Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #70
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Tuesday, March 24 1998        Volume 03 : Number 070

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:51:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Translation

1. L kdyh vxeplwwhg d sursrvdo wkdw frqwdlqv dw ohdvw 30 zrugv, exw
frqwdlqv qr yhuev.

2. L kdyh pdgh d jxhvv dw wkh Pdfklqh wkdw jrhv *slqj* wuxwk, dqg wkdw
jxhvv frqwdlqv wkh zrug 'fkduwuhxvh' dv sduw ri wkh wuxwk.

3. L kdyh sxufkdvhg d sduwb fkhvv slhfh rwkhu wkdq d sdzq.

5. L zdv wkh iluvw wr frpsohwh wdvn qxpehu 1.

7. L kdyh fruuhfwob vwdwhg wkh ohqjwk ri wkh Eudvv Prqnhb'v fkdlq,
lw lv 5 phwhu(v).

8. L kdyh yhuedwlp srvwhg d slhfh ri wklv sxccoh lq d sxeolf phvvdjh, rwkhu
wkdq wklv rqh.

9. L kdyh fruuhfwob qdphg d wbsh ri ilvk rq dqrwkhu vwrqh, lw lv khuulqj.

10. L kdyh fruuhfwob vwdwhg wkh qdph ri wkh lvodqg, lw lv Vdduhpdd.

11. L kdyh vwdwhg 3 zrugv, rqh ri zklfk frqwdlqv 5 frqvhfxwlyh yrzhov,
rqh zklfk frqwdlqv 5 frqvhfxwlyh frqvrqdqwv, dqg rqh ri zklfk frqwdlqv
6 gliihuhqw yrzhov lq doskdehwlfdo rughu.  Wkh zrugv duh txhxhlqj, 
vwuhqjwkv, dqg idfhwlrxvob.  Pruhryhu, L kdyh xvhg rqh ri wkhvh zrugv lq
d sursrvdo, sursrvdo 1742.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:01:58 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 539 (TRUE)

Alfvaen has (finally) judged this true.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 539 - February 16, 1998
Subject: Bandwidth Height
Initiator: Malenkai  (sent February 15, 1998, 7:40 p.m.)
First Judge: hoover 2300  (deadbeat)
Second Judge: Fortunato (deadbeat)
Third Judge: Vynd (deadbeat)
Fourth Judge: Alfvaen
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The height of the Tower of Bandwidth is between 131 and 132 feet.

Reasoning:

<none>

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

As far as I can tell, the main confusion in this arises from the original
description, posted back in October of 1996, wherein the tower was
described as being "40' meters" in height.  Now 40' is forty feet, unless
' is interpreted as a first derivative in which case it's zero because
the derivative of a constant is zero.  But I think that's unlikely.

However, on October 31, 1996, when the plan for building the Tower of
Bandwidth had been approved(as was later settled by a couple of CFJ's
I just looked up but already forgot the numbers of), snowgod posted:

  I am spending A$120 to build the Tower of Bandwidth, as described in my
  pan[sic] submitted to the senate.  Come January, in year two of our
  nomic, I hope to add another 40 meters.

This cost is consistent with a 40-meter tall tower.  No further building
on the Tower of Bandwidth was done(though snowgod did mention something
about it in February of 1997), so it should have that height still.

Since there is no definition in the Rules for "feet" as a measurement,
I'll just use the standard 1 meter=3.28 feet conversion, which yields
a height of approximately 131.2 feet(with more significant digits than
I am probably allowed, although of course the Rules could certainly
define 40 meters as an exact number, i.e. 40.00000000000... meters).

Thus I must rule TRUE on this CFJ.  (Is three deadbeats a post-Praetorian
record?)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:02:01 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 549 (FALSE)

Rex Mundi has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 549 - March 23, 1998
Subject: *ping*ing
Initiator: Atilla the Pun(sent March 23, 1998, 00:38)
Judge: Rex Mundi (selected March 23, 1998, 12:35)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:
It is possible for the following text, delimited by quotation marks, to
be a legal announcement that the Machine that goes *ping* has gone *ping*,
if it is taken as the entire body of an e-mail message sent to the public
forum:

"Today is Friday, the 21st day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 1 time.

Avacado."

Initiator's Reasoning:

Game custom would seem to indicate a verdict of TRUE (and, as scholar, my
life would by made easier if this were judged TRUE); however, the Machine
rule (#1209) says in part:

>...It is the duty of the Scholar to inform the rest of Acka of this
>occurrence. He must do so by posting a public message with the form,
>"Today is Someday, the xth day of Month, and the Machine That Goes
>*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
>gone *ping* n times." In the actual message, Someday, xth, and Month
>shall be replaced by the appropriate elements of the date of the *ping*
>which is being announced, and n shall be replaced by the number of times
>that the Machine has gone *ping* during the current Scholar's term. "

The above hypothetical message does not match the template given in the rule;
no provision is made for either grammatical exceptions (i.e. 1st, 2nd as
opposed to 1th, 2th) or anything in the message besides the announcement.
Thus, a strict reading of the rules would seem to indicate a verdict of
FALSE,
unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

Judge's reasoning:
I think that 1st and 2nd would be probably acceptable as misspellings of 1th
and 2th, but the message would not have the form given in the rules, so I do
not believe it would be valid.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:47:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harf

Proposals 2785 and 2790 are both harfy.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:17:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 549 (FALSE)

>Rex Mundi has been judged FALSE.
	He no longer exists?

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:10:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 549 (FALSE)

> >Rex Mundi has been judged FALSE.
> 	He no longer exists?

Er...yeah, absolutely. I did mean this and didn't start off saying "Rex Mundi
has judged this false" and then changed my mind and started saying "CFJ 549
has been judged false". No, no, no, no, no!

Sorry for any inconvenience caused (if I didn't make it sufficiently clear
that this was indeed what I meant).

TGW, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:14:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 549 (FALSE)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > >Rex Mundi has been judged FALSE.
> > 	He no longer exists?
> 
> Er...yeah, absolutely. I did mean this and didn't start off saying "Rex Mundi
> has judged this false" and then changed my mind and started saying "CFJ 549
> has been judged false". No, no, no, no, no!
> 
> Sorry for any inconvenience caused (if I didn't make it sufficiently clear
> that this was indeed what I meant).

Can I be judged UNDECIDED while we're at it? :-)

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:16:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Whoops

Many of you have probably noticed that muppetlabs.com appears to be
unreachable. This is due to a late payment to the InterNIC. The
problem will go away sometime tomorrow, as DNS changes get
propogated.

In the meantime, you should be able to send email to
[email-masked] instead of muppetlabs.com. Same goes
for the other mailing lists, and the nomicbot. My web pages can be
reached at http://eidolon.speakeasy.org/~breadbox/acka/<whatever>.

I apologize profusely for the problems.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whoops

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Many of you have probably noticed that muppetlabs.com appears to be
> unreachable. This is due to a late payment to the InterNIC. The
> problem will go away sometime tomorrow, as DNS changes get
> propogated.
> 
> In the meantime, you should be able to send email to
> [email-masked] instead of muppetlabs.com. Same goes
> for the other mailing lists, and the nomicbot. My web pages can be
> reached at http://eidolon.speakeasy.org/~breadbox/acka/<whatever>.
> 
> I apologize profusely for the problems.

That's funny - I'm looking at a muppetlabs page right now with no
problems.  And my mail to nomicbot etc hasn't been playing up at all.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:31:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whoops

> That's funny - I'm looking at a muppetlabs page right now with no
> problems.  And my mail to nomicbot etc hasn't been playing up at all.

I imagine that the first change hasn't yet propogated out of the
US. If so, you might find muppetlabs.com unreachable tomorrow. Or,
perhaps the second change will overtake it first and you'll have no
problems.

breadbox
tearing his hair out

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:47:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Player states

Yesterday at 12:11 EST, Goldenmean's Puppet Head was destroyed, and
Goldenmean became a non-voting player.

By the way, did rufus ever officially change his name back? If the
Registrar acknowledged it, I lost the message where it happened....

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 21:47:13 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Player states

> Yesterday at 12:11 EST, Goldenmean's Puppet Head was destroyed, and
> Goldenmean became a non-voting player.

> By the way, did rufus ever officially change his name back? If the
> Registrar acknowledged it, I lost the message where it happened....

Yes, e did.  I have his Harfer Fee payment, at least, recorded at Mar
11 09:42 EST, which probably coincides with my ack rather than eir
statement of intention.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Christopher Ward:Spark of Desire
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
This is an anonymous tagline, so I can't credit the author.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:01:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 549 (FALSE)

>> > >Rex Mundi has been judged FALSE.
>> > 	He no longer exists?
>>
>> Er...yeah, absolutely. I did mean this and didn't start off saying "Rex
>>Mundi
>> has judged this false" and then changed my mind and started saying "CFJ 549
>> has been judged false". No, no, no, no, no!
>>
>> Sorry for any inconvenience caused (if I didn't make it sufficiently clear
>> that this was indeed what I meant).
>
>Can I be judged UNDECIDED while we're at it? :-)
	I'll refrain froms asking to be judged INVALID.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #70
******************************