Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #34
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, February 21 1998      Volume 03 : Number 034

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 02:53:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Timeliness

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> > I just want the Winning Condition to be possible for Agenda Hats.  Nothing
> > seems to have happened, and there's no reason why it shouldn't have as far
> > as I can see.
> 
> I was considering doing something like this myself. However, we are 
> still not sure that you won by agenda (the second appeal is still 
> with the supreme court) so I decided not to. That is the only 
> reasonable reason I can think of as to why e hasn't got them out yet.

Like I said, the only way I could have _not_ won by Agenda Hats is if the
SC overturns its original definition of attributes.  I have still won,
just on a different date, if they overturn on the basis of my public
action question - because I submitted another message after Rule 340 was
changed.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:10:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Timeliness

> Like I said, the only way I could have _not_ won by Agenda Hats is if the
> SC overturns its original definition of attributes.  I have still won,
> just on a different date,

Hmm, didn't you get the Chartreuse Goose somewhere along the line?
Depending on when, that could be another way.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:58:11 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Contempt

Since I have seen no message from else...if indicating that e has paid
eir Contempt fine, e goes to Gaol for three days.

I urge you all to vote YES on the IP!  (In case anybody is waiting for
Count Tabula to start the voting, all e has to do is tabulate the public
votes that can be made after the IP is posted...)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Julia Fordham:Porcelain
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
What's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:58:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Goldenmean did not post what Phoebe said.  Her matchbox has been found
by Illusion.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Julia Fordham:Porcelain
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
"Do I have to hit you with my neutron spectrometer?"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:00:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oars

Veal Fan(that's me)has found the Great Oars of Ackanomic.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Julia Fordham:Porcelain
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
Jeb quickly drove a few extra miles on the glazed pavement.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:08:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 11

Volume 1, Issue 11
February 21, 1998
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Poll Question #3
3. More Ackanomic News
4. Special Report: Proposal Time Periods
5. Sub-Game Steak
6. Advertisement
 
Editorial
And this week the watchword has been "wait".  It has been another seven
days of slowness in Acka.  The game seems to have been put slightly on
hold, with the Supreme Court still holding two win attempts in its
decision-making process.  However, that is not to say that everything has
stopped, not by any means.  Two new Ackazens have joined us, swelling our
numbers yet again.  We here at the Ackan hope that Enigma and Wild Card
find their feet and enjoy the time they spend with us here in Acka.  We
think it's a great place, but if you don't, tell us how we can change. :-)
The queue remains frobbed, and proposals are at a bit of a low point as a
result.  The Ackan hopes that the proposal bot is under construction as we
speak - it would no doubt make the Promoter's life a lot easier, and would
probably allow breadbox to loosen the screws on the proposal queue for a
while (at least).
And now a message from the Editor, Advertising: If there is any way that
the staff here at the Infrequent Ackan can make this newspaper better for
you, the reader, please tell us. This paper always aims to provide Ackans
with a comprehensive news and opinions service, so if you want your
opinions heard, or your letters published, please send them to
[email-masked].  Last week we didn't receive any advice, or opinions.  If
you want, send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above,
marked "Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.
Have another good Ackan week - hopefully I'll see you again next Saturday.
 
Poll Question
Another Poll Question to tantalise Acka.  This week the Question is:
2. What do you think of the proposed modifications to the Web-Harfer Front
Page?
(a) I hate it - stop meddling in the affairs of the Web-Harfer because you
obviously have no taste.
(b) I couldn't possibly care less - don't take up my time with this
non-issue.
(c) I like it - it improves the ease of access to information, and the
presentation.
As is usual a Trinket of value at least A$5 is up for grabs, the recipient
to be selected at random from our responses (provided we get some).
Remember, it costs very little of your time to enter, and you could win
something.  /dev/joe already has in the Great Ackan Poll Question
Competition!

More Ackanomic News
This week Veal Fan, the Registrar, officiated at another Ackan Citizenship
Ceremony.  Enigma and Wild Card were sworn in as new citizens of the Acka
community.  Afterwards they were each presented with a Cheque for A$900,
drawn on the First National Bank of Ackanomia, and the title deed to their
own kaa of land each, with a pre-built house prepared for them.
Although this was not a particularly momentous event in terms of Acka's
whole history (after all, there have been dozens of such citizenship
ceremonies in the past), Nostrachaos knocked on our door this morning with
another passage from the Codex of Haon, referring to this week:
When the Joker arrives and the Jester is found
And a trio of pointed ears all gone to ground
Then colours will drain from out of the sky
And touring grand baubles will dazzle the eye.
In Duel news, the four-player Spades Duel continues, with the first hand
nearly completed.  Time is ticking away for both sides to reach their
trick targets.  Can both sides make it, or will one be forced back?  Tune
in to the Games Channel, 24 hours a Day, to find out.

Special Report: Proposal Time Periods
Ackanomic life has always been fast paced, and nowhere is that more
evident than in the Legislature.  To this end, we at the Ackan have
prepared a comparison of the time periods needed to shunt 100 proposals
(or attempts thereat) through the queue.  Okay, so it is a mite
statistical, but the Ackan has been starved for special stories lately,
and it might help to compare current experience with the past.
301 - 400: Jan 23 1996 - Feb 9 1996 (18 days)
401 - 500: Feb 10 1996 - Mar 19 1996 (39 days)
501 - 600: Mar 19 1996 - Apr 3 1996 (16 days)
601 - 700: Apr 3 1996 - May 5 1996 (33 days)
701 - 800: May 5 1996 - May 25 1996 (21 days)
801 - 900: May 25 1996 - Jun 10 1996 (17 days)
901 - 1000: Jun 10 1996 - Jul 10 1996 (31 days)
1001 - 1100:  Jul 10 1996 - Aug 9 1996 (31 days)
1101 - 1200: Aug 9 1996 - Sep 8 1996 (31 days)
1201 - 1300: Sep 9 1996 - Oct 1 1996 (23 days)
1301 - 1400: Oct 2 1996 - Nov 2 1996 (32 days)
1401 - 1500: Nov 2 1996 - Dec 1 1996 (30 days)
1501 - 1600: Dec 1 1996 - Dec 31 1996 (31 days)
1601 - 1700: Jan 1 1997 - Jan 30 1997 (30 days)
1701 - 1800: Jan 30 1997 - Mar 16 1997 (45 days)
1801 - 1900: Mar 16 1997 - Apr 2 1997 (18 days)
1901 - 2000: Apr 2 1997 - May 14 1997 (43 days)
2001 - 2100: May 14 1997 - Jun 15 1997 (32 days)
2101 - 2200: Jun 15 1997 - Jul 1 1997 (17 days)
2201 - 2300: Jul 2 1997 - Sep 11 1997 (72 days)
2301 - 2400: Sep 11 1997 - Nov 25 1997 (67 days)
2401 - 2500: Nov 25 1997 - Dec 13 1997 (19 days)
2501 - 2600: Dec 13 1997 - Jan 15 1997 (34 days)
2601 - 2700: Jan 15 1997 - Feb 6 1997 (23 days)
So it appears that the slowest periods in Ackan legislative development
have been comparatively recent, being the months of July through November
1997.  Meanwhile, spurts of Ackan proposal activity have occurred
throughout the history of our land, with 100 proposals being submitted in
under 20 days on no less than six occasions.  The pattern is far from
predictable, and far from consistent.  One wonders what a more detailed
analysis might show up :-)

Sub Game Steak
A delectable collection of subgame treats to delight the gourmand.
Viruses
Round 14 saw The Gingham Wearer's sneak another Gamepoint past the chasing
pack.  Now that it has become a four-player battle for the lead, though,
can e still hold on for the elusive 10 Gamepoints that would mark a win?
Or will team tactics take him down faster than he can build his way back
up?  Meanwhile, the Gamepoint second placegetter, Slakko, is sitting
quietly in single figure virus counts again.  What is happening?  Has e
lost his touch?  Is e a spent force?  Wait and see....
Fictionary
Fictionary's second cycle continues, with Alfvaen at unbackable odds to
wrap it up before Slakko's third definition round, just as e was this time
last week.  E stumbled in the latest round for which results are
available, however.  The Gingham Wearer nearly snuck away with two points
for an unguessed definition, but Slakko jumped in with the last vote to
grab 3 points for the round, almost enough to catch up to breadbox in
second.  Still, without a miracle it appears that second-place is the best
either of these Bluffers will be able to hope for.
Mediocrity
rufus's mediocre performance continues his success in Mediocrity. Without
a point so far, he is currently in the mediocre Gamepoint place. Can
someone force him out? Will rufus ever win a round? Your questions will be
answered by Rex Mundi - Mediocrity Referee. Just wait for the next
instalment in our Mediocre saga. 
YORL
Ye Olde Rusty Lantern has been on hold since the disappearance of our
heroine.  What will "Romeo" do?  Will two-star get em to do anything?  Has
two-star fallen asleep, and if so, who is our next barkeep?
Grab a Donkey
Four rounds down, and Grab-a-Donkey is settling down into some strategy.
The Gingham Wearer is paranoid from all the lariats being thrown eir way,
as is Slakko, who fortunately has been vigilant every round with the
blanket.  More players hit the dust, more donkeys are roped in, and the
game gets ever closer to the finale. So, like I keep saying, get your
chaps on, sharpen up those lariat skills, and cover your donkey well,
'cause it's gonna be a rip-roaring ride for a good 15 rounds or so.
 
Advertisements
The Infrequent Ackan will soon be bringing you an exclusive interview with
Acka's own Poet Laureate.  Listen to breadbox as e tells you about eir
life both in and out of the public eye.  The Infrequent Ackan - bringing
you the celebrities you want in the interviews you asked for.

The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 21/2/98.
Check us out on the web, at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:09:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spelling Bee

Regarding the recent Spelling Bee flight ...

> In Rule 1304, "Prophets and Prophecies", replace "Prophesies" with
> "Prophecies" and "annoit" with "anoint".

This very word has come up before - didn't we find that "prophesy" was
an acceptable spelling for "prophecy"? I know that one is a noun and
the other is a verb, but I seem to remember that the dictionary
listed the alternate spelling as archaic, which puts it beyond the
reach of the Bee.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:15:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IP

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Speaking of Impeachment...
> 
> I am submitting an Impeachment Paper against our Caped Crusader,
> else...if.  Eir poor moral character has been amply shown by eir
> bids in the recent Otzma Auction, and while Rule 705 does not
> specify that e will lose eir office for going into Contempt, obviously
> this is not the kind of Caped Crusader we want.

I vote YES on this Impeachment Paper.
A Caped Crusader in Gaol is no Caped Crusader at all.
:-)
{Sorry, else...if, but how can we trust a contemptuous crusader?}
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:27:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Another CSR

The unnumbered-rules-sage continues! Herein please find CSR 130:

  Renumber Rule 2716 "La grande fromage" to 611.

(BTW, CSR 129 was accepted without objection.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:33:51 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harf

As your new harfmeister I announce that proposal 2722, proposal 2724, and
proposal 2726 are all harfy.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:45:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Cheese

According to Rule 2716(which should probably be renumbered to somewhere
in the 600's, since it's got Winning Condition stuff in it), the following
Cheeses were awarded upon its passage:

> A player receives a stilton if e the ten most recent proposals e authored
> were all accepted.

I'm presuming that one is ineligible if one has _retracted_ one of the
ten most recent proposals one has authored, in which case I do not
receive one(since my last rejected proposal, 11 of mine have passed,
but two were retracted in there).  Similarly, breadbox would be eligible
for one as well but for one retracted, as would ThinMan.  So this might
be difficult if retracted Proposals are counted, and I can't read this
any other way.

> A player receives a cheddar if e has had three harfy proposals accepted
> since the adoption of this rule, or the most recent destruction of a cheese
> of this type belonging to this player; whichever is the most recent.

Obviously this hasn't happened yet, so nobody gets a cheddar.  :-)

> A player receives an edam if e has held five offices (not including Capital
> Offices) since the adoption of this rule, or the most recent destruction of
> a cheese of this type belonging to this player, or the players most recent
> impeachment; whichever is the most recent.

Obviously breadbox and I get one of these, as does Slakko(since eir
Swinger's Office counts).

> A player receives a brie if e has not had a CFCJ called against em with a
> final verdict of true, during the last two months.

I imagine that lots of brie will be issued here.  Let's see...CFCJ 148
against Calvin N Hobbes was judged TRUE, but that was overturned to
INVALID.  CFCJ 151 against Slakko was judged TRUE and upheld on appeal;
CFCJ 154 against Rex Mundi was also judged TRUE(and upheld on appeal).
CFCJ 155 against The Gingham Wearer was judged TRUE, but the appeal
verdict has not yet been returned.  So everyone but Slakko and Rex Mundi
gets brie.

This should obviously be fixed so that if a TRUE verdict on a CFCJ is
returned, then eir brie goes away for two months.

> A player receives a gouda if e wins a game of grab a donkey, wins a game of
> party chess or wins three games from the games and contest containing five
> or more players (starting from the instant this rule is adopted or the time
> a cheese of this type belonging to this player as destroyed; whichever is
> more recent).

And of course none of these are awarded yet either.  These will be sort
of like Crystal Grapefruits, then.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Julia Fordham:Porcelain
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
Night is turning thin; the saint is turning to sin.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:49:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spelling Bee

> > In Rule 1304, "Prophets and Prophecies", replace "Prophesies" with
> > "Prophecies" and "annoit" with "anoint".

> This very word has come up before - didn't we find that "prophesy" was
> an acceptable spelling for "prophecy"? I know that one is a noun and
> the other is a verb, but I seem to remember that the dictionary
> listed the alternate spelling as archaic, which puts it beyond the
> reach of the Bee.

If it worked before when I tried it in the YORL rule, then it worked
here.  Otherwise, perhaps not.  However, this may fall into the category
of "replacing a correctly spelled word with the word that was meant".
Hard to say.  If not, then this may be another job for the CSRR.  Sort
of like replacing "CSSR" with "CSRR" in the CSRR rule.  :-)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Julia Fordham:Porcelain
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
When we go back to Juarez, Mexico, do we fly over picturesque Arizona?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:52:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Contempt

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I urge you all to vote YES on the IP!  (In case anybody is waiting for
> Count Tabula to start the voting, all e has to do is tabulate the public
> votes that can be made after the IP is posted...)

I, too, vote YES on this IP.  Sorry, else...if; if you had paid the fine I
wouldn't have, else...if you had posted a public apology or something,
but as it is we have no choice but to get ourselves a new Champion of
Justice.

- -rico

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose. 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:59:46 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Timeliness

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Malenkai wrote:

> > Like I said, the only way I could have _not_ won by Agenda Hats is if the
> > SC overturns its original definition of attributes.  I have still won,
> > just on a different date,
> 
> Hmm, didn't you get the Chartreuse Goose somewhere along the line?
> Depending on when, that could be another way.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

True, I believe that he did.  But I have it now, and the agenda conditions
in question wouldn't cease to be true (or has Slakko suddenly lost some
"attributes"?) over time.

                                     - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:00:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Matt D. Bradbury" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official Sport?

  Is there an official sport, or pasttime, or game of Acka?

- -Enigma

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:52:46 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official Sport?

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Matt D. Bradbury wrote:

>   Is there an official sport, or pasttime, or game of Acka?
> 
> -Enigma
> 
> 

Yes.  It's "Give Your Money to Vynd," the game where everyone's a winner,
but some people more than others...

Well ok maybe not.  There is a substantial section of the Rules devoted to
"sub-games", which in the strictest sense of the word would make them all
"official" Acka games.  Some of them are quite popular, like Ye Olde Rusty
Lantern, Fictionary, and Viruses.  Some of them are more or less never
played.

Probably the closest approximations official games or sports of Acka are
Grab-A-Donkey and Party Chess.  Grab-A-Donkey is, well, a rather
simple-minded game, but as it happens it is the only game in which every
active Acka player participates.  Party Chess is the most elaborate game
in Acka, the only one that is played anything approaching constantly, and
it has the most impact on the rest of Acka.  It has its own office
associated with it, Chess-Umpire, held currently by Slakko.  It is, I
think, the only one of Acka's sub-games which itself has attracted people
to play Acka.  Oh, and we also have dueling here, which involves playing
some sub-game or another.

There is a mailing list devoted to Acka's sub-games:
"[email-masked]"

                                         - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 21:52:37 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official Sport?

>   Is there an official sport, or pasttime, or game of Acka?

Well, we all like to play nomic...

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Wayanay:Salgan Muchachas
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Lords And Ladies
I've got my own double-cross to bear

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #34
******************************