Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #155
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Saturday, May 16 1998        Volume 03 : Number 155

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 00:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Award of Arms

> I would also like to announce to all and sundry that I would be more than
> happy to help in the design of a coat of arms.  You needen't feel that you
> need to give me the coat of arms already written in blazon.  I will
> happily work with you from a more 'normal' description to arrive at
> something you would be proud to bear.

And I would similarly be glad to be of service, despite my lack of
official status.  And not just because I think I'm better at blazon
than JT.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Alan Frew:Hold On
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Cry havoc!  And let slip the cows of war!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 00:55:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: To the library

> I then go down to the vault of the book.

Unfortunately, The Gingham Wearer is unable to enter, not having any of
the Keys to the Vault.  I mean, because it was less than 24 hours from
Joe Java's visit.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Alan Frew:Hold On
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
"Oh, yes, dear, it's all nice and paranormal."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Award of Arms

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>And I would similarly be glad to be of service, despite my lack of
>official status.  And not just because I think I'm better at blazon
>than JT.  :-)

With a grin on my face, I thumb my nose at alfvaen :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:08:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  Any player who's EBS votes differently to emself will gain a trinket.

What a cheapskate... offering a trinket to someone who can do the
impossible.

rufus

> 
>  H*bert.
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:
> 
> > The Earth IS Round I tell you! Black is NOT NOT NOT NOT a color!
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> 
> >  I yell "The Earth is Banna Shaped!", "The set of colours doesn't include
> > either 'Black' or 'Sable'"
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Raquel Peres da Silva wrote:
> 
> > The Earth is Round! Black is nor a colour neither a color!
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, David Scheidt wrote in a message subjected the shape 
> of the earth:
> 
> > Is of course, banna!
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> > 	Why not?  I go to the library and yell into the ASS "The Earth is
> > Round! Black is NOT a color!"
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
> 
> > "The Round is Black! A colour is NOT Earth!"
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Ian K. wrote:
> 
> > The Earth is Round! Black is NOT a colour!  
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, JT wrote:
> 
> > The Earth is Round!  Black is NOT a color!
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:15:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Non-Herald

On Fri, 15 May 1998, JT wrote:

> 
> Actually, Fox-Davies says that *neither* of them are used in british
> heraldry.  However, since we're not relying exclusively on British
> heraldry, that shouldn't pose a problem.

Why are we using any heraldry from the real world?  And why can't I have a
charteuse arms?  Last time I checked, this was a nomic and we can do
things anyway we liked.  (incidently, I ran into Peter Suber last week and
explained some of what was happening in Acka.  And he still says nomic
wiht a long O.)

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Non-Herald

On Sat, 16 May 1998, David Scheidt wrote:
>> Actually, Fox-Davies says that *neither* of them are used in british
>> heraldry.  However, since we're not relying exclusively on British
>> heraldry, that shouldn't pose a problem.
>
>Why are we using any heraldry from the real world?  And why can't I have a
>charteuse arms?  Last time I checked, this was a nomic and we can do
>things anyway we liked.  (incidently, I ran into Peter Suber last week and
>explained some of what was happening in Acka.  And he still says nomic
>wiht a long O.)

As to why to use heraldry from the real world.. well, because that is what
makes it heraldry :)  The concepts of blazon are such that they only
really make sense in the context of real-world heraldry.  I'm certainly
not adverse to expanding the set of colors/metals/furs available to choose
from.  I started with standard heraldry colors/metals/furs because they
are what is known.
Since at least until the rules of heraldry are enmeshed into the Acka
ruleset where they can be changed, they rest solely with the discretion of
the Herald.  I choose to use things that make sense :) (and have started
embedding pieces into the rules (see the tinctures proposal))  Once they
are in the rules, they can be modified by other players and I then must
abide by them.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 03:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  I call Witchhunt hearings on: Joe Java, H*bert, Ayla, Rufus, else...if,
> J M Bear, Koxvolio and JT.  (In the case of the hearing on H*bert this is
> a color hearing - since I can't call a world one on myself...)

Okay, fine.

The Earth is Round! (I said it before, I'll say it again).
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 03:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 592 (Rex Mundi)

The rules of Party Chess are very explicit about what happens when a
winner is declared. In that way this is unlike the first ackanomic win.
Had there not been explicit rules, then we might have needed to argue
about the interpretation of various suggestions, seeing as there are, I
don't see why this CFJ is necessary.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Thu, 14 May 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> "He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it."
> 
> >Call For Judgement 592- May 12, 1998
> >Subject: Chess
> >Initiator: J.M. Bear (sent May 12, 1998, 11:09)
> >Judge: Rex Mundi (selected May 13, 1998, 17:44)
> >Judgement: 
> >
> >Statement:
> >Whena winner of a game of Party Chess is declared by
> >Rule 1230.40, the current game of Party Chess ends, and
> >a new game of Party Chess begins.
> >
> >Initiator's Reasoning:
> >Although Party Chess has no official game counter,
> >the title "Winner of a game of Party Chess" expresses that the
> >game of Party Chess ended. Since playing Party Chess goes
> >on, a new game of Party Chess has begun. The game of Party
> >Chess which is an unownable entity probably includes all of
> >Party Chess.
> 
> Reminds me very much of the good old days, when the very first
> cycle tried to end.  They weren't even called cycles, then.  I
> guess it was about two years ago.  There are some CFJs in the
> archives which might provide some useful precedent.
> 
> 
> ThinMan
> Not quite ready for TMBSG
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 03:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS reform RFC

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > The reasons for these changes are basically that a) people don't seem to
> > be playing many Mundane songs, myself included, and b) Esoteric Songs
> > aren't coming up that often.  Although Chess Piece Face has been played
> > quite a bit recently... (poke, Alfvaen).
> 
> Ummm.  This is a hint, isn't it?  That in fact it should have been playing
> for the past three days or so, since Slakko got eir Stabber's Knives on
> Mon, May 11 1998 17:18:55 EDT?  Oops.  I'm a bad Deejay, aren't I?

Actually, it should have been playing non-stop from the 7th of May to the 
14th of May. TGW picked up a Knife on the 7th, J. M. Bear on the 9th,
Koxvolio and I picked ours up on the 11th.

Bad DJ, bad bad DJ.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cortex And Viruses

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Actually, I was planning on starting another viruses game, so I
> > might as well announce it now.  Whoever wants to play Viruses say so.
> 
> "Seau".

I'd like to play viruses too.

> 
> > The game will start in about a week and a half, after I'm finished

that would be a good time to start.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:14:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Once again

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Raquel Peres da Silva wrote:
> 
> > Why not? Being burnt could be an interesting experience.
> > 
> > Standing up in front of my house, I, too, yell:
> > 
> > The Earth is Round! Black is nor a colour neither a color!
> > 
> I yell "The Earth is Banna Shaped!", "The set of colours doesn't include
> either 'Black' or 'Sable'"
> 
> H*bert.

Them are Feuding words:)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

I approve the action of converting the Cult of Odo on the Wormhole into a
Church.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:26:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3066

On Fri, 15 May 1998, nomicbot wrote:
> {{[Part of this is to prevent people from saving people who want to be
> burnt, the other part is just to get rid of a small ambiguity I saw in
> the rules which said they were saved from being burnt, but not whether the
> hearing was cancelled or not]}}

No ambiguity. The points was to save people from being burned, an act I
object in any context. Once this is prevented, who cares about the hearing
results.
Since we don't care about them, you might as well cancel it, to save work
and bandwidth, but the point was never the hearing, but rather its
consequences.

Niccolo Flychuck
 > 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 05:48:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: To the library

> > I then go down to the vault of the book.
> 
> Unfortunately, The Gingham Wearer is unable to enter, not having any of
> the Keys to the Vault.  I mean, because it was less than 24 hours from
> Joe Java's visit.

Fine then. I go down to the vault of the book now.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Nemesis Eggplants

I have finished processing the Agenda Bids:

A - Attila the Pun
G - The Gingham Wearer
H - Hubert
J - JT
K - K 2
S - Slakko
V - Vynd
W - H*bert
Y - Ayla
? - else...if

1: -100(A), -36(G), -29(J), 0(W), 50(V), 50(?), 80(S), 100(H), 120(Y), 139(K)
2: -150(?), -50(A), -40(J), -30(W), -25(V), -19(G), 0(S), 75(H), 100(Y), 129(K)
3: -76(H), -50(W), -25(A), 0(?), 30(J), 50(V), 95(G), 100(S), 120(Y), 139(K)
4: -200(W), -100(?), -30(Y), 0(G), 0(H), 0(K), 40(S), 60(J), 84(A), 100(V)
5: -250(W), -50(?), -42(H), -40(S), -7(G), 0(V), 0(K), 20(J), 30(Y), 76(A)
6: -279(V), -100(H), -75(A), -47(G), 0(?), 5(W), 100(J), 120(Y), 130(S), 139(K)
7: -78(G), -78(H), -30(A), -20(W), 10(Y), 50(?), 75(V), 104(K), 110(J), 139(S)
8: -270(W), -57(H), 10(Y), 25(?), 67(A), 75(V), 80(J), 99(G), 139(S), 139(K)
9: -200(W), -50(A), 0(V), 1(G), 10(Y), 30(S), 50(?), 60(J), 69(H), 139(K)
10: -279(V), -201(H), -84(A), -50(W), -25(?), -18(G), 0(K), 20(S), 30(J), 30(Y)
11: -200(V), -80(S), -20(Y), 0(?), 5(G), 10(W), 11(H), 60(J), 139(A), 139(K)
12: -173(W), -150(S), -50(?), -14(G), -10(J), -1(H), 0(V), 30(Y), 58(A), 139(K)
13: -278(S), -239(H), -150(?), -109(W), -103(G), -25(V), -20(Y), -20(A), -15(J), 0(K)
14: -279(W), -277(S), -150(?), -50(J), 0(V), 0(G), 83(K), 85(A), 101(H), 130(Y)
15: -279(V), -204(H), -3(J), 0(?), 20(S), 50(Y), 60(G), 97(A), 100(W), 139(K)
16: -279(V), -187(H), -160(S), -100(?), -50(J), -10(K), 2(G), 43(A), 50(W), 100(Y)
17: -100(V), -100(W), 50(Y), 50(J), 90(G), 99(H), 120(A), 138(S), 139(?), 139(K)
18: 0(?), 70(S), 86(A), 100(J), 100(V), 107(G), 111(H), 139(Y), 139(W), 139(K)
19: -40(J), 0(A), 30(W), 50(?), 96(G), 100(V), 100(Y), 100(S), 103(H), 139(K)
20: 0(W), 50(Y), 50(V), 57(A), 75(J), 123(H), 139(G), 139(?), 139(S), 139(K)
21: -112(A), -50(W), -23(J), 0(G), 0(H), 20(S), 25(?), 50(V), 50(Y), 139(K)
22: -200(Y), -47(G), -25(?), -2(A), 80(J), 98(H), 100(W), 139(V), 139(S), 139(K)
23: 0(V), 0(G), 0(?), 0(S), 0(A), 50(Y), 113(H), 130(W), 139(J), 139(K)
24: -279(V), -279(?), -279(W), -278(S), -202(G), -110(A), 0(K), 130(Y), 139(J), 139(H)
25: -134(W), -47(G), -30(A), 0(?), 0(S), 0(K), 50(V), 60(J), 64(H), 130(Y)
26: -10(A), -2(J), 0(V), 50(Y), 50(S), 87(H), 100(?), 100(W), 130(G), 139(K)

The following Nemesis Eggplants have been awarded:

Attila the Pun: 1, 9, 21
The Gingham Wearer: 7, 25 (already had B9)
Hubert: 3, 6, 15
JT: 19, 20, 26
K 2: 18
Slakko: 11, 13 (already had B13)
Vynd: 10, 16, 24
H*bert: 5, 8, 14
Ayla: 17, 22, 23
else...if: 2, 4, 12

K 2 got off so lightly due to eir high bidding pattern and the fact that
two Nemesis Eggplants were owned by non-bidders.

Agenda Hats will be sent out privately relatively soon(though after "Pinky
& The Brain", due to start in a few minutes), and all the relevant
information, including the current set of agendas and their weights, will
be up on the web sometime today.

And then the _real_ fun begins.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--OMD:Dazzle Ships
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 12:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rebellion.

I am changing my name to \dev\joe

\dev\joe
DOS rewls.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 12:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swingpoints and bonus votes

I am trading in four of my swingpoints for a bonus vote.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Agenda Hats

I suppose I might as well post the complete lists of agenda hats with
weights, as well as the two Silly ones I decided to use:

1. The owner of this hat has won at least 3 games from the G&C suite with
4 or more players at the start of the game.

Weight: -36

2. The owner of this hat has been in at least 3 duels and has never lost a
duel.

Weight: -50

3. The owner of this eggplant has beaten the owner of this hat in a duel.

Weight: -50

4. There is no instance of the text "Spelling Bee" in the Rules of
Ackanomic.

Weight: -30

5. The Brass Monkey has climbed the homes of both the owner of this
Eggplant and the owner of this Hat.

Weight: -50

6. The owner of this Hat has served a sentence of length at least 7 days
in Gaol, and the owner of this Eggplant has a Brie.

Weight: -75

7. The player wearing this hat must be wearing at least six other garments,
none of which are agenda hats.

Weight: -30

8. The owner of this hat has been hailed as emperor in the public forum, by
at least three other players, since the hat came into his possession

Weight: -57

9. The owner of this hat is weird, silly, guilty of patent infringement,
enlightened, has learned eir lesson and has had snowgod's disease.

Weight: 0

10. The owner of this eggplant has 57 points less than the Speaker.

Weight: -201

11. The Ackanomic rules contain all the following words: "quirpele,
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, flibble, photoelectric".

Weight: -20

12. The owner of this hat and the owner of this eggplant are both Giant
Green Gorillas, and the designation Giant Green Gorilla has some
meaning in the rules.

Weight: -14

13. The owner of this hat has submitted a proposal that has recieved
exactly two YES votes and no BAA! votes, and the owner of this
eggplant has voted PRESENT on said proposal.

Weight: -239

14. The owner of this hat has had a score less than or equal to
negative one million (-1000000) at some point during this cycle.

Weight: -277

15. No message posted by the owner of this hat in the Ackanomic, Acka-priv
or Acka-research mailing list in the last 15 days contained any of the
following words: all, ask, be, because, but, game, however, if, just,
like, my, need, only, then, think, want, way.

Weight: -3

16. The owner of this hat submited a proposal containing only words with
7 or more letters, and it was accepted.

Weight: -187

17. The owner of this hat danced on the Town Hall Steps, wearing this hat,
and described eir dance in a sonnet in iambic pentameter.

Weight: 50

18. The wearer of this hat has been On Ice within the last week.

Weight: 139

19. The wearer of this hat has at least 50 points more than the holder of
this eggplant.

Weight: 0

20. The wearer of this hat has found a treasure since the last cycle win.

Weight: 123

21. A prime number of Proposals submitted by the owner of this hat have been 
declared harfy since this hat first became Visible.

Weight: -50

22. The wearer of this hat has played a song whose lyrics contain eir name
(Ackanomic name or real name) on the Ackanomic Sound System.

Weight: -47

23. [Silly] The wearer of this hat has a trout in eir milk.

Weight: 104

24. [Silly] The wearer of this hat has an odd number of pointy ears.

Weight: 104

25. It is publicly knowable that the associated conditions of five different
agenda hats, not including hats in the possesion of the owner of this
hat, have become true and remained that way, having previously been
false, while the owner of this hat has been wearing this hat.

Weight: -30

26. The owner of this hat is a member of an organization which has as a
member a non-player Entity which has not previously been a member of
that organisation and joined after the owner of this hat became a
member.

Weight: 0

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Sass Jordan:No More
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Do not throw cigarettes into the urinal, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:25:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hats

I reveal that I have the following Agenda Hat:

2. The owner of this hat has been in at least 3 duels and has never lost a
duel.

If anyone wants this then get in touch. I'd be interested in hats 8, 9, 11,
12, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26. If you want to trade then post a
public declaration saying so.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rebellion.

> I am changing my name to \dev\joe

> \dev\joe
> DOS rewls.

Unfortunately, this has the same primitive form(from Rule 348)as
/dev/joe, so this doesn't happen.  Therefore it would probably be illegal
for me, as Registrar, to ack it or any similarly illegal name change.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Blur
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
I don't play air guitar.  I play water guitar.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:08:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Agenda Hats and Such Stuff

I am revealing the conditions associated with two of my Agenda Hats.

> 15. No message posted by the owner of this hat in the Ackanomic, Acka-priv
> or Acka-research mailing list in the last 15 days contained any of the
> following words: all, ask, be, because, but, game, however, if, just,
> like, my, need, only, then, think, want, way.
> 
> Weight: -3
> 
> 17. The owner of this hat danced on the Town Hall Steps, wearing this hat,
> and described eir dance in a sonnet in iambic pentameter.
> 
> Weight: 50

I wear the Hat labelled 17 above (which is probably C17).
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:56:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Agenda Hats

I make the following condition of one of my hats visible.

21. A prime number of Proposals submitted by the owner of this hat have
been declared harfy since this hat first became Visible.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 15:57:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Illuminatus Page

The Illuminatus page has been updated with current Nemesis Eggplant and
Visible Agenda Hat information.  (Including JT and Slakko's most recent
revelations.)  At the moment it's arranged by player, with each agenda
condition listed under the Nemesis Eggplant if the Hat is not visible,
and under the Hat if it is visible.  Hopefully that won't be too
confusing.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Alannah Myles:Arival
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:02:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IRC

I'm there now. Feel free to join me.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:08:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I hereby announce the fact
that I wish to retract
proposal 3062.
What better could I do?
Since it was incomplete, you see -
the full version is 3063.
JMB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:21:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: CFJ 587

I am using my privilege as Praetor to send CFJ 587 to the Supreme Court.
I don't even want to _touch_ this one.  I apologize in advance.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Alannah Myles:Arival
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Things are gradually falling into place on top of me.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:56:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 591 (TRUE)

Ayla has judged this TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 591- May 11, 1998
Subject: Learning Lessons
Initiator: Pandora (sent May 11, 1998, 08:03)
Judge: Ayla (selected May 13, 1998, 17:40)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
TGW has not learned eir lesson.

Initiator's Reasoning:
My reasoning is illustrated by the following quoted message:

>Ahem. Despite what the player/entity page may or may not say I have in fact
>learned my lesson. Check the BPH logs if you don't believe me. Whilst
>discussing BPHs I also note that ;) is not a rule recognised smiley. I
>unlearned my lesson the first time by calling a BPH on Slakko for a similar
>smiley (you people really should be paying a bit more attention :-)
>
>TGW (making the most of this :-).

regardless of what the rules may say, e has quite clearly not learned eir
lesson (I am CCing this CFJ to the main list, since TGW is COTC -- not that
I'm
suggesting e might 'forget' to process this CFJ or anything)

Judge's Reasoning:
The most recent information I could find about this subject was that TGW
unlearned eit lesson on Feb 23 12:52 EST. Therefore, I judge Pandora's
statement TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:02:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 593 (J.M. Bear)

J.M. Bear has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 593- May 16, 1998
Subject: Chess
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent May 16, 1998, 16:21)
Judge: J.M. Bear (selected May 16, 1998, 17:00)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Alfvaen has achieved a Winning Condition within the past week.

Initiator's Reasoning:
This is a Cycle Win CFJ.

I believe that my score is infinite, since it is being constantly increased
by two points.

Here is the text of Proposal 2938, which was accepted at Sat, 2 May 1998
19:55:21 EDT:

> Proposal 2938 - Sat 25 Apr 1998 08:31 EDT
> Theatre Monkeys
> The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

> This is a modest proposal.

> Modify section VII of rule 34o to read:

> "VII. Alphabetical ordering shall be determined by a word-by-word
> comparison, each word compared letter-by-letter. For these purposes: A word
> is considered to be delimited by whitespace; an initial word 'The' or 'the'
> is ignored; a single string of digits is considered equivalent to a letter;
> digital 'letters' precede alphabetical letters; accented letters come
> immediately after the unaccented form of the letter; and non-alphanumeric
> characters are ignored (excluding whitespace used for the purpose of
> delimiting words, which counts only for this purpose); and case is ignored.
> All else failing, two words that are otherwise equivalent shall be sorted
> in ASCII collation order.

> {{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains two points. [He
> reminded me about the need to do this.]}}

A prior CFJ determined that "34o" was an unambiguous misspelling of "340".

From, ironically enough, Rule 340 itself, comes the text:

  III. When text is specified as delimited, the end of the document in
  question serves as an ending delimiter if an ending delimiter is
  otherwise missing.  Delimiters do not nest, except when the double
  quote character is used as a delimiter.  Text delimited by double
  quotes is known as a string.

Now, P2938 does not specifically state that the replacement text for
Rule 340 is delimited by double quotes, but I think that since it is
unlikely that the Rule-Harfer put the leading quote into the new text
of Rule 340, it is to be implicitly considered as being delimited.  The
absence of another double-quote character in P2938 results in the end
of the document in question serving as an ending delimiter.  So the
entire text of the last two paragraphs, including the double-brace-
enclosed text at the end, is added to Rule 340.

Now, Rule 340 also states:

  V. Text in rules other than this one, delimited by double curly braces
  {{e.g. this}}, is self-deleting text.

So any double-brace-enclosed text in Rule 340 is _not_ self-deleting,
_including that added by Proposal 2938_.

Now what we have is a Rule which states, at the end:

{{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains two points. [He
reminded me about the need to do this.]}}

What happens when a Rule states that a player gain two points,
unconditionally?  Does it mean that those two points are gained only
once, and then never again?  Let's take this in stages.

If a rule states "Alfvaen gains two points whenever a harfy Proposal
passes", does it mean that those two points are gained when the harfy
Proposal passes, and then taken away when it is not the case that a
harfy Proposal is passing?  I don't think anyone would take that point
of view.  Think of it instead the following block of pseudocode:

If (harfy proposal passes) then
   Alfvaen's score = Alfvaen's score + 2

In general, we can think of "Alfvaen gains two points when CONDITION"
as being

If (CONDITION) then
   Alfvaen's score = Alfvaen's score + 2

So what does it mean when CONDITION is missing?  Well, what is the
difference between "I have wet hair" and "I have wet hair when it is
raining"?  In the first case, the condition is _always true_.  The
first sentence is equivalent to "I have wet hair when 1=1", or any
other tautology.  Therefore, "Alfvaen gains two points" means
"Alfvaen gains two points when 1=1", or

If (1=1) then
   Alfvaen's score = Alfvaen's score + 2

But how often is this conditional evaluated?  I would hold that it happens
an infinite number of times per second, because one can, for instance,
undertake two actions at the same time(in the same message), both of which
yield points, possible from the same Rule.

Therefore, since the passage of Proposal 2938, I have been gaining two
points an infinite number of times per second, so my score can no longer
be expressed without using Aleph notation.  Obviously, Aleph-null is
greater than 419, so my score exceeds the Magic Number, and I have
attained a Winning Condition.

(The Gingham Wearer's score, meanwhile, is continually cycling through all
the even numbers between 20 and -60...)

I promise that if I win the Cycle through this means, I will donate
the infinite amount of money I receive at the end of the Cycle back to
the Treasury.  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:04:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: cfj ineligablity list

I take myself off the cfj ineligablity list.

I put myself on the illegible handwriting list, should such exist.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:13:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: cfj ineligablity list

> I take myself off the cfj ineligablity list.

Consider it done. 

TGW, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 586 (TRUE)

Alfvaen has judged this TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 586- May 04, 1998
Subject: Auction
Initiator: /dev/joe (sent May 04, 1998, 11:10)
Judge: rufus (selected May 05, 1998, 14:44)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
JT won the auction for the first Scroll of Crumble /dev/joe created
after becoming Inventor.

Initiator's Reasoning:
It depends on whether H*bert's bid is valid.  He wrote:

> If it is still going on I bid A$50 for the Scroll of Crumble.
> Unless that is too small in which case I bid the smallest bid I can make
> for it.

At the time, the high bid was A$55 by JT.  The auction ended after H*bert
made the bid above, and before any other bid was made, regardless of the
validity of this bid.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:
I'm leaving for another CFJ the question of whether or not /dev/joe
became Inventor.  This CFJ's statement is null in that thread.  Here I
will assume that /dev/joe did become Inventor.

The Auction began at Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:28:16 EDT.

Valid bids:
H*bert, A$1: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:41:13 EDT.
Vynd, A$5: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:42:50 EDT.
H*bert, A$7: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:46:42 EDT.
JT, A$15: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:09:50 EDT.
Rex Mundi, A$25: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:37:35 EDT.
JT, A$28: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:52:50 EDT.
Pandora, A$31: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 05:05:07 EDT.
JT, A$35: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:05:18 EDT.
Rex Mundi, A$50: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:53:05 EDT.
JT, A$55: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:57:44 EDT.

H*bert's final bid attempt was made at Fri, 1 May 1998 05:04:05 EDT.  This
was less than three days after the beginning of the auction, so it is not
disqualified on that account.

> If it is still going on I bid A$50 for the Scroll of Crumble.
> Unless that is too small in which case I bid the smallest bid I can make
> for it.

So the question is, is this a disqualified bid of A$50, or a conditionally-
phrased but still valid bid of A$61?

Let's take a look at Rule 373, "Public Actions".

The recently-added last sentence of the first paragraph states "Referring to
information contained in other documents or data sources does not
constitute including that information in the message."  Now, it assuredly
takes information from other documents or data sources to find out what
the last bid was(and possibly, even given that, what the smallest legal
bid in that case would be, though referring to the Rules might still be
allowed).  So the conditional bid was invalid by Rule 373, and JT's bid
of A$55 was the highest.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 591 (TRUE)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Ayla has judged this TRUE.

I appeal the verdict of CFJ 591

Appellant (Slakko's) Reasoning:

The Bracket/Smiley Pedantry Hearing Archive clearly lists the following
information:

BPH 105: Called by Hubert on The Gingham Wearer on Fri, 13 Mar 1998.

Message in question:

> Crusader. I still think I'm eligible for a cheese though (and had
already
> pointed this out to Alfvaen :-) though, because I have held five offices

Results: The Hearing voted 1-0 for "It was obviously in violation!" at
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:37:54 -0500

As a result of this Hearing, The Gingham Wearer once again Learned Eir
Lesson.  The Gingham Wearer has not called a BPH since, and hence could
not have lost the fact that he has Learned Eir Lesson.

Hence TGW has learned eir lesson.

- ---end appellate reasoning---
> 
> Judge's Reasoning:
> The most recent information I could find about this subject was that TGW
> unlearned eit lesson on Feb 23 12:52 EST. Therefore, I judge Pandora's
> statement TRUE.

Ayla, the page was at http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/entity/tarred.html

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: The Gingham Wearer
# Ackanomicon determination
# based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
# 1 -15: arcane trivia
# 16-20: vile prophecies
# 21-25: inner workings
# 26-30: arcane lore
# 31-33: terrorizing pages
# 34-34: ancient artifact
# 35-36: mutation
# 37-38: dark domain
# 39-39: stock market crash
# 40-41: long lost treasure
# 42-43: doomsday
# 44-44: forbidden fruit
# 45-45: catastrophe
# 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
# 50-50: ancient one
# Alfvaen

No. of sides on every die:     50
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     50

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat May 16 15:31:30 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id PAA17291 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 16 May 1998 15:31:30 -0700
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-77.agt.net(204.209.198.70) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma017284; Sat May 16 15:31:29 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by edtntnt1-port-83.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id QAA02658 for [email-masked]; Sat, 16 May 1998 16:31:04 -0600
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Book
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:31:04 -0600 (MDT)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 50
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: The Gingham Wearer
> #C Ackanomicon determination
> #C based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
> #C 1 -15: arcane trivia
> #C 16-20: vile prophecies
> #C 21-25: inner workings
> #C 26-30: arcane lore
> #C 31-33: terrorizing pages
> #C 34-34: ancient artifact
> #C 35-36: mutation
> #C 37-38: dark domain
> #C 39-39: stock market crash
> #C 40-41: long lost treasure
> #C 42-43: doomsday
> #C 44-44: forbidden fruit
> #C 45-45: catastrophe
> #C 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
> #C 50-50: ancient one
> #C Alfvaen
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNV4T0z8NitsTFjcVAQEU9QQAqh4ZyZdYctBIiJbIKVhKvCCr9H+6HXZ4
n8zv+nQNMRaos3HcxnSeukPl9ZNMqlyfQVnk+mEhnLJDvOjo2qEigGg+JCswaOSn
N9I+NAs0FTPcHy/6TY1rSY9+FTRdHFeEVkMkboCTLttbfijzkbC45Xw1uFJxmgii
TQBXbaqyGik=
=aiG5
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:51:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 593 (J.M. Bear)

> Call For Judgement 593- May 16, 1998
> Subject: Chess
> Initiator: Alfvaen (sent May 16, 1998, 16:21)
> Judge: J.M. Bear (selected May 16, 1998, 17:00)
> Judgement: 
> 
> Statement:
> Alfvaen has achieved a Winning Condition within the past week.
> 
> Initiator's Reasoning:
> This is a Cycle Win CFJ.

It is also an incredibly cool CFJ. I almost can't believe that you
didn't plan this - it's too perfect.

Anyway, I won't comment on the issue of whether or not your score is
now infinite, but it seems to me pretty incontestible that the
"temporary text" is still a part of Rule 340. (You will note from the
citations that I even harfed it as having been added to Rule 340. I am
kicking myself for not realizing that it wouldn't be removed.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:57:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 593 (J.M. Bear)

> It is also an incredibly cool CFJ. I almost can't believe that you
> didn't plan this - it's too perfect.

What, us, plan anything?  <innocent look>  I cannot tell a lie--TGW
emailed me a few weeks back to ask if I had any good ideas for amendments
to Rule 340, and already had the idea about "forgetting" the final
delimiter and putting the text giving me points already into the Rule.

> Anyway, I won't comment on the issue of whether or not your score is
> now infinite, but it seems to me pretty incontestible that the
> "temporary text" is still a part of Rule 340. (You will note from the
> citations that I even harfed it as having been added to Rule 340. I am
> kicking myself for not realizing that it wouldn't be removed.)

Well, that'll save some time.  :-)

Personally, I hope I don't have an infinite score, because I think it
entirely possible that the game might crash if so...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Meryn Cadell:Bombazine
Current Book--Michael Coney:Cat Karina
Listen.  Let's determinedly cry together.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #155
*******************************