Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #23
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, February 14 1998      Volume 03 : Number 023

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 01:16:40 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 534 (FALSE)

I am appealing this CFJ to the Supreme Court, reasoning follows.

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Vivian Norwood wrote:

> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 534 - February 9, 1998
> Subject: EndGame Paradox
> Initiator: Vynd (sent February 6, 1998, 2:20 p.m.)
> Judge: Red Barn (selected February 9, 1998, 11:45 a.m.)
> Judgement: FALSE
> 
> Statement:  Further play is impossible.
> 
> Vynds Reasoning:  This *is* a Paradox Win CFJ.
> 
> As determined by CFJ 533, Slakko fulfilled the last of his Agenda
> Conditions on the 29th of January.  Upon doing so, according to Rule 607,
> he received the title of Agent of KAOS.  He then, again by Rule 607,
> achieved a winning condition.
> 
> Rule 666 says that "Upon a Cycle winning condition being achieved, the
> following steps occur, in order"...
> 
> The first of these steps is "a) Ackanomic play is suspended."
> 
> It is my belief that, upon Ackanomic play being suspended, it is no longer
> possible to restart play.  Hence further play is impossible.  Why do I
> believe this?  Two reasons.
> 
> The only thing that can cause play to resume is clause p) of Rule 666, "p)
> Ackanomic play resumes."  Since clause a) has suspended play, however, it
> is not possible to enact clause p).  To enact clause p) would be playing
> the game of Ackanomic, which is impossible because play has been
> suspended.
> 
> In fact, this isn't even an issue, because of the second reason I believe
> further play to be impossible.  This would be clauses b) through o) of
> Rule 666.  Each of these clauses calls for some sort of game action to be
> taken.  So to do them would be playing the game of Ackanomic.  Clause a)
> has made it impossible to do this.  So neither clause b), nor any of the
> other clauses between clauses a) and p), ever happen.  Rule 666 tells us
> that the steps listed in the Rule are applied in order.  So if step b)
> doesn't take place, step p) can never take place, and play cannot be
> resumed.  It is for this reason that, upon Slakko achieving a winning
> condition, further Ackanomic play became impossible.
> 
> Judges Reasoning
> 
>   This hinges on the definition of the word 'play'.  I assert that 'play'
> refers to participation by players, not neccessarily to all game events.
> If this definition is seriously questioned, an appeal is neccessary.
>   One could make an argument that 'play' includes activity by the harfers,
> but actually their duties are merely to TRACK the game state, not to make
> it.  They can, and do, do so after-the-fact (or simultaneously with it,
> if you prefer).
> 
>   Also, we have (15, now?) cycle wins worth of custom that it IS possible
> to get to the next cycle...
> 
> 

Appeal Reasoning:

I concur that the meaning of the word "play" is the key to this issue, but
I am not so sure about the rest of the Judge's reasoning.  Certainly the
argument that we have had Cycle wins in the past is insufficient.  We've
been wrong in the past too, about a lot of things, and it is not at all
impossible that we have been mistakenly pretending to play Ackanomic since
the end of the very first Cycle.

In my review of the Rules and Game Custom, I have found what I believe to
be the crucial CFJ on this issue, CFJ 193.  This CFJ asked if it was
possible for the steps of Rule 666 to cause Rule 666 to implement itself
again (the gist of the argument for this occuring being that step three of
666 declared someone the winner of the cycle, which is exactly what causes
Rule 666 to activate in the first place).  Interestingly, CFJ 193 is the
source of an important statement in game custom, that certain events in
Acka are a part of Acka but not a part of Acka play, to quote:

"Rule 666/2(a) suspends Ackanomic play.  Rule 666/2(b) through Rule
666/s(m) are Ackanomic procedures to be carried out beyond the bounds of
play, much as setting up 'queen on color' is a part of chess but not a
part of chess play,"

Now this is an interesting assertion to look at in the first place.
Frankly, I have to wonder if setting up for chess isn't indeed part of
playing the game of chess.  After all, how to set up the board is part of
the rules of chess, if you do it improperly then you are cheating, etc.
So the very basis for this argument of "Ackanomic procedures to be
carried out beyond the bounds of play" is a little shaky.

What I find really interesting, however, is what this very same CFJ 193
goes on to say in the next sentence:

"The reinvocation of Rule 666/2 would be Ackanomic play, and, thus, is
impermissible, as Ackanomic play was suspended."

This is, to the best of my abilities in searching the CFJ archives and
Rules, the only place where some event is specifically said to be
Ackanomic play.  Certainly it is reasonable to assume that, if the
reinvocation of Rule 666 is Ackanomic play, invoking it in the first place
is Ackanomic play.  So what CFJ 193 seems to be telling us is that
applying the Rules is playing Ackanomic.

What an interesting dilemma.  This CFJ seems to assert that applying the
steps of Rule 666 are not part of Ackanomic play, but that applying Rule
666 itself is Ackanomic play.  This doesn't make much sense to me.  I can
understand why invoking Rule 666 would be considered Ackanomic play.  But
why then is actually doing the things that Rule 666 calls for not part of
Ackanomic play?  And why only steps (b) through (m)?  It never says
anywhere in Rule 666 (then or now) that any of the events described in its
steps occur outside of play.  Granted, the very first step is to suspend
Ackanomic play, so it would be pretty hard to carry out the rest of the
steps otherwise.  But hey, mistakes happen, and this could have been one
of Ackanomic's largest.  I don't put much faith in an argument which is
saying that the later steps of Rule 666 are not part of Ackanomic play
because otherwise they wouldn't happen.  The rules are often
contradictory and occasionally demand the impossible.

To go out and just blatantly state my personal opinion, putting into
practice the Rules of a game is playing that game.  CFJ 193 seems to agree
with me on this, it says that invoking Rule 666 is Ackanomic play.  Now,
if we accept this as being true there is precious little reason to believe
that applying the parts of Rule 666 are not part of play.  There is the
statement in CFJ 193 to this effect, but there is no support for such a
statement in the Rules, and the CFJ almost immediately undermines its own
position.  Faced with this, I think it is reasonable to assume that
applying the steps of Rule 666 is in fact, play.  And since play has been
suspended, none of the steps after the first happen, including the one
which would allow play to resume.  Thus, further play is impossible.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:38:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 534 (FALSE)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> I am appealing this CFJ to the Supreme Court, reasoning follows.

If your CFJ was true, then it would be impossible to return a verdict on
it, because play would be unable to continue, and that includes delivering
verdicts on CFJs.

You're on a hiding to nothing.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 06:07:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

Sorry, missed that.

NF

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > I also sent you a vote for Slakko.
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> > 
> > > Slakko	NF
> 
> Yes - you sure did.  And he counted it.
> Memo to myself - do the dumb things I gotta do.  Make abbreviations
> official.
> 
> - -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
> Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:08:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 534 (FALSE)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> 
> > 
> > I am appealing this CFJ to the Supreme Court, reasoning follows.
> 
> If your CFJ was true, then it would be impossible to return a verdict on
> it, because play would be unable to continue, and that includes delivering
> verdicts on CFJs.
> 
> You're on a hiding to nothing.

I further note that the "further play is impossible" PWCFJ condition is
impossible to fulfil by its very definition, and hence, IMHO, should be
stricken from the Paradox Win rule for clarity.  If further play is
impossible, then it is impossible to submit a CFJ, and hence no such CFJ
can ever be legally judged TRUE. (The judgement itself also constitutes
further continuance of play).

Yours,
Slakko
let's just get on with the game, shall we?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:29:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure

My treasure has been found by /dev/joe who posted me the following URL 
(which should all be combined into one long URL):

http://roadmaps.lycos.com:90/cgi-bin/mqcustomconnect?screen=map&l
ink=map&height=300&width=400&lat=539299&lng=-29069&style=2&search
=%5e%5e%5e%5e%5eEngland%5e0&orig_icon_on=1&orig_search=1&orig_ico
nid=2&orig_lat=525981&orig_lng=-14661&orig_name=England&country=E
ngland&first=0&mouse_mode=center&event=zoom&level=5&event=zoom

The treasure map was as follows:

This treasure shall be found by the player who The Gingham Wearer decides
has done enough to deserve finding it. This should be based on providing
The Gingham Wearer with a computerised map of Lancashire.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:04:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

>This treasure shall be found by the player who The Gingham Wearer decides
>has done enough to deserve finding it. This should be based on providing
>The Gingham Wearer with a computerised map of Lancashire.
	How did it work?  I was working with Balsamic Dragon on it, and we
got partway through before getting stuck.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:13:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> >This treasure shall be found by the player who The Gingham Wearer
decides
> >has done enough to deserve finding it. This should be based on
providing
> >The Gingham Wearer with a computerised map of Lancashire.
> 	How did it work?  I was working with Balsamic Dragon on it, and we
> got partway through before getting stuck.

What's that? Oh damn. I had two didn't I? Sorry about that. It was the
most recently buried one not the code one. You'll have to keep working on
that one. Incidentally, I didn't think that one was overly hard, probably
the first two steps were the most difficult. Incidentally, as treasure
harfer I'm going to harf it as unambiguous as to which one it was that
/dev/joe found and I ask Alfvaen to do the same.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:22:39 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 534 (FALSE)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > I am appealing this CFJ to the Supreme Court, reasoning follows.
> > 
> > If your CFJ was true, then it would be impossible to return a verdict on
> > it, because play would be unable to continue, and that includes delivering
> > verdicts on CFJs.
> > 
> > You're on a hiding to nothing.
> 
> I further note that the "further play is impossible" PWCFJ condition is
> impossible to fulfil by its very definition, and hence, IMHO, should be
> stricken from the Paradox Win rule for clarity.  If further play is
> impossible, then it is impossible to submit a CFJ, and hence no such CFJ
> can ever be legally judged TRUE. (The judgement itself also constitutes
> further continuance of play).
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> let's just get on with the game, shall we?

This matter has been addressed in the past.  The justices at the time (I
think it was CFJ 187 or something like that) ruled that judging a Paradox
Win CFJ or this nature could take place even if play had in fact ended,
that it was not part of playing Ackanomic.  Of course, if the justices
were to accept my reasoning, then CFJ 187 might no longer apply.  But in
any event, it is no more impossible for a verdict of TRUE to be returned
on this CFJ than it was for me to submit it in the first place.  If a
verdict of TRUE does come down, I expect we'd have some other CFJs on what
the hell is going on now that we've declared further play impossible, but
we're pretty bright around here, I suspect we'd figure something out.

I agree, however, that the paradox win rule, as it stands now, is in need
of some changes.  Even if this CFJ's verdict is upheld, I am hoping that
it will help to stimulate some discussion of what should be done with Rule
601.  If, as Slakko contends, it is impossible to rule a "further play is
impossible" CFJ TRUE, then I don't think Rule 601 is doing much of
anything anymore.  I cannot think of any circumstances where an action
would be equally legal and illegal, now that precedence both between and
within rules is so clearly defined.  That leaves "chages to the rules is
impossible", which could happen I supose, but it would be an impressive
feat.

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
> Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:48:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 1 Issue 10

Volume 1, Issue 10
February 14, 1998
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Poll Question #2
3. More Ackanomic News
4. Special Report: Cycle Win Information
5. Sub-Game Sloppy Joes
6. Advertisement
 
Editorial
A much quieter past seven days have passed in Ackanomic since this paper
came to you last.  There has been only one more win attempt, one that, if
it succeeds, would prevent this paper from ever having come to you, so
there's no point worrying about it in the Editorial :-).  A frobbed
proposal queue has seen submissions dwindle slightly, with a low 16
proposals to be voted on over the past week.  Perhaps, once the fabled
submissions 'bot is up and running, a tweaking of the queue is in order?
The old wins are still under dispute.  The Supreme Court has yet to rule
on the second appeal of Slakko's Agenda Conditions win, but it has been
revealed that the win will still be claimed, simply at a date after the
submission of the win CFJ.  Malenkai's Swingpoints Production CFJ is in
its first appeal to the Supreme Court, but as yet only Malenkai has
provided any arguments as to its success.
And now a message from the Editor, Advertising:  If there is any way that
the staff here at the Infrequent Ackan can make this newspaper better for
you, the reader, please tell us.  This paper always aims to provide Ackans
with a comprehensive news and opinions service, so if you want your
opinions heard, or your letters published, please send them to
[email-masked]. 
Have another good Ackan week - hopefully I'll see you again next Saturday.
 
Poll Question
Last week's Poll Question attracted an all-time high of 1 response.  The
result of this is that 100% of players suggested that no change should be
made to the current system of judgements, appeals and Supreme Court
decisions.  If this isn't what you wanted, then you should have voted.
The winner of our Lucky Dip trinket will be notified by our contests
Manager in a public financial message.
 
More Ackanomic News
A great earthquake passed through Acka this very morning.  Some players'
homes were tossed hundreds of cat-heights into the air, and thrown several
kaa away.  Miraculously, no-one was hurt or even badly dishevelled in the
disaster, and structural damage was reported as non-existent.  "It was as
if my home had always been on this kaa" one Ackan denizen was reported as
saying.  The cause of this earthquake: the inauguration of the Ackanomic
Printing Guild, and its extravagant building next to the Library.
The Ackanomic seer, Nostrachaos, told this reporter that the disaster of
this morning had been predicted years ago, and had been written down in
the Codex of Haon, but in a disguised form so as to not affect history.
He was happy to have the relevant passage quoted:
When the dead are seen in the lantern's gaze
And a triumvirate of cloaks are transparently seen
The book stacks' neighbours will wake in a daze
And paper arise of brilliant white sheen.
Nostrachaos has promised to keep The Infrequent Ackan informed whenever
any further prophecies come true.  At this stage, however, he is in no
position to reveal more of the Codex.  Such hidden secrets must remain
hidden, to prevent the course of history being altered.
In Duel news, Slakko lost to /dev/joe after a valiant last-minute attempt
to prevent the run-away win.  Meanwhile, the first four-player Duel is
underway, a game of Spades to settle the growing dispute at the heart of
the Razor Boomerangs.
 
Special Report: Cycle Win Information
With all the Cycle reforms completed, the Infrequent Ackan has decided to
provide a quick summary of the nature of cycle wins, and to examine more
closely the way wins appear to be heading.  All statistics in this section
assume that no win-claiming CFJ currently in appeal will be overturned.
17 Cycles in all have been won.  The most common method of winning is the
standard points method, whereby the Magic Number is achieved.  This method
has been used in various guises during the game, first as Rule 422, then
Rule 220, and finally Rule 603.  Winners by this method: Malenkai 4 times,
Bascule once, and Habeous Corpus once.  The method encourages heavy
involvement in the game, so as to accumulate points faster than all other
players.
 The next most common method is via a Paradox Win CFJ.  This has occurred
5 times, with Malenkai winning twice, and /dev/joe, ThinMan and Mohammed
once each.  Paradox Wins have the advantage of simply requiring a
well-hidden flaw in the rules to be spotted, but the disadvantage that a
well-hidden flaw to one person is simply a different interpretation to
another.  PWCFJ verdicts of TRUE are notoriously difficult, and these days
the question must be asked as to whether a successful Paradox Win CFJ can
occur again, given the combined expertise of the players in addressing
potential paradoxes.
Only one other winning method has produced multiple winners, namely the
Museum Win.  This method is the most obvious Scam Win tactic, provided
that you have not used it before (as a Museum Win can only occur once for
any particular player).  Any scam capable of creating A$5000 can produce a
Museum Win, making it extremely flexible.  Malenkai and /dev/joe are the
two Museum Winners.
The remaining wins have all been by individual methods.  Robert Sevin won
the first cycle when Rule 666 declared him the winner.  This was partially
compensation for having his points win attempt revoked by the Supreme
Court.  Malenkai won the 14th cycle by becoming an Angry Villager, with
the (now fixed) Frankenstein Monster Part Scam.  He also won the 16th
cycle via Beldin's Pants, a rule whose innate mutability (thanks to the
Magic Potato) could see similar situations happen again.  Slakko won the
17th cycle by Secret Agendas, having successfully authored 5 proposals in
a Chrome Streak, achieved 15 attributes on the Player / Entity page, and
having authored a message containing 10 misspelled prime-length words.
What method will the next win take?  No-one knows...

Sub Game Sloppy Joes
A delectable collection of subgame treats to delight the gourmand.
Viruses
Round 12 saw The Gingham Wearer's cell count lead slashed to nothing.  His
Gamepoints lead is still significant, four ahead of his nearest rival.
Can he regain the cell lead, or will the new challenger, breadbox, start
racking up cell points?  The question of co-operation has been well and
truly answered, with two players combining to attack TGW's viri last turn,
while breadbox worked on maximising his own count to mount an effective
defence.  Only six players are still in the game, so the action is
gradually becoming more and more cut-throat.
Fictionary
Fictionary's second cycle is now underway, with Alfvaen at unbackable odds
to wrap it up before Slakko's third definition round.  Even a correct
definition guess from breadbox has made only temporary inroads, Alfvaen
still holding an unbelievable 9 point lead.  Can people pick Alfvaen's
definitions?  If not, why not?
Mediocrity
rufus's mediocre performance continues his success in Mediocrity. Without
a point so far, he is currently in the mediocre Gamepoint place. Can
someone force him out? Will rufus ever win a round? Your questions will be
answered by Rex Mundi - Mediocrity Referee. Just wait for the next
instalment in our Mediocre saga.  Unlike last week, however, there is now
another player in a potentially Mediocre score.  Slakko is the only player
on 3 points, but this will mean nothing if no-one gets rufus to win a
round before too long.
YORL
Ye Olde Rusty Lantern has taken the Western-Fantasy crossover and made it
its own.  Some surprisingly familiar characters have entered the story,
with the Thin Man and erPhil having the recognition quality of "I'm sure
I've seen him somewhere, but where"?  The story, as with all good stories
at this stage, has a few loose ends to be cleared up later.  There should
be plenty of ale to go around, provided the cards in the deck last long
enough.  Keep in touch with the nuttiest Subgame yet! 
Grab a Donkey
Two rounds in, and the Grab-a-Donkey Active List is shrinking fast.  With
a few early resignations, and fast and furious lassooing, 8 involved
players are already in the dust where their donkey used to be.  So, like I
said last week, get your chaps on, sharpen up those lariat skills, and
cover your donkey well, 'cause it's gonna be a rip-roaring ride for a good
15 rounds or so.
In the Grab-a-Donkey pool, there are three players each with a shot at
A$15.  The first Infrequent Ackan betting pool is therefore a qualified
success.  Admittedly more people would have made it a more interesting
bet, but one can't complain if people don't want to risk their own money.
 
Advertisements
The Infrequent Ackan is still, still, still looking for interviews. If
you've held an office in Ackanomic for more than 2 months, then contact us
for interview information. PLEASE CONTACT US - WE'RE DESPERATE FOR AN
INTERVIEW! 
The Infrequent Ackan - make it your preferred Newspaper Real Soon Now.

The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 14/2/98.
Check us out on the web, at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:16:35 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Raft

Vynd has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic this fine Valentine's Day.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Kojak Variety
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
I tried to play the shoehorn.  All I got was footnotes.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Mad Sculptor (Vynd)

Vynd has been selected as the Mad Sculptor for Sculpture 37, recently
unearthed by /dev/joe.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Black:Finder
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
I gave my love a cherry...she choked on it and died.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> What's that? Oh damn. I had two didn't I? Sorry about that. It was the
> most recently buried one not the code one. You'll have to keep working on
> that one. Incidentally, I didn't think that one was overly hard, probably
> the first two steps were the most difficult. Incidentally, as treasure
> harfer I'm going to harf it as unambiguous as to which one it was that
> /dev/joe found and I ask Alfvaen to do the same.

I knew which one you meant.  The Lancashire one.  Don't worry.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Kojak Variety
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Are your eyes wide awake yet?  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Goldenmean has found Phoebe's matchbox.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Kojak Variety
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Because electrons are brave.  Braveness is nice, don't you think?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:31 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Spender

> >While I'm at it, I spend A$7 to buy a Magic Radish from it as well.
> >Now, I believe that this means that A$4 goes into the Treasury and
> >A$4 goes to Balsamic Dragon.  Where does the extra A$ come from?
> >Does this mean that there is now A$100,001 in the Treasury?

> 	Impossible.  The treasury is defined as having A$100,000-(everyone
> else's).

And it is defined as such in Rule 505.  Rule 501, which also claims
universal precedence(and gets it, over Rule 505, because of its lower
number), is the one which specifies that fractional entities must be
rounded up to the next highest.

I've already submitted the CFJ; if anyone wants, I can post it here so
people can poke holes in it until Balsamic Dragon distributes it.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Kojak Variety
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
And silence hung in the air like fruitcake.  --Steven Vann

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:36 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Games & Contests submission confusion

> I wanted to note something about the last G&C Suite addition, made by
> Alfvaen. Here is the original message:

> > This post consists of two parts.  The first part is a General Equipment
> > submission:

> > Add the following new General Equipment to the Games & Contests suite:

> > FOOTLOOSE
> > V. Movie Database

> > a) URL: http://www.imdb.com/
> > FOOTLOOSE

> > [...]

> I've added the full text indicated as a new rule. I'm not sure that's
> what was intended - it's rather ambiguous to me whether or not just
> the delimited text was meant to be considered as the G&C submission.

Foo.  I did mean to mention the delimiter("the following, delimited by
FOOTLOOSE, is a General Equipment submission").

> This new rule apparently has no title, since Alfvaen gave no
> indication of what its title should be. I considered the possibility
> that its title might be "Nameless Thing #N", but that rule applies
> specifically to entity names, and rules are nameless entities (even
> though they have titles associated with them).

Foo again.  I think I'd presumed that it would be appended to Rule 1250.3,
since it hardly needed a Rule of its own.

> I'm guessing that Alfvaen may have intended something else by this,
> but the above is how I read the rules involved.

If the CSR would be kind enough to fix this...ideally, I _would_ like the
Movie Database(minus the delimiters)added to Rule 1250.3, so that it won't
need a name.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Kojak Variety
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:06:57 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Calvin N Hobbes
# Ackanomicon determination
# based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
# 1 -15: arcane trivia
# 16-20: vile prophecies
# 21-25: inner workings
# 26-30: arcane lore
# 31-33: terrorizing pages
# 34-34: ancient artifact
# 35-36: mutation
# 37-38: dark domain
# 39-39: the secret
# 40-41: long lost treasure
# 42-43: doomsday
# 44-44: forbidden fruit
# 45-45: catastrophe
# 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
# 50-50: ancient one
# Malenkai

No. of sides on every die:     50
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     28

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Feb 14 11:06:36 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id LAA18668 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:06:36 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-20.agt.net(198.161.157.86) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma018656; Sat Feb 14 11:06:28 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id LAA00926 for [email-masked]; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:50:29 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:50:28 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 50
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: Calvin N Hobbes
> #C Ackanomicon determination
> #C based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
> #C 1 -15: arcane trivia
> #C 16-20: vile prophecies
> #C 21-25: inner workings
> #C 26-30: arcane lore
> #C 31-33: terrorizing pages
> #C 34-34: ancient artifact
> #C 35-36: mutation
> #C 37-38: dark domain
> #C 39-39: the secret
> #C 40-41: long lost treasure
> #C 42-43: doomsday
> #C 44-44: forbidden fruit
> #C 45-45: catastrophe
> #C 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
> #C 50-50: ancient one
> #C Malenkai
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNOXrTD8NitsTFjcVAQHIhAQAjCdCbjV0JanvLpyAZhgU3HzyP2wkvFTV
dgMGIM1de9n/FAfuF2MGa2k3TW1h5BsHxUwZp4QCmXVTrPdMvF4uzNftiVqi15EX
6gq7EoSv7hBr1tGkDeBSnghvVaijvowZCOx6l4MJSzkMNL17tGQX6XfgkJUNW9oJ
rANAN9CwQ4E=
=gkgV
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:12:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Random Otzma Card Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Calvin N Hobbes
# I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
# based on the following schedule:
# 1 - go fish
# 2 - map shard
# 3 - summon tornado
# 4 - untouch me
# 5 - share my expenses
# 6 - share my income
# 7 - tactical retreat
# 8 - paratroop
# 9 - truthseeker
# 10 - fix my gadget
# 11 - scientist for a day
# 12 - art thief
# 13 - skeleton key
# 14 - grave robber
# 15 - swinging sale
# 16 - foul fowl

No. of sides on every die:     16
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     16

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Feb 14 11:12:04 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id LAA19503 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:12:04 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-20.agt.net(198.161.157.86) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma019469; Sat Feb 14 11:11:55 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id MAA01118 for [email-masked]; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:12:55 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Random Otzma Card
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:12:54 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 16
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Random Otzma Card Determination
> 
> #C Player: Calvin N Hobbes
> #C I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> #C based on the following schedule:
> #C 1 - go fish
> #C 2 - map shard
> #C 3 - summon tornado
> #C 4 - untouch me
> #C 5 - share my expenses
> #C 6 - share my income
> #C 7 - tactical retreat
> #C 8 - paratroop
> #C 9 - truthseeker
> #C 10 - fix my gadget
> #C 11 - scientist for a day
> #C 12 - art thief
> #C 13 - skeleton key
> #C 14 - grave robber
> #C 15 - swinging sale
> #C 16 - foul fowl
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNOXsiD8NitsTFjcVAQGm6gQAg/iXYoCDBurTpqX6YudojuRX08fNW/CT
CHujDAGdbLuWpertXXO98S0yLxEHAwZJTMp+WWaA0Z8pUELg+BAFr9Bt58dDqSqy
ot0NaEw3T5ylovZ4Zj9wKY3ONnJ/3xNtpLPmUJpUODbIn6UNbZrH1HiWUFjQ40kc
X96WBhqp15g=
=wZab
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:15:29 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Random Otzma

Wait a minute, I did that wrong.  This ain't no Book of Chorg.  Ignore the
Random Otzma thing; I'll go and steal Slakko's Dice Server thing from the
last Otzma Day.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Elvis Costello:Days
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Bullets bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:16:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Random Otzma Card Determination

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Dice server wrote:

> # Player: Calvin N Hobbes
> # I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> # based on the following schedule:
> # 16 - foul fowl
>      16

Sorry, try again.
All 5 Foul Fowl cards are already in existence.

Yours,
Slakko
RuneMaker
who has a page wherein this kind of information can be got
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:18:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bonedigger

I am creating a trinket called The Gingham Shovel valued at A$10 with 
the following description:

"A shovel which is made, just for a change, from gingham. And you have no
idea how hard it is to dig with one of these things."

I then play my otzma card grave robber and name mr cwm as my target.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:19:20 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Otzma Card Probabilistic Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Results of Probabilistic Otzma Card Creation
# (Calvin N Hobbes, Arcane Lore from the Ackanomicon)
# 1-9 - Go Fish
# 10-12 - Map Shard
# 13 - Summon Tornado
# 14-16 - Untouch Me
# 17-19 - Share My Expenses
# 20-22 - Share Your Income
# 23-25 - Swinging Sale
# 26-28 - Tactical Retreat
# 29-31 - Paratroop
# 32-34 - Foul Fowl
# 35-37 - TruthSeeker
# 38-40 - Fix My Gadget
# 41-43 - Scientist for a Day
# 44-46 - Art Thief
# 47-49 - Skeleton Key
# 50-52 - Grave Robber

No. of sides on every die:     52
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     28

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Feb 14 11:19:05 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id LAA20685 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:19:05 -0800
> Received: from edtntnt1-port-20.agt.net(198.161.157.86) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma020682; Sat Feb 14 11:19:04 1998
> Received: (from alfvaen@localhost) by telusplanet.net (8.7.6/8.7.3) id MAA01184 for [email-masked]; Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:20:03 -0700
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: CnH's Otzma Card
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:20:02 -0700 (MST)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> 
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 52
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Otzma Card Probabilistic Determination
> 
> #C Results of Probabilistic Otzma Card Creation
> #C (Calvin N Hobbes, Arcane Lore from the Ackanomicon)
> #C
> #C 1-9 - Go Fish
> #C 10-12 - Map Shard
> #C 13 - Summon Tornado
> #C 14-16 - Untouch Me
> #C 17-19 - Share My Expenses
> #C 20-22 - Share Your Income
> #C 23-25 - Swinging Sale
> #C 26-28 - Tactical Retreat
> #C 29-31 - Paratroop
> #C 32-34 - Foul Fowl
> #C 35-37 - TruthSeeker
> #C 38-40 - Fix My Gadget
> #C 41-43 - Scientist for a Day
> #C 44-46 - Art Thief
> #C 47-49 - Skeleton Key
> #C 50-52 - Grave Robber
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNOXuNj8NitsTFjcVAQEftQP8DIuDOT1VCneSG6nfAUpDNJsfjNRNxl43
qCO9PKv3rjIpvqoif/pGTaLh50URPcTRKwPz0/Jz2gqHqYr5MJQYQjELcsUL2m74
+ZA24Qnai9wsgWVJrUTuCRM5KKcroPbTNKnq/kQkIjmd9Nn6YAIODrxytT8rSo4h
L0D42hkWdKg=
=+KOp
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #23
******************************