Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #158
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Sunday, May 17 1998         Volume 03 : Number 158

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:05:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket & Gift

I destroy the trinket "I beat /dev/joe." for A$.

I give A$40 to IdiotBoy.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:21:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomic coat of arms

On Sun, 17 May 1998, JT wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the senate isn't an org, but an office with four
> seat, thus by posting this, the senate has in fact suggested it and there
> is no reason for the other senators to improve.

The Senate is a Unique Organization just like Party Hall.

Niccolo Flychuck

> Therefore, I (as herald) approve this suggestion as a Coat of Arms and
> 
> Now, I call for a Hearing (and am Hearing Harfer).
> 
> The valid responses are
> "The flower of Knighthood would be proud to be caparisoned thusly!"
> and
> "I'd rather see 'Or, a gorges Purpure!'"
> 
> Reply (since I set the address correctly to acka-priv :) to vote.
> 
> - --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of ackanomic digest V3 #157
> *******************************
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:22:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Scam Attempt

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Slakko wrote:
> > The list of Dispensations (as defined in Rule 1020) is not listed as an
> > entity, anywhere.
> > 
> > I add the following SCAM-delimited item to the end of the Dispensations
> > List:
> > 
> > SCAM
> > Society for the Prevention of Ackanomic Misdemeanours: Amend any Rule in
> > the Rules of Ackanomic.
> > SCAM
> 
> I don't think it even stands a chance of working.
> 
> Rule 101 states:
> 
> "The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in the rules.
> ... Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules,
> however, is permitted and unregulated."
> 
> Rule 1020 provides a way to add items to the dispensation list:
> 
> "If, 3 days after an Indulgence is published, fewer than 2 players have
> objected to the Indulgence, then the Indulgence will be added to the
> Dispensations List as a new entry."
> 
> So adding things to the dispensation list is regulated, and therefore does
> not fall under the "Whatever is not ... regulated" clause.  Therefore, 
> "The rules and game state may only be changed as described by the rules."
> prevents this.

I agree entirely with /dev/joe.  There have also been a number of CFJs on
issues like this, all supporting the concept that anything which the rules
describe a way to manipulate can only be manipulated as described in the
rules.  Entity or no.  

> 
> And just in case, if the SCAM-delimited text above can somehow be considered
> a published Indulgence, I object to it.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

It probably is a published indulgence, Slakko is the Web Harfer, after
all.  I did wonder why the Web Harfer was put in charge of this, perhaps
now I know.  In any event, I too object to the Indulgence.

                                      - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:22:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 595

I add the following reasoning to CFJ 595 with my bronze torch:

I agree with the initiator that the scam failed, but I disagree on the reason.
I believe his reasoning is faulty, and that if the item got on the
dispensation list it could be executed as was attempted.  However, I do not
believe the item made it onto the Dispensation list.

Rule 101 states:

"The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in the rules.
... Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules,
however, is permitted and unregulated."

Rule 1020 provides a way to add items to the dispensation list:

"If, 3 days after an Indulgence is published, fewer than 2 players have
objected to the Indulgence, then the Indulgence will be added to the
Dispensations List as a new entry."

So adding things to the dispensation list is regulated, and therefore does
not fall under the "Whatever is not ... regulated" clause.  Therefore, 
"The rules and game state may only be changed as described by the rules."
in Rule 101 prevents this addition to the Dispensation list from occurring.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomic coat of arms

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

>The Senate is a Unique Organization just like Party Hall.

I beg to differ, the rule for Party Hall states that it's a Unique
Organization and defines its memberships.

The Senate on the other hand is ... an office with 4 seats....
Nowhere does it state that the Senate is an organization.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomic coat of arms

On Sun, 17 May 1998, JT wrote:
>The Senate on the other hand is ... an office with 4 seats....
>Nowhere does it state that the Senate is an organization.

Ignore me.  I'm blind.. .yes it does.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:35:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomic coat of arms

I missed the fact that the senate is in fact an org and jumped the gun on
the coat of arms vote.

The hearing will happen after the org action is approved :/  Apologies in
advance to the people who already voted.

I approve of the Senate's proposal of the coat of arms for Ackanomic.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:19:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: justice

I wish to be a justice.

Malenkai
saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Map Shard

I am playing my Otzma Card Map Shard, naming Treasure 195 and The Gingham
Wearer.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract proposal 3074.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions

Inspired by the actions of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer, I
suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.

I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
a member.  I approve of this suggestion whether or not I must.  It will
happen pending JT's approval or in a week if e does not denounce it.

I apologize for wasting bandwidth with this Rangian nepotism.

- -Hubert

lim(8->9) sqrt(8) = 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

>Inspired by the actions of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer, I
>suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
>Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.

>I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
>a member.  I approve of this suggestion whether or not I must.  It will
>happen pending JT's approval or in a week if e does not denounce it.

Do the Razor Boomerangs have a More Than Human?  Just wondering.

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Current Album--The Verve:Urban Hymns
Change for the machines.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:37:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Agenda Hats

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 25. It is publicly knowable that the associated conditions of five different
> agenda hats, not including hats in the possesion of the owner of this
> hat, have become true and remained that way, having previously been
> false, while the owner of this hat has been wearing this hat.

I am making this Hat visible, and am wearing it.

If those who wish to help me win the Cycle will notify me from now on when
one of eir Hats becomes true, I'd be eternally grateful.  Perhaps even to
the tune of some Grapefruit Juice.  :-)

- -Hubert

lim(8->9) sqrt(8) = 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:39:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
>Inspired by the actions of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer, I
>suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
>Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.
>
>I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
>a member.  I approve of this suggestion whether or not I must.  It will
>happen pending JT's approval or in a week if e does not denounce it.
>
>I apologize for wasting bandwidth with this Rangian nepotism.

Um.. does Razor Boomerangs have a 'More than Human'? If so, I certainly
approve of this.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:51:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:

> 
> Inspired by the actions of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer, I
> suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
> Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.
> 
> I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
> a member.  I approve of this suggestion whether or not I must.  It will
> happen pending JT's approval or in a week if e does not denounce it.

Ignore this.  I suggest the Razor Boomerangs purchase a More than Human.
I approve of this suggestion.  I suggest I put down the bottle and the
mirror.  I denounce this suggestion.

- -Hubert, who thanks co-Heralds JT and Alfvaen for their kindly reminders

lim(8->9) sqrt(8) = 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:52:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Correction

People who have been saying that I published an Indulgence are incorrect.
If you look at the rule, it clearly states that doing so is the
Org-Harfers job.  It seems eminently appropriate that that should be the
case.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:56:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:

>Ignore this.  I suggest the Razor Boomerangs purchase a More than Human.
>I approve of this suggestion.  I suggest I put down the bottle and the
>mirror.  I denounce this suggestion.

I approve the suggestion that Razor Boomerangs purchase a More than Human,
so it occurs.

NOW we can accept the OoRB into the RB.

>-Hubert, who thanks co-Heralds JT and Alfvaen for their kindly reminders

He is *not* a co-herald :)  he just has delusions of grandeur. :)

- --JT, *THE* Herald :)

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 17 May 1998, JT wrote:

> I approve the suggestion that Razor Boomerangs purchase a More than Human,
> so it occurs.
> 
> NOW we can accept the OoRB into the RB.

OK.  To evade any possible problems with retroactivity:

I suggest the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.

I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
a member.  I don't believe I need to approve of this suggestion, but I do
so anyway.  We *will* be one with the Boomerang.

> He is *not* a co-herald :)  he just has delusions of grandeur. :)

Since you both have coats of arms now IIRC, I think the only recourse in
this matter is a Duel between the two of you.  I mean, it's practically
screamed for.  The winner gains the Office of Herald, and the loser takes
"Or, a gorges purpure" as a crest.  Whatever a gorges is.

- -Hubert

lim(8->9) sqrt(8) = 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:11:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Action

I purchase 6 wool sweaters from the Treasury for a total cost of A$60.
I then wear all 6 wool sweaters, becoming quite warm, but it's legal.
I then publically reveal the condition associated with agenda hat 7.
I then wear agenda hat 7.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:12:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
>OK.  To evade any possible problems with retroactivity:
>
>I suggest the Order of the Razor Boomerang petition to join the Razor
>Boomerangs.  This, of course, happens.
>
>I suggest the Razor Boomerangs accept the Order of the Razor Boomerang as
>a member.  I don't believe I need to approve of this suggestion, but I do
>so anyway.  We *will* be one with the Boomerang.

I approve of this suggestion.

>> He is *not* a co-herald :)  he just has delusions of grandeur. :)
>
>Since you both have coats of arms now IIRC, I think the only recourse in
>this matter is a Duel between the two of you.  I mean, it's practically
>screamed for.  The winner gains the Office of Herald, and the loser takes
>"Or, a gorges purpure" as a crest.  Whatever a gorges is.

Umm.. no :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:21:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Seats

>> 	I suggest that the P-setting be set to 0.05
>> 	I suggest that the N-setting be set to 0.2
>>
>
>Just for kicks, I approve of this suggestion.

	There are two, but I'll assume it works unless someone has a
complaint.  This means that when a proposal passes, only 1/20th of a point
is gained for every FOR vote, while when it fails 1/5th of a point is lost.
In case this isn't enough, I suggest that the A-setting be set to 0.4 (four
times its current value.)

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:31:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Agenda Hats

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:

> If those who wish to help me win the Cycle will notify me from now on when
> one of eir Hats becomes true, I'd be eternally grateful.  Perhaps even to
> the tune of some Grapefruit Juice.  :-)

That is to say, I would be happy to beat the owner of Hat 3 in a Duel,
hail the owner of Hat 8 as Emperor, and so on.  Let me know if you'd like 
my help...

- -Hubert

lim(8->9) sqrt(8) = 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:59:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 593 (J.M. Bear)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > It is also an incredibly cool CFJ. I almost can't believe that you
> > didn't plan this - it's too perfect.
> 
> What, us, plan anything?  <innocent look>  I cannot tell a lie--TGW
> emailed me a few weeks back to ask if I had any good ideas for amendments
> to Rule 340, and already had the idea about "forgetting" the final
> delimiter and putting the text giving me points already into the Rule.
> 
 I believe you will get the Goose.

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Org Action

I suggest that The Razor Boomerangs purchase an Excavation Permit.
I approve of this suggestion.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:19:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Action

I create the following trinket 'A Golden Boomerang Statue' valued at A$50
with the following description.
'The gold (24 karat) boomerang sits atop an onyx base and rotates through
some unseeable mechanism within the base.  As it rotates, the current
membership of the Razor Boomeranges scrolls across a small inset
flat-panel video display within the front of the base.'

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:20:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Scam Attempt

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > And just in case, if the SCAM-delimited text above can somehow be
> considered
> > a published Indulgence, I object to it.
> 
> Just to be on the safe side I object too.
> 
 In the event that this *doesn't* work I suggest that SPAM creates a rule
numbered with the lowest legal positive integer greater than -1 and the
following SPAM delimited text:

SPAM
 Any player who gains a trinket with the following " delimited name "but
Gnhomb is a god" shall also gain a cycle win.

 This rule takes precedence over any rule governing winning.
SPAM

 I then create a trinket valued at 1A$ with a description and name that is
identical to the text above enclosed in the last two ".

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:34:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Agenda Hats

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
> 
> > If those who wish to help me win the Cycle will notify me from now on when
> > one of eir Hats becomes true, I'd be eternally grateful.  Perhaps even to
> > the tune of some Grapefruit Juice.  :-)
> 
> That is to say, I would be happy to beat the owner of Hat 3 in a Duel,
> hail the owner of Hat 8 as Emperor, and so on.  Let me know if you'd like 
> my help...
> 
 Well, call a PHE on me then!

 (Guess which AH I've got :-)

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 21:54:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Seats

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	There are two, but I'll assume it works unless someone has a
> complaint.  This means that when a proposal passes, only 1/20th of a point
> is gained for every FOR vote, while when it fails 1/5th of a point is lost.
> In case this isn't enough, I suggest that the A-setting be set to 0.4 (four
> times its current value.)
> 

I approve of this suggestion, as well.

IB
don't make me get plural on you.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:13:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oars

Sorry for the delay on this...

K 2 found the Great Oars of Ackanomic yesterday.

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
Current Album--Goon Show Classics Vol. 6
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
When the moon is in a sloppy house, and Jupiter spells beer on Mars...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 23:57:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Once again

> This has nothing to do with your message above, but I would suggest that
> since H*bert has called a Hunt on you, you should give the Spellbook to
> the Church while the Witchhunt is going on.  Just in case. :-)

I give the Spellbook, which I believe is in my hands right now, to the
Order of the Razor Boomerangs. I'd rather read it latter, after I've been
burnt as the evil witch I seem to be...

Just to prevent me from screwing things up as I have done quite often in
the last few days, could you tell me if this is the correct way to do it?

Thanks!

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Thermodynamics: Heat flows from a warmer to a cooler body,
except in the case of a cat, when all heat flows to the cat.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #158
*******************************