Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #145
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Sunday, May 10 1998         Volume 03 : Number 145

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 00:16:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Illegal trinket queston

> > >I create a Trinket called "Old Italian Bolt-Action Rifle" (minus "s)
> > >valued at A$2.

> The trinket is not on the pe page - making the (usually correct)
> assumption that Alfvaen harfed it the right way, I'd say the trinket was
> not created and that the situation was harfed that way. ie, although it
> was not explicitly stated in the public forum that the trinket was not
> created, the game state was harfed as though it wasn't.

Actually, I guess I was so caught up in the whole "grassy knoll" sequence
of trinkets that I didn't notice that one had no description.  :-(  Oh,
well, the "Sceptre of Penguin Power" never had a description either.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle:One From The Heart Soundtrack
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
I laughed, I cried, it was a Mecca of emotion.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 05:44:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3023

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:

> 
> 
> > A Locust is depicted by the ASCII character 'L'.
> 
> I thought a Loyalist was already depicted by 'L' - it's in the
> rules, but not on the webpage. :-(
> J. M. Bear

Whoops, that's what I get for posting the unrevised version of my RFC.  I
retract NotAPartyChessPieceDef Proposal 3023.

Also shows how much attention Acka pays to RFCs in general... :-)

(Thanks, JM, for catching that.)

- -Hubert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 06:28:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Split Based Otzma Stuff

In the thread where there is a player called Malenkai, I play my Otzma
Card Map Shard, naming Malenkai, and Treasure 194.

In the thread where there is a player called saaremaa, I play my Otzma
Card Map Shard, naming saaremaa, and Treasure 194.

In the thread where Randy Hall is not the Real Life Name of any player, I
keep my Otzma Card, thank you very much. :-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 07:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Herald

The results of the election for herald are in and the results are as follows:

For Alfvaen:
Hubert
Alfvaen
K 2
Pandora
ThinMan + EBS
Attila the Pun

For JT:
JT + EBS
rufus
else...if + EBS
Slakko
Ayla + EBS
Joe Java
The Gingham Wearer

Which all means that JT is the new Ackanomic Herald. Well done. Now to go ad
read that book I got out of the library on Friday about Heraldry...

TGW, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 07:36:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Election for AR-P

I have been informed that the office I started nominations for a few days ago
was in fact the AR-P. 

The following have nominated themselves and you may reply to vote:

JT
K 2
IdiotBoy
Slakko

Should be a toughie...

TGW, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:24:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kitty Kat <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Registrarness

John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> Howdy Tom Kitten!  Hello Kitty Kat!  I've always been a cat person,
> myself.
>

Not me, I like dogs.

> So far as I know, I've never met "heitchue", U of M is an awfully big
> school after all.
>

Aw, you don't know what you're missin!!!

> I may as well take this opportunity to mention that I am now an alumnus of
> the University of Michigan, having graduated a week ago.  In a move that
> would surprise no one who knows me, I've moved back home until I find some
> sort of job.  I should be staying at my current email address for the
> forseeable future (assuming I remember to pay the bills).
>

Congrats. I'm stuck here for at least another 2 years. But that's okay, I
rather like the place.

Oh yeah, my name is really Catherine Heitchue. Sorry for not introducing
myself properly. Hey, it was late and stuff when I stumbled on the page!!

Okay, I'm going back to observing now.

~Kitty

>                                - John "Vynd" McCoy
>
> [email-masked]
>
> >
> > --
> > --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> > Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
> > Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
> > Life is a placebo masquerading as a simile.
> >

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: P2920

for most ackans this is yesterday's news, but I'm no clear on one claim
made by P2920. Specifically:
{{[ The following is functionally implied by the rules, but needs to be
explicitly stated for R1010 to work correctly. ]}} 

Amend rule 1003, "Organizations," by inserting the sentence "A VSO may not
own anything." immediately before the sentence
"Any attmpet [sic] on the part of a VSO to perform any other kind of
Orgnizational Action fails." 

Why should VSOs not be able to own anything?
They can't use what they own until they cease being a VSO, but I see no
reason to forbid that. Part of the point of having VSOs in the first place
is to allow continutiy of ownership of entities. Otherwise one might as
well disband the organizations all together when it drops below the three
member limit.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:55:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Feuds

I wasn't here when the voting period on that ended, so I was just curious
as to why, and by how much it failed. The concept, the implementation?

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:00:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

>Which all means that JT is the new Ackanomic Herald. Well done. Now to go ad
>read that book I got out of the library on Friday about Heraldry...

The beginings of the Herald web pages are now up at
http://www.nausicaa.net/~jtraub/acka/herald.html

Any Ackanomic web pages which I work with will always be able to be found
off of http://www.nausicaa/net/~jtraub/acka/
which a nice index at that page.

I look forward to beginning the duties of granting Coats of Arms.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Feuds

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> I wasn't here when the voting period on that ended, so I was just curious
> as to why, and by how much it failed. The concept, the implementation?

The implementation - there was a potential paradox problem when a Duel
happened between two people both in both organisations - who does it count
for?  If this had been cleared up, I would have voted for it.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:13:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : P2948, changing checkmate conditions

I note that it passed, I don't like that one either. I don't see what's
wrong with using placement to get out of check. I see no reason to limit
Swingers to atomic plays when they they are checked, the Swinger who put
them in check may not have been limited thus. As for TGWs claim that he
wants tactics to be more like ordinary chess. I suggest that you take a
look at the chess variants site, reachable from my home page
(www.actcom.co.il/~bruck)
what you call ordinary chess is only one of a several hunderds variants,
some of them are just as old, or older, played by as many people, in the
case of chinese chess, probably by more, just as complex. There is now
such thing as 'ordinary chess', and even if there were, I see no reason to
converge Party Chess upon it. 
Ben Good, who played acka for a while, started his own chess/nomic game
where chess plays a central role. It is based in part on Party Chess. Some
differences exist due to choices made on purpose. Others just evolved.
Both its common roots with Party chess and its own distinct characters are
apparent. Does it make it a better game, a worse game, a more interesting
game?
It makes it a different game.
Party Chess is played in an environment which is vastly different than the
environment in which 'standard' chess is played. I have always maintained
that it should maintain some chess like concepts, which why I always
opposed, and will continue to oppose, pieces that will make it look more
like a war zone than chess, however, having played a few variants, for me,
in its present form, it is undoutedly a chess variant.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : P2959 - Dispensations

The reasoning behind the restrictions on Societies, previously to this
proposal having been accepted.
Societies replaced the previous player sanctioned organization, which were
a breeding ground for scams.
The restrcitions allow societies in practice to do two things: purchase
powers, and transform. I will to look further into the Dispensations rule
to see just whether it gives any leeway to scams as well. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : P2976

I see the problem Slakko sees. There are indeed too many Go Fish Cards
around, the solution is a good one, but it also points another thing. 
Nowhere is it prohibited for an Otzma Card action, or part of an action to
be defined as a counter-action to one other specific Otzma Cards. Thus
some very interesting chains of play may be played out. Go Fish should be
less common then they are now.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Otzma Card type Shield

In practice this takes the cooperation of two players to effectively use a
Shield. I like that.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: P2986 Theocracy

I oppose this. I don't see any reason to have a State Religions. I don't
think that this what Churches are about.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : P2948, changing checkmate conditions

> I note that it passed, I don't like that one either. I don't see what's
> wrong with using placement to get out of check. I see no reason to limit
> Swingers to atomic plays when they they are checked, the Swinger who put
> them in check may not have been limited thus. As for TGWs claim that he
> wants tactics to be more like ordinary chess. I suggest that you take a
> look at the chess variants site, reachable from my home page
> (www.actcom.co.il/~bruck)
> what you call ordinary chess is only one of a several hunderds variants,
> some of them are just as old, or older, played by as many people, in the
> case of chinese chess, probably by more, just as complex. There is now
> such thing as 'ordinary chess', and even if there were, I see no reason to
> converge Party Chess upon it. 
> Ben Good, who played acka for a while, started his own chess/nomic game
> where chess plays a central role. It is based in part on Party Chess. Some
> differences exist due to choices made on purpose. Others just evolved.
> Both its common roots with Party chess and its own distinct characters are
> apparent. Does it make it a better game, a worse game, a more interesting
> game?
> It makes it a different game.
> Party Chess is played in an environment which is vastly different than the
> environment in which 'standard' chess is played. I have always maintained
> that it should maintain some chess like concepts, which why I always
> opposed, and will continue to oppose, pieces that will make it look more
> like a war zone than chess, however, having played a few variants, for me,
> in its present form, it is undoutedly a chess variant.

I have already seen the chess variants page (two-star told me about it on
IRC) and agree that many different forms of chess exist. However, you
appeared to know exactly what I meant when I said 'ordinary chess' so it was
obviously clear enough. I don't doubt that Ackanomic Party Chess is a chess
variant (I've even seen that on the chess variants page, it could do with
updating actually), but with nomic being nomic there are a few things that
I'd like to change in it and have proposed some of them already. Some of them
I don't think I'll bother proposing since I very much doubt they'd pass, such
as repealing archers and tornadoes which I feel make a mockery of normal
chess values such as well defended pieces. Nor will I try to turn party chess
into "normal" chess, I appreciate the differentness, there are just certain
changes that I feel ought to be made. Again, with nomic being what it is
there will be some people who don't like these changes and some that will.
One last thing, swingers in check are not limited to a single atomic play,
they can make as many as they want *provided* they are theoretically capable
of getting out of check with a single move or capture.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver moon results

> Which of course means that Alfvaen wins the Silver Moon. Congratulations
> Alfvaen!

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me.  Although I don't know if
the Senators would have even put it on the list if I hadn't suggested it
to them, I wouldn't have done so if it hadn't been so well-received when
I posted it.

I've had three '76 proposals accepted, but only posted descriptions for
one of them, the one for which I am receiving this award.  This is
probably because I get these grandiose ideas for what to do, and then
end up putting them off for too long.

So with this Parade I decided to just do something simple, and
alliteration was the first thing I hit upon.  From there I just free-
associated, mostly.  Alliteration allowed for more freedom than would
have a strict rhyme or meter, so it hopefully didn't sound too forced.

In conclusion I'd like to also offer congratulations to my fellow
nominees, including the recently-returned...uh...Malenkai/saaremaa.
May many Silver Moons be awarded in future!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Grapes of Wrath:Seems Like Fate 1984-1992
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
"Beware of idolatry, for when it sours, you'll sour with it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 20:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Odo on the Wormhole.

 In case this has been lost in the various events...

 I apply to join the Cult/Church of Odo on the Wormhole.

 H*bert, known as Wild Card list time he asked this...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:55:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald

On Sun, 10 May 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sun, 10 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> >Which all means that JT is the new Ackanomic Herald. Well done. Now to go ad
> >read that book I got out of the library on Friday about Heraldry...
> 
> The beginings of the Herald web pages are now up at
> http://www.nausicaa.net/~jtraub/acka/herald.html
> 
> Any Ackanomic web pages which I work with will always be able to be found
> off of http://www.nausicaa/net/~jtraub/acka/
> which a nice index at that page.
> 
> I look forward to beginning the duties of granting Coats of Arms.
> 
 You can only grant coats, yes? - which wouldn't include mottos, crests,
etc...

 In which case I'll apply for:

 Quarterly, 1st potent, on a two of spades proper, 2nd argent, an estoile
tawny, 3rd argent, a question mark tawny, 4th potent, on a two of clubs proper.

 H*bert/(Wild Card)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:33:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> You can only grant coats, yes? - which wouldn't include mottos, crests,
>etc...

As the rules stand, yes, I can only grant coats of arms.

> In which case I'll apply for:
>
> Quarterly, 1st potent, on a two of spades proper, 2nd argent, an estoile
>tawny, 3rd argent, a question mark tawny, 4th potent, on a two of clubs proper.

I would ask that you use standard heraldic colors.  Tawny is something
that I vaguely recognize, but it's not an established color for heraldry.
I have submitted a proposal which will attempt to make this part of the
rules.

Perhaps Tenne (orange) instead of Tawny?

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:40:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald

On Sun, 10 May 1998, JT wrote:
[Stuff clipped]

My apologies.. I had intended to reply privately, but hadn't noticed that
H*bert had sent it to the list instead of to me privately.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: EBS auction

My latest creation, a brand new Evil Ballot Stuffer, is complete!
I am putting it up for auction, minimum bid A$ 25.

ThinMan
Wizard

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #145
*******************************