Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #154
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Friday, May 15 1998         Volume 03 : Number 154

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:42:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: WITCHHUNTS!

 I call Witchhunt hearings on: Joe Java, H*bert, Ayla, Rufus, else...if,
J M Bear, Koxvolio and JT.  (In the case of the hearing on H*bert this is
a color hearing - since I can't call a world one on myself...)

 Valid responses are (reply to me to vote... :-):

 "No! E said the earth is flat" 

  and 

 "BURN THE WITCH!"

  and 

 "BAA!" :-)

 Any player who's EBS votes differently to emself will gain a trinket.

 H*bert.

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:

> The Earth IS Round I tell you! Black is NOT NOT NOT NOT a color!

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  I yell "The Earth is Banna Shaped!", "The set of colours doesn't include
> either 'Black' or 'Sable'"

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Raquel Peres da Silva wrote:

> The Earth is Round! Black is nor a colour neither a color!

On Fri, 15 May 1998, David Scheidt wrote in a message subjected the shape 
of the earth:

> Is of course, banna!

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	Why not?  I go to the library and yell into the ASS "The Earth is
> Round! Black is NOT a color!"

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:

> "The Round is Black! A colour is NOT Earth!"

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> The Earth is Round! Black is NOT a colour!  

On Fri, 15 May 1998, JT wrote:

> The Earth is Round!  Black is NOT a color!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:55:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure.

> Moron, you forgot to bury it as treasure.
> 
> Oh, right.  I bury "I beat /dev/joe." as Treasure with a map just like the
> one in the previous message.  (Seriously.)

I make it publicly known that the above trinket is a forgery, thus it
is transferred to me.

(Sorry, couldn't resist this one.)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 22:34:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Non-Herald

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> Actually, I would beg to differ with you in this Alfvaen.  *all* of the
>> references I have available to me allow the use of Per Cross, including
>> A.C. Fox-Davies 'The art of Heraldry'.  I would prefer to reserver
>> Quarterly for the combination of arms, and Per Cross for the simple arms
>> as I have done.
>
>On your head be it, then!  Each usage of "per cross" will be like a
>dagger in my breast, but I shall not quail!

*pierce* *pierce* *pierce* :)

>> See above, and if you have AC Fox-Davies book available look at page 61,
>> the description for the arms emblazoned on plate IX, number 25, which is
>> blazoned (and I quote) 'Per cross argent and sable, or alternatively,
>> quarterly argent and sable'.  Given that both are correct I choose to
>> reserve one for a specific meaning and use the other.  Fox-Davies does
>> note that quarterly is more common, but again, this is a judgement call
>> that I made.
>
>Actually, Fox-Davies is at a friend's, but I really don't think that "per
>cross" and "quarterly" are anywhere equivalent in usage.  I mean, they
>may mean the same, but I really don't recall seeing "per cross" hardly
>at all.  And in Julian Franklyn's _Heraldry_, it says "per pale and per
>fess together giving four boxes is simply called quarterly, or to be
>precise, quarterly of four."  "Per cross" turns up exactly zero times
>therein.

I don't have Franklyn's book handy, but I'll look for it.  Anyway, when
you get your copy of Fox-Davies back, take a look. 

>> Per pall and tierced in pairle are both equally correct (at least
>> according to some sources).  I would however use tierced in pairle rather
>> then per pall in this case. However, both of those forms are not found in
>> *british* heraldry.  That however does not make them illegal since they
>> have reached some acceptance elsewhere.

Actually, Fox-Davies says that *neither* of them are used in british
heraldry.  However, since we're not relying exclusively on British
heraldry, that shouldn't pose a problem.

>Franklyn doesn't mention anything about "tierced in pairle" being
>exclusively British, but he mentions the alternative description being
>"per chevron and in chief per pale" rather than "per pall", which I have
>seen even less than "per cross"(which, as you may recall, I have never
>seen).

Fox-Davies mentions the Per Chevron..... description as well.  Other
sources I've seen allow the per pall description, but I agree, it's rather
less frequent, and that is why I said I didn't wish to use it :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 22:56:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Award of Arms

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!

The most noble Alfvaen is hearby awarded the following arms which I'm sure
he will bear with great honor.  His arms are to be blazoned, 'Argent, a 
chevron Azure between in chief two quills Vert crossed in saltire and in
base a cinquefoil Gules'.

I would also like to announce to all and sundry that I would be more than
happy to help in the design of a coat of arms.  You needen't feel that you
need to give me the coat of arms already written in blazon.  I will
happily work with you from a more 'normal' description to arrive at
something you would be proud to bear.

- --JT
Herald

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #154
*******************************