Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #510
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Thursday, February 5 1998      Volume 03 : Number 510

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 00:31:16 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2664 accepted

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Results of Proposal 2664
> > 
> > 20/24 votes: Quorum achieved
> > 18/21 YES votes: Proposal accepted
> 
> >> Proposal 2664 - Wed 28 Jan 1998 16:59 EST
> >> FM tweak
> >> Vynd (John McCoy)
> >> 
> >> This is a Modest Proposal.
> >> 
> >> Amend Rule 594 by replacing "initially created by a Proposal." in section
> >> i) with:
> >> 
> >> part of the initial Ruleset, or initially created by a Proposal.
> 
> I don't know why we seem to be having trouble amending the
> Frankenstein Monster rule in particular, but this is a Null Proposal.
> 
> I encourage players to include rule titles with the numbers when they
> refer to them, as game custom would then allow the wrong numbers to be
> treated as spelling errors.
> 
> breadbox
> 

Grr.  Sorry about that.  breadbox is right, always include the title.  I
do, unless I forget.  Typical that the one time I do forget is when it
would have come in handy.  I guess I will resubmit.

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 02:44:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gaolbird

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Slakko went to Gaol at 16:52 on Sunday, and was released at 16:52 on
> Monday.
> 
> He definitely posted more than three public messages in that time,
> although I hope no one feels like submitting a CFCJ on him for that,
> as that would be a tad bit obnoxious.
> 
> However, I believe this means that Slakko did not successfully make
> Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice in any thread. Nor did he create a
> Trinket (and nor did he creat a Trynket) called "A Fun Little Scam
> Win". The Finiancier should take note. (Another reason why CFJ 530
> would be False, if it hadn't already been judged so.)

Did I ever attempt to create Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice?
I can't seem to remember doing that.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 08:31:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2670 accepted

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Results of Proposal 2670
> 17/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted

Now, I hereby offer my big bowl of letturc around to everyone.  There's
plenty of letturc for all - cos letturc, iceberg letturc, even that kind
of letturc with the really bitter leaves for the people who like that sort
of thing.  Basically, I'm just so pleased at finally having this passed
that I've decided that it was about time I threw this letturc party.
Everyone is invited, there's no need to crowd, and there's plenty of
letturc for everyone.  Remember that - letturc, lots of letturc for
everyone.

Oh dear.  I think I meant to say lettuce where I typed letturc.

Oh well :-)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:56:43 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 154 (TRUE (affirmed))

Call For Criminal Judgement 154
Subject: Being Annoying Again
Initiator: else..if
Judge: Slagothor
Judgement: TRUE
Appealed by else...if
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Rex Mundi has commited the crime of being annoying on 1/23/98.

Initiator's Comments:

Being annoying is a crime by rule 721. By attempting to pay the
organization standard harfer fee, instead of paying the amount of the
standard harfer fee, he exploited lexical equivalence. (This is all your
fault Slakko.)

Suggested Penalty:

Harsh! Two days in gaol, a 15 line apology, and a A$50 fine.

Judge's Comments:

It seems, in light of Goldenmean's verdict on the earlier CFCJ against
Slakko, that this one must also be judged TRUE. Exploiting lexical
equivalence is definitely a Crime, according to the Rules. (For the
purposes of this CFCJ I am considering '1/23/98' to be an unambiguous
misspelling of whatever date the events in question actually did take
place on.)

I do feel, however, that the spate of CFCJ's that may result from Rule
721 could be far more Annoying than the Annoyingness itself. I chose not
to have Rex Mundi cover else...if's court costs because of this, and
would encourage future judges of this Crime to do likewise to discourage
players from convicting another player of being Annoying unless e was
REALLY Annoying. Thanks, I'll step down off my soapbox now.

Actual Penalty:

A 5-line public Apology, and a slap on the wrist.

Appealer's Comments:

Rex Mundi was given a slap on the wrist punishment (literally). We should
stamp out Malenkai's Loophole now with some serious punishments before
the problems gets worse. Beyond that, Rex Mundi's "apology" showed that
he was not really repentant.

Supreme Court's Comments:

The Court notes that one of the reasons that "exploitation of lexical
equivalence" is considered to be Annoying is for the extra effort it
so frequently requires of those who must track the game state. The
Court therefore feels that the best punishment in this case would be
one that adds the least amount to their existing workload - namely, to
uphold the original penalty.

This Court would also like to comment that it applies a different
standard to appeals of CFCJ penalties than it does to other CFJ and
CFCJ appeals. The Court considers its ability to alter sentences to be
a check on abuse of the CFCJ system, and will not alter sentences
unless it decides that an abuse has occured.

The appealer is penalized 15 points.

Actual penalty:

An APOLOGY of 5 or more lines.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:57:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 519 (FALSE (overturned))

Call For Judgement 519
Subject: Rule 1
Initiator: Slakko
Judge: rufus
Judgement: TRUE
Appealed by Malenkai
Judgement: FALSE (overturn)

Statement:

There is no Rule in the current ruleset numbered 1.

Initiator's Comments:

When Vulcan changed its name to Rule 1 is Repealed. #1, the first
sentence of Rule 1 stated "Rule 1 is Repealed." No other sentence
contradicts this, and so as soon as Proposal 2611 passed, Rule 1 was
repealed.

Judge's Comments:

Rule 1 says it is repealed. Rule further says that it cannot be
changed accept in accordance with Rule 1. It doesn't confict with
itself, so it seems to have been repealed.

Appealer's Comments:

I will provide reasoning via my Bronze Torch when I have more time,
but in case I do not get to it, the gist of my argument is based on
the fact that the lexical analysis of the rule requires the string
'Rule 1 is repealed. #1' to be "lexed" as a proper noun, and that
lexical analysis occurs before high-level semantic analysis
occurs. (It cannot be denied that low-leval semantics occur in the
lexical process itself in natural language, but that fact will
actually bolster my argument)

Supreme Court's Comments:

At the moment that Rule 1 altered its own text in accordance with
Vulcan's name change, the first paragraph read: "Rule 1 is repealed.
#1 once ruled Ackanomic." This does appear to be two sentences, both
of which make perfect sense. The first states that Rule 1 should be
repealed, and the second maintains that something called "#1" used to
rule Ackanomic.

However, the Court would like to gently remind everyone that we are
not allowed to pick and choose the parts of rules we would like to
adhere to and ignore the rest. If we accept that the first paragraph
is two sentences, then we are forced to read the following as being
complete sentences as well: "Those players who were members of Rule 1
is repealed.", "Members of Rule 1 is repealed.", and "If Rule 1 is
repealed.". There is also the following: "#1's new name.", "#1
Headquarters, which is an Extravagant building.", and "#1 Headquarters
as described above." Even worse are these examples: "#1, members of
Rule 1 is repealed.", "#1 as a public action with no Rule 1 is
repealed.", and "#1 Headquarters (via catapult) by Rule 1 is
repealed.". All of these examples are sentence fragments, and hardly
sensible, in or out of context. True, there are some well-formed
sentences which do seem to almost parse. For example, there is "#1 and
Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) are always permitted to enter
Rule 1 is repealed.", "Upon those twelve kaas of land is Rule 1 is
repealed.", and "#1 Headquarters; other players may ring the door
chime, but are only permitted to enter if a Rule 1 is repealed." There
are probably other examples that are even more amusing.

But, note that if the string "Rule 1 is repealed. #1" is taken as a
proper noun, the entire rule becomes perfectly coherent.

Now, add to the above the following facts, equally important if not
more so: an Organization existed whose name was "Rule 1 is
repealed. #1" at the same time that Rule 1 included that string; that
Organization was the same one that Rule 1 referred to throughout
moments before, when the Organization's name was "Vulcan"; and,
finally, this last quote from Rule 1: "If Rule 1 is repealed. #1's
name is ever legally changed, then all instances of the string 'Rule 1
is repealed. #1' in this rule are simultaneously replaced with Rule 1
is repealed. #1's new name."

All of these things combined weigh heavily in favor of reading "Rule 1
is appealed. #1" as a proper noun - more specifically, as the
Organization with that name.

The Court sees no other reason why Rule 1 should not exist, and thus
returns a verdict of False. The original judge is penalized one point.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 10:03:11 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 520 (Malenkai)

Red Barn failed to produce a verdict, so it goes to the Praetor.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 520 - January 26, 1998
Subject: Valaraukers Vote
Initiator: Slakko
Judge: Red Barn (selected January 26, 1998, 2:30 p.m., deadbeat)
Second Judge: Malenkai
Judgement:

Statement 2:

Valaraukar cast a vote on Proposal 2606.

Reasoning:

Valaraukar's Blueprint says so.  We need to know whether this works or
not, but I don't know whether to suggest a true verdict or a false
verdict.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 11:47:31 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 154 (TRUE (affirmed))

>Actual penalty:
>
>An APOLOGY of 5 or more lines.
>
>

Do I have to apologise again, or does the one I already sent count?

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 12:32:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 154 (TRUE (affirmed))

>> Actual penalty:
>> 
>> An APOLOGY of 5 or more lines.
>> 
>> 
> 
> Do I have to apologise again, or does the one I already sent count?

The latter. The verdict was unchanged; this is not a different penalty.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 12:34:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfmeisternessesses

I declare that 2686 and 2689 are both Harfy Proposals.

Yours,
Slakko
Harfmeister
(but not yet Really Wierd)
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 12:52:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Magic Number Calculation Limit

According to the current rules, the Magic Number can never fall below 127.
Reasoning:

The only way for the MN to fall sees it fall to the smallest prime number
greater than 0.9*MN, where MN is the original Magic Number.

Take 127.
0.9* 127 = 114.3
The odd numbers above 114.3 are
115 (5*23), 117 (3*39), 119 (7*17), 121 (11*11), 123 (3*41), 125 (5*25),
127 (prime).

So any number above 127 cannot send the Magic Number to below 127.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 13:50:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gumphbll

Today is the 5th of February, the first Thursday in the month, and I am
chewing the Gumball.  This week's special cover is the Bill Gates Pie in
the Face edition.  So the gumball today has a faint hint of banna cream
pie.

I also note that Alfvaen has not updated the Gumball page to include the
Savage Garden US No. 1 commemorative cover chewing.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:19:58 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Decomposition

fnord's Undead decomposed as of Feb 3 21:29 EST.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Pretenders:Hollywood Perfume
Current Book--Barbara Smucker:Underground To Canada
If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:21:42 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: President

My third term as President ended at Feb 4 22:22.  I'm not intended to
run again, having served long enough already.  I believe that Count
Tabula has a duty to call a Nomination here.

Also, it'd be nice if the Silver Moon Hearing were to start sometime...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Pretenders:Hollywood Perfume
Current Book--Barbara Smucker:Underground To Canada
Plays well with others

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:31:13 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Hubert

I am paying A$10 for the Otzma Card Fix My Gadget which is in the
Treasury.

(What?  It only just showed up on the Web pages?  Well, shame on you
for not paying attention.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Mulu:Pussycat
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:35:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hubert

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I am paying A$10 for the Otzma Card Fix My Gadget which is in the
> Treasury.
> 
> (What?  It only just showed up on the Web pages?  Well, shame on you
> for not paying attention.)

For the sake of those who weren't paying attention, when was this
Fix My Gadget card created?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:49:02 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Hubert

> > I am paying A$10 for the Otzma Card Fix My Gadget which is in the
> > Treasury.

> > (What?  It only just showed up on the Web pages?  Well, shame on you
> > for not paying attention.)

> For the sake of those who weren't paying attention, when was this
> Fix My Gadget card created?

Used to be fnord's, went into the Treasury when e decomposed.  So yes,
I had an advantage in noticing this, but anyone who knew the date that
e left the game and counted 90 days forward could have done the same...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Red Hot Chili Peppers:Aeroplane
Current Book--David Eddings:Sorceress of Darshiva
Fred specialized in the job of making very quaint wax toys.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:57:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: For the Newbies

Informational Spot:

Rule 1 has been in the ruleset ever since Acka was taken over by a
Tyrannical Ruling Elite.  Some of the Ackans believe that it is not
appropriate that a relic of this era should still have total and utter
precedence over the rest of the ruleset, and I agree with this.  
That is why I authored Proposal 2681.  However, I believe that this period
of Ackan history is still important to the future of the game, and hence I
do not want to see the information in Rule 1 lost.  That's why Proposal
2681 is designed to eliminate the precedence in Rule 1, and then renumber
it so that it doesn't take default precedence over too many rules either.

If you believe Acka is a game for the democrats, not for the autocrats,
then you should vote YES on Proposal 2681.

This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of myself (a member of
SPAM, the Rebellion, and anything else that will have me).

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 17:47:02 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President nominations

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> My third term as President ended at Feb 4 22:22.  I'm not intended to
> run again, having served long enough already.  I believe that Count
> Tabula has a duty to call a Nomination here.
> 
I am now taking nominations for the office of President.

rufus,
Count Tabula

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #510
*******************************