Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #512
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, February 6 1998       Volume 03 : Number 512

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:56:38 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Bronze Torch

I would like to announce that now that the verdict of CFJ 484 cannot be
appealed any longer, Vynd has returned eir 15th correct judgement(after
being upheld by the Supreme Court)and so may be awarded with a Bronze
Torch.  I do so without further delay.  Congratulations, Vynd!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Dark Side of The Moon
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
You will cease issuing ultimatums, or else.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:02:20 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

> I'm interested in joining the Treasure Hunting Society.

> I hereby give A$5 to Alfvaen to cover my share of the SHF.

Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
can join.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Dark Side of The Moon
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
"Please flabellate only after the sound of the corroboree."  --Scott Ellis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:05:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

>Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
>Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
>For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
>can join.

I'll join. And I donote A$5 to Alfvaen.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:06:55 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: More Treasure!

I join the Treasure-Hunting League.
If I have A$5, I give it to Alfvaen (I haven't checked the Entity page
recently, and I *was* Hosed for a while... :))

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 06, 1998 2:02 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: More Treasure!
>
> 
>> I'm interested in joining the Treasure Hunting Society.
>
>> I hereby give A$5 to Alfvaen to cover my share of the SHF.
>
>Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
>Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
>For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
>can join.
>
>
>--
>--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
>Current Album--Pink Floyd:Dark Side of The Moon
>Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
>"Please flabellate only after the sound of the corroboree."  --Scott Ellis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:07:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

>  
> > I'm interested in joining the Treasure Hunting Society.
> 
> > I hereby give A$5 to Alfvaen to cover my share of the SHF.
> 
> Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> can join.

I join the Treasure-Hunting League.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:10:52 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

I transfer A$5 to Alfvaen.
I request membership in the Treasure-Hunting League.

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Aaron V. Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 3:02 PM
> 
>  
> > I'm interested in joining the Treasure Hunting Society.
> 
> > I hereby give A$5 to Alfvaen to cover my share of the SHF.
> 
> Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> can join.
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Pink Floyd:Dark Side of The Moon
> Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
> "Please flabellate only after the sound of the corroboree."  --Scott Ellis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:11:53 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

> Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
> immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
> Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
> correspondence is [email-masked].
> 
> Would the registrar please take note.
> 
> Guy Fawkes  

Welcome back, Elder Guy Fawkes.

/dev/joe
Still here :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:13:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

> > Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> > Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> > For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> > can join.

I, too, join the Treasure-Hunting League and donate the customary A$5 to
Alfvaen.  (If this rampant generosity continues, Alfvaen, you'll soon have
far more than the A$25 you originally spent.)

- -rico

What's another word for thesaurus? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:17:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

Alfvaen wrote:
> Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> can join.

I join the Treasure-Hunting League.

By the way, the most recent issue of Games Magazine (April 98 issue) has
a hidden contest, so the Games T-shirt is once-again findable.  I have
not found it yet myself.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:30:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Treasure RFC

You know, I submitted an answer to that treausre contest a _long_ time ago
and nothing ever came of it.  I should have submitted a CFJ, but instead
I'll do an RFC without giving the whole story away.

I attended a gaming convention called DexCon II in New Jersey a number of
years ago.  Games Magazine was one of the major sponsers.  They had a
hidden contest, i.e., a contest hidden _somewhere in the hotel_!  I found
and won it, and am now the proud owner of a _real_ Games T-Shirt!  I posted
a message about this a while ago, detailing the contest and the solution
(well, these things really don't have solutions per se, you simply have to
find them.)  

What do you think, should this count?

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Joseph W. DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 3:17 PM
> 
> Alfvaen wrote:
> > Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> > Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> > For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> > can join.
> 
> I join the Treasure-Hunting League.
> 
> By the way, the most recent issue of Games Magazine (April 98 issue) has
> a hidden contest, so the Games T-shirt is once-again findable.  I have
> not found it yet myself.
> 
> /dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:44:52 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Treasure RFC

Balsamic Dragon wrote:
> I attended a gaming convention called DexCon II in New Jersey a number of
> years ago.  Games Magazine was one of the major sponsers.  They had a
> hidden contest, i.e., a contest hidden _somewhere in the hotel_!  I found
> and won it, and am now the proud owner of a _real_ Games T-Shirt!  I posted
> a message about this a while ago, detailing the contest and the solution
> (well, these things really don't have solutions per se, you simply have to
> find them.)  
> 
> What do you think, should this count?

The map to that treasure was:

* When a player publicly posts the location of a GAMES Magazine Hidden
* Contest which has never been publicly posted before, and does so at
* least one week before the end (in New York City) of the day entries
* are due for that contest, e shall find this treasure.
* Players are asked to put SPOILER warnings in the subject of such
* messages so that others who haven't yet given up may keep searching.

While I didn't intend for this to apply to Games Magazine hidden contests
located places other than in the magazine (!), something like this *could*
qualify, but I don't think this qualifies -- at least because of the
requirement that the answer be posted before the entry deadline.  Surely
the entries for this contest had to be in by the end of the convention,
and as you said, it happened years ago, while this treasure has only been
buried since August.

Congrats on the T-shirt, though; all these years and I've never managed
to win one.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:55:18 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Yeeeeee-haw!

If the subject line sent shivers down your spine, it's well that it did,
'cause it's time for a fun-filled, thrill-packed, hard-riding game of
Grab-A-Donkey!

A couple of notes, first off.  If you don't want to play, you can ignore
the rest of the messages, or resign in the first round, depending on
whether you want someone to be able to snatch your donkey.  Second, this
message is going to the main list because everyone is a player.  All
further messages will go to acka-games, to spare the non-players.
Finally, I was trying to wait until the calmest time I could to start
this, but I decided I'd have to wait for a long time.  Wranglers don't
like waiting ;)

I announce the start of Round 1.  Reply to this message with your move.
The current GAL is:

Alfvaen
Balsamic Dragon
Bill the pirate king
breadbox
Calvin N Hobbes
Crackfoo
Device
/dev/joe
else...if
The Gingham Wearer
Goldenmean
Guy Fawkes (Welcome back!)
Hachiman
Hoover 2300
Illusion
K 2
Karma
Malenkai
Niccolo Flychuck
Red Barn
Rex Mundi
Robert Sevin
rufus
Slagothor
Slakko
ThinMan
two-star
Vynd

28, that's quite a few :)  Good luck, players!  (For those of you who
haven't played, the Rule describing GAD is number 1213).

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:58:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: voting

Does the tabulator currently have a voting-bot, and if so, what format
does it use?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:59:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Treasure RFC

Yeah, you are right, I forgot about that last clause!  I'll just have to
pick up this week's issue, asap.

If anyone is interested, the contest I won was printed in very small font,
laminated, and hidden among the instructions for using one of the
telephones in the hotel lobby!  It said "You have found the GAMES Magazine
Hidden Contest.  Go to the registration desk and sing the national anthem."
 This I did, accompanied by Onieros on kazoo.  The people at the
registration desk were very confused.

Balsamic Dragon

> The map to that treasure was:
> 
> * When a player publicly posts the location of a GAMES Magazine Hidden
> * Contest which has never been publicly posted before, and does so at
> * least one week before the end (in New York City) of the day entries
> * are due for that contest, e shall find this treasure.
> * Players are asked to put SPOILER warnings in the subject of such
> * messages so that others who haven't yet given up may keep searching.
> 
> While I didn't intend for this to apply to Games Magazine hidden contests
> located places other than in the magazine (!), something like this
*could*
> qualify, but I don't think this qualifies -- at least because of the
> requirement that the answer be posted before the entry deadline.  Surely
> the entries for this contest had to be in by the end of the convention,
> and as you said, it happened years ago, while this treasure has only been
> buried since August.
> 
> Congrats on the T-shirt, though; all these years and I've never managed
> to win one.
> 
> /dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:12:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Coincidence?

Harfing through the Harf project link, one of the Harf images was on the
site of one Andrew Muetchler (sorry if I mangled his surname) - who I
remember from alt.tv.animaniacs!
Harf or false - you make the call.

This actually put me onto a damn fine comic - Kevin & Kell.
For more info email me :-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:17:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: voting

Welcome back once again, Guy Fawkes. Good to have to here.

I want you to know, by the way, that I was very sorry to have to rule
CFJ 461 False. Nothing would have given me more amusement than to
finally have you claim your long-sought-after successful Paradox Win
posthumously. It was unfortunately not to be, but I think it was
perhaps the closest you ever came to such.

> Does the tabulator currently have a voting-bot, and if so, what
> format does it use?

I have half of a bot, and I hope to have a full one as soon as the
game calms down enough to permit the time to continue work on it.

The email address is [email-masked], and the syntax is pretty
much unchanged. (Note that I'm not doing automated retractions, though
- - I think that caused too many problems for Mohammed, with people
forgetting to send either the command or the public statement.)

Here is a copy of the terse little help file that I put together for
the time being. By the way, I encourage all of the mentors to keep a
copy of this around, so that they can give it to their students.

breadbox
Promoter
Tabulator
Rule-Harfer
and so much more

________________________________________________________________

A Quick Rundown On Doing Business With Your Faithful Promoter/Tabulator

   First of all, you'll note that in all the instructions listed
   below, the email address for everything is [email-masked],
   rather than [email-masked]. This address actually maps to
   a special directory which I go through by hand on a regular
   basis. (And soon I'll have a nomicbot program doing all of that.)
   (No, really.) Please use this address, as it really helps me keep
   my burgeoning ackanomic mailbox that much more organized.

   Also, note that all commands go in the email message itself, not in
   the subject line.

*  Sending a proposal to the Promoter:

   Send email to [email-masked] that looks something like
   the following:

#submit proposal This is the Title of My Brilliant Proposal
Create a Rule numbered 9999, titled "This is the Title of My Brilliant
Rule", which reads as follows:

The technique used in Proposal 1727 shall henceforth be known as
"breadbox's scam", and all references to such a technique shall use
this term preferentially. Calling it anything else is a Crime.

{{[The reason for this proposal is that I'm jealous of Malenkai!!!!
How come he gets a loophole named after him and I don't?!!! Hey, I won
a Silver Moon for that scam!!!! (Even though it didn't work!!!!) I
WANT MORE!!!!]}}
#end proposal

   In short, everything on the same line as the "#submit proposal"
   becomes the title, and everything after that becomes the proposal
   itself.

   The "#end proposal" is only needed if there's other stuff in your
   email after the body of the proposal. (Email signatures will be
   automatically ignored, but only if they have the required
   dash-dash-space separator line.)

*  Sending your votes to the Tabulator:

   Send email to [email-masked] that looks something like
   this:

#vote 3310 y
#vote 3311 n
#vote 3313 p

   Or like this:

#vote 3310 YES
#vote 3311 no
#vote 3313 pReSeNt

   Or like this:

#vote 3310 y N - p

   Whatever you prefer.

*  Checking your voting status:

   Send email to (that's right) [email-masked] that says:

#current

   I'll tell you what proposals are currently up for voting and how
   you've voted on them so far.

*  Other voting actions:

   To bribe Tammany, use a command that looks like this:

#tammany 3312 n 75

   (This example offers Tammany A$75 to vote NO on Proposal 3312.)

   To use a Bonus Vote:

#bonusvote 3312 y

   (Pretty much like a normal vote with the word "bonus" added.)

   If you send a badly formatted command, I will sometimes correct it
   for you. However, I don't always catch people's mistakes, so
   double-check your submission, particularly if you are voting on any
   proposals that have less than a day left in their voting period.

   Generally, I will only send you a reply if I find mistakes in your
   submission that appear accidental. (Like voting for proposals that
   are over a month old, for example.) When I have a fully-functional
   bot, it will send confirmation replies to every submission.

   If you can't remember how a command goes, and for some reason you
   can't look it up, then just write it in plain, unambiguous English
   and send it to [email-masked]. I'll understand.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:42:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess RFC Part II

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> Likewise. What's the point of playing without a king? Personally, I think
> it might be an idea to FORCE players to place theirkings. How about if
> when a player becomes a swinger, at the same time as receiving eir 5
> pieces, e has to place eir king and one other piece. That would also allow
> the new player to get into the game more easily.

I think the existing rules are more than enough incentive to play with an
on-board king.
Placing a King right away might force a Swinger into a position where e
can't secure eir position or king later.

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> 
> The Gingham Wearer.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:55:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

Welcome Back Guy Fawkes.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
> immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
> Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
> correspondence is [email-masked].
> 
> Would the registrar please take note.
> 
> Guy Fawkes  
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 17:33:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: If Only I'd Thought About It

Alfvaen said he was going to vote against 2694 because of its
wide application.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have retracted it to fix it.
After all, I could have ensured Alfvaen voted for it.
That would have been fuuunnnnn.
:-)

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 17:48:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anyone Interested?

>Sure!  Me and Bill the pirate king came up with a bunch of stuff on The
>Gingham Wearer's last treasure, but then got stuck.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!
	I am too.  (Hey!  I helped with TGW's treasure too!)  I join the
Treasure-Hunting League and transfer A$5 to Alvaen.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 18:07:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Treasure!

> Thank you, Slakko, for your generosity.  I hereby pay A$25 to the
> Treasury and create an organization called the Treasure-Hunting League.
> For now I will give it an open membership policy so anyone interested
> can join.

I suppose I ought to try to get the treasure page up to date, then,
shouldn't I :-)? I've got a fair bit of maintenance to do on the gallery
too, what with Guy Fawkes rejoining, Malenkai (possibly) returning, and
Hachiman and Illusion joining. Not that I'm disorganised or anything :-).
Alfvaen, you must be mad to do all this harfing. You too breadbox. Well
done you guys, and keep it up.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 18:34:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anyone Interested?

> I am considering forming an organization called the Treasure-Hunting
> League.  Its members would be dedicated to the cooperative decipherment
> of Treasure Maps and the sharing of Treasure found.  This could be
> handled through Contracts or on the honour system, as desired in each
> individual case.  Map Writers and Custodians would not be excluded, of
> course, but obviously shouldn't just give away the maps to their
> treasures.

I am announcing a new RoJ protocol (not like it matters).  In the old
days, I e-mailed the stone's contents on transfer.  Now, if you have
a stone and want to know its contents, e-mail me.  Don't everyone
jump at once :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 19:26:59 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bronze Torch

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I would like to announce that now that the verdict of CFJ 484 cannot be
> appealed any longer, Vynd has returned eir 15th correct judgement(after
> being upheld by the Supreme Court)and so may be awarded with a Bronze
> Torch.  I do so without further delay.  Congratulations, Vynd!
> 
> 

Thank you Alfvaen!  I pick up my Bronze Torch, almost immediately a
powerful beam of red light shoots out of it, 5 feet in length.  I wave it
around and it makes a loud humming noise.

When I left I was but the student, now I am the master!  You, all of you,
will soon join me.  It is your... destiny...

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #512
*******************************