Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #485
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, January 24 1998      Volume 02 : Number 485

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:09:52 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Days Past

> [/dev/joe:]
> >> By the way, it is my personal (but rarely expressed) opinion that this,
> >> the original quorum crisis, was caused at least in part due to the
> >> creation of the Publicist office.  The Publicist's job was to advertise
> >> Ackanomic in order to bring in new players.

> Actually, it is my impression that it was well-known to at least some
> of the other players at the time that Robert Sevin had spammed Usenet,
> and possibly more than once. I also received the impression that it
> was experiences like this that eventually led to the repeal of the
> Office of Publicist. So I don't think you were alone in your opinions.

And it was one of those messages that led me to join as well; it just
took me a little while longer, because that URL was sitting in my
"untested" links list for a long time before I decided to check it out.

Boy, I could've been a real oldbie by now...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Moll Flanders Soundtrack
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
I have a learner's permit to kill.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:43:56 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oars

Fortunato has become the first player to find the Great Oars of Ackanomic.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Don Henley:I Can't Stand Still
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
I could write a book, and this book would be thick enough to stun an ox.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:45:59 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Org creation

> > This does not work.  Firstly, there is no provision for giving A$ to
> > trinkets, and secondly, since you do not indicate that you are paying the
> > A$25 to the Treasury.  Thus, I consider that The Moral Kiosk was never
> > formed.

> I'm not quite sure what you mean. the standard harfer fee is (or was, when
> I sent that message) an organization I founded. What trinket do you mean?

There were three trinkets that were created with Harfer Fee in the name;
I thought it was one of those, having forgotten the org.  Mimas take.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Don Henley:I Can't Stand Still
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
Hey!  Don't fuck around with the Prince of Peace!  --B. Kliban

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:47:33 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Org creation

> > Of course, I forgot that "the standard Harfer Fee" was an Org.  Okay, you
> > can give it A$1.

> Of course, I'd already sent a message asking what trinket you meant by the
> time you sent this. My apologies.

> Does this mean that The Moral Kiosk got founded?

No, because you still didn't pay A$25 to the Treasury...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Don Henley:I Can't Stand Still
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
A book is like a leg, only it doesn't bleed as much if you stab it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:50:59 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Bill the pirate king has found Phoebe.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Don Henley:I Can't Stand Still
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
Suffering from hypothermia, the mountains claimed him.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:04:13 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: A Belated Reward

I'd meant to do this a few days ago, but kept forgetting to.  But now it
is time.

breadbox, in recognition of your ceaseless work for the great game which
is Ackanomia, and, coincidentally, because of your finally, after almost
a year and a half of membership, having reached a Blue Cross Rank of 20,
I hereby award you a Blue Cross.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Don Henley:I Can't Stand Still
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
My help squeezed back in again and joined the weavers after six.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:25:10 -0800
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Belated Reward

>breadbox, in recognition of your ceaseless work for the great game which
>is Ackanomia, and, coincidentally, because of your finally, after almost
>a year and a half of membership, having reached a Blue Cross Rank of 20,
>I hereby award you a Blue Cross.

Congratulations!

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:27:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A Belated Reward

> I'd meant to do this a few days ago, but kept forgetting to.  But now it
> is time.
> 
> breadbox, in recognition of your ceaseless work for the great game which
> is Ackanomia, and, coincidentally, because of your finally, after almost
> a year and a half of membership, having reached a Blue Cross Rank of 20,
> I hereby award you a Blue Cross.

I ... I don't know what to say. I certainly wasn't expecting this.
Heck, I couldn't even tell you what my twenty accepted proposals
were. I would have guessed it was closer to ten.

My first medal. Wow.

Thank you, Mr. President.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:28:02 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: test

I had some email problems today, this is just to make sure that I'm
getting my mail.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:28:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's being CotC

> Just a dead man dreaming.
> 
> *Rolls over in the grave.*
> 
> Guy Fawkes

Okay, who held the seance?

Anyway ... yes, as many others have pointed out, it is clear that
Malenkai successfully resigned from his offices in both threads. As
soon as I saw Crackfoo's CFJ 515, I realized that this was the case. I
haven't joined in the discusssion on this earlier (sorry Vynd) because
I've been far too busy.

We *are* still thread-split, mind you, but the threads are now much,
much more alike. Praise be. I think Malenkai could even safely retract
Proposal 2616 now.

In any case, I think everyone is in agreement on this issue, so
hopefully it is not necessary to submit a CFJ on it. (I also wish to
commend Vynd for recognizing that CFJ 515 still needed to be judged
False.) Ackalife should start to calm back down again real soon here,
and then we can return to our normal craziness. I might even have time
to work on nomicbot again!

So, here's my new assessment of the current game state. As before, let
me know if there are any mistakes or omissions.

In both threads:

* Alfvaen is the Speaker.
* Balsamic Dragon is the Clerk of the Court.
* Calvin N Hobbes is the Acting Praetor. I believe that a Nomination
  for this Office needs to be held.
* Malenkai is an active voting player on vacation, and he will be On
  Ice starting sometime tomorrow evening.
* CFJ 512 was assigned to Crackfoo, and has not been returned. I
  believe this CFJ needs to be assigned to the Praetor.
* CFJ 513 was judged True by Red Barn, and has been appealed by Slakko
  and The Gingham Wearer.
* CFJ 514 does not exist (lucky for K 2).

In the Malenkai-stuck thread only:

* Vynd and Slakko both attempted to author and then retract
  Impeachment Papers. However, since Malenkai was not in office at
  the time, I believe that these Impeachment Papers were illegal, and
  so they never happened. (Scorekeeper take note.)
* Malenkai is not an Elder, since he has not left the game.
* rufus created a trinket called thread spaghetti, valued at A$1,
  which he gifted to Malenkai.
* Malenkai received a total of 17 points for anti-voting on proposals
  between 2555 and 2589. (On all other proposals he voted the same in
  both threads.)

And the game goes on....

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:44:33 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's being CotC

> * Calvin N Hobbes is the Acting Praetor. I believe that a Nomination
>   for this Office needs to be held.

This is incorrect.  I reclaimed the office in both threads.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:48:43 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's being CotC

> So, here's my new assessment of the current game state. As before, let
> me know if there are any mistakes or omissions.

> In both threads:

> * Alfvaen is the Speaker.
> * Balsamic Dragon is the Clerk of the Court.
> * Calvin N Hobbes is the Acting Praetor. I believe that a Nomination
>   for this Office needs to be held.

Actually, I believe that Malenkai retook the office upon eir return, so
e is Praetor and no nomination need be held.  At worst, e only reassumed
the office of Praetor in the thread where e had actually left.

> * Malenkai is an active voting player on vacation, and he will be On
>   Ice starting sometime tomorrow evening.

Eir current Expected Date of Return is January 25, so I guess that is in
fact true, although it'll actually happen at midnight Ackatime.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--John Hiatt:Bring The Family
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
It is the big fight to _stop eating the damn menu_.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:01:15 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chorg

> > I am wearing the Shades of Chorg.
> > I am reading page 10 of my Spell Book of Chorg. This page seems somehow
> > different from the last few, and I find that it produces an Evil Ballot
> > Stuffer.
> 
> > I pull the large lever on this Evil Ballot Stuffer.
> 
> The Evil Ballot Stuffer, which started to shimmy and shake immediately
> after this level was pulled...
> 
> Eventually sputters and dies, becoming broken.  (Hmmm...is there a way of
> representing this on the PE page?)

Don't worry, the gadget goes away 3 days after it was created, anyway.
In the past, though, I've created an extra item type in the entitylog to show
that something was broken, frobbed, worn, etc.  This could get annoying if
there was something like the Amulet of Yendor which could also break or be
worn...

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #485
*******************************