Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #45
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Monday, March 2 1998         Volume 03 : Number 045

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 00:03:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Images

Now that I'm no longer Web-Harfer and have a little bit of free disk
space, I actually had time to look for some new images.  Some of you may
already have noticed these on the PE pages(or not...)  Of course, I can
claim little credit for them--the Benefyt image is Slakko's, and the
Wool Sweater, Chocolate Frog, Cheez-Whiz, and Jade Grapefruit were done
by The Gingham Wearer.  I also found a nice Gold Pocketwatch on the net
(although it doesn't look quite as good for being shrunken...).  All I
had to do was convert them to transparent GIFs...

Anyone else who has any contributions, whether of your own or from
publicly available clip art, feel free!  Particularly the Oars, which
should be pretty easy to find, and the Silver Pitchfork...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Luscious Jackson:Naked Eye
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 05:46:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Everybody has one of those days, I guess.  I was sitting dejectedly
outside my house watching the walls bulge ever outward under the pressure
exerted by my newly stol -- that is, acquired -- really big Blue Thing.
Every time the walls gave way a little more, the Blue Thing would seem to
grow even larger.  This relentless conflict seemed to have but one
possible result, I mused, as spiderweb cracks began to appear in my walls.

As if the eventual destruction of my house weren't enough, my newly
acquired "second" head, Hubert, had just submitted a petition to change
our name from my own to his.  This had led to our first argument since the
day I had purchased him from the AIGR, and we were still sitting there on
the doorstep, unable to enter our house, arguing the merits of our
respective names, when with a noise that sounded like a hundred people all
saying "whop," a small red-and-blue matchbox was forcefully propelled out
of one of the widening cracks in my house into the small of our collective
back. 

Out crawled none other than the Acka-famous Phoebe the Steel Flea.  I was
ecstatic; finally the most beloved entity in all Acka had taken the time
off her busy wisdom-dispensing schedule to visit me.  Hubert was less
happy; he claims wisdom makes his teeth ache.  Fortunately, though, even
he wasn't willing to offend Phoebe for fear of instant decapitation.

"Slagothor, Hubert," began Phoebe.

"Ha!" exclaimed Hubert.  "You said my name! Now you can never find
Treasure 200!"

Phoebe turned a withering glance on him, and for once in his life, he shut
up.  He did, however, cringe and reach for his topical anesthetic as she
struck an oratorial pose on the lip of the matchbox.

"Hubert, Slagothor," began Phoebe.

"Hey, Phoebe," I interrupted.  "What did you think of my ASS?"

"It's cute, Slagothor.  Now stop interrupting me," she said testily.
"Slagothor and Hubert --"

"Phoebe," said Hubert suddenly, "was I right to change our name to try and
force people to forfeit Alfvaen's treasure?"

"Who gives a tomato, Hubert?" she snapped, the irritation evident in her
silvery voice.  "Now, for the last time, I was saying, Slagothor, Hubert,
you have done much to promote the harf of --"

"Hey, speaking of that," I said, "did you really say that to Illusion
about how we worship harf too much?  Say it ain't so, Phoebe!"

Phoebe cast a glare at me that would have scared off the B-Ack, muttered
something that sounded a lot like "duck shoe" under her breath, and turned
to climb back into her matchbox.

"No, Phoebe, I have to know!" I cried.  "The hearing found that he didn't
report it accurately, but he claimed later that he did!  What actually
happened?  You gotta let me know!"

"Slagothor," she replied impatiently, "where in hell do you think
Illusion's name came from?"

And with that, she turned abruptly and jumped back into her matchbox,
poking her tiny silver head out only to remark, "And I'm not going to
visit you again until you learn to let a flea finish a sentence!"

Upon which the matchbox disappeared with a noise like a hundred people all
saying "floop," but which I realized moments later was that of my poor
overstressed house finally exploding.

Hubert and I turned to each other in the gentle drizzle of pulverized
plaster and other assorted house parts and both said, "It's _your_ fault."

- -Hubert

Two men in a Yugo were arrested following last night's push-by shooting. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 07:39:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Results of WitchHunt 134

This witchhunt's 3 day period has well and truly expired.

Results were:

Votes to BURN THE WITCH: 3
Votes for No, e said the earth was flat: 5

Therefore, e said the earth was flat.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 09:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Good bye

>I nominate Balsamic Dragon for the Hall of Elders.

I support the nomination, or nominate her myself, whichever contributes
to getting her into the Hall.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions

I remove my prosthetic forehead.

I request membership into all organizations with fewer than three members
except for churches and political parties.

I suggest Kerplunk, kerplunk III changes its admissions policy to open. I
approve of this.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:22:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I remove my prosthetic forehead.
> 
> I request membership into all organizations with fewer than three members
> except for churches and political parties.

As the sole member of Religious Nutcase I suggest that The Gingham
Wearer's plea for admission be accepted.

I approve this suggestion.

> 
> I suggest Kerplunk, kerplunk III changes its admissions policy to open. I
> approve of this.

I become a member of Kerplunk, kerplunk III

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:59:53 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Illuminatus

I am calling for there to be an election for the position of illuminatus.
I will volunteer for this and do it if no-one else wants to because it
seems a shame to have all the rules for it just sitting there unused, but
would rather someone else did, because, as I have pointed out before, I
don't play for points so the points advantage won't be much use to me,
and I would rather have lots of nice agenda conditions to play with. So
when it comes to the election, please don't vote for me if there are
other nominees.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:02:32 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka: EBS

I also approve of this suggestion.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Gavin M. Doig [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Sunday, March 01, 1998 11:55 AM
>To:	ackanomic
>Subject:	acka: EBS
>
>I suggest that The Moral Kiosk build an Evil Ballot Stuffer in its secret
>lab. I approve of this suggestion.
>
>Rex Mundi.
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:05:07 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka: EBS

Ack, I don't think I can do this yet.

I remove myself from vacation.

I re-approve of this suggestion.  Therefore, it happens.
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From:	Gavin M. Doig [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>>Sent:	Sunday, March 01, 1998 11:55 AM
>>To:	ackanomic
>>Subject:	acka: EBS
>>
>>I suggest that The Moral Kiosk build an Evil Ballot Stuffer in its secret
>>lab. I approve of this suggestion.
>>
>>Rex Mundi.
>>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:09:23 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  illuminatus nomination

An election for Illuminatus has been called.  Reply to this message to
nominate yourself.

rufus

Count Tabula

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:40:29 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More actions

I am taking possession of the little lamb.

I am proxying my support to religious nutcase.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:46:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swingpoint and Stabber's Knives Summary

Swingpoint Awards for Fortnight ending Monday 2/3:

Number of Swingers: 6

Slakko: 6
Niccolo Flychuck: 5
Alfvaen: 4
The Gingham Wearer: 3

Party Swingpoints:

Fortunato: 1
rufus: 1

No FairPlay Awards were converted into Swingpoints.

Next  Award: Monday 16th March.
Current NoS: 6.

Total Swingpoints
39 /dev/joe
33 Slakko
31 Red Barn
30 Niccolo Flychuck
27 Alfvaen
10 Karma
 8 The Gingham Wearer
 5 Malenkai
 5 Fortunato
 5 rufus
 3 ThinMan
 3 Vynd
 2 Balsamic Dragon
 2 breadbox
 1 two-star

Stabber's Knives awarded:

18/1/98: Slakko (/dev/joe surrendered)
10/2/98: Slakko, The Gingham Wearer (Red Barn surrendered)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:47:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More actions

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I am taking possession of the little lamb.

You thread splitter!  Now we have to determine whether or not the
Ackanomic Holiday is a Holiday or not!

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 13:06:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More actions

> > I am taking possession of the little lamb.
> 
> You thread splitter!  Now we have to determine whether or not the
> Ackanomic Holiday is a Holiday or not!

Oh damn, I forgot about that. I'll try again tomorrow so unless someone
tries to do so then we probably won't need to know.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 14:05:04 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Matress

I suggest that the Matress designate ThinMan as a player empowered to
accept and decline membership petitions to the Matress.

I approve the suggestion.

On behalf of the Matress, I decline TGW's request for membership.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:21:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Miscellania

I return to my house from the Wilds of Ackanomia.

I note that the B-Ack seems to be relatively deaf; it heard neither The
Gingham Wearer nor myself during our stay there.  (Just a gentle chide at
the OiCoRT for failing to notice my conviction in the valid BPH called
against me; I don't want to cause a thread split.)

I become a member of Kerplunk, kerplunk III.

I note that the meaning of "official Ackanomic business" in Rule 251 is
apparently somewhat ambiguous.  It seems to me to imply business which is
a Duty or Privelege of office.  In which case, Hearing-Harfer is an
office, albeit a temporary one, so I seem to be immune to Hearings called
against me by those who haven't yet mentioned the unmentionable.
Unfortunately, Referee and Wrangler aren't offices (at least, Wrangler
isn't designated so by the Rules AFAICS, though it is on the Web page),
so I can't force /dev/joe or Fortunato to say It.  I could see a valid
case being made, however, for both Duels and Grab-a-Donkey being "official
Ackanomic business."  I could easily force, for example, Slakko to say it
simply by submitting a CFJ while e is Ackting CotC, but I think I'll let
em stew in paranoia a bit longer.  Any other thoughts on the matter of
what, exactly, constitutes "official Ackanomic business?"  Perhaps someone
should submit a CFJ on the subject... (I'm coming for you, Slakko. :-)

- -Hubert, who _has_ Learned eir Lesson, no matter what the P/E page might
say.

If a Stealth bomber crashes in the forest, does it make a sound?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:15:10 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Miscellania

> I return to my house from the Wilds of Ackanomia.

I'm tempted to do the same but I think I'll stay in the wilds for a bit.
There's some amazing wild-life out here. :-)

> I note that the B-Ack seems to be relatively deaf; it heard neither The
> Gingham Wearer nor myself during our stay there.  (Just a gentle chide
at
> the OiCoRT for failing to notice my conviction in the valid BPH called
> against me; I don't want to cause a thread split.)

I prefer the interpretation that the ferocious B-Ack is afraid of me. :-)

> I become a member of Kerplunk, kerplunk III.

Ah, three members. Excellent. I suggest Kerplunk, kerplunk III gets rid
of it's open admissions policy.

> I note that the meaning of "official Ackanomic business" in Rule 251 is
> apparently somewhat ambiguous.  It seems to me to imply business which
is
> a Duty or Privelege of office.  In which case, Hearing-Harfer is an
> office, albeit a temporary one, so I seem to be immune to Hearings
called
> against me by those who haven't yet mentioned the unmentionable.
> Unfortunately, Referee and Wrangler aren't offices (at least, Wrangler
> isn't designated so by the Rules AFAICS, though it is on the Web page),
> so I can't force /dev/joe or Fortunato to say It.  I could see a valid
> case being made, however, for both Duels and Grab-a-Donkey being
"official
> Ackanomic business."  I could easily force, for example, Slakko to say
it
> simply by submitting a CFJ while e is Ackting CotC, but I think I'll
let
> em stew in paranoia a bit longer.  Any other thoughts on the matter of
> what, exactly, constitutes "official Ackanomic business?"  Perhaps
someone
> should submit a CFJ on the subject... (I'm coming for you, Slakko. :-)

I don't see what the problem is here. So long as any officers, players or
whatever are unambiguous they aren't doing anything wrong. Incidentally
Niccolo said Hubert during the proceeds of the auction.

> -Hubert, who _has_ Learned eir Lesson, no matter what the P/E page
might
> say.

TGW, who had learned eir lesson for an hour or so but unlearned it fairly
quickly. Somehow.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:31:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Miscellania

>> I become a member of Kerplunk, kerplunk III.
>
>Ah, three members. Excellent. I suggest Kerplunk, kerplunk III gets rid
>of it's open admissions policy.
	I join Kerplunk, kerplunk III.  If possible, I support the
suggestion that Kerplunk, kerplunk III get rid of its open admissions
policy.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:42:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Miscellania

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, H'bert wrote:

> 
> I return to my house from the Wilds of Ackanomia.
> 
> I note that the B-Ack seems to be relatively deaf; it heard neither The
> Gingham Wearer nor myself during our stay there.  (Just a gentle chide at
> the OiCoRT for failing to notice my conviction in the valid BPH called
> against me; I don't want to cause a thread split.)

Doesn't matter - it hasn't been 14 days, so you could be retroactively
Hosed!  Wouldn't that be fun - but when would the Hosing take effect from?

> Perhaps someone
> should submit a CFJ on the subject... (I'm coming for you, Slakko. :-)

If I should _accidentally_ misspell your name H'bert, then the misspelling
is ambiguous, so it means your name anyway.  However, it isn't _actually_
your name, so I'm still off scot free as far as I can see.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:15:40 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: k, k III

I join Kerplunk, Kerplunk III
rufus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:18:59 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Miscellania

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> If I should _accidentally_ misspell your name H'bert, then the misspelling
> is ambiguous, so it means your name anyway.  However, it isn't _actually_
> your name, so I'm still off scot free as far as I can see.

Okay, this should make it harder on you:  I change my name to Hibert,
pending the Registrar's ack.

soon to be rufus no more.

> 
> 
> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
> Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:50:40 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

Goldenmean has found the Magic Potato.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Elton John:Crocodile Rock
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
Absence makes the heart grow fungus.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:54:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Newspaper

I am creating a new newspaper, named the Ackanomic Cyclopedia of Knowledge,
or ACK for short, by paying the A$20 fee.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:04:01 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Malheureusement

Balsamic Dragon received ten nominations to the Hall of Elders.  (At
least, I think so...there's some ambiguity as to whether the original
nomination counts as well.)  Unfortunately, there were 22 active players
at the time, so e narrowly missed being inducted.

Unless I missed anyone, the original nomination came from Calvin N Hobbes,
and the supporting votes came from Slakko, /dev/joe, Alfvaen, rufus, The
Gingham Wearer, Goldenmean, Niccolo Flychuck, Wild Card, and ThinMan.

Unless, of course, mr cwm's day _is_ a Holiday, in which case there's
still another day.  (Somebody clear this up, quick...or at least get the
CFJ into the courts where it can wait for them to be fixed.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Easybeats:Fancy Seeing You Here
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
Always avoid alliteration.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:06:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Balsamic Dragon received ten nominations to the Hall of Elders.  (At
> least, I think so...there's some ambiguity as to whether the original
> nomination counts as well.)  Unfortunately, there were 22 active players
> at the time, so e narrowly missed being inducted.
> 
> Unless I missed anyone, the original nomination came from Calvin N Hobbes,
> and the supporting votes came from Slakko, /dev/joe, Alfvaen, rufus, The
> Gingham Wearer, Goldenmean, Niccolo Flychuck, Wild Card, and ThinMan.
> 
> Unless, of course, mr cwm's day _is_ a Holiday, in which case there's
> still another day.  (Somebody clear this up, quick...or at least get the
> CFJ into the courts where it can wait for them to be fixed.)
> 
 Some other people support this whilst we sort out the Holiday...

 Wild Card.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

> Some other people support this whilst we sort out the Holiday...
	If possible, I support Balsamic Dragon's nomination to the Hall of
Elders.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:26:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Sunflare <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

At 08:06 PM 3/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>
> Some other people support this whilst we sort out the Holiday...
>
> Wild Card.

I would, but me's not a voter.

Sunflare

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:46:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: ACK Issue 1

   A c k a n o m i c   C y c l o p e d i a   o f   K n o w l e d g e

Vol. 1, Issue 1.                                            March 2, 1998

In this issue:
- - Find a GAMES T-Shirt!
- - Treasure Statistics
- - $500 in real treasure

Find a GAMES T-Shirt!
- ---------------------
Advertisement, from /dev/joe

Treasure 181, buried by /dev/joe in August, was never found while the
hidden contest then going on was active.  The April 1998 issue of GAMES,
as always for April issues, contains a hidden contest.  I have found
this contest, so it shouldn't be too tough for some of you out there.

Treasure Statistics
- -------------------
(Compiled from The Gingham Wearer's treasure pages by our statistician,
/dev/joe)

Found treasures, by player who found them:
/dev/joe (34) 101 103 107 109 110 112 113 114 116 120
              127 138 139 143 145 148 149 158 167 183
              189 190 190(another one with the same number?)
              (179, Guy Fawkes's sequence, should also be listed here)
Alfvaen (11) 106 118 141 142 150 151 153 173 176 184 188
Guy Fawkes (7) 105 111 140 156 160 161 162
breadbox (7) 115 119 132 136 146 180 182
two-star (5) 144 168 172 185 186
Habeous Corpus/Voting Gnome (3) 102 108 177
Malenkai (3) 124 130 134
Mohammed (3) 126 159 174
fnord (2) 123 125
Narf (1) 131
snowgod/Mr. Lunatic Fringe (1) 157
Bascule (1) 163

Null treasures (entire contents of treasure destroyed and/or transferred
out of the treasure by whatever means): 154 171

Lost treasures (buried by players who are gone, with no active map
custodian -- possibly still findable, if a player returns to the game),
listed by player who buried them:

snowgod/Mr. Lunatic Fringe 104 165
Jammer 117 129
Malenkai 122 135 166 194 
fnord 128
Ackers 133
Habeous Corpus 147

Still extant treasures, listed by who buried them:

Red Barn 121 152 191
Calvin N Hobbes 135
Alfvaen 155 169 197 200
two-star 170 178 193 
Karma 175
/dev/joe 181
Rex Mundi 189
The Gingham Wearer 195
K2 196
Slakko 198

Treasure hunters, let's find those treasures!

$500 in real treasure
- ---------------------
Submitted by contributing editor /dev/joe

Douglas Zare at Caltech is running an Internet mathematics contest, and
offering US$500 as first prize.  This is actually the third such contest
he has run, but I missed the earlier two.  As he writes on his web page,
the contest is open to "anyone without a degree in mathematics, computer
science, or a natural science at the Bachelor's (4 year) level or higher
... Further, those who do have such a degree but are under 21 years of age
as of January 1, 1998 are eligible to compete." Sorry to those of you who
this eliminates; I'm sure we have a few such people here.

In the newsgroup where I read about this contest, one reader responded
(paraphrased) "I don't know if I should take this [referring to the
restriction quoted above] as a slight or an opportunity to us engineers."
I thought more or less the same thing myself.  Zare responded that he
didn't think many engineers had enough background to have an unfair
advantage.  In any case, the full rules for the contest and a link to the
problems can be found at http://www.its.caltech.edu/~zare/contest.html .
I am giving it my best shot; so far, I've gotten way more of the problems
solved than I ever expected to.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:47:38 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

I support Balsamic Dragon's nomination to the hall of elders, if I can still
do so.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:04:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

I guess the thread's already been split, so why not?

I support Balsamic Dragon's nomination to the Hall of Elders.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:06:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malheureusement

> Unless, of course, mr cwm's day _is_ a Holiday, in which case
> there's still another day.  (Somebody clear this up, quick...or at
> least get the CFJ into the courts where it can wait for them to be
> fixed.)

To the best of my knowledge, Elder Holidays have never been treated as
Presidential Holidays. I think the wording of the rule, though
unfortunate, is ambiguous enough to permit this game custom to stand.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:17 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Crackfoo has found Phoebe's matchbox.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:31 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: More actions

> > I am taking possession of the little lamb.

> You thread splitter!  Now we have to determine whether or not the
> Ackanomic Holiday is a Holiday or not!

Well, we'll have to one day anyway.  It'd be nice to have a clearer court
system before we do that, though...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
"Do you want me to talk about the dramatic unities again?"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:33 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: EBS

> Ack, I don't think I can do this yet.

> I remove myself from vacation.

> I re-approve of this suggestion.  Therefore, it happens.

Actually, it happened when every non-vacationing, non-Gaoled member of
the Moral Kiosk approved it, which was when Rex Mundi did, because you
were on vacation.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
Do you see the noses growing?  Wonder where the truth is going.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:38 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Miscellania

> Okay, this should make it harder on you:  I change my name to Hibert,
> pending the Registrar's ack.

> soon to be rufus no more.

You do realize that he can go for "Hub*rt", or "Hu*ert", or "Hube*t", or
"Rymes With Q*bert"...:-)

But I will ack this anyway because I'm not Web-Harfer anymore and it's up
to Slakko whether e wants to update all the pages or not.  (/dev/joe never
bothered...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
I was afraid I'd drown in all that water under the bridge.  --Mayall

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:41 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Salaries

The following salaries were paid out at noon today:

+35 A$ Alfvaen: salary - speaker 35
+25 A$ breadbox: salary - promoter 25
+25 A$ Slakko: salary - web-harfer 25
+25 A$ breadbox: salary - tabulator 25
+25 A$ rufus: salary - count tabula 25
+25 A$ Alfvaen: salary - registrar 25
+25 A$ Alfvaen: salary - scorekeeper 25
+25 A$ Alfvaen: salary - financier 25
+25 A$ Vynd: salary - CSRR 25
+25 A$ breadbox: salary - postmaster 25
+25 A$ Slakko: salary - map-harfer 25
+25 A$ Alfvaen: salary - undead-harfer 25
+25 A$ rufus: salary - trinket-harfer 25
+1 autosculp The Gingham Wearer: salary - treasure-harfer
+25 A$ Slakko: salary - chess-umpire 25
+25 A$ breadbox: salary - rule-harfer 25

The Clerk of the Court office was vacant, so no salary was awarded.
In addition:

- -18 A$ Vynd: goose feed

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
"Wow!  My drumsticks went over Niagara Falls!"  --Bugs Potter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:30:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Fortnightly Dividends, March 2 1998

Score changes used for dividend calculation:
- --------------------------------------------
Alfvaen: 7
Bill the pirate king: 0
breadbox: 59
Calvin N Hobbes: 68
Crackfoo: 16
Device: 0
/dev/joe: 26
else...if: 27
Enigma: -4
Fortunato: 12
The Gingham Wearer: 2
Goldenmean: 11
Guy Fawkes: 52
Hachiman: 0
Hoover 2300: 0
Hubert: 40
Illusion: 38
K 2: 15
Karma: 0
Michael Wren: 0
Niccolo Flychuck: 21
Red Barn: 0
Rex Mundi: 32
Robert Sevin: 0
rufus: 27
Slakko: 65
ThinMan: 0
two-star: 11
Vynd: -13
Wild Card: 3
 
#award Alfvaen: 7 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award breadbox: 59 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Calvin N Hobbes: 68 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Crackfoo: 16 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award /dev/joe: 26 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award else...if: 27 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Enigma: -2 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Fortunato: 12 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award The Gingham Wearer: 2 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Goldenmean: 11 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Guy Fawkes: 52 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Hubert: 40 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Illusion: 38 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award K 2: 15 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Niccolo Flychuck: 21 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Rex Mundi: 32 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award rufus: 27 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Slakko: 65 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award two-star: 11 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Vynd: -7 A$ : dividend Mar 2
#award Wild Card: 3 A$ : dividend Mar 2

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Tug of War
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
The door marked "Exit" leads to destruction.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:38:13 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Holiday CFJ

If anyone else is working on this, let me know and I won't.  Otherwise, I
will when I get the time.  (So go ahead.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Police:Outlandos D'Amour
Current Book--Robin W. Bailey:Brothers of The Dragon
We had some good machines, but they don't work no more

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:23:46 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: DeeJay election

The nomination period for Office of Deejay has expired, in either thread.
The Nominees are 
Hubert
Alfvaen
The Gingham Wearer

Reply to vote; voting lasts three days

Hibert

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #45
******************************