Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #511
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, February 6 1998       Volume 03 : Number 511

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:00:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2664 accepted

> I don't know why we seem to be having trouble amending the
> Frankenstein Monster rule in particular, but this is a Null Proposal.

But luckily Rule 207 has been amended, so Whamiol owners still get
points from Illusion's Activation...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Madonna:Like A Virgin
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
Let us now beat swords into dead horses

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 531 (hoover 2300)

> > I resign as clerk of courts because I am caught in between a loophole.

> > hoover 2300

> Isn't this illegal? Impossible actions were last time I looked and
> resigning from a position you don't hold sounds pretty impossible to me.

I think that Hoover 2300 has gotten confused between being a Judge and
being Clerk of the Courts.

Hoo, if you can't figure out how to judge this one, then rule it
UNDECIDED and let it go straight to the Supreme Court.  That'll save
somebody appealing anyway.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Madonna:Like A Virgin
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
James Brown: I've fallen and I can't get down

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:03:32 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Gaolbird

> Did I ever attempt to create Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice?
> I can't seem to remember doing that.

It was when you announced you were going to consider offers for it.
I'd missed it at first, but you do actually say that you are creating
Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice.  Typically, it was just after I had
actually put it into the entitylog that I saw breadbox's message about
you having been in Gaol.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Melissa Etheridge:My Back Door
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
Testostaroni--the _real_ San Francisco treat!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:06:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2670 accepted

> Now, I hereby offer my big bowl of letturc around to everyone.  There's
> plenty of letturc for all - cos letturc, iceberg letturc, even that kind
> of letturc with the really bitter leaves for the people who like that sort
> of thing.  Basically, I'm just so pleased at finally having this passed
> that I've decided that it was about time I threw this letturc party.
> Everyone is invited, there's no need to crowd, and there's plenty of
> letturc for everyone.  Remember that - letturc, lots of letturc for
> everyone.

> Oh dear.  I think I meant to say lettuce where I typed letturc.

> Oh well :-)

I'll have to send you a few letturc about that; there seem to be a few
letturc screwed up on your keyboard.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Sass Jordan:Stranger Than Paradise
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
'Cause it's my destiny to be the King of Spain...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:12:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2670 accepted

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Now, I hereby offer my big bowl of letturc around to everyone.  There's
> > plenty of letturc for all - cos letturc, iceberg letturc, even that kind
> > of letturc with the really bitter leaves for the people who like that sort
> > of thing.  Basically, I'm just so pleased at finally having this passed
> > that I've decided that it was about time I threw this letturc party.
> > Everyone is invited, there's no need to crowd, and there's plenty of
> > letturc for everyone.  Remember that - letturc, lots of letturc for
> > everyone.
> 
> > Oh dear.  I think I meant to say lettuce where I typed letturc.
> 
> > Oh well :-)
> 
> I'll have to send you a few letturc about that; there seem to be a few
> letturc screwed up on your keyboard.
> 

Letturc pray that this is the end of the letturc chain.

- -rico

For any complex problem, there exists a solution that is simple, neat, 
and wrong. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 02:56:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Pointless Treasure Question

I believe that I have found the answer to Harf, the Universe and
Everything.  My score is the answer - it is 42.

Do I get the Treasure now? :-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:48:17 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 531 (hoover 2300)

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > > I resign as clerk of courts because I am caught in between a loophole.
> 
> > > hoover 2300
> 
> > Isn't this illegal? Impossible actions were last time I looked and
> > resigning from a position you don't hold sounds pretty impossible to me.
> 
> I think that Hoover 2300 has gotten confused between being a Judge and
> being Clerk of the Courts.
> 
> Hoo, if you can't figure out how to judge this one, then rule it
>  and let it go straight to the Supreme Court.  That'll save
> somebody appealing anyway.  :-)
> 
ah white 
UNDECIDED
________________________________________________________________________________________
"you think I don't know?"
"That which is makeing you cold!"
"That which warms you up you create a sense of clear headed thinking
away from the bitterness and chatter"

Hey did you hear?
A comet is coming to destroy some earth!
Ain't that pretty?
The time to panic is that time when the Government decides to tell
all about the missing planet and the Annunki.

Hoover 2300

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:16:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess RFC Part II

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:
> 
> > You already have a reason to place your king. You only have a weight if
> > your king is on board. You can only get swingpoints if you have a weight.
> > Place your king and you'll start getting swingpoints. Having a weight is
> > also particularly useful during a free for all for those with fewer than
> > five pieces (e.g. us!) because you only have to wait two days between
> > moves. Incidentally, I like the RFC idea as well.
> 
> "Only an enemy without honourrefuses to show himself in battle."
> - -- Klingon proverb
> 
> I'm thinking of amending King Capture so that you can't do it unless your
> King is on the board too.  Any supporters?

Yes. Definitely.

The  whole idea behind things such as Weight 0 for Swinger with no
on-board King, and other such exclusive was to provide a strong
disincentive to leave the King off-board, and therefore immune from check.
This is in the same spirit, and I think it is a good idea.
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:22:01 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Secret Lab

I suggest that The Moral Kiosk create a Spell Book of Chorg.

I approve of this suggestion.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:24:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 533 (Fortunato)

Fortunato has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
Subject: Headquarters
Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
Judgement:

Statement:

There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".

Reasoning:

I'm not really sure. I remember Slakko saying that there should, and some
arguments about the difference between a rule stating something exists and
something comes in to being, and whether or not it should be destroyed
after the rule changes or not. I feel we really ought to find out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:30:47 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (Fortunato)

I accept, with a tiny, sarcastic voice in the back of my mind going,
"Whee!"

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Vivian Norwood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 06, 1998 9:24 AM
>To:	Ackanomic
>Subject:	Acka: CFJ 533 (Fortunato)
>
>Fortunato has been selected.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
>Subject: Headquarters
>Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
>Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:50:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 531 (UNDECIDED)

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 531 - February 3, 1998
Subject: Malenkai Win Attempt
Initiator: Malenkai (sent February 3, 1998, 12:29 p.m.)
Judge: hoover 2300 (selected February 3, 1998, 11:50 p.m.)
Judgement:  UNDECIDED

Statement:

Malenkai won a Cycle of Ackanomic on February 3rd, 1998.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Before rule 101 was amended to its current form by proposal
2637, it said, in part:

> The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in
> the rules.

Rule 500 describes what is and is not an entity.  In particular,
a thing is not an entity unless the rules say it is.  Thus the
game state was not an entity before proposal 2637 was accepted.  

Proposal 2637 did not describe a way to change the game state
from non-entityhood to entityhood, nor has any other rule or
proposal.  The fine point here is that the game state may only
be changed as described in the rules; transformation from
non-entityhood to entityhood is a change; and the rules do not
(nor did they) describe the process of this change, therefore 
it has yet to occur.

This could mean any number of things: 

a) The way rule 101 was harfed with the acceptance of
proposal 2637, what it says is false.  I find this completely
unreasonable.  The rules are true by definition.

b) Proposal 2637 failed in its attempted amendment, and the Rule
Harfer incorrectly represented the effects on the web page.
This is possible, but unlikely, especially when another interpretation
(provided below) exists that allows the amendment to have 
occurred as harfed.  Moreover, the rules do not really provide
a way to discard this amendment, unless it is ambiguous.  It
was clear.

c) There is a paradox here for the clever player, or the game has
crashed, in the fact that the game state is not an entity while 
rule 101 claims it is.  While this is possible, (indeed, the rules
claiming the game state is an entity may cause other problems), 
I believe that if this is the case, then it really doesn't matter 
whether or not I won in fact, because I have in principle (ie, I could
waste time with the other CFJ to cover the crash/paradox case; if
true, the game be unplayable at this point, so what is the point). 
 
There is only one reasonable interpretation of what actually happened
when rule 101 was amended by proposal 2637 that does not wreak havoc
with the above.  Before P2637, "game state" meant the complete collection
of all game state variables.  Now, it means some entity in the treasury,
but it therefore does NOT mean the complete collection of game state
variables, because we have already proven that that was NOT changed to
entityhood, because the rules did not describe a process by which it
was, in fact, transformed to entityhood.

Given that, a few things become unregulated and unprohibited.
In particular, creation of Swingpoints is now unregulated and
thus permitted (the only thing stopping their unregulated creation
before the fact that the collection of game state variables, of
which a player's Swingpoints is one, could only be changed as described
in the rules; this prohibition no longer exists).  I note that this 
is not true of A$ and points.  The rules explictly prohibit the act
of creating A$, and rule 668 describes a way to change your score.
Fortunately, the rules do not regulate creation and changing of
Swingpoint totals.

Thus, the creation and conversion of all those Swingpoints was
successful, and it gave me enough points for a point win.

Summary:

a) before P2637, the game state can only be changed as described
in the rules.  Here, 'game state' has customarily been construed
to mean the complete collection of Acka game state variables.

b) 'game state' is not an entity by rule 500.

c) p2637 claims 'game state' is an entity.  However, the rules
did not describe a way to change 'game state' to entity,
therefore 'collection of state variables' did not become an
entity when p2637 passed.  (A key point here is that proposals
are applied as described in the rules at the time they are
applied, even if the proposal changes those descriptions.
For example, if a proposal created a rule that required the
Rule Harfer to post the string 'xyzzy' everytime e applied a
proposal, e would not be required to post 'xyzzy' when harfing
*that* rule change).

d) after p2637 passed, the prohibition on changing 'collection
of state variables' was removed from rule 101.  Some thing
in the treasury now cannot be changed except as described in the
rules, but that thing is not 'collection of state variables'.

e) Many things remain regulated, because those actions are still
described in the rules, or the rules are explicit.  This is true
of points and A$, but NOT of Swingpoints.

f) With the prohibition on changing 'collection of state variables'
gone, in the cases where the change is unregulated, as in Swingpoints,
it becomes permitted, by rule 101, thus the creation is done by
this loophole; the conversion and win by traditional rules.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:51:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 526 (TRUE (upheld))

Call For Judgement 526
Subject: Cycle Win
Initiator: Slakko
Judge: rufus
Judgement: TRUE
Appealed by Malenkai
Judgement: TRUE (uphold)

Statement:

Slakko has won a Cycle of Ackanomic.

Initiator's Comments:

The Chrome Streak Agenda Hat has been trivially TRUE.
The Attributes Agenda Hat is currently true, if you accept that titles
are attributes and membership of organizations are attributes. You don't
even need to worry about trinkets.
This only leaves the misspellings.

I have submitted upwards of 30 messages containing the text "letturc".
Upwards of 10 of these have included at least 10 instances of
deliberately misspelled words, which could be corrected to more than one
English word, and are hence ambiguously misspelled words (and therefore
not subject to Rule 340). According to the definitions in the second of
the fictionary dictionaries, which I omit here for brevity (and because
I'm frankly sick of them by now) "letturc" is a word when it is included
as part of a sentence. It is ambiguous because I have stated two ways in
which it can be corrected. However, in one message I stated exactly what
"letturc" should be taken to mean. Therefore it did have a "correct" form
- - namely the word lettuce. In that message, I used "letturc" ten times.
Lettuce has seven letters, a prime number of letters. So there were at
least 10 misspelled words in that message, all of which contain a prime
number of letters when in their proper form.

Therefore the misspelling hat is TRUE.

Therefore all three Agenda Hats have been true simultaneously at some
point in the fortnight immediately prior to the announcement of this CFJ.

Therefore Slakko has won a Cycle of Ackanomic.

Judge's Comments:

More or less what he said. Two big points really, first all spelling
errors are ambiguous; second, messages sent to the lists need not make
sense.

Appealer's Comments:

I'd like the Court to take a closer look at 'attributes on the
Player/Entity page'. Throughout the whole discussion, that seemed the
most dubious, and I personally do not feel it has been satisfied, but
will accept the Court's stamp of approval or disapproval in any case.

Supreme Court's Comments:

The "Attributes Agenda Hat" says that the player must have fifteen or
more attributes listed on the Player/Entity page, a web page that is
currently maintained by the Speaker/Financier/Web-Harfer. On this page
are listed data such as the players' possessions, titles,
organizational memberships, and much other information that is
necessary or useful to tracking the game state. Which of these data,
if any, are "attributes"?

Since the word does not have a particular meaning inherited from the
rules or game custom, standard English meaning must provide the
answer. But the problem with this approach is that it provides far too
much meaning; that is, the word "attribute" is used in many ways, in
many different contexts, to provide a wide variety of distinctions.

For example, one Justice of the Court favors the idea that
"attributes" refers to the adjectival descriptions that the rules
occasionally bestow upon players, usually with the phrasing "The
player is said to be...." This would include "silly", "foolish",
"Weird", "Really Weird", "Enlightened", and "Guilty of Patent
Infringement". However, there is no good reason to accept these but
not accept Titles - which are also bestowed upon players by the rules,
and which hardly differ from the previous descriptions, except in
name. Titles, in turn, can be argued to be extremely similar to
Offices being held. And if Offices count, then really, why not
organizational memberships? And so on.

When faced with such a slippery slope, the Court has found, in the
past, that there is rarely a middle ground that can be objectively
defended by argument, and the best thing to do is to side with one of
the two extremes. In this case, that would mean that either nothing on
the Player/Entity web page is an attribute, or everything is.
   
The only real argument for the first choice is that the rules do not
define the term "attribute", and so nothing can be an attribute until
the rules define it. The Court finds this argument unsatisfying, and
somewhat against the spirit of the game. The second choice seems more
in keeping with the highly inclusive nature of the word's definition.
The actual contents of the Player/Entity page are essentially
unregulated by the rules. In the end, it seems fair to argue that, for
the purposes of this Agenda Hat, a player attribute on the
Player/Entity web page is simply anything that the current maintainer
considers important enough to list there.

By this definition, Slakko has the number of attributes required to
satisfy the Agenda Hat.

This leaves the now-notorious question of the misspellings. The
requirement is to post a message with no less than ten misspelled
words, all of which have a prime number of letters when spelled
correctly. In an attempt to keep this brief, the Court will only
review two of Slakko's messages, and hopefully the interested reader
can infer from them the reasoning used to judge the remaining ones.

This message was posted at Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:41:

> letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc
> letturc mkssage
> 
> Happy now?

The Court does not believe this fulfills the requirement. Without
sentence structure, or indeed context of any sort, there is no reason
to believe that these are even misspelled words, much less words with
a prime number of letters. The message makes just as much sense as it
is - specifically, none at all - than it does by treating "letturc" as
a misspelling of "letters" (or "letter", "lettres", "lettuce",
"lattice", etc).

The second message was posted at Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:54, and read in
part:

> [...] I claim that my use of the text "letturc letturc letturc
> letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc" in this
> sentence, each instance of the text "letturc" as it occurs within
> this paragraph meaning either lettuce or letters but not both, is a
> blatant attempt to win....

Here, the surrounding context makes it clear (in a vacuously direct
fashion), that the repeated word "letturc" is in fact a misspelling,
and that the word, when correctly spelled, has seven letters. The fact
that it cannot be determined from context which word was the correct
word means that all instances of "letturc" are ambiguous for the
purposes of Rule 340, and cannot be treated as being correctly
spelled. We do not know what the correctly spelled words are, but we
do know that they exist, and that they each have a prime number of
letters.

Thus the Court believes that at this time Slakko fulfilled the
condition of his third Agenda Hat, and, in the absence of other
hindrances, received the title Agent of KAOS and won the Cycle.

The appealer is penalized 12 points.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:56:25 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 526 (TRUE (upheld))

Slakko, you have been (finally) vindicated :)  Congratulations on your
first Cycle win...

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Vivian Norwood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 06, 1998 9:52 AM
>To:	Ackanomic
>Subject:	Acka: CFJ 526 (TRUE (upheld))
>
>Call For Judgement 526
>Subject: Cycle Win
>Initiator: Slakko
>Judge: rufus
>Judgement: TRUE
>Appealed by Malenkai
>Judgement: TRUE (uphold)
>
>Statement:
>
>Slakko has won a Cycle of Ackanomic.
>
>Initiator's Comments:
>
>The Chrome Streak Agenda Hat has been trivially TRUE.
>The Attributes Agenda Hat is currently true, if you accept that titles
>are attributes and membership of organizations are attributes. You don't
>even need to worry about trinkets.
>This only leaves the misspellings.
>
>I have submitted upwards of 30 messages containing the text "letturc".
>Upwards of 10 of these have included at least 10 instances of
>deliberately misspelled words, which could be corrected to more than one
>English word, and are hence ambiguously misspelled words (and therefore
>not subject to Rule 340). According to the definitions in the second of
>the fictionary dictionaries, which I omit here for brevity (and because
>I'm frankly sick of them by now) "letturc" is a word when it is included
>as part of a sentence. It is ambiguous because I have stated two ways in
>which it can be corrected. However, in one message I stated exactly what
>"letturc" should be taken to mean. Therefore it did have a "correct" form
>- namely the word lettuce. In that message, I used "letturc" ten times.
>Lettuce has seven letters, a prime number of letters. So there were at
>least 10 misspelled words in that message, all of which contain a prime
>number of letters when in their proper form.
>
>Therefore the misspelling hat is TRUE.
>
>Therefore all three Agenda Hats have been true simultaneously at some
>point in the fortnight immediately prior to the announcement of this CFJ.
>
>Therefore Slakko has won a Cycle of Ackanomic.
>
>Judge's Comments:
>
>More or less what he said. Two big points really, first all spelling
>errors are ambiguous; second, messages sent to the lists need not make
>sense.
>
>Appealer's Comments:
>
>I'd like the Court to take a closer look at 'attributes on the
>Player/Entity page'. Throughout the whole discussion, that seemed the
>most dubious, and I personally do not feel it has been satisfied, but
>will accept the Court's stamp of approval or disapproval in any case.
>
>Supreme Court's Comments:
>
>The "Attributes Agenda Hat" says that the player must have fifteen or
>more attributes listed on the Player/Entity page, a web page that is
>currently maintained by the Speaker/Financier/Web-Harfer. On this page
>are listed data such as the players' possessions, titles,
>organizational memberships, and much other information that is
>necessary or useful to tracking the game state. Which of these data,
>if any, are "attributes"?
>
>Since the word does not have a particular meaning inherited from the
>rules or game custom, standard English meaning must provide the
>answer. But the problem with this approach is that it provides far too
>much meaning; that is, the word "attribute" is used in many ways, in
>many different contexts, to provide a wide variety of distinctions.
>
>For example, one Justice of the Court favors the idea that
>"attributes" refers to the adjectival descriptions that the rules
>occasionally bestow upon players, usually with the phrasing "The
>player is said to be...." This would include "silly", "foolish",
>"Weird", "Really Weird", "Enlightened", and "Guilty of Patent
>Infringement". However, there is no good reason to accept these but
>not accept Titles - which are also bestowed upon players by the rules,
>and which hardly differ from the previous descriptions, except in
>name. Titles, in turn, can be argued to be extremely similar to
>Offices being held. And if Offices count, then really, why not
>organizational memberships? And so on.
>
>When faced with such a slippery slope, the Court has found, in the
>past, that there is rarely a middle ground that can be objectively
>defended by argument, and the best thing to do is to side with one of
>the two extremes. In this case, that would mean that either nothing on
>the Player/Entity web page is an attribute, or everything is.
>   
>The only real argument for the first choice is that the rules do not
>define the term "attribute", and so nothing can be an attribute until
>the rules define it. The Court finds this argument unsatisfying, and
>somewhat against the spirit of the game. The second choice seems more
>in keeping with the highly inclusive nature of the word's definition.
>The actual contents of the Player/Entity page are essentially
>unregulated by the rules. In the end, it seems fair to argue that, for
>the purposes of this Agenda Hat, a player attribute on the
>Player/Entity web page is simply anything that the current maintainer
>considers important enough to list there.
>
>By this definition, Slakko has the number of attributes required to
>satisfy the Agenda Hat.
>
>This leaves the now-notorious question of the misspellings. The
>requirement is to post a message with no less than ten misspelled
>words, all of which have a prime number of letters when spelled
>correctly. In an attempt to keep this brief, the Court will only
>review two of Slakko's messages, and hopefully the interested reader
>can infer from them the reasoning used to judge the remaining ones.
>
>This message was posted at Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:41:
>
>> letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc
>> letturc mkssage
>> 
>> Happy now?
>
>The Court does not believe this fulfills the requirement. Without
>sentence structure, or indeed context of any sort, there is no reason
>to believe that these are even misspelled words, much less words with
>a prime number of letters. The message makes just as much sense as it
>is - specifically, none at all - than it does by treating "letturc" as
>a misspelling of "letters" (or "letter", "lettres", "lettuce",
>"lattice", etc).
>
>The second message was posted at Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:54, and read in
>part:
>
>> [...] I claim that my use of the text "letturc letturc letturc
>> letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc letturc" in this
>> sentence, each instance of the text "letturc" as it occurs within
>> this paragraph meaning either lettuce or letters but not both, is a
>> blatant attempt to win....
>
>Here, the surrounding context makes it clear (in a vacuously direct
>fashion), that the repeated word "letturc" is in fact a misspelling,
>and that the word, when correctly spelled, has seven letters. The fact
>that it cannot be determined from context which word was the correct
>word means that all instances of "letturc" are ambiguous for the
>purposes of Rule 340, and cannot be treated as being correctly
>spelled. We do not know what the correctly spelled words are, but we
>do know that they exist, and that they each have a prime number of
>letters.
>
>Thus the Court believes that at this time Slakko fulfilled the
>condition of his third Agenda Hat, and, in the absence of other
>hindrances, received the title Agent of KAOS and won the Cycle.
>
>The appealer is penalized 12 points.
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:54:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 526 (TRUE (upheld))

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> Slakko, you have been (finally) vindicated :)  Congratulations on your
> first Cycle win...

Thank you all very much.  Lettuce for everyone!

> >Call For Judgement 526
> >Subject: Cycle Win
> >Initiator: Slakko
> >Judge: rufus
> >Judgement: TRUE
> >Appealed by Malenkai
> >Judgement: TRUE (uphold)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 12:11:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secret Lab

>I suggest that The Moral Kiosk create a Spell Book of Chorg.
>
>I approve of this suggestion.

I approve of this.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 12:45:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess RFC Part II

> From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>

> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:
> > 
> > > You already have a reason to place your king. You only have a weight
if
> > > your king is on board. You can only get swingpoints if you have a
weight.
> > > Place your king and you'll start getting swingpoints. Having a weight
is
> > > also particularly useful during a free for all for those with fewer
than
> > > five pieces (e.g. us!) because you only have to wait two days between
> > > moves. Incidentally, I like the RFC idea as well.
> > 
> > "Only an enemy without honourrefuses to show himself in battle."
> > - -- Klingon proverb
> > 
> > I'm thinking of amending King Capture so that you can't do it unless
your
> > King is on the board too.  Any supporters?
> 
> Yes. Definitely.
> 
> The  whole idea behind things such as Weight 0 for Swinger with no
> on-board King, and other such exclusive was to provide a strong
> disincentive to leave the King off-board, and therefore immune from
check.
> This is in the same spirit, and I think it is a good idea.

Likewise. What's the point of playing without a king? Personally, I think
it might be an idea to FORCE players to place their kings. How about if
when a player becomes a swinger, at the same time as receiving eir 5
pieces, e has to place eir king and one other piece. That would also allow
the new player to get into the game more easily.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 12:45:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 526 (TRUE (upheld))

> Slakko, you have been (finally) vindicated :)  Congratulations on your
> first Cycle win...

Absolutely. Congratulations Slakko. See, I'm not a vindictive man.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:27:22 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Anyone Interested?

I am considering forming an organization called the Treasure-Hunting
League.  Its members would be dedicated to the cooperative decipherment
of Treasure Maps and the sharing of Treasure found.  This could be
handled through Contracts or on the honour system, as desired in each
individual case.  Map Writers and Custodians would not be excluded, of
course, but obviously shouldn't just give away the maps to their
treasures.

If anyone else is interested in participating, I will pay the harfer fee
myself.  (Didn't someone RFC an idea to make organizations able to find
Treasure a while back?  That might be ideal in this case, if the Treasure
was found by the League first and then distributed afterwards.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Brian Eno:Taking Tiger Mountain(By Strategy)
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
All rising to a great place is by a winding stair.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:32:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Returning

Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
correspondence is [email-masked].

Would the registrar please take note.

Guy Fawkes  

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:38:55 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Anyone Interested?

I am definately interested.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, February 06, 1998 1:27 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Acka: Anyone Interested?
>
>
>I am considering forming an organization called the Treasure-Hunting
>League.  Its members would be dedicated to the cooperative decipherment
>of Treasure Maps and the sharing of Treasure found.  This could be
>handled through Contracts or on the honour system, as desired in each
>individual case.  Map Writers and Custodians would not be excluded, of
>course, but obviously shouldn't just give away the maps to their
>treasures.
>
>If anyone else is interested in participating, I will pay the harfer fee
>myself.  (Didn't someone RFC an idea to make organizations able to find
>Treasure a while back?  That might be ideal in this case, if the Treasure
>was found by the League first and then distributed afterwards.)
>
>
>--
>--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
>Current Album--Brian Eno:Taking Tiger Mountain(By Strategy)
>Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
>All rising to a great place is by a winding stair.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:39:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
> immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
> Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
> correspondence is [email-masked].

Heeeeeee's Baaaaaacccckk.

Glad to meet you, Guido!

The name's Slakko.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:42:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

> Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
> immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
> Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
> correspondence is [email-masked].

> Would the registrar please take note.

Whoo-hoo!  Welcome back!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Dark Side of The Moon
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
Pick a piece of me; it'll never be the same twice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:44:06 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract Proposal 2688.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:49:43 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anyone Interested?

Sure!  Me and Bill the pirate king came up with a bunch of stuff on The
Gingham Wearer's last treasure, but then got stuck.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated!  

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Aaron V. Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> To: Ackanomic <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Anyone Interested?
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 2:27 PM
> 
> 
> I am considering forming an organization called the Treasure-Hunting
> League.  Its members would be dedicated to the cooperative decipherment
> of Treasure Maps and the sharing of Treasure found.  This could be
> handled through Contracts or on the honour system, as desired in each
> individual case.  Map Writers and Custodians would not be excluded, of
> course, but obviously shouldn't just give away the maps to their
> treasures.
> 
> If anyone else is interested in participating, I will pay the harfer fee
> myself.  (Didn't someone RFC an idea to make organizations able to find
> Treasure a while back?  That might be ideal in this case, if the Treasure
> was found by the League first and then distributed afterwards.)
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Brian Eno:Taking Tiger Mountain(By Strategy)
> Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
> All rising to a great place is by a winding stair.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:50:40 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

Yay!  Welcome B-ack Guy! ;)

Balsamic Dragon
- ----------
> From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Acka: Returning
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 2:32 PM
> 
> 
> Persuant to Rule 252, section IV, I am rejoining Ackanomic, effective
> immediately.  My real name is Robert Shimmin.  My Ackanomic name is Guy
> Fawkes.  The email address I shall be using for Acka-related
> correspondence is [email-masked].
> 
> Would the registrar please take note.
> 
> Guy Fawkes  
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:50:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Returning

>Would the registrar please take note.
>
>Guy Fawkes  

Welcome back, Haarf-Arimakat!

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:56:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More Treasure!

I'm interested in joining the Treasure Hunting Society.

I hereby give A$5 to Alfvaen to cover my share of the SHF.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #511
*******************************