Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #523
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Thursday, February 12 1998      Volume 03 : Number 523

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:06:04 -0500 (EST)
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Thursday, the 12th day of February, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 1 times.

Assuming I stilll have it.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:10:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, **Alexandre Muniz wrote:

> Today is Thursday, the 12th day of February, and the Machine That Goes
> *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
> gone *ping* 1 times.
> 
> Assuming I stilll have it.

I want the boon.  I don't want to diddle you out of the Machine.  I just
thought that it might have been automatic for such an error.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:40:23 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: snowgod's disease

Slakko has called a snowgod's hearing against else..if.  Text is quoted
below.

I don't have a ruleset in front of me, and can't go look at one, so I
don't know what the proper responses are, but I will take Yes and No, as
well as the rule-spec'd ones .

rufus 
Count Tabula 

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> > 3
> 
> Why not.  I am calling for a Public Health Emergency to contain the
> outbreak of snowgod's Disease that else...if is spreading. 
> 
> Count Tabula, do your stuff!
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
> Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
> Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:45:26 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: presidental election results.

Slakko by one:

K 2	Alfvaen
K 2	K 2
NO	/dev/joe
Slakko	Goldenmean
Slakko	NF
Slakko	Slagothor
Slakko	Slakko
Slakko	rufus
Slakko Fortunato
TGW	Guy Fawkes
TGW	Rex Mundi
TGW	TGW
TGW	Vynd
TGW	else...if

Congrats to our new pres!

rufus
Count Tabula

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:12:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> Slakko by one:

> NO	/dev/joe

So /dev/joe didn't want anyone being President?

Thank you to everyone, and my commiserations to the unfortunately defeated
other candidates.

I now commission the Poet Laureate to create a poem to commemorate
Ackanomic's Second Birthday last month.  I have no doubt that it was a
great moment in Ackanomic history.  This commission shall be required
within 14 days, rather than the usual seven.

In accordance with my moral statement during my candidacy, I hereby resign
as Senator for seat Rebus Squiggle.  

Yours,
Slakko
President "Gumball"
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - President, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer
.Nomic - Foreign Minister, Elector, HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:26:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

Slakko wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, David Scheidt wrote:
> > NO	/dev/joe
> 
> So /dev/joe didn't want anyone being President?

When I saw the list of candidates, I wished I had run myself, because
I didn't want any of them to be our President.

On the other hand, with an infamous Annoying person as president, maybe
we can have a repeat of the time snowgod was in Gaol and couldn't get out.
He was "A Gaoler trapped in his cell." ["Snowball in Hell", TMBG, though
they probably didn't spell it that way] :-)

[He was President and Gaoler, the two offices which can let people out of
Gaol early, but both these ensure that the office-holder can't let himself
out of Gaol.  I tried to get him to convince somebody else he had been
negotiating a Vending Machine trade with to give up and sell me the Vending
Machine, promising that if I got a Vending Machine I would let him out of
Gaol early -- not telling him I was planning on doing it by winning a
cycle... I never got *that* Vending Machine, and Niccolo Flychuck
eventually got him out using the Purple Key.]

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:33:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> When I saw the list of candidates, I wished I had run myself, because
> I didn't want any of them to be our President.
And you didn't run because ...

> 
> On the other hand, with an infamous Annoying person as president, maybe
> we can have a repeat of the time snowgod was in Gaol and couldn't get out.
> He was "A Gaoler trapped in his cell." ["Snowball in Hell", TMBG, though
> they probably didn't spell it that way] :-)

It's under appeal - I'm only allegedly Annoying.
:-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:43:56 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

Slakko wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > When I saw the list of candidates, I wished I had run myself, because
> > I didn't want any of them to be our President.
> And you didn't run because ...

My only excuse was that I was too busy; I know I saw the call for
candidates, but I didn't realize nobody was running that I cared to
vote for until it was too late.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:38:06 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

>K 2	Alfvaen
>K 2	K 2
>NO	/dev/joe
>Slakko	Goldenmean
>Slakko	NF
>Slakko	Slagothor
>Slakko	Slakko
>Slakko	rufus
>Slakko Fortunato
>TGW	Guy Fawkes
>TGW	Rex Mundi
>TGW	TGW
>TGW	Vynd
>TGW	else...if

Ooo, Another humiliating defeat :)

(I wonder what the record is?)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:58:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 536 (K 2)

K 2 has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 536 - February 12, 1998
Subject: Tornado Chess Piece
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 11, 1998, 11:46 a.m.)
Judge: K 2  (selected February 12, 1998, 3:00 p.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:

There exists a party chess piece tornado controlled by The Gingham Wearer.

Reasoning:

From rule 510:

"No Player, Undead, or Organization may use more A$'s to buy, trade, give
or in any way move out of his account, than there are in his/her account at
that moment in time. In other words, a player may never voluntarily go into
debt, but it is possible that a player may go into debt involuntarily."

From rule 1230.1

"D. A player or Organization may create a new Party Chess Piece of any
existing type for a Swinger. When this is done, the player or Organization
pays the piece cost to the Treasury, and the new piece is created,
off-board, in the possession of the specified Swinger. A new piece costs
A$1, plus A$7 times the material value of the piece. A King may not be
purchased in this way."

From my understanding of the above buying a party chess piece is not a
voluntary payment. What actually happens is that the player/org creates the
party chess piece. They then, as an involuntary action are forced to pay
for having created a piece. This is supported by the phrase "when this is
done" which, to me, indicates that the payment happens just after the
creation of the piece.

If you look at some of the other rules detailing purchase you will see that
their phrasing is quite different.

From rule 844

"A player may purchase a kaa of empty, common land for A$50."

From rule 1008

"Where the rules say that an Organization may buy a Power of a certain
type, what is meant is that the Organization may, as an action, contribute
an amount of currency to the Treasury in exchange for a new Power of the
type specified, which is then created in that Organization's possession."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:59:05 -0500 (EST)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

At 12:43 12/02/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Slakko wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>> 
>> > When I saw the list of candidates, I wished I had run myself, because
>> > I didn't want any of them to be our President.
>> And you didn't run because ...
>
>My only excuse was that I was too busy; I know I saw the call for
>candidates, but I didn't realize nobody was running that I cared to
>vote for until it was too late.
>
>/dev/joe
>
>
evidently a hard entity to please :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
Subject: Headquarters
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".

Initiators Reasoning:

I'm not really sure. I remember Slakko saying that there should, and some
arguments about the difference between a rule stating something exists and
something comes in to being, and whether or not it should be destroyed
after the rule changes or not. I feel we really ought to find out.

Judges Reasoning:

I couldn't find much precedent for this judgement, so I'm not on as firm
ground as I would like to be, but here goes:

When Vulcan's name was changed to Rule #1 is repealed. #1, it owned the
same entities it had owned originally.  In this case, the important
entities are 12 kaas of land and a building, named Rule #1 is repealed.
#1 Headquarters.  This organization also owned a building named Vulcan
Headquarters, but on the same 12 kaas of land.  Since Rule #1 is
repealed. #1 (R1R1) Headquarters was rule-sanctioned (by Rule 1, at the
time), I believe that it takes precedence over the ownership of Vulcan
Headquarters.  Therefore, the organization was only in possession of
R1R1 Headquarters.  At the point at which the name was changed back,
Vulcan Headquarters was rule-sanctioned, and therefore occupied the same
space; R1R1 Headquarters was destroyed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:04:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 537 (Crackfoo)

Crackfoo has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 537 - February 12, 1998
Subject: Vulcan Headquarters
Initiator: Vynd (sent February 11, 1998, 10:45 p.m.)
Judge: Crackfoo (selected February 12, 1998, 3:05 p.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:  An Extravagant building named Vulcan Headquarters exists.

Reasoning:  Well, I'm not really sure if this is true or not.  We had some
discussion about it, and I thought that someone said they did a CFJ, but I
never saw one.  In any event, I *think* that it exists, but this belief
comes from rather tenuous game custom.

It is more or less indisputed that Rule 1 created an Extravagant building
named Vulcan Headquarters (VHQ).  It is my belief that, once created, VHQ
is not destroyed unless something explicitly causes it to be destroyed.
This isn't an area that is directly addressed by the Rules, and there are
few other examples to draw from.  I can think of two, neither of which
quite directly address the issue at hand.

First of all, there is the Office of Godfather.  Malenkai took this office
while it was defined by a Rule (Organized Crime).  But then this Rule was
repealed.  Since that time, Malenkai has continued to be the Godfather,
albeit the office no longer has any game effect as the Rules that gave it
effect are gone.

Secondly, there are the Badges of Many Thanks.  A number of Acka's older
players possess these articles, which were given to them by Rule.  The
Rule which created them is long gone, but they continue to exist.

Other than this, there is simply the fact that nothing actually calls for
the destruction of the building.  There are rules that describe how
buildings can be destroyed, none of them apply in this case.  There was
never a proposal which caused Vulcan HQ to be destroyed.  The only reason
to think that it was destroyed is because the Rule that used to say it
exists no longer says this.  But as the above examples indicate, this does
not mean that the thing described by the Rule ceases to exist.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:05:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 535 (FALSE)

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 535 - February 10, 1998
Subject: Beavis and Guy Fawkes
Initiator: Guy Fawkes (sent February 9, 1998, 2:05 p.m.)
Judge: Vynd  (selected February 10, 1998, 9:00 a.m.)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:  Guy Fawkes is a butthead.

Initiators Reasoning:  The only use of the word "butthead" in the Rules is
in Rule
211, where it has sat since Proposal 575, explictly stating (albeit as a
note) that the CFJ statement "PlayerXXX is a butthead" is indeed valid.

Quite frankly, I have no idea whether or not I'm a butthead, nor do the
Rules provide any means for me to find out, nor do they entail what powers
or restrictions might apply to me if I were a butthead.  To top off this
amazing paucity of information on the subject, the Rules do not even do
the players the common courtesy of informing us whether a newly registered
player is or is not a butthead, or if some determinstic or stochaistic
method might be applied to determine such a status.

Nonetheless, the Rules insist that this CFJ's statement is valid, and can
be answered true or false.

So, I humbly petition the Ackanomic justice system to take this matter
under its [usually] wise consideration and let our dear game know whether
or not I am indeed a butthead.

Judge's Comments:  The text Guy Fawkes describes, "PlayerXXX is a
butthead", is contained within double brackets [].  It therefor lacks any
semantic meaning in the game.  So this phrase has no effect on anything,
its gibberish so far as the Rules are concerned.

Since there is no mention of the word butthead anywhere in the Rules
outside of brackets, it is unregulated.  That which is not regulated is
permissible, by Rule 101. So it is possible for Guy Fawkes to be a
butthead.  I have seen no evidence, however, that he has indeed taken, or
had thrust upon him, the descriptive of butthead.  Thus I rule this CFJ
FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RE: CFJ 153

Just a friendly reminder: as far as I know, CFJ 153 was appealed January
30, and is still awaiting judgment.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:19:41 -0500 (EST)
From: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 537 (Crackfoo)

I must decline to judge this cfj.

crackfoo

- -----Original Message-----
From: Vivian Norwood <[email-masked]>
To: Ackanomic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 2:04 PM
Subject: Acka: CFJ 537 (Crackfoo)

>Crackfoo has been selected.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 537 - February 12, 1998
>Subject: Vulcan Headquarters
>Initiator: Vynd (sent February 11, 1998, 10:45 p.m.)
>Judge: Crackfoo (selected February 12, 1998, 3:05 p.m.)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:  An Extravagant building named Vulcan Headquarters exists.
>
>Reasoning:  Well, I'm not really sure if this is true or not.  We had some
>discussion about it, and I thought that someone said they did a CFJ, but I
>never saw one.  In any event, I *think* that it exists, but this belief
>comes from rather tenuous game custom.
>
>It is more or less indisputed that Rule 1 created an Extravagant building
>named Vulcan Headquarters (VHQ).  It is my belief that, once created, VHQ
>is not destroyed unless something explicitly causes it to be destroyed.
>This isn't an area that is directly addressed by the Rules, and there are
>few other examples to draw from.  I can think of two, neither of which
>quite directly address the issue at hand.
>
>First of all, there is the Office of Godfather.  Malenkai took this office
>while it was defined by a Rule (Organized Crime).  But then this Rule was
>repealed.  Since that time, Malenkai has continued to be the Godfather,
>albeit the office no longer has any game effect as the Rules that gave it
>effect are gone.
>
>Secondly, there are the Badges of Many Thanks.  A number of Acka's older
>players possess these articles, which were given to them by Rule.  The
>Rule which created them is long gone, but they continue to exist.
>
>Other than this, there is simply the fact that nothing actually calls for
>the destruction of the building.  There are rules that describe how
>buildings can be destroyed, none of them apply in this case.  There was
>never a proposal which caused Vulcan HQ to be destroyed.  The only reason
>to think that it was destroyed is because the Rule that used to say it
>exists no longer says this.  But as the above examples indicate, this does
>not mean that the thing described by the Rule ceases to exist.
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:22:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 537 (Crackfoo)

>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 537 - February 12, 1998
>Subject: Vulcan Headquarters
>Initiator: Vynd (sent February 11, 1998, 10:45 p.m.)
>Judge: Crackfoo (selected February 12, 1998, 3:05 p.m.)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:  An Extravagant building named Vulcan Headquarters exists.

I observe that either rule 1 or rule 1150 says rather directly that the
CFJ statement is true.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:23:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 537 (/dev/joe)

Crackfoo has declined, /dev/joe has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 537 - February 12, 1998
Subject: Vulcan Headquarters
Initiator: Vynd (sent February 11, 1998, 10:45 p.m.)
Judge: Crackfoo (declined)
Second Judge: /dev/joe (selected February 12, 1998, 3:25 p.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:  An Extravagant building named Vulcan Headquarters exists.

Reasoning:  Well, I'm not really sure if this is true or not.  We had some
discussion about it, and I thought that someone said they did a CFJ, but I
never saw one.  In any event, I *think* that it exists, but this belief
comes from rather tenuous game custom.

It is more or less indisputed that Rule 1 created an Extravagant building
named Vulcan Headquarters (VHQ).  It is my belief that, once created, VHQ
is not destroyed unless something explicitly causes it to be destroyed.
This isn't an area that is directly addressed by the Rules, and there are
few other examples to draw from.  I can think of two, neither of which
quite directly address the issue at hand.

First of all, there is the Office of Godfather.  Malenkai took this office
while it was defined by a Rule (Organized Crime).  But then this Rule was
repealed.  Since that time, Malenkai has continued to be the Godfather,
albeit the office no longer has any game effect as the Rules that gave it
effect are gone.

Secondly, there are the Badges of Many Thanks.  A number of Acka's older
players possess these articles, which were given to them by Rule.  The
Rule which created them is long gone, but they continue to exist.

Other than this, there is simply the fact that nothing actually calls for
the destruction of the building.  There are rules that describe how
buildings can be destroyed, none of them apply in this case.  There was
never a proposal which caused Vulcan HQ to be destroyed.  The only reason
to think that it was destroyed is because the Rule that used to say it
exists no longer says this.  But as the above examples indicate, this does
not mean that the thing described by the Rule ceases to exist.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:50:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

Congratulations to our new president. I wish him all the best in his
term of office. I wish him few natural disasters and plenty of fun.

K2: That was not a humiliating result. Getting Alfvaen's support is, in
my book, one of the greatest vindications any president-to-be can get.

TGW: Looking at who voted for you, I know there is a future president of
Ackanomic in the making.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:57:01 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Public auction: Whamiol

I am starting a public auction for my Whamiol. The minimum bid is A$47.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:06:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfstuff

By R1136, remember to send your target player and word to the President
for the List-of-Harf!

As Harfmeister, I am declaring the following proposals to be Harfy:

P2711, by else...if, which is so long and involved, with so many
appropriate delimiters that it has to be Harfy.

P2713 and P2714 both by Rex Mundi. Go Rex Mundi!

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:09:33 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 537 (Crackfoo)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> 
> >Clerk of the Courts
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Call For Judgement 537 - February 12, 1998
> >Subject: Vulcan Headquarters
> >Initiator: Vynd (sent February 11, 1998, 10:45 p.m.)
> >Judge: Crackfoo (selected February 12, 1998, 3:05 p.m.)
> >Judgement:
> >
> >Statement:  An Extravagant building named Vulcan Headquarters exists.
> 
> I observe that either rule 1 or rule 1150 says rather directly that the
> CFJ statement is true.
> 
> 
> ThinMan
> 

Doh.  I started writing this awhile back, had to leave it for awhile,
forgot about, remembered it, dredged up the saved message, and well, you
see the results...

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:12:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public auction: Whamiol

I bid A$60.

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: The Gingham Wearer <[email-masked]>
> To: Acka <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Public auction: Whamiol
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 3:57 PM
> 
> I am starting a public auction for my Whamiol. The minimum bid is A$47.
> 
> 
> The Gingham Wearer.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:37:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Betting Pool

Only three players availed themselves of the opportunity to be involved in
the Grab-a-Donkey betting pool.

/dev/joe has 12
The Gingham Wearer has 13
Alfvaen has 16

So: 
<= 12: /dev/joe wins
13-14: TGW wins
>= 15: Alfvaen wins.

Yours,
Slakko
Unofficial Bookie

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:46:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> Congratulations to our new president. I wish him all the best in his
> term of office. I wish him few natural disasters and plenty of fun.

Thank you, and thank you for reminding everyone about the List Of Harf.

Remember - it costs you nothing to play, and there's a prize for everyone
who spots the right message!
> 
> K2: That was not a humiliating result. Getting Alfvaen's support is, in
> my book, one of the greatest vindications any president-to-be can get.

Certainly - possible president material in the terms to come.

> 
> TGW: Looking at who voted for you, I know there is a future president of
> Ackanomic in the making.

There's plenty of new blood around with the capabilities.
I would just like to say the following to /dev/joe about not being able to
vote for any of the candidates: Pshaw.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:59:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: And You Thought You Had Problems

Look at .Nomic - currently every player is winning an infinite number of
cycles every second.  And all because of one single typo that was
overlooked during the proposal's submission.

There is a fix out - I'm going to set the cycle number to omega+1.

.Nomic - the only game with an infinite number of cycles.

Yours,
Slakko
President "Gumball"

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:37:00 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RE: CFJ 153

> Just a friendly reminder: as far as I know, CFJ 153 was appealed January
> 30, and is still awaiting judgment.

I can't find an appeal for CFCJ 153(as I assume you mean) at all...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Warren Zevon:Run Straight Down
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Let us settle our indifferences.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:07:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: EBS

	I've been meaning to do this.  I pull the small lever on my Evil
Ballot Stuffer so that I will recieve an extra vote on hearings.  (In case
that refers to two different levers, I want the extra vote on hearings.)

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:31:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidential election results.

> There's plenty of new blood around with the capabilities.
> I would just like to say the following to /dev/joe about not being able
to
> vote for any of the candidates: Pshaw.

To which I would add tish and nonsense, not necessarily in that order.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:16:14 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: EBS

> 	I've been meaning to do this.  I pull the small lever on my Evil
> Ballot Stuffer so that I will recieve an extra vote on hearings.  (In case
> that refers to two different levers, I want the extra vote on hearings.)

This doesn't need to be done, actually.  At least, I've always presumed
that it just happened automatically when you send in a vote and note that
your EBS is voting that way too.  :-)  Of course, I've never had one...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
This joke is tired of laughing.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:16:12 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: EBS

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	I've been meaning to do this.  I pull the small lever on my Evil
> Ballot Stuffer so that I will recieve an extra vote on hearings.  (In case
> that refers to two different levers, I want the extra vote on hearings.)
> 
> --
> -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

Well, it could easily be the case that I have beenw rong all this time.
But if I am not, you have to pull the lever for your EBS each and every
time you want that extra vote.  And you can do it by informing the hearing
Harfer privately along with you vote.  You might notice that I do not
employ my EBS in every hearing I vote in...

                                 - Vynd, gonna check that blueprint

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:26:36 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: EBS

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > 	I've been meaning to do this.  I pull the small lever on my Evil
> > Ballot Stuffer so that I will recieve an extra vote on hearings.  (In case
> > that refers to two different levers, I want the extra vote on hearings.)
> 
> This doesn't need to be done, actually.  At least, I've always presumed
> that it just happened automatically when you send in a vote and note that
> your EBS is voting that way too.  :-)  Of course, I've never had one...
> 

Nope, I checked.  If you have an EBS you have the option of, when
announcing your vote in a hearing or election, that one is flipping the
small lever on the EBS, thereby causing the EBS to vote identically to
yourself.

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:51:08 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: EBS

> Nope, I checked.  If you have an EBS you have the option of, when
> announcing your vote in a hearing or election, that one is flipping the
> small lever on the EBS, thereby causing the EBS to vote identically to
> yourself.

So your EBS can't vote the opposite way, just to cancel your vote out?
That's no good.  Gotta fix that.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Gary Glitter:Rock And Roll Part 2
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
We meet with friends, we talk carcinogens

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:27:11 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Shedding

Since we now have a new President, and I think a few more people who are
willing to take on a bit more of the harfing of the game, I'm going to
start trying to pass on some of the Offices I've been holding for a while,
some of them since July(when hardly anybody else even volunteered for
them).

If anyone has a real hankering for _any_ of the Offices I'm holding, then
let me know or announce it here.  Except perhaps for Scorekeeper, which I
would still like to remain, and of course Speaker.  :-)

To begin with, I am announcing my intention to resign as Trinket-Harfer.
(That is, I'm not resigning right now, but a Nomination can still begin.)
This doesn't involve too much, really just maintaining the Trinket page
and such.  Read Rule 428 for more details.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Drivin' 'N' Cryin':Whisper Tames The Lion
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
'She's a three-handed woman--right-handed, left-handed, and underhanded.'

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:43:14 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Big Spender

I hereby spend A$180 to buy 30 Rocks To Wind A String Around from
Balsamic Dragon's Vending Machine.  (Since nobody else spoke up or
lowered their rates or anything...:-)

While I'm at it, I spend A$7 to buy a Magic Radish from it as well.
Now, I believe that this means that A$4 goes into the Treasury and
A$4 goes to Balsamic Dragon.  Where does the extra A$ come from?
Does this mean that there is now A$100,001 in the Treasury?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Gene Loves Jezebel:Discover
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
History repeats itself because nobody listens.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #523
*******************************