Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #36
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Monday, February 23 1998       Volume 03 : Number 036

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:41:58 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Results of Bracket/Smiley Pedantry Hearing 102

> The Gingham Wearer is publicly tarred and feathered, and is sent to the
> Wilds of Ackanomic for a minimum period of 3 days.  Also, e shall lose 5
> points.

> 18:35 EST 22 Feb: Gingham Wearer: -5: Bracket/Smiley Pedantry 102

> E is now said to have Learned Eir Lesson.

So, should I put "tarred and feathered" on the PE page as one of TGW's
attributes, or not?  :-)  (I think it should be sort of like Burned As
A Witch, personally...)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Christians
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
I don't know what kind of medicine is inside this melon.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:44:51 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Impeachment process (was RE: Contempt)

> > I urge you all to vote YES on the IP!  (In case anybody is waiting for
> > Count Tabula to start the voting, all e has to do is tabulate the public
> > votes that can be made after the IP is posted...)

> Look at Rule 404 again.  An IP is not explicitly a hearing, so I don't
> think I have to do this.  Presumably the Speaker has to annouce things,
> but since the voting is done in the public forum, as soon as the voting is
> over, the results are publicly knowable.  I think the intent of this was
> to keep some evil officer from sitting on their office.

Actually, I was looking at Rule 408, which still says that Count Tabula
has to take care of IP's, but all this will mean is that you can announce
the results once the IP's voting period has ended.  It's not a duty that
no other Officer is responsible for, so the Speaker doesn't have to do
it.  :-)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dave Stewart & The Spiritual Cowboys
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
If man had been meant to fly, he would have invented airplanes.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:47:36 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Contempt

>I urge you all to vote YES on the IP!  (In case anybody is waiting for
>Count Tabula to start the voting, all e has to do is tabulate the public
>votes that can be made after the IP is posted...)

I vote Yes on the IP against else...if

:)

K2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:47:40 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

>I guess that the treasure is something of an anti- situation.
>
I wonder if those asterisks in, Slakko's message, represent an unambiguous
spelling error of the word in Veal Fan's Treasure map, which when 'said' by
all but one player will cause that player to fine the treasure?

:)

K2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:54:26 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Next Off

Okay, now here's the test to see whether anyone else is willing to take
this on:

I am announcing my intention to resign as Web-Harfer.  A Nomination will
thus start pretty soon.  I _will_ volunteer for this one, but if anyone
else feels e would be better suited to the job, go for it.  :-)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dave Stewart & The Spiritual Cowboys
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
I envy those who are in denial.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 01:38:03 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka: new trinket 

David Scheidt wrote:
> 
> I have put up a new trinket-harfer page at
> < http://www.enteract.com/~dscheidt/acka/trinket.html >.  I expect that
> TPFKAA's page will disappear RSN, and certainly will not be kept up to
> date.
> 
Value A$5
The Lucky Bucket Of Sand
Anybody who possess it
can be sand people
they can live in the sand land go to the sand man and ask for a
sandwitch from Mrs Sand.
They can live the truth about sand see that sand is sand and then  a
little timer that is exactly to the point ends its sand trip and ewe
return to Normal behaviour and go about your business , felling the way
you usually do ; and continue to have lucky peanut tossings at you
because you are so damn lucky.

"Somebody peed in my soup."

- -Hoover 2300
________________________________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 01:57:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Functional Office Freedom II

Nominations are now being called for the position of Web-Harfer.
Reply to me if you are interested.

Yours,
Slakko
President

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 02:00:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, K2 wrote:

> >I guess that the treasure is something of an anti- situation.
> >
> I wonder if those asterisks in, Slakko's message, represent an unambiguous
> spelling error of the word in Veal Fan's Treasure map, which when 'said' by
> all but one player will cause that player to fine the treasure?

Wouldn't matter if it did.  The Treasure map says I have to say that
particular word.  It says nothing about _meaning_ that particular word,
which is all that a misspelling can do according to Rule 340 (since I last
amended it).

Ha.
:-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:43:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 540 (TRUE)

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 540 - February 20, 1998
Subject: Treasury Cards
Initiator: Veal Fan  (sent February 18, 1998, 6:43 p.m.)
Judge: The Gingham Wearer  (selected February 20, 1998, 8:45 a.m.)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

At noon on February 17, 1998 there was a Scientist For A Day Otzma Card
in the Treasury.

Veal Fan's Reasoning:

The following facts are not in dispute:  February 15, 1998 was an Otzma
Day, and Slakko, as RuneMaker, created, among other cards, a Scientist
For A Day Otzma Card.  E then called an Auction for that card, among
others.

What is in dispute is the ownership of said card between the time of its
creation and the completion of the Auction.  There are two plausible
alternatives: that Slakko owned it, and that it was unowned.

If Slakko owned it, then e owned all of the Otzma Cards that had been
created on February 15, which numbered...well, more than ten, since I'm
too lazy to check the exact number.  But by Rule 1240.1:

   2. Any single player may not own more than six Otzma Cards
   simultaneously.

Nowhere else in the Rule does it claim that this does not apply to
the RuneMaker.  So now the two alternatives boil down to this:  Either
Slakko failed to create more than six Otzma Cards on this Otzma Day(and
not even that, since e owned some Otzma Cards emself before creating
them), or the Otzma Cards were unowned.

Rule 505 states that "The Treasury...serves as a storing house for
entities that belong to no Player, except for those entities which the
rules explicitly state are not in (or considered to be in) the
Treasury".  Rule 1240.1 says nothing about the Otzma Cards up for
Auction not being in the Treasury, either.

(This was not troublesome until first Auction Them Entities allowed
entities in the Treasury to be Auctioned, and then Slakko amended
Rule 1240.1 to allow Otzma Cards in the Treasury to be bought for A$10
each.  Now, unless this is fixed one way or the other, future Otzma
Day auctions will turn into Hubert situations.)

While I'm at it, there is a similar question as to the ownership of
Gadgets created by Scientists while they are being Auctioned.  Of
course, since all that can be done with a Gadget in the Treasury is
to ask the Financier to auction it, this won't be similarly problematic
in that case, but what if a Scientist owns the Gadget while the Auction
goes on, and can use it with impunity?  Like a Spell Book of Chorg, or
a Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really, or a Scroll
of Crumble?  This is a loophole waiting to be surfed.

So does game tradition consider an object to come into the possession of
its owner when it is created?  Rule 500.2 specifically says:

   When an ownable entity is created, it is unowned, unless the Rules
   specify an initial owner for it.

The Trinket rule specifies that the creator of the Trinket is its
initial owner.  The Otzma Card Rule Suite is silent on the initial
ownership of Otzma Cards.  (Rule 595 also does not specify the Scientist
who creates a Gadget as its initial owner.)

Therefore Otzma Cards(and Gadgets)that are being auctioned just after
creation are in the Treasury.  (Had I had better timing, I could've
bought the entire recent Otzma Day auction for a song.  Pretty close
to what was paid for a single Art Thief card.  Ah, well...)

Judge's Reasoning:

Basically I agree with the initiator's reasoning. 

Looking at rule 1240 I notice that there is no mention of who, if anyone,
owns the otzma cards created in an otzma day. Therefore, by rule 500.2 it
must be unowned, as pointed out by Veal Fan. It is an entity, it is not
owned by a player and it is not explicitly stated that it is not in the
treasury. Therefore it must be in the treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 541 (FALSE)

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 541 - February 20, 1998
Subject: Praetor Deadbeat
Initiator: Balsamic Dragon  (sent February 20, 1998, 9:36 p.m.)
Judge: The Gingham Wearer  (selected February 20, 1998, 9:45 a.m.)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

The office of Praetor is vacant.

Balsamic Dragon s Reasoning:

On February 2, as Clerk of the Court, I assigned CFJ 528 to rufus.  
On February 2, rufus accepted this CFJ.
On February 9, Malenkai, the current Praetor, went on vacation.
On February 10, Alfvaen appointed Calvin n Hobbes as Acting Praetor.
(footnote 1)
On February 11, I declared rufus to be a deadbeat, and reassigned CFJ 528
to the Praetor. (footnote 2)
It is now February 20.

From the Rule defining the Office of the Praetor:

IV. The Praetor may not decline Judgment. When a CFJ is submitted to him,
he is assumed to have immediately accepted it. He may send a CFJ to the
Supreme Court, and if e does this, he is not required to deliver a verdict.

V. The Praetor is forbidden to take any action or inaction which would
cause him to be a deadbeat. If he is ever a deadbeat, he is immediately
removed from office, and the seat is vacant. 

From the Rule concerning Acting Officers: 

The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player serves in an Office
in an "Acting" capacity. In such a case, the Player is responsible for
performing all of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges of the
Office, except for Privileges which are also explicitly defined to be
Duties by the rules, or Privileges required to perform explicitly defined
Duties, or Privileges of the office when the Acting officer is filling in
for a vacationing player.

Therefor, if there was a Praetor on February 18, e was removed from office
and the seat became vacant.

footnote 1: 	What Alfvaen said was  If e approves, I appoint Calvin N
Hobbes to be Acting Praetor 		again until Malenkai returns. 

footnote 2:  	What I said was  As rufus has not yet returned a verdict,
this goes to the acting Praetor
		who is, I believe, Calvin n Hobbes. 

Judges Reasoning 

As Balsamic Dragon pointed out, Alfvaen (as was) wrote:
"If e approves, I appoint Calvin N Hobbes to be Acting Praetor again
until Malenkai returns."

I am unable to find any acceptance message from Calvin n Hobbes so I can
only assume that e did not become acting Praetor on this occasion.

From rule 425 (Praetor)
"I. The Office of the Praetor is a Political Office. To be eligible for
the office, a player must be active and one or more of the following: 

a) a Bronze Torch holder 
b) the owner of a Gold Stripe or Ruby Slipper 
c) a former Supreme Court Justice 
d) enshrined in the Hall of Elders 

Regardless of any other eligibility, a current Justice or Acting Justice
is never eligible."

This would therefore suggest to me that when Malenkai went on vacation e
was no longer eligible to hold the position of Praetor (e wasn't active).
What does this mean in practical terms?

From rule 402 I get the impression that eligibility is only a matter when
nominations are being conducted for an office. No rule specifies that a
player ineligible for an office should be removed from an office so it is
reasonable, if perhaps slightly counter-intuitive, to assume that
Malenkai remained in the office of praetor when e went on vacation.

From rule 255 (Vacationing)

"The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by the
Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker, unless some other rule
provides for an Acting Officer or some other assignment (including
possible non-assignment) of these duties (or the office). The person
assuming the duties of these offices is said to be assuming them in an
acting capacity, and as such, these appointments or assumption must be
made in accordance with R 401, section (i). It is permissible for an
acting officer, appointed by this clause, to assume the duties of another
acting officer."

Since no-one else was appointed by the speaker to perform the duties of
Praetor the speaker, i.e., Alfvaen/Veal Fan, had to fulfill the duty.

Section (iv) of rule 401 reads:

"The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player serves in an
Office in an "Acting" capacity. In such a case, the Player is responsible
for performing all of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges
of the Office, except for Privileges which are also explicitly defined to
be Duties by the rules, or Privileges required to perform explicitly
defined Duties, or Privileges of the office when the Acting officer is
filling in for a vacationing player. A Capital Office is never filled in
an Acting capacity, except as described in rule 404. Non-voting players
may only be acting officers for offices which may normally be held by
non-voting players. An entity never holds a particular seat in both an
Acting capacity and a "normal" capacity. If this ever appears to be the
case, it is assumed that they are holding the office in an Acting
capacity only."

Again from rule 425:

"V. The Praetor is forbidden to take any action or inaction which would
cause him to be a deadbeat. If he is ever a deadbeat, he is immediately
removed from office, and the seat is vacant."

I agree with Balsamic Dragon that if there was a praetor or acting
praetor at the relevant time then e was deadbeat and the Praetor is
removed from office. The only logical interpretation is that the Praetor
would be removed. It would not be possible to remove the Speaker from
performing the task in an acting capacity, since e does it by default,
and would immediately be returned to being required to perform the duties
of the office.

Alfvaen/Veal Fan was the one who was deadbeat. The question is, "Was e
acting Praetor at the time e was deadbeat?"

Note back up in the rule for vacationing:

"The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by the
Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker, unless some other rule
provides for an Acting Officer or some other assignment..."

The way I interpret this is that when the Speaker is performing the
duties of a vacationing officer, e is not doing so in an acting capacity.
If the rule had said "provide for a different acting officer", or
something similar then I would have interpreted this differently.

So, Alfvaen/Veal Fan was deadbeat, but e was not acting Praetor at the
time. Therefore the Praetor was not removed from office.

I also notice that Malenkai was not deadbeat on this. The rule says the
Praetor will be removed from office if *e* is deadbeat, not if the person
performing the duties of the Praetor is deadbeat.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing else has happened to remove Malenkai
from the office of Praetor. Therefore e is still Praetor. Therefore the
office of Praetor is not vacant. Therefore I rule FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:08:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: SBoC

I read the next page of my Spell Book of Chorg. It disappears in a miniature
version of the explosion of the Death Star (the first one).

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:46:47 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 542 (Slagothor)

Slagothor has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 542 - February 23, 1998
Subject: Museum Entities
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer  (sent February 20, 1998, 10:57 a.m.)
Judge: Slagothor  (selected February 23, 1998, 11:45 a.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:
All entities in the museum are also in the treasury.

Reasoning:
I only spotted this when I was judging CFJ 540 and was considering
pointing this out in my reasoning. Eventually I decided the two cases
were sufficiently different to warrant two separate CFJs however.

Rule 505 states:

"The Treasury is a named, unownable entity that serves as a storing house
for entities that belong to no Player, except for those entities for
which the rules explicitly state are not in (or considered to be in) the
Treasury."

Entities in the museum do not belong to any player, nor does the rule for
the museum explicitly state that entities in the museum are *not* in the
treasury. Therefore I can only presume that they must be in the treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:47:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 543 (Balsamic Dragon)

Balsamic Dragon has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 543 - February 23, 1998
Subject: Blackness
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer  (sent February 20, 1998, 10:57 a.m.)
Judge: Balsamic Dragon  (selected February 23, 1998, 11:45 a.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:
Black is not a colour.

Reasoning:
Following Guy Fawke's recent butt-head CFJ and the recent goings-on on
the internomic mailing list I thought I'd see what a judge would make of
this one. Personally, I say that it isn't, but that isn't really what's
relevant. What is is the manner in which this CFJ is treated.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:49:22 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 541 (FALSE)

> Since no-one else was appointed by the speaker to perform the duties of
> Praetor the speaker, i.e., Alfvaen/Veal Fan, had to fulfill the duty.

Oops.

> Alfvaen/Veal Fan was the one who was deadbeat. The question is, "Was e
> acting Praetor at the time e was deadbeat?"

I remove myself from the CFJ Ineligibility List, if I am thereon.

So, since I deadbeated on this one, does it go, once again, to the Praetor?
The real one this time?

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Mick Jagger:Let's Work
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
Tell me, oh Buddha, how much do you weigh, and what's your favourite colour?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:51:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: senate election results

Congratulations CnH!

(ps, I was going to vote for you, really I was, but I didn't realize the
election was so short!)

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: senate election results
> Date: Sunday, February 22, 1998 5:19 PM
> 
> I would like to thank all who cast their ballot and express my gratitude
to
> my supporters. I'd like to think anyone in Ackanomic will feel free to
email
> me if I can further their goals in any way. Please do so.
> 
> Thank you,
> CnH
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:59:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 542 (Slagothor)

> Statement:
> All entities in the museum are also in the treasury.

> Reasoning:
> I only spotted this when I was judging CFJ 540 and was considering
> pointing this out in my reasoning. Eventually I decided the two cases
> were sufficiently different to warrant two separate CFJs however.

> Rule 505 states:

> "The Treasury is a named, unownable entity that serves as a storing house
> for entities that belong to no Player, except for those entities for
> which the rules explicitly state are not in (or considered to be in) the
> Treasury."

> Entities in the museum do not belong to any player, nor does the rule for
> the museum explicitly state that entities in the museum are *not* in the
> treasury. Therefore I can only presume that they must be in the treasury.

Actually, the last sentence of section III. of Rule 850 does say "Items
on display in the Museum are not considered in the Treasury".  Which I'm
sure we can consider to mean the same as "are not considered to be in the
Treasury", with a slightly different phrasing.  This satisfies the
condition of Rule 505, I believe.

Whether this means that they actually _are_ in the Treasury but are not
considered to be so, I don't know.  But the fact remains that whether they
are or not, if they are not _considered_ to be in the Treasury, then the
Rules cannot treat them as if they are.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Mick Jagger:Let's Work
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
I went into a general store, and they wouldn't sell me anything specific.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:00:08 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: SBoC Random OC determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Rex Mundi
# I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
# delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
# schedule:
# 1 - go fish
# 2 - map shard
# 3 - summon tornado
# 4 - untouch me
# 5 - share my expenses
# 6 - share my income
# 7 - tactical retreat
# 8 - paratroop
# 9 - truthseeker
# 10 - fix my gadget
# 11 - scientist for a day
# 12 - art thief
# 13 - skeleton key
# 14 - grave robber
# No swinging sale(max in play)
# No foul fowl(max in play)

No. of sides on every die:     14
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      7

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Feb 23 08:59:59 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id IAA21634 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:59:59 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-85.agt.net(204.209.198.78) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma021632; Mon Feb 23 08:59:56 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by concordia.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id KAA00656 for [email-masked]; Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:01:08 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Chorg
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:01:07 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 14
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: SBoC Random OC determination
> 
> #C Player: Rex Mundi
> #C I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> #C delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
> #C schedule:
> #C 1 - go fish
> #C 2 - map shard
> #C 3 - summon tornado
> #C 4 - untouch me
> #C 5 - share my expenses
> #C 6 - share my income
> #C 7 - tactical retreat
> #C 8 - paratroop
> #C 9 - truthseeker
> #C 10 - fix my gadget
> #C 11 - scientist for a day
> #C 12 - art thief
> #C 13 - skeleton key
> #C 14 - grave robber
> #C No swinging sale(max in play)
> #C No foul fowl(max in play)
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNPGrFD8NitsTFjcVAQFVrAP/WfY3f4Gv4zD2imZpLPCDFgf6KmtDqTWR
vox0pF8Yr1iiWefVVDsBySWU3AZbG26VDafO0L/FSrXeE1+5O2FVX9a+DPfdh5Aj
QWUyrX+PyN66yqOT2vJdmiHrLb1YMiEBBVNA8N8/q/QgXRr2aR2p7bz/sDz8cImg
EQ9iJ3e44KQ=
=vGYc
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:01:01 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

Slakko has found the Magic Potato this week.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Mick Jagger:Let's Work
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
Drink and cook the prodigal son, fondue forks for everybody!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:05:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Sigh

Once again, disregard the Random Dice Server thing that's about to show
up, because of course Rex Mundi is on Page 5 of eir Book of Chorg, and
thus should get a random Gadget instead.  We apologize for the
inconvenience.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Mick Jagger:Let's Work
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
A lack of leadership is no substitute for inaction.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:07:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Slakko has found the Magic Potato this week.

Hurrah! (Finally, the right to amend Beldin's Pants  ahahahahahaha).

Yours,
Slakko
busily reharfing
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:08:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 541 (FALSE)

>> Since no-one else was appointed by the speaker to perform the duties of
>> Praetor the speaker, i.e., Alfvaen/Veal Fan, had to fulfill the duty.
> 
> Oops.
> 
>> Alfvaen/Veal Fan was the one who was deadbeat. The question is, "Was e
>> acting Praetor at the time e was deadbeat?"
> 
> I remove myself from the CFJ Ineligibility List, if I am thereon.
> 
> So, since I deadbeated on this one, does it go, once again, to the Praetor?
> The real one this time?

I believe that it actually does, since you are no longer acting
Praetor. If you were, I believe it would have to go to a randomly
selected judge.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:10:40 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Gadget determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Rex Mundi
# I am using the dice server to determine a Gadget
# based on the following:
# 1) Scroll of Crumble
# 2) Blue Thing
# 3) Whamiol
# 4) Vending Machine
# 5) Automatic Scuplture
# 6) Grav. Monopole
# 7) Evil Ballot Stuffer
# 8) JMCL
# 9) PMW
# 10) BV add on
# 11) Gimme Shelter
# 12) Oscar
# 13) Cheez-Whiz (lol)
# 14) Pulse Laser
# 15) Silver Spaceship
# 16) BWG Laser (rotfl)
# 17) Butler
# 18) Pyraic Frobnotzer
# 19) BWG Laser Shotgun Attachment
# Note that this gadget will disappear after three days.  (How long
# has _that_ been there?)
# Veal Fan

No. of sides on every die:     19
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     10

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Feb 23 09:10:21 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id JAA21948 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:10:21 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-85.agt.net(204.209.198.78) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma021943; Mon Feb 23 09:10:13 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by concordia.telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id KAA00744 for [email-masked]; Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:11:22 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Chorg 2
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:11:21 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 19
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Gadget determination
> 
> #C Player: Rex Mundi
> #C I am using the dice server to determine a Gadget
> #C based on the following:
> #C 1) Scroll of Crumble
> #C 2) Blue Thing
> #C 3) Whamiol
> #C 4) Vending Machine
> #C 5) Automatic Scuplture
> #C 6) Grav. Monopole
> #C 7) Evil Ballot Stuffer
> #C 8) JMCL
> #C 9) PMW
> #C 10) BV add on
> #C 11) Gimme Shelter
> #C 12) Oscar
> #C 13) Cheez-Whiz (lol)
> #C 14) Pulse Laser
> #C 15) Silver Spaceship
> #C 16) BWG Laser (rotfl)
> #C 17) Butler
> #C 18) Pyraic Frobnotzer
> #C 19) BWG Laser Shotgun Attachment
> #C
> #C Note that this gadget will disappear after three days.  (How long
> #C has _that_ been there?)
> #C
> #C Veal Fan
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNPGtiz8NitsTFjcVAQH17gP/REmbnSgcDWeKYqNyoc3OAqSGEUyyxJ1o
3Jj4DFizHxOIg4QBv7nm59emYfd8AJb6QdGpu7Up6wRsd2AetdS+ujj7u6Uhfr7g
4UWZh+paupu8SNGNVLltLpxuKJ/WArXUXsYb4tEvj9RkSWovwJ6V/4bdmc+O82r1
yXYvYt7I9Z4=
=hozW
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:25:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harf Attack

I have just harfed up a new revamped Web-Harfer style home page, at 
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/index.html

It is probably still a bit flaky right now, and the pages have by no means
all been converted to my new format properly.  That's an ongoing gradual
process.

The main page has been split into 6 subpages, but there is also a page
where all the information is available (looking remarkably like Alfvaen's
page, but with a different background).

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:52:32 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Results of bracket pedantry hearing 101

The result was "It seemed perfectly correct to me."

Votes were as follows:

It was obviously in violation
TGW

It seemed perfectly correct to me.
Wild Card
Rex Mundi
Slakko

Those were the only votes cast.

I believe that this means the following:
I am no longer said to have learned my lesson
Slakko is allowed to mock me with immunity from the politeness moon
I lose two points.

Although I'm not certain.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:52:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lamb

I am once again paying A$10 and taking possession of the little lamb.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:52:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IP

It's unlikely to make a difference, but I vote against else...if's
impeachment from the office of Caped Crusader.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:00:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results of bracket pedantry hearing 101

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Those were the only votes cast.
> 
> I believe that this means the following:
> I am no longer said to have learned my lesson
> Slakko is allowed to mock me with immunity from the politeness moon
> I lose two points.

Ha! Your ignorance of the Ancients is truly immense!  Be off to the Wilds,
you poor excuse for a smiley-maker.  Mr So called wearer-of-Gingham and
your silly penguin puppet too.  Can you not recognise a true smiley when
you see one?  I laugh in your general direction.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "Mynot Phonty's Bongosok" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:11:22 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Lamb

I don't believe you can do that, because of my mistake.  CnH just got
the lamb.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Tom Walmsley [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Monday, February 23, 1998 11:53 AM
>To:	Acka
>Subject:	Acka: Lamb
>
>I am once again paying A$10 and taking possession of the little lamb.
>
>TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:27:51 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: BPH results

In the Bracket Pedantry Hearing on Slagothor, the voting was 4-0 in favour
of "It was obviously in violation!" (assuming I was Grand High Pedant in
Chief)

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:35:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Lamb

>I don't believe you can do that, because of my mistake.  CnH just got
>the lamb.

And CnH pays A$10 to get a wool sweater.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:44:23 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Stefanski)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

	I sat down on the front porch of my humble little abode, enjoying the nice warm weather, and cool breeze.  I took a glimpse toward the source of 
light, illuminating this nice day.  The spotlight seems bright today - and with 
this thought, I became depressed again.  I must have been wrong.  How could I 
have truly believed such a silly thing!  And worst of all, all the others found 
out about this silly belief.  What a...
	
	All of a sudden, I heard some strange growlings and yelpings.  I quickly 
looked away from the light, and in the direction of the noises.  Staring up at 
the light made it harder to see - I couldn't clearly make out the source of the 
noise.  All I could see were two dark forms, racing by on all fours.  
	
	Right in front of me, about 5 cat lengths away, the second caught up to 
the first.  The noise got really intense, and the form bounced around all over 
the place.  I grabbed a rock, making sure there wasn't a string wound around it, 
and hurled it at the forms best I could.
	
	I heard the thwack when it hit something, a small yowl, a noise of 
something falling, and the two forms left in different directions.
	
	I sat a few more minutes, as my vision cleared.  When I could finally 
see well again, I walked up to where the conflict occured.  The only sign 
something had happened was this worn blue and red matchbox. 
	
	When I slid it open, I immediately heard a "Thank You!".  The only thing 
in the box was a small metallic flea.
	
	"Thank you very much!  I've been bouncing around in this box for I don't 
know how long.  That creature should be bouced like that for a while itself, so 
it knows what it's like!"
	
	"How about if I put some padding in your matchbox for you?", I replied.  
"Just in case something like this happens again?"
	
	"That would be wonderful," replied the flea.  "By the way, I'm known as 
Phoebe.  And it wasn't luck that brought me here."
	
	"Oh really, Phoebe?", I answered.  "You mean to tell me that you made 
sure I managed to find you?", I said, as I sat the box down on a counter inside 
my home.
	
	She jumped out of the box and onto the counter.  "Actually, I had no 
control over it myself.  But I can tell you it wasn't just chance.  There is 
another reason.  And I'm sure that I can give you a little bit of wisdom to help 
you out in your situation."
	
	I glued some cotton to the inside of her box.  "Here - this should make 
things a lot softer, and more comfortable.  And what do you know of my current 
situation?", I said with a touch of sarcasm.
	
	"Thank you, that will do nicely.  Trust me - the ones that created me 
made sure I will end up with the person that needs me most.  But don't ask why 
or how, for that I cannot say."
	
	"Will not, or can not?"

	"Stop worrying about the details, and listen to me.  I'll only say this 
once.  But you must share this with others - being selfish makes the wisdom 
useless, and maybe even dangerous.  Do you understand?"
	
	"Yes, I understand."
	
	With that, she uttered a statement to me which would bring everything 
into place...
	
	"Don't be defeated just because nobody else is able to see what you see. 
Bring the truth to everyone else, so they may be enlighened.  They are too 
involved in the worship of the harf to see anything else.  You must show them 
the way."
	
	Right after she finished her words, a squeal of delight came from the 
flea.  "Wow!  I haven't said anything that deep in a long time!  I feel really 
good!"  I could almost feel the excitement coming from her.  "Go outside, and 
spread the truth!"
	
	The excitement had obviously hit me, also, as I spend the next few hours 
running around, trying to help everyone I could find.  Unfortunately, I still 
didn't get anywhere.  
	
	I wasn't until I got back home that I realized I forgot all about Phoebe 
in the excitment, and left her sitting on the counter.  However, I wasn't at all 
suprised when the counter was bare.  Phoebe, and her newly padded matchbox were 
gone.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:26:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: All About Harf

First of all, a comment:

> Proposal 2738
> Don't punish the harfy
> The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

While I appreciate the sentiment here, I'm afraid I will have to vote
against it. Where is the value in getting a harfy proposal passed if
there is no risk involved?

Also, harfy proposals are more often the dangerous proposals with
unforeseen loopholes. The stakes for them really should be higher.

Secondly, a public action:

Since I may not be the Harfmeister for very much longer, I'm acting
now and declaring Proposal 2734 to be harfy. I hope and pray that it
doesn't pass, because if it does I have no idea what it's effect will
truly be, other than to generate a pile of very difficult CFJs just
begging to be appealed. But the real reason I am judging it harfy is
for its very cool reference to snowgod's first proposal.

And finally, speaking of being the Harfmeister, why the world did that
proposal make it in? Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad it passed. I
just don't know why anyone but me voted for it!

breadbox
Harfmeister

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #36
******************************