Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #131
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Thursday, April 30 1998       Volume 03 : Number 131

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 03:56:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re: re : confused query

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Michael James wrote:

> i am having a littledifficulty with an equation for probabilities , if
> someone can help i would much appreciate it (equation follows):
> 	
> 	p ( -2,14<Z<0).
> 
> 	thank all helpful ackanomians for showing me how simple this may be , i
> unfortunately am drawing a blank on this.

I don't see how Z can be greater than 14 and less than 0.
Check the direction of your inequalities.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:18:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: An Old Head Spinning Question

Just thinking about something, I came across this old Phoebe post:

I was at a loss. In a vain attempt to retain my sanity, I asked what
seemed the next logical question: "Um, what, then, is your
     location?"

     "The Treasury, of course. Don't you read the Rules?"

     "But we're in the Library!"

     "Just so."

Well, the Library is not owned by any player.  Neither is the land the
Library stands on.  So, even if the Library is not specifically in the
Treasury (because it is in the kaas of land it is on), the kaas of land
the Library is on are in the Treasury.  So when Phoebe was in the Library,
she was also in the Treasury.

Nothing mind-bending about that at all :-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 05:03:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Rise of the True Church

Ackans! Rejoice at the emergence of a new priest of the Church to the Evil
Ballot Stuffer.

else...if has stepped forward and undertaken to pioneer Ballot-Stuffing in
its evil form, and hereby joins us in our direct worship of the Great Evil
Ballot Stuffer, through the use of his own EBS.

I remind all Priests that it is their duty (and a crime not to) to use the
Evil Ballot Stuffer wherever possible.

Seven priests, I tell you... Let the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer
beware! (Ha! They do not even have a Holy Relic...)

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:25:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: An Old Head Spinning Question

Slakko wrote,

>Just thinking about something, I came across this old Phoebe post:
>
>I was at a loss. In a vain attempt to retain my sanity, I asked what
>seemed the next logical question: "Um, what, then, is your
>     location?"
>
>     "The Treasury, of course. Don't you read the Rules?"
>
>     "But we're in the Library!"
>
>     "Just so."
>
>Well, the Library is not owned by any player.  Neither is the land the
>Library stands on.  So, even if the Library is not specifically in the
>Treasury (because it is in the kaas of land it is on), the kaas of land
>the Library is on are in the Treasury.  So when Phoebe was in the Library,
>she was also in the Treasury.
>
>Nothing mind-bending about that at all :-)

What, did you think Phoebe was wrong?  Or that -- God forbid -- I did not
accurately report her words?  Even as confused as I was at the time, I
never doubted Phoebe's correctness  :-)

ThinMan
Who, long ago when he was Financier, had to know where everything was.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:44:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Just Like Majik

K2 wrote:

>Ahem,
>    By the power invested in me by rule Rule 506.1 as Archaeologist I
>declare the following Trinkets to be Majik :
>
>All trinkets who's name contains the string : 'Runestone of Jukkasjarvi
>Fragment'.
>Evil
>The Pedestal of *ping*

I am not convinced that you can do that.  If you can and did, then I am
quite put out.  Even a bit angry, in fact.  I strenuously object to you
modifying trinkets in my possession without my prior approval.  Not only
as a matter of principle, either.  It doesn't help that I see absolutely
no point to the action.

ThinMan
>-(

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tabula stuff

There are a few hearing results to be announced and they were all fairly
clear so I'm not going to announce everyone's voting results. If you
particularly want them then I will give them to you but I'd rather not have
to.

The politeness moon was found to be polite.
The Harfmeister (whoever e may be) was found to be going to share the harf.
In the event that there was another inventor election /dev/joe was elected
again, which should cut down on thread splits (not that we've been paying
much attention to that thread).

TGW, who is now off to deal with eir CotC duties, having likely already
violated speed, and then onto the assistant web harfing. For my recent
tardiness I would like to apologise; I too have been struck by exams so don't
have as much time as I would like for Acka. Actually I got some results back
today from January, and they were all A if anyone is interested (or even if
no-one is).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Rise of the True Church

> Ackans! Rejoice at the emergence of a new priest of the Church to the Evil
> Ballot Stuffer.
> 
> else...if has stepped forward and undertaken to pioneer Ballot-Stuffing in
> its evil form, and hereby joins us in our direct worship of the Great Evil
> Ballot Stuffer, through the use of his own EBS.
> 
> I remind all Priests that it is their duty (and a crime not to) to use the
> Evil Ballot Stuffer wherever possible.
> 
> Seven priests, I tell you... Let the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer
> beware! (Ha! They do not even have a Holy Relic...)

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely. Pride comes before a
fall. Are these phrase familiar to you (along with the phrase "It's a small,
cliché ridden world")?

Our time will come Koxvolio, and then all shall rejoice that the one truth
faith has overcome the evil upstarts. As an aside, do any of my followers
wish to become priests. If you do then say "so".

TGW, founder of the church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:09:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Monolith

I'm adding one level to the Monolith, while it still can be done (soon it
will be so expensive that no one will be able to afford it). As far as I
know, it already has 9 levels, so it will cost me A$50 * (9/3) = A$150.

I'll name it Long Live to the Great Evil Ballot Stuffer.

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Inertia: A cat at rest will tend to remain at rest, unless acted
upon by some outside force -- such as the opening of cat food, or a nearby
scurrying mouse.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: ABE

Also Known As 
Another Bloody Earthquake

Ever have one of those years?  (Well, six months, but who is counting?)
The Monolith was created a scant 5 days or so before I joined Acka (I
celebrated a half year here earlier this week).  However, the Map-Harfer
at the time couldn't get a round tuit, and so never updated the map.  When
I took the job, I updated it as much as I could.  I got comments on the
job I did, about trying to balance out the widths of the columns (which I
finally only fixed on a permanent basis this week), and about some of the
names and suchlike having changed.

No-one mentioned that the Monolith should have been there.

So, six months after it should have arrived, I proudly proclaim that the
map has finally been updated to include the existence of the Monolith.
This existence has led to some interesting rearrangements - most notably
for Pandora, whose house is now next to eir land, Astro, Balsamic Dragon,
and Niccolo Flychuck.

Check out the new map if you want to see what the hell has happened in the
south-eastern corner of Acka.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ABE

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> 
> Also Known As 
> Another Bloody Earthquake

Dammit Slakko, I don't live in California for a reason.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:00:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: ABE

Long have I petitioned the Map-Harfer and his ilk to add the Monolith
(my only addition to the Ruleset, essentially :)) to the Map of Acka.
Loud have been my distressed wails, knowning that it existed, but was
not even given the pittance of having a space on the map!  Long have...

Well, never mind.  Thanks, Slakko... I didn't even notice it wasn't
there :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Duncan Richer [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, April 30, 1998 2:51 PM
>To:	Ackanomic Main Mailing List
>Subject:	Acka: ABE
>
>Also Known As 
>Another Bloody Earthquake
>
>
>-- 
>Duncan C. "" Richer aka
>Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
>Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
>Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Movements

- --===3BDRY_=_=_=BDRY0===
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  Acka: Movements
Date: 1998-04-30 15:11
Priority: 3
Message ID: 9F9F237433E0D1118B0800104B740DB7
Conversation ID: Acka: Movements

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am leaving snowgod's beach cottage and going back to my land at b7 on   
the map.  I see that my house is dangling.  I hereby request help in   
reattaching my house if it is possible to reattach.

Crackfoo  

- --===3BDRY_=_=_=BDRY0===--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:10:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Rise of the True Church

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Our time will come Koxvolio, and then all shall rejoice that the one truth
> faith has overcome the evil upstarts. As an aside, do any of my followers
> wish to become priests. If you do then say "so".

Nay, such is unnecessary, for the power of the Good Ballot Stuffer is such
that just one (and indeed, only one) sufficeth to overcome the stench of
thousands, nay millions, of Evil Ballot Stuffers, if you'll pardon my
blasphemy.  And yea, in the end there will be one Good Ballot Stuffer and
one Good Ballot Stuffer only, for that is all the Holy crusade of Good
doth need to drive out this blemish of Evil upon Acka.

Pie Jesu Domine... Oodgay Allotbay Ufferstay.

- -Hubert, Neophyte of the Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer

Think how much fun you could have with the doctor's wife and a bucket of 
apples. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:17:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Red Alert

I have already notified Alfvaen of the future arrival of a new player, but
I also want to warn everyone here, because, as eir Sponsor, I feel sort of
liable. I'd say that the "<name> is my fault" Trinket should be taken
literaly in this case. It *is* my fault: I should have never told my young
brother about this game... Bah!

UglyBigNose (can you believe the name e has chosen?), e *really* enjoys
trouble. E doesn't care about scoring, and money, and titles, all e wants
to do is become a Crazy French-Scotsman, be engaged in duels, vote Bah! for
proposals, appeal judgements, say that other players' trinkets are lame,
and other things like that.

Be prepared...

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Inertia: A cat at rest will tend to remain at rest, unless acted
upon by some outside force -- such as the opening of cat food, or a nearby
scurrying mouse.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:44:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Red Alert

>UglyBigNose (can you believe the name e has chosen?), e *really* enjoys
>trouble. E doesn't care about scoring, and money, and titles, all e wants
>to do is become a Crazy French-Scotsman, be engaged in duels, vote Bah! for
>proposals, appeal judgements, say that other players' trinkets are lame,
>and other things like that.
	I know the feeling.  When my brother heard the phrase "Ackanomic
Stock Market" he became quite interesting.  I had to persuade him that it
was really boring, since it was just about changing the rules.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:54:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 578 (IdiotBoy)

Idiot Boy has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 578- April 30, 1998
Subject: *ping*
Initiator: K 2 (sent April 30, 1998, 00:55)
Judge: IdiotBoy (selected April 30, 1998, 17:39)
Judgement: 

Statement:
the entity known as The pedestal of *ping* is a Majik.

Initiator's Reasoning:
Rule 506.1 (Magik) reads as follows::
>An existing Trinket can be made into a Majik by the Archaeologist.

Since this sentence places no restrictions on what may be made majik,
all trinkets are eligible.

>A player who owns a Trinket worth more than A$99 can ask
>in a public message if that Trinket is special. If the 
>Archaeologist replies publicly within 3 days
>"This Trinket is Majik", then the Trinket becomes a Majik.

The second part doesn't place restrictions on what the Archaeologist may
make majik, rather it outlines a method by which a player with a high
value trinket may _ask_ to have it converted into a Majik. It doesn't
appear to conflict with the first part so precedence is not an issue.

Thus it was possible for the Archaeologist to make The Pedestal of
*ping* Majik.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 575 (TRUE)

Rex Mundi judged TRUE, four days ago. Sorry.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 575- April 21, 1998
Subject: Witch hunts
Initiator: Slakko (sent April 21, 1998, 11:55)
Judge: Rex Mundi (selected April 22, 1998, 11:21)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
K 2 is not Enlightened.

Reasoning:
Rule 1307 only allows witchhunts when a player publicly refers to the
earth being round.  K 2 referred to the earth being banna.  There is no
proof in favour of or against the idea that banna-shaped is round, so we
cannot say that calling something banna-shaped is referring to it being
round.  K 2 did not say that Black is or is not a colour, and hence no
witchhunt could have been called on em.  Hence e was not Burned as a
Heretic, and hence e is not Enlightened.

Judge's Reasoning:
I concur with the initiator's reasoning.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:54:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 579 (Pandora)

Pandora has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 579- April 30, 1998
Subject: Majik
Initiator: JT (sent April 30, 1998, 10:19)
Judge: Pandora (selected April 30, 1998, 17:41)
Judgement: 

Statement:
  K2 did not make Evil (or any of the other Trinkets) into Majiks with eir
  post on Apr 29.

Initiator's Reasoning:
  The text within rule 506.1 is somewhat ambiguous.  The entire rule
can be read with two slightly different interpretations.  In the first
reading, there are two ways for an existing Trinket to become Majik:
  a) for the Archaeologist to declare it so at eir whim
  b) for a player to ask if a Trinket worth more than A$ 99 is Majik
     and for the Archaeologist to replay that it is.
In the second reading, the first sentance of the rule states 'authority',
i.e. who has the 'ability' to make a Trinket into a Majik and the rest
of the rule clarifies the circumstances in which that can be achieved,
ie (when the player asks publically and the trinket is worth more than A$
99).

If the 'correct' reading of the rule is the first, then this CFJ should
be judged FALSE.  If the second (or some other that I haven't thought of)
is the 'correct' reading, then the judgment should be TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 162 (rufus)

Embarrassingly enough, I have deadbeated. I now remove myself from the CFJ
ineligibility list. rufus has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgment 162 (April 23)
Subject: Exhibitionism 2
Initiator: K 2  (sent April 22, 1998, 22:57)
Judge: The Gingham Wearer (deadbeat)
Second Judge: rufus (selected April 30, 1998, 17:34)
Judgement: 

Statement:
Hubert committed the Crime of Illegal Action on 22nd April 1998.

Initiator's Reasoning:
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:20:00 Hubert posted:
....
I dance on the Town Hall Steps.  Naked.
....

Rule 842 states:
At all times it is illegal to dance naked on the Town Hall Steps.

Of course this brings up the question of what exactly naked is in
ackanomic. Is it the fact that one is not wearing a rule defined
garment? Or simply that one describes oneself as being naked? Either way
Hubert was naked.

Suggested penalty:
Transference of a Wool sweater from the treasury to Hubert to cover eir
nakedness.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:05:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ's 578 and 579

These two CFJ's argue opposite sides of the same issue.  In the interests of
not clogging up the works, I retract CFJ 579 so that the question only
needs to be answered once.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:15:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 162 (rufus)

>Embarrassingly enough, I have deadbeated. I now remove myself from the CFJ
>ineligibility list. rufus has been selected.

Shouldn't this then go to me as Praetor?

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
Current Album--The Eels:Beautiful Freak
"It is cellular peptide cake.  With mint frosting."

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #131
*******************************