Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #503
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, February 1 1998       Volume 03 : Number 503

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:01:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: test

This is a test of the new timestamp program. The date should appear in
EST instead of PST.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:06:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: test

> Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:00:48 -0500 (EST)
> X-Sent-At-Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:00:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Acka: test
> 
> This is a test of the new timestamp program. The date should appear in
> EST instead of PST.
> 
> breadbox

Seems to work.

Note that the sender's time is available in the "X-Sent-At-Date" line.

I've applied this program to all of the public mailing lists. If the
members of any of the private mailing lists want this timestamp as
well, they should let me know.

breadbox
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:28:15 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: test

> > Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:00:48 -0500 (EST)
> > X-Sent-At-Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:00:44 -0800 (PST)

> Seems to work.
> 
> Note that the sender's time is available in the "X-Sent-At-Date" line.

Good deal, it fixes the messages with broken time zones which I send
out with elm during the last few hours of each month, like right now.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 01:06:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: test

> Good deal, it fixes the messages with broken time zones which I send
> out with elm during the last few hours of each month, like right now.

Indeed....

> Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 00:28:14 -0500 (EST)
> X-Sent-At-Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 23:31:06 +73800 (CST)

Wow. Apparently your software is 31 DAYS ahead of GMT, less six hours.
That's pretty impressive.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 02:40:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: _Acka:_ Re: RFC: Evil Midnight Bomber

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
> My two Ackapennies: I'm not too big on rules that involve random
> determination. We already have several of these. I find much more
> interesting the interplay of rules that act deterministically - the
> difference between Conway's Life and a roulette wheel, so to speak.
> (Random determination also means more work for the OiCoRT.)

I sort of like a balance. Like the kind we have in the Otzma Card rules.
Some pararmeters are determined by the game state. Some cards are chosen
randomly, some by the RuneMaker, and the rule allows for other ways to
make them, within limits.

 > 
> breadbox
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 03:11:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Jason clubb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new Player

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Rico wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:
> 
> > Wouldn't these count as perspective actions? 'Cause we all know they aren't
> > allowed don't we?
> 
> Not allowed why?  Because e's non-voting?  Last I checked Rule 1003, it
> said "Any player may request membership in an Organization."  (Unless
> you've been changing the rules on me again... :-))
> 
> True, e didn't request it, but if that's what you're worried about, we'll
> hav em do so.  OK, Hachiman, go ahead and request.  I have already stated
> that I approve of his admission, so has Goldenmean.
> 
> > Or would it just count as the entire party issuing an
> > open invitation to one player? And how long would it last if e didn't take
> > it up immediately?
> 
> Until we denounce it, I guess.  Bill TPK still has to approve, if it has
> to be unanimous (i.e. our charter is useless)
> 
> -rico
> 
> Murphy's Law: If you have an open-book exam, you will forget your book. 
> Corollary: If you are given a take-home test, you will forget where you 
> live. 
> 
> 
Ciao all!
I accept the invitation into the Razor boomerangs...and once the confusion
gets to be comprehension..I will no longer feel llike young Idiot!
Hachiman
"no like my food!!! I slap u face!"

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 04:13:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new Player

Ok, can we view this and the preceeding members acceptances and just letHachiman
in, or should we all spam the main list again to accept him?  If
necessary I approve Hachiman's request for entry into the Razor Boomerangs
(again)

> Ciao all!
> I accept the invitation into the Razor boomerangs...and once the confusion
> gets to be comprehension..I will no longer feel llike young Idiot!
> Hachiman
> "no like my food!!! I slap u face!"

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 04:29:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player

> Of course.  We have one of the best clubs known to Ackakind in my opinion,
> although as far as I know only Goldenmean, Bill and I (and possibly
> Hachiman) get the Razor Boomerang reference.

Does Bill even get it?  I know he gets it, but was he there?  Oh well,
questionsfor the ages (which don't really respond on the ackanomic list)

>Why should I deign to insult a pompous and obviously clueless newbie such
>as yourself who had the temerity to convict the awesomely wise and
>knowledgeable Slakko of being Annoying?  You're not even worth my spit.

Okay, I've had quite about enough out of you.  I show you this perfectly
good game of play by e-mail nomic, and what do you do?  First you whine
for a good week about being too busy to play while I watch the wonderful
organization I made for us going to waste, and then when you finally do start
playing, you have the temerity to be better at it than I am, just because I went

to a real college, and actually have to do work, while you went to Hawaii to go
pick coconuts for four years, and have nothing more important to do with your
time
than play nomic.  And to add to the insult, you almost never vote the way I do
on proposals.  Well I've had enough, you can expect to hear from my second
(just as soon as I find one)

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 04:36:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfmeisterness

I hereby declare proposal 2646 Harfy.
After all, how could anything be harfier than supporting the Harfers?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "today is a good day to play Ackanomic" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Acka - RuneMaker, Chess-Umpire, Map-Harfer, Senator, Wearing Agenda Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 05:31:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: test

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> This is a test of the new timestamp program. The date should appear in
> EST instead of PST.

Pine had one minor problem, because the new timestamp lacks a comma after
the day of the week.  So when it was sorting by the datestamp, all the
February messages got put prior to all the old messages.  
This is why I'm currently sorting by time of arrival.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Acka - RuneMaker, Chess-Umpire, Map-Harfer, Senator, Wearing Agenda Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 05:36:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: test

>> This is a test of the new timestamp program. The date should appear in
>> EST instead of PST.
> 
> Pine had one minor problem, because the new timestamp lacks a comma after
> the day of the week.  So when it was sorting by the datestamp, all the
> February messages got put prior to all the old messages.  
> This is why I'm currently sorting by time of arrival.

Whoops. I've been sorting by time of arrival for a long time (due to
bad timestamps of other players' computers in the past), so I didn't
notice the importance of the comma.

This should now be fixed.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 05:39:23 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: test

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
> Whoops. I've been sorting by time of arrival for a long time (due to
> bad timestamps of other players' computers in the past), so I didn't
> notice the importance of the comma.

Regardless of how you sort your mail, the comma is important because it is
required by RFC 822.  

rufus

> 
> This should now be fixed.
> 
> breadbox
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 10:09:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: AckaL: Retraction

	I retract proposal 2680.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 10:19:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Moo

I am eating one of my Amber Bananas as cows eat grass.
I am directing that the owner of the Amber Banana Tree shall vote YES on
proposal 2667 (as 2+6+6+7=21).

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "finally managed to use an Amber Bananananananana" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Acka - RuneMaker, Chess-Umpire, Map-Harfer, Senator, Wearing Agenda Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:17:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract proposal 2679

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 16:10:37 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: SBoC

I page 2 from my SBoC. This one disappears in a flash of pink light.

I then give my SBoC, and all the trinkets I own, to RexBank.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 16:27:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: SBoC

>I page 2 from my SBoC. This one disappears in a flash of pink light.
>
>I then give my SBoC, and all the trinkets I own, to RexBank.
>
>Rex Mundi.
>

What I meant was, I _read_ page 2. Does this count as an unambiguous
spelling error?

I suggest that RexBank give me back the SBoC.

If I have not already done so, I read page 2 from my SBoC, which, if it has
not already done so, now disappears in a flash of pink light. That should do
it this time. ;-)

I then give my SBoC to RexBank.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 18:50:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Old Kid's Lemonade Stand

I make Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice from my Right-Handed Grapefruit.
I'm planning to set up a trade - but I would like some pre-emptive bids so
I know where to aim :-)  No bids from anyone and the juice stays right
here.  It's not an Auction, though, so I won't make anything binding out
of it.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Acka - RuneMaker, Chess-Umpire, Map-Harfer, Senator, Wearing Agenda Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 20:27:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Old Kid's Lemonade Stand

> I make Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice from my Right-Handed Grapefruit.
> I'm planning to set up a trade - but I would like some pre-emptive bids so
> I know where to aim :-)  No bids from anyone and the juice stays right
> here.  It's not an Auction, though, so I won't make anything binding out
> of it.

How about no bids until the thread split of whether or not you won
has been decided.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 23:27:20 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 126

Well, I've been promising for awhile that I would be doing another CSR,
and I've received a ton of submissions.  I can't say I'm very happy with
myself about it, but I've decided to go ahead and package them together as
a CSR, without including much material of my own.  Thanks especially to
Alfvaen for his diligent error spotting, but there were many other who
contributed something to this as well.  I have declined Slakko's
request to include his proposed changes to 340 (Proposal 340).
They are entirely unobjectionable, in my opinion, but just as he
fears people might vote against it because of his possible win, I
fear that people would object to this CSR.  Besides, I think he is
perfectly justified in getting points for fixing it.  Without further ado,
the text of CSR 126:

{{[In this this CSR, all quotation marks are delimiters only.]}}

Delete the following text from the second to last paragraph of Rule 217:
"Members of a Jury that ruled on a CFJ may not appeal that CFJ, neither
can the Judge, Prosaecutor and Consaecutor of that CFJ."

Amend the second paragraph of Rule 348 by replacing "to one" with "to
match one"

In Rule 408, delete the text "; the time of these reports is deemed to be
the time indicated by the message's initial timestamp" {{[Redundant]}}
from section c).  Also delete the text "(except duty (b) below)" from
section d).

Add the following text to the end of the first paragraph of Rule 212, and
then delete it from Rule 417:  "Supreme Court Justices and acting Supreme
Court Justices are ineligible to be selected to judge CFJs."

Replace the last word of Rule 929, "entities", with "garments"

In Rule 1240.1, section III sub-section 1., replace the "Cards created in
any period" with "Cards created by the RuneMaker in any period" {{[So as
to conform with what we are actually doing]}}  In sub-section 2., delete
"any Institution,"

In the first paragraph of Rule 1240.6, replace "player to play" with
"player to pay" and "pays the names amount" with "pays the named amount".

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #503
*******************************