Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #38
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Tuesday, February 24 1998      Volume 03 : Number 038

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:44:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Court System

I think another thing that might help Acka's legal system is to be able to
distinguish between a matter of law and a matter of fact.  

Matters of law (action x is illegal under rule 3) should be able to be
appealed as much as is necessary because they affect all future nomic play.

Matters of fact (player y committed the crime of x) should be judged once
and then let stand.

This is similar to our (U.S.'s) legal system.  Basically, the way it would
work is that the appellant would have to show in eir appeal that there
existed a question of law which, if decided differently, would change the
verdict.  If the appellant failed to do that, in the eyes of whatever body
ends up taking the appeal, they could refuse the appeal at all with a small
penalty to the appellant.  If they could demonstrate a valid point of law,
the verdict could be overturned with no penalty to the original judge (this
protects newbies and allows them to attempt to make fair judgements to gain
experience without risking a heavy penalty).  

In addition, the appellant could appeal and say that the original judge was
biased which could be based on a question of fact or law.  This appeal
would have to be heard by the appellate body (whatever that turns out to
be) but would carry with it a heavy penalty to the appellant if the verdict
is upheld and a heavy penalty to the original judge if it were overturned
(and maybe bumping them off the CFJ eligability list).

Comments?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:09:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Spiritual De-Pantsing

I am using my position as Beldin's Tailor to amend Beldin's Pants by
replacing the instance of the word "nomic" with the word "Goose".

Yours,
Slakko
Your tailor this week
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:04:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Stefanski)
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe

> >
> > 	"Don't be defeated just because nobody else is able to see what you see. 
> > Bring the truth to everyone else, so they may be enlighened.  They are too 
> > involved in the worship of the harf to see anything else.  You must show 
them 
> > the way."
> 
> Phoebe saying not to worship Harf!  I don't think so!
> I am challenging the authenticity of this message.  Phoebe would never say
> something so against the Ackan way of life.

	Aha!  I say this response is proof that Phoebe's statement is true!  Why 
would I make up something which would make everyone else turn against me?  I 
knew it was dangerous to share Phoebe's wisdom, but I had to do it.
	
	I beg everyone to take their time on voting on this hearing - don't make 
quick judgements just because you didn't like the wisdom.  It doesn't mean it's 
not true...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:28:22 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Out

else...if's Gaol sentence expired at 12:01 Ackatime today, so e's out.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Eurogliders:Heaven
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
If you ever run across an adult in my town, let me know!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:29:09 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Whether Illusion really posted Phoebe's wisdom or not, she has been
found by Slagothor.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Eurogliders:Heaven
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
'Drop the gun,' said Tom, with a disarming smile.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:03:59 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: B-Ack Random Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: The Gingham Wearer
# Date: February 24, 1998
# The abovementioned player is in the Wilds and posted a public message.
# There is a 40% chance at the B-Ack is on the trail of whoever it
# is, i.e. a value of 1 through 40.
# Veal Fan

No. of sides on every die:    100
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     43

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Feb 24 11:03:45 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id LAA06656 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:03:45 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-8.agt.net(198.161.157.74) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma006654; Tue Feb 24 11:03:38 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by edtntnt1-port-53.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id MAA05808 for [email-masked]; Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:04:44 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: B-Ack
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:04:42 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 100
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: B-Ack Random Determination
> 
> #C Player: The Gingham Wearer
> #C Date: February 24, 1998
> #C
> #C The abovementioned player is in the Wilds and posted a public message.
> #C
> #C There is a 40% chance at the B-Ack is on the trail of whoever it
> #C is, i.e. a value of 1 through 40.
> #C Veal Fan
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNPMZlz8NitsTFjcVAQHOBwP/YqDFdPFcvvlGvc6W6nwXhxlemSkJceg4
sCtzNxaZgs31HSKbBvJH254mqmGPvrxTM8/zpLfcO26SLq/fd/CwcBaNqQvm5pl6
SUrRZ7qr9ngs8k6FEeMcpRngfrvnITbMwmin7MoFomBsh7mE3SBIm3m+tXRUke0f
U8l8ejdyTds=
=Efgc
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:20:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Contempt

>else...if is placed in cell 17634.  It is chartreuse.
	I note that this time the jailers are NOT partying with me.
Apparently they were also fooled by Alvaen's propaganda.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:46:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Player Name Change

Since only Vynd and myself have fallen for Veal Fan's little Hubert
treasure trick so far, I thought I would help the Calf-Killing One out a
bit.

I change my Ackanomic name to the following double-quote-delimited string:
"Hubert".  If I cannot do this, I change my Ackanomic name to the
double-quote-delimited string "Hubert n", where n is the lowest
four-digit prime number which would make the name unique.

Upon the Registrar's acknowledgement of this name change, I will pay the
standard Harfer Fee as required in Rule 251.

Rule 251 also states, "All official nomic business shall use this name
[the player's name] to refer to that player."  Amen.

Let the nickname-fest begin; it will avail you not.

- -Hubert

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose. 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:42:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Court System

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Vivian Norwood wrote:

> I think another thing that might help Acka's legal system is to be able to
> distinguish between a matter of law and a matter of fact.  
> 
> Matters of law (action x is illegal under rule 3) should be able to be
> appealed as much as is necessary because they affect all future nomic play.
> 
> Matters of fact (player y committed the crime of x) should be judged once
> and then let stand.
> 
> Comments?

In nomic the law determines the fact as often as not.  Separating the two
is much, much more difficult than in real life from my POV.  If it were
possible to make a clear distinction then I would be happy with such a set
up, but I think that the logistics are far too complex for us to actually
get such a division working.  At least at this stage.

Yours,
Slakko
from a country where appeals don't seem to be as drawn out as in the US
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:43:25 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Player Name Change

>Since only Vynd and myself have fallen for Veal Fan's little Hubert
>treasure trick so far, I thought I would help the Calf-Killing One out a
>bit.

I like veal so much...my calves are killing me!  <sh-boom>

>I change my Ackanomic name to the following double-quote-delimited string:
>"Hubert".  If I cannot do this, I change my Ackanomic name to the
>double-quote-delimited string "Hubert n", where n is the lowest
>four-digit prime number which would make the name unique.

>Upon the Registrar's acknowledgement of this name change, I will pay the
>standard Harfer Fee as required in Rule 251.

I ack this.  I think that "Hubert" is untaken, so I believe the first
action succeeds.

>Rule 251 also states, "All official nomic business shall use this name
>[the player's name] to refer to that player."  Amen.

>Let the nickname-fest begin; it will avail you not.

Mucho gracias.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Song--Python Lee Jackson:In A Broken Dream
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
You can't hang people before you've caught them.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:38:48 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: nomination for NAP swinger

The Non-aligned party swinger office is now vacant.  I am accepting
nominations.  To nominate yourself, you need to not be in a Party.  Or
rather, you need to be not in a party, since you cannot not be.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping* (late) and *ping*

I apologize for the delay, but I should have mentioned on Sunday:

Today is Sunday, the 22th day of February, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 6 times.

Twentytooth?

Anyway, for today:

Today is Tuesday, the 24th day of February, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* se7en times.

**two-star

Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:53:59 -0500 (EST)
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Magic letter of *ping*

There is no "w" in the Truth of the Machine.

The Truth remains: IF AND ONLY IF today *** *** ** ****** ** *** ******
************* ******** ** ****, THEN the machine that goes *ping*, shall
go *ping*.

**two-star

**scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #38
******************************