Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #172
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Wednesday, May 27 1998        Volume 03 : Number 172

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:46:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A wee bit of trouble on the ranch

>> But this is a long term solution, and what we need now is a quick fix to
>> get us through the "Time of No Email".  Perhaps a proposal moratorium,
>> official holiday, something like that?
> 	May I suggest a State of Emergency with a resolution along the
> lines of "the days xxx through yyy did not exist for the purpose of any
> Ackanomic time limits or other purposes."

Oh, for goodness' sake's, people, calm down.

We're back up.

breadbox
anyone want to fill me in on the middle of the conversation?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 01:38:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A wee bit of trouble on the ranch

>> But this is a long term solution, and what we need now is a quick fix to
>> get us through the "Time of No Email".  Perhaps a proposal moratorium,
>> official holiday, something like that?
> 	May I suggest a State of Emergency with a resolution along the
> lines of "the days xxx through yyy did not exist for the purpose of any
> Ackanomic time limits or other purposes."

Oh, for goodness' sake's, people, calm down. We're back up.

breadbox
anyone want to fill me in on the middle of the conversation?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 04:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: acka: pumpkin patch

>I suggest that the Metamorph party accept Pumpkin Patch Nomic as a Member.

I approve. I actually approved two days ago, but for some reason I can't work
out my mail was returned to sender, address unknown.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 04:42:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A wee bit of trouble on the ranch

>> But this is a long term solution, and what we need now is a quick fix
>> to get us through the "Time of No Email".  Perhaps a proposal
>> moratorium, official holiday, something like that?
> 	May I suggest a State of Emergency with a resolution along the
> lines of "the days xxx through yyy did not exist for the purpose of any
> Ackanomic time limits or other purposes."

Let's not panic, folks. (O ye of little faith.) muppetlabs.com is already
back on the air.

breadbox
who can't quite say the same for himself.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Valid holidays?

Do we now have a valid holiday til Saturday or don't we?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valid holidays?

> Do we now have a valid holiday til Saturday or don't we?

What? Tell me you people didn't try to declare a holiday!

When I requested that we take it easy, what I meant was that we just go
with things, and not try to upset the usual flow of events. Avoid
threadsplits, yes, but also avoid upsetting the regular schedules. I guess
I should have been more explicit.

I am especially not prepared to deal with proposals that have a voting
period of anything other than seven days at the moment, and I don't have
the free time to make that start working now without a fair bit of
trouble. (If other people desperately need schedule extensions, well then
I guess that's another matter, but let the need be real, please.) 

I can't really discuss this in detail right now, because my mail reader is
crashing when I use emacs, so I have to use this rotten builtin editor to
type this. If there was a holiday declaration, it clearly wasn't done on
any officially recognized mailing lists. I suppose one could argue that it
still succeeded if it was sent to everyone (everyone except ME, that is,
but a prior CFJ - don't know the number but it was right around when I
became Postmaster - probably renders that objection null). Somebody please
figure this out ASAP (hopefully without having to submit a CFJ), so I know
what I need to be doing.

ANYWAY - the mailing lists should all be working smoothly. If they aren't,
let me know at once. Hopefully tomorrow (today I mean) I can get my mail
reader to behave again. We still need to build and install apache and the
like, so I'm afraid there's no web or ftp access yet. That will probably
be what gets worked on next. I don't expect it to be too long before
they're up. Be patient, these things will come. If it looks like there
will be delays, I'll keep you all informed. 

Proposals 3089 thru 3099 are due Tuesday (today), around 10:30 PM EDT. 
I'll send out a copy of them in case some of you haven't gotten around to
voting on them yet. (And in case we aren't in a holiday, I guess.) Nothing
is due Wednesday, and if we don't have web service going by Thursday,
which I consider VERY unlikely, I'll set up the proposals page on an
alternate website. Nomicbot is as healthy as ever, of course, and is
waiting to accept your votes and whatnot. Anyone who's become dependent on
the web interface and has forgotten how to use nomicbot directly, just ask
for instructions and they'll be sent. 

Did I miss anything interesting, by the way? You know, you folks had the
perfect opportunity to talk about me behind my back; I can only hope you
took advantage of it.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:47:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposals 3089 through 3099

  Proposal 3089 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:42 EDT
  Infinite Schminfinite
  ThinMan (John Bollinger)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:42 EDT

{{[
Rule-mandated infinite loops worry me. The following rule does not cover
all possible such loops, but does address itself to most of those which are
likely to be created by mistake or mistake-like scam.
]}}

Create a new rule, numbered 110, titled "Infinite Schminfinite", with the
following THERECANBEONLYONE-delimited text:

THERECANBEONLYONE
If the rules are modified so as to specify that an action occurs without
specifying at what time or under what circumstances that action occurs,
then the action occurs exactly once, an ininitessimal time after the rules
are so modified.
THERECANBEONLYONE
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3090 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:43 EDT
  Infinite Schminfinite II
  ThinMan (John Bollinger)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:43 EDT

Create a new rule, numbered 5000, entitled "patch.Acka.0001742", with the
following text:
"
If Alfvaen has more than 1000 points then the following occurs:
1) his score is set to the magic number,
2) he achieves a winning condition,
3) The Gingham Wearer's score is set to zero.

This rule repeals itself five minutes after it is enacted.
"

ThinMan
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3091 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:44 EDT
  This is a boring title
  The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:44 EDT

This is a modest proposal.

Append the following text to the end of the first paragraph rule 1140:

"No player may receive the chocolate frog in two consecutive months."

Replace the second paragraph of rule 901 [The first Magic Potato will be
given out on the first Monday following the accepting of this Proposal into
law. ] with the following text:

"No player may receive the magic potato in two consecutive weeks."

Add the following text to rule 836 after the second paragraph:

"No player may have the great raft or great oars transferred to them in 2
consecutive fortnights. No player may be selected to have the great raft or
great oars transferred to them if they currently have the other (i.e. they
can't get the oars if they have the raft and vice versa)."
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3092 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:45 EDT
  No-lix
  The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:45 EDT

This is a modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 207.5 (Prolix Propositions).
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3093 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:46 EDT
  What about other sorts of bias?
  saaremaa (Randy Hall)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:46 EDT

This is a Modest proposal.

[this rule has been broken many times because of inappropriate scope of the
last sentence. Also, there are many minor inconsistencies to fix.]

- -----------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 253, "Mentors", as follows:

- ---

I. Replace:

"
A mentor must always provide information without political or religious
bias.
"

with:

"
A Mentor shall provide information to the new player without bias while
performing the above duties.
"

- ---

II. Replace the first occurrance of the article 'a' in sections 2) and 3)
with the article 'the'. ['a player' is wrong; 'the player' is better and
consistent, 'eir protege(e)' is correct, but 'the player' is good enough
for now.]

- ---

III. Replace 'mentor' with 'Mentor" wherever it appears. [capitalization
should be consistent within the same rule.]

- ---

IV. Replace all gender-specific pronouns with their appropriate
gender-neutral (Spivak) forms. [regardless of how we feel about this (and
it used to be a holy war), we should at least be consistent within the same
rule]
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3094 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:47 EDT
  Hmmm
  saaremaa (Randy Hall)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:47 EDT

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend rule 410, "Scorekeeper", to replace "winning a cycle" with "achieving
a Winning Condition"
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3095 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:48 EDT
  Fasttrack Literature changes
  saaremaa (Randy Hall)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:48 EDT

This is a Modest proposal.

[gist: allow anyone to modify the literature list, allow CSRs to work on
all documents, reuse the CSR mechanism for the postal code]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 210, "Literature", to remove:

"
The Literature list may only be altered through the use of Proposals or the
Spelling Bee.
"

then add the following text as a new section following section IV:

"
V. Any player may issue a CSR that consists solely of modifications to the
Literature list. Otherwise, the Literature list may only be modified by
Proposals and by the Spelling Bee.
"

- ---

Amend rule 421.2, "Common Sense Reports", to replace

"
list of suggested changes to the Rules
"

with:

"
list of suggested changes to the Rules or other document
"

- ---

Amend rule 422, "Postmaster", to replace:

"
The Postal Code is a document which may be changed by the Postmaster by
publicly posting the desired changes; if fewer than 2 players publicly
disagree with the change within 3 days, it is applied to the Postal Code;
otherwise, the change is ignored.
"

with

"
It is a privilege of the Postmaster to issue CSRs that consist solely of
modifications to the Postal Code.
"
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3096 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:49 EDT
  Dusting the Laboratory
  saaremaa (Randy Hall)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:49 EDT

This is a Modest proposal.

- -----------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 594.18, "Blueprint: Butler", to replace

"Processing Chip" with "Swingpoint".

- ---

Destroy all Oscars.

- ---

Repeal rule 594.13, "Blueprint: Oscar"

[this manipulates contracts, which do not seem to exist]

- ---

[how did this escape the cutting room floor :-)]

Amend rule 841, "Towers", to remove:

"
7) Any tower in the Gaol's evidence room is twisted into a pretzel-shaped
blob, and will not exceed the height of the Gaol. Towers may not manipulate
protected entities or perform protected actions except where specified by
the rules. Towers may only be destroyed as specified in the rules.
"

then renumber sections 8 and 9 to 7 and 8, respectively.

- ---

Amend rule 1004, "Societies", to replace "Organization Powers" with
"Organizational Powers".

- ---

Amend rule 1240.1, "Definition of Otzma Cards", to remove the string "any
Institution," from section III, subsection 2.
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3097 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:50 EDT
  Banzai!
  Slakko (Duncan Richer)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:50 EDT

This is a Modest Proposal.

[A real Kamikaze stunt: it costs you the piece, but eliminates any piece
"weaker" than a Kamikaze that you want eliminated. It's a great way to kill
off Checks which rely on a Cantor - material weights are 6 for Z versus 5
for %.]

Amend Rule 1230.16 by appending the following CRASH-delimited text:

CRASH
5. The Kamikaze has a Special Move, which consists of moving to any square
on the board currently occupied by a piece of positive Material weight
lower than that of the Kamikaze, moving over unoccupied squares in the
path. The Kamikaze is destroyed after this Special Move has occurred.
CRASH
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3098 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:51 EDT
  Win, When?
  Slakko (Duncan Richer)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:51 EDT

This is a Modest Proposal.

[Rule 603 never says when a player actually achieves the relevant Winning
Condition. This amendment should make the timing obvious. Thanks to those
who pointed out the unintentional flaw in the rewording.]

Amend Rule 603 by replacing the following UNCLEAR-delimited text:

UNCLEAR
If a voting player has a number of points equal to or greater than the
Magic Number, and that player is the first one to have done so in the
current Cycle, then that player has achieved a Winning Condition.
UNCLEAR

with the following CRYSTAL-delimited text:

CRYSTAL
A player achieves a Winning Condition at the instant their number of points
first reaches or exceeds the Magic Number in any given Cycle, provided that
no one else has previously had a score reach or exceed the Magic Number
during that cycle.
CRYSTAL
___________________________________________________________________________

  Proposal 3099 - Tue 19 May 1998 20:52 EDT
  Wibble
  The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
  Due: Tue 26 May 1998 20:52 EDT

Wibble.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:14:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: NAP swinger election

> Nobody responded to this. I'm not 100% sure what happens now, looking at
rule
> 1040 I couldn't see anything saying that NAP swinger was an optional office
> but it could be.

I've checked through the rules for this and discovered that the nomination
period now continues until an eligible candidate steps forward. So if you
want to play party chess and you aren't of any political affiliation then get
in touch!

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:34:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: one more thing

If you really need to reference the rules before the web server comes up,
I've placed a copy of the gzipped file at this URL:

http://www.drizzle.com/~blr/allrules.txt.gz

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 07:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Swingpoint Awards

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > I. Swinger Weight Awards
> > 
> > 8: Koxvolio
7: Koxvolio
> > 7: Slakko
> > 6: Mr. Tambourine Man
6: Mr. Tambourine Man
> > 5: J. M. Bear
5: J. M. Bear
5: Slakko
> > 4: /dev/joe
3: /dev/joe

All fixed.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 07:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valid holidays?

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Do we now have a valid holiday til Saturday or don't we?
> 
> What? Tell me you people didn't try to declare a holiday!
> 
> When I requested that we take it easy, what I meant was that we just go
> with things, and not try to upset the usual flow of events. Avoid
> threadsplits, yes, but also avoid upsetting the regular schedules. I guess
> I should have been more explicit.
> 
> I am especially not prepared to deal with proposals that have a voting
> period of anything other than seven days at the moment, and I don't have
> the free time to make that start working now without a fair bit of
> trouble. (If other people desperately need schedule extensions, well then
> I guess that's another matter, but let the need be real, please.) 

Unfortunately, I declared the holiday yesterday.  I thought that giving
you 3 more days to get everything up and working was a _good_ idea.  I
didn't know nomicbot had an inbuilt 7 day checker to avoid late votes
being counted - I hadn't really bothered to go through the details.

Anyway, the email I sent went to everyone else on the list, but not to me.
It kept a copy in my sentmail folder, but that is not actually on the
machine which holds my mail.  So, technically, I think the holiday might
not have been called.  We can treat it as not having occurred, because
there will never be any proof of the message having arrived in my inboxes
at hermes (the message was never sent to me at hermes, the mailserver).

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:03:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Witchhunt Results

I have apparently been burned at the stake for saying nothing.  That's
right, nothing.  I called a Color (or Colour) Witchhunt on myself for
saying 

>
>
>

and claiming this implied that black was not a color.

The results of the Hearing were 15-1 in favour of "BURN THE WITCH!", with
one invalid vote received.  This is the biggest verdict in the history of
Witchhunts.

So watch out all other players - if your message contains 3 or more blank
lines, you must have committed the same Heresy I did.

I have been burnt as a witch, but I am unrepentant:

So there!

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:30:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador

The nomination period for Ambassador is over and there was exactly one
nominee. Me! The upshot of all this is of course that I am now full time
Ambassador instead of just acting Ambassador. I also note that this happened
regardless of whether Slakko succeeded in calling a holiday since the
nomination period ended about an hour before Slakko tried calling the
holiday.

Mr. Tambourine Man, Count Tabula and now Ambassador.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:45:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

I'm sure that this one didn't go out to nearly everyone in Ackanomic:

rufus found the Magic Potato on Monday.

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Song In My Head--The Pursuit of Happiness:Shave Your Legs
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
I shot the preppy, but I did not shoot the debutante.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:09:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Important Actions

(Note, I tried to send this yesterday and it bounced due to the mail outtage,
so I'm going to resend it now)

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>So far so good, but if you had looked just a little harder then you would
>have discovered that after I reminded rufus of the fact that trinket
>creations and proposal retractions don't succeed on acka-research e then
>posted this:

[ more cut ]

Ack.  Okay.. I guess the "D'oh!' was really created.  If that's the case,
I believe that Ayla's Doh! couldn't have been created legally, and thus
she should have it's price refunded to her.  Either that or we have two
trinkets with the same name (I believe it's still within the 2 week limit
for fixing illegal actions).

Unless I here arguments to the contrary, I'm going to harf it as above
and swear that I will be more diligent in the future.  (no, I'm not sure
how rufus's trinket got misplaced, but it's been recreated now).

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:12:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valid holidays?

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
>Proposals 3089 thru 3099 are due Tuesday (today), around 10:30 PM EDT. 
>I'll send out a copy of them in case some of you haven't gotten around to
>voting on them yet. (And in case we aren't in a holiday, I guess.) Nothing
>is due Wednesday, and if we don't have web service going by Thursday,
>which I consider VERY unlikely, I'll set up the proposals page on an
>alternate website. Nomicbot is as healthy as ever, of course, and is
>waiting to accept your votes and whatnot. Anyone who's become dependent on
>the web interface and has forgotten how to use nomicbot directly, just ask
>for instructions and they'll be sent. 

There were some proposals who's voting period ended on Monday who's
results I never saw.  I think that's the only thing that was possibly
missed.

(If I'm the only one who missed the results on those proposals, please let
me know what the results were)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:37:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valid holidays?

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> > > Do we now have a valid holiday til Saturday or don't we?
> > 
> > What? Tell me you people didn't try to declare a holiday!
> > 
> > When I requested that we take it easy, what I meant was that we just go
> > with things, and not try to upset the usual flow of events. Avoid
> > threadsplits, yes, but also avoid upsetting the regular schedules. I guess
> > I should have been more explicit.
> > 
> > I am especially not prepared to deal with proposals that have a voting
> > period of anything other than seven days at the moment, and I don't have
> > the free time to make that start working now without a fair bit of
> > trouble. (If other people desperately need schedule extensions, well then
> > I guess that's another matter, but let the need be real, please.) 
> 
> Unfortunately, I declared the holiday yesterday.  I thought that giving
> you 3 more days to get everything up and working was a _good_ idea.  I
> didn't know nomicbot had an inbuilt 7 day checker to avoid late votes
> being counted - I hadn't really bothered to go through the details.
> 
> Anyway, the email I sent went to everyone else on the list, but not to me.
> It kept a copy in my sentmail folder, but that is not actually on the
> machine which holds my mail.  So, technically, I think the holiday might
> not have been called.  We can treat it as not having occurred, because
> there will never be any proof of the message having arrived in my inboxes
> at hermes (the message was never sent to me at hermes, the mailserver).

I also get the impression that Pandora didn't make it into that list of
breadbox's, and presumably didn't get the email about a Holiday.  I was
the one who first suggested we have a holiday, so I guess I'm partly to
blame for this.  But then again, I also suggested we communicate via
telepathy, so i don't know why anyone paid attention to me in the first
place. :)

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
> Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 16:41:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stock Market

I suggest that the D-setting be set to 0.5.  I suggest that the N-setting
be set to 0.5.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:26:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Query (holiday type one)

Can somebody just verify for me that we aren't in fact in an official holiday
at the moment? I'm pretty certain that's the case but it never hurts to
double check. The reason that I ask is that the week that people have to vote
on how Acka votes on INPs is now over (or pretty much so anyhow) and I need
to know whether to post our votes to the internomic list. I can't really see
it making any difference, hardly anyone votes on these things and then only
in the first day or two (would anyone object to me changing the amount of
time you have to vote from a week to three days?), but I just thought I
probably ought to check. That is all.

Mr. Tambourine Man, Ambassador.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stock Market

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

> I suggest that the D-setting be set to 0.5.  I suggest that the N-setting
> be set to 0.5.
> 

I have no intention of approving these suggestions.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 19:02:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure burial

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Locations may contain Players.  Nothing allows Locations to contain
> Organisations.  

Nothing disallows it either.

> Therefore, the Organisation cannot succeed in performing
> this action.  (The nature of Locations is regulated by Rule 835 - any
> number of Players may be present.  It does not permit anything else to be
> present in a location).

Buildings?  Entities that are Somewhere Else or in the
Treasury/Museum/Library?  I'm not saying this succeeded, but I think it'll
take a closer perusal of the Rules to figure out if it did.

- -Hubert

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming 
in terror like his passengers. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 19:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query (holiday type one)

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
> Can somebody just verify for me that we aren't in fact in an official holiday
> at the moment? I'm pretty certain that's the case but it never hurts to
> double check. 

Slakko's Holiday message was sent to:

Aaron Keesler <[email-masked]>                   (Fortunato)
"Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>              (Alfvaen)
Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>                     (breadbox)
Brian Raiter <[email-masked]> (another address for breadbox?)
Crackfoo <[email-masked]>                    (former player Crackfoo)
 David Scheidt <[email-masked]>                         (rufus)
"Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>      (/dev/joe)
Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>                    (J. M. Bear)
Michael James <[email-masked]>                             (Karma)
 Gavin Doig <[email-masked]>                            (Rex Mundi)
[email-masked]                                      (an observer)
 Matt Miller <[email-masked]>                             (IdiotBoy)
[email-masked]                                     (Koxvolio)
 [email-masked]                                          (Tom Kitten)
Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>                     (Wild Card)
John Frederic McCoy <[email-masked]>                     (Vynd)
 [email-masked]                                      (ThinMan)
[email-masked]                                      (Joe Java)
 Calvin N Hobbes <[email-masked]>               (Calvin N Hobbes)
Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>                (Goldenmean)
JT Traub <[email-masked]>                            (JT)
 K 2 <[email-masked]>                                 (K 2)
Malenkai <[email-masked]>                                (saaremaa)
 [email-masked]                                  (Robert Sevin)
**Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>               (two-star)
 [email-masked]                                  (former player norpan)
"Eric \"[Censored] Slagothor\" Plumb" <[email-masked]>   ([Censored])
[email-masked]                                   (Ayla)
 [email-masked]                               (former player UglyBigNose)
"Micah \"Attila the Pun\" Smukler" <[email-masked]> (Attila the Pun)
[email-masked]                                  (observer Sunflare)
 The Gingham Wearer <[email-masked]>               (Mr. Tambourine Man)
[email-masked]                                 (no idea)
 Towsner <[email-masked]>                              (else...if)
[email-masked]                    (former player Dread Pirate Roberts)

Missing from the list is:

Astro ([email-masked])
Guy Fawkes ([email-masked])
Hoover 2300 ([email-masked])
Niccolo Flychuck ([email-masked])
Pandora ([email-masked])
Slakko ([email-masked])

Public messages are defined by R422, Postmaster, which says (in part):

A message is a public message if and only if it is distributed to all
non-vacationing Players or it is sent to any mailing list indicated as a
public forum in the Postal Code, and any actions performed in the message
obey all restrictions in the Postal Code for that list.

Guy Fawkes and Hoover 2300 are on vacation, but the other four players
I noted as missing from the recipient list of Slakko's message were
not on vacation, to the best of my knowledge, so that was not a public
message and the Holiday did not occur.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 19:40:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query (holiday type one)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
> > Can somebody just verify for me that we aren't in fact in an official holiday
> > at the moment? I'm pretty certain that's the case but it never hurts to
> > double check. 
> 
> Slakko's Holiday message was sent to: 

 <people>

> Public messages are defined by R422, Postmaster, which says (in part):
> 
> A message is a public message if and only if it is distributed to all
> non-vacationing Players or it is sent to any mailing list indicated as a
> public forum in the Postal Code, and any actions performed in the message
> obey all restrictions in the Postal Code for that list.
> 
> Guy Fawkes and Hoover 2300 are on vacation, but the other four players
> I noted as missing from the recipient list of Slakko's message were
> not on vacation, to the best of my knowledge, so that was not a public
> message and the Holiday did not occur.
 
 Ah, but it could have been BCCed to them...

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:16:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valid holidays?

> There were some proposals who's voting period ended on Monday who's
> results I never saw.  I think that's the only thing that was possibly
> missed.

I haven't released them yet. I will tabulate and release them within
the required time.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Fortnightly Dividends, May 25 1998

Here were the score changes over the Fortnight prior to this Monday

breadbox: 93
Slakko: 85
Mr. Tambourine Man: 82
/dev/joe: 64
Hubert: 60
JT: 58
else...if: 56
K 2: 52
Niccolo Flychuck: 52
Ayla: 45
IdiotBoy: 34
Koxvolio: 33
ThinMan: 31
Vynd: 31
saaremaa: 30
Pandora: 26
Rex Mundi: 23
J. M. Bear: 22
Alfvaen: 19
Attila the Pun: 19
Astro: 16
rufus: 11
Wild Card: 7
Joe Java: -15

So the Fortnightly Dividends are all the same as those except that Joe
Java only loses 8 A$.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Bruce Hornsby & The Range:A Night On The Town
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
Alas!  The madonna does not function.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:25:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 599 (TRUE)

> Judge's Reasoning:
> The court finds that if, indeed, the listing of reincarnations above
> were accurate, Robert Sevin would not be the Third Cat.  However,
> it seems that, in compiling said list, the submitter of this CFJ
> has considered accepted proposals only, and the Third Cat rule makes
> no reference to the acceptance status of a proposal.

I hereby give another A$1 to Mr. Tambourine Man for eir Twit fund.  (If
the Organization never gets formed, I expect these all back, you
realize...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Bruce Hornsby & The Range:A Night On The Town
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic particles.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Herald Hearing

The time for votes in the hearing about Ackanomic's coat of arms has
passed.

The votes were as follows
"The flower of knighthood would be proud to be caparisoned thusly":
JT
JT's EBS
Alfvaen
ThinMan
ThinMan's EBS
Mr. Tamborine Man,
Wild Card
Wild Card's EBS
Slakko
Slakko's EBS
J.M. Bear

"I'd rather see 'Or, a gorges purpure'":
breadbox
K2
Hubert

Thus with a resounding majority of 11-3, the Ackanomic coat of arms is
  Per pale sable and barry wavy tenne and purpure, a scale of justice
  between a frog and a life-glider, all or.

- --JT, Herald.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:38:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bacon challenge

> I am hereby announcing the start of a game of bacon between Alfvaen and
Ayla.
> Round one starts now. Please name your actrons.

I name Helen Hunt.

Shouldn't we move to Acka-games before people throw us out?

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Sleeping: All cats must sleep with people whenever possible, in
a position as uncomfortable for the people involved as is possible for the
cat.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:38:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: So... are we still alive?

Assuming that everything is back to normal (if I can say 'normal' when
referring to Acka), and there's no holiday going on, I'm sending my
previous messages again, since they were returned to me. If for some reason
they are duplicated... well, you guys know me. If had my Doh! here, it
would have prevented me from doing things like this!...

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Sleeping: All cats must sleep with people whenever possible, in
a position as uncomfortable for the people involved as is possible for the
cat.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Whamiol auction

> > This is completed. I am now starting an auction for it with a minimum
bid of
> > A$20 for which I am chief cheese.
> > 
> > MTM, inventor.
> > 
> 
> I bid A$35 on the Whamiol.

I bid A$50 on the Whamiol.

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Sleeping: All cats must sleep with people whenever possible, in
a position as uncomfortable for the people involved as is possible for the
cat.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query (holiday type one)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query (holiday type one)

> Missing from the list is:
> 
> Astro ([email-masked])
> Guy Fawkes ([email-masked])
> Hoover 2300 ([email-masked])
> Niccolo Flychuck ([email-masked])
> Pandora ([email-masked])
> Slakko ([email-masked])
> 
> Guy Fawkes and Hoover 2300 are on vacation, but the other four players
> I noted as missing from the recipient list of Slakko's message were
> not on vacation [...]

Right. The missing people are those who are subscribed to
ackanomic-digest. I didn't send them the notice since I figured that
the interruption of service wouldn't be long enough to disturb them.

breadbox

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #172
*******************************