Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #61
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Sunday, March 15 1998        Volume 03 : Number 061

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 00:55:49 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Church Founding

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > > Its name is the Order of the Righteous Loophold Surfers.

> > Can I consider this an unambiguous spelling mistake?  :-)

> Who are you, who would call the mysteries of the righteous a mistake?

Okay, I'll correct it to "Loophold" on the web pages.  My apologies.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Chumbawamba:Tubthumper
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
Looking for the road map not taken.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:11:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: hats

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Well, there is another option, somewhat like that which would occur
> when the Clerk of the Courts office moves on.  If I submit a CFJ to the
> Clerk of the Courts, and then e resigns, I believe that it is legal for
> the _new_ Clerk of the Courts to distribute it.  It was submitted to
> "the Clerk of The Courts", after all.
> 
> If so, then if two-star could forward the submitted agenda conditions to
> me, then I could announce them and start the voting.

I assume that two-star's Oops message was supposed to imply that e had
lost the Agenda Conditions.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:14:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following Common Sense Report as
> delimited by MY MISTAKE:

You didn't give the CSR a number so it doesn't exist.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 06:29:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: senate election results

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> > He is an existing senator as well (seat Sinecure 33).
> > So e cannot hold this seat, as Rule 401 states that no player may hold
> > more than one seat for a given office.
> > 
> > So this seat is obviously vacant and a new set of nominations must be
> > held.
> 
> Hehehehe.  I was wondreing if anyone would bother to notice before the
> election was concluded that I wasn't a legal candidate.  If you hadn't
> said something Slakko, I was going to explore the possibilities of the 14
> day limit...

It wouldn't get you very far - Rule 401 just states that you are not
allowed to hold two seats in the same office simultaneously.  Note hold,
not be elected to.  So all it would change is that which office you would
lose would be randomly determined.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 07:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR

Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> > I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following Common Sense Report as
> > delimited by MY MISTAKE:
> 
> You didn't give the CSR a number so it doesn't exist.

How come everyone else knows more about my offices than me?

If Slakko is correct then I am using my power as CSRR to issue the following
Common Sense Report, numbered 131, as delimited by MY MISTAKE:

MY MISTAKE
Modify rule 1250.19 (Word un-association) to replace:

" If e fails to do so within three days of the start of the round then e
loses three gamepoints and the round ends immediately. 

All Confused must then try to find a word to link the original word and the
announced word."

with:

"If e fails to do so within three days of the start of the round (that is,
when the referee announces the results of the previous round) then e loses
three gamepoints and the round ends immediately. 

All Confused must then try to find a word to link the original word and the
announced word and post it to the referee."
MY MISTAKE

TGW, CSRR.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 11:28:09 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Discovery

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Hubert wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > Unless it's "xanthelosmoidea".  Which likes right to me, but then so did
> > "exhilirate" until a few years ago.  I think I got it for one of the
> > four-word stories on my web page.  "God Years", I think.

the only dic in reach of my computer has xanthomatosis: a metabloic
disorder charactterized by excessive accumulation of lipids in the body
and the resultin spread of xanthomas (which are really disgustiong
orangy-yellow papules)

rufus

> 
> Alfvaen could very well be right; the Official Dictionary found no word
> matching either my spelling or eirs.  I got it from an old Bloom County
> cartoon, and liked it better than "antidisestablishmentarianism" and other
> similarly obfuscated words.
> 
> -Hubert
> 
> God is love. Love is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God. 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:56:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 539 (Alfvaen)

Fortunato is deadbeat so this goes to the Praetor (really, this time).

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 539 - February 16, 1998
Subject: Bandwidth Height
Initiator: Malenkai  (sent February 15, 1998, 7:40 p.m.)
First Judge: hoover 2300  (deadbeat)
Second Judge: Fortunato (deadbeat)
Third Judge: Alfvaen
Judgement:

Statement:

The height of the Tower of Bandwidth is between 131 and 132 feet.

Reasoning:

<none>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:57:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 546 (Hubert)

Rufus is deadbeat. Since the Praetor is also the initiator I believe this
goes to a random active player not on the CFJ ineligibility list, in this
case Hubert.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 546 - March 07, 1998
Subject: Balsamic Dragon's Elderhood
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent March 07, 1998, 18:09)
Judge: Hibert (deadbeat)
Second Judge: Hubert (selected March 15, 1998, 12:46)
Judgement:

Statement:
Balsamic Dragon's likeness is in the Hall of Elders.

Initiator's Reasoning:
What this really boils down to is the whole Vacation thing.  February 27th
is "mr cwm's Day", by Rule 843, and this is an Ackanomic Holiday.  It has
been put forward that this means it is also a Holiday by Rule 415.  I know
that game custom has never treated it this way in the many months I have
been in the game, unless all the Ackanomic Holidays are clustered in March
and April and I just never had run across them before.  :-)  (Actually,
there is quite a cluster in April, with "this is not a holiday",
"Brinjal's Day", and "Bascule's Day", not to mention "Mr. Lunatic Fringe's
day on March 31st.)  But what about Wayne's Day, on October 13th?  Habeous
Corpus's Day, July 13th?  (Okay, things were chaotic enough at that time
that we might not have noticed, and anyway HC was an active player at
that time, possibly as Voting Gnome.)  IdiotBoy's Day on August 30th?

The question of whether an "Ackanomic Holiday" is a "Holiday" may or may
not be a subtle one.  If it were a Holiday, why has past game custom
dictated that it is not?  Is this another "military laser" situation,
where what seems to be a straightforward correspondence of types is
nothing of the sort?  Since it affects Balsamic Dragon's Elderhood(but,
luckily, not many other thread-splitting events), I think we should know.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:27:58 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Discovery

>On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Hubert wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>>
>> > Unless it's "xanthelosmoidea".  Which likes right to me, but then so did
>> > "exhilirate" until a few years ago.  I think I got it for one of the
>> > four-word stories on my web page.  "God Years", I think.
>
>the only dic in reach of my computer has xanthomatosis: a metabloic
>disorder charactterized by excessive accumulation of lipids in the body
>and the resultin spread of xanthomas (which are really disgustiong
>orangy-yellow papules)
>
>rufus
>

The OED lists "xanthelasmoidea" (I think; I don't have it in front of me
right now) as another disease, which is probably a variation on that one.

Micah Smukler
[email-masked]
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"
"It doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter that it doesn't matter."
 -Adapted from John Allen Paulos

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:10:25 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Sort of New Player (Slakko)

As e has implied, Micah Smukler <[email-masked]> is rejoining
the game as Atilla the Pun.  Since eir Undead has decomposed(sending
Little Bag O' Chips I, not to mention "consisting of an infinite number
of q's"(?) into oblivion), e is considered by the Rules to be a new player.

As such, Slakko(whose mentorship of Enigma ended just a few days ago)has
been selected as eir mentor.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rosanne Cash:Hits 1979-1989
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
Irrecoverably dark total eclipse without all hope of day!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:12:08 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Whoops

Sorry, upon reading more closely, it appears that Micah Smukler is
rejoining as "Attila the Pun" rather than "Atilla the Pun".  I apologize
for any confusion, inconvenience, mayhem, and perplexity that may thus
have resulted.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rosanne Cash:Hits 1979-1989
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
Be yourself.  Who else would take the job?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:20:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 539 (Alfvaen)

> Fortunato is deadbeat so this goes to the Praetor (really, this time).

Now here's another ambiguity.  By Rule 254, when Fortunato became
Non-Voting, "they are treated as having declined judgement on all CFJ's
they have been selected to judge but not yet accepted or declined, and
treated as having failed to return a verdict on any they have accepted".

Under the current version of Rule 212, there seems to be no such action
as "accepting a CFJ".  Thus it is highly possible that Fortunato is not
a deadbeat on this CFJ.  However, it may depend on whether or not the
three-day deadline for declining the CFJ had passed when Fortunato
became Non-Voting.  That occurred at Mar 9 10:21, which is six days ago
now.  So perhaps it doesn't get assigned to me either.  But I'm fairly
sure that Fortunato doesn't get penalized pointwise.

Good thing this isn't a big major thread-split CFJ here!  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rosanne Cash:Hits 1979-1989
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:25:18 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Note

When I checked to see if Slakko was still a mentor, I also happened to notice
that Wild Card's attempts at using R1129 occurred just minutes after the end
of eir three-week new-player bonus period.  So apparently they were
unavailing.  (With the possibility of Complaint I, which only occurred in
a thread which I am not harfing, and which I think may in fact no longer
exist if that CFJ /dev/joe returned the verdict on hasn't been appealed.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rosanne Cash:Hits 1979-1989
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
Five wine experts jokingly quizzed sample chablis.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:40:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gecko Treasure Clarification

> > I thwap Guy Fawkes.  Then, for good measure, I thwap myself.  Thwapping is
> > still not regulated by the Rules, so this happens.
> 
> I sneer at Hubert.  Sneering _is_ regulated by the Rules, but falls under
> the category of entity manipulation that has no meaningful effect on the
> game state, so this happens.  :)
> 
> GF 

  I am calling a Politeness Moon on Guy Fawkes.  This is regulated and
permissible, so it happens.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Some things aren't self-referential.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:02:41 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sort of New Player (Slakko)

> As such, Slakko(whose mentorship of Enigma ended just a few days ago)has
> been selected as eir mentor.

Wasn't Slakko mentoring Wild Card? I could have sworn I was mentoring Enigma (who appears to have gone AWOL).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:07:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 539 (Alfvaen)

> > Fortunato is deadbeat so this goes to the Praetor (really, this time).
> 
> Now here's another ambiguity.  By Rule 254, when Fortunato became
> Non-Voting, "they are treated as having declined judgement on all CFJ's
> they have been selected to judge but not yet accepted or declined, and
> treated as having failed to return a verdict on any they have accepted".
> 
> Under the current version of Rule 212, there seems to be no such action
> as "accepting a CFJ".  Thus it is highly possible that Fortunato is not
> a deadbeat on this CFJ.  However, it may depend on whether or not the
> three-day deadline for declining the CFJ had passed when Fortunato
> became Non-Voting.  That occurred at Mar 9 10:21, which is six days ago
> now.  So perhaps it doesn't get assigned to me either.  But I'm fairly
> sure that Fortunato doesn't get penalized pointwise.
> 
> Good thing this isn't a big major thread-split CFJ here!  :-)

I'm not sure who this goes to and don't really have time to check, but in the
event that it shouldn't have been assigned to Alfvaen then my dice have
selected Vynd. I'll leave it up to all you lot to figure out who it really
goes to.

TGW, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:49:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Word un-association round 9

Slakko's link is accepted. Hubert's link isn't (the word re has nothing to do
with either pair or start). Slakko gains two point. The scores are now:

Slakko: 8
/dev/joe: 7
Hubert: 7

It is Hubert's go as linker and e must link from start.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:46:38 -0500 (EST)
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: farewell

- ----------
From:  aaron shapiro
Sent:  Sunday, March 15, 1998 7:39 PM
To:  'ackaposts'
Subject:  farewell

Well for everyone who hasn't been paying attention I haven't been on =
much=20
lately. It seems that I have a lot more to do than I realized when I =
started=20
playing this wonderful game.  It is much to my dismay that I must leave =
your=20
wonderful land but such is life.  Before I go though I would like to do =
the=20
following.
1) I give the trinket known as bills razor boomerang to goldenmean if =
such a=20
 player exists, or to the razor boomerang organization if goldenmean is =
not a player. I include the suggestion that the recipient hold on to =
this in case I come back
2) I donate one half of all my acka dollars (rounded down)to the razor =
boomerangs.
3) I create a trinket known as "a fine work of art" valued at all of my =
remaining=20
ackadollars describe as follows =20
"a handsome bust done in marble of a man with a ridiculously large nose =
and=20
an extremely small mouth.  Bushy eyebrows obscure deep set beady eyes =
and=20
what appears to be a tricorne cap is perched atop the statue. A pipe =
dangles at=20
a jaunty angle from the mouth and a small gold plaque at the bottom =
bears the=20
inscription [king of pirates]."
4) I donate a fine work of art to the museum
5) I bid a fond farewell to everyone who plays and thank the harfers for =
doing all the work that they do to keep things moving.
6) I suggest that the postmaster declare me to have gone postal for the=20
subject line of this.
7) I officially resign from the game of ackanomic.
Goodbye, and thank you all I hope to be back some day.

BILL THE PIRATE KING.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #61
******************************