Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #140
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Wednesday, May 6 1998        Volume 03 : Number 140

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 02:46:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Take Two

On Tue, 5 May 1998, JT wrote:

> On Tue, 5 May 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
> >I suggest the Razor Boomerangs take possession of the Little Lamb.  Since
> >it is not owned by a player who has owned it for less than one week (it's
> >owned by the Razor Boomerangs) this will happen once acknowledged by JT
> >and Joe Java.  We don't even have to pay the A$10, it seems.  Happy, K 2?
> 
> Well, I support this Organizational Action.

I take possession of the Little Lamb.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 02:50:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Old Fashioned Burning

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Slakko wrote:
> > Rule 670 says, in section 4:
> > 
> > 4) If the Commission fails to produce the report within the constraints of
> > this rule, or if the Commission has not produced the report within 4
> > days since it was called, then after a 4 day grace period (to allow the
> > members of the Commission to dwell on what they have done) every
> > member of the Commission will be burned as a witch and have their score
> > reduced by 2 points. 
> > 
> > The Commission took more than 4 days after the end of the last Cycle to
> > produce the report.  In fact, it took at least 5 days.  Therefore, after a
> > 4 day grace period (i.e. 8 days after the end of the last cycle) every
> > member of the Commission, i.e. every Senator, was burned as a witch and
> > had eir score reduced by 2 points. 
> 
> However, the commission was never "called" at all, it only "began session".
> See section 1 of the rule.

Section 1 also refers to the Commission "not being called" as an 
"Exception".  This would tend to very strongly suggest that "beginning
session" and "being called" are, as far as this rule is concerned,
synonymous.

Burn, /dev/joe, burn.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 02:56:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

ReSent-Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 07:58:27 +0100 (BST)
ReSent-From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: Ackanomic Main Mailing List <[email-masked]>
ReSent-Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
ReSent-X-X-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

I am calling on else...if to retract the false statement e issued in this
paper, about the positivity value.

> 	Current Value: 143.6
> 	Positivity Value:114.7
> 	Activity Value: 28.9
> 
> 	Change Today +6.2

Proposal   Effect on positivity
(Remember, 2853 had been retracted):

2949       +1.3
2950       +1.3
2951       +1.6
2952       +1.1
2954       -1.95
2955       +1.3
2956       +1.2
2957       +1.5
2948       +0.8

Net change +8.15, not +6.3, not even close.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 03:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Preservation Declaration

As Archivist, I am issuing a Preservation Declaration on the possession
called Beldin's Pants.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 04:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: acka: apologies

Sincere heartfelt apologies if I've been bouncing messages back to the list.
I've been unavoidably indisposed for the last couple of days and my mailbox
filled up.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 04:40:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic

There are some reasonably good heraldry sources on the internet. Try:

http://digiserve.com/heraldry/

It's a start, anyway.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 04:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on it
>represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with something with a
>meaning though.

I remember that the 'bend sinister' (a broad diagonal stripe from bottom right
to top left) is a sign of dubious parentage.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 04:59:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

I am being buried alive under bounce messages from Pandora's email
address, so by Rule 422 I am moving em to the digest versions of the
lists.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 05:00:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmasterness

> I am being buried alive under bounce messages from Pandora's email
> address, so by Rule 422 I am moving em to the digest versions of the
> lists.

Whoa! Disregard my last communique!

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 07:53:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Since our esteemed President has not yet done so, I hereby announce that
> the following ceremony is being held:
> 
> In the largest room in Tamson House(and there are many, one even that
> occupies both kaas of land on which the House sits), every member of
> Ackanomic, and cardboard cutouts(since genetic replicas are regulated
> by the Rules)of all past and future players, sit in lushly upholstered
> chairs, facing a dais which, like the rest of the room, and in fact the
> abovementioned chairs, is decorated entirely in gingham.

This is illegal.  Players changing locations is regulated by the rules, so
you cannot change my location unless the rules explicitly allow you to.
Therefore I was not at this ceremony, nor was anyone else except you.
Shame you had to give The Gingham Wearer eir award in absentia.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:34:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Take Two

> I suggest the Razor Boomerangs take possession of the Little Lamb.  Since
> it is not owned by a player who has owned it for less than one week (it's
> owned by the Razor Boomerangs) this will happen once acknowledged by JT
> and Joe Java.  We don't even have to pay the A$10, it seems.  Happy, K 2?

No, unfortunately, it's owned by Hubert right now, and so it'll be awake
before anyone, player, org, undead, or trinket, can take possession of
it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Tina Turner:One of The Living
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
The juke box music puzzled a gentle visitor from a quaint valley town.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:39:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Take Two

> > >I suggest the Razor Boomerangs take possession of the Little Lamb.  Since
> > >it is not owned by a player who has owned it for less than one week (it's
> > >owned by the Razor Boomerangs) this will happen once acknowledged by JT
> > >and Joe Java.  We don't even have to pay the A$10, it seems.  Happy, K 2?

> > Well, I support this Organizational Action.

> I take possession of the Little Lamb.

> Slakko

Doesn't work for you either.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Northern Pikes:Secrets of The Alibi
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
Two guys walk into a bar...*clang* *clang* "OOF!" "OW!"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

> > In the largest room in Tamson House(and there are many, one even that
> > occupies both kaas of land on which the House sits), every member of
> > Ackanomic, and cardboard cutouts(since genetic replicas are regulated
> > by the Rules)of all past and future players, sit in lushly upholstered
> > chairs, facing a dais which, like the rest of the room, and in fact the
> > abovementioned chairs, is decorated entirely in gingham.

> This is illegal.  Players changing locations is regulated by the rules, so
> you cannot change my location unless the rules explicitly allow you to.
> Therefore I was not at this ceremony, nor was anyone else except you.
> Shame you had to give The Gingham Wearer eir award in absentia.

Well, phooey on youey.  If you didn't want to come, that's your own fault.
I had lots of nice...holograms, that's it!  To go with the cardboard
cutouts.  And it's all on videotape, which I'll sell copies of for A$10
each.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Northern Pikes:Secrets of The Alibi
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:49:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: For my Grand Jury

I'd like a copy of the videotape of the supposedly illegal stripe
ceremony.

IB
looking for a President in Crisis

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:57:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

On Wed, 6 May 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

>> Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic
>
>There are some reasonably good heraldry sources on the internet. Try:
>
>http://digiserve.com/heraldry/
>
>It's a start, anyway.

Quite a few pages from under that site are non-functioning.. I went
through them the other day and excerpted the links that were still
working.  I'll post them (on a web page) in a few days.  But the ones that
do work are useful.

Also try http://www.heraldica.org

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to sieze the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: For my Grand Jury

> I'd like a copy of the videotape of the supposedly illegal stripe
> ceremony.

Which type do you want, the non-entity non-regulated by the Rules kind,
or do you want an actual Trinket?  Same price, but the latter take a
little longer to produce.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Northern Pikes:Secrets of The Alibi
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
He flung himself on his horse and rode madly off in all directions.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 10:09:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Illuminatus II

The period for submission of Agenda Hats has ended.  Bidding now starts.
The limits for bids are -279 and 139; remember, higher bids mean that you
think the hat is easier, since it means that more points should be
required as well as satisfying the Hat's conditions.  You may bid for
your own hats.  And also, you can only bid if you actually submitted a
Hat.  :-)

Here are the Hats under consideration(let me know if I've missed any that
were sent, or someone sent in more than their share):

JT:

1. The owner of this hat has won at least 3 games from the G&C suite with
4 or more players at the start of the game.

2. The owner of this hat has been in at least 3 duels and has never lost a
duel.

3. The owner of this eggplant has beaten the owner of this hat in a duel.

Slakko:

4. There is no instance of the text "Spelling Bee" in the Rules of
Ackanomic.

5. The Brass Monkey has climbed the homes of both the owner of this
Eggplant and the owner of this Hat.

6. The owner of this Hat has served a sentence of length at least 7 days
in Gaol, and the owner of this Eggplant has a Brie.

Vynd:

7. The player wearing this hat must be wearing at least six other garments,
none of which are agenda hats.

8. The owner of this hat has been hailed as emperor in the public forum, by
at least three other players, since the hat came into his possession

The Gingham Wearer:

9. The owner of this hat is weird, silly, guilty of patent infringement,
enlightened, has learned eir lesson and has had snowgod's disease.

10. The owner of this eggplant has 57 points less than the Speaker.

11. The Ackanomic rules contain all the following words: "quirpele,
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, flibble, photoelectric".

Attila the Pun:

12. The owner of this hat and the owner of this eggplant are both Giant
Green Gorillas, and the designation Giant Green Gorilla has some
meaning in the rules.

13. The owner of this hat has submitted a proposal that has recieved
exactly two YES votes and no BAA! votes, and the owner of this
eggplant has voted PRESENT on said proposal.

14. The owner of this hat has had a score less than or equal to
negative one million (-1000000) at some point during this cycle.

Ayla:

15. No message posted by the owner of this hat in the Ackanomic, Acka-priv
or Acka-research mailing list in the last 15 days contained any of the
following words: all, ask, be, because, but, game, however, if, just,
like, my, need, only, then, think, want, way.

16. The owner of this hat submited a proposal containing only words with
7 or more letters, and it was accepted.

17. The owner of this hat danced on the Town Hall Steps, wearing this hat,
and described eir dance in a sonnet in iambic pentameter.

H*bert:

18. The wearer of this hat has been On Ice within the last week.

19. The wearer of this hat has at least 50 points more than the holder of
this eggplant.

20. The wearer of this hat has found a treasure since the last cycle win.

Hubert:

21. A prime number of Proposals submitted by the owner of this hat have been 
declared harfy since this hat first became Visible.

22. The wearer of this hat has played a song whose lyrics contain eir name
(Ackanomic name or real name) on the Ackanomic Sound System.

23. The wearer of this hat is the Agent of KAOS.

[ Note: I fully intend to replace Hat #23 with a Silly Agenda Hat, but
apparently I don't get to do this at this stage, only after the bidding
is completed. ]

else...if:

24. The wearer of this hat has not completed the agenda conditions of
any other hat e is wearing.

K 2:

25. It is publicly knowable that the associated conditions of five different
agenda hats, not including hats in the possesion of the owner of this
hat, have become true and remained that way, having previously been
false, while the owner of this hat has been wearing this hat.

26. The owner of this hat is a member of an organization which has as a
member a non-player Entity which has not previously been a member of
that organisation and joined after the owner of this hat became a
member.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Northern Pikes:Secrets of The Alibi
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
I was afraid I'd drown in all that water under the bridge.  --Mayall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 10:21:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: For my Grand Jury

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > I'd like a copy of the videotape of the supposedly illegal stripe
> > ceremony.
> 
> Which type do you want, the non-entity non-regulated by the Rules kind,
> or do you want an actual Trinket?  Same price, but the latter take a
> little longer to produce.
> 

I need the hard evidence which can only come from a Trinket.
Additionally, I'll need a VCR and some editing tools.

I offer A$85 for all of the above.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 13:02:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church Action

> I approve. All active non-vacationing members have approved. It happens.
> Welcome to Metamorph.

Woo hoo! It's a pleasure to be a member.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 14:04:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: apologies

> Sincere heartfelt apologies if I've been bouncing messages back to the
list.
> I've been unavoidably indisposed for the last couple of days and my
mailbox
> filled up.

I'm glad to hear (or read?) from you. :-) I was sort of worried about you,
since you were the one who called everyone to play GPS and then didn't show
up to play. BTW, if you look in the acka-games list, you'll see that I
randomly select your bid card for the first round, but you can still join
us for round 2.

Yours,

Ayla (hoping you are feeling better now)
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Motion:  A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a
*really* good reason to change direction.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 581 (TRUE)

Koxvolio has judged this TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 581- May 03, 1998
Subject: Mis-spelling
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent May 03, 1998, 07:32)
Judge: Koxvolio (selected May 03, 1998, 07:30)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
Proposal 2938 modified rule 340

Initiator's Reasoning:
It all depends on whether 34o can be accepted as an unambiguous spelling
error for 340. In addition to the fact that 0 and o look very similar, they
are also right next to each other on the keyboard. Perhaps the best bit of
evidence that this did indeed do what I wanted it to is that rule 340 is the
only rule in the 340s with a section VII. The relevant sections of rule 340
are this:

"I. The meaning of a word which is unambiguously misspelled will be the same
as if the word had been spelled correctly. 

II. Numbers shall be considered misspelled words for the purposes of the
rules when it can be determined beyond reasonable doubt that a particular
number is in error, and what the intended number is. The intended number is
considered the correct spelling in this case. "

I think it can be determined beyond reasonable doubt which number I was
intending. Therefore rule 340 was modified as I intended by proposal 2938.

Judge's Reasoning:
This is correct. Not only is it quite clear what TGW was talking about,
but the rule has already been changed. Isn't that efficient of breadbox...
:-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 584 (FALSE)

This has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 584- May 04, 1998
Subject: Malenkai
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent May 03, 1998, 22:37)
Judge: The Gingham Wearer (selected May 04, 1998, 11:10)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:
There is currently a player with the Ackanomic name "Malenkai".

Alfvaen's Reasoning:
The Gingham Wearer and Slakko seem to be persuaded of this, so let me
see if I can support their conclusion.

Malenkai posted the following message:

"I exist as described in Rule 252.

The following strings exist in this message as described by Rule 252:
saaremaa
Randy Hall
[email-masked]

saaremaa
Speaker Emeritus
and little else :-)
who is oh so glad e used a treasure"

Rule 252, "Joining the Game", states, on the subject of Returning players:

   I. For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure
   from Ackanomic caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists
   is considered a Returning player. All other players are considered
   New.

Rule 250, "Registered Players", states:
   No matter how many times a person legally registers as a player in
   Ackanomic, that person is always considered the same player. [That is,
   if a player quits and later rejoins, he is considered the same
   player.]

  Therefore it is indisputable, barring questions of email-address
  identity, that Randy Hall is the same player known as Malenkai.
  And thus e is eligible to become a Returning player.  (Though e is
  not a Returning player until e is once again a player.)

Back to Rule 252:
   IV. A person able to join the game as a Returning player may do so by
   posting a public message to that effect. This message must include
   their Ackanomic and real life names, as well as a valid email address.
   The Registrar shall then record their return to the players list.

The ambiguity here is in the meaning of what "their" Ackanomic name is.
So let's look at Rule 251, "Player Names":

   Every player has exactly one Ackanomic name. This name must be a
   string of name characters from two to twenty characters in length.
   Neither the first nor the last character in this string may be the
   space character. All official nomic business shall use this name to
   refer to that player.

   A player may change his Ackanomic name, so long as the new name
   complies with all applicable rules. The Registrar shall record and
   acknowledge each legal name change; a legal name change takes effect
   at the time of the Registrar's acknowledgement, at which time the
   player in question shall pay the standard Harfer Fee. When a player
   changes their Ackanomic name, all Ackanomic business will be changed
   to follow their new name.

Now, is Randy Hall a player?  To return to Rule 250:
   A player is any person who is registered as a player. Players are
   named, unownable entities. No person may register as a player more
   than once concurrently. Anyone is allowed to observe the game and
   participate in discussion of any issue, but no person who is not a
   player may make a proposal, or vote on any proposal, or call for
   judgement, or judge, or score points, or win a cycle. No person who is
   not a player may hold office or have any tasks, duties or
   responsibilities within the game.

After Randy Hall left the game, e was not a player, but an Undead.  This
state of affairs holds until Randy Hall is once again a registered player.
The Rules are silent on the issue of Ackanomic names of non-player
entities, except that by Rule 348, " ":

   No named entity may have a name that matches a former name of any
   current or former player, except that a player may change his name to
   match one that he previously held.

   This Rule defers to other Rules on the matter of whether it is
   permissible for a returning Player to choose, as eir Ackanomic name,
   the same name as an Undead.

I note that it does not seem to be possible for an Undead to possess an
Ackanomic name which matches that of a former player, since Rule 258,
"Undead", is silent on the subject, and Rule 348 makes no special
provisions.  So it appears that in the following section of Rule 252:

   V. Upon the registration of a Returning player, the following
   procedure takes place:

   1) The Undead with that player's Ackanomic name changes from an Undead
   to a player.

This does not work, since it is patently illegal for an Undead with any
player's Ackanomic name to exist.

My conclusion, then, is that it may or may not have been possible for Randy
Hall to have joined under the Ackanomic name "saaremaa" as opposed to eir
former Ackanomic name of "Malenkai".  I find it also highly likely that
despite eir own assertion, saaremaa(or Malenkai) is not Speaker Emeritus,
this being a title bestowed upon a Undead named "Nameless Thing #N" for
some integer N that, as Undead-Harfer, I really don't feel like working
out right now.

Judge's Reasoning:
Rule 256 has this (amongst other things) to say about what happens when a
player leaves the game:

"7) The player ceases to be a player and becomes an Undead. "

I don't think that anyone disputes the fact that Randy Hall (then Malenkai)
previously left the game (in fact I seem to recall numerous CFJs on the
matter without any well defined CotC, which wasn't pretty) and so according
to this rule the player Malenkai should have become an undead. 

Rule 348, however, states this:

"No named entity may have a name that matches a former name of any current or
former player, except that a player may change his name to match one that he
previously held."

Since rule 258 states:

"There exists the class of named, unownable entities known as the Undead."

we seem to have a problem. Since the rule for leaving the game doesn't detail
any name change then we must presume that the undead would still be called
Malenkai. This is where our first problem arises.

Back to rule 348:

"An attempt to do anything that requires a name to be chosen [such as
creating a Trinket or Organization] fails if the chosen name matches a name
already in use."

I note that this specifies only when a name *is chosen*, so rule 256 succeeds
in creating the undead since no names change and neither rule 348 nor 256 has
anything to say about precedence. The undead Malenkai existed, albeit
illegally. (It has been ruled before illegal things such as this can happen,
Malenkai being Justice and Senator and Vulcan owning a scroll of crumble for
example).

That brings us on to rule 252:

"I. For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure from
Ackanomic caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists is
considered a Returning player. All other players are considered New. "

Since Malenkai was inducted into the hall of elders his undead will not
decompose and therefore still exists hence Randy Hall would seem to have been
a returning player.

However, rule 250 states:

"A player is any person who is registered as a player."

I believe we therefore have a problem. Nobody can be considered a returning
player because of the unfortunate use of the word player instead of person
(Randy Hall was not "a player whose most recent departure from Ackanomic
caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists" because he was not a
player).

Since Alfvaen (the Registrar) has not posted a public message announcing
Randy Hall as a new player (which is the procedure necessary for a New player
joining the game) the only conclusion I can reach is that Randy Hall is not a
player in Ackanomic at all. This brings with it the problem that his
proposals were never submitted and the appeal of the CFJ he made never
happened. Such is life, I'm afraid.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 580 (TRUE)

> Although the CotC hasn't said anything yet, I presume this appeal will
> go to ThinMan and myself, since we just recently returned all of our
> pending cases.
> 
> If this is in fact the case, then I am hereby declining to judge this
> appeal.

Whilst I don't believe that this appeal will go to ThinMan and breadbox since
I don't think it was ever appealed this does remind me that I think I've
failed to assign an appeal or two in the past. I'll look over them later
tonight (or possibly tomorrow, before the end of the weekend anyway :-)).

Sorry,
TGW, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 585 (H*bert)

Joe Java has declined. H*bert has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 585- May 04, 1998
Subject: Malenkai part 2
Initiator: Slakko (sent May 04, 1998, 07:32)
Judge: Joe Java (selected May 04, 1998, 11:12) (declined)
Second Judge: H*bert (selected May 06, 1998, 16:19)
Judgement: 

Statement:
The player whose Real Name is Randy Hall has an Ackanomic Name of
Malenkai.

Slakko's Reasoning:
As Rule 252 requires a player returning who is an undead to register with
that name (otherwise they do not become a player), Randy Hall could not
have become a player known as saaremaa without paying the Standard Harfer
Fee to change eir name.  Therefore, eir name is Malenkai.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 583 (AtP)

IdiotBoy has declined. Attila the Pun has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 583- May 03, 1998
Subject: Nyarlathotep
Initiator: H*bert (sent May 03, 1998, 17:25)
Judge: IdiotBoy (selected May 04, 1998, 11:07) (declined)
Second Judge: Atilla the Pun (selected May 06, 1998, 16:22)
Judgement: 

Statement:
 At least one instance of the word "Nyarlathotep" in Rule 594.23/0
(Blueprint: Nyarlathotep) other than the one in the scentence "There
exists an optional Functional Office of Nyarlathotep." refers to either
the functional office or the holder of it.

Initiator's  Reasoning:
 The blueprint states that: "Nyarlathotep is called granting Sanctuary of
Salvation."  This must either apply to the Monster or the Office.  However
if the office is known as Nyarlathotep then there may not _be_ a monster. 
In which case the scentence "If ever a player owns Nyarlathotep then e
will achieve a winning condition. " must refer to the Office.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some sort of Nomination

I have been told that there is some sort of new seat for the Ackan reserve
that I am required to hold an election for. If you want this post then reply
to nominate yourself.

TGW, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:33:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 162 (TRUE)

> I am appealing this CFJ with reasoning as is set out in the next two
> paragraphs:

Before I forget this goes to the Entity formerly known as the Supreme Court.

TGW, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 17:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Herald Election

The nomination period for Herald is over. Nominees are:

JT
Alfvaen

You may reply to vote.

TGW, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 17:41:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 584 (FALSE)

> we seem to have a problem. Since the rule for leaving the game doesn't detail
> any name change then we must presume that the undead would still be called
> Malenkai. This is where our first problem arises.
> 
> Back to rule 348:
> 
> "An attempt to do anything that requires a name to be chosen [such as
> creating a Trinket or Organization] fails if the chosen name matches a name
> already in use."
> 
> I note that this specifies only when a name *is chosen*, so rule 256 succeeds
> in creating the undead since no names change and neither rule 348 nor 256 has
> anything to say about precedence. The undead Malenkai existed, albeit
> illegally. (It has been ruled before illegal things such as this can happen,
> Malenkai being Justice and Senator and Vulcan owning a scroll of crumble for
> example).

Agreed here.  The undead illegally had the name Malenkai, and nothing in
R348 does anything to change it, because nothing attempted to *give* it
the name, it had that name passively since it had it back when it was
a player who legally possessed the name.

> That brings us on to rule 252:
> 
> "I. For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure from
> Ackanomic caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists is
> considered a Returning player. All other players are considered New. "
> 
> Since Malenkai was inducted into the hall of elders his undead will not
> decompose and therefore still exists hence Randy Hall would seem to have been
> a returning player.
> 
> However, rule 250 states:
> 
> "A player is any person who is registered as a player."
> 
> I believe we therefore have a problem. Nobody can be considered a returning
> player because of the unfortunate use of the word player instead of person
> (Randy Hall was not "a player whose most recent departure from Ackanomic
> caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists" because he was not
> a player).

I disagree.  The word "player" in R252 section I refers to the state the
player will have at the moment he becomes a player, just as the later
sections, which don't talk about a "returning player joining the game" but
rather a "person able to join as a returning player."  R252 isn't as clean
as it should be (I think the changes in P2029 were not entirely complete)
but I think it still works, or at least there exists a reaonable
interpretation of the rule which works, which by game custom should be
used over the broken interpretation you chose.

> Since Alfvaen (the Registrar) has not posted a public message announcing
> Randy Hall as a new player (which is the procedure necessary for a New player
> joining the game) the only conclusion I can reach is that Randy Hall is not a
> player in Ackanomic at all. This brings with it the problem that his
> proposals were never submitted and the appeal of the CFJ he made never
> happened. Such is life, I'm afraid.

If this is so, I then wonder how many of his actions could have succeeded
as actions of the undead Malenkai (considering the recent situation with
Bascule).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 18:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald Election

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 18:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 584 (FALSE)

> I disagree.  The word "player" in R252 section I refers to the state the
> player will have at the moment he becomes a player, just as the later
> sections, which don't talk about a "returning player joining the game" but
> rather a "person able to join as a returning player."  R252 isn't as clean
> as it should be (I think the changes in P2029 were not entirely complete)
> but I think it still works, or at least there exists a reaonable
> interpretation of the rule which works, which by game custom should be
> used over the broken interpretation you chose.

The exact text from rule 252 is:

"I. For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure from
Ackanomic caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists is
considered a Returning player. All other players are considered New."

There are no circumstances where anyone can both be a player and have an
undead that still exists. Therefore nobody can be a Returning player. Player
is specifically defined by the rules so I don't think that interpreting it to
mean person can be done.

> > Since Alfvaen (the Registrar) has not posted a public message announcing
> > Randy Hall as a new player (which is the procedure necessary for a New
player
> > joining the game) the only conclusion I can reach is that Randy Hall is
not a
> > player in Ackanomic at all. This brings with it the problem that his
> > proposals were never submitted and the appeal of the CFJ he made never
> > happened. Such is life, I'm afraid.
> 
> If this is so, I then wonder how many of his actions could have succeeded
> as actions of the undead Malenkai (considering the recent situation with
> Bascule).

Not much I shouldn't think. The only actions I can recall him performing are
submitting a couple of proposals and appealing a CFJ. I'd guess that these
are both too well regulated to be performed by a none-player.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 18:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

>Net change +8.15, not +6.3, not even close.
	I'd forgotten about the retraction.  The change was +8.2.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 18:34:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 584 (FALSE)

> Call For Judgement 584- May 04, 1998
> Judgement: FALSE
> 
> Statement:
> There is currently a player with the Ackanomic name "Malenkai".

How can I resist?  I appeal this verdict :-)

saaremaa
got me comin' and goin' :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 22:10:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Church Action

> > I approve. All active non-vacationing members have approved. It happens.
> > Welcome to Metamorph.

> Woo hoo! It's a pleasure to be a member.

Well, _you're_ not a member, so I'm afraid you'll have to state the above
as an Organizational Action to avoid being misinterpreted.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Third Eye Blind
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
Not being clever, Floyd had trouble with Claire's harness

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 22:38:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 584 (FALSE)

> > Call For Judgement 584- May 04, 1998
> > Judgement: FALSE

> > Statement:
> > There is currently a player with the Ackanomic name "Malenkai".

> How can I resist?  I appeal this verdict :-)

Okay.  The problem is, there are two ways that CFJ 584 can be false.
Either the way I believe, that there is a player named "saaremaa", or
the way The Gingham Wearer seems to believe, that Randy Hall failed to
rejoin the game.  So if the judgement is overturned, then Malenkai
definitely exists under that name; if it is upheld, TGW may still be
wrong.

This is my fault for providing a bad CFJ statement, but hopefully the
Supreme Court reasoning will make all clear.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Third Eye Blind
Current Book--Barb Galler-Smith & Josh Langston:Druids
Fred specialized in the job of making very quaint wax toys.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #140
*******************************