Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #184
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Thursday, June 4 1998        Volume 03 : Number 184

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 01:19:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Parade

First, each different type of Organization had a float, save only the
VSOs.  Of course, Mr. Tambourine Man led off with the Great Trombone,
though eir Party was, by lot, further back.  Razor Boomerangs' led off,
the Political Party and the Church in a joint float to symbolize the lack
of separation between Church and politics.  Their float was covered with
samples of their namesake, and they tossed some samples into the crowd,
causing massive loss of limb everywhere about.

Harf was next, with a float festooned with harf of all descriptions, and
some which could not be described in any language known to man(though
perhaps not the Ancients).  Evil Ballot Stuffers' Church followed
them(having manipulated the lot-drawing to get a position close to
the front).  Out of the sides of their float came a sort of ticker-tape
parade of ballots, all stamped with the names of various members of
their Priesthood.

Next came MetaMorph, with Niccolo Flychuck waving beatifucally to the
crowds below, and J. M. Bear, the Swinger and junior member, pushing
from behind.  Ensconced in the back was a representative of Pumpkin Patch
Nomic, brought in specially for the occasion.  They Might Be Slumbering
Giants followed with by far the largest float, its representatives being
carried on huge soft platforms, and resonant snores issuing therefrom.
Rampant speculation swept through the crowd as to which ones, if any,
were actually slumbering, but nobody could tell for sure.  Yet more
speculation followed the passage of the Markovian Dream float, since
nobody there could tell whether it was a Church or just a Cult.

Then came Klingon, with Mr. Tambourine Man(but wasn't e at the front
playing the Trombone?)  and the other members brandishing their ritual
Klingon weapons and engaging in ritual combat.  Happily, they didn't
injure nearly as many people as the Razor Boomerangs had.  Everybody
went quiet for the next Party, though, and some started to boo but were
quickly hushed by the former members of the Committee for Understanding.
Vulcan's float was very logically designed, everything in order, a
miniature replica of Vulcan Headquarters, with an animatronic replica of
saaremaa manning the catapult.

Incongruously, after the logic of Vulcan came the chaos of the Church
of Azpiazu.  Granted, the float was as formless and amorphous as it could
be while still being on wheels, but that formlessness and amorphosity
seemed to shift from moment to moment.  Easier on the eyes, and the mind,
was the Shell #10 float, which seemed hastily slapped together so as to be
eligible for the parade.  Nevertheless, it was an admirable collection of
various shells, that didn't even look like cardboard until you got close.

Even though their Founder was represented only by a replicant, the Church
of the Righteous Loophold Surfers came next.  Reputedly denying that the
Church's name contained a typo, they brandished surfboards(of all colours
including green)with attached loopholders.  Elected to follow them was
the party SPAM, somewhat reduced in size from its earlier glory days,
but still surviving.  Cans of processed meat products festooned their
float, as well as an old portrait of the Fearless Alibi Possessor from
SPAM's long-ago heyday of misdemeanour punishment.

In the next float was Kerplunk, kerplunk III, with Mr. Tambourine Man
(again?), playing the tambourine this time, and the rest of the
membership there mostly for decoration(being encased in plaster in
various positions around the float).  Precisely what the purpose was
for this organization, considering the scam it was created for was long
gone, but here it was.  Here, also, was the Treasure Hunting League,
whose float was sizeable but from which little activity emanated.
Every member seemed to be puzzling over a set of incomplete maps.

Randomly positioned in the middle was the Church of the Good Ballot
Stuffer, unable to better its position as its Evil counterpart was.
There was, unfortunately, no sample of its namesake Gadget to display,
but a replica was made available for perusal, and a petition to ban the
Evil Ballot Stuffer entirely.  Hard on their heels was SHEEP, whose
founder had pioneered the BAA! vote, but had still to live up to eir
promise to pay A$2 to every BAA! voter.  E probably had realized that
that would have broken the Organization by now.

Kings and other PartyChessPieces proudly displayed, Party Hall's float was
a wonder to behold, with Mr. Tambourine Man appearing here as well, as
the Swinger for Klingon.  E seemed to be simply everywhere in this Parade.
Yet e was not on the Player Sanctioned Organization Preservation Society
float, which handed out pamphlets on how the Rules must remain in a state
where such Organizations were possible.  It all seemed a bit pointless,
of course, with Societies in the Rules as firmly as anything could be in
Nomic.  Still, nobody wanted to hurt their feelings, so many people took
pamphlets anyway.

The surprise entry in the Parade, an Organization that most people forget
about, was the Mad Hatters.  Hats of all types not regulated by the Rules
festooned eir float, although they were devoid of Agenda Hats.  Everyone
seemed happy with the ones they had.  Lovely flowers from Guatemala(some
of them deadly poisonous)decorated the float of the Moral Kiosk, which
otherwise looked sort of like a blend of Shell#10's and Kerplunk,
kerplunk III's.  An actual kiosk formed the centerpiece, from which the
members handed out slips of papers with morals on them.

Senate, another Unique Organization, followed, the Senators trying to look
busy but mostly failing.  Trailing them was Niccolo Flychuck, who carried
a sign reading "Bring Back Ad Hoc Organizations!", and questioned whether
the Senate was necessary at all.  Earth-shaped(or so they claim)balloons
hovered above the float of the Church of banna, last of the true
Organizations in the Parade.  Intent witch-hunters pursued them, trying
to pin them down in heresy, but they were mostly unsuccessful.

General speculation abounded as to what would follow the Organizational
floats.  Heavy betting was on the VSO's being allowed in as well, although
some speculated about former Organizations or non-Organizations as well.
The real answer was: some of each.

First, after a slight pause, was the Cubical Earth Implementation Society.
Overjoyed at recent donations, the Society(which was not an Organization,
though it could theoretically be an entity)proudly displayed the Gadgets
it owned.  RexBank followed after that, one of the oldest and best-used
of the one-player scam organizations.  Though briefly a full-fledged
Society, it was now once again a VSO.  Having also been deprived of full
Society status, the Aaronic League followed next, with Alfvaen and
Fortunato holding up a non-rule-sanctioned cardboard cutout of Bill the
pirate king between them, surrounded by pots filled with Aaron's Rod.

Everyone was surprised by the next float, for the Supreme Court.  Only
an Organization in the broadest sense of the term, yet perhaps deserving
of the same designation as the Senate, the various Cortices(two Justices
grafted to each)passed majestically by the murmuring parade-watchers.  The
next float, even more shocking, was the Cabinet, one of the oddest of
Ackanomic's entities.  Housed within it was the trinket "Beware The
Forbidden Fruit!", a piece of advice ignored many times by President
Alfvaen during his terms of office.

Everyone(except possibly those on the Vulcan float)cheered the next float,
that of the onetime Rebellion.  Rebels at one time or not, the owners
of the "I opposed P2241" trinkets waved them about and made neat noises.
Canine's Tattoo Parlor made a very poor showing next, with only a replica
of Karma(the real one being in a block of ice)and a few samples of tattoos.
Only represented by its founder, /dev/joe, and ThinMan, the Cult of Seleya
nonetheless contained a very detailed model of the holy Vulcan mountain.
Unless the Cult becomes a Church once more, though, its influence on
Ackanomic will surely be minimal.

Next was the Flat Earth Preservation Society, showing diagrams of the
huge scissors it would use to cut the huge tether that attached the
upper hemisphere to Ackanomic.  Told that the Round Earth Restoration
Society had already reattached the hemisphere, they unveiled plans for
a combination pry-bar and water-pik to send it once again bouncing to
the end of its tether.  Then came another odd miscellaneous entity,
the Brass Pot for the game of Ye Olde Rusty Lantern.  Hovering over it
possessively, counting his chickens, was Alfvaen.  Encouraging peace
between the Vulcans and the Rebels, the former members of the Committee
for Understanding, on the next float, also praised the MetaMorph party
for allowing the Pumpkin Patch Nomic to join as a member.

Looking with some disdain on the members of the Flat Earth Preservation
Society, the Round Earth Restoration Society had a float with diagrams
of the huge winches it planned to use to reattach the bottom hemisphere
of Ackanomic.  Even when it was pointed out that the bottom hemisphere's
tether had been severed, they insisted that they could construct a huge
Electrolux to suck it back into place.  Then came the Twits, or rather
the prospective Twits.  Twit Alfvaen kept giving money to Twit Mr.
Tambourine Man, but so far nobody else had admitted their twitness
and joined them.  Eventually, it was time for the last float, that of
the scam VSO Religious Nutcase, which(again)featured Mr. Tambourine Man,
playing a mournful melody on the Great Trombone, just before it was
snatched from eir hands.

Relieved it was over, everyone admitted that the Parade had been a bit
strained, with things arranged haphazardly, a few too many editorial
comments, and a lot of awkward phrasing.  Still, it was interesting.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Trisha Yearwood:The Song Remembers When
Current Book--Mary Stewart:The Moon-Spinners
Swallowing a rasp is difficult, digesting it is impossible.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 02:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: <- Wow!

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > You don't actually say anywhere in this message why you're mentioning
> > these particular proposals. I'm tempted to accept this as a valid
> > statement of retraction just out of pity, but it would be against the
> > rules for me to do so.
> 
> Couldn't you accept "" as an unambiguous misspelling of "I wish to retract
> the following proposals"? No? Thought not.
> 

 I accept your unambiguously misspelt offer "" to trade all your
ackadollars for A$1. 

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 03:32:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: <- Wow!

I retract Proposal 3183 titled "D'oh!"
I retract Proposal 3174 titled "The Financier Doesn't Have Enough Work To
Do"

K2 wrote:

> Proposal 3183 titled "D'oh!"
> Proposal 3174 titled "The Financier Doesn't Have Enough Work To Do"
>
> Should it be the case that the proposal numbers and titles do not
> correspond to the same proposal entity the the titles are to be taken as
> definative and the numbers as spelling errors.
>
> That should do it this time...
>
> Time to post this to games ;)
>
> K 2
> Having a Really bad week :/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 03:52:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Otzma: Start of Day

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Determining Method of Otzma Card Creation
# 1 - Deterministic
# 2 - Random
# Yours,
# Slakko - RuneMaker.

No. of sides on every die:      2
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:   16
No. of rolls per line:         16

      1      1      2      2      1      1      1      1      2      2      2      2      2      2      1      2

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Thu Jun  4 00:52:58 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id AAA15072 for <[email-masked]>; Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:52:58 -0700
> Received: from violet.csi.cam.ac.uk(131.111.8.58) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma015068; Thu Jun  4 00:52:50 1998
> Received: from dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk ([131.111.141.151])
>       by violet.csi.cam.ac.uk with smtp (Exim 1.92 #1)
>       for [email-masked]
>       id 0yhUpM-0006y5-00; Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:52:48 +0100
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:55:40 +0100 (BST)
> From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Otzma Day Part 1
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> X-X-Sender: [email-masked]
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 2
> #D 1
> #R 16
> #L 16
> #C Determining Method of Otzma Card Creation
> #C 1 - Deterministic
> #C 2 - Random
> #C 
> #C Yours,
> #C Slakko - RuneMaker.
> #T Acka: Otzma: Start of Day
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNXZSbT8NitsTFjcVAQFdwAP/QghVRDDuJ0hh9OEGECbSEC3G3mw4Mw0S
bg/C8OQogOqE7uSUNxxkPUj/pkA7zCLASwxOoU7+AMVs0BC7/mmwbEKVtL1deTem
W2aBQIZQe7dee3UNWzg3o5pDRtQ/Re4U34+hyGYUEgJ9Klfy67XUMSAqssoHonZQ
Lxe2RKGncAU=
=x5Mm
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 03:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Otzma Deterministic

7 of the 16 card creation attempts are deterministic.

I therefore create the following cards:

2 ACME InstaGadget
1 Felicitous Populi
1 Shield
1 Founder's Boon
1 Lay Off!
1 Art Thief

The random results will be arriving shortly.

Slakko
RuneMaker
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 03:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Otzma Card Determination Part 2a: Random

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Results of Probabilistic Otzma Card Creation
# 9 of the 16 cards created are to be rolled for randomly
# 1-3 - Go Fish
# 4-6 - Map Shard
# 7 - Summon Tornado
# 8-10 - Untouch Me
# 11-13 - Share My Expenses
# 14-16 - Share Your Income
# 17-19 - Swinging Sale
# 20-22 - Tactical Retreat
# 23-25 - Paratroop
# 26-28 - Foul Fowl
# 29-31 - TruthSeeker
# 32-34 - Fix My Gadget
# 35-37 - Scientist for a Day
# 38-40 - Art Thief
# 41-43 - Skeleton Key
# 44-46 - Grave Robber
# 47-49 - Lay Off!
# 50 - Founder's Boon
# 51-53 - Shield
# 54 - ACME InstaGadget
# 55-57 - Felicitous Populi

No. of sides on every die:     57
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    9
No. of rolls per line:          9

     25     53     29     36     13     16     35     12     41

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Thu Jun  4 00:58:19 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id AAA15284 for <[email-masked]>; Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:58:19 -0700
> Received: from violet.csi.cam.ac.uk(131.111.8.58) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma015279; Thu Jun  4 00:58:14 1998
> Received: from dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk ([131.111.141.151])
>       by violet.csi.cam.ac.uk with smtp (Exim 1.92 #1)
>       for [email-masked]
>       id 0yhUub-00077t-00; Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:58:13 +0100
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:01:05 +0100 (BST)
> From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Otzma Day Part 2
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> X-X-Sender: [email-masked]
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 57
> #D 1
> #R 9
> #L 9
> #C Results of Probabilistic Otzma Card Creation
> #C
> #C 9 of the 16 cards created are to be rolled for randomly
> #C 1-3 - Go Fish
> #C 4-6 - Map Shard
> #C 7 - Summon Tornado
> #C 8-10 - Untouch Me
> #C 11-13 - Share My Expenses
> #C 14-16 - Share Your Income
> #C 17-19 - Swinging Sale
> #C 20-22 - Tactical Retreat
> #C 23-25 - Paratroop
> #C 26-28 - Foul Fowl
> #C 29-31 - TruthSeeker
> #C 32-34 - Fix My Gadget
> #C 35-37 - Scientist for a Day
> #C 38-40 - Art Thief
> #C 41-43 - Skeleton Key
> #C 44-46 - Grave Robber
> #C 47-49 - Lay Off!
> #C 50 - Founder's Boon
> #C 51-53 - Shield
> #C 54 - ACME InstaGadget
> #C 55-57 - Felicitous Populi
> #T Acka: Otzma Card Determination Part 2a: Random
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNXZTqT8NitsTFjcVAQHEkAQAj6nnPKMKc2iSASfolDKQC8f5mu0L8+by
ZeVgUtTMclsB/uFoYtNXLKZsD84hgD7vYqNDikeTjNM1srxjPDDS9k0OY4ZeUhFG
g0VLK9B+JTl0Unrv8WrEfGZHbH4k+Y6WA07J1iqhgaaumR3gWGjyMb9ZTI6GjEum
0XXL+Sjn9Vw=
=LuPn
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 05:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction that entity!

Players are named unownable entities. Thus the named player entity  entity called
K 2 has the name "K 2", jowever, the entity created by rule 1400 is a (by
default) nameless entity....

K 2

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > I am starting an auction on the nameless tradeable mimsy entity called K
> > 2 in the treasury (unfortunatly rule 1400 doesn't specify that it is the
> > Player who is tradable).
>
> Hang about, does that mean that we currently have 2 entities both called K 2?
> And don't the rules give the CSRR power to change the name of one of two
> identically named entities? And aren't I CSRR? K 2, give me one good reason
> why I shouldn't rename you to "Malicious Game Crasher", or some such thing.
> :-)
>
> MTM, CSRR.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 05:17:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Pulse Laser

I am building a pulse laser, it will be complete in 3 days.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Offer

I offer Koxvolio my Paratroop Otzma card for A$50.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offer

> I offer Koxvolio my Paratroop Otzma card for A$50.

I accept. Thank you, Fortunato.

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

Uri Bruck schrieb:

> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
> > Ian K. schrieb:
> > > Frank Schmidt wrote:
> > > > Maybe by reducing the chance that a spaceship crashes from 100% to
> > > > 100/x percent, where x is the number of spaceflights its pilot did, counting
> > > > each travel (Acka-moon, moon-Acka) separate, so x is at least 2 for a
> > > > returning spaceship. Moons could also have such a crash chance, which
> > > > would be lower for most moons. Probably x should also be smaller if
> > > > the pilot just did some spaceflights within the last few days.

> > > Erm... wouldb't this mean that your spaceship would have a smaller chance
> > > of crashing the further you went?
> > > Koxvolio

> > Exactly. It may become broken, and therefore need repair, but it
> > will remain in the possession of the player. I thought that might
> > encourage some players to try and go for it, shipping other players
> > who don't want the risk themselves.
> > JMB

> I thought it meant the pilot was getting to be more experienced, but if x
> always started out as 1, then the ship would always crash on the first
> trip, wouldn't it?

> Niccolo Flychuck

That depends on the moon. Maybe it's more difficult to reach some
moons than to reach others. And the crash probability would be linked
with the pilot, not the ship.
JMB

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 11:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church of tThe Book of Chorg

I am announcing my intent to found the Church of The Book of Chorg.

Enlightenment is naturally a bonus.
Reading material not required.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 12:17:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  A really, really stupid thing.

Until, of course, I did something tremendously stupid.

I give A$2 to the Twits (aka Mr. Tambourine Man).

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	AARON KEESLER 
>Sent:	Thursday, June 04, 1998 11:11 AM
>To:	[email-masked]'
>Subject:	RE: Acka: Auction that entity!
>
>Speaking of, do I not qualify as a seriously active player?  And I do
>believe I am still eligible :)
>
>
>
>Hubert sez:
>>
>>The days of fear and oppression are over; I admit defeat at the capable
>>hands of /dev/joe, the only seriously active player still eligible to find
>>Treasure 200.
>>
>>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:44:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: <- Wow!

>  I accept your unambiguously misspelt offer "" to trade all your
> ackadollars for A$1. 

Sigh, this again. I accept you unambiguously misspelt offer to give me all
your tradeable entities (which you spelt "I accept your unambiguously
misspelt offer "" to trade all your
ackadollars for A$1.").

MTM, who's been through all this before with Slakko (round about the time of
Slakko's agenda win).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:44:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 597 (TRUE)

Alfvaen has judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 597- May 19, 1998
Subject: Enlightenment
Initiator: JT (sent May 19, 1998, 15:28)
Judge: IdiotBoy (selected May 21, 1998, 14:42) (deadbeat)
Second Judge: Alfvaen
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
  JT, /dev/joe, Vynd, and Calvin N Hobbes are all Enlightened.

Initiator's Reasoning:
  (as a small side note, this is within (just barely) the 14 day
retroactivity
limit, but I needed the previous CFJ's for my reasoning)
  On May 5th, /dev/joe, Vynd, JT, and Calvin N Hobbes were burnt as witches
under the then current (now defunct) text of Rule 670.
  This was decided by CFJ 588, which although the statement only specified
/dev/joe and Vynd certainly applied to all Senators at the time, not just
those two.
  Under the decision of the recent CFJ 594,  all witches are heretics and
thus the phrase burned as a witch in the version of rule 670 which was in
effect at the time of the burning was sufficient to invoke the portion of
rule 1307 which caused them to become Enlightened (and to each lose 10 points
for that matter).
  CFJ 594 is relevant since the text of 1307 has not changed in the tie
frame being discussed by this CFJ although rule 670 has changed to remove the
phrase which I believe triggered the Enlightenment.

Judge's Reasoning:
The statement of this is almost trivial, since, as K 2 pointed out,
/dev/joe, Vynd, and Calvin N Hobbes were all enlightened before May 5th.
However, since JT was not burned until May 20, 13:23, after JT submitted
this CFJ, I guess I have to do some work after all, since this determines
whether or not JT was actually burned as a witch on May 20, 13:23.

So, if JT was burned on May 5th, does this mean e was enlightened
therefrom?  The question here is, what exactly happens when one is burned
as a witch?  Or, rather, what is the process of "being burned as a witch"?

Rule 1307 states:
   If the verdict is 'BURN THE WITCH!', the alleged witch shall be
   incinerated as a heretic, atop a huge bonfire that not only reduces em
   to eir component atoms, but also inspires righteous terror in all who
   see it. The witch shall then enter the Ackanomic Afterlife, and shall
   lose 10 points. That player is then said to be Enlightened.
   
JT's argument seems to be that the _entire paragraph_ describes what happens
when one is burned as a witch(which I guess is equivalent to being
incinerated as a heretic).  To me, it seems more common-sensical that the
first sentence only describes the actual process of being burned as a witch,
and the rest of the paragraph describes only what happens after someone who
has had a Witchhunt called on em is burned.

However, let's see if there's any prior game custom to the contrary...

Malenkai's reasoning for CFJ 317(which the Judge, Calvin N Hobbes, seemed
to agree with)states that Enlightenment is not an attribute which is
granted, but rather something maintained by the Rule which defines it,
sort of like the title of Third Cat.  If Rule 1307 were to be repealed,
nobody would remain Enlightened(unless, of course, it were elsewhere
defined in the Rules).  In that case, the above-quoted paragraph of Rule
1307 includes a definition of being Enlightened--having been incinerated
as a heretic, entered the Ackanomic Afterlife, and lost 10 points.
(And not having called an unsuccessful Witchhunt on someone else,
as Rule 1307 also states these days...)  But I remain unconvinced
that being burned as a witch by a Rule other then Rule 1307(or 1307.1,
which explicitly says it uses the same process)necessarily results in
the remainder of the process being carried out.  (On the other hand,
two later CFJ's do refer to Enlightenment as being an Attribute, so
perhaps game custom has changed in that case...)

ThinMan's judgement of CFJ 318 also notes that "burning a witch" is not
a defined action, but instead there are two states, "having been burned"
or "not having been burned".  So then the quoted paragraph may read as
describing the effects of a transition into the "having been burned" state,
which would lead to a judgement of TRUE.

Those are the only relevant CFJ's on the subject of burning witches and
Enlightenment that I can find; as far as I can tell the Rules are still
sufficiently similar that they still hold true.

So if it is the case that being burned as a witch is not an action, but
causes one to change states from "not having been burned as a witch" to
"having been burned as a witch", then I am forced to the conclusion that,
as a result of having been changed from one state to the other, JT became
Enlightened, lost 10 points, and was moved to the Ackanomic Afterlife.

However, as someone once said, "A conclusion is the place where someone got
tired of thinking", and that may be the case here.  Having RFCed this to
rousing silence, I might as well rule this TRUE, and if anyone really
cares to the contrary, then they can appeal it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:36:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma card bids

> I bid A$65 on the ACME InstaGadget

I bid A$75 on the ACME InstaGadget.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:49:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Auction

I bid A$ 97

K 2

John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> I bid A$88 on the ACME InstaGadget auction
>
>                                - Vynd
>
> [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 19:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfiness

I hereby declare P3185 Harfy, just because :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:39:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Church of tThe Book of Chorg

>I am announcing my intent to found the Church of The Book of Chorg.
>
>Enlightenment is naturally a bonus.
>Reading material not required.
>
>K 2

I am petitioning K 2 to allow me to become a member of the Church of The Book
of Chorg.

AtP
enlighted (he thinks)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:49:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church of tThe Book of Chorg

>I am announcing my intent to found the Church of The Book of Chorg.
>
>Enlightenment is naturally a bonus.
>Reading material not required.
>
>K 2
>
I leave the Order of the Righteous Loophold Surfers.

I petition K 2 for admission to the Church of The Book of Chorg.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:51:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinkets/Actions

   Wanted to point out to the keeper of the Player/Entity page that the Sword of 
Kahless is valued at A$100 and is a Majik.  Continuing on:

I convert the Tube Top of Kyle Bannor into A$50.

I give A$10 to K2 for declaring my trinket to be Majik.

- -- JJ

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:08:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church of tThe Book of Chorg

>I am announcing my intent to found the Church of The Book of Chorg.
>
>Enlightenment is naturally a bonus.
>Reading material not required.

I leave the Church of the Markovian Dream and petition for membership
into the Church of the Book of Chorg.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #184
*******************************