Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #102
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Monday, April 13 1998        Volume 03 : Number 102

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:03:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mashing with the Tater.

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> Ahhh, forget it. I don't have the energy.  I am exercising my privledge as
> Beldin's Tailor to amend the rule known as Beldin's Pants.
> 
> Replace the word "Garment" with "rule".

Has it turned into Give Alfvaen a Win Month?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:10:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Swingpoints and Stabber's Knives report 13/4

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

Apologies - following are some corrections on Swingpoint Totals.

> Total Swingpoints
> 58 /dev/joe
> 53 Slakko
Correction: Slakko has 54.
> 46 Niccolo Flychuck
Correction: Niccolo has 47.
> 35 Alfvaen
Correction: Alfvaen has 36.
> 31 Red Barn
Former Player, and has 32, not 31.

> 22 The Gingham Wearer
> 10 Koxvolio
>  9 rufus
>  6 Guy Fawkes
>  6 Hubert
>  5 Malenkai
Former player.
>  5 Fortunato
>  3 ThinMan
>  3 Vynd
>  3 two-star
>  2 Balsamic Dragon
Former Player.
I will move these to another separate list soon.
>  2 breadbox
>  2 Wild Card
>  2 Attila the Pun
>  1 Rex Mundi
>  1 else...if
> 
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:20:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2869

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > I think that if you want to be a Church Founder you should Found a Church.
> > This proposal purposely breaks the social dynamics built into the Church
> > rule, and IMO, is not different from legislating ourselves more a$
> > because some actin caused us to lose them, or any other fixit proposal.
> 
> The problem here is that the Markovian Dream's founder is no longer in the
> game.  Hence the Church is slightly hard to run, with no ability to ordain
> Priests,no ability to change Church Policy or trade entities.  I think
> that this proposal made the mistake of temporarily correcting a flaw in
> the Church proposal without making it a permanent fix.  
> 
> It is not right that a single player leaving the game should permanently
> cripple any Churches they might have founded.

This is not a flaw, nor is it 'not right'. It is a very basic principle of
the social dynamics of the Church concept. It does not attempt to model
real world religions, since they seem to thrive long after their founder
have given up on them, or died. The concept here is the Chruch grows as
long as the Foudner is a member of the Church. Once the Founder leaves the
Church, or the game, and consequently also the Church, then the Church
begins its period of decadence. It can still gather more followers, but it
can no longer increase its number of Priests. As long as the existing
Priest remain members of the Church, they can keep it going, however, if
they also leave, then further decadence, and even demise may be the fate
of the Church.  Founders and Priests can return to the Church, and regain
their full ranks and privileges, and thereby save it from a terrible fate,
and now there is also that Prophet thing. This is part of the dynamics of
a Church.
Church has social dynamics which this proposal attempts to break. The
players who joined the Church, which more a much more fragile construct
when the Church of the Markovian Dream, the first Church in acka history,
was Founded, they made a choice to be members of this kind of
Organization. 
I believe this proposal goes against the spirit of the Church concept.
The same players can always Found a new Church, name it so it would
commemorate the name of the Church of the Markovian Dream.

It has always been my opinion that choices to take actions should have
meaning. Thus taht each choice should have advantages and disadvantages
that must be weighed before one makes a decision. If we just propose away
these choices whenever we want to make an exception, the what's the point
of anyu of the structures we created here?

Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> > 
> > Mind you, in the case of The Cult of the Markovian Dream, there is no
> > property to speak of, as the Church transformed to a Cult before Cults
> > were able to retain any property.
> >
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> - -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
> Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:29:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2869

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Raquel Peres da Silva wrote:

> I understand Markovian Dream's problem, but I agree with Uri when he says
> that, in order to be a Church Founder, you should found a church. I think
> the best way to prevent founders from causing unrecoverable damage to the
> Churches when leaving the game would be creating a rule to transfer all the
> founder's rights and obligations to - let's say - the Senior Priest, as
> described on rule 1301/24. Therefore, I anounce my intention to vote NO for
> proposal 2869 and to submit a proposal as described above. Sugestions and
> comments are welcome.
> 
> Ayla

Thanks for agreeing ayla. btw- here in acka I am known as Niccolo
Flychuck. In another nomic I am known as Flychuckle, and a Internomic
Moderator I am known simply as Uri, which is not the name I use in any
nomic.
I think you will probably get support for such a proposal. I'm afraid,
howeve, that I will choose to stay a Church purist, and oppose it. I am
not saying that there should never a way to get another Founder, although
I am perfectly happy leaving it that way. But I think it should not be
that easy.
The way this works now is that only power restricted to a Founder is the
power to Ordain Priest and strip members of their Priesthood. This only
limits an aspect of Church expansion, and the way I see it, if the Founder
leaves the Church, that sorts of puts the ideological basis on which it
was founded in a different light.
I probably wouldn't oppose a mechanism to give a Senior Priest a one time
Founder Power for a single action, in the form of an appropriate,
preferably Rare, Otzma Card.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2869

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> > I understand Markovian Dream's problem, but I agree with Uri when he says
> > that, in order to be a Church Founder, you should found a church. I think
> > the best way to prevent founders from causing unrecoverable damage to the
> > Churches when leaving the game would be creating a rule to transfer all the
> > founder's rights and obligations to - let's say - the Senior Priest, as
> > described on rule 1301/24. Therefore, I anounce my intention to vote NO for
> > proposal 2869 and to submit a proposal as described above. Sugestions and
> > comments are welcome.
> > 
> > Ayla
> 
> Thanks for agreeing ayla. btw- here in acka I am known as Niccolo
> Flychuck. In another nomic I am known as Flychuckle, and a Internomic
> Moderator I am known simply as Uri, which is not the name I use in any
> nomic.
> I think you will probably get support for such a proposal. I'm afraid,
> howeve, that I will choose to stay a Church purist, and oppose it. I am
> not saying that there should never a way to get another Founder, although
> I am perfectly happy leaving it that way. But I think it should not be
> that easy.

This will basically come down to a question of ideologies.  These days,
given the need for four players to found a Church, why should one of them
be any more special than the others?  Creating a Church now is a
collaborative effort, and IMHO to say that one player leaving should
cripple the Church in the long term is no longer appropriate.

This isn't a question which can go much further with rational discourse -
we've barely touched the subject and we're already down to what people
believe to be best.  I would encourage Ayla to submit eir proposal and let
the Ackans decide.

Yours,
Slakko
who knows about new player Soft Penalties.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer
aka Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:38:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> If this proposal had simply stated, "Transfer all of Vulcan's possession
> save for trinkets, A$ and org powers to the Treasury," I wouldlike to
> think that it would be voted down, resoundingly.  Since the above is, in
> effect, what this proposal is intended to accomplish, I hope that it will

I think you are making some very big presumptions here about my
intentions.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:38:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Organized Rant

After a quick perusal of the newly-revised Organization rules, it seems to
me that it is more than pointless for any type of Organization except a
Church to own a Secret Lab.  Secret Labs create Gadgets "in the possession
of the Organization" which owns them, but Societies and Political Parties
are not allowed to possess Gadgets.  Even if the creation were to succeed,
the Orgs are, I think, forbidden from trading them.

In any case, I announce my intent to found a new and useless Church, the
Order of the Razor Boomerang.  I'm not going to bother with all the usual
mysticism (except for the fact that the Golden Frog mumbled something to
me about how e would "be back soon") because this Church creation is an
obvious and blatant attempt to get the Razor Boomerangs a working and
useful Secret Lab.  I invite all other members of the Razor Boomerangs,
and indeed, those others of Acka who so desire, to join this new and
wonderful religion.  You have seven days.  This message will then
self-destruct.

I'm sorry to those who have to harf this, but I don't see any other way to
get a Secret Lab with the Org rules the way they are.

- -Hubert

Dyslexic Cultist Sells Soul To Santa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:41:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SHEEP

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
> 
> > On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> > 
> > > I apply for membership in SHEEP again.
> > > 
> > > TGW.
> > > 
> > 
> > Make it so.
> Energize.
> (I concur).
Engage.
(permission to come aboard granted)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:42:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SHEEP

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> >On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> >> 
> >> > I apply for membership in SHEEP again.
> >> > 
> >> > TGW.
> >> > 
> >> 
> >> Make it so.
> >Energize.
> Engage.
> (I agree.)
> 
> ThinMan
Oh well, I guess I was beaten to it. I guess me else could hold it much
longer..

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: new church and other actions

I hereby join the church 'The order of the Razor Boomerang'.
I also journey to the library and go to *that* room.
I am of course in search of forbidden knowledge.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:47:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I want an Otzma card!

Dear Ackans,

I would like to have an Otzma card of the Paratroop flavour. 3 of you have
them, and this would be by far the easiest way to acquire one.

Would any of you like to sell it to me?

I would pay (!) any reasonable demands, although not if they're related to
the current market price of Good Ballot Stuffers.

:-)

Koxvolio.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:52:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> All my earlier arguments aside, what is the point of this proposal?  How
> does it benefit anyone?  It takes things away from people who have every
> right to their ownership, and gives them nothing in return.  It does this
> because recent changes in the org rules left some untidy but, so far as
> anyone has indicated to date, harmless loopholes.  I don't think the

No. It tidies up after players. The rule, as  stands, does not exhibit
that specific loophole.  All Organizations had ample time to distribute
such entities among their members. I don't see any reason why an
Organization should be rewarded for illegaly owning entities.

When Slakko was hosed, and Odo was drained of funds because of it, I
didn't call out "give me my A$ back" in fact, IIRC, I voted against such a
proposal.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:04:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: more questions

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Silke Schaeper wrote:

> Dear Uri,
> 
> thank you for replying to my questions.
> In the meantime, I have accumulated some new ones.
> 
> 1) When trying to work with TELIX, the slow scrolling of
> the screendisplay occurred every time I tried using it.
> I am sure that it has something to do with the configuration
> but I don`t bother anymore. At present, I am writing with
> KERMIT at 2400 baudrate (slow...).
> I got the TELIX diskette from Actcom.
 - does it happen at specific times of the day, or at any time you
connect?
 - what init string do you use for the modem?
 - when you connect with telix, what carrier speed do you get?

> 
> 2) I will try to solve the Umlaute problems (error messages
> relating to different ISO standards) by working through
> Windows. In order to do so, I ordered and 
> received the INTERKIT diskettes from actcom and have installed them.
> However, I did not succeed to acces the EUDORA site, where I am
> supposed to download the e-mail program. I shall try again at night.
> Is there another way of receiving the EUDORA software ?
you can connect to ftp.qualcomm.com with the ws_ftp program
the directory is /eudora/eudoralight/windows/english/305
filename is 305eul.exe
and make sure you download it in binary mode. 
It's a big file and the download could take between 30 and 60 min,
depending on your modem speed.

> 
> 3) The Telix-software is not free - each time one enters it,
> one is reminded to subscribe to it. Is the use of TELIX without
> paying the fees legal (does actcom have an agreement with TELIX ?) ?
I'll forward this to the approp. dept. at Actcom.

> 
> 4) At which site can I get an Internet-browser which will enable
> me to look at websites ?
Full instructions for this are are at the end of this letter

> 
> My computer has the following
> definition: 8 MB memory, 500 MB disk, b/w screen (LCD), 386 processor.
> 
> 5) Can I transfer my addressbook from PINE to EUDORA  ?
Full insturction for this too are at the end of this letter, right below
the other instructions.

> 
> Thank you in advance for your help,
> 
> 
> Silke Schaeper
> 

							November 8 1997

How do I download NetScape?
===========================

1)  Connect to the internet using the 'TcpMan' icon in your 'internet'
    group.

2)  Double-click the 'Ws_Ftp' icon in the 'internet' group.

3)  Click the 'connect' button at the bottom left corner of the screen.

4)  A 'Session Profile' screen will emerge.

5)  Click the downward arrow button under 'profile name'.

6)  Choose the connection 'Netscape' from the pre-defined list.

7)  Make sure 'ftp.tau.ac.il' is written under 'Host Name'.

8)  If something else is written under 'Host Name' change it to the
    address mentioned in step 7.

9)  Make sure 'UNIX (standard)' is written under 'Host Type'.

10) Make sure the 'anonymous login' box is checked.

11) Under the 'Initial Directories' section at the lower part of the
    screen, type in
  '/pub/netscape/navigator/3.04/shipping/english/windows/windows3.1/navigator_gold_complete'
    under 'Remote Host'.

12) Under the 'Initial Directories' section at the lower part of the
    screen, type in the directory you wish to download netscape to in your
    PC, under 'Local PC'. A good choice should be 'c:\internet\netscape\'
    since it already exists. 

13) Click the 'Save' button at the upper part of the screen.

14) Now click 'OK'.

15) You are now connected to the Tel Aviv university's server and are
    ready to start downloading a copy of Netscape to your computer.

16) At the top part of the screen you should see the local directory on
    your PC. This is the directory you supposedly chose on step 13.

17) At the lower part of the screen you should see the contents of the 
    directory on the hebrew university's server.

18) A list of files should appear on the lower part of the screen.

19) Choose 'g16e304p.exe'.

20) Click once on the the file.

21) Click the 'Receive' button at the lower part of the screen.

22) The file downloading should start, followed by a progress bar on
    your screen.

23) Please note that these files are pretty big and the download should
    take approximately 1 hour depending on the file you have chosen and of
    course on the type of modem you have.

24) The file will be downloaded to the local directory you have chosen on
    step 13.

25) After the download has finished , you can shut down the 'Ws-Ftp'
    program and the internet connection as well.

26) Now all that's left to do is to install the executable file you have
    downloaded.

27) Click 'File' in the windows main menu.

28) Click 'Run'.

29) Click 'Browse' and locate the directory where you have downloaded the
    file into.

30) Choose the file and click "OK".

31) The file will extract itself automatically to the directory it is
    located in.

32) If an error message pops up asking if you would like to overwrite an
    exisiting file please answer 'n' .

33) After the file has finished extracting itself in the dos-like black
    window return to the file manager window and press 'F5' on your
    keyboard.  This refreshes the directory contents and you should now 
    be able to see a file called 'setup.exe' . Click this file once and
    execute it.     

34) If the setup program prompts you with the question:
    'Use existing .ini file or overwrite?' choose - use existing .ini
    file.

35) Netscape installation should now begin. 

36) The installation shall prompt you with a few questions mainly
    regarding where would you like to install the Netscape browser to.

**NOTE! the word 'Click' refers to a single left mouse button click unless 
        mentioned otherwise. 

- -----------------------------------------

To move your addressbook from Pine to Eudora:

1. Download the file '.addressbook' from your account to your PC and place 
   it in the directory with the Eudora program.
2. Edit the file using any standard text editor to be in the following 
   format:

alias name1 address1
alias name2 address2
alias name3 address3

   where name1, name2, name3, etc. are the nicknames, and address1, 
   address2, address3, etc. are the coresponding addresses.

3. Save the file in TEXT (ASCII) format.
4. Copy the file 'nnbase.txt' to 'nnbase.old' if it exists
5. Rename the address file to 'nnbase.txt'
6. Start Eudora and check that everything works ok.

Note: unlike Pine, Eudora does not include the actual address in the 
'To:' line of the letter.

Uri
Actcom Staff

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:07:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : please forgive my previous letter!

Not only did my previous letter fail to have the acka subject line, it had
nothing to do with acka, and I greatly apologize for having sent it to
acka at all. It's late night ( or early morning). and it was a mistake.

Niccolo Flychuckl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:18:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: more questions

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:04:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: Ackanomic <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: more questions

I am tempted to call a snowgod's disease hearing on NF, but since this
shows he has to do ISP technical support, which has been known to cause
all sorts of anti-social behaviour, I shan't.

rufus
BT,DT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:48:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Query

I may have inaccurate information,
But has else...if returned from Vacation?

And not to give the fire any more fuel,
but can Vacationers Challenge to Duel?

My current album
Is "The Other Side of Life";
by The Moody Blues.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:14:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> 
> > 
> > All my earlier arguments aside, what is the point of this proposal?  How
> > does it benefit anyone?  It takes things away from people who have every
> > right to their ownership, and gives them nothing in return.  It does this
> > because recent changes in the org rules left some untidy but, so far as
> > anyone has indicated to date, harmless loopholes.  I don't think the
> 
> No. It tidies up after players. The rule, as  stands, does not exhibit
> that specific loophole.  All Organizations had ample time to distribute
> such entities among their members. I don't see any reason why an
> Organization should be rewarded for illegaly owning entities.

OK, perhaps I missed something.  As I said earlier, I have not been able
to keep up with Acka lately.  As far as I know, the only "ample time" you
could mean here was before the changes were made.  The rules as they stand
now specifically forbid Political Parties from trading anything but A$,
trinkets, and org powers.  A bare two weeks ago, everything Vulcan owned
was entirely legal for us to possess.  We have had no real opportunity to
deal with this situation, even less of an opportunity if you consider the
fact that Proposal 2849 was submited only a week after it became illegal
for Vulcan to own these things.  I can see you arguing that Shell #10,
which appears to still be able to trade their gadgets etc, even if they
aren't supposed to be in their possession, should have done something by
now.  But since Vulcan is powerless to transfer these entities itself,
just what is it you would have us do?

> 
> When Slakko was hosed, and Odo was drained of funds because of it, I
> didn't call out "give me my A$ back" in fact, IIRC, I voted against such a
> proposal.
> 

I think the circumstances here are vastly different.  One individual,
acting in accordance with Rules already in effect, caused Odo to lose its
cash.  He didn't write a proposal that said, "take all of Odo's money
away."  If he had, and it had passed, I think the other members of Odo
would have every right to be upset.

In another message, you claimed that I was making presumptions about your
motives when I implied that your proposal would take away most of Vulcan's
entities.  I was not.  I said nothing of your motives.  Under the
circumstances, they don't much matter.  Because the only affect of your
proposal is to take away the things Vulcan and Shell #10 own.  They're the
only orgs that own anything that could be taken.  Whether or not this was
your intention, your desire, or the purpose of your proposal, it is most
certainly the affect of the proposal.  And it is this affect against which
I most strongly protest.

No one ever asked Vulcan to divest ourselves of these entities.  We
acquired them through entirely legal means.  Make it legal for us to
voluntarily get rid of them, and we most assuredly will.  But you
cannot claim that we are in some way negligent for possessing these
things.  Your proposal will have the effect of punishing Vulcan, stripping
it of its valueables.  Yet Vulcan has done nothing wrong.  Neither, might
I add, has Shell #10, regardless of whether or not they could have traded
their Spaceship away.  

Taking your proposal for what it is, not for any supposed intentions
behind it, it is harsh and unjust.  It harms Vulcan and Shell #10
substantially, and for virtually no gain for Acka.  Compared to other
possibilities open to us through proposals, this option looks even
harsher.  If Niccolo or anyone else can explain why it is necessary
to strip these entities from their owners without giving us any
alternatives or compensation, I would be astounded to hear it.

It is apparent that Niccolo will not be retracting this proposal.  So all
of this aruging may go for naught.  All I can do now is ask that the other
citizens of Acka come forward and oppose this.  Vote NO on Proposal 2849.

> Niccolo Flychuck
> 

                                     - Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Beldin's Pants V

Rules of Logic be suspended!
How is Beldin's Pants amended?

Rule 940 says the Praetor
Can this tell you, now or later.

It can be changed by Beldin's Tailor,
Even if e be the Gaoler.

Or one who reads "The Secret" in
"That book", the Ackanomicin.

Or holder of three types of cheese,
And a Cheez-Whiz, if you please.

And then, of course, the normal means, 
Proposals, worth much more than beans.

State of Crisis Resolution
Documents, 'nother solution.

Other such means may exist,
But no more the Vulcan fist.

Now, as Praetor, I amend
Rule 940, to append:

Antxina is an entity,
nontradeable, unique, and free.

Antxina's owner may decree,
By taking action publicly,

That eir score has reached the Magic
Number--not so very tragic.

E may also take
Money from the Treasury
To make a trinket.

This trinket may be
Worth up to five thousand of
the Ackadollar.

Or e may gain a kind of cheese,
Any kind that e may please.

The Chartreuse Goose, that silly bird,
To any play'r e may forward.

Antxina also is a Ship
of Space; to moons e may well trip.

E may destroy Antxina, 'pon
Which time this verse shall then be gone.

{{ Antxina shall be transferred to
Alfvaen, Speaker.  [How'd ya knoo?] }}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:27:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> 
> > If this proposal had simply stated, "Transfer all of Vulcan's possession
> > save for trinkets, A$ and org powers to the Treasury," I wouldlike to
> > think that it would be voted down, resoundingly.  Since the above is, in
> > effect, what this proposal is intended to accomplish, I hope that it will
> 
> I think you are making some very big presumptions here about my
> intentions.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 

I have made no presumptions about your intentions.  Through the use of
some deductions, I have determined that this proposal will have two major
affects:

It will "transfer all of Vulcan's possessions save for trinkets, A$, and
org powers to the Treasury."

It will do the same for Shell #10, which I admit I missed before.

This is the only thing that proposal 2849 can or ever will do.  It even
repeals the rule it creates after the above-mentioned actions are
complete.  Granted it does not outright say, "we're taking X, Y and Z",
but it is no presumption on my part to say that this is what it will, in
fact, do.

If you can see some unfair presumption of mine in the above, please do
point it out.  If you do so, however, explain how what I am saying is
false.

                                    - Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Beldin's Pants Va

One means of amending neglected,
My face is now much red complected.
The Praetor, of course,
That possessor of force,
Rule 940 may change, once elected.

If the below has not yet been done,
Then I repeat as I had begun:

Now, as Praetor, I amend
Rule 940, to append:

Antxina is an entity,
nontradeable, unique, and free.

Antxina's owner may decree,
By taking action publicly,

That eir score has reached the Magic
Number--not so very tragic.

E may also take
Money from the Treasury
To make a trinket.

This trinket may be
Worth up to five thousand of
the Ackadollar.

Or e may gain a kind of cheese,
Any kind that e may please.

The Chartreuse Goose, that silly bird,
To any play'r e may forward.

Antxina also is a Ship
of Space; to moons e may well trip.

E may destroy Antxina, 'pon
Which time this verse shall then be gone.

{{ Antxina shall be transferred to
Alfvaen, Speaker.  [How'd ya knoo?] }}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:32:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Beldin's Pants VI

Taking the Antxina in hand,
I state, across the land,

Giants, do no longer Slumber!
I take for Score the Magic Number.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:48:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

>No. It tidies up after players. The rule, as  stands, does not exhibit
>that specific loophole.  All Organizations had ample time to distribute
	Untrue.  Shell#10's Silver Spaceship wasn't created until just
about the time that the rules changed, and I didn't have a chance to get it.

>such entities among their members. I don't see any reason why an
>Organization should be rewarded for illegaly owning entities.
	Not rewarded, we should just be able to get them this once.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query

>I may have inaccurate information,
>But has else...if returned from Vacation?
>
>And not to give the fire any more fuel,
>but can Vacationers Challenge to Duel?
	Er, sorry.  I return from vacation.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:00:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Help, help, we're being oppressed!

> >such entities among their members. I don't see any reason why an
> >Organization should be rewarded for illegaly owning entities.
> 	Not rewarded, we should just be able to get them this once.
> 
> -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

I do tend to think that all property currently owned illegally should be
'amnestied' to allow one week for the organisation to dispose of it by
consensus in any way they see fit. (Would require temporary
precedence over other rules, but only *temporary* so we might as well 
let them...)

After that, have it revert to the Treasury, because by then those orgs
will deserve to lose everything. That would be a mighty case of Faffing
(flailing, spannering whatever) indeed.

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:43:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Beldin's Pants V

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Rules of Logic be suspended!
> How is Beldin's Pants amended?

[deletia]

Alas, dear Alfvaen, this doth fail --
Why's embedded in this tale.

Il y a longtemps, I did beseech
From Praetor Ackans thee Impeach,

And borne of this Impeachment paper
Came a long and sordid caper,

For once thou wast the Praetor acting,
Thou could not Beldin be impacting.

And then, in scamming, spamming action,
Th'impeachment paper met retraction.

But this one fact wast then ignored --
To Praetor thou wast not restored.

I filed again, but surely -- rot!
Thou lacked the Office; it happened not.

The time since then has seen not feat
To make thy Praetorship complete.

Sorry, Acting Praetor, curs't
For making thee hear out this verse.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ackanomic Cyclopedia of Knowledge extra edition

A c k a n o m i c   C y c l o p e d i a   o f   K n o w l e d g e
Volume 1, issue 3

This issue follows up a topic from the first issue of ACK and which was
discussed on Ackanomic IRC recently.

I was trying to prove that 2^p != 1 mod 5^n for integers n and p,
with 0<p<4*5^(n-1) and n>0 to complete my proof of one of the problems
in Douglas Zare's math contest.  [The number 4*5^(n-1) here is the
totient number of 5^n: the number of integers from 0 to 5^n which
are relatively prime to 5^n -- in this case, simply all the ones not
divisible by 5.]  (If this doesn't look like one of the problems on the
test to you, don't worry, it's an intermediate step I believed true
without proof, which I had used to prove one of the problems, and
which I was now trying to prove.)

I had hoped there was some general method that would apply, but looking at
5^2 = 1 mod 2^3 while totient(2^3)=4 discouraged me, and set me to trying
to prove it by induction.  [What are the requirements on a, b, and n for
a^p != 1 mod b^n for 0<p<totient(b^n) to hold?  Relatively prime a and b
is not enough!]

I broke it down into two sub-cases; since I knew 2^[4*5^(n-1)] = 1 mod 5^n,
any lesser number equal to 1 mod 5^n would result in either 2^[2*5^(n-1)]
or 2^[4*5^(n-2)] being equal to 1 mod 5^n.  I eliminated the 2^[2*5^(n-1)]
case easily since all those numbers equal 4 mod 5.  The other case was
tougher, but I proved the trend I saw in the first few numbers -- that
2^[4*5^(n-2)] = 3*5^(n-1)+1 mod 5^n.  I am omitting the details here, but
I'll note that I expanded a binomial raised to the 5th power and knocked
out terms divisible by 5 sufficiently many times.  Figuring out how to
increase the modulus at each step was tricky.

This makes 17 of the 20 problems in that contest which I have now proved.
I didn't expect to get anywhere near this far, but here I am.  There are
also bonus points for generalizations of the problems, which I have very
few of so far, and which I suspect may be the key to winning this contest.
Unfortunately, since I didn't have a general way to prove this step, I
don't have a generalization for this problem.  [In fact, the first
problem in the contest is the only one where I have made a good solid
generalization so far, but I have made a couple other attempts, and there
was one problem I found could be interpreted two different ways, which I
solved both ways -- a proof in one case and a disproof in the other.]

Unless I come up with some more generalizations, what I have done so
far will likely be the end of my work on this contest, though I have a
month and a half left before the deadline.  Wish me luck!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:12:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Beldin's Pants V

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> I filed again, but surely -- rot!
> Thou lacked the Office; it happened not.
>
> The time since then has seen not feat
> To make thy Praetorship complete.

Guy Fawkes is too, too right, it seems,
And has dashed Alfvaen's fondest dreams --

But wait!  'Pon looking somewhat closer,
The Rules become a bit verboser.			[Sorry.]

Can Acting Officers be beridden
With IPs?  It ain't forbidden.

Your second IP happened, then,
Came to term (and failed, ye ken).

Since the IP died on Thursday noon,
'Vaen was restored thereafter soon,

And there's no reason, death exempt,
For em to fail in this attempt.

- -Hubert

Two thirds of Americans can't do fractions. The other half just doesn't 
care. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Nyarlathotep

Vell, vot can I zay... I mizread ze 20 as 30, zo I zought I vas ztill
beeldeeng Nyarlathotep... zorry. I vas zinking ov ze 30 dayz! shell be
rezigneeng az Mad Zcientizt ez zoon ez Nyarlathotep eez beelt!

I heff azzembled ze bluepreent for Nyarlathotep!

Ze text iz:

After successfully reattaching a building, Nyarlathotep is destroyed. If a
player leaves any Location, and it is otherwise unclear or undefined which
Location they go to, or the specified destination does not exist, or they
cannot go to their Home, they go to Nyarlathotep. Every other Saturday
Nyarlathotep is transferred to a random active player. Nyarlathotep causes the
cycle to immediately end. Each recipient of Nyarlathotep gains 1 win every
Thursday at noon. Nyarlathotep is eligible for the office of Chess-Umpire. To
perform an action specified by Nyarlathotep to be Illegal is the Crime of
Illegal Action. Nyarlathotep is called granting Sanctuary of Salvation. The
effects (if any) of reading a Nyarlathotep of the Ackanomicon occur as soon as
it is publicly knowable which page has been read. The Player that currently
holds Nyarlathotep will gain three extra
points for each proposal of his that is accepted while he holds Nyarlathotep.
A Nyarlathotep will stay under the control of another player until it is
no longer a Nyarlathotep, the controlling player himself becomes
Nyarlathotep, or someone kisses that Nyarlathotep. There exists an optional
Functional Office of Nyarlathotep. Nyarlathotep is said to be buried deep
underground. Nyarlathotep may remove the Ambassador from office. If the Amber
Banana Tree was destroyed, Nyarlathotep receives the Amber
Banana Tree Seed. If a player manages to legitimately exercise Nyarlathotep 3
times within a 48 hour period, they will be dubbed a Crazy Scotsman. No
officers may distribute Nyarlathoteps during a Nyarlathotep Moratorium.
Nyarlathotep is an entity that can only be destroyed by Acid Rain. A player
who possesses the Nyarlathotep may not win the Cycle.
Whenever the Nyarlathotep is transferred from one player to another, the Great
Tuba is given to the player who just lost the Nyarlathotep. If ever a player
owns Nyarlathotep then e will achieve a winning condition.

Ze last pert vas zubmeeted by zomeone whose name beegeens vith an "h", and haz
"ubert" az ze remainder ov ze name!

Ze detailz ov ze zubmeesheeons!

/dev/joe, Rule 949:
After successfully reattaching a building, Nyarlathotep is destroyed.
Fortunato, Rule 835:
If a player leaves any Location, and it is otherwise unclear or
undefined which Location they go to, or the specified destination does
not exist, or they cannot go to their Home, they go to Nyarlathotep.
Red Barn, Rule 101 - rejected (rule 101 not created by proposal):
Nyarlathotep is a self-modifying game of rules.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 836
Every other Saturday Nyarlathotep is transferred to a random active player.
K2, Rule 1320.
Nyarlathotep causes the cycle to immediately end.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 940:
Each recipient of Nyarlathotep gains 1 win every Thursday at noon.
Alfvaen, Rule 1230.2:
Nyarlathotep is eligible for the office of Chess-Umpire.
Red Baron, Rule 701:
To perform an action specified by Nyarlathotep to be Illegal is the Crime
of Illegal Action."
Slagothor, Rule 1307:
Nyarlathotep is called granting Sanctuary of Salvation.
Vynd, Rule 910:
The effects (if any) of reading a Nyarlathotep of the Ackanomicon occur as
soon as it is publicly knowable which page has been read.
K2, Rule 902:
The Player that currently holds Nyarlathotep will gain three extra
points for each proposal of his that is accepted while he holds
Nyarlathotep.
Alfvaen, Rule 261:
A Nyarlathotep will stay under the control of another player until it is
no longer a Nyarlathotep, the controlling player himself becomes
Nyarlathotep, or someone kisses that Nyarlathotep.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 429:
There exists an optional Functional Office of Nyarlathotep.
Slagothor, Rule 1013:
Nyarlathotep is said to be buried deep underground.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 415:
Nyarlathotep may remove the Ambassador from office.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 921:
If the Amber Banana Tree was destroyed, Nyarlathotep receives the Amber
Banana Tree Seed.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 1129:
If a player manages to legitimately exercise Nyarlathotep 3 times within
a 48 hour period, they will be dubbed a Crazy Scotsman.
K2, Rule 940 - rejected (already in blueprint):
Each recipient of Nyarlathotep gains 1 win every Thursday at noon.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 415:
No officers may distribute Nyarlathoteps during a Nyarlathotep Moratorium.
The Gingham Wearer, Rule 923:
Nyarlathotep is an entity that can only be destroyed by Acid Rain.
K2, Rule 602:
A player who possesses the Nyarlathotep may not win the Cycle.
K2, Rule 901:
Whenever the Nyarlathotep is transferred from one player to another, the Great
Tuba is given to the player who just lost the Nyarlathotep.
H****t, Rule 611:
If ever a player owns Nyarlathotep then e will achieve a winning
condition.

Vunce again, my apologeez!

Rex Mundi!

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #102
*******************************