Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #132
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest          Friday, May 1 1998          Volume 03 : Number 132

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 04:11:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: declaration of faith

I should like to join the Church of The Good Ballot Stuffer.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 04:15:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ's 578 and 579

JT:
>These two CFJ's argue opposite sides of the same issue.  In the interests of
>not clogging up the works, I retract CFJ 579 so that the question only
>needs to be answered once.

Thank you. I was just wondering what would happen if we both voted the same
way. Could have been nasty.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 04:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Expedition

I am announcing the start of an Expedition. You have three days to
announce your desire to take part. Entry cost is $A40.

The following treasures are Historical Artifacts:

T117: Jammer: Model of what might have been Jmmer's Butler (value A$10)
T128: fnord: Elves (value A$23)
T129: Jammer: Great Treasure Finder prosthetic forehead
T133: Ackers: Tube Top of Kyle Bannor (value A$50)
T147: Habeous Corpus: the Wouf Houng (value A$1) (along with an
undisclosed second item)

(Malenkai (25/2/98), Red Barn (31/3/98) and snowgod (11/4/98) haven't
been gone long enough to have eir treasures count....)

Don't all rush in at once ;)

K 2
A minimum of A$80 to retrieve A$ 94 worth? I suppose if it were all 
donated to the museum it would be worth $A 119.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 04:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Discovery

The following (OUTLAW delimited) text is a discovery describing the
behaviour of a gadget called "Finger of Justice":

OUTLAW
A Finger of Justice is a life-size replica of the index finger from the
left hand of the Brass Monkey. It exists in three mutually exclusive
states: inactive, active and quiescent. When created it is in the
inactive state.

The owner of an inactive Finger of Justice may as a public action
activate it, describing as e does so an unregulated action that has not
previously constituted a Crime. While a Finger of Justice remains active
the action described when it was activated, shall constitute the Crime
of Being a Fugitive From Justice.

A Finger of Justice enters the quiescent state after it has been active
for one week or when a CFCJ is distributed that states that the Crime of
Being a Fugitive From Justice has been committed, which ever is longer.

A Finger of Justice becomes inactive when all CFCJs submitted while it
was active, alleging that the Crime of Being a Fugitive From Justice has
been committed, have become unappealable. If it was found that no player
committed the Crime of Being a Fugitive From Justice during a Finger of
Justice's most recent active phase then the owner of the Finger of
Justice shall be guilty of the Crime of Being a Fugitive From Justice
otherwise they shall have a 10% chance of receiving a random Boon of the
Ancients.

It is Illegal to destroy or bury as a treasure an active or quiescent
Finger of Justice.
OUTLAW

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 05:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Good Ballot Stuffer

As Archaeologist I am going to start building a Good Ballot Stuffer . It
will be complete in 3 days.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 07:10:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: political allegiance

I hereby announce my desire to become a member of HARF.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 09:59:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Movements

> I am leaving snowgod's beach cottage and going back to my land at b7 on   
> the map.  I see that my house is dangling.  I hereby request help in   
> reattaching my house if it is possible to reattach.

Well, Vynd has a Gravitational Monopole, and /dev/joe is the
Ackaphysicist...  And Slakko has an Electrolux if it somehow gets
detached.  breadbox and /dev/joe also have Wings, as well as Niccolo
Flychuck(vacationing), Karma(non-voting), and two-star(eternally
Pending).  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Cure:Just Like Heaven
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
The illegal smuggling of mimes... nobody talks about it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 10:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Red Alert

> UglyBigNose (can you believe the name e has chosen?), e *really* enjoys
> trouble. E doesn't care about scoring, and money, and titles, all e wants
> to do is become a Crazy French-Scotsman, be engaged in duels, vote Bah! for
> proposals, appeal judgements, say that other players' trinkets are lame,
> and other things like that.

Well, it's been pretty quiet since Red Barn left...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Cure:Just Like Heaven
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
The purpose of technology is to make our computers work like the ones in the movies.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 10:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Expedition

I announce my intent to join the expedition and pay the A$40.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 12:52:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Herald.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
step down and let's have an election :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:01:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 162 (rufus)

Alfvaen wrote:

> >Embarrassingly enough, I have deadbeated. I now remove myself from the CFJ
> >ineligibility list. rufus has been selected.
> 
> Shouldn't this then go to me as Praetor?

and then Hubert wrote:

> I do not think this is a valid CFCJ; Rule 710 has a double jeopardy clause
> that should defang both this and 163.

Yes in the first case, quite possibly in the second. I'm forgetting things at
a rate of knots at the moment (in a maths test the other day I managed to
completely forget the quadratic formula and almost managed to forget
Pythagoras' theorem). Alfvaen is correct though. If this exists then e should
be judging it. Forget I said anything else.

TGW, hoping the 3 day bank holiday break will do him good.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:11:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 575 (TRUE)

I am appealing this, reasoning follows.

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Rex Mundi judged TRUE, four days ago. Sorry.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 575- April 21, 1998
> Subject: Witch hunts
> Initiator: Slakko (sent April 21, 1998, 11:55)
> Judge: Rex Mundi (selected April 22, 1998, 11:21)
> Judgement: TRUE
> 
> Statement:
> K 2 is not Enlightened.
> 
> Reasoning:
> Rule 1307 only allows witchhunts when a player publicly refers to the
> earth being round.  K 2 referred to the earth being banna.  There is no
> proof in favour of or against the idea that banna-shaped is round, so we
> cannot say that calling something banna-shaped is referring to it being
> round.  K 2 did not say that Black is or is not a colour, and hence no
> witchhunt could have been called on em.  Hence e was not Burned as a
> Heretic, and hence e is not Enlightened.
> 
> Judge's Reasoning:
> I concur with the initiator's reasoning.
> 

Appeal Reasoning:

I do not follow the initiator's reasoning on this matter.  The rule
does indeed say that Witchhunts may be called if a player publicly refers
to the Earth being round.  But it then provides for a hearing, the
purpose of which is to DETERMINE if the message in question did indeed
refer to the Earth being round.

Who is Slakko, or any other individual, to say that banna are not round,
and that saying the Earth is banna shaped is not the same as calling it
round? He is not empowered by the rules to draw such conclusions.  The
Witchhunt Hearing is the only method which the rules give us for
determining what constitutes a reference to something being round.

The idea that Witchhunts can be called on messages which do not state
outright "The Earth is Round" is well rooted in game custom.  The first
Witchhunt ever was called on the statement "The earth is... square?"
Another Witchhunt was called on an attempt to repeal then Rule 729
Ackanomic Middle Ages.  There are many similar examples.  This is the only
game custom I am aware of on what constitues a reference to roundness, and
what it seems to tell us is that a reference to roundness is whatever a
Witchhunt says it is.  Thus the Witchhunt called on K 2 was valid, he
burned like the foul witch that he was, and now he stands as an upright
and Enlightened member of the community.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:25:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 575 (TRUE)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> Who is Slakko, or any other individual, to say that banna are not
round,
> and that saying the Earth is banna shaped is not the same as calling it
> round? 

banna is not round!  banna is not flat! banna is banna!

rufus
founder, banna, Church of

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:03:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Sphere project

I donate A$ 20 to the Great Sphere Probe Project.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:27:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal retraction

Damn.. Huberted again :)  I retract prop 2964 if it hasn't already been
judged illegal due to the fact that it duplicates (at least in intent
and effect if not wording) the recent proposal by K 2.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Tidying Up

Pursuant to rule 1010, I suggest that the Matress surrender its Secret Lab
to the Treasury.

That happens.

As a result, the Matress receives A$ 975 from the Treasury, which, according
to R1003, the Matress may not own.  According to rule 1010, then, those A$
are divided among the Matress' members, who consist of: ThinMan.

Another A$ 50 which at one time belonged to the Matress were previously
divided among ThinMan, but this does not appear to have been harfed, yet..

Probably some other org possessions (of other orgs) were also redistributed.

I give A$ 200 to the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer.

I now suggest that the Matress disband.

That happens.

Wheeeeee!

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:42:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Harf

Didn't IdiotBoy recently declare several proposals Harfy?  Did any of them
pass?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

> Didn't IdiotBoy recently declare several proposals Harfy?  Did any
> of them pass?

Yes, as a matter of fact, you ThinMan were the Harfmeister for all of
maybe ten minutes before Alfvaen took the title away from you.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

>Yes, as a matter of fact, you ThinMan were the Harfmeister for all of
>maybe ten minutes before Alfvaen took the title away from you.

I thought so.  My very first ever Harfy proposal, which even passes, and
that busybody Alfvaen comes in and lifts the Crown of Harf off my head
before I even get used to the weight.  Rats.

ThinMan
They've all been Harfy, really, they just didn't get the official seal
stamped on them.  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

> > Didn't IdiotBoy recently declare several proposals Harfy?  Did any
> > of them pass?
> 
> Yes, as a matter of fact, you ThinMan were the Harfmeister for all of
> maybe ten minutes before Alfvaen took the title away from you.

This is how I remember the recent history of Harf:

IdiotBoy declared 3 proposals Harfy including my Bolivian Navy one and your
EBS v. GBS one.
My Bolivian Navy one passed and so I became Harfmeister.
I announced a couple of proposals harfy including Alfvaen's heraldry one.
Your EBS v. GBS one passed so you became Harfmeister.
Alfvaen's heraldry proposal passed making him Harfmeister.

TGW, 4 time Harfmeister.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:59:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: declaration of faith

> I should like to join the Church of The Good Ballot Stuffer.
> 
> Pandora

With good grace I accept Pandora into the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.

TGW, founder of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

>> Yes, as a matter of fact, you ThinMan were the Harfmeister for all of
>> maybe ten minutes before Alfvaen took the title away from you.
> 
> I thought so.  My very first ever Harfy proposal, which even passes, and
> that busybody Alfvaen comes in and lifts the Crown of Harf off my head
> before I even get used to the weight.

And rightly so! You're a fine one to complain. Why, during your entire
time as Harfmeister you didn't make a single proposal harfy! Not one!

Why, if I hadn't been so busy tabulating at the time, I would have
called for a hearing.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
> newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
> step down and let's have an election :)
> --JT

Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
painted all over it' in Heraldic?

J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:22:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>> I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
>> newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
>> step down and let's have an election :)
>> --JT
> 
> Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
> have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
> painted all over it' in Heraldic?

Well, that depends. What is their color? the color of their claws?
What are their positions (both with respect to the shield, and the
positions they are depicted in)? This data is precisely what blazonry
is supposed to communicate.

Kittens themselves are just called kittens, by the way - there is no
heraldic term for them. In fact, my own heraldic glossary has only
this to say on felines:

   CAT: The domestic animal is seldom borne in coat-armor, but the
   wild-cat or cat-a-mountain occurs frequently. It is always borne
   guardant or full-faced.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>> I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
>> newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
>> step down and let's have an election :)
>> --JT
>
>Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
>have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
>painted all over it' in Heraldic?

In the most basic form, a coat of arms defines a color for the 'background',
and what is on the device and in what color.

For instance (and I'll use english colors here just for clarity).
A red shield with 9 golden kittens would be something like

Red, overall 9 kittens gold, arranged 3, 3, 3.

You can also specify other details.  Formal heraldry has quite a few
rules which are not obvious unless it's looked into :)
There are also a few shareware programs for the Windows PC which allow
people to play around with simple heraldry.

The two I'm most familiar with (and which I play with now and again) are
Blazon32 (v1.0)
   http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ph/research/tc/fincham/blazon/blazon.htm
Blazons!95 (v3.0)
   http://www.blazons.com/download.htm

Hopefully these will give someone a place to start :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:35:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>> Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
>> have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
>> painted all over it' in Heraldic?
>
>Well, that depends. What is their color? the color of their claws?
>>What are their positions (both with respect to the shield, and the
>positions they are depicted in)? This data is precisely what blazonry
>is supposed to communicate.

And here we get into the details which I glossed over in my previous
response.   I believe (I might be misremembering :) that if the facing
is not specified, it's either full on, or dexter. (facing right).
I know that if the claws aren't specified, they are the color of the
charge itself (a charge is a generic term for an emblem on a coat of
arms).
There also rules as to what colors may touch other colors and so
on.

My recommendation would be for anyone who wanted to create a coat of
arms to look at the two programs I mentioned earlier, and do a little
bit of research on the web into heraldry.  The rules of herladry are
fairly easy to understand in the general.

Also, if you have specific question, it sound like there are at least
three of us here who understand heraldry, and the Herald should always
be willing to help people out :) (not required, just a good idea)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:36:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

>> I thought so.  My very first ever Harfy proposal, which even passes, and
>> that busybody Alfvaen comes in and lifts the Crown of Harf off my head
>> before I even get used to the weight.
>
>And rightly so! You're a fine one to complain. Why, during your entire
>time as Harfmeister you didn't make a single proposal harfy! Not one!
>
>Why, if I hadn't been so busy tabulating at the time, I would have
>called for a hearing.

:-)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> My recommendation would be for anyone who wanted to create a coat of
> arms to look at the two programs I mentioned earlier, and do a little
> bit of research on the web into heraldry.  The rules of herladry are
> fairly easy to understand in the general.
> 
> Also, if you have specific question, it sound like there are at least
> three of us here who understand heraldry, and the Herald should always
> be willing to help people out :) (not required, just a good idea)

Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on it
represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with something with a
meaning though.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:48:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> My recommendation would be for anyone who wanted to create a coat of
> arms to look at the two programs I mentioned earlier, and do a little
> bit of research on the web into heraldry.  The rules of herladry are
> fairly easy to understand in the general.

True, although I wouldn't recommend trying to create the blazon (the
verbal description) without an actual reference book, as the rules for
blazonry are more involved, and very strict.

> Also, if you have specific question, it sound like there are at least
> three of us here who understand heraldry, and the Herald should always
> be willing to help people out :) (not required, just a good idea)

I would certainly be willing to help people out, although I presumed
that this would really be the Herald's job.

breadbox
considering submitting "Or, a gorges wavy purpure" just be annoying

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:56:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on it
>represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with something with a
>meaning though.

Hmm.. Depends.  There is some signifigance to various charges, and
to things like batons sinister, etc (the latter is usually a cadet line
or an illigitimate line) of a house..  I'm not aware of any meaning to a
Penguin on a red and white checkered shield though.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:04:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on
> it represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with
> something with a meaning though.

With a few exceptions, heraldic emblems have no intrinsic meaning or
encoded significance. (I know a bar sinister has been used to indicate
an illegitimate birth, an an example of one exception.)

There was apparently a brief movement in 16th century England to give
meanings to certain combinations of tinctures and such, but it was
never popular and died very quickly.

breadbox

PS: "Chequy argent and sanguine, a penguin proper"?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>True, although I wouldn't recommend trying to create the blazon (the
>verbal description) without an actual reference book, as the rules for
>blazonry are more involved, and very strict.

Yes.. Anyone who wants to be Herald, should at least be able to understand
and write blazonry based on a slightly more lenient description :)
(this is one of the reasons I suggested that Alfvaen make this office
functional instead of political :)

>> Also, if you have specific question, it sound like there are at least
>> three of us here who understand heraldry, and the Herald should always
>> be willing to help people out :) (not required, just a good idea)
>
>I would certainly be willing to help people out, although I presumed
>that this would really be the Herald's job.

Well, nothing in the rule makes it the Herald's job, but I had also 
assumed he'd be available for help (and if the election happens, and
I get the Ofice, i most certainly will).

>breadbox
>considering submitting "Or, a gorges wavy purpure" just be annoying

Actually, given current Ackanomic definitions of colors, that wouldn't
be quite legal :) (I'm contemplating a herladry rule suite which contains
at least the most common rules of herladry and blazon, and which relys
on the color rule for what are valid colors (or tinctures in heraldry)).
By embedding the rules into Acka's ruleset, we can as required by the
changes to the game, change the rules of herladry that we use away from
those used in the real world.  I suspect they would stay substantially
similar however, but this would give us a way within the game to
prevent outrageous abuses of blazon :)  Anywy.. enough rambling :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:16:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Let's Go a Duelling (Koxvolio v TGW)

On behalf of His Extreme Holiness Koxvolio the Only, I, Slakko, Priest of
the Church to the Evil Ballot Stuffer, do serve notice upon The Gingham
Wearer, heretic leader of the Church of the *ptooey* that eir presence is
requested on the Duelling field.

Grave wrongs have been committed by this Gingham Wearer against the Church
to the Evil Ballot Stuffer, its loyal members and its righteous followers.
E has consistently failed to rein in the slanderous claims of eir own
Church's *ptooey* members, who have lied about the glorious righteousness
of the Church to the Evil Ballot Stuffer.

We demand your acceptance of this Challenge to Duel.  Choose your weapons,
and prepare to be humiliated.  Oh, and find yourself a second, too - we
wouldn't want the humiliation to be restricted to yours.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:21:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

On Fri, 1 May 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> 
> Didn't IdiotBoy recently declare several proposals Harfy?  Did any of them
> pass?

2911 was harfy (IdiotBoy declared): This made ThinMan Harfmeister.
2915 was harfy (TGW declared): This made Alfvaen Harfmeister.
2917 was harfy but failed.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:23:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: political allegiance

> I hereby announce my desire to become a member of HARF.
> 
> Pandora

I approve. (if I needed to)

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Kittens themselves are just called kittens, by the way - there is no
> heraldic term for them. In fact, my own heraldic glossary has only
> this to say on felines:
> 
>    CAT: The domestic animal is seldom borne in coat-armor, but the
>    wild-cat or cat-a-mountain occurs frequently. It is always borne
>    guardant or full-faced.

What about a "lion infant" :-)

Slakko
warner couchant
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:42:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Expedition

On Fri, 1 May 1998, JT Traub wrote:

> I announce my intent to join the expedition and pay the A$40.

I also announce my intent to join the expedition and pay the A$40.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:51:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>PS: "Chequy argent and sanguine, a penguin proper"?

Chequy argent and gules, a penguin proper.
(I'm fairly sure that sanguine is not a proper tincture, but is widely
accepted)

A penguin proper means 'in normal color' (ie: black and white and etc).

- --JT
teaching heraldry by drops :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:57:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church Action

Now, I'll be damned if I can remember or understand the rules on churches and
what powers the founder has. If a founder can perform any actin on behalf of
the church then I do the following action now, otherwise I suggest it as an
organizational action:

The Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer joins Metamorph.

About time we saw a more than human actually used. I just wonder if they'll
take us... :-)

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Functional Office Filling (Org-Harfer)

I have received the following nominations for the Functional Office of
Org-Harfer, currently vacant:

JT
J. M. Bear
H*bert
Hubert
K 2

I am appointing K 2 to the post of Org-Harfer, because e already has gone
to the trouble of setting up webpages for this express purpose (way to go
the extra mile!)

Congratulations to K 2.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 17:02:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church Action

>Now, I'll be damned if I can remember or understand the rules on churches and
>what powers the founder has. If a founder can perform any actin on behalf of
>the church then I do the following action now, otherwise I suggest it as an
>organizational action:
>
>The Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer joins Metamorph.
>
>About time we saw a more than human actually used. I just wonder if they'll
>take us... :-)

Hmm.. wouldn't this kill the chance of Metamorph gettting a Unity vote?
(churches cannot vote :)

Or am I just missing something :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 17:15:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

>> PS: "Chequy argent and sanguine, a penguin proper"?
> 
> Chequy argent and gules, a penguin proper.
> (I'm fairly sure that sanguine is not a proper tincture, but is widely
> accepted)

Whoops. "Sanguine" was a thinko.

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 17:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: No proposal 2962

Please note, all, that due to a Promoter error there is no such
proposal as 2962.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 19:39:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Expedition

 I announce my intent to join the expedition and pay the A$40.

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       Check out the link below for the conclusion of ImpNom28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 19:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on
> > it represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with
> > something with a meaning though.
> 
> With a few exceptions, heraldic emblems have no intrinsic meaning or
> encoded significance. (I know a bar sinister has been used to indicate
> an illegitimate birth, an an example of one exception.)
> 
  'scuse me!  THINK!  bar=horizontal line.  sinister=left.  ???

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 19:54:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
> newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
> step down and let's have an election :)

Okay.  I am resigning from the Office of Herald.  And since this is an
Optional Office, I believe that I am required to state that I would like
an Election or Nomination or whatever to be held for the Office of Herald.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Devo:Whip It
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
Rotisserie: a Ferris wheel for chickens.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 20:11:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> > > Hmm, so what would a red and white checked shield with a penguin on
> > > it represent (other than nothing)? I'm sure I can come up with
> > > something with a meaning though.

> > With a few exceptions, heraldic emblems have no intrinsic meaning or
> > encoded significance. (I know a bar sinister has been used to indicate
> > an illegitimate birth, an an example of one exception.)

>   'scuse me!  THINK!  bar=horizontal line.  sinister=left.  ???

That's right.  What is wanted here is the _baton_ sinister, which is
a diagonal line going from bottom left to upper right, except that it
is "couped" so it doesn't reach the edges of the shield.  The bordure
wavy is another common sign of illegitimacy.  However, most of the
heraldry books I've run across say that there is no _certain_ sign of
illegitimacy.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Godley & Creme:Crime & Punishment
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> breadbox
> considering submitting "Or, a gorges wavy purpure" just be annoying

A "gorges wavy" is almost redundant.  Either that, or just impossible.
(A gorges is essentially a spiral/whirlpool...pretty esoteric, actually.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
There's hamburger all over the highway in Mystic, Connecticut.  Film at 11.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> > I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly interested in the
> > newly created Office of Herald.  Alfvaen, as you stated you would, please
> > step down and let's have an election :)

> Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
> have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
> painted all over it' in Heraldic?

"Semy of kittens".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
We never speak, we only acquiesce

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal retraction

> Damn.. Huberted again :)  I retract prop 2964 if it hasn't already been
> judged illegal due to the fact that it duplicates (at least in intent
> and effect if not wording) the recent proposal by K 2.

It's not a clear case of duplication, so it would take a CFJ to render
it invalid.  Actually, I liked yours better, but maybe that was just
because K 2's was missing a verb in the first sentence.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Harf

> >Yes, as a matter of fact, you ThinMan were the Harfmeister for all of
> >maybe ten minutes before Alfvaen took the title away from you.

> I thought so.  My very first ever Harfy proposal, which even passes, and
> that busybody Alfvaen comes in and lifts the Crown of Harf off my head
> before I even get used to the weight.  Rats.

Yes, well, I've been working on my Cheddar recently.  Maybe I'll try to
space my declarations out a bit more.  No more than one a batch!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
It knock one's the door, go to and see who is it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> > Hmmm... someone should maybe tell us how to speak Heraldic, sincewe cannot
> > have coats of arms otherwise... what is e.g. 'it has kittens
> > painted all over it' in Heraldic?

> Well, that depends. What is their color? the color of their claws?
> What are their positions (both with respect to the shield, and the
> positions they are depicted in)? This data is precisely what blazonry
> is supposed to communicate.

"Painted all over it" sounds like "semy" to me.  This basically means that
the entire field of the shield is covered with kittens.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
I was brought up to believe in nature over nurture.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:03:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Herald.

> And here we get into the details which I glossed over in my previous
> response.   I believe (I might be misremembering :) that if the facing
> is not specified, it's either full on, or dexter. (facing right).
> I know that if the claws aren't specified, they are the color of the
> charge itself (a charge is a generic term for an emblem on a coat of
> arms).

Don't forget that "dexter", which is right, means the left side of the
shield, because they named it from behind.  Sort of like Stage Left and
Stage Right, which always confused me even though it's always from the
point of view of the actor and the audience doesn't need to know.

> There also rules as to what colors may touch other colors and so
> on.

The rationale for them, by the way, is that heraldic emblems are
intended to be visible and distinguishable over long distances, and
so there is a common-sense restriction from putting light on light or
dark on dark because you just wouldn't be able to make out what the
heck it was at a distance of 500 yards.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Be inconsistent--but don't do it all the time.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: An Old Head Spinning Question

> I was at a loss. In a vain attempt to retain my sanity, I asked what
> seemed the next logical question: "Um, what, then, is your
>      location?"

>      "The Treasury, of course. Don't you read the Rules?"

>      "But we're in the Library!"

>      "Just so."

> Well, the Library is not owned by any player.  Neither is the land the
> Library stands on.  So, even if the Library is not specifically in the
> Treasury (because it is in the kaas of land it is on), the kaas of land
> the Library is on are in the Treasury.  So when Phoebe was in the Library,
> she was also in the Treasury.

This assumes that inclusion(or whatever "in" represents)is transitive.
That if X is in the Library, and the Library is in the Treasury, then
X is in the Treasury.  I see no reason why this should necessarily be
the case.

I do note, however, that the Rules do not seem to state that entities owned
by _Organizations_, or any other non-player entity, are thus disqualified
from being in the Treasury.  Does this mean that they can be Auctioned?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Then
Current Book--Dick Francis:Hot Money
Jeb quickly drove a few extra miles on the glazed pavement.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #132
*******************************