Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #121
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Wednesday, April 22 1998       Volume 03 : Number 121

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:30:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re Recent message to acka-priv

> I thought replies to acka-priv went only back to the sender.  Apparently
> that isn't quite the case.. My most abject apologies for that
> bit of extraneous verbiage.
> 
> --JT

It is the case, provided your mailer is set to honor the reply-to line and
not to do a "group reply", in which the sender of the message and all other
recipients listed in the headers, besides you, and in addition to whatever
the reply-to says, are sent a copy of the reply.  On some mailers this is
an option each time you reply; on others it may be a more hidden global
option, and on yet others, regular replies and group replies may be two
different functions with different keys/buttons/menu items to activate them.

If your mailer is set to do group replies by default, you will get in
trouble this way in Acka.

The phenomenon was named snowgod's disease after former player snowgod,
now elder Mr. Lunatic Fringe, who had a chronic case of the disease, but
not related to the group-reply priv-list thing, and his case seemed
particularly prone to Murphy's Law, spoiling scams by sending messages
intended for his party-mates out on the public lists, etc.  A few months
ago he sent a message about an entirely different nomic to Acka's list
by mistake.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:44:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> > Mind you, I think there could be a CFJ on this issue.  I'll run one up
> > now.
> 
> How so?  Acka has spoken.

Was Acka legally allowed to speak?

Can I be witchhunted for saying "I don't like Jerry Springer!"
No, the rules don't allow you to.  I argue the rules did not allow this
witchhunt either.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:08:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secret Lab creation

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > Does the Order of the Razor Boomerang have A$1000 at this point?  I'm
> > not sure if the transfer from the Razor Boomerang party occurred, since
> > Goldenmean hasn't supported it that I saw.
> 
> E has eir approval proxied, as is not depicted on the Orgs page.  I can
> produce the message in which e did so if you so desire.

Bzzzt.  It was depicted on the Orgs page at the time you sent this
message.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "read the webpages week?" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:29:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

I am building a home on my 1 kaa of land (J10). It is a Small Green Building
with no remarkable features, although the front door is orange. It shall be
known hereafter as Pandora's Box. I pay construction costs of A$ 100 to the
appropriate authority.

Pandora.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

> I am building a home on my 1 kaa of land (J10). It is a Small Green Building
> with no remarkable features, although the front door is orange. It shall be
> known hereafter as Pandora's Box. I pay construction costs of A$ 100 to the
> appropriate authority.
>
> Pandora.

You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...

J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
>need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...

Hmmm, the rules are unclear, but thanks for the advice.

I reclaim any money paid to anyone for the previously described building.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>> You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
>> need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...
> 
> Hmmm, the rules are unclear, but thanks for the advice.
> 
> I reclaim any money paid to anyone for the previously described building.

The building has already been built, so it looks like you're stuck
with two houses.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:00:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 572 (Joe Java)

> How much BWG is declining CFJ publicly really amount to? Not much,
> three or four a week maybe?  Why set ourselves up for a scam- even a
> potential one?

Well, exactly how is a scam possible here, unless the CotC knowingly
violates eir duty? Because that's not a scam; that's breaking the
social contract. Possibly even grounds for an expulsion CFCJ,
depending on the details. I mean, there is a certain amount of trust
that we simply have to put in our Officers. The CotC, like most of our
core Functional Officers, can already easily abuse eir position to
advantage, if e were unscrupulous.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:26:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka:  Mr. Lunatic Fringe.

>> >Are you trying to get me into... an _argument_?
>
>E did not!  I wrote that!

No, you didn't.

>> >-H*bert
>> >"Oh, I've had enough of this."
>> >"No, you haven't."
>
>"I'm sorry, Mr. Wensleydale, but I'm afraid I'll have to shoot you."
>"Righto."
><BLAM>
>"What a senseless waste of human life."

ThinMan
We do have Camembert.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:38:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Secret Lab creation

>I suggest that the Order of the Razor Boomerang build a Secret Lab, and it
>occurs because I'm the Founder and two of my minio... uh, Priests have
>approved it already.  Church Policy is whatever it needs to be in order
>for this to happen.
>
>Happy now, my gaunt friend?

Ecstatic.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2886 accepted

> 16/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted

Thank you, citizens of Ackanomic.

> > Proposal 2886 - Tue 14 Apr 1998 19:46 EDT
> > Enough Bickering
> > /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)
> > 
> > Amend R1009 by changing "Theu may not own any other type of Entity." to "A
> > Political Party may not offer or accept trades in which it would recieve
> > any other kind of entity, but may trade away anything it owns."

I suggest Vulcan give one scroll of crumble, its otzma card go fish, and
its silver spaceship to me.

I suggest Vulcan give its other scroll of crumble, gravitational monopole,
spell book of chorg, and all its other otzma cards to Vynd.

I suggest Vulcan give its vending machine, pulse laser, and swingpoint
to ThinMan.

I approve these 3 suggestions.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:10:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>>> You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
>>> need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...
>> 
>> Hmmm, the rules are unclear, but thanks for the advice.
>> 
>> I reclaim any money paid to anyone for the previously described building.
>
>The building has already been built, so it looks like you're stuck
>with two houses.

Hrm.. Buildings are regulated by the rules and no where does it say that
two buildings can occupy the same kaa of land.  Since the land he claimed
to be building on was already occupied by a house, then that is probably
not a legal action according to the rules.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:24:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>>>> You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
>>>> need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...
>>> 
>>> Hmmm, the rules are unclear, but thanks for the advice.
>>> 
>>> I reclaim any money paid to anyone for the previously described building.
>>
>>The building has already been built, so it looks like you're stuck
>>with two houses.
>
>Hrm.. Buildings are regulated by the rules and no where does it say that
>two buildings can occupy the same kaa of land.  Since the land he claimed
>to be building on was already occupied by a house, then that is probably
>not a legal action according to the rules.

This is an improper application of the principle.  As an analogy, consider:
submitting proposals is regulated by the rules, and nowhere does it say that
anyone can submit a proposal to [insert your favorite effect here]; therefore
it is not a legal action to submit such proposals.  Game custom does not
in any way support such interpretations.

Constructing buildings is specifically permitted by the rules, and Pandora
appears to have performed that action in conformance with them.  The rules
do not forbid more than one building from occupying the same land, or even
from overlapping.  In fact, we already have some such.  This is an area
that might be open to patching.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:35:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What Phoebe Said

I picked up my 39th bridge hand of the night, after being scared the
previous hand when my partner asked for aces & kings, I indicated I
had no kings, and partner went on to bid 7 no-trump anyway, off two
kings, which was doubled, but which I made anyway because of one long
runnable suit and a second which became runnable when the queen fell
doubleton.  This hand seemed unusually thick; as I fanned out the
cards, a squashed, flattened matchbox fell out from between the cards.
I put it in my pocket at the time, not wanting to reveal the wisdom
of the ancients to my non-ackan partner and opponents, if that was
indeed Phoebe's matchbox.

That night, I pulled the matchbox out of my pocket, restored it back to
roughly its original shape, and opened the box.  Sure enough, a
flattened-looking steel flea lie motionless inside.  I shook her
seemingly lifeless body, and soon she awoke. She spoke (quite clearly,
it seemed, though it looks so garbled to me now), "Pkcmaz cmddaqaqazho
ajirhopkaznxpk ddnx ddho pkcmaz ujddfoaq ajabmmaqnx."  I rushed to get
paper to record this strange message, but when I returned, but the flea
and matchbox were nowhere to be found.  I didn't get a chance to find
out what this strange message meant, nor how her matchbox ended up flat
and in a deck of cards.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:44:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GBS Action

I pull the harfy lever on my GBS.

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       Check out the link below for the conclusion of ImpNom28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:44:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

> >>> You've already got a house there, that you may describe. Therefore you don't
> >>> need to pay A$ 100... maybe you'll get them back...
> >> 
> >> Hmmm, the rules are unclear, but thanks for the advice.
> >> 
> >> I reclaim any money paid to anyone for the previously described building.
> >
> >The building has already been built, so it looks like you're stuck
> >with two houses.
> 
> Hrm.. Buildings are regulated by the rules and no where does it say that
> two buildings can occupy the same kaa of land.  Since the land he claimed
> to be building on was already occupied by a house, then that is probably
> not a legal action according to the rules.

This is a question to all the ol' timers in Acka -- wasn't there a a 
proposal or some sort of declaration that said an infinite number of 
objects can fit in any one space?  I've run across a mention or two 
of it (or maybe an experiement in that direction) but no rule on it.  
Can anybody fill us in?

- -- Joe Java

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
       Check out the link below for the conclusion of ImpNom28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:50:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>This is an improper application of the principle.  As an analogy, consider:
>submitting proposals is regulated by the rules, and nowhere does it say that
>anyone can submit a proposal to [insert your favorite effect here]; therefore
>it is not a legal action to submit such proposals.  Game custom does not
>in any way support such interpretations.
>
>Constructing buildings is specifically permitted by the rules, and Pandora
>appears to have performed that action in conformance with them.  The rules
>do not forbid more than one building from occupying the same land, or even
>from overlapping.  In fact, we already have some such.  This is an area
>that might be open to patching.

I didn't see any overlapping on a brief look at the map, however, I
see your point above.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YAD.

Welcome, my friends, to yet another post of the most read citizen of 
Ackanomic.

Once again, today we'll we considering the turmoil and disrepute
surrounding the Presidency of Ackanomic and our esteemed leader, Slak
Willy.

Let's look back for a moment at the scandals which have croppe dup during
this administration:

- - Shady land deals on the fringes of the Wilds of Ackanomia.
- - The "Church" created by the Friends of Slakko (FoS) [and likely foreign
  agents of an Imperial Nomic] undoubtedly to peddle influence under the
  guise of righteousness.
- - Rumors of Slak Willy's use of the Gaoler during his term as Senator to 
  bring women up to his suite in Cow Town.
- - The (Un)dead returning to give gifts to FoS and surely before to long to
  cast votes in his favor. 
- - Imposing "big government" solutions on Societies, not allowing them to
  give away their money (even to help the Children), just because the
  "Rules" don't permit such gifts.

We can add another scandal to the list.  I have been telling you, my
friends, that we need campaign finance reform for lo these many years.
Finally I think you will see the value in the latest acts of our
President.  It seems that Slakko attempted to spend the money of OTHER
Ackanomic citizens to buy vote sin the lastest Presidential election.  To
add insult to injury, he is now refusing to repay those debts.  He has
even gone so far as to attempt to pass off conterfiet A$.  A complete
lack of honour and integrity.

Once again, that paragon of Virtue, ThinMan, has stood up to the forces of
Big Government.  He was the recipient of one of these bribes and
faithfully cast his vote as Paid For.  Is he wrong to expect that Slakko
wuld fulfill his end of the bargain and provide much needed Financing for
ThinMan's meritorious service?  I think not.

That is why I have accepted ThinMan's invitation to be his Second in a
Duel with Slakko, our President.  Slakko, I know you are reading this. You
are Formally challenged to a Duel for having attempted to purchase and
then merely steal on Ackanomic Presidential Election.

IdiotBoy
Second only to ThinMan.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2914 

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>

- ----
Create a new rule, numbered 343, named "Spellbooks", with text as follows
(delimited by OTYUGH):
- ----

The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Koxvolio  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:10:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

JT wrote:

[I wrote:]
>>This is an improper application of the principle.  As an analogy, consider:
>>submitting proposals is regulated by the rules, and nowhere does it say that
>>anyone can submit a proposal to [insert your favorite effect here]; therefore
>>it is not a legal action to submit such proposals.  Game custom does not
>>in any way support such interpretations.
>>
>>Constructing buildings is specifically permitted by the rules, and Pandora
>>appears to have performed that action in conformance with them.  The rules
>>do not forbid more than one building from occupying the same land, or even
>>from overlapping.  In fact, we already have some such.  This is an area
>>that might be open to patching.
>
>I didn't see any overlapping on a brief look at the map, however, I
>see your point above.

FYI: Vulcan Headquarters and Rule 1 is Repealed #1 Headquarters occupy
exactly the same land.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

Joe Java wrote:

>This is a question to all the ol' timers in Acka -- wasn't there a a 
>proposal or some sort of declaration that said an infinite number of 
>objects can fit in any one space?  I've run across a mention or two 
>of it (or maybe an experiement in that direction) but no rule on it.  
>Can anybody fill us in?

There was once an attempt to define sizes of things and to limit how
many things can fit in one space.  There was also once a proposal to
call a hearing regarding the size of a kaa of land.  The former failed,
and I think the latter succeeded, but I don't remember for sure.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2914 

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
> ----
> Create a new rule, numbered 343, named "Spellbooks", with text as follows
> (delimited by OTYUGH):
> ----
> 
> The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Title of message?
> Koxvolio  :-)
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> FYI: Vulcan Headquarters and Rule 1 is Repealed #1 Headquarters occupy
> exactly the same land.

Occupied.  R1iR#1HQ was destroyed.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:37:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YAD.

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> That is why I have accepted ThinMan's invitation to be his Second in a
> Duel with Slakko, our President.  Slakko, I know you are reading this. You
> are Formally challenged to a Duel for having attempted to purchase and
> then merely steal on Ackanomic Presidential Election.

Fortunately, my popularity ratings are so high I needn't deal with this
Duel, the second I have been Challenged to this month.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm untouchable until May 1st. (Courtesy of a Duel
with The Gingham Wearer).

So, no matter what you try to do, you somehow fail to actually issue the
challenge.  Perhaps it got stuck in the mail or something, or the dog ate
it.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>> FYI: Vulcan Headquarters and Rule 1 is Repealed #1 Headquarters occupy
>> exactly the same land.
>
>Occupied.  R1iR#1HQ was destroyed.

Oh, yeah.

ThinMan
Lamenting the elimination of small bits of Harf from Acka.
At least when he realizes no personal gain from it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:47:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: YAD.

Slakko wrote:

>> That is why I have accepted ThinMan's invitation to be his Second in a
>> Duel with Slakko, our President.  Slakko, I know you are reading this. You
>> are Formally challenged to a Duel for having attempted to purchase and
>> then merely steal on Ackanomic Presidential Election.
>
>Fortunately, my popularity ratings are so high I needn't deal with this
>Duel, the second I have been Challenged to this month.
>
>If you hadn't noticed, I'm untouchable until May 1st. (Courtesy of a Duel
>with The Gingham Wearer).

Is that so?  Well, we'll just have to see about that.

>So, no matter what you try to do, you somehow fail to actually issue the
>challenge.  Perhaps it got stuck in the mail or something, or the dog ate
>it.

That's what they all say.  The dog ate it, indeed.  Citizens of Acka,
observe the President's ducking, dodging, and weaving.  Surely a slicker
politician no land but one has ever seen.

ThinMan
"Help, Help!  I'm being oppressed!"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:31:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2914 

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
> 
> ----
> Create a new rule, numbered 343, named "Spellbooks", with text as follows
> (delimited by OTYUGH):
> ----
> 
> The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Does this actually count? I don't think any current player has the email
address of <[email-masked]>.  Actually, that reminds me about
something; do these voting results and proposal distributions actually count?

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:31:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More church

> > I am announcing my intent to found the church of the good ballot stuffer.
It
> > is intended not just for those who own GBSs but also for anyone who, like
me,
> > doesn't like EBSs. It will also be dedicated to opposing the church of
the
> > EBS.
> 
> I have been heretofore a one-church man, but I am willing to join the
> Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer.  After all, I built the only one in
> existence.  :-)

I am hereby founding a new church: "The Church of the Good Ballot Stuffer". I
am the founder and the members are:

IdiotBoy
Hubert
Joe Java
Alfvaen.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:31:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 574 (Pandora)

Pandora has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 574- April 21, 1998
Subject: Flatness
Initiator: Wild Card (sent April 20, 1998, 17:19)
Judge: Pandora (selected April 22, 1998, 11:15)
Judgement: 

Statement:
 The earth is not flat.

Initiator's Reasoning:
 It has one hemisphere attatched.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 575 (Rex Mundi)

Rex Mundi has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 575- April 21, 1998
Subject: Witch hunts
Initiator: Slakko (sent April 21, 1998, 11:55)
Judge: Rex Mundi (selected April 22, 1998, 11:21)
Judgement: 

Statement:
K 2 is not Enlightened.

Reasoning:
Rule 1307 only allows witchhunts when a player publicly refers to the
earth being round.  K 2 referred to the earth being banna.  There is no
proof in favour of or against the idea that banna-shaped is round, so we
cannot say that calling something banna-shaped is referring to it being
round.  K 2 did not say that Black is or is not a colour, and hence no
witchhunt could have been called on em.  Hence e was not Burned as a
Heretic, and hence e is not Enlightened.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2914 (fwd)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2914

The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Koxvolio

P.S. It must be from breadbox because he's the Promoter and it's not
official if it's not from him.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:26:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: wherever I lay my hat

>The building has already been built, so it looks like you're stuck
>with two houses.

Er, Rule 1129, or words to that effect.

In other words I'm complaining so I don't lose any money. I know it's
not really a penalty I'm complaining about, but it doesn't specify in Rule 1129
that it has to be.

As for the two buildings, if it is possible to have two buildings on a single
kaa of land, then they shall be described as follows:

The first is a Small green building with no remarkable features except for its
orange front door. It is known as Pandora's Box.

The second building, if it exists, is Puny and has no shape, colour or form.
You wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking very hard. It is known as
Pandora's Folly.

If I only have one building, then only the first description shall apply.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:53:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: Sounds good

I go to the library, and inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
I wish to play "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music.
I am placing A$ 5 into the slot on the control panel, whatever shape that slot
may be, even if it is earth-shaped.

The reason for my choice is that the song is used in a current British TV
commercial, and I have been reminded what a great song it is, so I would like
to remind everyone else of this fact.

While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:02:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

>I go to the library, and inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
>I wish to play "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music.
>I am placing A$ 5 into the slot on the control panel, whatever shape that slot
>may be, even if it is earth-shaped.
>
>The reason for my choice is that the song is used in a current British TV
>commercial, and I have been reminded what a great song it is, so I would like
>to remind everyone else of this fact.
>
>While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
>just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
>dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
>created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.

Okay, I cannot resist.
I just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song.
I make a fool of myself by dancing uncontrollably in my home.

(a players home is a common location by rule 839).

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2914

>Does this actually count? I don't think any current player has the email
>address of <[email-masked]>.  Actually, that reminds me about
>something; do these voting results and proposal distributions actually count?

I don't remember whether it made it into the rules, but game custom has
previously interpreted this sort of thing as official, correct, and from
the tabulator.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract proposal 2908.  An improved version will be submitted shortly.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:23:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2914 (fwd)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Indeed the Harf is back, here is your cap!

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Sounds good

Okay, I'll jump on the bandwagon.  If I am not already in a level of the
Monolith created by me (which I think I still am), I go there.

I just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song.
I dance uncontrollably, setting up resonances that make the entire
Monolith shake.  Anyone who cares to watch may look through the windows,
or come to my level, and see me make a fool of myself.  :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Wednesday, April 22, 1998 1:53 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Acka: Sounds good
>
>
>While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
>just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself
>by
>dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
>created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.
>
>Pandora
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:34:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

>I go to the library, and inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
>I wish to play "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music.
>I am placing A$ 5 into the slot on the control panel, whatever shape that slot
>may be, even if it is earth-shaped.
>
>The reason for my choice is that the song is used in a current British TV
>commercial, and I have been reminded what a great song it is, so I would like
>to remind everyone else of this fact.
>
>While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
>just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
>dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
>created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.
>
>Pandora

Oh, why not?

I just can't help dancing uncontrollably to that Truly Great song.

I am already in the Library, a named, common location.

I dance uncontrollably.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:41:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

>
>I just can't help dancing uncontrollably to that Truly Great song.
>
>I am already in the Library, a named, common location.
>
>I dance uncontrollably.
>
>AtP

I almost forgot.

I make a fool of myself in performing the above action.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:42:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Nominations and Selection

The following players nominated for the Optional Functional Office of
Nyarlathotep:

Slakko
JT
The Gingham Wearer
Vynd
ThinMan
Wild Card
/dev/joe

This is a really tough choice.  As President, I appoint
Wild Card
to the Office of Nyarlathotep.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:20:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

> While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
> just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
> dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
> created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.

I can't resist.  

I go to the Town Hall, a Common Location.

I just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song.

I dance on the Town Hall Steps.  Naked.  Uncontrollably, and making even
more of a complete fool of myself than is usual.

- -Hubert

More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:27:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:
> 
> > While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
> > just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
> > dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
> > created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.
> 
> I can't resist.  
> 
> I go to the Town Hall, a Common Location.
> 
> I just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song.
> 
> I dance on the Town Hall Steps.  Naked.  Uncontrollably, and making even
> more of a complete fool of myself than is usual.

Kay Too, Where Are You?

<Can anyone plagiarise the full lyrics?>
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:45:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

 I go to the Library, where the sound is loudest.

 "I just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song"

 I am making a fool of myself dancing uncontrollably in the Library.

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:49:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

> I go to the library, and inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
> I wish to play "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music.
> I am placing A$ 5 into the slot on the control panel, whatever shape that slot
> may be, even if it is earth-shaped.

> While this song remains on the Jukebox, any Player who publicly announces "I
> just can't help dancing to that Truly Great song" and makes a fool of emself by
> dancing uncontrollably in a named common location shall be gifted a trinket
> created by me with a guaranteed minimum value of A$ 2.

I cannot help myself. I MUST start dancing to that Truly Great Song, and
in so doing, make a fool of myself. I am in the Party Hall, as all good
swingers should be. Party on, dude.

Koxvolio

P.S. I take cash in place of trinkets, because I don't want to give the
Financier a Heart Attack.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:53:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sounds good

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> I cannot help myself. I MUST start dancing to that Truly Great Song, and
> in so doing, make a fool of myself. I am in the Party Hall, as all good
> swingers should be. Party on, dude.
> 
A bit late, sir.  But you do make yourself look foolish.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:56:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mmm Hmm Good

Today is Wednesday, the 22nd Day of April, the fourth Wednesday in the
month, and I am chewing the Gumball.  I am happy to note that the aberrant
images of the Spice Girls apparently present on the wrapper when the
Gumball was last chewed have now disappeared.  The Gumball instead has a
tesselation of fleas, designed to look very similar to the Escher lizards
tesselation.  The fleas alternately look like Ursula and Phoebe, with the
odd aperiodic appearance of Chet.  It is actually a Penrose tiling, which
is curved so as to have an apparently infinite number of tiles on the very
small finite space which is the Gumball wrapper.

And the Gumball itself?  This week it is Iced Coffee flavour, and it
tastes as if someone managed to fit a whole truckload of Iced Coffee into
just one little Gumball.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Mr. Lunatic Fringe.

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> 
> >> >Are you trying to get me into... an _argument_?
> >
> >E did not!  I wrote that!
> 
> No, you didn't.

Jeez!  I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

> ThinMan
> We do have Camembert.

- -Hubert
Mount Everest.  Forbidding, aloof, terrifying.
The mountain with the biggest tits in the world.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2915

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, nomicbot wrote:

> {{ Appoint Alfvaen to the position of Herald. [ As is traditional, if
> anyone else really wants it, I will resign and we can do the full
> Election thing. ] }}
> 
  I would quite like to, but I could only do it for about 8 weeks...

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Mr. Lunatic Fringe.

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> Jeez!  I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!
No one expects the Spanish Inquistion!  

Of course, with hubert around, who insists the earthe is not banna shaped,
perhaps we should.

rufus

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #121
*******************************