Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #79
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Wednesday, April 1 1998       Volume 03 : Number 079

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 00:42:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Attila the Pun
# Ackanomicon determination
# based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
# 1 -15: arcane trivia
# 16-20: vile prophecies
# 21-25: inner workings
# 26-30: arcane lore
# 31-33: terrorizing pages
# 34-34: ancient artifact
# 35-36: mutation
# 37-38: dark domain
# 39-39: the secret
# 40-41: long lost treasure
# 42-43: doomsday
# 44-44: forbidden fruit
# 45-45: catastrophe
# 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
# 50-50: ancient one
# Alfvaen

No. of sides on every die:     50
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     20

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Mar 31 21:42:24 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id VAA09415 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:42:24 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt2-port-218.agt.net(209.115.133.218) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma009411; Tue Mar 31 21:42:19 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id WAA05778 for [email-masked]; Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:43:53 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Book
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:43:51 +6500 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 50
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: Attila the Pun
> #C Ackanomicon determination
> #C based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
> #C 1 -15: arcane trivia
> #C 16-20: vile prophecies
> #C 21-25: inner workings
> #C 26-30: arcane lore
> #C 31-33: terrorizing pages
> #C 34-34: ancient artifact
> #C 35-36: mutation
> #C 37-38: dark domain
> #C 39-39: the secret
> #C 40-41: long lost treasure
> #C 42-43: doomsday
> #C 44-44: forbidden fruit
> #C 45-45: catastrophe
> #C 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
> #C 50-50: ancient one
> #C Alfvaen
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNSHTzj8NitsTFjcVAQEoPgQAgvLQfEW9/SiLIIc910XWwpYTcCH/YDY0
//YEbml8c0NDInBC38D9qJxqTtXPYbZPrFz7Ma2AboiUBV/vI5UZmb6fCQJpUveO
vwQjLWMa+cQKSIPu2lzJwlXliA2Pg6inRUl+tNc2jxIZ4OjEBux4EXv3W6E100as
3Nz65suuldw=
=bH1U
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 01:05:03 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I just noticed that two-star is ineligible to hold the Office of Inventor,
> so Count Tabula should start a Nomination for Office.

If Alfvaen says so...

I am now holding a nomination for the office of Inventor.  I am sure you
all  know the drill, reply to do the nomination thing.  The nomination
lasts three days.

rufus
Count Tabula

> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Steve Winwood:Talking Back To The Night
> Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
> Drinking heavy water from a stone
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 01:47:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Some notices (was: Swift Justice?)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> In the message titled "Re: Acka: Some notices (was: Swift Justice?)" at
> 03:36 PM 31-03-98 -0500, breadbox wrote:
> 
> > I want to apologize for the impact that my
> >personal life has had upon the game; I'd hoped to avoid that.
>   ^^^^^^^^
> The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

The Harf is back, here is your cap!

Note to Scorekeeper.
Calvin N Hobbes: +55: got a winter cap cause the Harf was back.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 01:51:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > I just noticed that two-star is ineligible to hold the Office of Inventor,
> > so Count Tabula should start a Nomination for Office.
> 
> If Alfvaen says so...
> 
> I am now holding a nomination for the office of Inventor.  I am sure you
> all  know the drill, reply to do the nomination thing.  The nomination
> lasts three days.

Does ineligiblity to be nominated for the office preclude one from
continuing to hold the office if the office was won before the
ineligibility started?  I don't believe the rules say that, and I thought
we agreed that it wasn't the case.  In such a case, there is no
nomination.

Besides, how can we have a nomination?  No rule has removed two-star from
the office of inventor as far as I can see, so e's still there performing
eir duties.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 02:49:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Boomerang Politics 

Goldenmean wrote:

> I'd also like to transfer all of my possessions except 100 ackadollars
> to Hubert [or Slagothor or whatever he's going by nowadays]

Since I apparently have to, I accept the transfer of Goldenmean's non-Gift
entities.  To wit, the Benefyts.

- -Hubert

Bacardi 151 is the Daylight Savings Time of drinks--screws you up for 
days. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 03:36:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Elder Nomination

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > I also approve the nomination of Red Barn to the Hall of Elders, or
> > whatever we're supposed to do with the nomination. :-)
> 
> I too support this (making a total of four I believe).
> 
> TGW.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
I support this nomination as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 07:43:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Hubert wrote:

> 
> On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > Hubert has found the Magic Potato this week.
> 
> I am using the powers granted me by the Magic Potato to change the word
> "removed" in Rule 940 to "amended."
> 
> Go at it, Alfie!

Fortunately, I think that Rule 939 takes precedence over when Beldin's
Pants the Rule can be amended.  So this change does not enable Alfvaen to
change Rule 940 willy-nilly.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "IHNM, IJLS willy-nilly" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 08:20:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Elder Nomination

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> > > I also approve the nomination of Red Barn to the Hall of Elders, or
> > > whatever we're supposed to do with the nomination. :-)
> > 
> > I too support this (making a total of four I believe).
> > 
> > TGW.
> > 
> > ------------------------------
> > 
> I support this nomination as well.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck

Now it just becomes some interesting politicking, but still:

I support Red Barn's nomination to the Hall of Elders.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 08:53:03 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RBHR

I am responding publicly to the hearings not-yet-inprogress against the
former player Red Barn:
No, it was not polite.
Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!
BURN THE WITCH!

And just for good measure:
The President is scamming us
Phoebe would not say anything so crass
Yes, 'is toppy's a copy.
Yes! He is Hogging the Harf!
this the most inane thing since the 'whatever it is we're auctioning
today'
his loophole surfer is totally Bogus - now there's one we haven't had in
a while :)
It was obviously in violation!
the Ancients weren't that clueless
and of course NO.

I also endorse Red Barn's nomination for Elder.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:52:17 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

> > I am using the powers granted me by the Magic Potato to change the word
> > "removed" in Rule 940 to "amended."

> > Go at it, Alfie!

> Fortunately, I think that Rule 939 takes precedence over when Beldin's
> Pants the Rule can be amended.  So this change does not enable Alfvaen to
> change Rule 940 willy-nilly.

Besides, "amending Beldin's Pants" is not equivalent to "amending 'Beldin's
Pants'".  For instance, while the latter _might_ allow me to amend the
Rule, the former only allows me to 'amend' the entity known as Beldin's
Pants.  So I could be a _real_ Tailor and add another leg or turn them into
Levi's Tight-Fit Jeans or something...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Wham!:Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
HEADLESS CORPSE FOUND IN TOPLESS BAR

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:07:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Players (TGW, Hubert)

Two new players have asked to join our fair land of Ackanomic this day.

Firstly(chronologically, at least), we have a fellow named Ian Koxvold
<[email-masked]>, who claims that Slakko pointed them here,
and wishes to be known as Koxvolio.

The Gingham Wearer has been selected as eir mentor.

Secondly, there is Joel Ricker <[email-masked]>, who
wishes to be known as Joe Java and also(like some other recent
applications)has some Imperial Nomic experience.

Hubert has been selected as eir mentor.

Let's give them a hearty welcome and stuff!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Wham!:Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
"But how odd to find the telephone in the garden!"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:00:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players (TGW, Hubert)

> Firstly(chronologically, at least), we have a fellow named Ian Koxvold
> <[email-masked]>, who claims that Slakko pointed them here,
> and wishes to be known as Koxvolio.

I accept Red Barn's offer to be a map custodian for his last treasure.
By joining the game, Koxvolio has found that treasure.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:58:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Besides, "amending Beldin's Pants" is not equivalent to "amending 'Beldin's
> Pants'".  For instance, while the latter _might_ allow me to amend the
> Rule, the former only allows me to 'amend' the entity known as Beldin's
> Pants.  So I could be a _real_ Tailor and add another leg or turn them into
> Levi's Tight-Fit Jeans or something...

Isn't it equivalent?  This rule is the one rule where things can change
meaning quite often to force things to make sense.  There is nothing else
in the rules which defines how any entity other than a rule is amended, so
what makes the entity meaning more meaningful than the rule meaning?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:21:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Presidential-Style Welcome

A hearty welcome to Acka for all the new arrivals.  I hope you like it
here and are all able to stay for a long while. :-)
You have received lodgings in the northwest of our town (kaas D3, E1 and
E2 if I remember rightly) and a modest stipend to set you up initially.
To get going in our land, I suggest you might wish to peruse the current
list of proposals up for votes.  The voting period has already expired on
a number of proposals whose results are not yet known (don't worry, this
will only take at most another day or two, and most likely less than
that).  There are still others, though, which you are already (yes,
already :-)) able to vote on.  Your welcome packet from the Registrar
should have told you how to do this.

If you don't know what people are doing, or how to do much in the land
yourself, then just talk to your Mentor, or to the Registrar.  If that
doesn't get you any satisfaction (which will only happen in a very rare
instance), then you can pretty much get a decent response out of most
Ackans - including me.  So feel free to ask questions - we're always
willing to put in for people who want to get the most out of Acka.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "grandiose but I couldn't help myself" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:35:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

> I just noticed that two-star is ineligible to hold the Office of Inventor,
> so Count Tabula should start a Nomination for Office.

Which reminds me; can count tabula please start an election for the position
of senator too.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:35:32 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A C K issue 2

Ackanomic Cyclopedia of Knowledge                           still free
April 1, 1998                                         volume 1 issue 2

=--------------------------------------------------------------------=

In this issue:
* Ackanomic Recognized by United Nations
* The Rex Times Goes Bust!
* Jukkasjarvi Treasure Lost?
* Exquisite Dead Guy Still Buried

Ackanomic Recognized by United Nations
from Dissociated Press reports

In an unprecedented move this morning in Geneva, the United Nations
recognized Ackanomic as a sovereign nation and invited the nomic to
become its first member composed entirely of citizens of other member
nations.  Chairman Lirpa Sloof called it "a first step towards the next
millenium, when we eventually hope all nomics can be so recognized."

The Rex Times Goes Bust!
by /dev/reporter6

It appears that The Rex Times failed to publish an issue in March,
falling prey to that evil rule that makes newspapers go bust.
Rex Mundi could not be reached for comment.

Jukkasjarvi Treasure Lost
by A.C.K. staff

A study performed by /dev/joe has turned up an unexpected result:
apparently there is no map custodian for the Jukkasjarvi treasure.
/dev/joe called this result "very surprising," since there were
two players who appeared to be custodians for that treasure --
else...if volunteered when Malenkai made a public call for volunteer
custodians, and then Malenkai said he was making the Treasure-Harfer
(then The Gingham Wearer) a custodian and sending him the map.
However, in a study performed last week, it was revealed that
apparently neither of the two possible custodians received the map,
and therefore the Jukkasjarvi treasure may be lost for good unless
Malenkai returns.  /dev/joe reports that neither possible custodian
responded to his request, and while he interpreted this as meaning
that neither of them has the map, it is possible that one or both
of them simply forgot to respond to this message, or is being
intentionally lazy.

Exquisite Dead Guy Still Buried
compiled from Treasure-Harfer and Registrar reports

According to reports by the Treasure-Harfer, the following people are
currently disqualified from finding this treasure:

Vynd, H[censored]bert, Alfvaen, Niccolo Flychuck, The Gingham Wearer,
Sunflare, Slakko, Goldenmean, rufus, Guy Fawkes, Attila the Pun,
two-star, K 2

According to the registrar's page, this leaves the following players
eligible:

breadbox, Calvin N Hobbes, Crackfoo, /dev/joe, else...if, Fortunato,
Hoover 2300, IdiotBoy, Illusion, JT, Karma, Rex Mundi, Robert Sevin,
ThinMan, and Wild Card.

This report is as of the end of the day on March 31, so any new
players who have joined since then are probably still eligible, and
any additional players who have invalidated themselves have not
been identified yet.

However, A.C.K. notes that Hoover 2300 has invalidated emself very
recently, in the following (partially censored) message:

 > -H*b*rt
 > 
 > The truth is out there? Anyone know the URL?
 easy one.
 http://www.the-truth.com/text.html
 hoover 2300

Also, breadbox was seen to utter the accursed word on March 4 while doling
out Puppet Heads, and if breadbox's tabulator reports don't count, surely
some of the quoted proposals at the end of those reports do count.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 13:26:31 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A C K issue 2

> Jukkasjarvi Treasure Lost
> by A.C.K. staff
> 
> A study performed by /dev/joe has turned up an unexpected result:
> apparently there is no map custodian for the Jukkasjarvi treasure.
> /dev/joe called this result "very surprising," since there were
> two players who appeared to be custodians for that treasure --
> else...if volunteered when Malenkai made a public call for volunteer
> custodians, and then Malenkai said he was making the Treasure-Harfer
> (then The Gingham Wearer) a custodian and sending him the map.
> However, in a study performed last week, it was revealed that
> apparently neither of the two possible custodians received the map,
> and therefore the Jukkasjarvi treasure may be lost for good unless
> Malenkai returns.  /dev/joe reports that neither possible custodian
> responded to his request, and while he interpreted this as meaning
> that neither of them has the map, it is possible that one or both
> of them simply forgot to respond to this message, or is being
> intentionally lazy.

Oops. I'm the treasure custodian for the Jukasjarvi Treasure. I meant to
respond after the B-ack was off my trail (since I couldn't be bothered trying
to think up a rhyme) but then kind of forgot. I wasn't intentionally being
lazy, I just forgot. Pretty much like I've forgotten to actually pay any
attention to the Jukasjarvi treasure. I don't think I've actually done
anything with it. If I understand the Jukkasjarvi treasure correctly, the
idea was that Malenkai gave out a clue any time someone acquired a runestone
fragment. I haven't been doing this. Is my appraisal of this correct? If so,
and if you have acquired a RoJ fragment since Malenkai second left the game
(i.e., the time we weren't sure whether e succeeded or not) then let me know
(preferably with an approximate date that I can check up on (for some reason
I still have all my Acka mail since I joined the game (except for a few from
when my mail program was playing up (8411 if you're interested (Woo hoo! 4
nested brackets, well five now!))))) and I'll try to find the appropriate
clue. If my appraisal is wrong then tell me what I should be doing and I'll
try to do so.

Yours apologetically
The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 13:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Suggestion

I suggest Klingon transfer A$200 to me and A$75 apiece to else...if and Rex
Mundi.

The player entity page says we have lots of money (presumably from Nicole's
recent proposal) so we may as well have it. I've suggested this transfer rate
since I was the one who donated it all in the first place. If either of you
don't think this is fair then say so.

TGW,
Klingon Swinger and Founder.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:09:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A C K issue 2

TGW wrote:
> Oops. I'm the treasure custodian for the Jukasjarvi Treasure. I meant to
> respond after the B-ack was off my trail (since I couldn't be bothered trying
> to think up a rhyme) but then kind of forgot. I wasn't intentionally being
> lazy, I just forgot. Pretty much like I've forgotten to actually pay any
> attention to the Jukasjarvi treasure. I don't think I've actually done
> anything with it. 

OK, great.  I did acknowledge the possibility that the custodian forgot to
respond.

> If I understand the Jukkasjarvi treasure correctly, the
> idea was that Malenkai gave out a clue any time someone acquired a runestone
> fragment. I haven't been doing this. Is my appraisal of this correct?

Correct, but late during his time in the game, he announced a new Runestone
Fragment information policy, that he would never send out information
automatically, but only when the owner of a fragment requested it.

> If so, and if you have acquired a RoJ fragment since Malenkai second left
> the game (i.e., the time we weren't sure whether e succeeded or not) then
> let me know

The only fragments I know changed hands recently are two that Niccolo
Flychuck gave the cult of odo.  I don't think they treasure map was written
with the expectation of organizations owning some fragments, and I don't
think orgs can find treasures anyway so you probably shouldn't bother.

The other thing you should be doing is checking possible translations for
correctness, so that you can (finally!) give the treasure to the player
who finds it.  Presumably you now have the info about what key thing I
haven't done, or have done wrong, such that my first 4 guesses were
incorrect.  I would like to know if my 5th guess made on March 24 is
correct.

The Ackanomic Cyclopedia of Knowledge retracts any statments made in its
previous issue which state that the Jukkasjarvi treasure is lost forever.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:32:30 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A C K issue 2

> Correct, but late during his time in the game, he announced a new Runestone
> Fragment information policy, that he would never send out information
> automatically, but only when the owner of a fragment requested it.
> 
> > If so, and if you have acquired a RoJ fragment since Malenkai second left
> > the game (i.e., the time we weren't sure whether e succeeded or not) then
> > let me know
> 
> The only fragments I know changed hands recently are two that Niccolo
> Flychuck gave the cult of odo.  I don't think they treasure map was written
> with the expectation of organizations owning some fragments, and I don't
> think orgs can find treasures anyway so you probably shouldn't bother.
> 
> The other thing you should be doing is checking possible translations for
> correctness, so that you can (finally!) give the treasure to the player
> who finds it.  Presumably you now have the info about what key thing I
> haven't done, or have done wrong, such that my first 4 guesses were
> incorrect.  I would like to know if my 5th guess made on March 24 is
> correct.

I'm afraid this isn't good enough to find the treasure. If anyone has
acquired any fragments and wants me to send them the clues then tell me.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:43:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 550 (Guy Fawkes)

Guy Fawkes has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 550 - April 1, 1998
Subject: Bits of Brie
Initiator: JT (sent March 23, 1998, 01:21)
Judge: Guy Fawkes (selected April 1, 1998, 15:40)
Judgement: 

Statement:
    Any player who has never had a CFCJ called against them should have a
cheese of type Brie in eir possession.

Initiator's Reasoning:
   According to rule 611,
       A player receives a brie if no CFCJ called against em has returned a
       final verdict of TRUE in the last two months. If any CFCJ returns a
       TRUE verdict against a player, any brie they may have is destroyed. 

   This can be broken down into 3 cases where it might be applied.
       Case 1: A player has had a CFCJ called against them in the past 2
               months and it returned a verdict of TRUE.  This is obviously
               covered by the above statement.
       Case 2: A player has had a CFCJ called against them and none of them
               within the past two months have return a verdict of TRUE. 
This
               case is likewise clear by the above statement.
       Case 3: A player has never had a CFCJ called against them.  This is
               the case with which this CFCJ is concerned.

   According to the rule 611, a player should recieve a Brie if the number
of CFCJs called against them within the past two months that had a final
verdict of TRUE is 0.
   When a person has had no CFCJs called against them, the number of CFCJs
called against them within the past two months is obviously 0.
   Thus the number of CFCJs called against them within 2 months that returned
a final verdict of TRUE is likewise 0.
   Thus each player who has never had a CFCJ called against them should by
rule 611, have a brie in eir possession.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:18:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RBHR

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, K2 wrote:

> I am responding publicly to the hearings not-yet-inprogress against the
> former player Red Barn:
> No, it was not polite.
> Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!
> BURN THE WITCH!
> 
> And just for good measure:
> The President is scamming us
> Phoebe would not say anything so crass
> Yes, 'is toppy's a copy.
> Yes! He is Hogging the Harf!
> this the most inane thing since the 'whatever it is we're auctioning
> today'
> his loophole surfer is totally Bogus - now there's one we haven't had in
> a while :)
> It was obviously in violation!
> the Ancients weren't that clueless
> and of course NO.

I am calling a Public Health Emergency against K 2 for the above message.

Count Tabula, please do it to it.

- -Hubert

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:18:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

I thought about the situations presented by both Alfvaen and Slakko before
using the Potato on the Pants, and this is what I came up with.  I'd
appreciate it if some of you elder (ouch) Ackans would let me know what
you think of my reasoning, such as it is.

> Besides, "amending Beldin's Pants" is not equivalent to "amending 'Beldin's
> Pants'".  For instance, while the latter _might_ allow me to amend the
> Rule, the former only allows me to 'amend' the entity known as Beldin's
> Pants.  So I could be a _real_ Tailor and add another leg or turn them into
> Levi's Tight-Fit Jeans or something...

I agree with Slakko on this one.  There are two entities called Beldin's
Pants in the game, one a Garment (well, for now, at least) and one a Rule.
The Rules have nothing to say about the amending of Garments but much on
the subject of amending of Rules, especially the particular Rule entitled
"Beldin's Pants."  I think, even if it's not clear that that sentence now
refers to the Rule, it can be construed to be do so without much worry.

> > Fortunately, I think that Rule 939 takes precedence over when Beldin's
> > Pants the Rule can be amended.  So this change does not enable Alfvaen to
> > change Rule 940 willy-nilly.

This is tougher, but here's how I see it.  It's true that, by Rule 102,  
Rule 939 takes precedence over 940 _where there is a conflict._  However,
Rule 939 does not say that the Potato is the _only_ way to amend the
Pants; it just states that that is one way to do so.  Rule 940 now says
"Beldin's Pants may only be amended as described by the Praetor."  If, for
example, 'Vaen describes the manner as "Beldin's Pants may be amended as
in Rule 939 *and* unconditionally by the DeeJay." there is no conflict,
and I'm home free as long as I do everything before someone else gets the
Potato.

Finally, I'd suggest that Alfvaen at least try this now and generate (at
least) one CFJ on the subject, because eventually, someone down the line
is going to try it.  From now on, if, for example, Slakko has the Potato,
e could just replace "the Praetor" with "the President" or even "Slakko,"
and e'd have whatever e wanted.  I'd say, 'Vaen, might as well try it
now.  If it works, do your stuff and then modify it back ASAP.  If it
doesn't work, c'est la Ack.

Oh, and speaking of the DeeJay (which I did earlier) there should be an
Election for that Office today.  Really.  :-)

- -Hubert

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:19:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players (TGW, Hubert)

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Firstly(chronologically, at least), we have a fellow named Ian Koxvold
> <[email-masked]>, who claims that Slakko pointed them here,
> and wishes to be known as Koxvolio.
> 
> Secondly, there is Joel Ricker <[email-masked]>, who
> wishes to be known as Joe Java and also(like some other recent
> applications)has some Imperial Nomic experience.

Welcome to Acka!  May your stay be long and prosperous!

And let me point out, in reference to CnH's silly complaints about the
takeover of Acka by IN (or vice versa) that now _both_ Imperious Emperors
are members of Acka, are both subjects of each other, and one is Mentoring
the other.  If you ever needed proof of a conspiracy...

I suggest the Razor Boomerangs change their membership policy to open.
Since Goldenmean has proxied eir approval and I approve, this happens.

I invite all my loyal IN 29 subjects (and the paranoid Calvin N Hobbes as
well) to join the soon-to-be-revitalized Boomerangs in eir glorious
Imperial conquest of the wimpy democratic Acka.

Jihad!!!

Even though it doesn't fit in so well with the Star Wars theme.

- -Hubert

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:34:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Newspaper

I am starting up a newspaper which I shall call, in an amazing display of
unoriginality, "The Gingham Telegraph".

I am also now publishing a copy of The Gingham Telegraph below.

Contents:
Editorial
Rumours of Subterfuge!
Tweaking the Queue
Un-association Game 1 Over!
Treasure
Offices and Positions

Editorial

Hello folks and welcome to this the first ever copy of The Gingham Telegraph,
edited by me, The Gingham Wearer. I hope to be able to offer you the best in
news and take the monopoly away from Slakko who appears to me (although the
rules tell us otherwise) to be guilty of Media Baroncy. Current estimates
indicate that this paper will be brought to you once a month, although it is
possible that it will be coming out more often.

Rumours of Subterfuge!

Yes folks, that's right there have been rumours of subterfuge spreading
throughout our fair land. This was brought to the Telegraph's attention by
Acka citizen Calvin N Hobbes who was heard to say, "... ties of certain
players to the notorious imperial nomic conspiracy that's reaching its
tentacles across the world?" Although not available to comment at the time of
going to press the Telegraph has full reason to believe the claims of Mr.
Hobbes, although they were brought into some doubt by The Gingham Wearer who
claims that it is all just a plot by Acka that the rest of us did not know
of. The Telegraph wants to know who e thinks e is fooling. Only time will
tell which of these two so called experts is correct.

Tweaking the Queue

In a shock move the other day, breadbox, Acka's tireless promoter and
tabulator, announced that e was tweaking the proposal queue. We at the
Telegraph are curious as to the wisdom of this move. breadbox has undoubtedly
been very busy recently with what e dubs "real life" and has been unable to
deal with eir duties as quickly as e  might wish. By tweaking the queue e is
allowing any player to submit as many proposals as they wish. Is this wise?
Quite possibly, yes, we think. Throughout the frobbing the most active
players, such as Slakko, Alfvaen and The Gingham Wearer have had three
proposals in the queue almost constantly. Could it be that in the fear of
wasting an opportunity to submit a proposal these players have been
submitting first and thinking later? If so then the tweaking is almost
certainly a good thing. Anyhow, the Telegraph urges you all to be considerate
and not to submit too many proposals in one go.

Un-association Game 1 Over!

In a decision that came as a shock to no-one, The Gingham Wearer today
announced that Hubert had won the first ever game of Word Un-association. For
this Hubert received eir first ever Jade Grapefruit, although there appears
to be a gap in the middle of it. When we talked to The Gingham Wearer about
how he thought the first ever example of eir new game had gone he had this to
say:

"I'm moderately pleased, I think it worked well with the different
possibilities for round results all occurring. Flibble"

The reason for the last word there is unknown, but The Telegraph has reason
to believe that some of Acka's wiser players, such as Slakko and Alfvaen may
be aware of it. 

Treasure

Treasure 195 has remained unfound for almost three months now and The Gingham
wearer is beginning to think that it may be necessary to start giving clues.
When we caught up with em today e was heard muttering, "It's right under
their noses, if only they knew where to look".

Offices and Positions

The position of Boy Wonder remains unfilled with the two known candidates
Slakko and The Gingham Wearer both looking doubtful for the role. Will The
Murray Veil find someone else to do the arduous task, will e manage to go it
alone, or will e finally appoint one of these two? Only time will tell.

In other news it was today announced that two-star may or may not be the
current inventor. Alfvaen claims e isn't but Slakko and The Gingham Wearer
have both voiced their opinions that e is. A nomination period has been
called anyhow, just in case.

A new call was made for a nomination for the position of senator also today
although this is yet to be carried out. You may recall how this would already
have come to pass and a new Senator chosen had Vynd not conveniently
"forgotten" that e was already a Senator. The seat is currently filled by Rex
Mundi in an acting capacity.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:36:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

>> Besides, "amending Beldin's Pants" is not equivalent to "amending
>> 'Beldin's Pants'".  For instance, while the latter _might_ allow me
>> to amend the Rule, the former only allows me to 'amend' the entity
>> known as Beldin's Pants.  So I could be a _real_ Tailor and add
>> another leg or turn them into Levi's Tight-Fit Jeans or
>> something...
> 
> Isn't it equivalent?  This rule is the one rule where things can
> change meaning quite often to force things to make sense.  There is
> nothing else in the rules which defines how any entity other than a
> rule is amended, so what makes the entity meaning more meaningful
> than the rule meaning?

The context, for one. The preceding sentence clearly states: "Beldin's
Pants are a Garment, initially Somewhere Else." The ruleset is full of
rules that have the same title as the entity they describe. When you
state that you are chewing the gumball, nobody thinks you are chewing
Rule 903. I grant that it makes more sense to talk about amending a
rule than amending a Garment (or chewing a rule, for that matter), but
it's not really much of a stretch. And it's certainly less of a
stretch than interpreting it as saying that Rule 940 is a Garment.
There's no strong reason to believe that the first sentence refers to
one entity and the second sentence to a second. Especially
considering:

The history, for another. The rule's sentence has been interpreted as
referring to the Garment in both sentences, and has been harfed as
such in the past. I don't think an inconsistency this minor is enough
to topple that.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:32:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

>I suggest Klingon transfer A$200 to me and A$75 apiece to else...if and >Rex
Mundi.
>
I approve of this.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 20:43:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

>>I suggest Klingon transfer A$200 to me and A$75 apiece to else...if and >Rex
>Mundi.
>>
>I approve of this.
	Sure.  Me too.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:12:38 -0500 (EST)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: public actions

I create the trinket named "JT's Purple Razor Boomerang" with an
initial value of A$1 and the description of "This rather sharp and
deadly implement is forged of purple died titanium.  Etched into the
surface are the words, 'Children: Do not try this at home'"

I request membership in the Razor Boomerangs.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 22:07:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Help

	I've run into a bit of a problem.  I'm missing just about
everything except e-mail at the moment, and won't get it back until the end
of the week at the earliest.  I'll still be able to do most of my duties,
but I need someone to look through the archives and figure out how many
activities occurred today (April 1) so I can figure out the normality
factor.  Sorry to impose.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #79
******************************