Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #187
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Sunday, June 7 1998         Volume 03 : Number 187

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:02:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Alfvaen for Swinger and WC98 (Cleanup 1)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> >I have to cut down my net activities, and Acka is the biggest.
> 
> Sounds familiar....
> 
> >So I'm planning to go on an extended vacation, but first I'm
> >getting some things in order.
> 
> >I suggest that Alfvaen becomes the Swinger for MetaMorph
> >and approve of this suggestion.
> 
> Are you resigning?  That might make it easier for me to become
> Swinger as opposed to just Acting Swinger.  In any case, I
> approve of J. M. Bear's suggestion, and I also suggest that I
> become Acting Swinger, just in case.

I approve of both the above suggestion.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:14:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Really Evil Ballot Stuffer - Object

I object to this Discovery!
I futher object to this Discovery! 
I maintain my objection to this Discovery!
I shall continue to maintain my on-going objection to this Discovery!

[deep breath]
there's a point in this, y'know.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> I pay the 20 A$ and play my Scientist for a Day card, including the following
> @@@ delimited text, named "Really Evil Ballot Stuffer".
> 
> @@@
> The Really Evil Ballot Stuffer (REBS) is a mechanical gadget, which when
> created is not broken.
> 
> The Really Evil Ballot Stuffer is orange, and has one button, the green
> button. At all times the Really Evil Ballot Stuffer produces a sound, known as
> the intense humming of evil. This sound is produced by the evil field which
> surrounds the Really Evil Ballot Stuffer.
> 
> If the possessor of a REBS also owns an Evil Ballot Stuffer, whenever they
> cast a vote in a Hearing or an Election they may announce along with that
> vote that they are pressing the green button of their REBS.
> 
> If one or more REBS is so used ina Hearing or Election then when the results
> are tabulated each vote cast by an Evil Ballot Stuffer will count as 2 votes.
> However, if more then one REBS is so used then when the results of the Hearing
> or Election are announced the humming of evil willbe so intense that the evil
> field of each REBS will discharge itself into the person who pressed the green
> button, reducing their score by 10 points.
> @@@
> 
> Rex Mundi.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 11:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Astro" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Leave game

OK, here goes:

I think I acted too hastefully in making the decision to join the game of
Ackanoimc and would now like to leave it. I am sorry if I have or will cause
any trouble to any of you during my stay in Ackanomic.
I am leaving Ackanomic.

Farewell,
Astro

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 13:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Raft

Niccolo Flychuck has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic this week.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--L7:Hungry For Stink
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Frameshift
Must it be rigid and so benign?  Can't it be free and efficacious?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions

With the end of the auction having occuring, I play my Otzma Card
Share My Expenses (on the purchase of the OC Acme InstaGadget that
just occured) naming A$60 and Atilla The Pun.

I the offer to sell the Otzma Card ACME InstaGadget to K2 for the
sum of A$ 135 as per our previous private agreement.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Cleaning up dead trinkets

With apologies to the arts and antiquities commision :)
I destroy Elves, Poll Win #5, Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic
Warden 28, and A$ One Hundred for A$

(this should give me $A31)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

Volume 1, Issue 25
June 7, 1998
This issue's slogan:
"Newspaper Slogans are Unregulated, so it Happens"
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Apologies and Retractions.
3. Poll Question #8 Results
4. More Ackanomic News
5. The Party Chess Report
6. Sub-Game Summary
7. Advertisement		
	 	 
Editorial

Where Have All the Gamers Gone?

Gone non-voting, every one. Or so it appears sometimes. This week has seen
an unprecedented (in the experience of this game player) number of players
dropping out of subgames, or failing to make moves within the necessary
time.

We at the Ackan appreciate that it is not always possible for a player to
keep up with moves in a number of different subgames. However, such a
large amount of apathy as has struck recently is rather difficult to
accept as mere coincidence.

However, lacking any reasonable motives and such for this sudden drop, I
feel I have little choice but to mark it down to coincidence. This being a
rant column, though, it behooves me to rant:

Starting play of a sub-game in Acka is something that should not be taken
lightly. Some subames are extremely time-intensive, to the extent that
they can overshadow most other Ackanomic play. Many other players put a
lot of effort into the subgames, some of which is no doubt wasted when
other players forget to make their moves. So, if you are going to join a
subgame, make sure to the best of your ability (I know that some things
are unforeseen) that you will be able to carry through with it.

What is this message, anyway?

On the first of this month, yet another in Acka's long tradition of scams
continued. However, like only a very few of the scams provided, there was
a risk that this one would have crashed the game.

Fortunately, it is generally believed that this is not the case, and play
appears to be proceeding as normal. We are indebted to K 2 for organising
the later scam attempts so as to leave the game in a very playable
situation, and to eir decision to step down as Emperor after a very short
period. Congratulations on exploiting the hole in the rules to the best of
your ability. If only Paradox Wins were as easy to come by.

Traditional Summer Lull

As we head into June, the game will no doubt take a bit of a downturn in
activity. This is perfectly normal, due of course to the reliance of the
game on university students to play and run it. Hopefully we will be able
to continue play with a sufficiently large contingent of active players
that the downturn will not have significant negative repercussions.

This is not meant as criticism of any university students playing - far
from it as the Editor is one himself. Rather, it is simply pointing out a
situation which may occur, and which we should be careful about.	 	 

Letters to the Ackan are always welcome. We will publish contributors
within reason, because our aim is to provide Ackans with a comprehensive
news and opinions service. This includes opinions contradicting the paper,
so feel free to criticise editorial comments. 

If you want your opinions heard, or letters published, please send them to
[email-masked]. 

Send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above, marked
"Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.
Have another good Ackan week - banna willing we'll be back next week.

Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan 

Apologies and Retractions

The Ackan apologises for accidentally shooting one of our *blam*
sub-editors. It was his own fault for mistakenly pointing out that he had
not been shot. As a result, for pointing out the error, which happened to
be in his department, he was subject to summary shooting. The new
sub-editor for Firearms was seen heading for a large roll of gaffer tape,
just after having shaved. We can only hope he is attempting to learn from
the example of his predecessor.

If you think you have found an error in the Ackan, point it out! It never
hurts to have a little "clean-out" around the office. 

The Ackan heartily apologises for any damage or difficulties caused by the
omission of such errors and/or omissions.

Poll Question

Question Number 9 to be asked this week:

Are you utterly sick of Witchhunts?
(a) - Burn the Middle Ages! (as suggested by Niccolo Flychuck).
(b) - Frankly I'm getting a little tired of it.
(c) - I don't really have an opinion, I just want a chance at that
brilliant Trinket.
(d) - I don't see any need to repeal it yet.
(e) - BURN IN AGONY, INFIDEL!

As usual, there will be a randomly selected winner who will receive a
Trinket, valued at A$10 or more. 

Remember, your opinion does matter to us here at the Ackan. The answers
will arrive next issue, if the Great EBS is willing. It costs very little
of your time to enter, and there's always the chance of that Trinket, so
please respond to the Great Infrequent Ackan Poll Competition!

More Ackanomic News

Emperor Proclaimed, then Abdicates

K 2 became a de facto Emperor of Ackanomic on the 1st of June, sources
report. While Slakko, the President, was outraged at this loss of power, K
2 quickly stepped down from the position he had achieved.

Some tried to blame the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis for the lax security which
saw an effective Emperorship form. Others then spotted said Quirpele
merrily fixing up the spelling errors in the rules, and wondered how such
a thing could cause any problems. Of course, an Emperor worth eir salt
would easily be capable of covering eir tracks with such novelties as a
stinging Quirpele.

Even the Rule which housed the instrument of K 2's power has mysteriously
vanished from the Ruleset, possibly never to be seen again. Is there no
way to bring to Justice those who allowed a tyrant on a throne?

In possibly related news, Ackanomic Police reported a 200% increase in
thwappings for the past week, over the previous week. This represents a
dramatic increase in the rate of this crime, which was unheard of in
Ackanomic prior to 1998.

Cross Purposes

After a wait of a few days, a relieved JT was finally presented with his
Blue Cross this week. JT became the youngest player (in Acka terms) to own
a Blue Cross, and the first one to have joined the game in 1998.
Congratulations on your achievement, and may many more rule changes
develop from your proposals.

In further Medal news, Slakko reached a Blue Cross Rank of 100 since our
last issue was published, and so was eligible for a second Gold Stripe. E
presented it to emself in a mockery of a ceremony, probably designed
purely to beat Alfvaen to the stripe-presenting punch.

Court Report

Now that Mr. Tambourine Man, the Clerk of the Court, is on an
unfortunately unintentional vacation, court duties have passed to JT. This
is entirely appropriate, given the large number of CFJs which JT has been
called upon to decide recently.

In a nice twist, the new Acting Clerk of the Court invalidated the scam
attempted by the previous Clerk of the Court to get Alfvaen (who appointed
JT the Acting CotC) a Cycle Win. The time period for appealing this
judgement has expired, so it appears that the infinite-points scam is no
more. A fortunate result that, as it prevents the Treasury (and all its
branches) from going broke, and does not part the dead from their hard
earned Ackadollars either.

In the Criminal Courts, the only proceeding to be decided recently was the
Iconoclasm case involving Hubert. Presiding first-round Judge Koxvolio
acquitted Hubert, on the grounds that it was impossible to know whether a
Founder had committed Iconoclasm in eir own Church, simply because of the
secret nature of Church Policy. This ruling affirms the religious
tolerance that Acka has always held important, and protects the rights of
Church Founders against unwanted intrusions into their private lives.

Financial Follies

The Ackan Reserve has forced stock prices down to an affordable level once
again. It is unlikely that the giddy heights of investment which were
reached earlier this year will be repeated, as the watchful eye of the
Reserve will be no doubt ready to intervene should any excessive profits
arise.

With a significant number of proposals due to have their results
distributed very soon, the stock tip of the week is to buy. Even with the
new N-rating of 0.2, compared to the P-rating of 0.1, Acka's historically
high proposal acceptance rates mean that the expected trend for the market
is again upward, albeit more slowly than it once was.

The Party Chess Report

After last week showing how easy it was to accumulate a large Weight very
quickly, Koxvolio has produced the first double check of the new Party
Chess game.  With a stunning strategic use of a Benefyt, his first Special
Move (and, indeed, the first Special Move used at all) left both Mr.
Tambourine Man (currently on holiday) and Niccolo Flychuck in check.  No
checkmates at this stage, but nonetheless some moves to make players think
very carefully.

Swingpoint distribution is due on Monday, and with no FairPlay awards
being handed out recently it looks like one certain to be monopolised by
the Swingers.  With Alfvaen having taken over from J. M. Bear, e is
certain to be back amongst the Swingpoint leaders, while Slakko, for a
long while a regular podium finisher in the Swingpoint tallies, looks
certain to finish well down the order.

/dev/joe's new strategy is intriguing, to say the least.   E has been
building eir weight slowly, through the use of a large number of Pawns.
The aim appears to be the creation of a large defensive net protecting eir
King.  With the elimination of the Tornado, defensive rings are much
easier to maintain, but no longer need rely on pawns (which were effective
Tornado barriers after the Alfvaen Amendment).  Still, we will see what
results from /dev/joe's new tactics, and whether they will be of any use
against insistent opponents.

Sub Game Summary

"Every week - every subgame". 

Eleusis

Game 1 is now paused, waiting on Mr. Tambourine Man to return from
vacation.  E is the only legitimate player left, with /dev/joe and
else...if having responded incorrectly.

Ayla appears to have the secret rule guessed in Game 2, remaining in the
Prophet's Chair for a long time now.  The only question left in this round
is therefore whether or not any other player will guess the rule in time
to receive a decent second-place score. 

Fictionary

Round 7 collapsed under its own weight when else...if failed to supply the
list of definitions for "geniculate". E took it upon emself to leave the
game of eir own accord immediately after this blunder was pointed out.
rufus followed suit, apparently for preventative reasons, soon after.

Round 8 has fallen to Attila the Pun, who has provided us with the word
"zeugma" to test our definitional skills. Rumours claim that this round
will be over before voting commences, just like round 1.

Ghost

The most recent game of Ghost was won by Alfvaen, after Slakko was stumped
to come up with a successor string to "eavy", and chose to erroneously
claim that it was a word in its own right. This stupid tactic backfired
immediately, leaving Alfvaen a satisfied winner. The 9 player game was the
largest game of Ghost played in Ackanomic. 

Grab-a-Donkey

Grab-a-Donkey is down to under 10 players, but may well be a long time
from completion yet.  There are still players whose future is guaranteed
for the next round, being proud owners of herds of 3 or more donkeys.
However, there are still more players who need to take care every round
for survival.

At the Ackan we are expecting to see more donkey covering in upcoming
rounds, and, as the stakes increase, much less admiration for donkeys, and
more admiration for successful grabs.  Even with the high attrition rate
of this particular game, the gradual shift from standing around to
covering should see the elimination rate slow dramatically.	 

Pure Skill

Game 1 of Pure Skill finished with Pandora a worthy winner. The order of
the final three win cards proved to be in favour of Pandora, enabling em
to come home with a wet sail and join the list of those who have won an
Ackan subgame. A good performance from a relative newcomer, and
commiserations to both Koxvolio and J. M. Bear, who made it into a much
more interesting game of Pure Skill than Game 2 turned out to be. 

Viruses

/dev/joe has started refereeing Game 3 of Viruses.  We are two rounds in,
but have already lost 3 players due to severe "real life" constraints.
Only one Viruspoint has been awarded so far - to Mr. Tambourine Man.  This
vacationing player appears to be running rings around all of us.  Can e
still do so while under the effects of a computer crash?  Wait and see.

Word Un-Association 

Word Un-Association is trying to drag itself out from under a bed of
apathy.  With two players having left suddenly, we are reduced to a six
player situation in Game 2.  I can only assume that new players would
still be welcome.

On the actual gaming front, Koxvolio is set to rake it in, if e can
provide a reasonable link between "llano" and "ugly".  No-one provided a
valid link word between these two, putting the onus on Koxvolio to provide
the correct link to receive 2 points.

YORL

Alfvaen has run himself out of cards, but has yet to finish the story, in
what could prove an engrossing finish to the YORL game.  With not long
left before e falls asleep, we are still wondering whether or not Alfvaen
will be able to win from here, or whether the story is set to continue.

We can only hope that the game does not turn into the YORL equivalent of
the Mornington Crescent Long Game - something that would prove very
uninteresting for all of us.  It might make a great story, but the Brass
Pot would just sit there with its A$220.

Duel Summary

The Spades Duel between Hubert and Goldenmean is stuck waiting for
Goldenmean to bid in Round 6.  Will /dev/joe have to invoke the rufus
amendment to see this Duel ended, before it becomes mired in a mass of
non-plays?

Meanwhile, the only other duel in progress during the week finished
yesterday.  Mr. Tambourine Man's vacation cost em any chance of beating
Koxvolio, and saved Koxvolio from having to finish what appeared to be an
increasingly dark tale.

Advertisements

The Ackan is still looking for more interviews. If you have yet to respond
to the Ackan call for interviews, and have held a public office in Acka
for at least one month continuously at any stage in Acka's history, then
the staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like to hear from you. Just email
us at [email-masked] with the keywords "Acka: Ackan" and say you would
like to do an interview. That's all. If you are accepted (which, let's
face it, is still pretty likely at this stage) then someone from the Ackan
will be around to contact you shortly. 
 	 	 	 	 
The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 7th June
1998.
Check us out on the web, at 
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 		

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:57:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> "Newspaper Slogans are Unregulated, so it Happens"

> 
> In possibly related news, Ackanomic Police reported a 200% increase in
> thwappings for the past week, over the previous week. This represents a
> dramatic increase in the rate of this crime, which was unheard of in
> Ackanomic prior to 1998.
> 

I demand a retractiuon of this blatantly false statement.  Thwacking is
not regulated, nd not a crime.  

ruufus

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:57:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> With the end of the auction having occuring, I play my Otzma Card
> Share My Expenses (on the purchase of the OC Acme InstaGadget that
> just occured) naming A$60 and Atilla The Pun.

This fails.  You have too many Otzma Cards to use any of them.
See Rule 1240.1.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:38:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cleanup 2

> Anyway, I've heard about www.findmail.com and their bit www.makelist.com
> which hosts mailing lists for free (they do, however, append a brand name
> to the bottom of all messages).  If muppetlabs was to suffer downtime
> again for significant periods in the future, having a single backup list
> would be a good idea.

Just wanted to point out something about these commercial "free" mailing list 
hosts.  I had subscribed to become a list owner using one of these services a 
while back.  The turn around for mail messages was anywhere from a few hours 
to sometimes a whole day, not 5 to 10 minutes that is available with 
muppetlabs.  As most game actions require a quick response on the part of the 
participates, I suggest looking into using one of these services carefully, 
possibly setting up several and benchmark them to find the best ones.

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:53:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Volume 1, Issue 25
> June 7, 1998
> This issue's slogan:
> "Newspaper Slogans are Unregulated, so it Happens"
> In this issue:
> 
> Traditional Summer Lull
> 
> As we head into June, the game will no doubt take a bit of a downturn in
> activity. This is perfectly normal, due of course to the reliance of the
> game on university students to play and run it. Hopefully we will be able
> to continue play with a sufficiently large contingent of active players
> that the downturn will not have significant negative repercussions.
> 
> This is not meant as criticism of any university students playing - far
> from it as the Editor is one himself. Rather, it is simply pointing out a
> situation which may occur, and which we should be careful about.

So, just how many people think they might be leaving Acka in the near
future anyway?  Or, if not leaving, going on extended vacations, official
or otherwise?  It might be a good idea to sort out what offices are going
to need to be transfered, although hopefully Alfvaen and breadbox will be
staying with us for the foreseeable future.  I myself will probably be
busy with a new job in the near future, but I have cleverly guaranteed
that my innactivity will not disrupt things by not doing a whole heck of a
lot the last few months.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:58:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cleanup 2

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:

> Just wanted to point out something about these commercial "free" mailing list 
> hosts.  I had subscribed to become a list owner using one of these services a 
> while back.  The turn around for mail messages was anywhere from a few hours 
> to sometimes a whole day, not 5 to 10 minutes that is available with 
> muppetlabs.  As most game actions require a quick response on the part of the 
> participates, I suggest looking into using one of these services carefully, 
> possibly setting up several and benchmark them to find the best ones.

The claim of makelist (part of findmail), as listed on the
www.makelist.com homepage is that 95% of all their messages are delivered
within 50 seconds.  I think that, if they do stick to that, it should be
reasonable enough for our purposes.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:58:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> > Traditional Summer Lull
> > 
> > As we head into June, the game will no doubt take a bit of a downturn in
> > activity. This is perfectly normal, due of course to the reliance of the
> > game on university students to play and run it. Hopefully we will be able
> > to continue play with a sufficiently large contingent of active players
> > that the downturn will not have significant negative repercussions.
> > 
> > This is not meant as criticism of any university students playing - far
> > from it as the Editor is one himself. Rather, it is simply pointing out a
> > situation which may occur, and which we should be careful about.
> 
> So, just how many people think they might be leaving Acka in the near
> future anyway?  Or, if not leaving, going on extended vacations, official
> or otherwise?  It might be a good idea to sort out what offices are going
> to need to be transfered, although hopefully Alfvaen and breadbox will be
> staying with us for the foreseeable future.  I myself will probably be
> busy with a new job in the near future, but I have cleverly guaranteed
> that my innactivity will not disrupt things by not doing a whole heck of a
> lot the last few months.

I may be incorrect in this assumption but I believe that those who will be leaving 
us temporarily or permanently due to school vacations are either not holding an 
office or has transferred it propoerly.  Nearly all schools should be now in 
summer sessions so those who won't be playing this summer have already left.

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 18:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IRC

I'm bored so I'll be in IRC for a bit.. drop on it..

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 18:07:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cleanup 2

> The claim of makelist (part of findmail), as listed on the
> www.makelist.com homepage is that 95% of all their messages are delivered
> within 50 seconds.  I think that, if they do stick to that, it should be
> reasonable enough for our purposes.

Definitely.  I guess I was just dealing with an inferior mailing list.  Overall the 
idea of a backup system or server is a great idea.  But the thing that I see is 
that for the last month or so there has been discussion of a backup system for 
files, scripts for nomicbot, and now e-mail.  Nobody though has stepped up to 
decide if yes we will do it and also how.  I suggest some sort of unofficial 
committee of a few acka members who will decide the how, when and wheres 
of backing up Acka and I also am willing to be involved in this.

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 18:12:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Player (Me)

We have a new player in Ackanomic.  Eir name is Jack Rudd, eir email address
is <[email-masked]> (gee, that domain looks familiar...), and the Ackanomic
name e has chosen is Horny Protoceratops.  I have been selected as eir
mentor.

So let's give em a warm hand of welcome.  (Quick, before it cools...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Ashley MacIsaac:Sleepy Maggie
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Frameshift
There's no accounting for The Dead.  --josh hayes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 18:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Twits

> As a bonified Twit, I recomend (and suggest) that the following players
> who have professed to be twits be admitted to the club:

> Rex Mundi
> rufus
> else...if

I don't particularly want anyone to bonify me, but I support K 2's
suggestion.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Imani Coppola:Chupacabra
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Frameshift
The devil damn thee black, thou cream-faced loon!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 18:52:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

>On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, JT wrote:
>
>> With the end of the auction having occuring, I play my Otzma Card
>> Share My Expenses (on the purchase of the OC Acme InstaGadget that
>> just occured) naming A$60 and Atilla The Pun.
>
>This fails.  You have too many Otzma Cards to use any of them.
>See Rule 1240.1.

Incorrect, I gave 2 of the ones listed on the PE page to the OotRB.  Thus
with the 5 that I won, plus the SME above, I had 6, which is exactly
legal.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 19:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 610 (FALSE)

Alfvaen has judged this FALSE.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 610 - Jun 03, 1998
Subject: Wilds
Initiator: Hubert (sent Jun 01, 1998, 02:55)
Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 03, 1998, 11:51)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:
The Order of the Razor Boomerang is in the Wilds of Ackanomia.

Initiator's Reasoning:
On Sun, 31 May 1998 20:39:33 -1000, Hubert (as e was then known) said "I
suggest the Order of the Razor Boomerang go to the Wilds of Ackanomia and
scream lyrical curses at the B-Ack.  This, too, happens..." Since Hubert
is the Founder of the Order of the Razor Boomerang, Church Policy allows
em to specify that an Organizational Action may occur without the approval
of the other members, and e did so.  So the action, if legal, took place.

But was it legal?  The Rules make no mention of whether or not Locations
may contain Organizations; only players are specifically referred to.  But
the Rules do imply that other types of entities may be in certain
Locations.  Most notably, "Entities may not be transferred to and/or from
Somewhere Else except whereas..." (R800), which clearly specifies that
other types of Entities than Players may be Somewhere Else.  No special or
unique powers are granted to the Location known as Somewhere Else,
therefore by induction we can assume that other Locations may also contain
non-Player entities... such as Organizations.

Other examples of Rule-sanctioned nonplayer entities being in Locations
are Buildings (defined by R839), although the wording of subsequent Rules
seems to imply that Buildings, rather than being in Locations, _are_
Locations.  (cf. "The Museum is a classy building...and a Common
Location")  Also, any kind of entity may be in the Treasury or the
Museum, both of which either are or are contained in Locations.

So I really see no reason why this shouldn't occur.  And, of course, it
gives us a chance to recite poetry...

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

While I'm sure we would all like to find out whether or not Organizations
can go to Locations, I'd rather clear up whether the action was attempted
in the first place.

The initiator's reasoning claims that Church Policy can declare an
Organizational Action to be one that the Founder can direct the Church
to attempt without any input from the other members.  Let's see what
the Rules have to say on this.

Rule 1005, "Organizational Action", specifies the familiar method for an
Organization to attempt actions, although it does defer to all Rules.
Do the Church Rules allow 863-5937 to do as e claims?

The powers of Church Policy, under Rule 1301, seem to be as follows:

     -- to constrain Church Members from performing certain Actions(or
        otherwise committing Iconoclasm, except by omission).
     -- to describe how Church Policy is changed.
     -- to define seniority of Priests.
     -- to define how decisions are made by the Priesthood.
     -- to redefine Church membership policy.
     -- to take the unilateral power to trade Church assets away from the
        Founder(or give it to others as well).

And how does Rule 1301 state that Churches may take Actions?  It is
entirely silent on the matter!

So I fail to see that Rule 1301 really allows Church Policy to say
anything about how, in general, Churches perform actions.  Transferring
Church assets, and admitting new members, perhaps, but nothing beyond
that.  Thus, I believe that the Order of the Razor Boomerang did not,
in fact, attempt to move to the Wilds of Ackanomia.

So the whole question of whether or not the action could have succeeded is
irrelevant to my verdict, and frankly I don't feel like struggling with the
whole matter right now, so I'll leave it for a future judge.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 19:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 25

>Question Number 9 to be asked this week:
>
>Are you utterly sick of Witchhunts?
>(a) - Burn the Middle Ages! (as suggested by Niccolo Flychuck).
>(b) - Frankly I'm getting a little tired of it.
>(c) - I don't really have an opinion, I just want a chance at that
>brilliant Trinket.
>(d) - I don't see any need to repeal it yet.
>(e) - BURN IN AGONY, INFIDEL!
	A,B,C,A, in that order.  Do I get four entries for offering four
answers?

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 20:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ownership of otzma cards

After looking at Alfvaen's reasoning for CFJ 610, and discussing same with
Rufus and /dev/joe and Joe_Java on IRC for a while, I came to the
inescapable conclusion (partly supported by CFJ 441) that in fact
while 867-5309 has church doctrine to say that the members of the
priesthood all in fact agree with his decision to accept the cards, we as
priests still have to actually perform the action of accepting or else be
guilty of iconoclasm.  (Take note that this might in fact impact the
recent Iconoclasm verdict against 867-5309, but I don't have it handy, so
cannot read it myself)  The reason that CFJ 441 is relevant is because it
stated that

>Thus, though it is permissible for church policy to require a member to
>leave the church, if that member does not do so, he is guilty of
>Iconoclasm and still a member of the church.  Perhaps "removal from
>an organization" should be added to the list of possible penalties
>in Rule 710.

The analogous statement in this case would be
'Thus, though it is permissible for church policy to require a member to
accept a given organizationaly action, if that member does not do so, he
is guilty of Iconoclasm'.
This falls firmly under the reading of the rules that says that Iconoclasm
can be performed by inaction.

Fortunately, the only action this really effects is the OC offer to the
Order of the RB.

(as a complete aside, 7 days from after the action of the OotRB moving to
the wilds, it would have occured anyway since noone objected to it, so
while at the time that Alfvaen judged it the order hadn't gone there, I
believe it has done so as of this time.  Anyone wanna CFJ that one? :) 

By this reasoning, I now have (in fact) 7 Otzma cards and need to get rid
of one.
I will do so by destroying one of two Share My Expenses cards. (if it
matters, I destroy the one I just aquired)
This leaves me with 6 cards.

I also retract my offer of giving the two otzma cards to the Order of the
Razor Boomerang.

I will now proceed to play the other Share my Expenses cards (on the
purchase of the OC ACME InstaGadget) naming A$60 and Attila the Pun.

I offer to trade the OC ACME InstaGadget to K2 in exchange for A$ 135 as
per our prior private agreement.

(I believe this fixes all the problems from before, although Slakko will
probably tell me if there's still something wrong going on :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 22:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 142

CSR 142 was accepted on June 5th without objection.

breadbox

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #187
*******************************