Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #50
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Friday, March 6 1998         Volume 03 : Number 050

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 00:20:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: CFJs

I'm not sure that the CFJs which were just all assigned to me were done
properly.

CFJ 539 I'm almost positive of.  It was never assigned properly to
Malenkai, since e was the initiator, and so by the Praetor rule should
have been reassigned randomly.  So Malenkai could not have been a
deadbeat on it; it just hasn't been reassigned yet.

I also don't think that when a player leaves the game the CFJs assigned
to em remain thus assigned.  It _seems_ to me that, in the past, one is
considered to have declined the CFJ, or otherwise become ineligible for
it, so the CFJ does not necessarily go to the Praetor, and can in fact
be reassigned when the players leave the game.

However, there is no specific clause in the Rules to describe what
happens.  The above is my vague recollection of game custom, and I'm
looking through the CFJ archives to try to find an instance where it
occurred to see if it got assigned to someone other than the Praetor.
And it might be argued that Malenkai's rearrangement of the CFJ
acceptance process might have altered the Rules sufficiently.

Of course, CFJs on whether or not CFJs were properly assigned are
annoying, because then two people have to judge the same CFJ or
something, and it gets icky.

Okay, here it is, CFJ 383.  IdiotBoy had been assigned it, and then
left the game.  It was then reassigned to snowgod.  ThinMan was Praetor
at the time.  So previous game custom may indicate that upon a player
leaving the game eir CFJs are distributed randomly.  (Same thing
happened when Ben left the game after CFJ 453 was assigned to em; it
went to Vynd, who was also not the Praetor at the time.  And there
certainly wasn't a week's time difference.)

Of course, our new COTC can't be blamed for not knowing that, since it
doesn't come up _that_ often.  Maybe e should've voted for Malenkai's
"Time of No Magic" proposal(if e didn't...).  But I think it makes a
good case that I don't have to judge those three CFJs.  (Not that I
mind them, individually, but three at once, with a new job taking up
my time...oy.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--10,000 Maniacs:Our Time In Eden
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
"Call me...RoBoFop.  Come with me, or there could be...ruffles."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:01:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJs

Well, if you don't want to do it, the Praetor can always pass the buck to
the SC. :)  *duck*

GF

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Of course, our new COTC can't be blamed for not knowing that, since it
> doesn't come up _that_ often.  Maybe e should've voted for Malenkai's
> "Time of No Magic" proposal(if e didn't...).  But I think it makes a
> good case that I don't have to judge those three CFJs.  (Not that I
> mind them, individually, but three at once, with a new job taking up
> my time...oy.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:56:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJs

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I'm not sure that the CFJs which were just all assigned to me were done
> properly.
> 
> CFJ 539 I'm almost positive of.  It was never assigned properly to
> Malenkai, since e was the initiator, and so by the Praetor rule should
> have been reassigned randomly.  So Malenkai could not have been a
> deadbeat on it; it just hasn't been reassigned yet.
> 
> I also don't think that when a player leaves the game the CFJs assigned
> to em remain thus assigned.  It _seems_ to me that, in the past, one is
> considered to have declined the CFJ, or otherwise become ineligible for
> it, so the CFJ does not necessarily go to the Praetor, and can in fact
> be reassigned when the players leave the game.

But a CFJ is a game regulated entity.  Surely only the rules can specify
how it is manipulated, and so the existence or lack of existence on any
game custom in this matter would be irrelevant.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but we're not allowed to take matters into our own hands and reassign such
CFJs.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 02:11:30 -0500 (EST)
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Leaving metamorph

I leave Metamorph.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 03:27:49 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: ambassador nomination

I wish to do "you-know-what"

I also nominate myself for Ambassador

David Scheidt wrote:

> I am now taking nominations for office of Ambassador, formerly held by the
> late Balsamic Dragon.
>
> Reply to do you-know-what.
>
> hibert

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:04:14 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: deejay elections

Hubert is elected the first Ackanomic DeeJay.

Hibert
Count Tabula

Alfvaen		CNH
Alfvaen	alfvaen
Hubert	GoldenMean
Hubert	Hubert
Hubert	Slakko
Hubert	Slakko
TGW	TGW
TGW	Wild Card
TGW	else...if

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 06:25:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I Had a Dream

It was The Dream.

I knew it was.  The same one I've had ever since... the accident...

I was fleeing through the forest, the sounds of my pursuers echoing
blindly behind me.  The branches seemed to reach out for me, to grab me,
to stop me.  All around me I could see signs of... of _them_.  Out of the
corner of my eye, I'd catch a glimpse of some unspeakable horror scuttling
away into the undergrowth, or a pair (or trio) of malevolently glowing red
eyes watching me struggle through the trees, but when I turned to look
there'd be nothing.  And all the time, I could hear them after me.  The
shuffling of feet, the squishing of tentacles, the chittering of thousands
of tiny voices eager to bathe in the blood of their prey -- me.  But,
though I knew they were gaining on me, I also knew somehow that I dared
not look back.

I don't know how long I ran, how far through that dank and unearthly
forest I stumbled in a futile attempt to escape the voices that, no matter
how fast I went, never seemed to recede.  But suddenly the foreboding
trees gave way, and I plunged into the moonlight.  The change was like an
electric shock: the vague and dim outlines of the forest giants gave way
to a crystal clarity of vision in which the tiniest blade of grass looked
sharp enough to draw blood.

The sudden light, rendering my surroundings in a stark clarity, was enough
to show me the futility of my flight.  For in front of me lay a huge
chasm, whose bottom I could not see despite the cold light of three full
moons.  Behind me lay the forest, and even as I whirled around, my back to
the chasm, I realized that my pursuers had reached the edge of the trees.
Slowly now, for they knew they had me cornered, they advanced into the
moonlight, grinning evilly as they clenched what passed for hands in
anticipation.

And then, suddenly, they stopped.  Silence reigned supreme in the night;
the only sound was that of my heart thudding frantically against my ribs.
The grotesqueries in front of me stood frozen in anticipation, some
looking tensely over their shoulders into the forest, some slavering as
they stared at me, smelling the warm blood flowing in my veins, but all
unwilling -- or unable -- to move further.

At that moment, as I knew He would, He came.  The mighty trees at the edge
of the forest were tossed apart like firewood by a pair of clawed hands
many times bigger than my own puny body.  As He stepped out of the forest
into the light of the moons, He threw His head back and howled.

Although I hear that howl every night in my darkest dreams, nothing can
ever prepare me for it.  Wild and primal, it has a terrible soul-chilling
beauty that seems as likely to burst your heart as freeze it solid.  In
utter terror, I tried to scramble backward as He advanced on me, not
caring about the chasm behind me but just wanting desperately to escape
that ghastly apparition.  But I was as powerless to move as I was to wake.

He leaned forward over my cowering form, His saliva searing gaping wounds
into my chest as it dripped.  But the pain was nothing compared to the
dread I felt as He locked eyes with me.  Long I stared into that hideous
visage like a rabbit transfixed by a beam of light, unable to break away,
unable to move even to breathe.  Suddenly He drew back like a snake about
to strike, and as I cringed, waiting to feel His teeth rend my flesh, I
heard Him cry out in a demoniac voice, loud and clear and strong and
terrible: 

"IF AND ONLY IF today *** ******* ****** ******* **** **** ****** ** *
****** *****, THEN the Machine That Goes *Ping* shall go *ping*."

- -Hubert

668: The Neighbor of the Beast

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 08:42:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: deejay elections

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> Hubert is elected the first Ackanomic DeeJay.
> 
> Hibert
> Count Tabula

I didn't think I'd voted twice!

> Hubert	Slakko
> Hubert	Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:49:23 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJs

> > I also don't think that when a player leaves the game the CFJs assigned
> > to em remain thus assigned.  It _seems_ to me that, in the past, one is
> > considered to have declined the CFJ, or otherwise become ineligible for
> > it, so the CFJ does not necessarily go to the Praetor, and can in fact
> > be reassigned when the players leave the game.

> But a CFJ is a game regulated entity.  Surely only the rules can specify
> how it is manipulated, and so the existence or lack of existence on any
> game custom in this matter would be irrelevant.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but we're not allowed to take matters into our own hands and reassign such
> CFJs.

Okay, it looks like, _apart_ from CFJ 539 which was not legally
assigned to Malenkai in the first place, the Rules may lead more to the
interpretation that there is nothing wrong with a CFJ remaining assigned
to a player who has left the game, and the only way it can be reassigned
is by their deadbeathood.  (And if Malenkai broke this when e revamped
the Rules I shall not be happy.)  But I will try to fix this.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Gypsy:Together Wherever We Go
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
Bite the wax tadpole.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:03:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

> And you're definitely right that flooding TGW with CFJs, or breadbox with
> Proposals once the queue's unfrobbed, would be an easy but terribly
> unharfy way to make some money in the market.

Maybe we need to define this as another type of Spam, as per Rule 721.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Heart:Heartless
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
Now is the time for all brown dogs to jump over the lazy lynx.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 11:38:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Maybe we need to define this as another type of Spam, as per Rule 721.

I would prefer we didn't.  This is one of those things that fall under
trying to regulate good faith.  If the Rules regulate it, it encourages
people to find the cracks in the Rule, and to play right to the edge of
the Rule (or to brazenly be Annoying, then find a way to prevent the
Justice system from taking away their gains from the Annoyance).  If the
Rules don't regulate it, and the players make it very clear that such
behavior, though not explicitly illegal, is very much intolerable, only a
player who is deliberately trying to hamper others' enjoyment of the game
would do such a thing.  It's a case where regulation makes the problem
worse.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 11:47:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stocks

Hmmm... let's see.  Ima gonna go out on a limb here, and buy 60 stocks.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 12:02:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

> The other part about the market Rules, as I understand them, that opens
> them up to gross abuse is that just before midnight, anyone can quickly
> calculate what the price of the stocks will be just after midnight, and
> either buy or sell appropriately.  If you do it right, you will only own
> the things for a few minutes, with near pefect knowledge of what their
> price will be when you sell it.  As the Rules currently stand, the
> Ackanomic Stock Market is heaven for overnight traders, and stock trading
> becomes a sort of situation whose name begins with H that I'd rather not
> mention right now -- whoever happens to have net access around midnight
> EST can make a profit on stocks.

An idea I had is making all stock transactions delayed until just after
midnight.  Put all the requests for buying and selling stock over the
course of a day into a queue, and process the queue at the beginning of
the next day.  This way you can never buy or sell stock at the old price
when you already have information about the new price.  It still favors
people who can be on-line at night, though, since the new price you will
be buying or selling at is entirely determined just before midnight,
while early in the day the new price is still to-be-determined.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:00:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 544 (Rex Mundi)

Rex Mundi has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 544 - February 23, 1998
Subject: Selling Stocks
Initiator: else...if  (sent March 05, 1998, 17:58)
Judge: Rex Mundi  (selected March 06, 1998, 12:57)
Judgement:

Statement:
It is equally legal and illegal for else...if to sell 100 stocks.

Initiator's Reasoning:
	Rule 530 says:
	"If the player lacks enough money to purchase the number of shares
they requested, than the purchase request will be treated as if they
requested the largest number of stocks they can buy without going into
debt."  else...if requested 100 stocks.  The above clause was applied, so
it was treated as if he requested 1 share, so the above clause was not
applied, so the above clause was applied, etc.  It is illegal to trade an
entity a player does not own.  Thus, since else...if equally has 1 and
100
shares, it is equally legal and illegal for him to sell 100 shares.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:05:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 539 (Fortunato)

I believe Alfvaen is correct. Fortunato has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 539 - February 16, 1998
Subject: Bandwidth Height
Initiator: Malenkai  (sent February 15, 1998, 7:40 p.m.)
First Judge: hoover 2300  (deadbeat)
Second Judge: Fortunato
Judgement:

Statement:

The height of the Tower of Bandwidth is between 131 and 132 feet.

Reasoning:

<none>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:13:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> An idea I had is making all stock transactions delayed until just after
> midnight.  Put all the requests for buying and selling stock over the
> course of a day into a queue, and process the queue at the beginning of
> the next day.  This way you can never buy or sell stock at the old price
> when you already have information about the new price.  It still favors
> people who can be on-line at night, though, since the new price you will
> be buying or selling at is entirely determined just before midnight,
> while early in the day the new price is still to-be-determined.

This is a good idea, but I like it for different reasons -- it makes
tracking the stocks far easier for the FO's -- all buying and selling that
takes place during a day takes place at the same price.  Personally,
though, I think the activity index based on proposal and CFJ submissions
is irredeemably rife for abuse potential.  Even without the blatantly
cheesy scams (buy, then submit a few dozen worthless proposals or CFJ's),
variations exist that have the same affect but are nearly
unregulatable (arrange with your partymates to submit all your
proposals for each week on the same day, and everyone owns stock for that
day).  And then, if the Promoter or CotC should be the slightest bit
unscrupulous, the scams are obvious.

Once the frobbed queue allows me to submit proposals again, I am going to
propose to eliminate the activity index and let the stock market float on
just the positivity index alone, which has far less abuse potential (aside
from the Tabulator letting his friends know what the voting results are
before they are released).  I'm sure there are plenty of other suitable
indices to use in the future, but the activity index just bothers me to no
end.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:28:40 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Transfer

I approve of the Moral Kiosk's transfer of the EBS to Rex Mundi.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:29:15 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 539 (Fortunato)

I accept this CFJ (and then go figure out what the Tower of Bandwidth is
:))

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Tom Walmsley [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, March 06, 1998 12:05 PM
>To:	Acka
>Subject:	Acka: CFJ 539 (Fortunato)
>
>I believe Alfvaen is correct. Fortunato has been selected.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 539 - February 16, 1998
>Subject: Bandwidth Height
>Initiator: Malenkai  (sent February 15, 1998, 7:40 p.m.)
>First Judge: hoover 2300  (deadbeat)
>Second Judge: Fortunato
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>The height of the Tower of Bandwidth is between 131 and 132 feet.
>
>Reasoning:
>
><none>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:36:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stock price clarification

After looking at the Rules, I think the price of a stock purchase works
like this:

Rule 500 states that whenever the Rules call for a fractional part of an
entity to be transferred, the fractional number shall be rounded to the
next greatest integer.  Rule 530 lacks precedence to overcome this.  Rule
530 states that a group of stocks being bought or sold are bought or sold
one at a time, and that afterwards, the purchase price, if fractional,
shall be rounded to the player's disadvantage.

Well, let's say I buy 20 stocks (hypothetically) at a price of 19.5 A$
each.
I buy the first stock.  Rule 530 tries to transfer 19.5 A$ from me to the
Treasury, but succeeds in transferring 20 A$ instead (19.5 rounded to the
next greatest integer.)
I buy the second stock.  I end up paying 20 A$ for this one, too.
... (etc.)
Total price A$400 -- not fractional, so not rounded by Rule 530.

Now I sell these 20 stocks (still hypothetically) at a price of 19.5 A$
I sell the first stock.  Rule 530 tries to transfer 19.5 A$ from the
Treasury to me, and succeeds in giving me A$20.
... (etc.)
Total price A$400 -- not fractional, so not rounded by Rule 500.

In short, the purchase price of a group of stocks is the number of stocks
bought times the least integer greater than the value of the stock market
(if the market has a fractional value).

GF

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 16:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

>On the other hand, it is very obvious how to make the market rise quickly
>-- submit a bunch of CFJ's (the frobbed queue makes this difficult to do
>with proposals).  There is no cost to submit a CFJ (and rightfully so --
>one should not have to pay to have the Rules clarified), so on any given
>day, one can author 30 (or 300, for that matter) CFJ's with more or less
>trivial statements) and send them off to the CotC.  Buy a large collection
>of stocks, watch the activity index jump by 10 (or 100) points that day,
>and sell for a handy profit.  Bribe the appropriate officer not to spread
>them out over three days, and you make a tidy profit.  (Or better yet, BE
>the appropriate officer and bribe Acka not to impeach you afterwards.)
>The thing I really don't like about this the way it currently stands is --
>by making work for the Functional Officer's, one can rapidly make obscene
>amounts of A$.
	Sure-and be immediately convicted for being annoying, I expect with
a fine suspiciously similar to the profit you made.

>My solution would be to replace the activity index with something not so
>easily manipulated by player actions that have no cost whatsoever to the
>player (or whose cost is minimal as compared to the returns).  Perhaps
>that buying X number of shares raises the market by 0.1 (the increase in
>price occurring before you buy the stocks) and selling lowers accordingly
>(once again, the change occurring before you sell).
	The original RFC was affected by purchases and sales.  I'll propose
that if what we have now works.

	/dev/joe offered a queuing sugestion which I really liked.
Although it still gives a slight advantage to players who are online around
midnight, breadbox usually does the proposals several hours before that, so
the inequality would be minimal.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 16:33:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Puppet Head Status

The following players are still yet to touch their puppet heads:

Crackfoo
Enigma
Hoover 2300
two-star
Red Barn

Remember, if you don't do it within a week of receiving the puppet head,
you automatically become non-voting.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 17:20:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: How to crash (or inflate) the stock market

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	Sure-and be immediately convicted for being annoying, I expect with
> a fine suspiciously similar to the profit you made.

A group of four players (why, we have a few orgs that size!) can easily
arrange to submit 12 completely legitimate proposals to the Promoter on
the same day.  The profit isn't half so spectacular, but what if the queue
wasn't frobbed?  What's more, if none of the proposals were blatantly
proposals for proposals' sake, I for one would not convict any of them of
spam.

Even that aside, this being nomic, I wouldn't count on the Judge being
able to apply the fine -- the best scammers always have one more loophole
up their sleeve.  (Of course, the best scammers would never think of
spamming the queue).

The point is, whether or not Spam is Annoying, the Rules should never
contain the possibility that Spam could be used to gain a game advantage.
Normally, players' sense of fair play prevents such, but when the
advantages begin to exceed the effort involved in the spamming, such
sensibilities break down...

> 	/dev/joe offered a queuing sugestion which I really liked.
> Although it still gives a slight advantage to players who are online around
> midnight, breadbox usually does the proposals several hours before that, so
> the inequality would be minimal.

The queueing solution is good.  But still, I buy today, spam tomorrow,
then sell.  I like the Stock Market's potential (I voted for it, despite
its flaws).  The activity index is one thing in it that needs to go,
whether or not any other index replaces it.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 18:08:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 544 (Rex Mundi)

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Call For Judgement 544 - February 23, 1998
> 
> Statement:
> It is equally legal and illegal for else...if to sell 100 stocks.
> 
> Initiator's Reasoning:
> 	Rule 530 says:
> 	"If the player lacks enough money to purchase the number of shares
> they requested, than the purchase request will be treated as if they
> requested the largest number of stocks they can buy without going into
> debt."  else...if requested 100 stocks.  The above clause was applied, so
> it was treated as if he requested 1 share, so the above clause was not
> applied, so the above clause was applied, etc.  It is illegal to trade an
> entity a player does not own.  Thus, since else...if equally has 1 and
> 100
> shares, it is equally legal and illegal for him to sell 100 shares.

I was just wondering whether the precedence of Rule 510, "Voluntary Debt
Prohibited", would prevent this particular section of Rule 530 from taking
effect anyway?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 18:27:06 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Leaving the wilds

I am leaving the wilds and going to Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 21:47:24 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: deejay elections

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> 
> I didn't think I'd voted twice!
> 
> > Hubert	Slakko
> > Hubert	Slakko

You didn't.  Sorry.  One of the votes was mine.  Not sure how I managed
to spell hibert  Slakko, though

Slakko^Whibert`

> 
> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
> Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer
> 

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #50
******************************