "Yes, it should be a sin" and "No, it shouldn't"
respectively.  Gentlebeings, start your Ballot Stuffers!

- - 867-5309

Bigamy: the only crime where two rites make a wrong.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #172
*******************************