Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #22
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, February 13 1998       Volume 03 : Number 022

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:05:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Presidential Power

Thanks to Alfvaen's announcement, I am now conducting nominations for the
position of Trinket-Harfer.  (Assuming the rules allow me to, of course).

Yours,
Slakko
President "Gumball"

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:35:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

I also sent you a vote for Slakko.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> Slakko by one:
> 
> K 2	Alfvaen
> K 2	K 2
> NO	/dev/joe
> Slakko	Goldenmean
> Slakko	NF
> Slakko	Slagothor
> Slakko	Slakko
> Slakko	rufus
> Slakko Fortunato
> TGW	Guy Fawkes
> TGW	Rex Mundi
> TGW	TGW
> TGW	Vynd
> TGW	else...if
> 
> 
> Congrats to our new pres!
> 
> rufus
> Count Tabula
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:42:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: SwingPoint Conversion

I convert four of my Swingpoints to 1 Bonus Vote

Niccolo Flychuck

see? things can be just done. You don't really to hereby do thngs to get
them done.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:45:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> I also sent you a vote for Slakko.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> > Slakko	NF

Yes - you sure did.  And he counted it.
Memo to myself - do the dumb things I gotta do.  Make abbreviations
official.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:47:08 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: senate nomination

I am now taking nominations for Senate seat recently vacated by our
esteemed President Slakko.  reply to nominate yourself.  And remember, "To
nominate" is a transitive verb.

rufus
Count Tabula

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:49:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: SwingPoint Conversion

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> I convert four of my Swingpoints to 1 Bonus Vote
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> see? things can be just done. You don't really to hereby do thngs to get
> them done.

But I _like_ hereby.  And it has fewer than 7 letters :-)
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:57:44 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: trinket-harfer

I announce a nomination for the Offic of Trinket-harfer.  Reply to
nominate yourself.  

rufus
Count Tabula

BTW, I intend to nominate myself for this, so you needn't volunter out of
guilt.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: silver moon?

Vynd sent me mail asking if I had started a hearing for Silver-Moon.  I
haven't I did not know they had been announced.  I seem to have missed
that mail--it nver got here.  If someone could inform me what thy are I
will hold the hearing.  I would go look at the archives, but my net access
is currently through I DECWriter III, which means I can't surf hte web.
Evn Lynx xpets an addresable cursor.

ruufs

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:44:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RE: CFJ 153

I humbly apologize, I was getting confused with CFJ 513 which was also
appealed, but was returned.  Sorry <:)

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Aaron V. Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: RE: CFJ 153
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 5:37 PM
> 
> 
> > Just a friendly reminder: as far as I know, CFJ 153 was appealed
January
> > 30, and is still awaiting judgment.
> 
> I can't find an appeal for CFCJ 153(as I assume you mean) at all...
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--Warren Zevon:Run Straight Down
> Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
> Let us settle our indifferences.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:52:37 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: EBS

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> Well, it could easily be the case that I have beenw rong all this time.
> But if I am not, you have to pull the lever for your EBS each and every
> time you want that extra vote.  And you can do it by informing the hearing
> Harfer privately along with you vote.  You might notice that I do not
> employ my EBS in every hearing I vote in...
> 
What I have always assumed is that you need to pull the lever for every
hearing.  If you don't tell me that you are going to pull the lever, then
I don't assume you do.  Besides, it means that this way the hearing-harfer
need not check the entity list.  (What happens if you trade the EBS during
the course of the hearing?)

rufus
XY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:03:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Spender

Boy, this machine will soon pay for itself!

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Aaron V. Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> To: Ackanomic <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Big Spender
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 10:43 PM
> 
> 
> I hereby spend A$180 to buy 30 Rocks To Wind A String Around from
> Balsamic Dragon's Vending Machine.  (Since nobody else spoke up or
> lowered their rates or anything...:-)
> 
> While I'm at it, I spend A$7 to buy a Magic Radish from it as well.
> Now, I believe that this means that A$4 goes into the Treasury and
> A$4 goes to Balsamic Dragon.  Where does the extra A$ come from?
> Does this mean that there is now A$100,001 in the Treasury?
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Gene Loves Jezebel:Discover
> Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
> History repeats itself because nobody listens.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:22:56 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GAD

I have a little problem.  I just found out I'm going out of town next
Wednesday evening, and will not be back until Sunday night.  If I do the
rounds right, this round should end on Sunday, and the next should end
on Wednesday.  If possible, I would like to continue the game.  Could we
have the round end normally on Wednesday, and have me post the results
one day later?  I assume that if nobody has any objections, I'm allowed
to do that.  If not, can someone suggest an alternative?

Fortunato
Wrangler

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:37:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> I have a little problem.  I just found out I'm going out of town next
> Wednesday evening, and will not be back until Sunday night.  If I do the
> rounds right, this round should end on Sunday, and the next should end
> on Wednesday.  If possible, I would like to continue the game.  Could we
> have the round end normally on Wednesday, and have me post the results
> one day later?  I assume that if nobody has any objections, I'm allowed
> to do that.  If not, can someone suggest an alternative?

It is only one day late - there shouldn't be a problem.
You're doing very well for speed, compared to previous GAD games.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:40:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Nomination Clarification

Rules 408 and 414 combine to make the President the player responsible for
conducting nominations for open Functional Office seats, not Count Tabula.
So please send your Nominations to me.

Yours,
Slakko
President "Gumball"

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:39:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Nom Clar Clar

Sorry - I didn't realise multiple nominations were in progress
simultaneously.

Nominations for Trinket-Harfer - to Slakko
Nominations for Senator - to rufus

Clear?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:19:33 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket

I create a Trinket, valued at A$1 (hopefully, I won't be able to do this
after today), with the name "Bottle of Wishes", and the following
MOBIUS-delimited description.

MOBIUS
The Bottle of Wishes is a beautiful, fairly large Klein bottle made of a
dark green glass.  On one side is carved the words, "This is the
outside."  On the other side is carved the words, "This is the outside."
 The bottle is filled to the top with a thin greenish fluid.  At the
bottom of the bottle, barely visible through the fluid, is a gold ring
in the shape of a Mobius toroid.  It is said that whoever drinks the
contents of the Bottle of Wishes while wearing the gold ring will gain
the power to change the entire Ruleset to suit them.
MOBIUS

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:29:00 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket

> MOBIUS
> The Bottle of Wishes is a beautiful, fairly large Klein bottle made of a
> dark green glass.  On one side is carved the words, "This is the
> outside."  On the other side is carved the words, "This is the outside."

I'd say that this description is entirely meaningless, since it attempts
to describe a Klein bottle with two sides, but as the creator of the
Travestry I don't have a leg to stand on.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Stranglers:Golden Brown
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
NOTE: Due to inflation, dumb looks are now $1 each.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:40:09 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Web-Harfer

One of the offices I would like to be passing on soon is Web-Harfer.
It's just too hard to do with only two Megs of quota.  Anyone who's
interested in doing it, see if you can put together an Ackanomic main
page(just copy mine, that's what I did), and keep it updated.  Of
course, Slakko will(probably)get to make the final choice, but e should
have some basis for choosing as well.  I'm willing to keep up a few
pages, the one I enjoy, of course, and the ones my remaining Offices
would justify(like the Scores page, and the PE pages).

Oh, and it'd be neat if someone could come up with some more pictures
for some of our entities, too.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Beck:Devil's Haircut
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
There should be trembling, there should be sorrow.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:04:50 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Trinket

I didn't say it had two sides.  I just gave the same side two
descriptions.  And, in fact, each of those descriptions is the same :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 13, 1998 11:29 AM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: Trinket
>
>
>
>> MOBIUS
>> The Bottle of Wishes is a beautiful, fairly large Klein bottle made of a
>> dark green glass.  On one side is carved the words, "This is the
>> outside."  On the other side is carved the words, "This is the outside."
>
>I'd say that this description is entirely meaningless, since it attempts
>to describe a Klein bottle with two sides, but as the creator of the
>Travestry I don't have a leg to stand on.  :-)
>
>
>--
>--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
>Song In My Head--The Stranglers:Golden Brown
>Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
>NOTE: Due to inflation, dumb looks are now $1 each.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:59:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
>Subject: Headquarters
>Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
>Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
>Judgement: FALSE
>
>Statement:
>
>There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".

I appeal this decision to the Supreme Court, and exercise my option to
decline judgement upon it.

Reasoning:

I am not particularly concerned about whether Vulcan owns two Extravagant
buildings or one.  The dynamics of entity creation and existence in
Ackanomic do interest me, however, as does the interplay of rules and
custom.  I think there are some issues to which the original judge did not
give due consideration.  The verdict may well be correct, but I require
more semi-official explanation as to why.  I apologize to Fortunato, in fact,
for appealing this CFJ.

I argue that a building named "Rule 1 is repealed.  #1 Headquarters" does,
in fact, exist, as does another building named "Vulcan Headquarters,"
both owned by Vulcan.

Rule 1, at various times, said that the organization currently named Vulcan
owned buildings named "Vulcan Headquarters" and "Rule 1 is repealed.  #1
Headquarters".  It also said at all times that Vulcan owned 12 kaas of land.

Rule 839 (Buildings) says that Buildings are entities, and rule 500 says
that entities may only be created or destroyed as described in the rules.

At the relevant times, rule 1 had precedence over rule 500, so that the
buildings it stipulated to exist in Vulcan's possession could have been
and were created without a specific description in the rules.  (One could
also argue that these buildings somehow came into existence without being
"created" for the purposes of R500.  I do not favor that interpretation,
but the distinction is immaterial.)

The previous judge's ruling makes (at least) two implicit assumptions that
I think need to be scrutinized.

1) Only one building may occupy any paricular kaa of land.
2) The 12 kaas of land mentioned in rule 1 at all times referred to the
   same land.

Moreover, based on these assumptions, the previous judge apparently concluded
that R500's restrictions on entity destruction were either satisfied or
overruled. 

(1) Seems natural, and may, in fact, be correct.  In my research, however,
I did not find anything in the rules to support that position directly.  One
might argue that for a building to "occupy" a particular kaa of land implies
that it occupies it exclusively, but the rules also specify that buildings
are locations, and players may be at locations.  If a player can share a kaa
of land with a building, then why not two buildings?  (Perhaps one is inside
the other.)

(2) Rule 1 did/does not say that Vulcan owned _exactly_ twelve kaas of land.
If one prefers that seperate buildings be on disjoint plots of land, rule 1
could be interpreted to have granted Vulcan twelve _more_ plots of land to
go with the new building.

I also comment that these two assumptions are independant, in that even if
more than one building may occupy the same land, rule 1 might still have
granted Vulcan additional land for the new building.

The original judge concluded, based on the above assumptions, that the rules
required that Vulcan's building be destroyed and replaced with a new one
each time Vulcan changed its name.  I can see some justification for that
conclusion, _provided_ that I accept the assumptions.  Coming to such a
conclusion, however, means determining that Rule 1 overrides rule 500 with
respect to the destruction of entities.  This is different, and weaker, than
the case for the creation of the buildings, in that Rule 1 at no time said
that any of the buildings it previously created did not exist.  The conflict
is that a situation seems to have been created which should not exist.

It is only the judge's combination of assumptions, however, which indicate
that the situation is impossible in the first place.  Seeing as how the
assumptions, combined with the rules, lead to an impossible conclusion, it
seems to me more reasonable to challenge the correctness of the assumptions
than to invent an otherwise unspecified event (a building destruction) to
clean up the situation.

If the verdict of this CFJ is overturned to TRUE, then perhaps the Court
can also address the questions of how much land Vulcan owns and of how
its buildings are situated with respect to that land.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe

> 
> rufus failed to post what Phoebe said.  (Unless I missed it...)  She
> has been found by Balsamic Dragon.
> 

" you can call me... the Thin Man."  

"That's pretty good," said Phoebe.  "You don't write nearly as well as that
when you write my posts," she added.

"Yeah, I know.  I guess, well...  there's something I have to tell you,
Phoebe."

"What's that?"

"I'm actually an insectiphobe."

"Hmph!"

"It's not that I don't _like_ you or anything, its just that trying to
imagine a metal insect that could, like, chew through anything and is
intelligent, and can't be killed, and well...

"Well, what?"

"It gives me the willies."

"Hmmm, my wisdom is this,"  she said, "<ahem>, Go forth and read Archie and
Mehitable.  That should do it.  And all Ackanomian's likewise could benefit
from that as well."

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:34:40 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

*sigh*  Well, thank you for the apology :)  I can't really object to any
of your objections, except to state that if my interpretation is
incorrect, and Vulcan gets 12 kaas of land and an Extravagant building
every time they change their name, we have a problem ;)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked]
>[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 13, 1998 12:59 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re:  Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)
>
>
>>Clerk of the Courts
>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
>>Subject: Headquarters
>>Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
>>Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
>>Judgement: FALSE
>>
>>Statement:
>>
>>There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".
>
>I appeal this decision to the Supreme Court, and exercise my option to
>decline judgement upon it.
>
>Reasoning:
>
>I am not particularly concerned about whether Vulcan owns two Extravagant
>buildings or one.  The dynamics of entity creation and existence in
>Ackanomic do interest me, however, as does the interplay of rules and
>custom.  I think there are some issues to which the original judge did not
>give due consideration.  The verdict may well be correct, but I require
>more semi-official explanation as to why.  I apologize to Fortunato, in fact,
>for appealing this CFJ.
>
>
>
>I argue that a building named "Rule 1 is repealed.  #1 Headquarters" does,
>in fact, exist, as does another building named "Vulcan Headquarters,"
>both owned by Vulcan.
>
>Rule 1, at various times, said that the organization currently named Vulcan
>owned buildings named "Vulcan Headquarters" and "Rule 1 is repealed.  #1
>Headquarters".  It also said at all times that Vulcan owned 12 kaas of land.
>
>Rule 839 (Buildings) says that Buildings are entities, and rule 500 says
>that entities may only be created or destroyed as described in the rules.
>
>At the relevant times, rule 1 had precedence over rule 500, so that the
>buildings it stipulated to exist in Vulcan's possession could have been
>and were created without a specific description in the rules.  (One could
>also argue that these buildings somehow came into existence without being
>"created" for the purposes of R500.  I do not favor that interpretation,
>but the distinction is immaterial.)
>
>The previous judge's ruling makes (at least) two implicit assumptions that
>I think need to be scrutinized.
>
>1) Only one building may occupy any paricular kaa of land.
>2) The 12 kaas of land mentioned in rule 1 at all times referred to the
>   same land.
>
>Moreover, based on these assumptions, the previous judge apparently concluded
>that R500's restrictions on entity destruction were either satisfied or
>overruled. 
>
>(1) Seems natural, and may, in fact, be correct.  In my research, however,
>I did not find anything in the rules to support that position directly.  One
>might argue that for a building to "occupy" a particular kaa of land implies
>that it occupies it exclusively, but the rules also specify that buildings
>are locations, and players may be at locations.  If a player can share a kaa
>of land with a building, then why not two buildings?  (Perhaps one is inside
>the other.)
>
>(2) Rule 1 did/does not say that Vulcan owned _exactly_ twelve kaas of land.
>If one prefers that seperate buildings be on disjoint plots of land, rule 1
>could be interpreted to have granted Vulcan twelve _more_ plots of land to
>go with the new building.
>
>I also comment that these two assumptions are independant, in that even if
>more than one building may occupy the same land, rule 1 might still have
>granted Vulcan additional land for the new building.
>
>The original judge concluded, based on the above assumptions, that the rules
>required that Vulcan's building be destroyed and replaced with a new one
>each time Vulcan changed its name.  I can see some justification for that
>conclusion, _provided_ that I accept the assumptions.  Coming to such a
>conclusion, however, means determining that Rule 1 overrides rule 500 with
>respect to the destruction of entities.  This is different, and weaker, than
>the case for the creation of the buildings, in that Rule 1 at no time said
>that any of the buildings it previously created did not exist.  The conflict
>is that a situation seems to have been created which should not exist.
>
>It is only the judge's combination of assumptions, however, which indicate
>that the situation is impossible in the first place.  Seeing as how the
>assumptions, combined with the rules, lead to an impossible conclusion, it
>seems to me more reasonable to challenge the correctness of the assumptions
>than to invent an otherwise unspecified event (a building destruction) to
>clean up the situation.
>
>If the verdict of this CFJ is overturned to TRUE, then perhaps the Court
>can also address the questions of how much land Vulcan owns and of how
>its buildings are situated with respect to that land.
>
>
>
>ThinMan
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:42:29 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates (fwd)

Here is the original message in which the senate declared the list of
Silver Moon Candidates for Slakko's win.  They should be valid for any
time that Slakko won, up until this message was sent. :)

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 11:17:24 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: Ackanomic mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates

On the main list this time... :-)

Three members of the senate have voted in favor of the following
list of silver moon candidates; we have not yet heard from Balsamic
Dragon.  In some threads the voting period for the senate to produce
this list may have already ended, and in others it is just starting,
and in one thread I suppose it hasn't started at all.  In any case,
if the Silver Moon Committee has been called, this is the list of
candidates we produce:

1. The Parade Description most recently given by Calvin N Hobbes.
ftp://ftp.muppetlabs.com/pub/digests/ackanomic/98jan/v02.n484

2. Alfvaen's play of the card "time travel" in the most recently ended
YORL game.    http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackayorl.htm

3. A recent Phoebe post from else...if
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/phoebe.html#BM57

4. ThinMan's reading of a Scroll of Crumble on Mon, 8 Dec 1997.
ftp://ftp.muppetlabs.com/pub/digests/ackanomic/97dec/v02.n400

The YORL Game and Phoebe archive can be reached directly from the main
Acka page; the other URLs can be reached as follows:
  Take the link from the main page to the Postmaster's page.
  Take the link on the Postmaster's page to the FTP archive.
  Take the link on the FTP archive to ackanomic.
  Take the links for the month and digest you want.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:46:21 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

>*sigh*  Well, thank you for the apology :)  I can't really object to any
>of your objections, except to state that if my interpretation is
>incorrect, and Vulcan gets 12 kaas of land and an Extravagant building
>every time they change their name, we have a problem ;)

That depends on how you define "problem."  :-)

And seriously, this would not be even close to the first time that a
CFJ determined that we had a problem.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:48:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates (fwd)

> Here is the original message in which the senate declared the list of
> Silver Moon Candidates for Slakko's win.  They should be valid for any
> time that Slakko won, up until this message was sent. :)

This list can also be found at:

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/smc/

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:52:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Web-Harfin'

Before anybody else has a major go at rejigging the Ackanomic Main Web
Page of Alfvaen's in an attempt to secure themselves the job of
Web-Harfer, I thought I'd have a little go at it myself.

I'm in the process right now, so not everything is yet in place.
I've been separating old documents from new (but keeping related ones in
the same section still), and converting most of the lists to centred lists
along the lines of some of Alfvaen's later items.

I would appreciate some comments on how this look compares to the old
look, including whether you believe the document is appreciably easier to
navigate or not.

URL
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/alfindex.html

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:55:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates (fwd)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, in a message entitled "Re: Acka: Silver Moon
Candidates", Brian Raiter wrote:

> http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/smc/
> 
> breadbox

The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Please.

- -rico

If guns are outlawed, what will we shoot liberals with? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:02:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates (fwd)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Rico wrote:

> 
> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, in a message entitled "Re: Acka: Silver Moon
> Candidates", Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> > http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/smc/
> > 
> > breadbox
> 
> The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.

Indeed the Harf is back, here is your cap!

Note to Scorekeeper:

+36: Slagothor: got a winter cap cause the Harf was back

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:19:53 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Root vegetables

I am purchasing a magic radish from Balsamic dragon's vending machine.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:22:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Moon Candidates (fwd)

> > The Harf is back and I want a winter cap.
> 
> Indeed the Harf is back, here is your cap!

Wooooooooooooo-hoo!

CnH(arf)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:04:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Picking Up After the Shedding

If it is up for grabs, I wouldn't mind becoming the new Registrar.

Yours,
Slakko
el Presidente de Gumballo :-)
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:58:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Spender

>While I'm at it, I spend A$7 to buy a Magic Radish from it as well.
>Now, I believe that this means that A$4 goes into the Treasury and
>A$4 goes to Balsamic Dragon.  Where does the extra A$ come from?
>Does this mean that there is now A$100,001 in the Treasury?
	Impossible.  The treasury is defined as having A$100,000-(everyone
else's).

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:02:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Games & Contests submission confusion

I wanted to note something about the last G&C Suite addition, made by
Alfvaen. Here is the original message:

> This post consists of two parts.  The first part is a General Equipment
> submission:
> 
> 
> Add the following new General Equipment to the Games & Contests suite:
> 
> FOOTLOOSE
> V. Movie Database
> 
> a) URL: http://www.imdb.com/
> FOOTLOOSE
> 
> [...]

I've added the full text indicated as a new rule. I'm not sure that's
what was intended - it's rather ambiguous to me whether or not just
the delimited text was meant to be considered as the G&C submission.

This new rule apparently has no title, since Alfvaen gave no
indication of what its title should be. I considered the possibility
that its title might be "Nameless Thing #N", but that rule applies
specifically to entity names, and rules are nameless entities (even
though they have titles associated with them).

I'm guessing that Alfvaen may have intended something else by this,
but the above is how I read the rules involved.

breadbox
Rule-Harfer
trying to follow the rules, regardless of where they take us

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:06:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *that* room

I am entering The Vault of the Book, in search of forbidden knowledge.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:44:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 129

As Rule-Harfer, I hereby submit CSR 129, to wit:

  Renumber Rule 2682 ("The Chocolate Frog") to 1140.

As always, two objections within three days will cause the CSR to be
rejected.

breadbox
my first CSR - how exciting

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #22
******************************