Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #135
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest          Sunday, May 3 1998          Volume 03 : Number 135

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 00:10:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: That's just silly

> > As Founder of the Church of Azpiazu, I announce that said Church is
> > transferring the Onyx Vase to Alfvaen, which is to say, me.

> > I am now frinking Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice from Malenkai's Vase.

> I seem very rusty at this game :-)  I do not see any RHG that you
> have access to, though, so I suppose this prolly fails.  Perhaps I
> still need to learn the lay of new webscape, or you can show how you
> have (had) RHG juice.

I was too efficient and removed it from the PE page already.  However,
Rex Mundi played a Grave Robber card on Mr. Lunatic Fringe, and on March
28th it was determined that what e had unearthed therefrom was Right-
Handed Grapefruit Juice.  (The same Juice, if I am not mistaken, that
you auctioned shortly after burying the very same Treasure I am after.)

Furthermore, on March 30th I traded Rex Mundi A$50 for the Juice.  Perhaps
e thought me mad, but who's laughing now?  E is no longer the Mad
Scientist, is e?  Ha ha ha ha ha!

So that was my Juice.  After having aided Slakko in eir cycle win, I thought
to get some from em, but it took too long for it to be decided and then eir
gratitude was not all it cracked up to be.  So I was forced to barter on
the market of capitalism.  But I got it!  I got it!  And now it has been
<insert past participle of frink> by me!

(Note: ran across character named "Malenkova", female wizard, in C.J. Cherryh
book recently.  Coincidence??? Or Conspiracy???)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Shriekback:The Infinite
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Neutrinos have mass?  I didn't know they were Catholic.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 00:21:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Player (breadbox)

As threatened^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpromised, Ricardo Peres da Silva
<[email-masked]> has asked to join Ackanomic, under the name
UglyBigNose, and as a voting player.  While he of course has blamed his
sister, she has already informed me that she does not wish to be his
mentor, so is not an official Sponsor by the Rules.  Thus, breadbox has
been assigned as eir mentor.

We've heard so much about you...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Neil Young:Violent Side
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
It is the big fight to _stop eating the damn menu_.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 00:37:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's Go a Duelling (Koxvolio v TGW)

> To this end, e has decided that the contest shall take place on the holy
> battlefield of Ye Olde Rusty Lantern.  If no uninvolved party volunteers
> to referee within a day or so, I shall do so.  Even if I must be the
> Bartender, Acka may count on my impartiality and sense of Fair Play.  I
> am of the Good ilk, and not prone to cheating.

I would be happy to Bartend this.  Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will have
a deck organized and play may start in earnest.  (Who's playing again?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Shriekback:The Infinite
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Throw caution to the wind!  Or is that a tornado?  Uh-oh...  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 03:50:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That's just silly

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Sorry - my mistake there.  On further examination, no player called
> > saaremaa exists.  The procedure for Returning players converts the undead
> > _with_that_name_ into a player, and does not make a new player.  So
> > despite saaremaa's registration, there is still an undead called Malenkai,
> > and no player called saaremaa.
> 
> That depends on whether or not the creation of the returning player rests
> on the transformation of the Undead, or their becoming "registered".
> 
> Also, I believe that it is illegal for an Undead named Malenkai(or, for
> that matter, Red Barn or mr cwm)to exist by Rule 348.

Yes, but it still happens.  Rule 252 makes the player become an Undead.
It provides no mechanism for changing its name.  Likewise, Rule 348
provides no mechanism for changing the name of an object illegally
violating these restrictions.  Rule 252 takes precedence over 348 in a
conflict, thereby allowing the Undead to initially have the name of the
Player (as there is no change of name given in Rule 252).  Once this
happens, nothing in Rule 348 details what name change must occur, and so
the name, albeit an illegal one, still stays.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 04:12:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stripe

Today it is once again time to celebrate a very stripey achievement.
Alfvaen, Speaker of Ackanomic, has once again reached a rather round Blue
Cross Rank, this time 120.  Only one other player in the history of the
game has achieved such a rank before.  Your gold and silver stripes
reflect in the eyes of those you pass, blinding them with the brilliance
of your proposals.

This stripe comes only a short while after the last one, being the result
of 10 uninterrupted accepted proposals, continuing your unbeaten streak to
an astounding 23 accepted proposals since your last rejection.  How do you
do it?  (And how are we supposed to catch you?)

Alfvaen, I present you with this Silver Stripe.  Wear it in good harf.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 04:27:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> Did I eever do zis? I cen't remembeer.
> 
> Vell: It's alive! Nyarlathotep IS ALIVE!
> 
> I rezign ez Mad Zientizt.

The FM Nyarlathotep was never created, because its name conflicted with
that of an existing Office, the Optional Functional Office of
Nyarlathotep.  Hence by Rule 348, which overrides Rule 597, it was illegal
for any entity to possess the name Nyarlathotep.

So who was the last player to legally get possession of a Frankenstein
Monster?  Was it the player who provided the last bit for Valaraukar, or
what?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 05:54:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Proposal 2920: Tidying up

> Actually, TGW got "I Opposed P2241 #1", and K 2 got the Wool Sweater.

Fine I offer my Wool Sweater to Rex Mundi . (tradeable so e has to accept)

The OiCoRT oviously needs to retrain eir dice ;)

> If you're leaving, then what happens to the action you suggested?

The org rules don't say anything about a player's suggestion being 'distroyed'
or removed from consideration or what ever, so I assume it is still up for
voting....

> > Shell#1-9 are now VSO and may not own A$.
> > * Shell#1-9 each transfer A$25 to Slakko
> > * Shell#1-9 each transfer A$25 to else...if
>
> Ooh, that's a sneaky trick.  :-)

Yup :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:41:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's Go a Duelling (Koxvolio v TGW)

> > To this end, e has decided that the contest shall take place on the holy
> > battlefield of Ye Olde Rusty Lantern.  If no uninvolved party volunteers
> > to referee within a day or so, I shall do so.  Even if I must be the
> > Bartender, Acka may count on my impartiality and sense of Fair Play.  I
> > am of the Good ilk, and not prone to cheating.
> 
> I would be happy to Bartend this.  Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will have
> a deck organized and play may start in earnest.  (Who's playing again?)

Shall we rope in the seconds? Or is it just TGW and I...

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:48:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re: Proposal 2920: Tidying up

> Actually, TGW got "I Opposed P2241 #1", and K 2 got the Wool Sweater.

How handy that I got this just when I needed it for that duel. Anyhow I give
this back to Rex Mundi now.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:48:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 581 (Koxvolio)

Koxvolio has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 581- May 03, 1998
Subject: Mis-spelling
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent May 03, 1998, 07:32)
Judge: Koxvolio (selected May 03, 1998, 07:30)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Proposal 2938 modified rule 340

Initiator's Reasoning:
It all depends on whether 34o can be accepted as an unambiguous spelling
error for 340. In addition to the fact that 0 and o look very similar, they
are also right next to each other on the keyboard. Perhaps the best bit of
evidence that this did indeed do what I wanted it to is that rule 340 is the
only rule in the 340s with a section VII. The relevant sections of rule 340
are this:

"I. The meaning of a word which is unambiguously misspelled will be the same
as if the word had been spelled correctly. 

II. Numbers shall be considered misspelled words for the purposes of the
rules when it can be determined beyond reasonable doubt that a particular
number is in error, and what the intended number is. The intended number is
considered the correct spelling in this case. "

I think it can be determined beyond reasonable doubt which number I was
intending. Therefore rule 340 was modified as I intended by proposal 2938.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:48:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 580 (JT)

JT has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 580- May 03, 1998
Subject: Invalid?
Initiator: Slakko (sent May 03, 1998, 03:21)
Judge: JT (selected May 03, 1998, 07:30)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Proposal 2936 was never declared invalid and removed from voting
consideration, and nor was it retracted.

Slakko's Reasoning:
Pandora never retracted Proposal 2936.  While it may appear to have been
similar to Proposal 2928, at no stage was the opinion of a judge asked
for.  Therefore, as Rule 309 says that the proposals must be substantially
similar "in the judgement of a judge to adjudicate such matters", and no
such judge has been chosen because no such CFJ has been submitted,
Proposal 2936 is not invalid.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 07:50:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's Go a Dueling (Koxvolio v TGW)

> Shall we rope in the seconds? Or is it just TGW and I...

I'm pretty sure that it's just the two of us.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 09:02:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Astro" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions

I create a trinket named "Twenty dollars" valued A$20. I auction it. The
minimum bid is A$5. I am at this moment declaring it to be a Shubik auction.
There. I am done declaring it as a Shubik auction.

- -- Astro
I cannot think of a self-referential .sig to put here.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 09:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frink Hearing

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Rule 1199 requires me to call a hearing on what the preterit of the
> word "frink" shall be.
> 
> The valid results for this Hearing are the following: "frank", "frinked",
> "frought", "knirf".
> 
> Other suggestions may be submitted as well, and in case of a tie they
> will be put into consideration on the next round.
> 
 BAA!^W 

 "knirf"

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:03:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Sat, 2 May 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:
> 
> > Did I eever do zis? I cen't remembeer.
> > 
> > Vell: It's alive! Nyarlathotep IS ALIVE!
> > 
> > I rezign ez Mad Zientizt.
> 
> The FM Nyarlathotep was never created, because its name conflicted with
> that of an existing Office, the Optional Functional Office of
> Nyarlathotep.  Hence by Rule 348, which overrides Rule 597, it was illegal
> for any entity to possess the name Nyarlathotep.
> 
 No!  I am Nyarlathotep!

> So who was the last player to legally get possession of a Frankenstein
> Monster?  Was it the player who provided the last bit for Valaraukar, or
> what?

 Me!  Myself!

 Nyarlathotep.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:10:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Preservation Declaration

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > As Archivist, I am issuing a Preservation Declaration on the following
> > possessions:
> 
> > The Purple Key to the Vault
> > The Chartreuse Key to the Vault
> > The Gold Key to the Vault
> > The Bronze Key to the Vault
> 
> > I am also chiding Alfvaen for changing the P/E page to once again include
> > these entities halfway through my proposal's voting period.  Bad
> > Financier! No treat for you!
> 
 Can someone else please publically object to this whilst I but together a
proposal to use the Keys...

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:25:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Preservation Declaration

>> > As Archivist, I am issuing a Preservation Declaration on the following
>> > possessions:
>>
>> > The Purple Key to the Vault
>> > The Chartreuse Key to the Vault
>> > The Gold Key to the Vault
>> > The Bronze Key to the Vault
>>
>> > I am also chiding Alfvaen for changing the P/E page to once again include
>> > these entities halfway through my proposal's voting period.  Bad
>> > Financier! No treat for you!
>>
> Can someone else please publically object to this whilst I but together a
>proposal to use the Keys...
	I object to this as well.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 12:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

>  No!  I am Nyarlathotep!

You are not Nyarlathotep.  You are the Nyarlathotep.

>  Me!  Myself!

You hold the Office of Nyarlathotep.  You do not own a Frankenstein
Monster named Nyarlathotep.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 13:31:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (breadbox)

> As threatened^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpromised, Ricardo Peres da Silva
> <[email-masked]> has asked to join Ackanomic, under the name
> UglyBigNose, and as a voting player.  While he of course has blamed his
> sister, she has already informed me that she does not wish to be his
> mentor, so is not an official Sponsor by the Rules.  Thus, breadbox has
> been assigned as eir mentor.

Why not?? The Rules say I have to previously notify the Registar (which I
did) and that the New Player must mention my name when e submits eir name
(which e did). The Rules say I'll be the first choice of Mentor, not that I
ought to be a Mentor in order to be a Sponsor. I want my Trinket, otherwise
I'll have a CFJ! :-( Bad, bad, bad Registar!

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Motion:  A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a
*really* good reason to change direction.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 14:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mentoring pool

Please place me in the list of players willing to mentor new players

(I couldn't find anywhere that let me do this privately, so I will do so
publically).

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 15:45:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Preservation Declaration

>  Can someone else please publically object to this whilst I but together a
> proposal to use the Keys...

Can I ask why you want to use the keys rather than just create something new?

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:01:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's Go a Duelling (Koxvolio v TGW)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> > > To this end, e has decided that the contest shall take place on the holy
> > > battlefield of Ye Olde Rusty Lantern.  If no uninvolved party volunteers
> > > to referee within a day or so, I shall do so.  Even if I must be the
> > > Bartender, Acka may count on my impartiality and sense of Fair Play.  I
> > > am of the Good ilk, and not prone to cheating.
> > 
> > I would be happy to Bartend this.  Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will have
> > a deck organized and play may start in earnest.  (Who's playing again?)
> 
> Shall we rope in the seconds? Or is it just TGW and I...

Well, YORL doesn't make a provision for scoring in terms of two teams of
two.  In fact, it states explicitly that there are only two benches if
it's being played as a Duel.  I do think it would be a lot more fun with
four people, (and of course I'd love to butt in) but there'd probably need
to be some tweaks made to the rules for YORL.  

For example, a scoring system is needed.  It could be as simple as "the
side of the winning Bard has won the Duel," or "when the story is over,
the side with the least cards ["least" to tick off H*bert] wins."  Any
other suggestions?

Oh, and thanks, Alfvaen, for volunteering to referee a Duel that may well
challenge the Hubert vs. Goldenmean fiasco for length.

(Now there's an idea: dueling Duels.)

- -Hubert

Jurassic Park 2 is even scarier than the original: they bring back 
Richard Nixon. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's Go a Duelling (Koxvolio v TGW)

> Well, YORL doesn't make a provision for scoring in terms of two teams of
> two.  In fact, it states explicitly that there are only two benches if
> it's being played as a Duel.  I do think it would be a lot more fun with
> four people, (and of course I'd love to butt in) but there'd probably need
> to be some tweaks made to the rules for YORL.  

> For example, a scoring system is needed.  It could be as simple as "the
> side of the winning Bard has won the Duel," or "when the story is over,
> the side with the least cards ["least" to tick off H*bert] wins."  Any
> other suggestions?

I think the first would make more sense.

I don't know if the Rules would prohibit collaborative YORL play, if two
players were to jointly write one Bard's plays, for instance...

> Oh, and thanks, Alfvaen, for volunteering to referee a Duel that may well
> challenge the Hubert vs. Goldenmean fiasco for length.

Hey, I was planning on Barkeeping the next YORL game anyway.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Earth, Wind & Fire:System of Survival
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:14:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Proposal 2920: Tidying up

>Fine I offer my Wool Sweater to Rex Mundi . (tradeable so e has to >accept)
>
I accept.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 19:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Preservation Declaration

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> >  Can someone else please publically object to this whilst I but together a
> > proposal to use the Keys...
> 
> Can I ask why you want to use the keys rather than just create something new?
> 
 a) There is one (Silver, not under the declaration) in a treasure.
 b) They are already helpfully owned, and it'll save the OiCoRT a bit of
work...

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 19:17:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> The FM Nyarlathotep was never created, because its name conflicted with
> that of an existing Office, the Optional Functional Office of
> Nyarlathotep.  Hence by Rule 348, which overrides Rule 597, it was illegal
> for any entity to possess the name Nyarlathotep.

What FM Nyarlathotep?  Nyarlathotep is called granting Sanctuary of
Salvation.

> So who was the last player to legally get possession of a Frankenstein
> Monster?  Was it the player who provided the last bit for Valaraukar, or
> what?

else...if took possession of Valaraukar before you inadvertently killed em
by destroying eir Blueprint.  (Uh, Valaraukar's blueprint, not
else...if's.)

If Slakko is correct on this matter, we probably need a way to prevent
this from happening again.  (Besides repealing the damn things, Slakko.
:-) Should R597 automatically append a "There exists a Frankenstein
Monster called <name>" before each FM blueprint?  Would that even help,
since later sentences take precedence over earlier within a Rule?

- -Hubert

Jurassic Park 2 is even scarier than the original: they bring back 
Richard Nixon. 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 19:41:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Campaign Promises

If anyone else who voted for Slakko wants one of eir Campaign Promise
trinkets, let me know (and say my name publically) and I'll give you one.
Otherwise I'm going to give them back in a day or two, because I'm sick of
being eir unwitting pawn.  Well, OK, witting pawn.  All right, willing
accomplice.  But the point stands: the little joke has somewhat outlived
its usefulness (although did I remember K 2 mentioning jailing Slakko for
lexical equivalency?) and humor.  So if you want one, let me know.  Should
I stay or should I go.

- -Hubert

If Jesus laughed while drinking water, would wine come out his nose? 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 20:31:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: BPH (was Re: acka: Nyarlathotep)

>this from happening again.  (Besides repealing the damn things, Slakko.
>:-) Should R597 automatically append a "There exists a Frankenstein
^^^

I am calling a Bracket Pedantry Hearing against Hubert (damn!) for the above
quoted message.

I am the Grand High Pedant in Chief for this hearing. Reply to vote.

The valid responses:
"It seemed perfectly correct to me"
"It was obviously in violation!".

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 20:38:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: BPH (was Re: acka: Nyarlathotep)

>>this from happening again.  (Besides repealing the damn things, Slakko.
>>:-) Should R597 automatically append a "There exists a Frankenstein
>^^^
>
>I am calling a Bracket Pedantry Hearing against Hubert (damn!) for the above
>quoted message.
>
>I am the Grand High Pedant in Chief for this hearing. Reply to vote.
>
>The valid responses:
>"It was obviously in violation!".
	My EBS too.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 20:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: BPH (was Re: acka: Nyarlathotep)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Towsner wrote:

> >The valid responses:
> "It was obviously in violation!".
> 	My EBS too.

I am calling a Public Health Emergency against else...if for this message.
I believe I am now the Undergraduate Med Student since K 2's "Discount the
Count" proposal passed.  Reply to this message to vote.  

Valid responses are
"Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!"
and
"No, e, uh, meant to do that."

- -Hubert

If Jesus laughed while drinking water, would wine come out his nose? 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:24:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

>If Slakko is correct on this matter, we probably need a way to prevent
>this from happening again.  (Besides repealing the damn things, Slakko.
>:-) Should R597 automatically append a "There exists a Frankenstein
>Monster called <name>" before each FM blueprint?  Would that even help,
>since later sentences take precedence over earlier within a Rule?

I am calling a Bracket Pedantry Hearing on this message. I believe I am
the Grand High Pedant-in-Chief (or whatever) for this hearing.  Reply to
vote.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: BPH

Oops. It seems that my last attempt to do this failed, as I did not
name the player upon whom I called the Hearing. I am calling a
Bracket Pedantry Hearing on Hubert for the following text:

>If Slakko is correct on this matter, we probably need a way to prevent
>this from happening again.  (Besides repealing the damn things, Slakko.
>:-)

Reply to vote.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

> Today it is once again time to celebrate a very stripey achievement.
> Alfvaen, Speaker of Ackanomic, has once again reached a rather round Blue
> Cross Rank, this time 120.  Only one other player in the history of the
> game has achieved such a rank before.  Your gold and silver stripes
> reflect in the eyes of those you pass, blinding them with the brilliance
> of your proposals.

This is all very nice, but I can't manage to find 110 accepted Proposals.
And I just recounted my list(and I believe it matches up item-for-item
with yours).

> This stripe comes only a short while after the last one, being the result
> of 10 uninterrupted accepted proposals, continuing your unbeaten streak to
> an astounding 23 accepted proposals since your last rejection.  How do you
> do it?  (And how are we supposed to catch you?)

We'll see if "Norgrindly" interrupts my streak or not.  If not, maybe I'll
try /dev/joe's trick and see if people will vote me A$5000.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble:In Step
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
And that's why I had to kill them all.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:29:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: Oops!

That'll teach me not to read all my mail before doing stuff.

If it is possible to do so, I retract my BPH.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

> I create a trinket named "Twenty dollars" valued A$20. I auction it. The
> minimum bid is A$5. I am at this moment declaring it to be a Shubik auction.
> There. I am done declaring it as a Shubik auction.

You do realize that in a Shubik auction the Chief Cheese does not get
the value of both bids, and the second highest goes to the Treasury?
Fairly sure that's how it worked last time I saw one of these...

Also the trinket has no description, so does not exist, and cannot be
auctioned.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble:In Step
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Everytime a mousetrap snaps, an angel is set on fire.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:32:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (breadbox)

> Why not?? The Rules say I have to previously notify the Registar (which I
> did) and that the New Player must mention my name when e submits eir name
> (which e did). The Rules say I'll be the first choice of Mentor, not that I
> ought to be a Mentor in order to be a Sponsor. I want my Trinket, otherwise
> I'll have a CFJ! :-( Bad, bad, bad Registar!

I'm sorry.  I thought you were saying you didn't want to be a Sponsor,
but all you were saying was that you didn't want to be Mentor.  I hadn't
read the Rule closely enough to know that you could be Sponsor and not
Mentor.  Bad, bad, bad Registrar!  I thwap myself with the Salmon of
Correction.  Your trinkets will be ready shortly.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble:In Step
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Sometimes, no matter what your religion, you have to say oy vey.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:34:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Campaign Promises

> If anyone else who voted for Slakko wants one of eir Campaign Promise
> trinkets, let me know (and say my name publically) and I'll give you one.

Well, why not? I voted for him, anyway. I want my Trinket, Hubert, please!

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Motion:  A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a
*really* good reason to change direction.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:35:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Enigma

Enigma has informed me that e no longer wishes to play Ackanomic, and
apologizes for any inconvenience.  E is thus removed from the game.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble:In Step
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Maybe it's just the _idea_ of an inflatable rubber starship that bothers me.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #135
*******************************