Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #481
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, January 23 1998       Volume 02 : Number 481

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:13:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: The final *ping* of my reign

> I'm afraid I've made an awfully big mistake here. I was just about to post
> the *ping*ing of the machine for today when I realised that I failed to do
> so on Monday.

I thought that the Machine had been a bit silent recently...

> That's my second stupid mistake in a week as far as *ping*
> goes. It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that I have weighter
> matters to research, such as the shape of the Earth, which incidentally, I
> am almost sure is not flat, round or hemispherical but almost certainly
> banna.

Well, I suppose I can't dispute that by saying it's Azpiazu-shaped...:-)
Anyway, I thought that you were a fine Scholar, but by this message I
think you've probably violated the Rule, so the Machine will teleport.
I'll shortly determine whither.

> I hereby give A$5 to else...if and A$15 to Slakko to make up for the
> money they spent on magic letters which they were unable to use. I think I
> really am playing to many sub-games at the moment: ex-scholar, involved in
> three duels recently, currently winning viruses, started the game of
> fictionary, also playing mediocrity; so when are GAD & YORL starting up
> again? :-)

Well, GAD is up to Fortunato at the moment, and presumably when /dev/joe
gets a free moment he'll start up YORL again.  And I think it's a bit
premature to say you're winning Viruses...:-)

> I've still got a phoebe post to make too. Finally, for those
> that are interested the truth was:

> IF AND ONLY IF today is Monday, Thursday or Christmas Eve or the 
> scholar wishes it to THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

Aha!  I was beginning to think it was something like this.  I had all but
"the scholar wishes" figured out, but I couldn't quite figure out what
went there.  Ah, well.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
Mr. Jock, TV quiz Ph.D., bags few lynx.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:42:26 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: The Fate of The Machine

Hmmm, now here's an interesting pickle.

It doesn't look like, according to Rule 1209, the Scholar can merely
decide to get rid of the Machine during eir term.  You used to be able
to, but now it looks like whatever *ping*ing rules are broken, someone
needs to claim that they "compromised the game", and the Machine then
goes to _eir_ house.

So, as I see it, there are three possibilities.  Either The Gingham
Wearer _emself_ has called for eir own removal, and hence the Machine
teleports to eir home(which is known in the business as "the null
teleport"); or I called for The Gingham Wearer's removal in my own
message, in which case it teleports to _my_ home; or, somehow, it has
managed to teleport randomly to another player's home.

To close the thread split in this case, since I believe that having
the Machine teleport randomly in this case would be The Right Thing,
I am hereby(in case this has not already happened)announcing that The
Gingham Wearer's errors have compromised the game of *ping*.  So, if
The Gingham Wearer had not lose the Machine(even to emself), it now
goes to me.

In any threads where The Machine That Goes *ping* has teleported to my
house, I immediately say "I have weightier matters to research, such
as the shape of the Earth"(for instance, _is_ it Azpiazu-shaped?), so
that the Machine will randomly teleport.

I advise The Gingham Wearer, in the thread where the Machine has
teleported _back_ to eir House, to state the same thing.  Then, in
all threads, it will have teleported to a random active player's
house, and I can unambiguously determine whose house that is.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
Ignore alien orders.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:46:59 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Departure

Archie Leach has now been on ice for sixty days, and is removed from
the game.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
The five boxing wizards jump quickly.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:54:25 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Fate of The Machine

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> In any threads where The Machine That Goes *ping* has teleported to my
> house, I immediately say "I have weightier matters to research, such
> as the shape of the Earth"(for instance, _is_ it Azpiazu-shaped?), so
> that the Machine will randomly teleport.

I think that Alfvaen is dangerously close to saying the Earth is not
banna-shaped.  I think e needs to watch out.  

rufus
banna harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:45:43 -1000
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> For those of you new players who aren't quite up with it yet, let me just
> point out that, no matter what the rules say, the earth is quite
> definitely round.

This is something I've been noticing for a while but haven't had the guts
to point out (being burned at the stake is bad for my complexion.)  But
since an Ackanomic veteran has chosen to brave the tyranny of the
evil men, I'll be more than happy to follow in eir wake:

The Earth is definitely round.  The Earth is demonstrably round,
being a hemisphere; half of the roundest object known to Ackakind.

Moreover, there was never a time in the history of Ackanomic, so far as I
can tell, when the Earth was not round.  Even when the Earth was flat, it
was still round, inasmuch as it was a disk, with the two-dimensional
roundness implied therein.  I'm surprised no one has noticed this before,
aside from my revered and respected mentor Calvin N Hobbes.

And if these statements cause me to burn as a heretic, so be it.  I've
done my part, small though it may be, to fight oppression in Ackanomic.
Should I be burned, I will spurn all offers of sanctuary, for I am secure
in my knowledge that mine (ours, Brother Slakko) is the correct faith.

Plus, I'm sure they have Noxzema in Enlightenment.

- -rico

Where do you want to go, toady?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 01:58:32 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  Witchhunt 101

Slagothar has claimed that the world is round.  I am calling a witchhunt
on him for this heretical statement.  All good Ackans know, despite the
rules, the Earth is banna shaped.  

Since I am the person responsible for harfing the hearing:

Reply to vote.  Valid votes are "No!  E said the Earth is flat"  and "BURN
THE WITCH!"  

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Rico wrote:

> 
> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > For those of you new players who aren't quite up with it yet, let me just
> > point out that, no matter what the rules say, the earth is quite
> > definitely round.
> 
> This is something I've been noticing for a while but haven't had the guts
> to point out (being burned at the stake is bad for my complexion.)  But
> since an Ackanomic veteran has chosen to brave the tyranny of the
> evil men, I'll be more than happy to follow in eir wake:
> 
> The Earth is definitely round.  The Earth is demonstrably round,
> being a hemisphere; half of the roundest object known to Ackakind.
> 
> Moreover, there was never a time in the history of Ackanomic, so far as I
> can tell, when the Earth was not round.  Even when the Earth was flat, it
> was still round, inasmuch as it was a disk, with the two-dimensional
> roundness implied therein.  I'm surprised no one has noticed this before,
> aside from my revered and respected mentor Calvin N Hobbes.
> 
> And if these statements cause me to burn as a heretic, so be it.  I've
> done my part, small though it may be, to fight oppression in Ackanomic.
> Should I be burned, I will spurn all offers of sanctuary, for I am secure
> in my knowledge that mine (ours, Brother Slakko) is the correct faith.
> 
> Plus, I'm sure they have Noxzema in Enlightenment.
> 
> -rico
> 
> Where do you want to go, toady?
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:05:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

An excellent analysis of Valaraukar's Blueprint. I had added this to
my to-do list (which probably means that I would have gotten to it in
another week....), but now I can scratch it off. Very well done.

Kudos to Speaker Alfvaen, or should I say Valaraukar Alfvaen?

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 02:08:12 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Rico wrote:

> > 
> And if these statements cause me to burn as a heretic, so be it.  I've
> done my part, small though it may be, to fight oppression in Ackanomic.
> Should I be burned, I will spurn all offers of sanctuary, for I am secure
> in my knowledge that mine (ours, Brother Slakko) is the correct faith.
> 
You can't actually turn down SOS.  Maybe you should be able to, dunno

rufus

> Plus, I'm sure they have Noxzema in Enlightenment.
> 
> -rico
> 
> Where do you want to go, toady?
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 02:23:03 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: rule 1313

Did proposal 2543 pass?  If it did, the rule needs to be changed.  If it
didn't the proposal archive is out of date.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:25:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Happy Birthday

As your humble Historian, I hereby name Calvin N Hobbes as the Guest
of Honor at our Parade.

Calvin N Hobbes is one of the oldest players still in the game, second
only of course to Robert Sevin.

Happy Second Birthday, Ackanomic!

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:27:31 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Contract

The contract I most recently created having fulfilled its purpose of
signalling my intent, I hereby destroy it.  Assuming it exists.

On the matter of the war Politeness Moon, I would just like to point out
that once again Evil has overcome the forces of good.  Where can I get my
hands on a Good Ballot Stuffer? :-)

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:32:17 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Happy Birthday

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> As your humble Historian, I hereby name Calvin N Hobbes as the Guest
> of Honor at our Parade.
> 
> Calvin N Hobbes is one of the oldest players still in the game, second
> only of course to Robert Sevin.
> 
> Happy Second Birthday, Ackanomic!

Happy Birthday.  May you live to be one hundred and two.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 02:31:10 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ballot stuffing

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On the matter of the war Politeness Moon, I would just like to point out
> that once again Evil has overcome the forces of good.  Where can I get my
> hands on a Good Ballot Stuffer? :-)

I think that EBSes are a bit much.  We  could either get rid of them,
for which I don't think there are the votes; or we could discount them in
case of an otherwise inconclusive hearing.  

rufus

> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> 
> -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
> Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
> Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:35:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: rule 1313

> Did proposal 2543 pass?  If it did, the rule needs to be changed.
> If it didn't the proposal archive is out of date.

It's not out of date; it's just wrong. Proposal 2543 was in fact voted
down.

Thanks for catching that. What happened was that Proposal 2543 was one
of those proposals where I accidentally put the wrong result in the
subject line of the voting report. When I went to update the archives,
I had already forgotten the mistake, and read down the subject lines
in my mailbox....

There are in fact a small number of errors in the proposal archive
still. I'm currently in the process of going over and double-checking
all that data (though I had to put it on hold for a while, thanks to
the anniversary and the current thread splits), and once I'm done I
will re-create all the web pages.

In the meantime, you can always double-check with Alfvaen's excellent
Proposals by Player web page. That should be about as error-free as
they come....

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:50:04 -1000
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Valaraukar's first Evil Twin

To whom it may concern:

I, Slagothor, and Goldenmean, my co-member of the Razor Boomerangs, wish
it to be known that we agree to become Valaraukar's Evil Twin.

If it is deemed necessary, Goldenmean will follow up this post with eir
Agreement.

- -rico

Where do you want to go, toady?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:05:13 -0800
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Valaraukar's first Evil Twin

Yep, we're Valaraukar's evil twin.

So there!  Quake with fear.

Rico wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> I, Slagothor, and Goldenmean, my co-member of the Razor Boomerangs, wish
> it to be known that we agree to become Valaraukar's Evil Twin.
>
> If it is deemed necessary, Goldenmean will follow up this post with eir
> Agreement.
>
> -rico
>
> Where do you want to go, toady?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:37:59 -1000
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Stuff

I hereby convert my trinket "DEMO FOR RICO" back into Ackadollars (one, to
be precise.)

I hereby donate A$1 to Bill the pirate king.

- -rico

Two men in a Yugo were arrested following last night's push-by shooting. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:21:29 -1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

The makers of the Valaraukar shall be awarded 5 bonus points!

I beleive the following people are the makers of Valarukar:

Alfvaen
Rex Mundi
Rex Mundi
Red Barn
**two-star
Alfvaen
K2
Rex Mundi
else...if
Slakko
Vynd
K 2
Alfvaen
else...if
Rex Mundi
**two-star
K 2,
else...if
Rex Mundi

and else...if gains 6 points:

When Valaraukar is over, the winner of Valaraukar receives 6 points in
addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
Contest itself.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:37:12 -1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

Trust me to get reality(else...if) and fantasy (towsner) mixed up...

I am creating a trinket called "It is Green." withe description "It is Green. The
type of Green that is easily confused with the other type of Green", valued at
$A 1.

I give It is Green to else...if.

Towsner wrote:

> >Did you (towsner) get Valaraukar or did else...if?
>         I am else...if
>
> -- --
> -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran
>
>         <[email-masked]>
>
>         No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
> the right place.
>         -Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:45:32 -1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

> Even when the Earth was flat, it
> was still round, inasmuch as it was a disk, with the two-dimensional
> roundness implied therein.

Looking at the map harfer's page it would appear that Acka is in fact
rectangular, even if the two hemispheres were to be reattached, Acka would not
be 'round', as it would have a rectangular 'circumference'.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:41:51 -1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Sneer away

Ackanomia's birthday is on January 22nd

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:29:10 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Fate of The Machine

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> So, as I see it, there are three possibilities.  Either The Gingham
> Wearer _emself_ has called for eir own removal, and hence the Machine
> teleports to eir home(which is known in the business as "the null
> teleport"); or I called for The Gingham Wearer's removal in my own
> message, in which case it teleports to _my_ home; or, somehow, it has
> managed to teleport randomly to another player's home.

I thought that in the one message he called for his own removal, and then
declared he had weightier matters to research.  Thereby teleporting it to
his home, then teleporting it randomly.  So there's no real thread split.

> 
> To close the thread split in this case, since I believe that having
> the Machine teleport randomly in this case would be The Right Thing,
> I am hereby(in case this has not already happened)announcing that The
> Gingham Wearer's errors have compromised the game of *ping*.  So, if
> The Gingham Wearer had not lose the Machine(even to emself), it now
> goes to me.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "eschew obfuscation" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:33:42 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, K 2 wrote:

> The makers of the Valaraukar shall be awarded 5 bonus points!
> 
> I beleive the following people are the makers of Valarukar:

Like someone else (was it Alfvaen?) said, these people made the Blueprint
for Valaraukar, not Valaraukar itself.  Only Rex Mundi made Valaraukar.
> 
> Alfvaen
> Rex Mundi
> Rex Mundi
> Red Barn
> **two-star
> Alfvaen
> K2
> Rex Mundi
> else...if
> Slakko
> Vynd
> K 2
> Alfvaen
> else...if
> Rex Mundi
> **two-star
> K 2,
> else...if
> Rex Mundi
> 
> 
> and else...if gains 6 points:
> 
> When Valaraukar is over, the winner of Valaraukar receives 6 points in
> addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
> Contest itself.

But Valaraukar is not a Contest, ergo no points can be awarded as a result
of the preceding sentence.  Or the preceding sentence.  Or the preceding
sentence or this sentence itself.
- -- 
Duncan C. "self-referential ya this" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:34:48 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, K 2 wrote:

> > Even when the Earth was flat, it
> > was still round, inasmuch as it was a disk, with the two-dimensional
> > roundness implied therein.
> 
> Looking at the map harfer's page it would appear that Acka is in fact
> rectangular, even if the two hemispheres were to be reattached, Acka would not
> be 'round', as it would have a rectangular 'circumference'.

This depends on what you've done to your monitor.  A "correctly" tuned
monitor could no doubt show it as a circular disk.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:55:21 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Malenkai wrote:

> I think the Illuminatus should either be impeached, or that 5/6 of
> the magic number provision be removed from the rule.  It doesn't seem
> like good game design that e get that benefit, yet is free to sit
> on the hats much longer than the rules permit denying others the time
> during the cycle to work towards their win. 

E is only sitting on the hats longer than the rules permit because no-one
is (a) trying to impeach him, or (b) trying to put him in Gaol.
If you want to impeach him, why not do it yourself?  I don't want to
re-open the thread split myself.

Where's the Caped Crusader when you need him?

Up there, in the sky.  It's a Goose!  It's a player with Wings!  No, it's
the Caped Crusader!!!!

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "and I, Aardvark Ratnik, will rule the world!" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:46:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth

> 	It's Thursday.

  I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
The good, the bad, and the unmentionable.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:15:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

>> Looking at the map harfer's page it would appear that Acka is in
>> fact rectangular, even if the two hemispheres were to be
>> reattached, Acka would not be 'round', as it would have a
>> rectangular 'circumference'.
> 
> This depends on what you've done to your monitor.  A "correctly" tuned
> monitor could no doubt show it as a circular disk.

The Map-Harfer only shows the area that we occupy. There is much more
out there beyond the map boundaries, including the Wilds of Ackanonia
and Pumpkin Patch Nomic (who had to move from the other side when we
reattached the northern hemisphere).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:16:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sneer away

> Ackanomia's birthday is on January 22nd

*sneer*

b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:30:15 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

>> In other
>> words, a player may never voluntarily go into Valaraukar, but it is
>> possible that a player may go into Valaraukar involuntarily.
>
>Well, obviously Valaraukar may be a Location of some sort, or so this would
>imply.  And if there is a means defined for a player to involuntarily go
>into Valaraukar, then this may occur.  :-)
	I think the most reasonable assumtion is that it's a building, to
match with the final sentence.

>> The
>> unique, unownable, entity known as the Fat Valaraukar exists.
>
>Interesting.  This has no effect either, but maybe I'll put it in the
>Treasury.  :-)
	Don't unownable things go Somewhere Else?

>> Provided two
>> players agree to it, they will become Valaraukar's evil twin.
>
>This could be interesting also.
	Anyone want to join me in becoming Valaraukar's evil twin?

>> A Player can only cast a Valaraukar e owns.
>
>Luckily "casting" is not a defined action for Valaraukar either.
	Rex, weren't you supposed to add that one?

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:37:36 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

>Where's the Caped Crusader when you need him?
>
>Up there, in the sky.  It's a Goose!  It's a player with Wings!  No, it's
>the Caped Crusader!!!!
	Very nice, but I actually try to avoid flying.  If truth be known,
I'm mildly acrophobic.  In fact, strictly speaking, I drive around in the
Aliasmobile.

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:43:50 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Suggestion

I just resubmitted the Curse of the Bee Ack proposal to the Promoter.
Last time I believe it was rejected because a lot of people didn't get the
joke, and there was no point to the rule.

Since then I have explained the joke (the two .gifs at the bottom of
many of the webpages on Alfvaen's site are B and ACK, hence the B-Ack).
Also, thanks to the acceptance of The Gingham Wearer's Down the River
proposal, there is now a way for people to be stuck in the Wilds of
Ackanomia.  There is therefore a significant chance that the B-Ack rule
could be invoked.  I would therefore suggest that you re-evaluate your
decision from last time before you vote.

Yours sincerely,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:54:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Fate of The Machine

> I advise The Gingham Wearer, in the thread where the Machine has
> teleported _back_ to eir House, to state the same thing.  Then, in
> all threads, it will have teleported to a random active player's
> house, and I can unambiguously determine whose house that is.

  "CFJ Lite(tm)"

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Age is wasted on the old.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:58:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth is *Round*

> You can't actually turn down SOS.  Maybe you should be able to, dunno
> 
> rufus

  Sure you can.  Just be talkative.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
If it's before midnight, it's early in the morning.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:02:35 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sneer away

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Ackanomia's birthday is on January 22nd
> 
> *sneer*

Oh! Can I join in?

*sneer* *sneer*
Gee, this is fun! :-p
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:02:07 -0600
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: The final *ping* of my reign

A good solid game of GAD is forthcoming, never fear!  First, however, I
need to:

1) Amend the rule.
2) Learn everything I can about my new job so that I have some free time
:)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, January 22, 1998 11:13 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: The final *ping* of my reign
>
>Well, GAD is up to Fortunato at the moment, and presumably when /dev/joe
>gets a free moment he'll start up YORL again.  And I think it's a bit
>premature to say you're winning Viruses...:-)
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:16:57 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Clerk of the Court's page

I'm getting error messages from Majordomo on the Clerk's page.  Any idea
why?  I need to get into it so that I can see when and by whom CFCJ 148 was
appealed. 

Thanks, 

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:17:56 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: correction

Sorry, muppetlabs, not majordomo.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:26:58 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Nyarlathotep

I em beeldeeng a monzter end ets name iz Nyarlathotep!

Pleeze zend me eny perts you heff!

Rex Mundi, Mad Zientizt!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:32:31 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> I em beeldeeng a monzter end ets name iz Nyarlathotep!
> 
> Pleeze zend me eny perts you heff!

Here's my first part:

The last paragraph of Nyarlathotep has no effect.
(From Rule 2000)

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:37:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Clerk of the Court's page

> I'm getting error messages from [muppetlabs] on the Clerk's page.
> Any idea why?  I need to get into it so that I can see when and by
> whom CFCJ 148 was appealed.

The Clerk of the Court's page is not maintained on muppetlabs.

The CFJ/CFCJ archive, which will give you the info you need, is at
<http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/cfjs/cfjs.html>. There
shouldn't be any problems accessing it.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:47:29 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Clerk of the Court's page

Hmm, that's strange because the error page said muppetlabs.  In any case,
the information I'm looking for is not in the CFCJ archive.  It does not
say who appealed CFCJ 148 (or when though I could probably infer that).  I
just wanted to know so that I can include it when I distribute the results
of the appeal.  If it can't be found easily, it probably won't be too great
a loss, but if anyone knows off hand, could they let me know please?

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
> To: Ackanomic <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Acka: Clerk of the Court's page
> Date: Friday, January 23, 1998 11:37 AM
> 
> > I'm getting error messages from [muppetlabs] on the Clerk's page.
> > Any idea why?  I need to get into it so that I can see when and by
> > whom CFCJ 148 was appealed.
> 
> The Clerk of the Court's page is not maintained on muppetlabs.
> 
> The CFJ/CFCJ archive, which will give you the info you need, is at
> <http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/cfjs/cfjs.html>. There
> shouldn't be any problems accessing it.
> 
> breadbox
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Clerk of the Court's page

> Hmm, that's strange because the error page said muppetlabs.  In any case,
> the information I'm looking for is not in the CFCJ archive.  It does not
> say who appealed CFCJ 148 (or when though I could probably infer that).

Argh. I forgot to record that information....

Malenkai appealed it just before he left (or attempted to leave). I'll
update the page right now.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:33:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

> Here's my first part:
> 
> The last paragraph of Nyarlathotep has no effect.
> (From Rule 2000)

> Yours,
> Slakko

  I am calling a Public Health Emergency.  This is an obvious case of
Slakko's Disease.  I believe I'm responsible for the hearing, so reply
to vote:

"Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!"
"No, e, uh, meant to do that."

...
  And I note that the unpronounceable one is not the same as eir blueprint.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Schooling is not to impart knowledge, but to impart ability.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:42:57 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

>   I am calling a Public Health Emergency.  This is an obvious case of
> Slakko's Disease.  I believe I'm responsible for the hearing, so reply
> to vote:

Picky, picky Dan.  Geez, one message off topic and I'm suddenly the victim
of a Witchhunt.  Hang on, no, that would only be if I said the earth was
round (even though we all know it is).

>   And I note that the unpronounceable one is not the same as eir blueprint.

I note that too.  I didn't think it would do anything else.  However, I
think this means that Nyarlathotep, when created, can do nothing.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:44:38 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

> I note that too.  I didn't think it would do anything else.  However, I
> think this means that Nyarlathotep, when created, can do nothing.

  Why?  E/it's not divided into paragraphs.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
This is a quiz.  This is only a quiz.  Had this been an actual test...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:49:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

>   I am calling a Public Health Emergency.  This is an obvious case of
> Slakko's Disease.  I believe I'm responsible for the hearing, so reply
> to vote:

Careful - you should check the rules before you invite people to
deluge you with private votes.

Currently, Count Tabula is the Hearing Harfer for all Hearings except
Witchhunts, so players should send their votes to him. Although note
that they should NOT send their votes before Count Tabula announces
the beginning of the Hearing.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:44:05 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trade

I am hereby offering to trade an otzma card map shard plus A$15 of mine for
a foul fowl otzma card.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:57:11 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GW vs. Alfvaen duel

> > Trivalent is in OSPD, so The Gingham Wearer wins.
> 
> And here I thought you'd forgotten about it.  :-) 

I think he had :-)

>This also means that
> the copy of the OSPD I downloaded isn't the same as the one on Marldoom,
> because it _doesn't_ have trivalent in it, I don't think.
> 
> Although if it hadn't, then I would've felt bad and offered a rematch
> anyway, but as it is I acknowledge that I choked, and shake else...if's
> hand as a public action.  I'm sorry for the things I said about banna.
> Whatever it was, now, I forgot.  (And I swear that I really meant to type
> "banana", but somehow mistyped.)

Do you desire a rematch anyhow? As I mentioned, I feel a bit uncomfortable
about the manner in which I won. I also thank Alfvaen for his apology,
shake em by the hand, and ask for what reason e thought it necessary to
shake else..if's hand.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:51:05 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The final *ping* of my reign

> Well, GAD is up to Fortunato at the moment, and presumably when /dev/joe
> gets a free moment he'll start up YORL again.  And I think it's a bit
> premature to say you're winning Viruses...:-)

I am winning it in that I am in the best position (as far as I can see) but
I acknowledge that I am nowhere near actually gaining a win yet. Also,
/dev/joe, are we meant to be submitting cards for YORL or something like
that at the moment?

Whilst I'm at it, although I'm not sure if it is necessary, I am saying "I
have weightier matters to research, such as the shape of the Earth".

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:02:06 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Nyarlathotep

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> > I note that too.  I didn't think it would do anything else.  However, I
> > think this means that Nyarlathotep, when created, can do nothing.
> 
>   Why?  E/it's not divided into paragraphs.
> 
> 

More to the point, Rule 102 tells us that the later parts of a Rule take
precedence over the earlier sections.  So if this is, say, the first
sentence of the Blueprint, then any later sentences that claim to have an
effect will probably still work.

                                      - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:05:00 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The final *ping* of my reign

> I am winning it in that I am in the best position (as far as I can see) but
> I acknowledge that I am nowhere near actually gaining a win yet. Also,
> /dev/joe, are we meant to be submitting cards for YORL or something like
> that at the moment?

Yes. I have about 60 cards now, and I could use a few more before
I actually start the game.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:14:41 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chorg

I am wearing the Shades of Chorg.
I am reading page 10 of my Spell Book of Chorg. This page seems somehow
different from the last few, and I find that it produces an Evil Ballot
Stuffer.

I pull the large lever on this Evil Ballot Stuffer.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #481
*******************************