Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #93
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Wednesday, April 8 1998       Volume 03 : Number 093

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:16:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Reading the manual

It was with some trepidation, and a great deal of excitement as I looked
upon the ancient Manual for the long lost Curious Clock of Uesticlox.
Thought to be buried ages ago and lost forever, it was only by amazing
luck that I happened upon this ancient tome, won at an auction of all
things.  Now, with it having been finally delivered, I set about deciphering
what little I could of the curious text within.   Most of the pages were
gibberish, or else they had been ruined by time and whatever fearsome wind
had put the pages into such disarray.  After much painstaking effort, I was
finally able to decipher the words on the cover of the book.   Slowly, I
read them aloud in an awed whisper, "...At the tone the time will be..."

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: joining the THL.

I join the Treasure Hunting League.
Since the admissions policy is open, I am now a member.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Good Ballot Stuffer

> The Good Ballot Stuffer I was building is now completed, and now I get to
> auction _that_.  I'll set the starting bid at A$10.

I suppose I may as well make the first bid: A$10.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> > The Ackan Reserve Financial Report
>                     ^^^^^^^^^
> > Published by the board of the Ackan Reserve
> > Coming daily since 1998
> > 
> > 	else...if
> 
> The harf is back, and I want a winter cap!

The harf is back, here is your cap!

To scorekeeper:

Apr 08 02:43 EDT: +91 Guy Fawkes: got a winter cap cause the Harf was
back.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 02:50:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re Proposal 2848

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, JT Traub wrote:

> >>> Unfortunately, Rule 313 states that Bribes can only cause the
> >>> transfer of tradeable entities from the author of the proposal to
> >>> players who voted YES on the proposal.  The above bribe is invalid.
> >
> >Thanks for catching that nuance, Alfvaen - it went completely past me.
> >
> >> Drat Alfvaen is correct.  I also note that rule 313 has a wonderful
> >> loophole if I wanted to be a Crazy French-Scotsman.  However, I'm not
> >> quite that silly, so will propose a change to close that hole shortly
> >> (like as soon as I can pull up the rule text to make the change cleanly)
> >> 
> >> In the meantime, I retract proposal 2848.
> >
> >You need not, and in fact cannot, retract Proposal 2848, as it was
> >automatically removed from voting consideration the moment it was
> >distributed.
> 
> Hrm, in that case, I just lost 15 points.

No, you didn't.  Voting results were never published, and you only lose
points when the voting results are actually published.  So you will never
lose 15 points for this and your crazy French-Scotsman antics are
completely pointless.
- -- 
Duncan C. "now go away before I taunt you a second time" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 03:17:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> The harf is back, here is your cap!

Correction: Indeed the harf is back, here is your cap!

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: swing points

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Michael James wrote:

> I am creating a random treasure , hmm..
> when a player by the name of"Koxvolio" 
> becomes "harf's" swinger (if such an unusual event could ever happen) 'e
> will be transfered "karma's" swing points upon acking this transaction.
> 
> - karma (this ia a public message)
> 
Ack? Umm... Help! What does e mean?

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 05:01:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: swing points

> I am creating a random treasure , hmm..
> when a player by the name of"Koxvolio" 
> becomes "harf's" swinger (if such an unusual event could ever happen) 'e
> will be transfered "karma's" swing points upon acking this transaction.

Ah. I acknowledge (should have seen that..) this generous gift from the
Great and Good Karma. Thank you, sirrah.

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 05:21:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: T200: Second Prize

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, K2 wrote:

> Hubert           (Hu)(Go)(Ho)   3
> Alfvaen          (V)(Hu)        2

Alfvaen and I _both_ caused me to be disqualified?

And, if voting results posted by the Tabulator didn't count, then I would
say TGW caused breadbox's demise, as eirs was the first Proposal to
include *that* word and force bbx to print it as the Promoter.

- -Hubert

Dinner Special -- Turkey $2.35; Chicken or Beef $2.25; Children $2.00. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 05:21:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Doing my part for the treasure starved.

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> I'd just like to say, "Hubert"

Huh?  What?

- -Hubert

For Sale: French Rifles: Never fired, only dropped once. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 07:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Notes on the Appeal on CFJ 553 - Bronze Torch

As a Bronze Torch holder I would like to add the following commentary on
the matter of CFJ 553. 
The question was what actually happened to the Entities which it is
illegalfor Parties to own currently.
It is my opinion that the verdict on CFJ 553 claims that the status of the
entities changed from a legal to an illegal state, something which goes
completly against the rules as I understand them.
First I'd liek to refer the Court to P104, specifically to the following
paragraphs:
"f a proposal is accepted, one of two things happen. If the proposal
consisted of a list of one-time effects, such as
changes to the rules, then those effects shall be applied, one at a time,
in the order in which they appear in the proposal.
(Ambiguous, retroactive, and/or meaningless effects are ignored.) 

Otherwise, the proposal itself changes from a proposal to a rule. [It is
assigned a title and number as described in Rules
301 and 303.] 
"

It is true, we all know these paragraphs, we all know what happans when
proposals take effect. However, it is my opinion that in order to
understand the true effect of the proposal, it is imperative that we
explore the most basic fabric of the rule changing process.

When the results on P2789 were anounce the proposal took effect, that is
all the rules changes and various state changes. All of those state
changes happened not by rule 1003, or by rule 1009 they happened by R104.
Thus the change that took place in the status of entities that it is
illegal for Parties to own, was affected by an action expicitly mandated
by the rules, and rules that have higher precedence than any of the entity
rules. 
The judge and the initiator of CFJ553 claim that the Game State, which
wholly depends on the rules, and without them would have no substance
(perhaps a platonic existence, but one which we would have either a very
hard time or boring time interacting with), is stronger than the rules
which regulate the Game State. Specifically the rule which changed the
status of gadgets owned by Parties. CFJ 553 claims that the status change
that happened was from a legal to an illegal status ( and IMO impossible)
status. I claim that the entities can no longer be owned 
1. An ammendment to the rules has caused the alegged status to be
   impossible
2. An action whose legality is explicitly allowed by the rules, that is
changing the rules, was the action that caused this change of state.
3. The 500's can neither block this change by precedence, nor do they
forbid it, since the the change in state - owned to unowned, was
explicitly mandated by the rules.

Furthermore I would like to point out to the Court a well established and
well documentd Game Custom of following the least paradoxical
interpretation - It is my opinion that both the rules and Game Custom, but
above all the rules, have a greater resistance to a change from a legal to
illegal state, than to a rule mandated change from one legal state to
another legal state, a change which is not only mandated but in fact
required by the act of the proposal taking effect.

Niccolo Flychuck
Bronze Troch Holder

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 07:34:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: what's in a name? Re: Acka: Proposal 2811

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> Out of interest, how would you define your name? This whole area certainly is
> a lot morecomplex than it first appeared.
> 
> TGW.

I think I would define my name as a label. However, since this not a
unique label, it is obviously not sufficient to create the concept of me
in someone else's mind. As for the way it's written on paper, I think of
it as any other word I se written. We often refer to the written and
spoken representation of words, and names, as interchangeable. There are
many instances in which they are, however, each form alone is merely an
imperfect representation of the word, or in the case of a name, the label.

The written form is imperfect becasue it is only understandble to a person
who happend to be able to read that script. The spoken form is also
imperfect, because of other media limitations. I think in acka, despite
all the rules concerning the naming of names, we have always acepted the
informal definition of what a real name is. Legal Ackanomic names are
defined in the rules. Should I wish to write my Ackanomic name somwhere,
it would be my ackanomic name if written the same way it is written in
Ackanomic. Is Ackanomic  a name like any other name in Ackanomic? Is it
required to be a string of Latic characters etc.?

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 08:45:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

For anyone who needs to know and doesn't already, Joe Java has changed
his official email address from <[email-masked]> to
<[email-masked]>. We wish him much success at his new location.

breadbox
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 08:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Action

I, Joe Java, do hereby join the Razor Boomerangs.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I, Joe Java, do hereby join the Razor Boomerangs.

Do the Razor Boomerangs have an open admissions policy?

(We really need to start putting information like this on the web
pages or something. I'm constantly forgetting who's proxied their
approval and whatnot. Or is it already up there and I just don't
realize it?)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > I, Joe Java, do hereby join the Razor Boomerangs.
> 
> Do the Razor Boomerangs have an open admissions policy?
> 
> (We really need to start putting information like this on the web
> pages or something. I'm constantly forgetting who's proxied their
> approval and whatnot. Or is it already up there and I just don't
> realize it?)

The list of organisations, available from the "Players" section of the Web
Pages (which includes Scores, Registrar Stuff, and Organisations) lists
which Parties and Organisations have open membership policies, and also
which members, if any, have proxied their approval.  

Yours,
Slakko
Web-Harfer
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:40:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> > I, Joe Java, do hereby join the Razor Boomerangs.
> 
> Do the Razor Boomerangs have an open admissions policy?
> 
> (We really need to start putting information like this on the web
> pages or something. I'm constantly forgetting who's proxied their
> approval and whatnot. Or is it already up there and I just don't
> realize it?)
> 
> breadbox

I would hope so considering I've been approached *twice* by members 
about joining.

- -- Joe Java

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 10:51:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SHEEP

I am giving A$200 to The Society for the Huranguing of Emancipated
Enfranchised Players (SHEEP).

With the approval of the other members of SHEEP, I'd like to take the
following Organizational Actions (such as may be regulated):

SHEEP establishes the "Cotton Scholarship Fund," which shall consist of
the A$ which are owned by SHEEP.

SHEEP will automatically pay A$1 to each player who legally votes "BAA!"
on any proposal, as long there are A$ in the "Cotton Scholarship Fund."

SHEEP is establishing an open admissions policy.

IB
bast, er.. SHEPherd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:24:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 134

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> I am hereby distributing the following as CSR 134. It will be accepted
> in three days if there are less than two public objections.
> 
>   Renumber Rule 2802 ("The Color Black") to 1307.1.
> 
>   {{[Sigh. Proposal 2802 attempted to create a Rule 1340; however,
>   Rule 1340 already exists, thanks to my CSR 133, which I submitted
>   hours after distributing Proposal 2802. Don't I feel stupid now?
>   Boy, I hope this doesn't leave a black mark on my record....]}}
> 
> breadbox

I create a Trinket, titled "A Single Black Mark", valued at A$1, with the
description "It is black.  Some heretics would have you believe this means
it has no colour, but those people are witches and should be burned."

I give A Single Black Mark to breadbox.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Stefanski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfy Proposals

	I declare proposals 2846 and 2853 as harfy.

 *---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
   Andrew Stefanski                                            Motorola LMPS 
              UNRECOVERABLE USER ERROR - Terminating Current User

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:25:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SHEEP

> I am giving A$200 to The Society for the Huranguing of Emancipated
> Enfranchised Players (SHEEP).
> 
> With the approval of the other members of SHEEP, I'd like to take the
> following Organizational Actions (such as may be regulated):
> 
> SHEEP establishes the "Cotton Scholarship Fund," which shall consist of
> the A$ which are owned by SHEEP.
> 
> SHEEP will automatically pay A$1 to each player who legally votes "BAA!"
> on any proposal, as long there are A$ in the "Cotton Scholarship Fund."

I very much doubt that these are allowed by the rules (curse them!) but if
they is then I approve both the actions.

> SHEEP is establishing an open admissions policy.

This on the other hand, I'm pretty sure we can do and I approve this too
since we have enough members for it not to be a problem.

Baa!
TGW, SHEEP.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:42:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2840

There is a specific clause in the Party HAll rule that concerns a Party
Swinger whose Party has disbanded. This clause states that the Swinger is
a On a Limb for a week during which time e can purchase the Office as a
Capital Swinger's office and keep the same position, pieces and score.
If they don't do it within a week, only then the Office is destroyed. 

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, JT Traub wrote:

> Niccolo wrote:
> >I can't for this at its present form. Swingers are handled seperately, and
> >better, IMO, by the Party Hall Rule.
> 
> I'm afraid I don't see the conflict between this and the party hall rule..
> Granted the line about swingers no longer being swingers for the party is
> redundant (forcing the members of the party to no longer be members would
> cause them to be removed as swingers as per the party hall rule, and so
> the text ends up having no effect other than to remind people of this effect)
> 
> - --JT
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:44:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: SHEEP

IdiotBoy wrote:

>I am giving A$200 to The Society for the Huranguing of Emancipated
>Enfranchised Players (SHEEP).
>
>With the approval of the other members of SHEEP, I'd like to take the
>following Organizational Actions (such as may be regulated):
>
>SHEEP establishes the "Cotton Scholarship Fund," which shall consist of
>the A$ which are owned by SHEEP.
>
>SHEEP will automatically pay A$1 to each player who legally votes "BAA!"
>on any proposal, as long there are A$ in the "Cotton Scholarship Fund."

The above is unregulated, and organizational approval means nothing to it.
Nevertheless, what the heck?  I approve.

>SHEEP is establishing an open admissions policy.

Yeah, sure, okay.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Shell#10

A society is also able to transorm.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > 	Much as I hate it, the new org rules seem to force me to open the
> > membershup of Shell#10.  TGW is invited, since he did help fund the lab.
> > We need a third person, so I'm taking applications.
> 
> What's the point?  At best, you'll be a Society thatcan send its money to
> the Treasury, and still can't transfer(or own)Gadgets.
> 
> 
> - --
> - --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Tears For Fears:Elemental
> Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
> Just work for improved basic techniques to maximize your typing skill.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:46:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Wizard

I thought I had done this some time ago, but in case I haven't:

If I currently own the office of Wizard, I give it to /dev/joe.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:50:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: SHEEP

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> 
> IdiotBoy wrote:
> 
> >SHEEP will automatically pay A$1 to each player who legally votes "BAA!"
> >on any proposal, as long there are A$ in the "Cotton Scholarship Fund."
> 
> The above is unregulated, and organizational approval means nothing to it.
> Nevertheless, what the heck?  I approve.
> 

I figured as much.. but I was hoping I could get someone else to be
responsible for taking the money out of our stuff, instead of having to
send "SHEEP give A$1 to x" everytime x votes BAA!

Thanks for the support!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:50:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Woolly New Organization. 

I would like to join the Society for the Huranguing of Emancipated
Enfranchised Players too.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the creation of a brand new Organization!
> 
> We are a Society.
> We are known as The Society for the Huranguing of Emancipated Enfranchised
> Players.
> We are IdiotBoy, ThinMan, and The Gingham Wearer.
> We are but eightscore young blondes and brunettes, all between sixteen and
> nineteen-and-a-half... no wait.. sorry.
> 
> IB
> Baa, Baa, Lack of Color Sheep.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:57:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The SHEEP says.

Ummm, it has been pointed out to me privately that maybe an Open
Admissions Policy is a Bad Idea.

So, with the consent of the (suddenly) 3 other memebers, SHEEP will close
its doors to new members.

IB
vacillator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The SHEEP says.

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> Ummm, it has been pointed out to me privately that maybe an Open
> Admissions Policy is a Bad Idea.
> 
> So, with the consent of the (suddenly) 3 other memebers, SHEEP will close
> its doors to new members.

Before anyone else supports this, I sneak through the barn door.

I join the Organization currently referred to as SHEEP (as an acronym of
sorts).

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:09:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The SHEEP says.

> Ummm, it has been pointed out to me privately that maybe an Open
> Admissions Policy is a Bad Idea.
> 
> So, with the consent of the (suddenly) 3 other memebers, SHEEP will close
> its doors to new members.

What the heck, I support this too.

Baa!
TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:19:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harfy Proposals

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Andrew Stefanski wrote:

> 
> 	I declare proposals 2846 and 2853 as harfy.

Ummm, IIRC 2846 was declared invalid and removed from voting
consideration.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:21:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: The SHEEP says.

>Ummm, it has been pointed out to me privately that maybe an Open
>Admissions Policy is a Bad Idea.
>
>So, with the consent of the (suddenly) 3 other memebers, SHEEP will close
>its doors to new members.

I approve.  I imagine, however, that SHEEP will still be happy to consider
other applications for membership.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:24:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2840

>There is a specific clause in the Party HAll rule that concerns a Party
>Swinger whose Party has disbanded. This clause states that the Swinger is
>a On a Limb for a week during which time e can purchase the Office as a
>Capital Swinger's office and keep the same position, pieces and score.
>If they don't do it within a week, only then the Office is destroyed. 

Thank you for pointing that out Niccolo, I'll fix and retract and resubmit
and whatnot shortly (basically, I'll just remove the line about Swingers
being removed which should fix the problem you mentioned)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:28:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2840

> Thank you for pointing that out Niccolo, I'll fix and retract and resubmit
> and whatnot shortly (basically, I'll just remove the line about Swingers
> being removed which should fix the problem you mentioned)

Personally, I'd rather see all the bits about players no longer being members
and what have you removed. I can see that bit causing more problems than it
solves.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:30:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: retraction

I retract proposal 2840.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:39:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2840

>> Thank you for pointing that out Niccolo, I'll fix and retract and resubmit
>> and whatnot shortly (basically, I'll just remove the line about Swingers
>> being removed which should fix the problem you mentioned)
>
>Personally, I'd rather see all the bits about players no longer being members
>and what have you removed. I can see that bit causing more problems than it
>solves.

I think it kinda needs to be there, otherwise you could end up with a player
being a member of a non-existant org (see the current troubles about
ownership of entities and such).  In my resubmission, I left that in.  Feel
free to vote against it if you strongly disagree :)

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:25:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 160 (TRUE)

Illusion has judged this TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Criminal Judgment 160 (April 05)
Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer  (sent April 05, 1998, 16:47)
Judge: Illusion (selected April 05, 1998, 17:50)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
Guy Fawkes committed the crime of Zuriti'ili on April 05, 1998 AD.

Initiator's reasoning:
I believe that by posting the bellow quoted message titled "Acka: Actions"
Guy Fawkes committed Zuriti'ili.

"I am performing the following actions:

I am retracting my IP against Alfvaen.

I am filing an IP against Alfvaen, with intent to remove him from the
Office of Praetor.

I am buying 90 stocks.

GF"

Let us look at the guidelines 1 by 1.

At least once in the history of Ackanomic, a player has committed Zuriti'ili.

Is true. I did not that long ago.

Zuriti'ili may be related to one or more entities that can be owned. 

*May* be. Doesn't have to be.

Any action involving a prime number of named ownable entities is not
Zuriti'ili. 

This doesn't. Impeachment papers and messages to mailing lists are not
ownable.

Zuriti'ili is never committed simultaneously with another Crime. 

No other crime is being committed.

The number of times Zuriti'ili has been committed, at any given point in
time, is a prime number. 

See CFCJ 155 for why this doesn't matter.

The Ackaphysicist has committed, or will commit, this crime at least once. 

Is irrelevant. This being judged TRUE would have no effect on this guideline.

No one who is not a member of an organization can commit Zuriti'ili. 

Guy is a member of the Church of Righteous loophold surfers or whatever they
are called.

Zuriti'ili may only be committed by the speaker if he publicly announces the
number of times Zuriti'ili has been committed in the past and the date and
time. 

Guy is not the Speaker.

It is possible for an act of Zuriti'ili to involve anti-voting in a certain
pattern, but that pattern is unknown. 

Is possible. Doesn't have to. Again see CFCJ 155.

Most instances on Zuriti'ili go undetected.

Doesn't matter and is irrelevant to the case in hand.

So GF *could* have committed Zuriti'ili, but did e? Of course e did.
Exploiting the rules in a manner verging on being annoying in an attempt to
deny our most righteous Praetor eir true privileges. It must be Zuriti'ili.

Suggested Penalty:
4 days in gaol to stop em trying to impeach Alfvaen again.

Judge's Comments:

The Gingham Wearer seems to have covered all of the guidelines for Zuriti'ili
pretty clearly.  All of the guidelines apply to this situation.  This means
that Zuriti'ili could have been committed.

This doesn't mean that Zuriti'ili HAS been committed.  So I must rely on
other
means to determine if it has.  And fter much deliberation, it is my decision
that Zuriti'ili has most definately been commited.

Guideline:

When someone is found guilty of Zuriti'ili, they can not commit it again
until
someone else has been found guilty of Zuriti'ili.

Actual Penalty:

2 days in gaol, and a fine of A$50.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:37:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SHEEP

I support SHEEP's abolition of its open membership policy.

Yours,
Slakko
president for only a few more hours
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> The list of organisations, available from the "Players" section of the Web
> Pages (which includes Scores, Registrar Stuff, and Organisations) lists
> which Parties and Organisations have open membership policies, and also
> which members, if any, have proxied their approval.  

Hmmm... the 'Rangs very definitely have an open membership policy, and
Goldenmean has proxied eir approval, neither of which I see listed on that
page.  I can produce the relevant messages if you so desire.

In any case, now that Joe Java has joined, I suggest that the Razor
Boomerangs revoke their open membership policy because, for the first time
in several months, we have THREE VOTING MEMBERS.  That is, as soon as Joe
Java un-Pends emself. :-)

I also suggest that Joe Java build emself a Boomerang before JT and I have
to thwap em with ours.

- -Hubert

Incoming fire has the right-of-way.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:45:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SHEEP

> I support SHEEP's abolition of its open membership policy.
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> president for only a few more hours

Ooh goody, does that mean it's almost time to start campaigning again? Time
to delve back into the archive methinks... :-)

TGW, soon to be a presidential candidate once again, and now with a newspaper
to back em up.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:54:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I also suggest that Joe Java build emself a Boomerang before JT and I have
> to thwap em with ours.

Hmm, that gives me an idea, I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The
Bat'telh of Honour" with a description as follows:

"About a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double headed scimitar. It
should be considered as an extension to the arms rather than a weapon if it
is to be used successfully. No Klingon warrior would be without one."

I also encourage else...if and Rex Mundi to create similar trinkets.

Qapla!
TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:06:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> Hmm, that gives me an idea, I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The
> Bat'telh of Honour" with a description as follows:

I then destroy that trinket and create a new trinket worth A$20 called "The
> Bat'leth of Honour" [that'll teach me to cut and paste from a web site
without checking the spelling] with a description as follows:

"About a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double headed scimitar. It
should be considered as an extension to the arms rather than a weapon if it
is to be used successfully. No Klingon warrior would be without one."

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:11:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexandre Owen Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

I admire The > Bat'leth of Honour.

**two-star

Is admiration regulated in general, or only of donkeys?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:14:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I then destroy that trinket and create a new trinket worth A$20 called "The
> > Bat'leth of Honour" [that'll teach me to cut and paste from a web site
> without checking the spelling] with a description as follows:

Aarghh! No it won't, it appears. I now destroy the above trinket and create a
new trinket worth A$20 called "The Bat'leth of Honour" with exactly the same
description as the last two, which I suppose I probably need to post here and
is thus:

"About a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double headed scimitar. It
should be considered as an extension to the arms rather than a weapon if it
is to be used successfully. No Klingon warrior would be without one."

There. I've read through it now and there are no mistakes (yeah, right!) so
I'm going to post. Apologies to rufus who's probably going to have to harf
all this, although I'm sure we could let em off just this once. :-)

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

Someone with an unmentionable name wrote:
>Hmmm... the 'Rangs very definitely have an open membership policy, and
>Goldenmean has proxied eir approval, neither of which I see listed on that
>page.  I can produce the relevant messages if you so desire.
>
>In any case, now that Joe Java has joined, I suggest that the Razor
>Boomerangs revoke their open membership policy because, for the first time
>in several months, we have THREE VOTING MEMBERS.  That is, as soon as Joe
>Java un-Pends emself. :-)
>
>I also suggest that Joe Java build emself a Boomerang before JT and I have
>to thwap em with ours.

I support closing the Razor Boomerang's admittance policy.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:22:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Hmm, that gives me an idea, I create a trinket valued at A$20 called "The
> Bat'leth of Honour" with a description as follows:
> 
> "About a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double headed scimitar. It
> should be considered as an extension to the arms rather than a weapon if it
> is to be used successfully. No Klingon warrior would be without one."

I challenge TGW to a Bat'leth/Boomerang duel.  
Not a Duel, for I am already involved in one of those, but a duel.

If e does not feel sufficiently provoked to accept, I provide the
following reasoning as to why e should:

Klingon, heel!  Before me kneel,
Or you'll feel my steel through your last meal!

- -Hubert

Incoming fire has the right-of-way. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:37:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

> I challenge TGW to a Bat'leth/Boomerang duel.  
> Not a Duel, for I am already involved in one of those, but a duel.

Hmm, a duel you say? I've not had much practice in duels (Duels on the other
hand I've had two, both against Alfvaen, and been a Second in two as well
IIRC). Naturally, I accept (it's a matter of honour) although I am curious as
to how you plan to carry out such a duel.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 19:49:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: T200: Second Prize

> > Hubert           (Hu)(Go)(Ho)   3
> > Alfvaen          (V)(Hu)        2

> Alfvaen and I _both_ caused me to be disqualified?

> And, if voting results posted by the Tabulator didn't count, then I would
> say TGW caused breadbox's demise, as eirs was the first Proposal to
> include *that* word and force bbx to print it as the Promoter.

Voting results counted.  Yes, I know, it's mean, but I wrote the map...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Oingo Boingo:Dead Man's Party
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
Linda Lovelace and Jim Henson in: I'VE GOT A FROG IN MY THROAT.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 20:29:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Action

>> I then destroy that trinket and create a new trinket worth A$20 called "The
>> > Bat'leth of Honour" [that'll teach me to cut and paste from a web site
>> without checking the spelling] with a description as follows:
>
>Aarghh! No it won't, it appears. I now destroy the above trinket and create a
>new trinket worth A$20 called "The Bat'leth of Honour" with exactly the same
>description as the last two, which I suppose I probably need to post here and
>is thus:
>
>"About a metre long and vaguely reminiscent of a double headed scimitar. It
>should be considered as an extension to the arms rather than a weapon if it
>is to be used successfully. No Klingon warrior would be without one."
	I create a trinket valued at A$20 named "Degh quvDaj" with the
following description: "Dun DeghwIj.  'oH nuDtaHvIS vay' Dojqu'bej pIqaD"
	I knew that book would come in handy someday...

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #93
******************************