Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #164
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Thursday, May 21 1998        Volume 03 : Number 164

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Heraldry

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>Well, it could be "a saltire nowy surmounted of a hurt"(that's a roundel
>Azure in case anyone was wondering)..."a roundel of the field" might be
>clearer.

I think a saltire nowy (or even in this case a saltire) surmounted by a
roundel of the field would be clearest (no need for the saltire nowy if we
are just covering it with a roundel anyway).  We'd also need to surmount
that by a annullet or to get the effect he wanted.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Heraldry

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
>One minor point - I believe the above should be "a saltire beneath a
>circle voided and fimbriated encircling a question mark or".
>
>As for your question, though - not sure. Perhaps "a saltire surmounted
>by a roundel voided and charged with a question mark or"? Except of
>course that seems to imply that you can see the center of the saltire
>behind the question mark.

*nod* So did mine which is why I didn't like it.  Alfvaen seemed to have
the right idea on the other hand though, and I think from there we can get
to where AtP wants to go.

>>> In the left segment there is a silver eighth-note; in the right
>>> segment a silver pi symbol.  In the bottom segment is a juggling
>>> club; it has a white handle with a black tip, and its head is
>>> divided into three horizontal bands, the first one gold, the
>>> second white, and the last gold.
>> 
>> In dexter, an eighth-note argent, in sinister a greek letter pi argent,
>> in base a juggling club argent tipped sable banded or, argent and or
>
>And likewise - "in dexter an eighth-note and in sinister a Greek
>letter pi argent, in base a juggling club of the third tipped sable
>banded of the second, third, second".

They are equivalent.  Yours is a bit less verbose is all :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:12:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Heraldry

> They are equivalent.  Yours is a bit less verbose is all :)

I only mention it because my reference book states that it is the
moral equivalent of a syntax error to repeat the name of a tincture.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:37:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Heraldry

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

>> They are equivalent.  Yours is a bit less verbose is all :)
>
>I only mention it because my reference book states that it is the
>moral equivalent of a syntax error to repeat the name of a tincture.

Hrmm.. Not according to some of the references I have, but I can see that
point of view.   I don't believe that is held in current heraldry, but I
could be wrong, as I am after all only human :)

Which book out of curiousity?  I'll freely admit that I haven't read every
page of Fox-Davies yet :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 01:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spelling Bee

> Rule 950, "Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite":
> "Privileges" -> "Privileges"

*cough* I don't think this is a valid stinging (but since it would
have no effect if it was, the point is moot).

Anyway, lest this become an issue....

The Spelling Bee is flying!

In Rule 950 "Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite" replace "Priveleges"
with "Privileges".

[And, to make it worth the trip:]

In Rule 313 "Proposal Bribery" under section IV relabel the second
occurrence of subsection C to E.

In Rule 315 "Tammany" capitalize the word "each" at the beginning of
the third-to-last paragraph.

In Rule 402 "Offices, Related Definitions" under section (ii), add the
label "(e)" to the paragraph immediately following the paragraph
labeled (d).

In Rule 405 "Speaker" relabel section (viii) to (ix), and then relabel
the second occurrence of section (vii) to (viii).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 01:49:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Heraldry

After a bit of thought and some help from Alfvaen and breadbox (which
honestly *IS* appreciated), I believe the following describes the arms
that Atilla the Pun was looking for.

I believe that his description of the barbarian as a Hun is sufficient for
the blazon to be correct as 'A hun' (given that A saracen, and a A Moor as
well as A Negroe were considered sufficient in heraldry of other coats.

Therefore, I would blazon the requested coat as 

Azure, a saltire or beneath a rondel of the field fimbriated of the second
charged with question mark also of the second, in dexter an eight-note and
in sinister a Greek letter Pi argent, in chief a Hun proper erect and
confused, and in base a juggling club of the third tipped sable and banded
of the second, third and second.

I'm not wholly satisfied with it, and I'm fairly sure 'confused' has never
been seen in heraldry before but I'm willing to be slightly lenient
(having read through some of the stranger arms depicted in Fox-Davies this
evening)

I do btw agree with breadbox that while in common practice, quite a few
heralds will blazon things with repetition of color, it's not often found
in the references I have *except* for the SCA heraldry refs.  Therefore,
unless it's required, I will most likely refrain from the practice as
well.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 03:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Distributing some forehead and telling everybody that H*bert has won the auction for the BWG laser with a top bid of A$155 if I could put any more information in this subject line I would.

On foot the Treasury I do attain
And place into that fateful stead
The fee to cloth a naked brain,
receive from there, eleven raw forehead

The first, it glows in truly thoughtful light
upon its brow, in hand so smooth and soft
and lettering that’s far too small to sight
reside the words "I love you", rolling off

The next unworn shall take a from that be
both green and square; While worn both red and round.
Then three will be a block of Cadbury;
a luxury for only seven pound.

While searching for the fourth head plate
I interject the laser’s auction ends
 to H*bert is the laser sent by fate
supposing that the moneys owed e sends

To head off any questions you will ask
the fourth will be as tall as five and six
having a longer, wider, thicker, mask.
and from its girth shall hang a sign of six

five looks to ‘ve been made by a weaver
six shows a blueprint, of most clever plan
growing in clover, set with a clever
formerly owned by the clavicle clan

Seven is violet pink murrey and grief.
Eight is described: "gum flavoured and tasty"
Next Nine is a score, that’s woefully brief
Ten’s greatly like a bloody big pasty

Eleven is always ‘tween four and two
foot removed from the round earthy loam
Finally the last is described. I’m thru
Not all that much to do before I roam

From the second onwards of the above
I offer as gift, to the entities:
ThinMan, saaremaa, Alfvaen with love
to Hubert and rufus if they please

The Gingham Wearer Vynd ‘n breadbox
and IdiotBoy receives one of course
A sentence that ends with a word like pox
A sentence that ends with a word like source

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 04:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Distributing some forehead and telling everybody that H*bert has won the auction for the BWG laser with a top bid of A$155 if I could put any more information in this subject line I would.

On foot the Treasury I do attain
And place into that fateful stead
The fee to cloth a naked brain,
receive from there, eleven raw forehead

The first, it glows in truly thoughtful light
upon its brow, in hand so smooth and soft
and lettering that’s far too small to sight
reside the words "I love you", rolling off

The next unworn shall take a from that be
both green and square; While worn both red and round.
Then three will be a block of Cadbury;
a luxury for only seven pound.

While searching for the fourth head plate
I interject the laser’s auction ends
 to H*bert is the laser sent by fate
supposing that the moneys owed e sends

To head off any questions you will ask
the fourth will be as tall as five and six
having a longer, wider, thicker, mask.
and from its girth shall hang a sign of six

five looks to ‘ve been made by a weaver
six shows a blueprint, of most clever plan
growing in clover, set with a clever
formerly owned by the clavicle clan

Seven is violet pink murrey and grief.
Eight is described: "gum flavoured and tasty"
Next Nine is a score, that’s woefully brief
Ten’s greatly like a bloody big pasty

Eleven is always ‘tween four and two
foot removed from the round earthy loam
Finally the last is described. I’m thru
Not all that much to do before I roam

>From the second onwards of the above
I offer as gift, to the entities:
ThinMan, saaremaa, Alfvaen with love
to Hubert and rufus if they please

The Gingham Wearer Vynd ‘n breadbox
and IdiotBoy receives one of course
A sentence that ends with a word like pox
A sentence that ends with a word like source

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 04:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Church of Odo on the Worm Hole - we are a Church again

On May 12 it was suggested the the CUlt of Odo on the Worm Hole convert
itself to a Church. Three out of four members approved, and 7 days have
passed, so it happens.

As Founder I suggest that the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole perform the
following actions:
1. Destroy the Han Solo, the Rene, the Earth, the nada, and the Demoncracy
for A$
2. Accept H*bert as a member of the Church as soon as he conesents.
3. Apologize to H*bert for not responding ina timely manner to eir
petitions to join the Church

As Founder I approve of all of those suggestions, and all of those things
happen.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:55:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gmphblll

Today is Thursday, the 21st of May, the third Thursday in the month, and I
am chewing the Gumball.  Today it tastes of a particular carbonated
beverage, which was once the official beverage of Ackanomic, but is no
longer.  In a freak accident of time, the Gumball was exposed to a
timeloop which caused it to take on this flavour.  Not that I'm
complaining.  

Oh, and by the way, the wrapper this week has written on it "Hey Kids!
Free Scam with Every 20 Wrappers you send in!"  Unfortunately the address
is illegible.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: aCka: acKa: ackA: ACka: AcKa: AckA: aCKa: aCkA: acKA: ACKa: ACkA: aCKA: ACKA:

I'm going to start constructing a Gravitational Monopole. Will be
complete in 3 days

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Distributing some forehead, etc.

> To head off any questions you will ask
> the fourth will be as tall as five and six
> having a longer, wider, thicker, mask.
> and from its girth shall hang a sign of six

> >From the second onwards of the above
> I offer as gift, to the entities:
> ThinMan, saaremaa, Alfvaen with love
> to Hubert and rufus if they please

I accept the forehead offered to me, which I
believe is the fourth one, listed above.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Left Me A Fool
Current Book--Vivian Vande Velde:The Changeling Prince
Who's been sleeping in my porridge?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:53:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Observer List Unsubscribe Request

> I'm still Registrar, and you are being unsubscribed as I type.  It is a
> great time-waster, isn't it?  :-)  Hope to hear from you again...

The Greatest Time-Waster of Them All....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:53:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Important actions

> >I offer the Spellbook, which I believe is in my hands right now, to the
> >Order of the Razor Boomerangs. I'd rather read it later, after I've been
> >burnt as the evil witch I seem to be...
> 
> I suggest that the Order of Razor Boomerangs accept the spellbook from
> Ayla.  I also approve of this suggestion.  (Hubert, Ayla, Joe Java
> you still need to approve this)

I approve of this...

- -- JJ

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
         Home of Eleusis Nomic -- Join Today!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Important actions

> > >I offer the Spellbook, which I believe is in my hands right now, to the
> > >Order of the Razor Boomerangs. I'd rather read it later, after I've been
> > >burnt as the evil witch I seem to be...

> > I suggest that the Order of Razor Boomerangs accept the spellbook from
> > Ayla.  I also approve of this suggestion.  (Hubert, Ayla, Joe Java
> > you still need to approve this)

> I approve of this...

If the transfer hasn't occurred already, then it's too late because Ayla's
been burnt...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Joe Jackson:Acropolis Now
Current Book--Vivian Vande Velde:The Changeling Prince
This is the waterfall you will stand beneath, drinking.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:12:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Important actions

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> I approve of this...
>
>If the transfer hasn't occurred already, then it's too late because Ayla's
>been burnt...

Fortunately our founder approved and thus it did in fact occur.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:18:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

>Rule 340 (God I love that rule :-) states:
>
>"The following conventions apply to all Ackanomic text, except where a
>specific type of text (e.g. rules), is specified."

That didn't used to be in the rules!  You keep changing the rules on me!
It's not fair!  Now I have lost face because of it, and I want it back!

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:21:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Vacation

Attempting to utilize the Crazy French-Samurai rule?  :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked]
>[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, May 21, 1998 9:19 AM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: Vacation
>
>
>That didn't used to be in the rules!  You keep changing the rules on me!
>It's not fair!  Now I have lost face because of it, and I want it back!
>
>
>ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:22:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

On Thu, 21 May 1998, John Bollinger wrote:
>>Rule 340 (God I love that rule :-) states:
>>
>>"The following conventions apply to all Ackanomic text, except where a
>>specific type of text (e.g. rules), is specified."
>
>That didn't used to be in the rules!  You keep changing the rules on me!
>It's not fair!  Now I have lost face because of it, and I want it back!
>

I create a trinket valued at A$1 named 'face' with the description 'Once
it was lost, but now it has been retrieved'.  I then gift this trinket to
ThinMan

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:44:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Distributing some forehead and telling everybody that H*bert has won the auction for the BWG laser with a top bid of A$155 if I could put any more information in this subject line I would.

K 2 wrote:

>From the second onwards of the above
I offer as gift, to the entities:
ThinMan, saaremaa, Alfvaen with love
to Hubert and rufus if they please

I accept K 2's kind offer.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:53:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

JT wrote:
[I wrote:]
>>That didn't used to be in the rules!  You keep changing the rules on me!
>>It's not fair!  Now I have lost face because of it, and I want it back!
>
>I create a trinket valued at A$1 named 'face' with the description 'Once
>it was lost, but now it has been retrieved'.  I then gift this trinket to
>ThinMan

I thank you, JTsan.  Because of your gift I shall save face perpetually.
You have honored yourself and your clan.

ThinMan
:-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:59:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Stefanski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Leaving

	I, Illusion, would like to announce that I am leaving the game.  I
don't currently have enough time, and have been distracted recently.

	I hope to come back at a later time.

 *---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
   Andrew Stefanski                                            Motorola LMPS 
              UNRECOVERABLE USER ERROR - Terminating Current User

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:26:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfilation

>=20
> >From the second onwards of the above
> I offer as gift, to the entities:
> ThinMan, saaremaa, Alfvaen with love
> to Hubert and rufus if they please
>=20
> The Gingham Wearer Vynd =91n breadbox
> and IdiotBoy receives one of course
> A sentence that ends with a word like pox
> A sentence that ends with a word like source
>=20
> K 2
>=20

I accept this offer.  And what the heck, I declare that K 2 is Funky and
Stylish, the first player to ever be so honored!  Praise him with great
praise!

                            - Harfmeister Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:35:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> >  I create a trinket named "Hubert's nonexistant EBS".  This has a
> > description of "Looks just like a real EBS, but invisible" and a value of
> > A$13.  I give this to Hubert.
> 
> Unfortunately, as a Forgery, this Trinket is transferred to Hubert.  Um.
> So your evil plan is foiled!
> 

 Really?

 So what /was/ my evil plan???

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, Trinity Lane, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html | [email-masked]
"The last human being on the Earth sat alone in a room.  There was a knock
on the door..."                                      -Shortest SF story...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexandre Owen Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  I create a trinket named "Hubert's nonexistant EBS".  This has a
> description of "Looks just like a real EBS, but invisible" and a value of
> A$13.  I give this to Hubert.
> 

This trinket is too small.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:54:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Alexandre Owen Muniz wrote:

> Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> 
> >  I create a trinket named "Hubert's nonexistant EBS".  This has a
> > description of "Looks just like a real EBS, but invisible" and a value of
> > A$13.  I give this to Hubert.
> > 
> 
> This trinket is too small.
> 
 For?

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:56:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Earth.

  If treasure 137 is still buried then I create a trinket worth 100 A$
named Earth and with a description.  "A full size representation of the
Earth.  As events change the Earth this trinket changes also..."

  I have at least one gadget, and want to possess, love, hug, and call the
silver key george.

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:03:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 23

Volume 1, Issue 23
May 21, 1998
This issue's slogan:
"Frequently Infrequent and Self-Tangled While We're At It."
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Apologies and Retractions.
3. Poll Question #8
4. More Ackanomic News
5. The Way We Were
6. Sub-Game Summary
7. Advertisement		
	 	 
Editorial

The Anti-Voting Mess (& Warm Fuzzies)
During the last week, another anti-voting abolition proposal went down in
a ball of flames. There seems to be a reasonably large consensus in favour
of anti-voting. So why is it so popular when its proponents are so
reviled?

Anti-voting has been with us for quite a long while. It is a Nomic
tradition which seems to be, in many games, inextricable from the basic
principle of earning points as a way to a win. (Perhaps this is part of
the reason why some anti-voting abolition proponents are also outright
points abolitionists.) 

As things stand in Acka, there are ways to minimise the impact of
anti-voting on one's own proposals, but they are not free. To reduce the
anti-voting benefit to 1 point, you must of course declare your proposal
Modest, halving your own potential point gain.

Anti-voting increases the likelihood of proposals coming close to the
acceptance / rejection edge, thereby turning possibly boring contests into
interesting questions. The Prisoner's Dilemma it puts us all in creates
some level of tension in the minds of Proposers, which may lead to better
proposals.

The two most recent attempts to eliminate anti-voting took very different
forms. JT's most recent effort was a simple removal of the anti-voting
points, without any substitute. While this may well be a reasonable tack
to take, it neglects the fact that, at times, anti-voting points provide
the great majority of points accumulated in Ackanomic. The last
statistical survey that was taken, over 20 proposals, found that
approximately 75% of points from those proposals were the result of
anti-voting. Could you see 75% of all moneys entering Ackan pockets in
Fortnightly Dividends disappear? I wouldn't want to.

The other tack was taken by saaremaa, as part of an overall vote overhaul
package. Unfortunately, this proposal contained a number of flaws which
rendered its debating points moot. Firstly, its timing was unfortunate,
being less than a fortnight after the successful introduction of BAA!
points on proposals. Two changes to the proposal scoring system, one
cancelling the other, in such a short time would seem excessive.

Secondly, it would have reversed the effects of other proposals in the
queue (or just out of the queue) at the time it was submitted. Notably, if
it had passed, the Ackan Reserve would have lost its newly gained ability
to manipulate the rise and fall rates of the Positivity Index which they
fought so hard for.

Thirdly, the recent introduction of automation into Nomicbot meant that
the vote-handling capacities of the system would be dramatically reduced
if the change to saaremaa's proposed "Fuzzy Voting" system were to occur.
breadbox's voicing of opposition on this ground was most likely the main
reason that the proposal failed.

Perhaps at some later time some resubmission of part or all of saaremaa's
proposal would be warranted. It would need to be at a time when Nomicbot
could be easily modified to cope with integer votes and averaging to
determine success or failure. This might not be for a long while, given
that Nomicbot is a privilege, not a right, and that we are already in
breadbox's debt for resurrecting it. Fuzzy voting is an interesting
concept, but this month would not have been the time.	 	 

Letters to the Ackan are always welcome. We will publish contributors
within reason, because our aim is to provide Ackans with a comprehensive
news and opinions service. This includes opinions contradicting the paper,
so feel free to criticise editorial comments. 
If you want your opinions heard, or letters published, please send them to
[email-masked]. 

Send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above, marked
"Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.
Have another good Ackan week - banna willing we'll be back next week.

Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan 

Apologies and Retractions

The Ackan apologises for a couple of blunders which beset last week's
issue. Firstly, we apologise for making the insinuation that The Gingham
Wearer had primarily set up the Klingon party in order to obtain a Swinger
seat. While the Swinger seat was obtained, this was not the primary aim of
founding the party, according to The Gingham Wearer.

Also, last week we were taken to task for not apologising about our lack
of apologies. Our new apologist, fresh from the Ackan Insitute of Genetic
Replication, has yet again has nothing to apologise for this week. This
makes an unbelievable two issues in a row without a single retraction.
While this personal best has many sub-editors at the Ackan celebrating, it
is hoped they do not over-indulge too much.

If you think you have found an error in the Ackan, point it out! My
shotgun is getting a littl erusty, and the sub-editors are starting to
become a little complacent.

The Ackan heartily apologises for any damage or difficulties caused by the
omission of such errors and/or omissions.

Poll Question

Question Number 8 this week. There have recently been some attempts to
clear out old Harf to enable introduction of new silliness to keep Acka
fresh. The supply of Harf is limited mainly because the creation of Harf
requires compensatory Harfing to balance it. So...

Which piece of ancient Harf is the least worthy of being retained in the
Ruleset?
(a) - The Magic Potato.
(b) - Politeness Moon Hearings.
(c) - Prosthetic Foreheads.
(d) - Phoebe the Steel Flea.
(e) - Other (please write in reply)
(f) - Thou Shalt Not Touch The Harf.

Remember, your opinion does matter to us here at the Ackan (but we of
course reserve the right to ignore opinions which are obviously based on
malice and/or sheer stupidity :-)) The now standard A$10 Trinket is on
offer, to be given to one entrant randomly selected (regardless of the
response you provide, provided it is one of the six above).

It costs very little of your time to enter, and there's always the chance
of that Trinket, so please respond to the Great Infrequent Ackan Poll
Competition!

More Ackanomic News

Getting Cross

Another player has joined the brigade of grand proposers. It takes an
effort to provide enough changes to keep Acka happy, and many leave this
realm before they achieve such a task. K 2, one of the late 1997 brigade,
has stuck around long enough to achieve it, though. This has created the
first situation where three players listed consecutively on the Proposals
Page (i.e. three whose first proposals were "next" to each other) all
possess Blue Crosses (Slakko, K 2 and The Gingham Wearer).

Also this week, Niccolo Flychuck received eir first Stripe for quite a
while (over 500 proposals in fact), when e reached a Blue Cross Rank of
110. Surprisingly for someone of his time and activity in Acka, this Rank
was reached without the aid of a Blue Cross Bonus. This is despite Niccolo
having served a pair of terms as President. 

Scam, Scam, Everywhere a Scam

This week saw two scams, one clearly a failure, the other with a miniscule
but non-zero chance of success. The worse scam came second, so we will
deal with the scam with a chance first.

Alfvaen and The Gingham Wearer managed to concoct a supposedly
self-deleting amendment that wasn't, courtesy of its presence in Rule 340.
They then claimed that the non-self-deleting nature of this text led it to
have infinitely many effects on the gamestate, giving Alfvaen infinitely
many points. Fortunately there is significant game custom, dating right
back to the Magic Potato, which would interpret such instances as only
occurring once.

The second scam relied on the non-entity nature of the Dispensations List.
However, a quick reference to Rule 101 quickly indicated that Slakko's
Rule 500 claims were null and void, and hence any attempt to include extra
items on the Dispensations List unilaterally would be met with a harsh
stare, an unregulated thbbpth! and no result.

Court Report

Supreme Court judgements in the last few days have confirmed saaremaa's
successful existence, and, simultaneously, eir correct name. However, this
has pointed out a flaw in the wording of the Undead rule at that time,
which fortunately has been corrected in saaremaa's case at least.

Also out from First Round Judge K 2 this week was confirmation of the
burning of /dev/joe and Vynd when they were considering the Silver Moon
situation. This unfortunate burning led to the loss of two Spell Books of
Chorg (shame about that), and a brief dark and smoky look being in vogue
amongst members of the Senate. Governmental watchers condemned it as "one
of those passing trends" and hoped that "no-one else will go through the
whole process simply to copycat the Senators."

H*bert Makes His Mark

The Witchfinder General business is, as always, hotting up! This week
H*bert showed eir prowess as a Witchfinder by simultaneously having 7
players burnt at the stake. In a surprising move, a large number of these
were members of the Church H*bert is a member of, the Church to the Evil
Ballot Stuffer. One can only wonder what kind of rigid Church Dogma can
demand such effective purification by fire.

Financial Follies

The Stock Market reforms now appear to be complete for the time being. The
elections for the final post are temporarily underway (with a last minute
CSR fixing the situation possibly injecting a monkey wrench into the
works). Things should be back to normal in the Stock market, once
else...if applies a firm hand to the economic indicators.

The Infrequent Ackan Stock Indicator Tip for the week is: SELL SELL SELL.
Despite historically high proposal acceptance rates, the dramatic increase
in the N-rating has led to a reappraisal of the Stock Market's trend line.
With each positive vote only worth one quarter of a negative, expect a
slow but steady downward step.

The Way We Were

This time last year in Acka was a time for proposal rejection.  On the
19th of May last year, a large number of proposals had their results
distributed.  Out of 23 proposals whose results were distributed, a mere 7
passed.  Given Acka's historical acceptance rate is running at at least
57%, this was no doubt a dark day for the proposers.

Those changes which did manage to gain the grudging approval of Acka that
day included "Swing High", a minor reform of Swingpoints organised by
Niccolo Flychuck, and "How Drab a Home Otherwise", in which Alfvaen
allowed free descriptions of Houses to be posted (the prior cost being an
excessive A$2 per word).

A more notable change was P1995,
which resurrected Contracts.  After some initial scam attempts, the
original Contract rules were torn up.  Red Barn got them reintroduced in a
hopefully less harmful way.  However, due to their inability to really do
anything wonderful, the concept of Contracts has since been removed from
the ruleset again.

The final fix of the lost ZZimsy entities was also accomplished in these
proposals.  Undead had lost many of their possessions in an unfortunate
harfing catastrophe.  This included a surprising amount of Ackan land, and
houses being haunted.  The homeless ghosts were finally fixed up and
restored to their rightful places.

So that was the week that was, one year ago!

Sub Game Summary

Every week - every subgame going.  The Party Chess Report which usually
accompanies Sub Game Summary has been held over this week, due to the game
ending in the previous issue, and the start of the new game being fairly
uneventful at this stage.

Eleusis

Game 1 is still lying in the doldrums, with no player able to get a
sequence of successful plays going.  We are still unsure as to whether a
Prophet will ever emerge, given that Hubert has started looking through
his stock of hints to no avail.

Meanwhile, Ayla continues to manage Game 2 as an effective Prophet.
Unfortunately, the slow nature of these games means that little
significant progress has been made over the last couple of weeks for the
other players.

Fictionary

Round 6 has finally forced JT to submit a vote.  Yes, for once a
definition eluded em, "sourdine" not being correctly defined.  Despite
that, though, we were still left with only 8 definitions to deal with, due
to some definitional duplication.  With "" appearing, one wonders if this
was the definition duplicated, or whether two people actually submitted
sufficiently similar real definitions.

Votes are progressing, rather well spread at this stage, but not much time
is left, if any. Still, the results should prove to be most interesting
reading.

Ghost

Robert Sevin became the latest victim of Ghost recently, failing to
continue play after a first letter picked by Hubert.  The game is now
halfway completed, with 4 of the 9 players eliminated, and hence only 4
more eliminations to go.  

Ayla was the previous victim, being unable to continue after a very sneaky
start of "sr".  Obviously Ayla "misread" her play, and so control passed
on to Hubert, who only had to wait for three days in order to have Robert
Sevin eliminated.

Grab-a-Donkey

The first three rounds of Grab-a-Donkey have been a rip-roaring
donkey-grabbin' time.  Round 1 saw a massive 8 eliminations, although two
of those were voluntary resignations.  Since then the capture rate has
declined, but the amount of donkey grabbing still appears to be at an all
time high.

With the latest Grab-a-Donkey game employing a new gaming system, there is
now greater incentive to get out there and grab donkeys.  As captured
donkeys now join the captor's herd, opportunities are there to see herds
rise in size and some real robber barons develop.

Currently only Vynd and Rex Mundi are in this position, being safe from
elimination for Round 4.  Meanwhile, a much larger number of players are
still fighting to reach the safety zone, all on 1 and 2 donkeys and
therefore capable of being eliminated in a single round, should they fail
to grab someone else's donkey.

Grab your boots and saddle up!  Grab-a-Donkey looks like being a wild
ride.	 

Pure Skill

Game 1 of Pure Skill is poised delicately at this stage, with no player
able to achieve the dominance that Alfvaen showed in Game 2.  Only a few
rounds remain, so hopefully we will see the finale inside one week (two at
the worst), when it becomes known who is the most skilful.  Perhaps some
kind of tournament is in order, so that we may truly find out who is the
best at this game.

Word Un-Association 

Word Un-Association has apparently gone moribund.  Questions are being
asked as to the whereabouts of the Referee, and why no link word from
llano has yet appeared.  Stay tuned as we bring you more news on this
late-breaking crisis.

YORL

After a stunning performance in which the longest word ever to be used in
a YORL game was introduced by Attila the Pun, e promptly fell asleep.  The
current Bard should also be asleep unless a play has been made very
recently.  Sam is no doubt getting bored with all this waiting, and hoping
that soon some Bard will come along capable of progressing the story at
least a little further.
 
Duel Summary

The Spades Duel between Hubert and Goldenmean grinds on and on. We now
near the end of Round 5, but due to some idiocy from Slakko we will be
miles away from a win regardless.

New amendments have ben put into place dealing with Spades, in order to
liven it up and enable long-running games to be ended sooner.  The
introduction of Blind Nil will give losing players a double-or-nothing
chance to even the stakes, while the introduction of a 500-point mercy
rule will be handy for those games where the combatants insist on both
going backwards.

Also in progress is the first ever YORL Duel, The Gingham Wearer up
Koxvolio.  Heads of Churches trying to tell the better tale.  As it
stands, The Gingham Wearer fumbled on gem, failing to get the element into
the story properly.  Koxvolio has since taken up the story with City,
hopefully in enough detail that the Referee will accept a play for once.

Advertisements

The Ackan is still looking for more interviews. If you have yet to respond
to the Ackan call for interviews, and have held a public office in Acka
for at least one month continuously at any stage in Acka's history, then
the staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like to hear from you. Just email
us at [email-masked] with the keywords "Acka: Ackan" and say you would
like to do an interview. That's all. If you are accepted (which, let's
face it, is still pretty likely at this stage) then someone from the Ackan
will be around to contact you shortly. 
 	 	 	 	 
The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 21st May
1998.
Check us out on the web, at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 		

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #164
*******************************