Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #175
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Saturday, May 30 1998        Volume 03 : Number 175

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:01:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

breadbox has(understandably)failed to post Phoebe's wisdom.  She has
been found by K 2.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Wish You Were Here
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
The sky is a poisonous garden tonight

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:02:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sleepy

On Fri, 29 May 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

>
>I'm tired, but i wnated to mention that proposals 3117 and 3139 are both
>harfy.  Sorry, no silly story this time, I know you're all broken-hearted
>about it too.

I'm sorry Vynd, but after the passage of P3079, I am Harfmeister, so you
cannot make this declaration.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:36:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

> Meanwhile, right next to him, and second up the podium is Alfvaen, looking
> a little weary from a busy last week proposing.  Alfvaen's acceptances
> have valued him up to a Blue Cross Rank of 130, second behind only Elder
> Malenkai.  Alfvaen is also handed a Silver Stripe, going with his two
> Golds and two existing Silvers.

Not only was I a little weary from Proposing, I wasn't even finished
Scorekeeping yet.  I was only up to a BCR of 128 as far as I'd done.
:-)

Only 50 more to that Ruby Slipper...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Wish You Were Here
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
Pick a piece of me; it'll never be the same twice.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:37:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Otzma Card Probabilistic Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Vynd (eir Arcane Lore from the Ackanomicon)
# 1-3 - Go Fish
# 4-6 - Map Shard
# 7 - Summon Tornado
# 8-10 - Rod & Staff
# 11-13 - Share My Expenses
# 14-16 - Share Your Income
# 17-19 - Swinging Sale
# 20-22 - Tactical Retreat
# 23-25 - Paratroop
# 26-28 - Foul Fowl
# 29-31 - TruthSeeker
# 32-34 - Fix My Gadget
# 35-37 - Scientist for a Day
# 38-40 - Art Thief
# 41-43 - Skeleton Key
# 44-46 - Grave Robber
# 47-49 - Lay Off!
# 50 - Founder's Boon
# 51-53 - Shield

No. of sides on every die:     53
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     13

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Fri May 29 21:37:07 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id VAA01254 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 29 May 1998 21:37:07 -0700
> Received: from edtntnt2-port-109.agt.net(209.115.133.109) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma001231; Fri May 29 21:36:59 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by concordia.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id WAA01150 for [email-masked]; Fri, 29 May 1998 22:20:30 -0600
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Otzma
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:20:29 -0600 (MDT)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 53
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Otzma Card Probabilistic Determination
> 
> #C Player: Vynd (eir Arcane Lore from the Ackanomicon)
> #C
> #C 1-3 - Go Fish
> #C 4-6 - Map Shard
> #C 7 - Summon Tornado
> #C 8-10 - Rod & Staff
> #C 11-13 - Share My Expenses
> #C 14-16 - Share Your Income
> #C 17-19 - Swinging Sale
> #C 20-22 - Tactical Retreat
> #C 23-25 - Paratroop
> #C 26-28 - Foul Fowl
> #C 29-31 - TruthSeeker
> #C 32-34 - Fix My Gadget
> #C 35-37 - Scientist for a Day
> #C 38-40 - Art Thief
> #C 41-43 - Skeleton Key
> #C 44-46 - Grave Robber
> #C 47-49 - Lay Off!
> #C 50 - Founder's Boon
> #C 51-53 - Shield
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNW+M+D8NitsTFjcVAQFwMwP9FbjkyFSY8tp02pBYcFQqFGv+99r5BZGk
dNBcoyhdC+Wvqwg2GcTM7N4jC1UA1QyPBJLgsg4Jaes/4oF/PkItJhP5xSznqbRp
3eJx+v3Ezyo8J4fBr7MqB4+iaUnV26TkMQ4FXPeQjeTrsY35qwYgw5MbwaLQJBA5
C5qj69ByyA4=
=zC02
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:37:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Did I Win?

I can't remember; has it been conclusively decided by CFJ whether or not I
have an infinite number of points?  Obviously I harfed the Fortnightly
Dividends under the assumption that I do not(ThinMan's Proposal wouldn't
have fixed that, unfortunately), but I can't remember if it's under appeal,
or whether all that was decided was that I submitted it too late.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--OMD:Architecture & Morality
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
'I want you to accompany me on the safari.' 'I've never played one in my life!'

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 01:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

I convert 4 swingpoints into bonus vote.
I make some Right handed Grapefruit Juice using my Right Handed
Grapefruit, this causes some difficulty 'cause I'm left handed
:)
I offer the Right Handed Grapefruit I just created in excange for Mr.
Tambourine Man's Amber Banana.
I offer A$ 15 to JT in exchange for eir Amber Banana.

To any entities which own an Amber Banana I make a similar offer.

In reply to Joe Java, regarding the Sword of Kahless, I state: This
Trinket is Majik.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 01:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess Hearing Results

JT wrote:

> On Fri, 29 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
> >Several players attempted to cast votes via their Evil Ballot Stuffers.
> >Due to a probably-overlooked clause in R69, this caused ThinMan,
> >else...if, JT, and Rex Mundi to transfer all their gift entities to the
> >Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.  Financier, take note.
>
> I don't *THINK* so Hubert :)
> It merely says they will be ignored :)
> Financier, definately read the rule before complying with Hubert as above.

Motion DENIED.

> Bad Hubert, no biscuit :)

I purchase a forehead from the forehead shop, It is a large chocolate oval
stamped with the word "Arnotts". Made from a brittle material it will probably
shatter if dropped. It is particularly good for dunking in hot drinks (should
its wearer ever be so careless as to spill hot liquids on eir head).

I offer this forhead to Hubert.

> --JT
>
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 01:26:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

On Sat, 30 May 1998, K2 wrote:
>I offer A$ 15 to JT in exchange for eir Amber Banana.

I accept this offer.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 03:51:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe

> breadbox has(understandably)failed to post Phoebe's wisdom.

DAMMIT!

breadbox
three-time loser

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 04:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

On Sat, 30 May 1998, K2 wrote:

> I convert 4 swingpoints into bonus vote.
> I make some Right handed Grapefruit Juice using my Right Handed
> Grapefruit, this causes some difficulty 'cause I'm left handed
> :)
> I offer the Right Handed Grapefruit I just created in excange for Mr.
> Tambourine Man's Amber Banana.
> I offer A$ 15 to JT in exchange for eir Amber Banana.
> 
> To any entities which own an Amber Banana I make a similar offer.

I accept your offer of A$15 in return for one of my Amber Bananas.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:25:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

> I offer the Right Handed Grapefruit I just created in excange for Mr.
> Tambourine Man's Amber Banana.

I accept this offer.

Mr. Tambourine Man.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:25:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Did I Win?

> I can't remember; has it been conclusively decided by CFJ whether or not I
> have an infinite number of points?  Obviously I harfed the Fortnightly
> Dividends under the assumption that I do not(ThinMan's Proposal wouldn't
> have fixed that, unfortunately), but I can't remember if it's under appeal,
> or whether all that was decided was that I submitted it too late.  :-)

It was decided you submitted it too late. Nothing is stopping you from
submitting another CWCFJ though, now that ThinMan's proposal got through...

Mr. Tambourine Man.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess Hearing Results

> >Several players attempted to cast votes via their Evil Ballot Stuffers.
> >Due to a probably-overlooked clause in R69, this caused ThinMan,
> >else...if, JT, and Rex Mundi to transfer all their gift entities to the
> >Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.  Financier, take note.
> 
> I don't *THINK* so Hubert :)
> It merely says they will be ignored :)
> Financier, definately read the rule before complying with Hubert as above.

I'll never forget when Slakko and I were arguing over unambiguous
mis-spellings and we kept claiming we were giving all our tradable entities
to each other with every message we wrote. Alfvaen never did harf things that
way though, I don't know why. I also offer to trade A$1 of mine for all the
tradable entities belonging to anyone else.

Mr. Tambourine Man, trying to see just how dumb people can be.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 603 (AtP)

AtP has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 603- May 30, 1998
Subject: Playing With Fire
Initiator: Hubert (sent May 29, 1998, 17:20)
Judge: Atilla the Pun (selected May 30, 1998, 08:59)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Neither Slakko nor Wild Card is Enlightened.

Initiator's Reasoning:
Well, in Slakko's case this is true by a CFJ submitted by emself, which
established that Witchhunts cannot be called unless the offending text was
stated explicitly.  E called the Blackhunt against emself for stating 

, which certainly does not explicitly contradict that black is a color.
In other words, by eir own reasoning, interpretation is not a valid cause
for a Witchhunt. 

More generally, though, Slakko and Wild Card both attempted to get around
the new Middle Ages restriction on Churches' use of Secret Labs by calling
Black Witchhunts on themselves.  I would argue that Rule 1307.1 does not
allow this to happen.  True, it states "Witchhunts may be called against
.... using the same methods and results as described in Rule 1307..." which
would seem to imply that Slakko and WC's actions were valid.

But R1307.1 also says that the "same methods and results" of R1307 must be
used.  R1307 does not allow a player to call a Witchhunt against emself;
it states explicitly that "any other player" may start the Witchhunt.
Ergo, Slakko and Wild Card called invalid Witchhunts, and never got
burned.  That's what they get for playing with fire.

Oh, and any judge who attempts to take advantage of my never having
paid attention during grammar class and use the possibly incorrect
substitution of "is" for "are" in the Statement of this CFJ as grounds for
its  dismissal will be met with the full force of my wrath.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 165 (Koxvolio)

Koxvolio has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgment 165 (May 30)
Subject: Iconoclasm
Initiator: K 2 (sent May 30, 1998, 04:12)
Judge: Koxvolio (selected May 30, 1998, 09:04)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Hubert committed the Crime of Iconoclasm on 17th May.

Initiator's Reasoning:
According to Rule 1005, an organizational action consists of two parts,
namely the suggestion, followed by the approval of each of the
organization's members. Section 4.e of Rule 1301 gives Church Policy the
ability outline an alternate method by which the church's priesthood may
make a decision, however, neither that section nor any other section of
rule 1301 gives church policy the power to initiate that action. As a
result a church action must first be suggested before church policy may
be applied to make a decision regarding that action.

Regarding the Order of the Razor Boomerang's (OotRB) Church Policy, the
following statements have been made by its founder (Hubert):
i) Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:07:41: Razor Boomerangs may refer to the Founder
as anything other than "Hubert."  This includes pronouns.  The preceding
two sentences are false, and so is this one.

ii) Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:05:58: Since Church Policy requires that all
members approve of any organizational action suggested by the Founder,
and since R1005 does not require public approval of actions, this
happens instantaneously.

iii) Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:16:39: I suggest that the Order of the Razor
Boomerang build a Secret Lab, and it occurs because I'm the Founder and
two of my minio... uh, Priests have approved it already.  Church Policy
is whatever it needs to be in order for this to happen.

iv) Mon, 04 May 1998 18:25:37: I suggest that the Order of the Razor
Boomerang use its Secret Lab to create a Spell Book of Chorg.  Since I
am the Founder, this happens.

v) Sun, 24 May 1998 01:34:05: Did I forget to mention that the Order of
the Razor Boomerang automatically approves of any action the Razor
Boomerangs undertake?  It's in the Church Policy.

Since points ii and iii-iv appear to disagree it would appear that
church policy changed to allow the founder to make autocratic decisions.
In accord with this, an action undertaken by the OotRB on 04 May 1998
18:25:37 only required the suggestion of the founder:
>I suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang transfer its
>Spell Book of Chorg to Joe Java. Since I am the Founder, this happens.

According to point v the OotRB automatically approves all RB actions,
however according to rule 1005 an organizational action must first be
suggested since church policy does not have the power to do so itself.
Since Hubert did not suggest that the OotRB take the action of approving
the action of the RB, that was suggested on 17 May 1998 20:15:59, 
within a week of the suggestion of that action, e disobeyed church 
policy which implicitly requires the suggestion of that action. As 
a result Hubert committed the heinous crime of Iconoclasm.

Ideally the miscreant would be hung by eir toe nails and pummelled into
unconsciousness with a razor boomerang, however, since such punishment
is legally impossible:

Suggested Punishment:
Removal from the Order of the Razor Boomerangs and Transference of
Bill's Razor Boomerang, Sluggo's Razor Boomerang and Goldie's Razor
Boomerang to the initiator of this CFJ that e may be return them to
worshipers of the faith.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stock Market

	I think it's time to start slowing things down.  I suggest that the
D-setting be set to 0.125 and the A-setting to 0.2.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:37:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lab

	I suggest that Shell#10 create a pulse laser and give it to Mr.
Tamborine Man (sorry about the spelling).

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess Hearing Results

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> way though, I don't know why. I also offer to trade A$1 of mine for all the
> tradable entities belonging to anyone else.

I give all of my tradable entities to the Church of banna.  
I suggest that Church accept them, so this happens.
I accept Mr. tambourine man's offer of A$1.  
I create a trinket valued at $a1, called "just how dumb people can be". it
has the following description: "".
I give (gift is not a verb!) this trinket to MTM

rufus

> 
> Mr. Tambourine Man, trying to see just how dumb people can be.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:00:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

> In reply to Joe Java, regarding the Sword of Kahless, I state: This
> Trinket is Majik.

Hoohoo!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 603 (AtP)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> AtP has been selected.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 603- May 30, 1998
> Subject: Playing With Fire
> Initiator: Hubert (sent May 29, 1998, 17:20)
> Judge: Atilla the Pun (selected May 30, 1998, 08:59)
> Judgement: 
> 
> Statement:
> Neither Slakko nor Wild Card is Enlightened.
> 
> Initiator's Reasoning:
> Well, in Slakko's case this is true by a CFJ submitted by emself, which
> established that Witchhunts cannot be called unless the offending text was
> stated explicitly.  E called the Blackhunt against emself for stating 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> , which certainly does not explicitly contradict that black is a color.
> In other words, by eir own reasoning, interpretation is not a valid cause
> for a Witchhunt. 

While I agree with the rest of the initiators reasoning, I would just like
to point out that the CFJ he refers to here is under appeal.

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: mupppetlabs

Breadbox doesn't seem to have said anything, but the web pages at
muppetlabs are back up.  

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:34:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lab

> 	I suggest that Shell#10 create a pulse laser and give it to Mr.
> Tamborine Man (sorry about the spelling).

Unsurprisingly, I approve this suggestion. :-)

Mr. Tambourine Man.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:40:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Monzter!

	Zit haz been brought to my atenzion zhat I haf yeet to declar un
Frankunsteen Monzter.  Zerefore, zI announs zhat I am creating zhe
Maderngaret!  Bwahahahaha!

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:45:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3156

>{{ The player formerly known as The Gingham Wearer is appointed to the
>Office of Emperor. ['Cause e won IN 29, you know.] }}
	I change my name to The Gingham Wearer.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: So much for the surprise

I installed a shiny clean new apache tonight, and I've just finished
updating all my pages and testing things. Nothing seems to be acting
broken, so I am tentatively announcing that the muppetlabs web pages
are back in service.

Of course, things are still very much under construction here, but
with the exception of FTP service, none of it should affect the
game. We still have this problem with Perl segfaulting with certain
modules functions, which is not making me happy at all, but I've
hacked all my scripts to work around it for now. At least they all
seem to be working, as near as I can tell. We will probably have to
take the machine down at least one more time at some point, but that
will only result in the web pages being unavailable for a few hours.
Just don't cut any deadlines too close for a while.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:00:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stocks

	I suggest that the Ackan Reserve requesition A$-3000 from the Treasury.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:01:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3156

> >{{ The player formerly known as The Gingham Wearer is appointed to the
> >Office of Emperor. ['Cause e won IN 29, you know.] }}
> 	I change my name to The Gingham Wearer.

Tsk tsk. Only the player associated with the human being Tom Walmsley
may have The Gingham Wearer as eir name.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church

	I announce my intent to found a Church named The Order of the Brass
Monkey, devoted to the worship of the much-deserving Brass Monkey.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:17:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: So much for the surprise

Oh wait, I do have a little surprise still - during the downtime I was
able to complete a minor reengineering of the rules files.

We now have a current and regularly-updated web page of repealed rules:
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/rules/repealed.html.

It's not exhaustive, of course, but then it's not meant to be. It
doesn't go back to before I became Rule-Harfer, which was only about
six or eight months ago, and there are some repealed rules that are
missing from the first month. Furthermore, when a repealed rule has
the same number as a later rule, it falls off the page. (The original
repealed rules page that /dev/joe created didn't have this kind of
problem because back then all rules had the number of the last
proposal that amended it. Things are more [and less] complicated now.)
And, finally, I won't be tracking rules that never contained anything
but self-deleting text, or that for some other reason existed for less
than a finite amount of time.

In other words, it's not an official document; it's just another bit
of harfing that, like the rules-by-category page, could prove to be
useful.

(And hopefully this new setup will also avoid the problem I've had in
the past, in which the removal of a rule wouldn't triggering the
makefile for that web page....)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:31:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

I retract all offers I have made.

I perform the acid rain dance. It invoves a lot of shaking of the
extremities followed by repeated aplication of a size 23 wooden mallet to
the head.

K 2

K2 wrote:

> I convert 4 swingpoints into bonus vote.
> I make some Right handed Grapefruit Juice using my Right Handed
> Grapefruit, this causes some difficulty 'cause I'm left handed
> :)
> I offer the Right Handed Grapefruit I just created in excange for Mr.
> Tambourine Man's Amber Banana.
> I offer A$ 15 to JT in exchange for eir Amber Banana.
>
> To any entities which own an Amber Banana I make a similar offer.
>
> In reply to Joe Java, regarding the Sword of Kahless, I state: This
> Trinket is Majik.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:32:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Important actions

> >I accept the spell book, provided that I can read it in the Ackanomic
> >Afterlife, where I think I am right now. I read page 4 of it, and then
it
> >(page 4, not the book) suddenly burns by spontaneous combustion, also
> >burning my fingers.
> 
> Unfortunately, you need to wait a week before reading the book Ayla.

After waiting a week, I sit at my favorite armchair at my house, to read
page 4 of the spell book. I see page 4 burns by spontaneous combustion and,
not wanting to keep such a dangerous, inflammable thing at my house, I give
the book to whoever Hubert indicates. I guess I lost the message that said
in which order we should read the book. How I miss my Doh! machine...
<sigh>

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Dinner Table Attendance: Cats must attend all meals when anything
good is served.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:38:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Important actions

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Raquel Peres da Silva wrote:

> the book to whoever Hubert indicates. I guess I lost the message that said
> in which order we should read the book. How I miss my Doh! machine...
> <sigh>

I thwap Ayla over the head with the one and only true D'oh!

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stocks

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

>	I suggest that the Ackan Reserve requesition A$-3000 from the Treasury.

I also suggest the same.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 14:10:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gadget Building

As inventor I am starting building a Finger of Justice. It will be ready in
three days time.

Mr. Tambourine Man, Inventor.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 15:31:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oars

I'm pretty sure it's the Oars this week...anyway, whatever it is, it has
been found by else...if.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Genesis:Duke
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
We never bothered to scream when your mask went off

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:03:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfiness abounds

I declare K2 Funky and Stylish for proposing P3139 :)
I declare P3155 Harfy.
I declare P3156 Harfy.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:43:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stocks

On Sat, 30 May 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> >	I suggest that the Ackan Reserve requesition A$-3000 from the Treasury.
> 
> I also suggest the same.
> 
I suggest and/or approve.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 17:34:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Gingham Telegraph

This month we're looking at duels. The first ever duel was on the 14th
October 1996 an amazingly all four of the participants are still in the game
(just about). Guy Fawkes challenged Robert Sevin with Malenkai and Calvin N
Hobbes as the seconds. Eventually, Guy Fawkes fought to an 8-6 victory in a
Limerick competition. The question is though, what trends have shaped duels
since then? Who's been involved in the most? Who's had the most success? And
what games are the most popular? Hopefully, all these questions and more
shall be answered below.

In the early days the most popular game for duels was without doubt the
limerick contest. Of the first ten duels 6 were limerick contests. The only
other game chosen at all being ghost which was chosen three times (the reason
for these numbers not adding up to ten was that Narf forfeited duel number 8
(against Fnord)). Since then however there has not been a single instance of
a limericks duel, whereas ghost remains as popular as ever. Including the
current duel between Alfvaen and JT there have now been a total of ten ghost
duels, making it by far the most popular game for dueling. The next most
popular game is double crash, with three occurrences, followed by single
capture go and viruses with 2 each and then on 1 instance apiece are spades,
tromino go and YORL (two of which are still going on as we speak).

The single player who has fought in the most duels (not including being a
second, nor forfeited duels) is Alfvaen, on a staggering total of 7. Second
is saaremaa on five followed by The Gingham Wearer and Mr. Lunatic Fringe on
four each. Robert Sevin, breadbox, /dev/joe, Vynd and Slakko have all been in
three; Guy Fawkes, Mohammed, ThinMan, else...if and JT in two; and the
numbers are made up by Red Barn, Bascule, two-star, Goldenmean, Hubert, Joe
Java and Koxvolio have one appearance each. 

If you add on appearances as seconds (but still not counting forfeited duels)
then Alfvaen is still out in front, now with a mammoth total of 13. In joint
second place are The Gingham Wearer and /dev/joe with 8. Then comes saaremaa
on 7, Slakko on 6, breadbox, Robert Sevin and ThinMan on 5, Calvin N Hobbes,
Niccolo Flychuck, Mohammed, Snowgod, Vynd and Hubert on 4, Guy Fawkes and JT
on 3, else...if, two-star, Koxvolio and Habeous Corpus on 2, and finally, Red
Barn, Lestrade, Fortunato, rufus, Rex Mundi, IdiotBoy, Goldenmean, Bascule,
and Joe Java on 1.

The most noticeable changes there are that Calvin N Hobbes and Niccolo
Flychuck have been seconds in four duels each without ever participating,
whereas snowgod has been involved in four duels but was never a second.

There are only two pairings who have dueled each other twice. These are TGW
and Alfvaen and Malenkai and snowgod. TGW and Alfvaen however have both also
acted as second to the other, notably when Alfvaen seconded The Gingham
Wearer against Slakko (in the only drawn duel no less) on April 11, 1998 only
about half a month after defeating him in their second ghost duel (TGW won
the first). On the other hand Malenkai defeated snowgod in both their
meetings.

There are only five players who have fought in two consecutive duels. The
Gingham Wearer (as mentioned above); Guy Fawkes who was involved in both the
first two ever duels; Alfvaen fought to a victory against Vynd before being
defeated by Slakko; and Vynd who fought all three of his in a six month
period in which only 4 duels took place! The most impressive of all though
was snowgod who took part in three successive duels against Robert Sevin,
Malenkai and Red Barn (winning just one).

The most victories in duels again goes to Alfvaen with 4, followed by
Malenkai and /dev/joe with three and Guy Fawkes, Vynd and breadbox with 2.

We at The Telegraph hope you enjoyed this exclusive look at duels. If you
have any comments then please email us at [email-masked]

Note: Part way through this article being written the duel between JT and
Alfvaen was completed so the latter half of it takes this into account
whereas the first half doesn't.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 17:49:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auto Stripe

No fanfare this time, just an honest Stripe awarding.
As President, I create a Gold Stripe in the possession of Slakko for
reaching a Blue Cross Rank of 100 through the acceptance of proposal 3123.
My three Silver Stripes disappear as I obtain my Gold Stripe.  Still, I
think the Gold one goes better with my outfit.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 17:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Contaminated Wuleset

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > > If I wecaww cowwectly, someone just wepwaced "Spewwing Bee" with "in
> > > the Wules", making it possibwe to wepwlace any occuwance of "in the
> > > Wules" in the Wuleset. I think if the game isn't in a state of
> > > cwisis now, I don't know when it wiww be...
> > 
> > Er? When did this happen? Apparently I missed it.
> 
> IIRC, this was in one of K 2's proposals and was in notes brackets so didn't
> actually happen. I could of course be wrong though.

It was in a proposal authored by K 2.  K 2, however, never sent a public
message saying it - the only public message saying it was sent by
breadbox.  So K 2 obviously could not have said it, even though e authored
the proposal containing it.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 19:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Oy!

	Ze laffed at me at zhe academy, but now I veel zhow zem!  I unveil:
Maderngaret!!!

	An Active player of Ackanomic exists whose Ackanomic name is
Maderngaret.
	Maderngaret's construction is such that any new parts would be
rejected.

	Bwahahahahaha!

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:02:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

>	An Active player of Ackanomic exists whose Ackanomic name is
>Maderngaret.
	I believe this does nothing, since it would have two entities with
the name Maderngaret. (Sorry, this was from K2)

>	Maderngaret's construction is such that any new parts would be
>rejected.
(From JT, who this gets transfered to)

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:15:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

> 	An Active player of Ackanomic exists whose Ackanomic name is
> Maderngaret.
> 	Maderngaret's construction is such that any new parts would be
> rejected.

It seems pretty clear that you have publicized this blueprint too
early, unless it has been thirty days since you received that last
sentence.

Maderngaret is NOT its Blueprint, or its Discovery. (The map is not
the territory.) Maderngaret's construction may be such that - when it
exists - any new parts would be rejected. But the Discovery itself
continues to be viable.

This has been upheld in a prior CFJ (sorry, don't remember which).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:16:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

> 	Ze laffed at me at zhe academy, but now I veel zhow zem!  I unveil:
> Maderngaret!!!

> 	An Active player of Ackanomic exists whose Ackanomic name is
> Maderngaret.
> 	Maderngaret's construction is such that any new parts would be
> rejected.

Yes, but the Blueprint-Under-Construction for Maderngaret is not such that
any new parts would be rejected.  I seem to recall this one coming up in
Lushrike's Blueprint as well, so in any case it has probably been submitted
before and is thus invalid(unless the Rules have been changed to allow
parts to be submitted more than once).  ICOCBW.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Odds:Wendy Under The Stars
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
Let not the sands of time get in your lunch.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:20:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

>This has been upheld in a prior CFJ (sorry, don't remember which).
	Curzes!  Ze academy vas correct!  Ze blueprint iz not complete!

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

else..if:

>         Maderngaret's construction is such that any new parts would be
> rejected.

I don't think so.

breadbox:

> This has been upheld in a prior CFJ (sorry, don't remember which).

CFJ 342?

saaremaa
Expert on FM construction scams :-)
between vacations

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oy!

As someone commented, if that sentance was used in a previous FM, then it
wouldn't be valid in this one.  However, I was unable to find any link to
previous FM blueprints/discoveries, so couldn't check if it was legitimate
or not.  There is also no easy way to search the CFJ archives to detect
whether something has been tried before without an exhaustive read, so I
just decided to try it. (now I will go check the CFJ that saaremaa pointed
to and see what it says :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #175
*******************************