Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #474
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Monday, January 19 1998       Volume 02 : Number 474

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:31:45 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary: Round 2 results

> The correct definition was:

> 4. The Indian ferret.

> No-one guessed the correct definition so I score two points. The updated
> points totals are included in the table below.

> Player              Defn.   Voted For    Points    Total
> Slakko                8         1           0        2
> The Gingham Wearer    4        (Br)         2        2
> Vynd                  5         1           0        0
> Alfvaen               1         2           4        4
> /dev/joe              6         2           0        2
> Balsamic Dragon       2         7           2        5
> breadbox              7         1           1        3
> else...if             3         1           0        0

Ha ha!  I sucked everyone with my "trifoliate leaves", didn't I?  Although
I wasn't the only one to presume it had to be South American, probably
because of the similarity to the Incan "quipu"...

> All definitions were the correct part of speech except for:

> 3. To drive hither and thither.

> which was submitted by else...if and is subject to ridicule. The next
> braniac is Vynd.

Well, else...if's definition sounds more like a Liff definition, but
would definitely have to be pronounced in two syllables, rather than
the three I imagined myself.  But, ha ha!  How silly!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Hunters & Collectors:Say Goodbye
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
The world wide web is a house on fire.  --AjD

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:35:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: just silly

> > You are not mistaken; Rule 836 "Down the River" does contain the words
> > "tarred and feathered". However, The Gingham Wearer did not change the
> > silly words within the seven days after proposal 2560 was accepted, so
> > they are still "tarred and feathered". (If he did and I didn't see it,
> > let me know.)

> Are you sure? I don't seem to recall this and having checked through I
> can't seem to find it. I believe that the smiley/brackets proposal, number
> 2568 contained the words "tarred and feathered" but was rejected.

The Gingham Wearer is right, and Proposal 2560 did not contain the silly
words.  And after I went and changed the pointlog, too.  :-(  Well,
"gullibility" isn't in the Official Dictionary...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Hunters & Collectors:Say Goodbye
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
"Good job I can't see far with this leg."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:56:21 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 3

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> The correct definition was:
> 
> 4. The Indian ferret.

Ugh, you gotta be kidding me.  I discarded that one out of hand.  What
kind of dictionary defines something as "The Indian ferret."?  Doesn't
tell you much about what the word means, if you ask me...

> 
> No-one guessed the correct definition so I score two points. The updated
> points totals are included in the table below.
> 
> 
> Player              Defn.   Voted For    Points    Total
> Slakko                8         1           0        2
> The Gingham Wearer    4        (Br)         2        2
> Vynd                  5         1           0        0
> Alfvaen               1         2           4        4
> /dev/joe              6         2           0        2
> Balsamic Dragon       2         7           2        5
> breadbox              7         1           1        3
> else...if             3         1           0        0
> 
> All definitions were the correct part of speech except for:
> 
> 3. To drive hither and thither.
> 
> which was submitted by else...if and is subject to ridicule. The next
> braniac is Vynd.
> 

Bwahahaha!  I am not alone in my utter incompetence.  Not only has
else...if joined me amongst those who can't figure out the correct part of
speech, but neither of us ahve any points.  We are just too good, the rest
of you should all just give up already.

The Ing word for round three is:  Kea

Bluffers, submit your definitions.

                                      - Vynd, Brainiac

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 01:09:07 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary Round 3

My apolgies for sending this Round to the main list.  I was only replying
to the end of the last round, but that's no excuse.  If nothing else I
goofed by not setting up for a private reply, lets hope i don't cause too
many cases of snowgod's disease.

                           - Your embarassed Braniac

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:44:43 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Tornado

I almost forgot about this...the Tornado Malenkai summoned swept through 
Ackanomic about 48 hours ago.

I believe the following players were Sheltered: Vynd, ThinMan and /dev/joe
in Vulcan Headquarters(Rex Mundi, being outside, is not Sheltered);
Fortunato at the Monolith; Bill the pirate king and Goldenmean at Bill the
pirate king's House; and Alfvaen, Slakko and Balsamic Dragon at their
own houses.  I'm not quite sure if Malenkai left Vulcan Headquarters as
a result of becoming Undead, however.

The exact scores will vary slightly between the two threads(mostly because
of who found Phoebe), but in the thread where Malenkai was able to leave,
here's what happened:

(Cycle 1):

two-star got K 2's 166 points.
K 2 got The Gingham Wearer's 101 points.
The Gingham Wearer got breadbox's 104 points.
breadbox got Rex Mundi's 32 points.
Rex Mundi got Antimatter's 0 points.  [Yes, this is before e left]
Antimatter got Slagothor's 0 points.
Slagothor got else...if's 64 points.
else...if got Calvin N Hobbes's 13 points.
Calvin N Hobbes got two-star's 49 points.

(Cycle 2):

Karma got Malenkai's 150 points.
Malenkai got Karma's 0 points.

(Cycle 3):
Niccolo Flychuck got rufus's 108 points.
rufus got Michael Wren's 38 points.
Michael Wren got Robert Sevin's 0 points.
Robert Sevin got Niccolo Flychuck's 32 points.

(Cycle 4):
Red Barn got Archie Leach's 51 points.
Archie Leach got Red Barn's 56 points.

(Cycle 5):
Crackfoo got Crackfoo's 56 points.

If anyone is Sheltered that I didn't count as such, I'll just remove
em from the Cycle.  (So if Malenkai were Sheltered, then Karma would
just get eir own score back.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Supertramp:Free As A Bird
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
I saw a subliminal advertising executive...just for a second.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:59:29 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Shelter

Okay, it looks like Malenkai was indeed sheltered.  Darn, there was a
sort of logic to eir losing all eir points from eir own Tornado...:-)
So Karma gets eir own score back, then, and Malenkai's is unaffected.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Supertramp:Free As A Bird
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
A Florid Flock of Forty Flatulent Flamingos.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:40:42 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Shelter

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Okay, it looks like Malenkai was indeed sheltered.  Darn, there was a
> sort of logic to eir losing all eir points from eir own Tornado...:-)
> So Karma gets eir own score back, then, and Malenkai's is unaffected.
> 
> 

I'm afraid I am not sheltered.  I left Vulcan HQ shortly after arriving
there and returned to my home, about 5 days ago I think.  Sorry for the
inconvenience...

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:02:35 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka:  Senate voting results...

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> I'll probably CFJ this once we have a single CotC again, based on
> breadbox's argument. Probably you will still get the seat (on a
> technicality ;-)).

Well, you did kind of get help from some Evil Ballot Stuffers.  If it
wasn't for Vynd's we wouldn't be in this mess right now (It would be
either 7-5 me or 6-6 and I got the tiebreaker roll).

> I don't suppose I could persuade you that the honorable thing would be to
> resign? ;-)

This depends.  Right now it would make more work for Count Tabula, so I
think it would be better to wait a little while for some thread healing to
happen first.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:03:18 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: eggplants

This didn't quite work as I intended. I certainly did not mean for hat
weights to be lower than the winners bid, but this is in fact what
happens late in the process when the lowest bidders have been removed
from the bidding but their bids are still counted for weight
determination.

Malenkai and Balsamic Dragon did not submit bids, (or else I lost them,)
and therefore bid the default (126) on every bid. (not that bad of a
strategy, really.) K2's bid on condition 14 was out of range so e bid
the default on that one.
I apologize if the tab size on this makes it look like gibberish for
anyone. The conditions and their authors follow the bids.

This means all of you have hats too, but I still have to tell you which
they are.
The order shows the order in which the bids were considered. The
eggplant column shows the recipient of the eggplant for the given
condition.

**two-star

	Slakko	RedBarn	RexMund	Gingham	Vynd	Thinman	Alfvaen	K 2	order	hat wt.
eggplant
1		60	126	25		75	93	126	25	60	K2
2		60	50			25	71	126	26	50	K2
3		110	-251	0	-252	75	0	120	8	-251	Rex Mundi
4	110	126	50	5		100		120	23	50	K2
5	90	90	-100	-25	126	50		75	12	-25	Rex Mundi
6	50	40	-25	-86		35		100	15	-25	Red Barn
7	110	126		50	126	125	125	126	28	110	Malenkai
8	115	70			126	125	124	126	29	115	Malenkai
9	116	126		62	126	123	10	126	24	62	Malenkai
10	70	126	-10			100	43	126	20	43	Slakko
11	30	126	75			120	74	126	27	74	Balsamic
12	5	126	126	0		100	122	126	21	5	Slakko
13	-200		-251	-237	-252	-252	-249	-256	5	-251	Thinman
14	118		100	-94	-252	-250	68	-10	3	-250	Vynd
15	80		126	-12	100	10	51	126	19	10	Alfvaen
16	119		50	0	126		3	126	22	3	Balsamic
17	60		30	-104	75		-1	126	11	-1	Ging
18	-10		0	-10	0		-53	126	16	-10	Slakko
19	-230	40	-40	-252	25	-252	-103	120	4	-230	Thinman
20	109	80	0	-100	0	0	-32	126	14	-32	Alfvaen
21	-252	126	-200	36	-252	-252	13	-100	2	-200	Vynd
22	-251	50	100		-250	-252	-59	-100	6	-251	Thinman
23	-80	50	25		-252	0	7	100	1	-80	Vynd
24	113	80	126		126	120	126	126	30	113	Balsamic
25	90	-30	0		100	0	6	 	18	0	Alfvaen
26	-100	-80	-100	20	100	-252	-13	 	7	-100	Rex Mundi
27	117	-200	-100	-40	50	-25	23		10	-100	Red Barn
28	90	30	-100	1	0	-50	49	126	13	-50	Ging
29	100	-50	0	-237	50	-100	0	126	9	-100	Ging
30	101	-30	100	0	100	0	33	125	17	0	Red Barn

Slakko:

1)The owner of this hat owns a perfect number of Majiks.

2)The owner of this hat is a member of more Organizations containing
more than one player than any other active player.

3)If the end of the world were to happen today, then the owner of this
hat would win the Cycle.

Alfvaen:

4)The owner of this hat owns A Wall of Trombones.

5)No player has a prime score.

6)The owner of this hat has had a level of the Monolith named after em
by another player.

Rex Mundi:

7)The owner of this hat has created a trinket who's description is
palindromic.

8)The owner of this hat has taken possession of the Little Lamb, while
owning this hat.

9)The owner of this hat has posted a public message containing at least
10 misspelled words, each of which has, in its correct form, a prime
number of letters.

Vynd:

10)The wearer of this hat has joined exactly three political parties
since e recieved it.

11)The owner of this hat has lost four or more Duels since e received
it.

12)The wearer of this hat has abstained on every proposal who's number
is divisible by 7 that has been submited since e recieved this hat.

Red Barn:

13)The game of InterNomic of which Ackanomic is a member (the one of
those of which it is currently a member which it was first, in the
unlikely event of an ambiguous specification) acknowledges as voting
members of itself at least fourty-two Nomics which both contain the word
"Froggy", not necessarily capitalized, in their rulesets, and which
acknowledge the owner of this hat as members of themselves.

14)The owner of this hat has a negative, nonintegral, or non-numerical
quantity of points, A$, or any other entity or entities.

15)The owner of this hat has at least 15 attributes listed on the
Players/Entities page.

ThinMan:

16)The owner of this hat was sheltered in Vulcan Headquarters during a
Tornado.

17)The owner of this hat has authored at least five proposals this
cycle for which at least forty percent but less than sixty percent
of the combined YES and NO votes were YES.

18)The owner of this hat has defeated the owner of this eggplant in
at least two duels this cycle.

Malenkai:

19)It is the case that the Synod has a seat in the Synod,
that the Synod is a member of MetaMorph, and that
MetaMorph has a seat in the Synod.

20)It is the case that a proposal with the title
"Scam or Spam?" was accepted within the last 90
days, and that said proposal was authored by
someone other than the owner of this hat.

21)The owner of this hat also has the Chartreuse Goose.

The Gingham Wearer:

22)During the past seventeen days the wearer of this hat has had exactly
- -59 points for a period of at least 24 hours.

23)The owner of this hat has had five consecutive proposals accepted
immediately following having five consecutive proposals rejected.

24)The owner of this hat has danced naked on the town hall steps during
this cycle.

K2:

25)The owner of this hat has frinked a litre
of right handed grape fruit juice.

26)The owner of this hat has authored five
proposals in a chrome streak.

27)A Frankenstein monster has been created,
including five parts from a rule created
by the owner of this hat.

Balsamic Dragon:

28)The owner of this hat has won a game of viruses.

29)The owner of this hat has successfully white-water rafted down the
Ackanomian River.

30)The owner of this hat has been chosen as
a judge for a call for justice (criminal or non) three times and, after
all possible appeals are processed, has not had eir judgment overturned.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:58:43 -1000
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

I was sheltered (I never left my house after the last tornado)

:)

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I almost forgot about this...the Tornado Malenkai summoned swept through
> Ackanomic about 48 hours ago.
>
> I believe the following players were Sheltered: Vynd, ThinMan and /dev/joe
> in Vulcan Headquarters(Rex Mundi, being outside, is not Sheltered);
> Fortunato at the Monolith; Bill the pirate king and Goldenmean at Bill the
> pirate king's House; and Alfvaen, Slakko and Balsamic Dragon at their
> own houses.  I'm not quite sure if Malenkai left Vulcan Headquarters as
> a result of becoming Undead, however.
>
> The exact scores will vary slightly between the two threads(mostly because
> of who found Phoebe), but in the thread where Malenkai was able to leave,
> here's what happened:
>
> (Cycle 1):
>
> two-star got K 2's 166 points.
> K 2 got The Gingham Wearer's 101 points.
> The Gingham Wearer got breadbox's 104 points.
> breadbox got Rex Mundi's 32 points.
> Rex Mundi got Antimatter's 0 points.  [Yes, this is before e left]
> Antimatter got Slagothor's 0 points.
> Slagothor got else...if's 64 points.
> else...if got Calvin N Hobbes's 13 points.
> Calvin N Hobbes got two-star's 49 points.
>
> (Cycle 2):
>
> Karma got Malenkai's 150 points.
> Malenkai got Karma's 0 points.
>
> (Cycle 3):
> Niccolo Flychuck got rufus's 108 points.
> rufus got Michael Wren's 38 points.
> Michael Wren got Robert Sevin's 0 points.
> Robert Sevin got Niccolo Flychuck's 32 points.
>
> (Cycle 4):
> Red Barn got Archie Leach's 51 points.
> Archie Leach got Red Barn's 56 points.
>
> (Cycle 5):
> Crackfoo got Crackfoo's 56 points.
>
> If anyone is Sheltered that I didn't count as such, I'll just remove
> em from the Cycle.  (So if Malenkai were Sheltered, then Karma would
> just get eir own score back.)
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Supertramp:Free As A Bird
> Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
> I saw a subliminal advertising executive...just for a second.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:02:43 -1000
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma: End of the Day

> I Bid $A11: 2 Share My Expenses

> I bid $A11: 1 Share Your Income
> I bid $A11: 1 Grave Robber
> I bid $A11: 1 Skeleton Key
> I bis $A11: 1 Scientist for a Day

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:20:01 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hat Trading

One can only assume there's going to be an awful lot of Hat Trading going
on.  I hope things don't get too far out of hand with regard to the 
traffic on these lists when we have 10 people horsetrading for the few
good hats.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:26:57 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Creation

I hereby create a Trinket with the name
"danced naked on the town hall steps", with a value of A$1, and the
intriguing description:

"It is Evesiti."

Yours,
Slakko
not yet wearing an Agenda Hat
- -- 
Duncan C. "I predict four cycle wins in the next month" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:51:43 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: eggplants

I'm afraid I am one of those for which this was more or less gibberish.
Could any kind soul tell me which eggplants I recieved?  A list of where
all the eggplants went would be peachy, actually, but mostly I need to
know about mine...

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:58:25 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *That* Room

	I am entering *that* room.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:09:52 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swingpoint Awards & Stabber's Knives

Seeing as Swingpoints are now earned by G&C as well as Party Chess, it's
time to put Swingpoint deliveries on the main list.

This fortnight's Swingpoint Awards:

Category 1 - Swinger Swingpoints
NoS is 4.
Alfvaen - 4
Niccolo - 3
Slakko - 2
Red Barn - 1
Category 2 - Party Swingpoints
MetaMorph gets the bonus:
Niccolo - 1
two-star - 1

Category 3 - Fair Play Awards (technically these happen simultaneously
with Category 1 I think)

Fortunato - 2
The Gingham Wearer - 2 

Current Swingpoint Totals:

36 /dev/joe
27 Red Barn
19 Niccolo Flychuck
14 Slakko
10 Karma
12 Alfvaen
 3 ThinMan
 3 Malenkai
 3 Vynd
 2 The Gingham Wearer
 2 Fortunato
 1 two-star

Stabber's Knives awarded:

18/1/97: Slakko (/dev/joe surrendered)

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:12:04 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: eggplants

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> I'm afraid I am one of those for which this was more or less gibberish.
> Could any kind soul tell me which eggplants I recieved?  A list of where
> all the eggplants went would be peachy, actually, but mostly I need to
> know about mine...

You have 14 (negative, non-integral or non-numerical quantity of stuff),
21 (Chartreuse Goose), and 23 (five rejected props followed by five
accepted props).

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "Nice bidding - you won all the tie-breakers" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:55:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Tornado

Okay, so K 2 was Sheltered(does this mean e has a tower?  Yes, it does,
Map-Harfer take note), and Vynd was not.  So, obviously what happened was
that two-star got Vynd's score(instead of K 2's), and Vynd(instead of
K 2) got The Gingham Wearer's score.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Supertramp:Free As A Bird
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
If you meet this sentence on the board, erase it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:28:27 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Belated Contempt

K 2 just brought it to my attention(perhaps inadvertently, on eir part...:-)
that e did not pay eir Contempt fine, and so went to Gaol for three days.
I think that Gaol sentence is in fact even over right now, but now I'll
have to go check and make sure that e didn't violate the terms of eir
sentence.

(Of course, I still have to go and verify that Crackfoo paid eir fine,
since that is a message I never did receive...  Okay, it is in the digests,
but I still never saw it.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Lost Highway Soundtrack
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
All's well that ends.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:31:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Belated Contempt

> (Of course, I still have to go and verify that Crackfoo paid eir fine,
> since that is a message I never did receive...  Okay, it is in the digests,
> but I still never saw it.)

You'll find it in v02.n465:

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:20:18 -0600
> From: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Acka: In Contempt
> 
> I am paying A$100 to the treasury to avoid going to gaol for contempt.
> 
> crackfoo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:58:04 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: eggplants

> I'm afraid I am one of those for which this was more or less gibberish.
> Could any kind soul tell me which eggplants I recieved?  A list of where
> all the eggplants went would be peachy, actually, but mostly I need to
> know about mine...

Okay, here's who got which eggplants:

K2: 1, 2, 4
Rex Mundi: 3, 5, 26
Red Barn: 6, 27, 30
Malenkai: 7, 8, 9
Slakko: 10, 12, 18
ThinMan: 13, 19, 22
Vynd: 14, 21, 23
The Gingham Wearer: 17, 28, 29
Balsamic Dragon: 11, 16, 24
Alfvaen: 15, 20, 25

Now, as I understand the Rules, these are the Eggplants which we have the
greatest interest in _keeping_ the conditions from being satisfied?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Lost Highway Soundtrack
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
Rotisserie: a Ferris wheel for chickens.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:02:35 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Randomness

In the thread where I am Speaker, I have made the following random
determinations:

Bill the pirate king has found the Magic Potato.

The Gingham Wearer has found Phoebe.

Rex Mundi, after digging in the grave of Chaos, found an Otzma Card Go Fish.
(A tradeable entity after all.  Phew!)

breadbox has found The Great Raft of Ackanomic.

Malenkai and I agreed that what might work best would be for one of to
server as a Random Dice Server for the other, so with any luck we may be
able to have these choices serve in both threads.  Or maybe e will go
on Vacation and leave me Acting Speaker in the other thread.  In any event,
I hope that things will calm down soon.  Except possibly for our new Clerk
of the Courts, who not only has to deal with the verdicts on whether or not
Malenkai left the game or not, but also on whether /dev/joe had to Surrender,
and Slakko was elected Senator.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Lost Highway Soundtrack
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
Always avoid alliteration.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:03:42 -1000
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fair Voting

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2612 is invalid by Rule 313 (section I) and is removed from
> voting consideration.

I'm sorry about the late response to this (100+ messages later) but I
would really like to know why I violated Rule 313.  I gave the proposal
quite a bit of thought and worded it in a way that I hoped would get it
through a potential loophole I thought I'd found.  I submitted the
proposal only to get the 'tarred and feathered' bit in there, and Bill TPK
has since put another to-be-Silly Proposal up, so I'm not going to
resubmit or CFJ or anything, but for future reference, I'd like to know if
my interpretation of the rules is screwy.  I apologize in advance for any
statements in this post that blatantly reveal my novicehood.  What follows
is the offending text of my proposal, delimited by SHOT DOWN:

SHOT DOWN
Should this Proposal pass, all players who took one or more voting
actions, as specified in Rule 313, on this Proposal shall receive 20
points, in addition to any other rewards or penalties that may occur.
SHOT DOWN

This is the part of Rule 313, section I that I believe I violated,
delimited by THE SHOOTER (all emphasis mine):

THE SHOOTER
A proposal is invalid if it calls for one or more effects that 
discriminate in any way between players _*based on their voting actions*_ 
on  that proposal, or any other specific proposal or proposals identified
in the proposal. Effects that _*depend on the way players vote*_ are
allowed if they apply to all proposals...
THE SHOOTER

Now, the way I read the first emphasized phrase from Rule 313 is that
discriminations based upon the particular *type* of voting action taken
are disallowed.  I very intentionally applied the point bonus to anyone
who took any sort of voting actions whatsoever.  Only players who
abstained or were deadbeat (that is, took *no* voting action whatsoever)
were excluded.  To me, the rejection of my proposal would seem to imply
that this 'voting inaction' is, itself, a type of voting action.  Which
would, of course, violate Rule 313, section II.

My reasoning on the second emphasized phrase was much the same, provided
you construe "vote" to mean "take a voting action," which I did.  This
would mean that the effects in Proposal 2612 did *not* depend on the
players' particular votes, which was my intent.  Any player who voted YES,
NO, or PRESENT (or took one of the other voting actions) would get the
bonus, and hopefully there would be incentive for enough players to vote
YES for the proposal to pass (unless, of course, enough players assumed it
would pass and anti-voted :-)).

My other idea was to have the proposal give *every* player a certain
amount of points, but I thought this was trickier and in keeping with the
wording (if not necessarily the spirit) of Rule 313.

Could some of you out there show me where I went wrong, please?

- -rico

Alas, poor Proposal 2612, I hardly knew ye.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:16:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fair Voting

> This is the part of Rule 313, section I that I believe I violated,
> delimited by THE SHOOTER (all emphasis mine):
> 
> THE SHOOTER
> A proposal is invalid if it calls for one or more effects that 
> discriminate in any way between players _*based on their voting actions*_ 
> on  that proposal, or any other specific proposal or proposals identified
> in the proposal. Effects that _*depend on the way players vote*_ are
> allowed if they apply to all proposals...
> THE SHOOTER
> 
> Now, the way I read the first emphasized phrase from Rule 313 is that
> discriminations based upon the particular *type* of voting action taken
> are disallowed.  I very intentionally applied the point bonus to anyone
> who took any sort of voting actions whatsoever.  Only players who
> abstained or were deadbeat (that is, took *no* voting action whatsoever)
> were excluded.  To me, the rejection of my proposal would seem to imply
> that this 'voting inaction' is, itself, a type of voting action.  Which
> would, of course, violate Rule 313, section II.

You are correct in assuming that abstaining is not a voting action.
Abstention is defined in rule 106, and it is not described as a voting
action, and rule 313 likewise does not define it as such.

However, Rule 313 says "discriminate *in any way* between players
based on their voting actions". That includes whether or not they took
any action at all, I would say.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:17:26 -0600
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Fair Voting

As I understand it, the proposal has effects that discriminate between
players who voted YES (+20 points), and those who voted otherwise
(nothing).  Since you did that in a way that was not previously defined,
the proposal was invalid.  Correct, anyone?

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Rico [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Monday, January 19, 1998 2:04 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: Fair Voting
>
>
>On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
>
>> Proposal 2612 is invalid by Rule 313 (section I) and is removed from
>> voting consideration.
>
>I'm sorry about the late response to this (100+ messages later) but I
>would really like to know why I violated Rule 313.  I gave the proposal
>quite a bit of thought and worded it in a way that I hoped would get it
>through a potential loophole I thought I'd found.  I submitted the
>proposal only to get the 'tarred and feathered' bit in there, and Bill TPK
>has since put another to-be-Silly Proposal up, so I'm not going to
>resubmit or CFJ or anything, but for future reference, I'd like to know if
>my interpretation of the rules is screwy.  I apologize in advance for any
>statements in this post that blatantly reveal my novicehood.  What follows
>is the offending text of my proposal, delimited by SHOT DOWN:
>
>SHOT DOWN
>Should this Proposal pass, all players who took one or more voting
>actions, as specified in Rule 313, on this Proposal shall receive 20
>points, in addition to any other rewards or penalties that may occur.
>SHOT DOWN
>
>This is the part of Rule 313, section I that I believe I violated,
>delimited by THE SHOOTER (all emphasis mine):
>
>THE SHOOTER
>A proposal is invalid if it calls for one or more effects that 
>discriminate in any way between players _*based on their voting actions*_ 
>on  that proposal, or any other specific proposal or proposals identified
>in the proposal. Effects that _*depend on the way players vote*_ are
>allowed if they apply to all proposals...
>THE SHOOTER
>
>Now, the way I read the first emphasized phrase from Rule 313 is that
>discriminations based upon the particular *type* of voting action taken
>are disallowed.  I very intentionally applied the point bonus to anyone
>who took any sort of voting actions whatsoever.  Only players who
>abstained or were deadbeat (that is, took *no* voting action whatsoever)
>were excluded.  To me, the rejection of my proposal would seem to imply
>that this 'voting inaction' is, itself, a type of voting action.  Which
>would, of course, violate Rule 313, section II.
>
>My reasoning on the second emphasized phrase was much the same, provided
>you construe "vote" to mean "take a voting action," which I did.  This
>would mean that the effects in Proposal 2612 did *not* depend on the
>players' particular votes, which was my intent.  Any player who voted YES,
>NO, or PRESENT (or took one of the other voting actions) would get the
>bonus, and hopefully there would be incentive for enough players to vote
>YES for the proposal to pass (unless, of course, enough players assumed it
>would pass and anti-voted :-)).
>
>My other idea was to have the proposal give *every* player a certain
>amount of points, but I thought this was trickier and in keeping with the
>wording (if not necessarily the spirit) of Rule 313.
>
>Could some of you out there show me where I went wrong, please?
>
>-rico
>
>Alas, poor Proposal 2612, I hardly knew ye.
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:52:00 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: just silly

Oh, maybe that's where I saw the words...you are right   my mistake.

- ----------
From:  The Gingham Wearer
Sent:  Sunday, January 18, 1998 2:03 PM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: Acka: just silly

> You are not mistaken; Rule 836 "Down the River" does contain the words
> "tarred and feathered". However, The Gingham Wearer did not change the
> silly words within the seven days after proposal 2560 was accepted, so
> they are still "tarred and feathered". (If he did and I didn't see it,
> let me know.)

Are you sure? I don't seem to recall this and having checked through I
can't seem to find it. I believe that the smiley/brackets proposal, number
2568 contained the words "tarred and feathered" but was rejected.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:20:14 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Query

Nemesis eggplants are ownable entities. Does this mean they can be buried
as treasures? If it does then something probably ought to be done about
that.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:06:00 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel (/dev/joe)

TGW wrote:
> Rather than a war I feel that a duel would be a fairer way of doing things
> here. Slakko apparently agrees with me for he has asked me to convey his
> challenge to /dev/joe to a duel on whatever field /dev/joe decides. The
> reasoning for the duel is the above comments.

I was hoping to settle this war like gentlemen, on the partychessboard, but
Slakko seems to want to extend the war.  Fine with me.

I would like to use Viruses for this duel, if we can find a referee.
I am looking for a referee and a second in this upcoming duel.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:35:40 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> Nemesis eggplants are ownable entities. Does this mean they can be buried
> as treasures? If it does then something probably ought to be done about
> that.

Nope.  Rule 1217 clearly states that only tradeable entities can be buried
as part of a Treasure.

Yours,
Slakko

Although I think that the bad hats are a bit more of a problem.
Hence the Mad Hatter proposal.  Any comments on it?

Oh, BTW, I'm considering (but this message is not actually me taking the
action which would involve) retracting the Schedules Plus proposal.
Does anyone have any more comments before I decide?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:33:44 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fwd: Acka: CFJ]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
- --------------03F124F448E9B195E76BCC9C
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- --------------03F124F448E9B195E76BCC9C
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Reply-To: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
From: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:00:09 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_07D4_01BD24FB.B3143880
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Don't know whether to send this to you or not, since it questions =
whether or not you are actually supposed to distribute CFJ's.

Statement:
    CFJ's distributed by Malenkai are valid.

This is a paradox win CFJ

Reason:
    Malenkai resigned as CotC before quitting the game.  The question of =
whether Malenkai could quit or not has nothing to do with him being the =
CotC.  Since Malenkai resigned as CotC, it is no longer his duty to =
distribute CFJ's.  Malenkai also resigned as Speaker, so the duties of =
CotC do not fall to Malenkai in that way either.

Crackfoo

- ------=_NextPart_000_07D4_01BD24FB.B3143880
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=3DGENERATOR>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Don't know =
whether to send=20
this to you or not, since it questions whether or not you are actually =
supposed=20
to distribute CFJ's.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>Statement:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; CFJ's distributed by Malenkai are =

valid.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This is a paradox win CFJ</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Reason:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Malenkai resigned as CotC before =
quitting=20
the game.&nbsp; The question of whether Malenkai could quit or not has =
nothing=20
to do with him being the CotC.&nbsp; Since Malenkai resigned as CotC, it =
is no=20
longer his duty to distribute CFJ's.&nbsp; Malenkai also resigned as =
Speaker, so=20
the duties of CotC do not fall to Malenkai in that way =
either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Crackfoo</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_07D4_01BD24FB.B3143880--

- --------------03F124F448E9B195E76BCC9C--

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #474
*******************************