Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #126
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Saturday, April 25 1998       Volume 03 : Number 126

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Reallocation

> > Are you going to accept eir offer?  Gadgets aren't gift entities, you

> 
> Does that mean that Koxvolio can't give eir EBS to JT? If so, I'll give up
> my EBS on behalf of JT. I suppose *this* can be done, since the EBS hasn't
> been created yet, thus not belonging to anyone.

> So, Alfvaen, tell us what to do.

No, no, it just means that Koxvolio can't say "I give my EBS to JT" and
have the transfer of the EBS occur.  JT has to say "I accept the offer of
the EBS" or something to that effect.  A$, Trinkets, and Otzma Cards can
be gifted without need of the recipient to accept.  (Although game custom
allows one to make conditional offers of those as well...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Rick Springfield:Jessie's Girl
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
A rut is just a grave with a ramp at either end.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:27:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Reallocation

>> >Due to a slight slip in forgetting what I had previously written, I wish
>> >to gift my Evil Ballot Stuffer to JT.
>
>> >Let the Ballots be Stuffed by all!
>> >(and I'm going to beggar myself for this Church...)
>
>> Koxvolio is a stand up, righteous guy, who did not have to do this, but
>> it is appreciated greatly.
>
>> I create a trinket worth A$25 named "The Stand-up, Righteous Guy" with the
>> description "The owner of this item is an upstanding, righteous guy who
>> should get loads of respect from his peers".  I gift this trinket to
>> Koxvolio.
>
>Are you going to accept eir offer?  Gadgets aren't gift entities, you know.

Yes, but *trinkets* are (which is what I created above :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:28:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RE Koxvolio's ebs

My goof.. I misread Alfvaens earlier mail.

I most definately accept Koxvolio's EBS.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Reallocation

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, JT Traub wrote:

> >> >Due to a slight slip in forgetting what I had previously written, I wish
> >> >to gift my Evil Ballot Stuffer to JT.
> >
> >Are you going to accept eir offer?  Gadgets aren't gift entities, you know.
> 
> Yes, but *trinkets* are (which is what I created above :)

Yes, but the *gadget* Koxvolio is trying to give you isn't.
Just take the d*&n thing!

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 05:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 20

Volume 1, Issue 20
April 25, 1998
This issue's slogan:
"Once Again, The President's Preferred Paper"
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Apologies and Retractions.
3. Poll Question #6 Results
4. More Ackanomic News
5. The Way We Were
6. Party Chess Report
7. Sub-Game Summary
8. Advertisement		

Editorial

Hooray for Nomicbot!

breadbox, the hard-working Tabulator, has produced a new version of the
nomicbot. 'Tis truly a joyous occasion, and we should all rejoice at its
creation. Now proposal submissions, and, yea, even voting, shall be more
automated and more efficient. Not since the days of Mohammed aka Chaos
have we seen such a feat, and truly will be a marvel to many who have not
lain eyes on a fully working nomicbot before.

Of course, Acka being Acka, a nomicbot on its own cannot deal with the
full range of situations that can crop up, especially given the nature of
Ackans to fiddle with anything that appears to be working properly.

Kill the Scambait!

Last week I talked to you about the Ackanomic Tradition of the Scam. While
the Scam is, indeed, a great Tradition, it has its own mores and customs.
The first one is open to some level of debate, but there is no doubt that,
wherever you draw the line, a line must be drawn at the point that a scam
becomes untenable.

Once it is obvious that a scam is present in the rules, it is the duty of
most players to fix the scam up, or at least prevent a recurrence of it
happening. This is part of the reason that some rules in Ackanomic appear
so much wordier than people think they would need to be. In reality, the
extra verbiage is there to prevent scams and ensure the robustness of the
game.

At the present time, there are still a number of instances of scambait
remaining in the ruleset, some with little sign of imminent correction or
repeal. While Beldin's Pants has been exposed, the full state of the
Frankenstein Monster situation is still questionable. There has been no
CFJ involving the issues, even in a hypothetical state. As a result, it is
hard to say, at this stage, that any scam involving the Frankenstein
Monster rules will necessarily be successful.

However, while the FM when it was created was initially harfy (and in fact
was scammed and fixed courtesy of Malenkai), its harfiness is waning. Now
is the time to throw off the shackles of the Frankenstein Monster, and
forge new crazy ideas with the Harf thereby released.

Remember, while Harf may appear limitless, in practice it comes with a
cost, itself harfing. This duality of Harf means that the amount of Harf
the rules can support is limited. Do not attempt to further enharf the
rules without considering the backlash of your actions. This has been a
warning from the Committee to Preserve Harf.

Letters to the Ackan are always welcome. We will publish contributors
within reason, because our aim is to provide Ackans with a comprehensive
news and opinions service. This includes opinions contradicting the paper,
so feel free to criticise editorial comments. 

If you want your opinions heard, or letters published, please send them to
[email-masked]. 

Send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above, marked
"Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.

Have another good Ackan week - banna willing we'll be back next week.
Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan 	 	 

Apologies and Retractions

The Ackan apologises for incorrectly omitting the details of one Duel last
week. The sub-editor had a Duel of eir own with the managing editor, but,
being an Ackan non-entity, was not allowed to manipulate the game state
and hence lost by default.

The Ackan also apologises to those who may have been misled partially by
last week's Editorial. As breadbox pointed out, the first scam was Wayne's
interesting attempt to unilaterally set eir score to the Magic Number.
Further, Malenkai's AOJ scam was not necessarily aimed at permanently
preventing Robert Sevin from winning. Rather, it was much more likely to
have been an attempt to allow the game state to be put into a position
where cycle wins could be handled properly.

Now that I've run out of sub-editors, I've ordered a fresh batch of fact
checkers from the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication.
Unfortunately, as they are not entities, they may not manipulate the game
state themselves, and so I have to go back and fix every error myself. In
response, each one that points out an error is made sub-editor. That
oughta fix 'em.

The Ackan heartily apologises for any damage or difficulties caused by
these errors and/or omissions.

Poll Question

Question Number 6 was issued last week, and was:
6. What do you think of The Infrequent Ackan's new Web multi-column layout
(with smaller text for more sensible column sizes)?

(a) - There's a World Wide Web now?
(b) - I'd rather read the paper version.
(c) - It's nothing special.
(d) - Nice effort!

The response was a little less overwhelming than the last few questions.
Only three players bothered to respond, despite the offering of a free
trinket. The Ackan promotional drawer is empty at the moment, however, so
the status of future polls is currently hanging in the balance. If we can
get hold of some petty cash forms disaster may be averted. Don't hold your
breath waiting, though, for it will not be until next week at the earliest
that the situation is resolved.

Of the three responses last week, one was (b), and two were (d). It
appears that the Ackan continuing to publish in the two-column HTML format
is justified, and so this trend will continue. To the player who answered
(b), I say the following: Please remit 43p for postage.
The lucky winner of the Trinket this week is: 

The minimal guaranteed reward remains in place - one lucky reply will be
chosen to receive a Trinket of guaranteed minimum value A$5. It's not
much, but if it gets a response it's worth every Ackapenny (even though
they may be indivisible).

Remember, your opinion does matter to us here at the Ackan (but we of
course reserve the right to ignore opinions which are obviously based on
malice and/or sheer stupidity :-))

It costs very little of your time to enter, and there's always the chance
of that Trinket, so please respond to the Great Infrequent Ackan Poll
Competition!

More Ackanomic News

Late News Held Over

Slakko was re-elected President in a landslide victory last Saturday. With
a record turnout of 26 votes cast in the election, Slakko still romped
away with an absolute majority of 14 votes, compared to 12 votes split
between the other 4 candidates.

The victory was somewhat pyrrhic for Slakko, however, as eir reinstatement
as President only assisted one of eir rivals for the post. Slakko, in an
exclusive statement to the Ackan, has sworn that e will not stand for a
third term.

"The last time we had a President run for a third term, we saw interesting
scam chaos. Now, while I'm all for interesting scam chaos in moderation, a
President should really attempt to clamp down on that sort of thing. I
wouldn't want my Presidency marred by that kind of crisis finishing it
off. So I've decided that, after this second term, I'll leave the
Presidential job to the younguns."

Stripey Stuff

Blue Cross action was fast and furious this week, with three players
getting into the accepted proposal action.

Firstly, The Gingham Wearer fulfilled all the Infrequent Ackan
expectations by going on to pick up eir Blue Cross, for achieving twenty
accepted proposals. We can only hope that e continues eir role as a
guardian of mutability, and long may eir proposals continue.

Secondly, Vynd was invested with eir first ever Silver Stripe, on reaching
a Blue Cross Rank of 30. No comment has yet been received from Vynd about
the honour - it is assumed e is too choked up to speak. Both of the above
awards were presented during a dramatic fountain display at Slakko's House
and Water Tower.

Meanwhile, due to an oversight and temporary harfing overload, the third
Stripe Ceremony of the week was at Tamson House. Alfvaen, as Proconsul,
awarded emself a Silver Stripe to go with eir two Gold Stripes. Such a
Ceremony should have been conducted in a more public setting, and Slakko
has, in a previously confidential statement, admitted e "screwed up
bigtime by not giving Alfie the Stripe when I had the chance."

Otzma Record Sales

The Otzma Auction started last Friday saw the continuing inflationary
spiral hit yet another part of Acka's economy. Share Your Income cards,
always highly sought after, broke the magical A$200 barrier, despite the
fact that two were up for auction. Meanwhile, Untouch Me cards hit what is
believed to be an all-time low, trading for only A$3.

While most other cards traded for only slightly above average prices, the
Share Your Income price was enough to make this latest Otzma Day Auction
Set the most profitable ever for the Treasury.

Religious Zealotry Hits Acka

The Gadgets which caused such a flurry last week have led to some
interesting religious developments in Acka. Two churches have been founded
in the past week, both claiming to have received their divine inspiration
from Gadgets. The Church to the Evil Ballot Stuffer was the first to be
created, with the noble doctrine of abolishing the existence of Good
Ballot Stuffers forever, that true Ballot Stuffing may flourish.

Meanwhile, in a pitiful imitative attempt to balance the score, a group of
misfits clubbed together to found the blasphemous Church of the Good
Ballot Stuffer. Such an attempt is surely doomed to failure, no matter
what diabolical schemes those who believe they are on the side of Good
wish to employ.

It looked like Odo on the Wormhole would rejoin the ranks of the Churches
this week as well. However, the Founder's heading off on holiday appears
to have put such plans on hold.

Financial Follies

Although the Chair of the Ackan Reserve is taking a (no doubt well-earned)
break, the Stock Market has still been tracked, thanks to the efforts of  
K 2.

The activity index has confounded some expert opinions by producing
sustained minor gains for most of the last week. However, such gains
cannot continue indefinitely, and it appears that a significant fall in
activity is due soon.

Proposal acceptances continue to send the Positivity Index to
new heights. As a result, the Combined Index reached an all time high in
excess of 75 during the week.

Interestingly, these gains have not been on the same percentage level as
previous gains. As a result, compounded returns are falling, leading to
some claims that the market is due for a big collapse any day now.
However, given the initial interest in the index, it is not surprising
that waning enthusiasm has seen some slowing of the rate of increase.

Meanwhile, the first of the Stock Market reform proposals was put up this
week. The introduction of commission is expected to force a change in
strategy for most short-term investors. The enforced total penalty of 10%
on a full in and out trade means that short term gains are much more
likely to be wiped out by long term penalties. 

We may well see a panic surge of buying prior to the distribution of
voting results on this proposal, as people queue up to avoid paying the 5%
commission on stock purchases. The real question, though, is how many of
these investors are truly in for the long haul.

The Infrequent Ackan Stock Indicator Tip for the week is: Buy if you can.
Continuing trends suggest that proposal acceptances will outstrip
rejections sufficiently to average out to long-term gains. Planned changes
may reduce or eliminate these gains, so now is still the time to buy.

The Way We Were

25th April 1997:  Discussion centred around the lack of discussion
relating to proposals.  A very Ackan feature, the meta-discussion.  This
was not long after the famous "Binary Me" and "Thank You Yakko" proposals,
the first of which would have been completely unworkable, and the second
of which was almost completely pointless.  (Although who am I to pass up a
gratuitous Animaniacs reference?)

Bascule retracted Proposals 1964 and 1965, and xebra bod (now breadbox)
declined judgement on the CFJ 371 appeal, passing it over to ThinMan as
Praetor.	 

snowgod explained eir motives in weird proposing to be trying to
beat CnH to 100 failed proposals.  Interestingly, CnH only achieved that
target during this past week in 1998.

Proposal 1927 passed, repealing The Size of Things, as did 1928,
eliminating the concept of entity renting.  This time last year was
obviously a point where the Ruleset was undergoing some spring cleaning.
The failed proposals for the day were 1930, 1931 and 1932.  So that was
the day that was, one year ago!

Party Chess Report

During the later stages of the Free For All which finished last Tuesday,
Alfvaen managed to replace eir King on the board.  This created the rare
situation of 8 Swingers with positive Weights.  Now that the Swingpoints
have been slightly modified, all of these Swingers will be able to join in
the benefits of Swingpoint ownership.

However, this has not turned the Party Chess board into a friendly place -
far from it.  The grasping for position is still as intense as ever - the
Free For All merely allowed things to be jolted out of equilibrium so as
to create some new alliances and enmities.

The FFA generated 19 moves over a period of only 7 days - a record rate
for such a large number of moves.  Given the complex nature of the board
as it stands, and the need to keep 8 people juggled in a game designed for
only 7, expect to see more Free For Alls in the coming months.

Meanwhile, this week also saw Swingers in the Transfer Market.  Niccolo,
heading away for two weeks, transferred eir job to K 2, who is already
into the swing of things (*blam* no bad puns dammit!).  With Guy Fawkes on
vacation, Attila the Pun has also joined the fray, stepping into the
vacant place in the NAP Swinger Seat on an Acting basis.

The weight collapse at the top continues, with no player currently
possessing a Weight in excess of 100.  Surprisingly, though, these changes
have come about through some aggressive play - Slakko's capturing of K 2's
Camel managed to bring both of their weights down under the magic 100,
completing a process begun when The Gingham Wearer's newly promoted Rooks
began disappearing last week.

This week, who knows what will happen?  Swingpoints distributed on Monday
could see some interesting strategic action (especially given that
/dev/joe is now Tornadoless and needs some quick Weight).  After that, it
could be back to the long term alliances, but I couldn't say for sure.

Sub Game Summary

Every week - every subgame going.

Abstract Crescent

Abstract Crescent moves even further into the danger zone.  With the
removal of rufus for continued apathy, the target score was reduced to 30.
This round, with The Gingham Wearer having joined the crew in the 20s,
sees 4 of the 6 current players with a chance at taking the coveted AC
title and the Jade Grapefruit that goes with it. 

Last round saw the move shrinkage hit a brick wall - 1, 2 and 3 were all
played, allowing TGW to claim maximum points.  If the theory of Abstract
Crescent play holds up, moves this round should be significantly higher
than normal on average, as players jockey to see if anyone will finally
lose points for winning a round.

If you're not currently playing Abstract Crescent, and you want to be,
then as Umpire I'm still accepting submissions from people who want to
play. I'll be inserting them into the rolling congruences as soon as
possible after I receive them, provided the game is not over first. So
come and play Abstract Crescent! You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Eleusis

The first two games of Eleusis are now well underway.  The small Game 1 is
a few rounds old, with /dev/joe looking like e has discovered a useful
pattern, while The Gingham Wearer flounders slightly with incorrect plays.
Game 2, meanwhile, is going through rounds somewhat more slowly, which is
to be expected with twice the number of players.  Robert Sevin has adopted
the interesting strategy of exactly mimicing the plays of Fortunato, two
turns prior.  At this stage, it does not appear to be working well.  This
may give some clues as to the nature of the secret play, but hopefully it
will still remain relatively opaque.

Fictionary

Game 3 of Fictionary has completed Round 3, with JT as Brainiac.  The
definition word of "dagoba" led to a wide range of responses.  However,
when voting results were revealed, snooping reporter Slakko checked on the
legitimacy of the Actual Definition JT used.	

In an unfortunate result, it was found that this definition was not
an exact word-for-word copy of one of the definitions in the Official
Dictionaries.  Indeed, even the final full stop to make the definition a
complete sentence was missing.

It begs one to consider whether or not these omissions would have had any
effect on voting patterns for this Round.  The reliance on knowing that
the correct Definition is, in fact, grammatically correct and
punctuationally complete may well have led people to dismiss the
incorrectly written Actual Definition out of hand.

So, what happens to JT's round?  Are the scores listed as he said, or will
the unfortunate default situation listed in the Rules take hold?  At this
stage the correct situation has yet to be determined, and tradition
dictates that CFJs are not the appropriate vehicle.  After all, it's only
a game.

Viruses

A combination of apathy and misdirection saw /dev/joe grab his 10th and
winning Viruspoint today, despite some fearsome opposition.  The Gingham
Wearer and Slakko both attacked /dev/joe's counts, trying to force em
below the scores of two-star or breadbox.  However, else...if aided and
abetted /dev/joe by attacking two-star, in a move which experts were
scratching their heads over.

breadbox was too concerned with eir own Viruses to worry about /dev/joe
winning, a move which turned out to be unfortunate at best, and downright
foolish at worst.  Further, two-star, the player with the best chance of
catching /dev/joe, threw eir chips in by failing to make a move.

So, Virus players, it looks like most of us only have ourselves to blame.
/dev/joe sneaked home the 10th point by a single Viruscount, 30 to 29 over
two-star, when a single play from 3 of the other Viruseers would have seen
the game continue on to Round 40.

Congratulations to /dev/joe on achieving the win.  May your Jade
Grapefruit be soft and juicy.

Word Un-Association 

Word Un-Association came close to providing a sudden spark of scoring last
round, as only a single player was able to find a legitimate link between
ointment and ridicule.  The scores have therefore remained very low in
this game, and it therefore becomes a good question as to how long the
game can go on for.

Stay tuned for more late-breaking Word Un-Association news.

YORL

The diversion into the "real world" from our story was, frankly, a little
depressing.  We introduced a character, only to have em killed off.  Mind
you, we are back into the real story now, searching again to complete the
Talisman of banna. 

An opportune interruption (thanks, no doubt, to a careful set-up in
earlier play) has seen the game's leader, The Gingham Wearer, regain
control of the story.  However, with only 2 cards left, and 4 loose ends,
whether e can finish off the story at this point is questionable.  Perhaps
the story is not yet played out - there seem to be quite a lot of
extraneous elements which have yet to be reintroduced.

For example, whatever happened to snowgod's castle?  We saw one glimpse of
it, very early on, but since then nothing has happened.  At least, given
the loose end nature of snowgod, the story will have to return to erPhil
sometime.

Duel Summary

There is sitll one Duel in progress (despite significant attempts to place
a time limit on it) - the Spades Duel between Hubert and Goldenmean.
Round 4 has finally been completed, leaving Hubert and his second Slakko
well in the lead, but still less than half the distance to the goal.
Given that it has taken two and a half months to get this far, we could
well be seeing the first ever six-month Duel, provided none of its
combatants go on Holiday first. 

Advertisements

The Ackan is still looking for more interviews. If you have yet to respond
to the Ackan call for interviews, and have held a public office in Acka
for at least one month continuously at any stage in Acka's history, then
the staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like to hear from you. Just email
us at [email-masked] with the keywords "Acka: Ackan" and say you would
like to do an interview. That's all. If you are accepted (which, let's
face it, is still pretty likely at this stage) then someone from the Ackan
will be around to contact you shortly. 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:14:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Archivist Call

I am issuing a Preservation Declaration for:

The Amulet of Yendor

If there are fewer than two objections in the next three days, an Exhibit
in the Harfonian Institute will be created describing the history of the
Amulet of Yendor, and the Amulet itself will be destroyed.

Yours,
Slakko
Web-Harfer and hence Archivist.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Archivist Call

> I am issuing a Preservation Declaration for:
> 
> The Amulet of Yendor

I think the Amulet of Yendor is a Trinket, and so this is not valid.

Perhaps you meant the *Widget* of Yendor??

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:39:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Boon determination

> As a member of the Church, I humbly beg pardon from the Founder, and
> ask what I may do as penance.

Forgiven. As a penance, I think that maybe transferring A$5000 to me would
suffice... :-) The Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer is forgiving, so if you
don't want to then you don't have to :-).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:25:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harf

Proposals 2915 and 2917 are both harfy.

TGW, Harfmeister for a record equaling forth time (I think).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:55:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2888 accepted

>> Actually the rule states "On the Saturday immediately following the
>> creation of this rule". I'm pretty sure that means May 2nd.
> 
> Except of course that it won't because the rule will have repealed itself.
> Damn.

Oh, for ...

You're right.

*SIGH* I hereby retract Proposal 2941.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:35:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Archivist Call

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > I am issuing a Preservation Declaration for:
> > 
> > The Amulet of Yendor
> 
> I think the Amulet of Yendor is a Trinket, and so this is not valid.
> 
> Perhaps you meant the *Widget* of Yendor??

I am issuing a Preservation Declaration for the Widget of Yendor.

Yours,
Slakko
thanks breadbox
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:59:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2888 accepted

> > Bribe: A random trinket whose name contains the string "traffic Warden"
> > will be transferred from The Gingham Wearer to each player who voted YES on
> > this proposal.

For anyone who's curious, here's the distribution of "Small off-duty
Czechoslovakian traffic Warden"s.

Koxvolio: 1
Rex Mundi: 3
Alfvaen: 6
Hubert: 10
Slakko: 13
Ayla: 22
ThinMan: 23
Vynd: 26
JT: 28
H*bert: 30
The Gingham Wearer: 31
else...if: 33

Slakko also already had #2 from Treasure 209.

This leaves #4-#5, #7-#9, #11-#12, #14-#21, #24-#25, #27, #29, and #31-#32
in the possession of The Gingham Wearer.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Alan Frew:Hold On
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
Everybody has something to hide except for me and my squid.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Raft

Vynd has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Spin Doctors:Turn It Upside Down
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Chernevog
Egad!  A base tone denotes a bad age.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:17:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: two otzma card rules outside of the rule suite.

I apologize for forgetting to include the relavent renumbering of the
Otzma Card Founder's Boon into the correct rule suite.

I hereby ask the Rules-Harfer to be so kind as to CSR these two rules
into the intended place in the rule set.

I also offer him either A$ 10 or a trinket worth the same (his preference)
for being so kind as to overlook my mistake in this case.  (not required,
but cannot hurt)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:43:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hearing retraction

Since I agree with Slakko's reasoning of the other day about why a certain
witchhunt against Rufus was an invalid hearing, I hereby retract that hearing.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:45:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Flora Amanita

the flower often blossoms

- --JT,
still trying valiantly.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:08:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: EBS

	I request entrance in the church of the EBS

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Repeal RFC

	Someone (I can't remember who) mentioned in a phoebe post a while
ago the possibility of having rules periodically come up for review.  How
does something like this sound:

Create a new rule numbered *look up an appropriate number* reading as
delimited by XXX
XXX
	All rules belong to exactly one rule package.  Each rule package is
numbered with an integer.  If two rule packages have the same number than
they will become the same package.  A rule package may belong to another
rule package, but not to itself.  They may also have a name.  During the
first week of each month, unless a De-harf hearing is already in progress,
the Harfinator will call a De-harf hearing on the lowest numbered rule
package whose number is greater than the number of the rule package the
Harfinator most recently called a De-harf hearing against.  If there is no
such package than the hearing will be called on the lowest positive
numbered package.  Whoever calls a De-harf hearing will be the Hearing
Harfer for that hearing.  The legal responses to a De-harf hearing are
"It's pink harf, it's good harf" and "May it harf in peace".  If the result
is the latter than  the rule package the hearing was called on is
destroyed.If the player calling the hearing was not the Harfinator and the
result was "It's pink harf, it's good harf" than that player loses five
points.

	When a rule package is destroyed, all rules and rule packages
within it are destroyed.  Any sections of any lists of any surviving rules
which reference something defined with the destroyed rule package [that is,
the section references] are removed and the list is renumbered sensibly.
Any statements of precedence in surviving rules which specifically mention
a destroyed rule are removed in such a way that statements of precedence
towards surviving rules remain.

	Any player except the Harfinator may call a De-harf hearing on a
rule package at any time unless a De-harf hearing is already in progress.
The Harfinator may only call a De-harf hearing when required to by the
above paragraph.

	Packages with a positive number are known as "harfy", those
numbered 0 are negative are "functional".

	There is a functional office known as the Harfinator.
	{{else...if is appointed Harfinator.}}
	The privaleges of the Harfinator are:
	1) To place any rule which is not in a package into a rule package
which does not currently have a De-harf hearing called against it.

	2) To create a new rule package and assign it a number not already
possessed by a rule package.

	3) To name an unnamed rule package.

	4) To issue CSR's which clean up the ruleset when a rule package is
removed.

	5) To receive the SHF less A$10, to a minimum of A$0, as a salary.

	The duty of the Harfinator is to call De-harf hearings as specified
in this rule.
XXX
{{[A rule package would consist of one or more related rules, such as the
Beldin's Tailor rules, or the Stock Market rules.  In most cases the
removal should be clean, although occasionally a follow-up CSR might be
neccessary.]}}

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #126
*******************************