Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #67
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Saturday, March 21 1998       Volume 03 : Number 067

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 01:00:47 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: CSRR RFC

Since it is apparent to all that the game has been going a bit slow
lately, I hereby propose the following as a possible CSR to liven
things up again:

Append the following text to Rule 431, "Office of the Illuminatus.":

The Illuminatus may call for Agenda Conditions any time before the end of
March, 1998, at which time this sentence will repeal itself.

Or the same kind of thing could be done with self-deleting text...but
you get my gist.  I think that this would be in the spirit of the
Illuminatus rule, and so doesn't need to wait for a Proposal(which
should maybe do some fixing to allow a new Illuminatus to call for AC's
if e doesn't get any from the incumbent).  Also, I promise that I will
conduct such a call within the specified time period.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Smiths:Louder Than Bombs
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Jaded zombies acted quaintly but kept driving their oxen forward.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 01:02:08 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: ASS

And inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.

I place A$5 into the banna-shaped slot in the ASS control panel(since I
do even happen to be in the Library), and request the song "Tubthumping"
by Chumbawamba.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Smiths:Louder Than Bombs
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
We are all together in a Yellow Subroutine...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 02:54:17 -0500 (EST)
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

Unsubscribe acka-games
Unsubscribe acka-finance

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 07:33:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS

> And inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
> 
> I place A$5 into the banna-shaped slot in the ASS control panel(since I
> do even happen to be in the Library), and request the song "Tubthumping"
> by Chumbawamba.

I'm sorry, but this is more than I can stand. I go to the Library.

And inside, the jukebox roars like thunder.

I place A$5 into the banna shaped slot in the ASS control panel, and request
the song "Don't stop me now" by Queen.

Whilst I'm at the library I also go down to *that* room: the vault of the
book.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:07:48 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: monolith

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> The level would have been more precisely termed the "...there was just a
> tornado an hour or two ago wasn't there" level.  Because the tornado swept
> through at 14:54 Ackatime, before this action occurred.  (As soon as I
> figure out who's sheltered, I'll start figuring out who got whose
> scores...)
> 

Curses! Huberted again!  I thwapp myself with the D'oh!

rufus

Speaking of Hubert, there was a story about LBJ bugging Hubert Humphrey in
'68 that moved on the AP newswire a week ago, give or take.  Accompanying
the story was a photograph which had HH's head growing out of LBJ's
shoulder.  Hubert should take a look.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:50:14 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS

> > I place A$5 into the banna-shaped slot in the ASS control panel(since I
> > do even happen to be in the Library), and request the song "Tubthumping"
> > by Chumbawamba.

> I'm sorry, but this is more than I can stand. I go to the Library.

Hey, don't you impugn my favourite song of all of last year!  "I get
knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down..."

> And inside, the jukebox roars like thunder.

> I place A$5 into the banna shaped slot in the ASS control panel, and request
> the song "Don't stop me now" by Queen.

Okay, this has been one of my favourite songs for a long time(since I was
about 8, I think), so I guess I'll let it pass this time.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sam Phillips:Martinis & Bikinis
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
It's a carefree life...except for all the trauma...  --cdick

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:52:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: The Gingham Wearer
# Ackanomicon determination
# based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
# 1 -15: arcane trivia
# 16-20: vile prophecies
# 21-25: inner workings
# 26-30: arcane lore
# 31-33: terrorizing pages
# 34-34: ancient artifact
# 35-36: mutation
# 37-38: dark domain
# 39-39: the secret
# 40-41: long lost treasure
# 42-43: doomsday
# 44-44: forbidden fruit
# 45-45: catastrophe
# 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
# 50-50: ancient one
# Alfvaen

No. of sides on every die:     50
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     16

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Mar 21 09:52:45 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id JAA05671 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:52:45 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-122.agt.net(204.209.198.115) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma005668; Sat Mar 21 09:52:44 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by concordia.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id KAA00386 for [email-masked]; Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:54:18 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Book
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:54:17 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 50
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: The Gingham Wearer
> #C Ackanomicon determination
> #C based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
> #C 1 -15: arcane trivia
> #C 16-20: vile prophecies
> #C 21-25: inner workings
> #C 26-30: arcane lore
> #C 31-33: terrorizing pages
> #C 34-34: ancient artifact
> #C 35-36: mutation
> #C 37-38: dark domain
> #C 39-39: the secret
> #C 40-41: long lost treasure
> #C 42-43: doomsday
> #C 44-44: forbidden fruit
> #C 45-45: catastrophe
> #C 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
> #C 50-50: ancient one
> #C Alfvaen
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNRP+bz8NitsTFjcVAQG8ZwP+KuKMt7kqb5Jy4BYiP1WSEpkF9C4BXJB5
GX7y8iABR/z7v8lMsrOzTQb1EaOi4weCwVTTE2d3wCS21HYJJr+NMEDedRTkMmiY
TeW6PSyxoz8UZ7s3iwaUCiCYKxOuM/QgoQ6Ck4XqfSeRCsMMqLT/nY3WVu9gmquh
fXoFeuMxH1U=
=LxbU
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:58:38 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSRR RFC

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Since it is apparent to all that the game has been going a bit slow
> lately, I hereby propose the following as a possible CSR to liven
> things up again:
> 
> Append the following text to Rule 431, "Office of the Illuminatus.":
> 
> The Illuminatus may call for Agenda Conditions any time before the end of
> March, 1998, at which time this sentence will repeal itself.
> 

I would much rather not see this happen.  I sympathize with Alfvaen, but I
would rather not see CSRs used for anything other than their traditional
purpose, corrections.  If there is a lot of sentiment in favor of this, I
won't try and stop this particular change.  But I will certainly try to
prevent any kind of trend from developing in this area...

                                   - Vynd, former CSSR ;)

[email-masked]

> 
> 
> Or the same kind of thing could be done with self-deleting text...but
> you get my gist.  I think that this would be in the spirit of the
> Illuminatus rule, and so doesn't need to wait for a Proposal(which
> should maybe do some fixing to allow a new Illuminatus to call for AC's
> if e doesn't get any from the incumbent).  Also, I promise that I will
> conduct such a call within the specified time period.
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--The Smiths:Louder Than Bombs
> Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
> Jaded zombies acted quaintly but kept driving their oxen forward.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:02:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSRR RFC

>I would much rather not see this happen.  I sympathize with Alfvaen, but I
>would rather not see CSRs used for anything other than their traditional
>purpose, corrections.  If there is a lot of sentiment in favor of this, I
>won't try and stop this particular change.  But I will certainly try to
>prevent any kind of trend from developing in this area...
	I disagree.  I think this still qualifies as a correction, just at
a higher linguistic level.  It wouldn't change the meaning of the rule,
just repair a hole left in it by unanticipated events.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:54:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSRR RFC

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Append the following text to Rule 431, "Office of the Illuminatus.":
> 
> The Illuminatus may call for Agenda Conditions any time before the end of
> March, 1998, at which time this sentence will repeal itself.

I have proposed a fix for this, which should be out by the time breadbox
delivers the next batch of proposals.  I do agree, though, that the CSR
would work better and faster.

- -Hubert

After eating, do amphibians have to wait one hour before getting out of 
the water? 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:59:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *NOT*

Since the Machine That Goes *ping* has not gone *ping* for, well, a long
time, I am calling for the removal of myself as Scholar for this gross
breach of etiquette, especially considering as how this was how I got the
Machine from two-star in the first place.

This means that the Machine teleports itself to my house again, but before
that happens, the Truth requires that since:

Today is Saturday, the 20th of March, and the Machine that goes *ping* has
gone *ping* today.  Since I have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping*
3 times.

Now that the Machine has teleported back to my house:

I have weightier matters to research, such as the shape of the Earth.

- -Hubert

After eating, do amphibians have to wait one hour before getting out of 
the water? 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:31:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re: Voting Results

Wild Card has gone on vacation - there was a message.  Admittedly it
didn't have the Acka: header on it, but it still counts as a going on
vacation message.  The default length applies, though, seeing as e failed
to specify how long e was going on vacation.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:29:48 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oars

Hubert has found the Great Oars of Ackanomic.  So, for those of you who
are keeping track at home, e now has _both_ the Oars and the Raft.  Rule
836 doesn't seem to forbid this, so it happens.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Paul McCartney:Pipes of Peace
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Give it an understanding but no tongue.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:18:20 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CSRR RFC

> >I would much rather not see this happen.  I sympathize with Alfvaen, but I
> >would rather not see CSRs used for anything other than their traditional
> >purpose, corrections.  If there is a lot of sentiment in favor of this, I
> >won't try and stop this particular change.  But I will certainly try to
> >prevent any kind of trend from developing in this area...

> 	I disagree.  I think this still qualifies as a correction, just at
> a higher linguistic level.  It wouldn't change the meaning of the rule,
> just repair a hole left in it by unanticipated events.

Yes, this is what I was thinking.  But the Proposed longer-term fix may
work better.  I free the CSRR of any obligation to distribute my
submitted CSR.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Simple Minds:Waterfront
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Cry havoc!  And let slip the cows of war!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:18:15 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Machine

Since I believe that Hubert's recent set of actions succeeded in having
the Machine randomly teleport itself, I must therefore announce that
the Machine that goes *ping* has appeared in the home of the recently
returned(and reactivated)Attila the Pun.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Janet Jackson:Control
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:18:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 15

> Election Month - Not Quite Over Yet
> The big spate of elections is almost over.  Only one post remains yet to
> be filled, one that was, at the start of these elections, considered to be
> secure.  Unfortunately, in the mean time else...if was delinquent in eir
> duties as Caped Crusader, allowing Crimes to run rampant as not even a
> single CFCJ was issued by him over a 30 day period.

> The current nominees
> include the Boy Wonder, still enjoying eir post until a new Caped Crusader
> is elected.

I would like the Infrequent Ackan to retract this statement.  Rule 705
specifically states that "Whenever the Caped Crusader who appointed a
given Boy Wonder leaves office for any reason, that Boy Wonder loses
his position."

> Advertisements
> On the heels of the hopefully wildly successful breadbox interview, the
> Ackan is looking for more interviews. If you're aged over 12, and have
> held a public office in Acka for at least one month continuously at any
> stage in Acka's history, then the staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like
> to hear from you.

Even the oldest Acka-elders are only two years and two months or so, so
you'd better have that interview with the Ancients lined up...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Simple Minds:Waterfront
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
If you don't give cats milk, they turn back into dragons.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:20:53 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Illusion has failed to report Phoebe's wisdom.  Her matchbox has been
found by Calvin N Hobbes.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Police:Wrapped Around Your Finger
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Now your thoughts will connect by themselves.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:07:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oars

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Hubert has found the Great Oars of Ackanomic.  So, for those of you who
> are keeping track at home, e now has _both_ the Oars and the Raft.  Rule
> 836 doesn't seem to forbid this, so it happens.

I am now accepting applications for co-canoers.  To be fair, I will
randomly select three players from those who notify me privately of eir
desire to accompany me on a lovely jaunt down the Great River.  If any
players do so publicly as well, the Really Big Blue Thing will be pointed
menacingly in their direction soon thereafter.

- -Hubert

Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children. 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:13:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Machine

>Since I believe that Hubert's recent set of actions succeeded in having
>the Machine randomly teleport itself, I must therefore announce that
>the Machine that goes *ping* has appeared in the home of the recently
>returned(and reactivated)Attila the Pun.
>

As I was wandering through my completely nondescript home, I noticed a
single object which, merely by virtue of possessing a definite existence,
seemed to stand out from all the primordial chaos.  I was astonished to
discover that it was the Machine that goes *ping*.  As I stared in awe at
the machine, a small voice emerged from its innards, stating; "IF AND ONLY
IF today *** * **** ***** **** ***** ************** ** ***** ** **** ***,
THEN the Machine that goes *ping* will go *ping*."

Micah Smukler
[email-masked]
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"
"It doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter that it doesn't matter."
 -Adapted from _Beyond Numeracy_, by John Allen Paulos

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #67
******************************