Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #97
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Friday, April 10 1998        Volume 03 : Number 097

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:51:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 561 (FALSE)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> JT has judged this FALSE
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 561 - April 9, 1998
> Subject: Step to it
> Initiator: Attila the Pun (sent April 8, 1998, 22:57)
> Judge: JT (selected April 9, 1998, 06:54)
> Judgement: FALSE

I appeal this (well the CFJ number is wrong, but I deleted the message
with the correct number.)  My objection is that the Judge has attempted to
make the rules do somthing that they don't explicitly do.  The middle Town
Hall Steps have the names of the Elders on them, but their order is not
explicitly spelled out.  In fact, neither is their manipulation, so a
player can reorder them, as this has no effect on game state.  Further,
the Judge seems to be introducing the concept of legislative intent.  Acka
has been free of this, and the rules do what they say, even when it is
clear to all that what they say is not what they were intended to say.
(Common sense reports excluded;  but there is a check to them.)  This
leads to some silly situations; but it prevents more problems than in
causes.

rufus

> 
> Statement:
> It is impossible to determine whether or not the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe"
> is inscribed on any given one of the risers of the steps leading up to the
> Town Hall without going outside the Rules.
> 
> Initiator's Reasoning:
> Rule 2819, which governs the Town Hall, states the following:
> 
> ...
> > At any moment in time there is exactly one more
> > step than there are players enshrined in the hall of Elders (material and
> > labour required for construction is generously provided by the Ackanomic
> > Construction Guild Inc.). Engraved on the riser of each step in gold
> > lettering is the name of an Elder, starting with the most recently inducted
> > on the top most step. On the bottom most step in the language of the
> > ancients is the phrase "Said the Tensor: Let Their Be Harf".
> ...
> 
> No other rule appears to forbid any of this, so it is true.
> 
> The name on the top step is that of the most recently inducted Elder. 
> However,
> the rule makes no specification as to the order in which the remaining names
> are assigned to the remaining steps.  Thus nothing forbids the name "Mr.
> Lunatic Fringe", which is the name of an Elder, from going on any step other
> than the top and the bottom.  Therefore the possibility cannot be ruled out
> from this rule that the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" appears on any riser other
> than the top or bottom ones.  Since no other rule makes mention of the Town
> Hall steps, there is no Rule-sanctioned mechanism for determining the
> position
> of the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" or any other Elder's name.
> 
> Judge's Reasoning:
>   There are two possible ways to read the rule quoted.  One interpretation
> is the purely literal which Attila the Pun has chosen.  However, there is
> another consistant reading which if a little bit of common sense is used
> can also provide a useful and consistant interpretation of the rule while
> at the same time providing a logical ordering over Elder's names as applied
> to steps.
>   This second ordering assumes the intent for new steps to be placed at
> the top of the staircase (newest inductee is always at the top) and not
> to change the order of any lower steps.  With this, all future inductees
> are most certainly ordered correctly.  Applying the same assumptions, it
> should be obvious that the ordering intended of the steps was newest
> inductee at the top, and then next newest inductee, down to the first
> inductee on the step above the first step and the words on the bottomost
> step.
>   Since there is an intelligble ordering, albeit implicit from the wording
> and intent of the rule, I judge this CFJ to be FALSE.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Treasure Found (CnH, Mad Sculptor)

breadbox has found the Treasure consisting of the Trinket of Awesome,
Near-Infinite Possibilities, and an Automatic Sculpture, which
instantly turns itself into Sculpture 11.  (Calvin N Hobbes is
its Mad Sculptor.)

This was my title and delimiter quiz, where I wanted to know if people
could figure out how I came up with some of the strange titles and
delimiters in my Proposals.  The key word here was "some"; several
people thought there was some monolithic method I used all the time,
but I was curious to see if people could make the individual links
between Proposal topic, title, and delimiters.

The map goes something like this:

"Entries for the Title & Delimiter Quiz may be sent to Alfvaen, and
shall be marked entirely subjectively based to how difficult each
Title/Delimiter was to guess, and how closely the guesser followed
Alfvaen's thought patterns.  Furthermore, before the treasure can be
found, at least three lengthy entries must be received."

Fortunato had sent in some early guesses, and /dev/joe as well a couple
of months back, but breadbox's more recent, and longer, entry was the
winner.  I'll let em share the details of eir guesses(and my response;
since I don't archive outgoing mail I don't have it anymore and I don't
want to type it all again)as e wishes.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Robert Plant:Now And Zen
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Barney: what you get when you feed a Smurf after midnight

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 06:07:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Count Tabula Reports

I, your ephemeral Count Tabula, am hereby providing the following
reports on various voting activities.

* The Public Health Emergency called on K 2 by somebody:

K 2 was found to not be infected.

   "Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!"
[this space intentionally left blank]

    "No, e, uh, meant to do that."
breadbox
The Gingham Wearer
Rex Mundi
Rex Mundi's Evil Ballot Stuffer
rufus
else...if
Slakko
Attila the Pun

(Yes, I think it was pretty screamingly obvious that K 2 meant to do
that....)

* The Phoebe Hearing called by breadbox on whatsisname:

The Phoebe post was found to be legitimate.

    "Phoebe would never say anything so crass"
breadbox
rufus
ThinMan
ThinMan's Evil Ballot Stuffer

    "Phoebe said much the same thing to me once"
Slakko
Koxvolio
Koxvolio's Evil Ballot Stuffer
JT
/dev/joe
The Gingham Wearer
else...if
Hubert
Attila the Pun
Alfvaen
K 2

Well, so much for that. Now, on to the Nominations....

* Nomination for Office of Deejay:

Two candidates stepped forward.

Alfvaen
Hubert

Well, this is a nicely ludicrous situation. Not only are there zero
empty seats in this Office, making this enforced Election a bunch of
BWG, but I honestly cannot actually tell if Hubert is an eligible
Nominee or not. To be sure, he is not eligible to hold two Seats in
the same Office, but this Election is for a nonexistant Seat. The
really stupid part, though, is that even if Alfvaen is the only
eligible nominee, the Election still has to be held, because there
would still be more candidates (i.e., one) than seats (i.e., zero).

I suppose it doesn't really matter, since nothing will happen as a
result of this Election, no matter how people vote.

* Nomination for Office of Senator (Seat Melvin):

SIX volunteers. This may be a record for a Senatorial position.

The Gingham Wearer
IdiotBoy
JT
K 2
Koxvolio
Rex Mundi

I also received a nomination from Vynd, *and* one from /dev/joe.
Ha ha ha.

(I should note that Rex Mundi is currently an Acting Senator, and for
the same seat that is being filled by this election. This doesn't make
him ineligible, unlike his fun-loving colleagues, unless some new rule
got slipped in when I wasn't looking.)

And that is that.

I now doff my Count Tabula hat and slip on my Tabulator headgear, and
announce:

I am appointing The Gingham Wearer to the Office of Count Tabula.

To him will fall the duties of conducting the Elections proper, as
well as any other Tabula-harfed business that the future may bring.

Thank you, and good night.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:12:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 562 appeal (Guy Fawkes and /dev/joe)

rufus has appealed this and once again it goes to the cortex of Guy Fawkes
and /dev/joe. It also gives me a chance to change the number :-). And a quick
note, it makes things easier for the CotC and the web harfer/assistant web
harfer in charge of maintaining the CFJ archives (well fancy that, me in both
cases!) if you specifically indicate what is your appeal reasoning. Another
note: would people rather I post these updates when a CFJ is appealed or not?
Would it be sufficient just to mail the members of the cortex involved?

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 562 - April 9, 1998
Subject: Step to it
Initiator: Attila the Pun (sent April 8, 1998, 22:57)
Judge: JT (selected April 9, 1998, 06:54)
Judgement: FALSE
Appealed by: rufus
To the Cortex of: Guy Fawkes and /dev/joe
Judgement:

Statement:
It is impossible to determine whether or not the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe"
is inscribed on any given one of the risers of the steps leading up to the
Town Hall without going outside the Rules.

Initiator's Reasoning:
Rule 2819, which governs the Town Hall, states the following:

...
> At any moment in time there is exactly one more
> step than there are players enshrined in the hall of Elders (material and
> labour required for construction is generously provided by the Ackanomic
> Construction Guild Inc.). Engraved on the riser of each step in gold
> lettering is the name of an Elder, starting with the most recently inducted
> on the top most step. On the bottom most step in the language of the
> ancients is the phrase "Said the Tensor: Let Their Be Harf".
...

No other rule appears to forbid any of this, so it is true.

The name on the top step is that of the most recently inducted Elder. 
However,
the rule makes no specification as to the order in which the remaining names
are assigned to the remaining steps.  Thus nothing forbids the name "Mr.
Lunatic Fringe", which is the name of an Elder, from going on any step other
than the top and the bottom.  Therefore the possibility cannot be ruled out
from this rule that the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" appears on any riser other
than the top or bottom ones.  Since no other rule makes mention of the Town
Hall steps, there is no Rule-sanctioned mechanism for determining the
position
of the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" or any other Elder's name.

Judge's Reasoning:
  There are two possible ways to read the rule quoted.  One interpretation
is the purely literal which Attila the Pun has chosen.  However, there is
another consistant reading which if a little bit of common sense is used
can also provide a useful and consistant interpretation of the rule while
at the same time providing a logical ordering over Elder's names as applied
to steps.
  This second ordering assumes the intent for new steps to be placed at
the top of the staircase (newest inductee is always at the top) and not
to change the order of any lower steps.  With this, all future inductees
are most certainly ordered correctly.  Applying the same assumptions, it
should be obvious that the ordering intended of the steps was newest
inductee at the top, and then next newest inductee, down to the first
inductee on the step above the first step and the words on the bottomost
step.
  Since there is an intelligble ordering, albeit implicit from the wording
and intent of the rule, I judge this CFJ to be FALSE.

rufus' Appeal Reasoning:
I appeal this (well the CFJ number is wrong, but I deleted the message
with the correct number.)  My objection is that the Judge has attempted to
make the rules do somthing that they don't explicitly do.  The middle Town
Hall Steps have the names of the Elders on them, but their order is not
explicitly spelled out.  In fact, neither is their manipulation, so a
player can reorder them, as this has no effect on game state.  Further,
the Judge seems to be introducing the concept of legislative intent.  Acka
has been free of this, and the rules do what they say, even when it is
clear to all that what they say is not what they were intended to say.
(Common sense reports excluded;  but there is a check to them.)  This
leads to some silly situations; but it prevents more problems than in
causes.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:12:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Count Tabula Reports

> I am appointing The Gingham Wearer to the Office of Count Tabula.
> 
> To him will fall the duties of conducting the Elections proper, as
> well as any other Tabula-harfed business that the future may bring.
> 
> Thank you, and good night.

Thank you breadbox. I'm going to do the same as breadbox and put all the
things I've got to do in this one post.

First off is the election for Senator (seat Melvin). Nominees are:

The Gingham Wearer
IdiotBoy
JT
K 2
Koxvolio
Rex Mundi

Reply to vote.

Next off is the election for DeeJay. I haven't a clue whether this happens,
who's eligible or whatever. If you particularly want to then you may submit
thread dependent votes and submit a CFJ on the matter, but if you do then I
won't be happy. The threads are going to rejoin after the election regardless
of the results so it doesn't really matter. Anyhow, the nominees are
(possibly):

Hubert
Alfvaen

Reply to vote.

Next off, I'm pretty sure that there is meant to be a nomination for inventor
at the moment. If you are interested then reply to nominate yourself.

Finally, I believe the Presidency of Ackanomia is vacant. If you want the job
then reply to nominate yourself. I am making this nomination period last for
four days since K 2 has registered interest and may not be back in time to
nominate emself if the nomination period is only three days.

One last note, can you please make it clear exactly what you are replying to
if you reply to this. Feel free to reply to more than one bit in the same
message though.

TGW, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Action

I believe it was the winner of one of the Lord Bulwer-Lytton contests,
for the worst fictitious story beginnings (and there are some _really_
bad ones, let me tell you :))

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, April 09, 1998 7:45 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: Action
>
>
>> Klingon, heel!  Before me kneel,
>> Or you'll feel my steel through your last meal!
>
>I thought it was "Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my
>steel through your last meal".  (Attribution, anyone?)
>
>
>--
>--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
>Song In My Head--The Beatles:All You Need Is Love
>Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
>This writing is all fake, so you should go away and not read any of it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:48:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gadget Trade

I offer to trade my Plunky Monkey Wrench to Koxvolio for A$60. 

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:31:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Vacation

	I'm going away for the weekend, so I'm going on vacation for five
days, just to be safe.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:04:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> >I thought it was "Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my
> >steel through your last meal".  (Attribution, anyone?)

> I believe it was the winner of one of the Lord Bulwer-Lytton contests,
> for the worst fictitious story beginnings (and there are some _really_
> bad ones, let me tell you :))

That is correct!

I hereby create a trinket, value A$42, named "A Dark And Stormy Night",
with description as follows(the whole text of the following paragraph):

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at
occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which
swept up the streets(for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling
along the housetops and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps
that struggled against the darkness."  [Lord Bulwer-Lytton, "Paul
Clifford"]

I give A Dark And Stormy Night to Fortunato.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Hooters:Nervous Night
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:09:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Agenda Notes

There are couple of points on which a few people seem to be a bit
confused, so, to clarify:

Unless Rule 431 was changed by a recent Proposal(which it doesn't seem
to have been, now that I check the Rule pages), you can and should
vote on conditions you yourself submitted, as far as I read the Rule.
You won't get those Agenda Hats, but you may very well get the Eggplants.

Also, the bids must be between 112 and -224, _not_ 121 and -242 as a
couple of you seem to think.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Hooters:Nervous Night
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:54:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Score loss

I quote from the current point log:
   Apr 08 21:56 EDT: -1 JT: P2816 (author, yes, new player)

Hey!!!! What's this negative point stuff?  I didn't see anything
in the rules about losing points or gaining negative points!!
You're all just picking on me cause I'm new.  I bet none of YOU
lost points when *YOU* were new!! Gimmee it back :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:13:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Score loss

> Hey!!!! What's this negative point stuff?  I didn't see anything
> in the rules about losing points or gaining negative points!!
> You're all just picking on me cause I'm new.  I bet none of YOU
> lost points when *YOU* were new!! Gimmee it back :)

New players these days, don't know they've lived ; back when I was a new
player it took 12 proposals before you got one accepted (okay, maybe I just
submitted useless proposals, but still...)

TGW

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:52:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IRC

I'm bored. Anyone fancy joining me on Acka IRC for a bit. I don't know how
long I'll be hanging around but if you fancy joining me soon then come along.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:14:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rafting

As the keeper of the Great Oars of Ackanomic, I express my intent to go
water rafting.
TGW, the owner of the Raft, and rufus are invited to join the team. Any
fourth player interested, say so and we are on our merry way.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:16:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

00> As the keeper of the Great Oars of Ackanomic, I express my intent to
go
> water rafting.
> TGW, the owner of the Raft, and rufus are invited to join the team. Any
> fourth player interested, say so and we are on our merry way.
> 
I consent to this.

riufus

> CnH
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:18:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

> As the keeper of the Great Oars of Ackanomic, I express my intent to go
> water rafting.
> TGW, the owner of the Raft, and rufus are invited to join the team. Any
> fourth player interested, say so and we are on our merry way.

I verify that I do indeed wish to go rafting.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trade

I'm offering my Pyraic Frobnotzer, the blueprint of which was made by the
great Mohammed, to TGW for A$50.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:49:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trade

> I'm offering my Pyraic Frobnotzer, the blueprint of which was made by the
> great Mohammed, to TGW for A$50.

And I accept the trade.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:51:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

> > As the keeper of the Great Oars of Ackanomic, I express my intent to go
> > water rafting.
> > TGW, the owner of the Raft, and rufus are invited to join the team. Any
> > fourth player interested, say so and we are on our merry way.

> I verify that I do indeed wish to go rafting.

Well, since nobody else has volunteered...

But first, I transfer the Onyx Vase and I Finally Finished _Infinite Jest_!!!
to the Church of Azpiazu.  (Just in case...)

There.  Now I would be perfectly happy to go White Water Rafting down the
Ackanomian River.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Jackson Browne:Tender Is The Night
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:53:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church of Banna

I ask to be inducted in the wonderful church of Banna so that I might seek
the true nature of the Banna.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church of Banna

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> I ask to be inducted in the wonderful church of Banna so that I might seek
> the true nature of the Banna.

I accept Calvin N Hobbes into the Church of banna.

rufus
Founder of the Church of banna.

> 
> CnH
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:55:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

The following team will go water rafting today, at 23:00 Acka time:

TGW (raft)
rufus
Alfvaen
CnH (oars)

May the golden frog have pity on our souls.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

> > As the keeper of the Great Oars of Ackanomic, I express my intent to go
> > water rafting.
> > TGW, the owner of the Raft, and rufus are invited to join the team. Any
> > fourth player interested, say so and we are on our merry way.

And I wish to go as well.

- -- Joe Java
Hava a Harfy Day! 

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:38:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> Join the Cult of the Markovian Dream. We can rise once more.
> 
> CnH

I petition Calvin N Hobbes to join the Cult of the Markovian Dream.  I
believe I must do so on the main list, hence the redirection.

- -Hubert

What's another word for thesaurus? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:47:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

>I petition Calvin N Hobbes to join the Cult of the Markovian Dream.  I
>believe I must do so on the main list, hence the redirection.

As the most senior Priest of the cult, I welcome Hubert. One more and the
Cult will once again be a Church.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

> >I petition Calvin N Hobbes to join the Cult of the Markovian Dream.  I
> >believe I must do so on the main list, hence the redirection.
> 
> As the most senior Priest of the cult, I welcome Hubert. One more and the
> Cult will once again be a Church.
> 
> CnH

I recently have read of the plight of the once great Church that has 
fallen the classification of a cult.  If it would have me, I wish to 
also join the Cult of Markovian Dream

- -- Joe Java
Have a Harfy Day! 

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:04:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

>As the most senior Priest of the cult, I welcome *bert. One more and the
>Cult will once again be a Church.

I would like to join the cult of the markovian Dream

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

>I recently have read of the plight of the once great Church that has 
>fallen the classification of a cult.  If it would have me, I wish to 
>also join the Cult of Markovian Dream

Thank the Prophet and the Golden Frog!

As the most senior Priest of the cult, I welcome Joe Java.

As an organizational action, the Cult becomes a Church as per R1301, Section
8, part g.

As soon as a new proposal in the queue passes (_if_) then I will name all
members of the church, who have joined before that proposal is decided,
priests. Join!

You may be interested to learn that the Church of the Markovian Dream has
its own language, called Eldurian (High and Low dialects exist). It was
created by the original members and is not yet 100% complete. However, it
does have a significant amount of grammar and discussions in Low Eldurian
have taken place between snowgod and myself about two years ago. (It is not
required to use or learn it)

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wanted: Cult Members

>I would like to join the cult of the markovian Dream

As the most senior Priest of the Church, I welcome JT. From death's door,
the Church of Markovian Dream is now equal to the 3 other churches.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:20:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Klingon, heel!  Before me kneel,
> > Or you'll feel my steel through your last meal!
> 
> I thought it was "Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my
> steel through your last meal".  (Attribution, anyone?)

It was, of course.  That just didn't sound too appropriate given the then-
current situation.  It seems Fortunato beat me to the attribution, but I
confirm that it was from that series.  The very first, I believe.

My personal favorite ran something like "It was that kind of neighborhood;
the kind where if you didn't see a shadowy figure skulking in each
doorway, it meant you weren't looking hard enough, the kind where your
shoulderblades wondered _when_, not if, they would feel a knife slide
between them, ... the kind of neighborhood, he thought disgustedly to
himself, where they put Greyhound bus stations."  Although the Vile Puns
sections were rather amusing, too.  ("Dawn crept slowly over the
shimmering emerald expanse of the country club golf course, trying in vain
to remember where she had dropped her car keys.")

Curses!  Caught in plagiarism again!

- -Hubert

If God meant for us not to genetically engineer, he would have 
write-protected our DNA. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:38:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Surrender

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Thus, perforce, I Surrender, and congratulate The Gingham Wearer on a
> well-played attack on my flank while I was concentrating on getting that
> stupid Pawn to the centre.  Enjoy your Stabber's Knife!

And, thus, The Gingham Wearer is once again intimately involved in the
playing of an Esoteric Song on the ASS.  For three days, "Chess Piece
Face" by the venerable They Might Be Giants will be playing.  Look at your
noses, Ackans!  The nose of each of your main heads has been replaced by a
chess piece.  You are encouraged to describe your newly transformed nose
in excrutiating detail, but be warned that other players may mock it
mercilessly.

Mine?  Well, it is green and tastes like chicken.

Oh, and sorry, Alfvaen, for helping TGW checkmate you.  I was so intent on
the free Rook e so thoughtfully provided me that I didn't even notice I
was limiting your King's movement.

- -Hubert

What's another word for thesaurus?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:44:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Count Tabula Reports

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Next off is the election for DeeJay. I haven't a clue whether this happens,
> who's eligible or whatever. If you particularly want to then you may submit
> thread dependent votes and submit a CFJ on the matter, but if you do then I
> won't be happy. The threads are going to rejoin after the election regardless
> of the results so it doesn't really matter. Anyhow, the nominees are
> (possibly):
> 
> Hubert
> Alfvaen

As I promised to do once the Election started, I step down as DeeJay.  I
believe this makes both Alfvaen and myself legal candidates.

- -Hubert

When in Rome, do as the Visigoths do. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lo and Behold!

Greetings Little People,

By this message I return to the game of Ackanomic, if only briefly.  It
seems that in my undead state I rolled over once too often and acidentally
poked myself in the back with a treasure that I hid in the hall of elders.
The map, you see, read "the bonus vote add-on will be found when the
creator of this map says it has been". The very clunkiness of this text is
what alerted me to the teasure. You try resting eternally wth something
like that in the small of your back.

Anyway, my time here is limited. It don't really need a bonus vote add-on.
I don't even really need a bonus vote.  I hereby transfer this item to the
possesion of K2, who must have done something right. Then I roll over and
die, but not before wishing my old Ackanomic Friends a happy festivus.

By this message I deregister from the game of Ackanomic.

Mr Lunatic Fringe
Phil Ackley, for the reigstar.
[email-masked] (that's me)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:27:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Surrender

> Oh, and sorry, Alfvaen, for helping TGW checkmate you.  I was so intent on
> the free Rook e so thoughtfully provided me that I didn't even notice I
> was limiting your King's movement.

Oh, it's alright.  /dev/joe contributed more strongly to the blockage.
And I can face the fact that I'm not the best Party Chess player around.
:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Holly Cole Trio:Don't Smoke In Bed
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Sympathizing would fix Quaker objectives.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:34:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Lo and Behold!

> By this message I return to the game of Ackanomic, if only briefly.  It
> seems that in my undead state I rolled over once too often and acidentally
> poked myself in the back with a treasure that I hid in the hall of elders.
> The map, you see, read "the bonus vote add-on will be found when the
> creator of this map says it has been". The very clunkiness of this text is
> what alerted me to the teasure. You try resting eternally wth something
> like that in the small of your back.

> Anyway, my time here is limited. It don't really need a bonus vote add-on.
> I don't even really need a bonus vote.  I hereby transfer this item to the
> possesion of K2, who must have done something right. Then I roll over and
> die, but not before wishing my old Ackanomic Friends a happy festivus.

> By this message I deregister from the game of Ackanomic.

> Mr Lunatic Fringe
> Phil Ackley, for the reigstar.
> [email-masked] (that's me)

Well.  I guess we were briefly visited by the former Zombie, Elder, and
now once again Undead Mr. Lunatic Fringe.  And I guess that means K 2 has
found that Treasure.  One less Artefact for next cycle's Archaeologist
to try to recover.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Holly Cole Trio:Don't Smoke In Bed
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
We have just quoted on nine dozen boxes of gray lamp wicks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rafting

> The following team will go water rafting today, at 23:00 Acka time:

> TGW (raft)
> rufus
> Alfvaen
> CnH (oars)

> May the golden frog have pity on our souls.

This probably didn't work because of the prospective action thing, I now
state that the above team wishes to go white water rafting.  Ooh, what an
apposite random tagline, too!  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Holly Cole Trio:Don't Smoke In Bed
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
With too many rowers the ship will crash into a mountain.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:43:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Proselytizing

Well, I might as well extol the virtues of the Church of Azpiazu...  What
other Church features a deity with a Basque name, that was, briefly, a
Frankenstein Monster that allowed Malenkai to win a Cycle?  Not to mention
holding the Cheez-Whiz holy.  And with some new blood we might actually do
something sometime.  (I should gather up our Church Policy or something...
or just start it from scratch.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Holly Cole Trio:Don't Smoke In Bed
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Miscellaneous is always the largest category. --Slovotsky

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:45:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Rafting Results

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Players: Calvin N Hobbes, rufus, The Gingham Wearer, Alfvaen
# 1) Water Pollution
# 2) Lost In The Wilds
# 3) Capsized (Gadget Loss)
# 4) Capsized (Concussion)
# 5) Success!
# Alfvaen

No. of sides on every die:      5
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      2

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Fri Apr 10 20:45:33 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id UAA14382 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:45:33 -0700
> Received: from edtntnt2-port-114.agt.net(209.115.133.114) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma014380; Fri Apr 10 20:45:24 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id VAA15536 for [email-masked]; Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:44:26 -0600
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Raft
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:44:26 -0600 (MDT)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 5
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Rafting Results
> 
> #C Players: Calvin N Hobbes, rufus, The Gingham Wearer, Alfvaen
> #C 1) Water Pollution
> #C 2) Lost In The Wilds
> #C 3) Capsized (Gadget Loss)
> #C 4) Capsized (Concussion)
> #C 5) Success!
> #C
> #C Alfvaen
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNS7nYD8NitsTFjcVAQG8hwQArKhTipzgGM2uXdBeqqLOUWwuxMYtjVdk
Uv2b9RGFDZKl2vur8+iv2L1CFuLf+tq6foY4IkjQZ/wNw3SxT+mk6KMTYWMt+5zL
7FBRWo1BklgyXMpQuusxA+20knwgrI2F5/+fnBP6MX298dnuRH0K+tRN+o4Y/HJi
2sBeDNXKFLA=
=PExW
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #97
******************************