Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #480
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Thursday, January 22 1998      Volume 02 : Number 480

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:48:26 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Valaraukar

	Well, I'll experiment a bit.  As Valaraukar's owner, I cast it as a
YES vote in proposal 2606.  I believe this counts as two votes.  I then use
Valaraukar to specify that everyone must vote YES on 2606.

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:54:48 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I have an Offer

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> > In other words, people, if you use a Go Fish card you have to get my
> A$499
> > back from /dev/joe, I will then pay you A$150.  Guaranteed.
> > 
> > Yours,
> > Slakko
> 
> Since no one else as yet done so, I play my Go Fish card on the Share Your
> Income card /dev/joe played on Slakko.
> I believe this makes me the first Qualifying Recipient, since Slakko's
> attempt failed.

Contracts are AFAIK not legally binding anymore, because Vynd's proposal
actually passed (given my proxied votes didn't count).

So I'll avoid waiting until Saturday, and now I

#transfer Slakko,Rex Mundi: A$150: For services rendered

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "Thanks a lot Rex" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:59:56 +1100
From: [email-masked] (kii)
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

>Bwuhahahaha! Who do you zink vill tell you vat Valaraukar iz cepeble of?
>Zose foolz et ze Ecedemy? Ba! No mere mortal iz fit to comprehend ze
>magnifizenze of Valaraukar!
>
>Rex Mundi!

Hey, your no longer the mad scientist, I beleive that is illegal use of a
bad translvanian accent...
:)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:02:16 +1100
From: [email-masked] (kii)
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

>>I heff completed beeldeeng Valaraukar from et's bluepreent, end et iz now
>>tranzverred to else...if!
>        Yeah!  I accept it if neccessary (though I don't think it is)
>and...um...does anyone have any idea what it does?

If its blueprint is anything to go by... some points should be forthcoming...

Did you (towsner) get Valaraukar or did else...if?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:00:29 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I have an Offer

> #transfer Slakko,Rex Mundi: A$150: For services rendered
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko

Thank you, Slakko.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:05:26 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Valaraukar

One question.  How much authority do the rules delegate to blueprints?
Because if they delegate enough, then no-one can vote except as the
Speaker tells them to.  Alfvaen, you are the Valaraukar! :-)  Check the
blueprint.

Alfvaen is therefore flat and classy.

You also have the job of adjudicating correct spellings, and you have
precedence over any rule which conflicts with any of your provisions!
Have a good time in your new role as dictator!

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:11:16 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

>Did you (towsner) get Valaraukar or did else...if?
	I am else...if

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:05:46 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: apply request

Towsner wrote:
> 
> >I would like to encourage Hoover 2300 to :
> >    apply to Rule1129 (Crazy French-Scotsmen) for a full refund (and a
> >little extra)...
> >    borrow Towsner's enemy stamp... :)
> -- --
> -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran
> 
>         <[email-masked]>
> 
>         No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
> the right place.
>         -Isaac Babel
I only see that which is infront and not behind thus the actuality in
reality seeks no freindship with the banter that I must relate too
instead I agree on the paper in which I fold and transgress the ideas of
time as I flew the the coop.

the blue prints should be blue if not the contract has to be signed by a
flounder in a yellow suit.

hoo

"ask not what you can do for your country men but what they shall do
with you!"
author unknown.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:28:22 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Earth

For those of you new players who aren't quite up with it yet, let me just
point out that, no matter what the rules say, the earth is quite
definitely round.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:30:06 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Request

I request membership of any organization of which else...if is the only
current member and that owns a secret laboratory. (I can't for the life of
me remember what it was called, and besides, I figured that else...if would
be more likely to notice it if done like this).

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:36:21 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request

>I request membership of any organization of which else...if is the only
>current member and that owns a secret laboratory. (I can't for the life of
>me remember what it was called, and besides, I figured that else...if would
>be more likely to notice it if done like this).
	Is there any particular reason you expect me to give this up?

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:41:15 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request

> >I request membership of any organization of which else...if is the only
> >current member and that owns a secret laboratory. (I can't for the life
of
> >me remember what it was called, and besides, I figured that else...if
would
> >be more likely to notice it if done like this).
> 	Is there any particular reason you expect me to give this up?

Just the fact that I helped pay for it...

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:50:32 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request

>Just the fact that I helped pay for it...
	I seem to recall paying you 20% interest on that loan...

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:55:22 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *That* Roome

> Thanks, but I'm just using Irony Games.  It's what I use for setting up
> role-playing games as well.  That reminds me:  Is anyone interested in an
> Ackanomic based (and themed) RPG to be played by e-mail? 

Very interested.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:56:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Acting Praetor

> Yeah, that reminds me.  I would like to be off the CFJ ineligibility list,
> too.  Actually I think it is my job to keep that list up-to-date but I'm
> not sure who is doing the web harfing for that page...  In any case, I need
> to know if, excepting my removal and Niccolo's, it is up-to-date now.

It was up to date except for the fact that I am on it, but that is
not reflected on the list.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:59:11 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> The whole point is that currently no-one knows which Hats they have
> because the Illuminatus still has to randomly distribute them (Any idea
> when, **?).  However, I'm trying to fulfil as many conditions as I can so
> that I increase my chance of an immediate win.

I think the Illuminatus should either be impeached, or that 5/6 of
the magic number provision be removed from the rule.  It doesn't seem
like good game design that e get that benefit, yet is free to sit
on the hats much longer than the rules permit denying others the time
during the cycle to work towards their win. 

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:03:18 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ situation

As K 2 and perhaps Vynd pointed out...

It seems to me that I was never CotC, so that if Slakko
retracts eir appeal of CFJ 513, whose judgement was not
self-invalidating after all, this problem goes away.
(CFJ 513 then sets precedence for CFJ 512 by CFJ 168, or
whatever it was, by temporal judgement precedence).

Why is this not correct and the problem goes away?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:56:34 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth

Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> For those of you new players who aren't quite up with it yet, let me just
> point out that, no matter what the rules say, the earth is quite
> definitely round.
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
you lie that which you perceive is an apple hence with what you eat has
no mass or density it's flavour has the taste in which you are sensed to
tell. The mass of this Earth has flat spots jun like the sun has sun
spots!

I will believe only to which I can understand once I see I will trash my
own truth into a rubbish heap.

i unlearn all that was learned : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
Mindfuck

transmissional integration ended subject K23taobetaX
                                         __________ 
All Hail Discordia                          
                                             PI

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:15:46 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Earth

	It's Thursday.

- -- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:05:10 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: *That* Roome

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Thanks, but I'm just using Irony Games.  It's what I use for setting up
> > role-playing games as well.  That reminds me:  Is anyone interested in an
> > Ackanomic based (and themed) RPG to be played by e-mail?
> 
Doit
Reality played on a smaller scaled believe it or not it happens greater
proportion
on living beings experiences
"Reality is just a deciphering of the codes
the quicker you are to adjust the scale the smaller you become"

Hail TakZzee!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:03:03 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *That* Roome

> That reminds me:  Is anyone interested in an
> Ackanomic based (and themed) RPG to be played by e-mail?  It would be set
> in Ackanomic and might be set up to include game-related (and
> game-effecting) things.  The idea is to explore the physical environment of
> Acka a little more and to play around with the history and such.
> 
> Balsamic Dragon 

I thought that's what we were already doing. :-)
In any case, I am interested.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:05:25 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Politeness moon 102 results

There was a tie.  7/7

rufus

No	Rufus
No	Slakko
No	TGW
Yes	Rex Mundi
Yes	else...if
No	Alfvaen
Yes	Vynd
Yes	Vynd's EBS
No	 K 2
No 	Fortunato
Yes 	Slagothor
No	Bill the pirate king
Yes	/dev/joe
Yes	Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:14:47 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Politeness moon 102 results

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> There was a tie.  7/7
> 
> rufus

er, sorry.  I left something out:  This means  that the result is "Yes, it
was Polite."  I encourage everyone to call /dev/joe Jazz JackRabbit for
the next 3 days.

rufus, count tabula

> 
> No	Rufus
> No	Slakko
> No	TGW
> Yes	Rex Mundi
> Yes	else...if
> No	Alfvaen
> Yes	Vynd
> Yes	Vynd's EBS
> No	 K 2
> No 	Fortunato
> Yes 	Slagothor
> No	Bill the pirate king
> Yes	/dev/joe
> Yes	Balsamic Dragon
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:39:36 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Acting Praetor

> > Yeah, that reminds me.  I would like to be off the CFJ ineligibility list,
> > too.  Actually I think it is my job to keep that list up-to-date but I'm
> > not sure who is doing the web harfing for that page...  In any case, I need
> > to know if, excepting my removal and Niccolo's, it is up-to-date now.

> It was up to date except for the fact that I am on it, but that is
> not reflected on the list.

Well, when I was updating it I didn't think you were a player.  :-)  I
suppose that that doesn't make it impossible for you to be on it, although
perhaps if a person leaves the game they should be taken off the CFJIL...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
The covers of some books are too far apart.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:43:00 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: GW vs. Alfvaen duel

> Trivalent is in OSPD, so The Gingham Wearer wins.

And here I thought you'd forgotten about it.  :-)  This also means that
the copy of the OSPD I downloaded isn't the same as the one on Marldoom,
because it _doesn't_ have trivalent in it, I don't think.

Although if it hadn't, then I would've felt bad and offered a rematch
anyway, but as it is I acknowledge that I choked, and shake else...if's
hand as a public action.  I'm sorry for the things I said about banna.
Whatever it was, now, I forgot.  (And I swear that I really meant to type
"banana", but somehow mistyped.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
This is a test of the Emergency Tagline System.  This is only a test.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:59:09 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Mad Szientiztnezz

There's some question as to what, precisely, Valaraukar can do.  Well,
we have to ignore the fact that it's a Blueprint, and just consider it
a Rule.  Which, by Rule 594, defers precedence to any Rule which is
not a Blueprint.  So let's see:

> Valaraukar may buy a Big Tent for A$300.

There seems to be nothing which would prohibit a Monster from owning an
Organization Power, or buying one; the question is how one gets the
Monster to perform such an action.  And how one gets the Monster to
trade it to one afterwards.

See, there is a difference between what a Gadget can do and how one can
manipulate a Gadget.  For instance, you can throw the large lever on an
Evil Ballot Stuffer, but while the EBS itself can then perform any of
three actions as a result, you have no control over which action it
performs.

> Valaraukar is a unique entity
> capable of casting one vote on each Proposal.

Rule 106 says "Entities may vote only as specified by the Rules".  So
Valaraukar can vote.  If its Blueprints specifies how, in fact, it
shall vote.

> When a non-modest proposal
> passes, and had no votes other than YES votes cast, Valaraukar shall
> publicly congratulate the author by giving a formal
> speech.

Well, this is pretty unambiguous.  Unfortunately, there is also no way
to specify what the speech shall be, but its behaviour can be interpolated
sort of like the Brass Monkey's.

> This Valaraukar has precedence over all Valaraukars.

I don't think that precedence is defined between Gadgets and Monsters,
and there will never be more than one Valaraukar, by Rule 597.

> In other
> words, a player may never voluntarily go into Valaraukar, but it is
> possible that a player may go into Valaraukar involuntarily.

Well, obviously Valaraukar may be a Location of some sort, or so this would
imply.  And if there is a means defined for a player to involuntarily go
into Valaraukar, then this may occur.  :-)

> If, at any
> time, no one has the title of Valaraukar, or the player with the
> title is 'on ice', the title is given (or transferred) to the Speaker.

Here's an interesting phrase.  Titles are not the same as entities, are
they?  I could create an entity called "Jazz Jackrabbit", or "Commander
of the Blue Cross", without violating the " " rule.  So I may currently
have the title of Valarauker, while else...if owns the Monster itself.

> Valaraukar's construction is such that any new parts would be rejected.

Well, again, this applies to the Monster and not to the Blueprint.  All
this means is that you can't add new parts to Valaraukar, which is not
defined in the Rules anyway.

> Where there is doubt, correct spellings are adjudicated by Valaraukar.

I don't think has sufficient precedence to overrule the Spelling Bee rule.

> Each
> vote sent in by a Valaraukar is counted as if it were two two votes.

Again, if Valaraukar can send in votes, then this would have an effect...

> The
> unique, unownable, entity known as the Fat Valaraukar exists.

Interesting.  This has no effect either, but maybe I'll put it in the
Treasury.  :-)

> Entities may
> vote only as specified by Valaraukar.

Rule 106 has precedence over this one, I believe.

> This last bit is to try and stop
> people from trying to pass off "to be" as Valaraukar, and the like.

Obviously this refers to the previous sentence; the phrasing keeps it
from having any actual effect.

> The
> makers of the Valaraukar shall be awarded 5 bonus points!

Now this is intriguing.  I think that Rex Mundi gets 5 points for this one,
since he is "the maker of the Valaraukar", as opposed to the makers of the
Blueprint for Valaraukar.

> Provided two
> players agree to it, they will become Valaraukar's evil twin.

This could be interesting also.

> Valaraukar
> has precedence over any rule which conflicts in whole or in part, with any
> of its provisions.

Well, Valaraukar is not its Blueprint, and I'm not sure how a Monster
can have precedence over a Rule; I suspect this doesn't work either.

> A Player can only cast a Valaraukar e owns.

Luckily "casting" is not a defined action for Valaraukar either.

> On the first day of each month,
> Valaraukar throws a party honoring its benefactors.

How exactly one gets to be a benefactor of Valaraukar, who knows...but
this occurs, just like its speech-making.

> When Valaraukar is
> over, the winner of Valaraukar receives 6 points in addition to any rewards
> or penalties he may have received as part of the
> Contest itself.

How Valaraukar can be over, I have no idea...

> Valaraukar may not be destroyed or reduced in size to less
> than what it is
> originally (classy). Valaraukar is flat.

Valaraukar is not defined as a building, so I don't think these have
any real rule-ific effect...

I'm sure a few amusing CFJ's could come out of this one, but Valaraukar
is not the most useful thing ever created...  Better fitted to survive
than Lushrike was, though.  (And obviously it owes its existence to the
Holy Azpiazu.)

So, Rex Mundi, are you going to start another Monster, or give someone
else a chance?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fleetwood Mac:Tusk
Current Book--Tanith Lee:Dark Dance
You speak an infinite deal of nothing.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:27:14 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GW vs. Alfvaen duel

> > Trivalent is in OSPD, so The Gingham Wearer wins.
> 
> And here I thought you'd forgotten about it.  :-)  This also means that
> the copy of the OSPD I downloaded isn't the same as the one on Marldoom,
> because it _doesn't_ have trivalent in it, I don't think.

The downloadable versions of OSPD I've seen only have up to 8 letter words,
so wouldn't have trivalent. (Actually, the actual OSPD only has up to 8
letter words except some of the derived forms may be longer, such as plurals
and -s -ed -ing on verbs. The dictionary on Marldoom is the official word
list for US Scrabble play, which includes words of 9 to 15 letters from
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate, 10th ed.

Not too long ago I read on one of the Marldoom guys' web page that they're
(that is, the natioanl Scrabble association is) changing to a new word list
around March or so, and that the new list isn't going to be based on the
OSPD any more.  The new base list has up to 9 letter root words, and there
were about a dozen or so words removed and 20-30 added compared with the
current word list.  In my experience on Marldoom, they will have the new
word list on line and ready to change over the day the official change
occurs, if not sooner. What this means is that one of our official
dictionaries may suddenly change on us, though the change is small and
most of the 200,000 or so words are not affected.  The information I read
was in the FAQ in the link at the top of this page:
http://www.teleport.com/~stevena/scrabble/faq.html

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #480
*******************************