Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #96
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Thursday, April 9 1998        Volume 03 : Number 096

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I support closing the Razor Boomerang's admittance policy.
> 
> --JT

I support the Razor Boomerang's admittance policy also.

- -- Joe Java 

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:04:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Action

I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The Sword of Kahless" with 
a description as follows:

"The first Bat'leth, created by Kahless to defeat Molor the tyrant in 
battle.  It is about a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double 
headed scimitar. It should be considered as an extension to the arms 
rather than a weapon if it is to be used successfully.  It is 
prophesied that he who holds The Sword of Kahless will unite the 
feuding families of the Klingon Homeworld and reign supreme."

Ok a little plagiarism in the text but there it is...  this should 
make any resulting war interesting.

- -- Joe Java

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:11:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The Sword of Kahless" with 
> a description as follows:
> 
> "The first Bat'leth, created by Kahless to defeat Molor the tyrant in 
> battle.  It is about a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double 
> headed scimitar. It should be considered as an extension to the arms 
> rather than a weapon if it is to be used successfully.  It is 
> prophesied that he who holds The Sword of Kahless will unite the 
> feuding families of the Klingon Homeworld and reign supreme."

Bah! That's not the sword of Kahless, that's a forgery! (Except in the view
of the rules where it isn't a forgery, and is the Sword of Kahless).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:16:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Shell#10

I approve of K2 joining Shell#10

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Shell#10

> I approve of K2 joining Shell#10

As do I.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:33:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

* Joe Java said: *
> > I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The Sword of Kahless" with 
> > a description as follows:

[* Description snipped *]
 
* TGW replied: *
> Bah! That's not the sword of Kahless, that's a forgery! (Except in the view
> of the rules where it isn't a forgery, and is the Sword of Kahless).

Hehe.. we shall see.

- -- Joe Java 

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:57:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ archive

The CFJ archives should now be up at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/8814/CFJindex.htm>. I think
they're pretty much up to date, although breadbox tells me that there were a
few of the older ones that e hadn't updated 'till recently (i.e. today) so
they won't be up there. If you have any problems then let me know.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 19:33:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 562

>>Call For Judgement 561 - April 9, 1998
>>Subject: Step to it
>>Initiator: Attila the Pun (sent April 8, 1998, 22:57)
>>Judge: JT (selected April 9, 1998, 06:54)
>>Judgement:
>>
>>Statement:
>>It is impossible to determine whether or not the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe"
>>is inscribed on any given one of the risers of the steps leading up to the
>>Town Hall without going outside the Rules.
>>
>>Initiator's Reasoning:
>>Rule 2819, which governs the Town Hall, states the following:
>>
>>...
>>> At any moment in time there is exactly one more
>>> step than there are players enshrined in the hall of Elders (material and
>>> labour required for construction is generously provided by the Ackanomic
>>> Construction Guild Inc.). Engraved on the riser of each step in gold
>>> lettering is the name of an Elder, starting with the most recently inducted
>>> on the top most step. On the bottom most step in the language of the
>>> ancients is the phrase "Said the Tensor: Let Their Be Harf".
>>...
>>
>>No other rule appears to forbid any of this, so it is true.
>>
>>The name on the top step is that of the most recently inducted Elder.
>>However,
>>the rule makes no specification as to the order in which the remaining names
>>are assigned to the remaining steps.  Thus nothing forbids the name "Mr.
>>Lunatic Fringe", which is the name of an Elder, from going on any step other
>>than the top and the bottom.  Therefore the possibility cannot be ruled out
>>from this rule that the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" appears on any riser other
>>than the top or bottom ones.  Since no other rule makes mention of the Town
>>Hall steps, there is no Rule-sanctioned mechanism for determining the
>>position
>>of the name "Mr. Lunatic Fringe" or any other Elder's name.
>
>Two comments:
>
>1) I don't know whether it was AtP's intent, but this does not appear to be
>   a paradox win CFJ.

It was never intended to be.

>2) It is not unmistakably spelled out in the rules how to determine which
>   step has MLF's name on it, but it is nonetheless quite possible that it
>   may be determined by CFJ.  That would render it possible to determine.

It is difficult for me at least to see on what basis this would be decided.
Do judges of CFJs have the power to render arbitrary judgements in areas
where the rules are silent?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:44:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Hidden Agendas

(A couple of days late, but comparatively good.  And I have been busy the
past two evenings, too.)

Eight players submitted Agenda Conditions.  I'm beginning to wonder how
much longer this Cycle is going to last, but I will list them hereunder.
You will have seven days to bid on them, and the allowable bids are
from -224 to +112.  The higher your bid, the easier you think the condition
is(since that's the number of points you have to get in addition to
satisfying the condition).  However, the lowest bidder gets the Nemesis
Eggplant, so don't bid low on easy ones just to bring the required score
down.  All clear?

I have decided not to exercise my right to replace any of the submitted
Agenda Conditions with Silly ones, because I know there's some divided
opinions on the matter(who was it who said that it was a poor Agenda
Condition that could be satisfied under the current ruleset?).  And none
of them seem to be particularly unharfy, though I could be wrong about
that.  Maybe from this time I will be able to judge better for next time.

Anyway, the conditions:

/dev/joe:

1. The wearer of hat has submitted and had accepted a proposal whose
body contains nothing but literature (as defined by the rules) published
before January 1, 1998, and citations of that literature.

2. The wearer of this hat has performed a single action which constitutes
three or more different named Crimes defined in the rules, other than
Zuriti'ili, but which is not impossible (i.e., the triply-criminal act
still occurs).

3. The wearer of this hat has buried three treasures containing at least
A$50 each worth of A$ and/or trinkets, and each of these treasures has
a map which does not depend on the treasure hunter being the first to do
something, and all three treasures have been found.

The Gingham Wearer:

4. The difference in scores between the owner of this hat and the owner of
this egg-plant is prime and the names of the owners of both this eggplant and
this hat have their names in the main body of the rules (i.e. not just in the
authorship credit).

5. The owner of this eggplant has the Chartreuse goose and the owner of this
hat owns a building occupying at least two kaas of land and all agenda hats
owned by the owner of this hat have been visible for at least two weeks.

6. The owner of this eggplant and the owner of this hat have exactly the same
score, the owner of this hat has not retracted anything in the last week and
the chartreuse goose is somewhere else.

Hubert:

7. The Speaker has, at any time, committed Zuriti'ili.

8. Five new players have joined Ackanomic in one calendar week while this
hat was being worn and was visible, all of these players are now active
and voting, and the Ackanomic name of at least one of these players
contains the three-word Silly phrase quoted in the first sentence of Rule
207.1.

9. The owner of this hat has posted to a public forum a message
containing at least one grammatically correct English sentence which
contains the same English word (which must appear in the Rules) five or
more times consecutively, and each word has an unambiguous semantic
meaning within the sentence.

else...if:

10. The owner of this hat is not a member of any organization.

11. The owner of this hat has no cheeses.

12. Barring a change to the rules, there are no circumstances under
which the owner of this hat could sumbit a proposal.

Attila the Pun:

13. The owner of this hat has posted at least three sonnets to a public forum
in the last month.

14. The number of A$ owned plus the total value of all trinkets owned by the
owner of this hat is less than the corresponding sum performed for any
other player.

15. The owner of this hat has a name which consists solely of the letters "q",
"j", "x", and "z".

Slakko:

16. This hat has been traded to the Mad Hatters at some point by the
current owner of this hat.

17. The owner of this hat owns four Cheeses.

18. The owner of this eggplant has a score exactly double that of the owner
of this Hat.

K 2:

19. It is publicly knowable that the associated conditions of five
different agenda hats, not including this one, have become true and
remained that way, having previously been false, while the owner of this
hat has been wearing this hat.

20. The owner of this hat has given three hats to the illuminatus, at
least one of which has a condition which is publicly known to be true
and continued to be true after the illuminatus received it.

[Note: K 2 still possesses the following hat, being worn:

Mutton Chops hat:

"The owner of this hat has taken possession of the Little Lamb, while owning
this hat."

Its Weight is 115 and its condition is true.

I believe Malenkai's Corpse possesses the Eggplant for this hat.]

Vynd:

21.  The owner of this hat has achieved the conditions of three other
agenda hats that are in his possession.

22.  The wearer of this hat has owned it for less than a week.

23.  The owner of this hat has won at least three Duels since this hat has
come into his possession.  At least one of these Duels must have been
against the owner of the eggplant corresponding to this hat.  At least one
of the Duels must have been called against the owner of this hat, rather
than by him.

Each the above players may send me your bids.  (The default bid is the
maximum, 112 in this case.)  If I remember to change the headers after I
type this, this will be sent to acka-priv so replies will go to me.  And
try to make your bids reasonably unambiguous.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Beatles:Love You To
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
The one bright star lit feebly this wick.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> Klingon, heel!  Before me kneel,
> Or you'll feel my steel through your last meal!

I thought it was "Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my
steel through your last meal".  (Attribution, anyone?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Beatles:All You Need Is Love
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
This writing is all fake, so you should go away and not read any of it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:45:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Wizard

> I thought I had done this some time ago, but in case I haven't:

> If I currently own the office of Wizard, I give it to /dev/joe.

As far as I can tell you did this back on February 7th, and the PE
page, at least, reflects that...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Beatles:Magical Mystery Tour
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:45:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: re acka swing points

> I am creating a random treasure , hmm..
> when a player by the name of"Koxvolio" 
> becomes "harf's" swinger (if such an unusual event could ever happen) 'e
> will be transfered "karma's" swing points upon acking this transaction.

I don't think this is a valid treasure, but I'll consider it to be a valid
offer so it happens anyway...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Beatles:Magical Mystery Tour
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Things are gradually falling into place on top of me.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:45:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> > Do the Razor Boomerangs have an open admissions policy?

> > (We really need to start putting information like this on the web
> > pages or something. I'm constantly forgetting who's proxied their
> > approval and whatnot. Or is it already up there and I just don't
> > realize it?)

> The list of organisations, available from the "Players" section of the Web
> Pages (which includes Scores, Registrar Stuff, and Organisations) lists
> which Parties and Organisations have open membership policies, and also
> which members, if any, have proxied their approval.  

Yes, I thought that such material should be available too, especially when
trying to figure out who had proxied their approval and who hadn't, so I
started putting in on the Org pages when I was Web-Harfer...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Beatles:Magical Mystery Tour
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers.  -- Tom Lehrer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Old and Foolish Now

> Several points richer and A$180 poorer, I would like to publicly announce
> the following:

Well, actually, A$192.  A$27 for the Tammany bribe, and A$165 for the
other bribes.  Tammany and the Razor Boomerangs Party aren't players,
and you get your own money back.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Tina Turner:Back Where You Started
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Let us settle our indifferences.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Prop RFC

> Amend section C of rule 1213 "Grab-a-Donkey" to read in full (***
> delimited):
> ***
> C. If exactly one player ("A") chose to Grab another player's donkey
> ("B"), and if B did not Cover their donkey,

>   1. ) and if B is currently in possession of the little lamb and has
>      not possessed it previously during the current game of GAD then, A
>      will become confused and grab the lamb by mistake. The Little Lamb
>      is then transferred to player B.
>   2. ) Otherwise, A successfully grabs one of B's donkeys and eir herd
>      is increased by one at the end of the round. During the    noise
>      and confusion of the grab (if B had two or more Donkey's) one of
>      B's donkeys will become terrified and flee into the Wilds of
>      Ackanomic. B's herd is reduced by two at the end of the round.

My biggest problem is that "eir" in "eir herd is increased" is ambiguous.
Is it A's or B's?  But I like reducing the herd by two, which won't make
it as much of a problem.  I also agree that getting rid of the Little
Lamb(from GAD, at least)would probably be a good idea.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Tina Turner:Back Where You Started
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Bowling with a brick.  It's a bad idea.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:32:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Stripe

As Speaker and thus ProConsul of Ackanomic, I am awarding to Slakko that
prize for which e has so long laboured, the Gold Stripe.  Upon eir
recession from the Presidency, e received a Blue Cross Bonus, instantly
raising eir Blue Cross Rank by ten points.  (I should note that eir
BCR is 69 right now, so another accepted Proposal would have done it
regardless...)

Three Silver Stripes are taken by the Gnomes of Frobozz to be recycled,
and Slakko will probably get one of those back pretty soon.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Nylons:Happy Together
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Life is like a game of Tetris--you never know what you're gonna get.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:51:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wizard

> > I thought I had done this some time ago, but in case I haven't:
> 
> > If I currently own the office of Wizard, I give it to /dev/joe.
> 
> As far as I can tell you did this back on February 7th, and the PE
> page, at least, reflects that...

I looked at the list of office-holders and ThinMan was still listed as
having it.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #96
******************************