Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #459
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Monday, January 12 1998       Volume 02 : Number 459

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:22:06 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Assistant Web-Harfers

I never wrote that, and I didn't fing it there either. I ofund it off the main 
ackanomic page. The address given ommits the  .htm  at the end of it 
it should be: 
http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/battlefield/8814/gallery.htm

this should get ya there
- ----------

From:  Uri Bruck
Sent:  Sunday, January 11, 1998 9:07 PM
To:  aaron shapiro
Subject:  RE: Acka: Assistant Web-Harfers

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, aaron shapiro wrote:
> Now seems like a good time to make sure all the new players are aware of
> the portrait gallery. It can be found at
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/8814/gallery and I welcome

It isn't there - at least when I look.

> submissions from all players. So come on Goldenmean and BtPK (and anyone
> else for that matter), send me your pictures!!
> 
> 
> The Gingham Wearer.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:07:19 -0800
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Assistant Web-Harfers

You seem to forget that I know where you live Aaron.

aaron shapiro wrote:

> Hrmmmmm...I think I have a really good picture of goldenmean on hand
>  (I think he knows which one I mean. ;-))  maybe I will use it on him...
> errr submit it.
>
> ----------
> From:  The Gingham Wearer
> Sent:  Sunday, January 11, 1998 11:21 AM
> To:  [email-masked]
> Subject:  Re: Acka: Assistant Web-Harfers
>
> > After much deliberation, I have decided to be democratic.  Slakko can
> > maintain the Hall of Elders, and The Gingham Wearer can do the Portrait
> > Gallery.  (Because I like Slakko's list of Birthdays, but I had problems
> > with some of the stuff on eir Portrait Gallery...black-on-black fonts and
> > stuff.)
>
> Now seems like a good time to make sure all the new players are aware of
> the portrait gallery. It can be found at
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/8814/gallery and I welcome
> submissions from all players. So come on Goldenmean and BtPK (and anyone
> else for that matter), send me your pictures!!
>
> The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:31:22 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:wasting my cash

I hereby build four(4) towers, of thirtyfive(35) meters each, on the =
corners of my=20
house.  This is the house located at E-8 if I need to be more specific.
The towers are all constructed out of dark stone, with narrow windows =
set at=20
odd intervals.  When viewed directly the towers appear as normal as any =
tower=20
on a vampires castle, but if seen from the corner of the eye they seem=20
impossibly tall and thin.  Many viewers claim that to see the barest =
hint of a=20
spiral pattern on the towers, suggesting some kind of coil, but it is =
impossible to=20
tell if the effect is an illusion or not.  The top of each is flat, and =
surrounded by a low crenellated wall=20

I would also like to describe my house so here goes:
(im not asking if I can do this I am just doing it in case there is any =
confusion)

A  tall building, constructed out of some dark stone that always appears =
to be slightly damp, the first thing that strikes you is the four towers =
spaced evenly around the square structure one at each corner.  The =
structure looms over the=20
land in a disconcerting manner, making any who pass too near shudder and =

clutch their coats against an imagined chill. The welcome mat sitting in =
front of=20
the massive door, constructed of oak and studded with brass bolts, seems =

oddly out of place.  A massive bronze bell hangs from an iron bracket =
set into=20
the stone to the left of the portal, conveniently located under a =
protective=20
overhang.  The more perceptive visitors will notice a series of holes in =
the=20
overhang above the bell, as well as a permanent dark stain on the ground =

below.

Once someone has been inside to check out the house I will post a =
description of the inside.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:26:57 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka:wasting my cash

Ps.  Anyone may come to visit if they wish, provided only that I am home =
at the
Time.

- ----------
From:  aaron shapiro
Sent:  Monday, January 12, 1998 12:31 AM
To:  'ackaposts'
Subject:  acka:wasting my cash

I hereby build four(4) towers, of thirtyfive(35) meters each, on the =
corners of my=20
house.  This is the house located at E-8 if I need to be more specific.
The towers are all constructed out of dark stone, with narrow windows =
set at=20
odd intervals.  When viewed directly the towers appear as normal as any =
tower=20
on a vampires castle, but if seen from the corner of the eye they seem=20
impossibly tall and thin.  Many viewers claim that to see the barest =
hint of a=20
spiral pattern on the towers, suggesting some kind of coil, but it is =
impossible to=20
tell if the effect is an illusion or not.  The top of each is flat, and =
surrounded by a low crenellated wall=20

I would also like to describe my house so here goes:
(im not asking if I can do this I am just doing it in case there is any =
confusion)

A  tall building, constructed out of some dark stone that always appears =
to be slightly damp, the first thing that strikes you is the four towers =
spaced evenly around the square structure one at each corner.  The =
structure looms over the=20
land in a disconcerting manner, making any who pass too near shudder and =

clutch their coats against an imagined chill. The welcome mat sitting in =
front of=20
the massive door, constructed of oak and studded with brass bolts, seems =

oddly out of place.  A massive bronze bell hangs from an iron bracket =
set into=20
the stone to the left of the portal, conveniently located under a =
protective=20
overhang.  The more perceptive visitors will notice a series of holes in =
the=20
overhang above the bell, as well as a permanent dark stain on the ground =

below.

Once someone has been inside to check out the house I will post a =
description of the inside.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:54:12 -0800
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka:wasting my cash

Well, gee.  I guess I'll take a break from decorating my house and go see what
all the fuss is about over at Bill the Pirate King's (420$ on towers!!!, really
Bill)  Anyway, I hereby move from my house to Bill the Pirate King's.

aaron shapiro wrote:

> Ps.  Anyone may come to visit if they wish, provided only that I am home at the
> Time.
>
> ----------
> From:  aaron shapiro
> Sent:  Monday, January 12, 1998 12:31 AM
> To:  'ackaposts'
> Subject:  acka:wasting my cash
>
> I hereby build four(4) towers, of thirtyfive(35) meters each, on the corners of my
> house.  This is the house located at E-8 if I need to be more specific.
> The towers are all constructed out of dark stone, with narrow windows set at
> odd intervals.  When viewed directly the towers appear as normal as any tower
> on a vampires castle, but if seen from the corner of the eye they seem
> impossibly tall and thin.  Many viewers claim that to see the barest hint of a
> spiral pattern on the towers, suggesting some kind of coil, but it is impossible to
> tell if the effect is an illusion or not.  The top of each is flat, and surrounded by a low crenellated wall
>
> I would also like to describe my house so here goes:
> (im not asking if I can do this I am just doing it in case there is any confusion)
>
> A  tall building, constructed out of some dark stone that always appears to be slightly damp, the first thing that strikes you is the four towers spaced evenly around the square structure one at each corner.  The structure looms over the
> land in a disconcerting manner, making any who pass too near shudder and
> clutch their coats against an imagined chill. The welcome mat sitting in front of
> the massive door, constructed of oak and studded with brass bolts, seems
> oddly out of place.  A massive bronze bell hangs from an iron bracket set into
> the stone to the left of the portal, conveniently located under a protective
> overhang.  The more perceptive visitors will notice a series of holes in the
> overhang above the bell, as well as a permanent dark stain on the ground
> below.
>
> Once someone has been inside to check out the house I will post a description of the inside.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:28:30 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:in the buccanears den

Ok the inside of my house for those who are curious.

The entire first floor of the house is one room.  The finished white pine floor of
 the massive room providing a natural warm reflection of the light from the 
chandeliers hanging from the 30 foot ceilings.  The far end of the room is 
dominated by a double staircase curving gracefully up to a balcony midway up 
the room.  From this balcony one can reach any of four doors, constructed of 
white oak, intricately carved with scenes of ackanomia's history.  The doors are 
as functional as they are beautiful, each one fitted with a sturdy lock to keep 
visitors out of the towers.  Two other doors of more modest design also can be 
accessed from the balcony, one leading to the servants back stairs, which go 
up to the next floor, and down to the basement. The other door leads to the 
guests stairs, which lead to the next floor and the two guest rooms located 
there. Each of the rooms is small, but has a fireplace, a feather bed, and a 
small cedar chest.  A night table with a large candelabra sits beside the bed, a 
large brass key, presumably for the door, rests on the table as well.  Another 
room on the second floor is a cozy sitting room, a cabinet filled with fine liquor, 
and crystal goblets sits by one wall, and six armchairs are arranged near the 
fireplace. One entire wall has been converted into a bookcase filled with many 
fine volumes of literature.  The only other door on the second floor is locked.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:19:33 -0600
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka : Public Auction

If the auction is still open, I bid A$10 on RoJ Fragment #13.
In addition, I support (albeit unnecessarily) Malenkai's induction into
the
Hall of Elders (both out of respect, and a desire not to lose my
kneecaps).

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	K 2 [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Sunday, January 11, 1998 12:34 AM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: acka : Public Auction
>
>I bid A$6 on RoJ Fragment #13.
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:20:37 -0600
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Malenkai's Tornado...

Since Malenkai played the card on the 9th, I have until the 13th to take
shelter, right?  I really, really hope so...

Anyway, I enter my level of the Monolith.  I feel the great weight of
many other levels above me, and gain a (small) measure of pride.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:25:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai's Tornado...

> Since Malenkai played the card on the 9th, I have until the 13th to take
> shelter, right?  I really, really hope so...

Actually, Malenkai played the card on the 10th, just after midnight.
Furthermore, Otzma cards don't take effect for three days (I believe),
so you have until the 17th.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:30:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Long

> > Acka has alot of bright new players and seasoned veterans, so
> > it should be in good hands.  I suppose it will prolly go on
> > forever!
> Well, some of us expect it to end when the universe dies of heat death in
> a
> couple trillion years or so.  

  Didn't you see the Times article yesterday?  It will expand forever, and
we'll all freeze...
  Sorry to see you go, Malenkai.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Absolute knowledge does not constitute proof.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:33:56 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: $#!+

- ----------
> From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Acka: $#!+
> Date: Saturday, January 10, 1998 5:18 AM
> 
> I hereby support Malenkai for induction into the Hall of Elders.
> 
> I also promise to break the kneecaps of any players who do not
> likewise voice their support. (Okay, not really.)

Geez, breadbox, I'll support it okay?  No need to get violent ;)

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:35:31 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Browser Wars

For the sake of determining how much to tableise, inline GIFise and
graphicalise (I promise - no Shockwave, no VRML, no DHTML - I don't have
_that_ much time), I would be interested to hear from players which
browsers they use to look at the Acka webpages.

Oh, and one other thing.  I don't do frames.

Still Hosing along,
Slakko
- --
Duncan "" Richer aka
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:33:48 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

> Malenkai, a selfless worker for Acka, has unfortunately left us.
> Is anyone willing to take up the burden of being Clerk of the Court?
> 
> I was wondering if people want to split this, and have two CotC's:
> Clerk Civil (who administers CFJs)
> Clerk Criminal (who administers CFCJs)

  I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
think of this?

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
If it's before midnight, it's early in the morning.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:34:34 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: $#!+

> I hereby support Malenkai for induction into the Hall of Elders.

  So do I.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
Schooling is not to impart knowledge, but to impart ability.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:46:08 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> > Malenkai, a selfless worker for Acka, has unfortunately left us.
> > Is anyone willing to take up the burden of being Clerk of the Court?
> > 
> > I was wondering if people want to split this, and have two CotC's:
> > Clerk Civil (who administers CFJs)
> > Clerk Criminal (who administers CFCJs)
> 
>   I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
> think of this?

Scary.
No, seriously.  It would have the advantage of eliminating the need for
named officers, but it would have the disadvantage of eliminating the need
for named officers.  You would need a method of redistributing duties when
they end up with undead, you would need to deal with holders of duties on
holiday, the notion of an "acting owner" is kind of ludicrous as well.

Also, each duty would have to have its own value to determine effective
Officers salaries.  That might add unnecessary complexity at this stage.

AFAICS, this ain't broke.  There's other stuff to fix first.

Hose away,
- --
Duncan "Slakko" Richer aka
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:26:04 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> > Malenkai, a selfless worker for Acka, has unfortunately left us.
> > Is anyone willing to take up the burden of being Clerk of the Court?
> > 
> > I was wondering if people want to split this, and have two CotC's:
> > Clerk Civil (who administers CFJs)
> > Clerk Criminal (who administers CFCJs)
> 
>   I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
> think of this?
> 

An interesting idea, but I don't think its one I'd like to try.  As Slakko
has pointed out, you'd run into problems with things like vacationing or
undead duty holders.  We can't assume that people would have time or
rmember to give their duties away before leaving.  Also, there are many
offices with several duties that only really make sense if they are kept
together.  There are also many duties which belong to optional offices,
and don't necessarily need to be caried out, what would we do with them?
Its an idea with some merit, but unless someone showed me that problems
like these could be dealt with effectively, I think I'd rather stick with
what we have (more or less).

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:44:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka:wasting my cash

> Ps.  Anyone may come to visit if they wish, provided only that I am home at the
> Time.

  I so do.  But I don't tell anyone what I find.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Turn on, or I'll boot you downstairs!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:48:06 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka:in the buccanears den

> Ok the inside of my house for those who are curious. 

> up
> go guest
> drop luggage
> wear crash-proof vest
> get key
> out
> lock guest with key
> go servant
> look

:-)

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Great minds think differently.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:22:00 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Is Not

"Is Not Is Not A Newspaper"
(with apologies to the elder mr cwm.)

by two-star,
Samizdat Press Int'l:

The recent retirements of mr cwm and Malenkai shocked the Ackanomic
community, and they will be sorely missed. However, one other departure
has been forgotten in the hubbub, that of The HTML Standard, which had
been Ackanomic's longest running newspaper before going belly-up as a
result of failing to publish during the month of December. Also, the
Museum door prize (frequently won by the elder mr cwm,) seems to have
been neglected for this month, (although this writer had quite a bit of
mail from vacation to wade through, so he might have missed it.) These
are the kind of details our next speaker will need to pay attention to,
as part of eir duty to keep track of the game state.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:27:59 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Browser Wars

> For the sake of determining how much to tableise, inline GIFise and
> graphicalise (I promise - no Shockwave, no VRML, no DHTML - I don't have
> _that_ much time), I would be interested to hear from players which
> browsers they use to look at the Acka webpages.
> 
> Oh, and one other thing.  I don't do frames.

  Thanks much...
  I use Netscape and/or Lynx.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Some things aren't self-referential.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:30:17 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka:in the buccanears den

The servants stairs just go down to the basement/tornado shelter.  It is pretty 
standard, but very disorganized due to its recent construction in the wake of a big (false) tornado scare.
The room is functional only, not intended for stays over 24 hours, the attached 
wine cellar holds some interesting vintages though.  

- ----------
From:  A.K.A. TheWiz
Sent:  Monday, January 12, 1998 8:48 AM
To:  'ackaposts'
Subject:  Re: acka:in the buccanears den

> Ok the inside of my house for those who are curious. 

> up
> go guest
> drop luggage
> wear crash-proof vest
> get key
> out
> lock guest with key
> go servant
> look

:-)

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Great minds think differently.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:30:43 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

> >   I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
> > think of this?
> 
> Scary.
> No, seriously.  It would have the advantage of eliminating the need for
> named officers, but it would have the disadvantage of eliminating the need
> for named officers.  You would need a method of redistributing duties when
> they end up with undead, you would need to deal with holders of duties on
> holiday, the notion of an "acting owner" is kind of ludicrous as well.

  The existing mechanisms to deal with offices work fine.  Minimal mods
to the ruleset could be achieved by making the owner of a duty an officer.
That would also permit gradual phase-in and test cases.

> Also, each duty would have to have its own value to determine effective
> Officers salaries.  That might add unnecessary complexity at this stage.

  True, too many attributes to track.

> AFAICS, this ain't broke.  There's other stuff to fix first.

  Agree, it's not NECESSARY.  The point is to make problems fixeable
w/o legislation.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
If you don't have anything to say, get off the soapbox.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:44:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

> >   I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
> > think of this?
> > 
> 
> An interesting idea, but I don't think its one I'd like to try.  As Slakko
> has pointed out, you'd run into problems with things like vacationing or
> undead duty holders.  We can't assume that people would have time or
> rmember to give their duties away before leaving.  Also, there are many

  I agree that "acting owner" is a weird idea, but why not?  Possibly
represent the acting duty with another object.

> offices with several duties that only really make sense if they are kept
> together.  There are also many duties which belong to optional offices,

  So they would be, or treat them as a lump object.

> and don't necessarily need to be caried out, what would we do with them?

  That's the whole point: they could be traded off to someone who'd do them.

> Its an idea with some merit, but unless someone showed me that problems
> like these could be dealt with effectively, I think I'd rather stick with
> what we have (more or less).

  LMK if you think any of this has merit.  Consider this a pre-rfc.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Don't trust a bowling ball any farther than you can throw it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:50:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka:in the buccanears den

> The servants stairs just go down to the basement/tornado shelter.  It is pretty 
> standard, but very disorganized due to its recent construction in the wake of a big (false) tornado scare.
> The room is functional only, not intended for stays over 24 hours, the attached 
> wine cellar holds some interesting vintages though.  

(ah, well, it's fun to do this...)
go down
go wine
look
shout "Echo!"

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
It's still paranoia, even if they really are out to get you.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:58:42 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Do not Adjust Your Web Browser

I have split the Map page into two parts to avoid (!!) redundancy.
Previously the image and the details were on the same map, but now with
the table version I've decided to stop doing this.

The nice HTML table map is still at the same location.
The textual information is now at maplynx.html (a lynx friendly version).
Player information will still be on both pages, but in a table on the
table page.

Yours sincerely,
Slakko the Hosed

- --
Duncan "" Richer aka
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:36:01 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:a pirates cellar.

the wine cellar seems to extend past the confines of the house. One side =
is dusty, but well organized, the wines organized and racked by year o f =
production. Twards the back some large casks of beer, and a stash of =
components for some killer mixers have been set aside.  Perhaps  in =
preparation for a party.  The other side of the cellar is a mess.  Empty =
bottles of wine and brandy litter the floor, and each step is =
accompanied by the unmistakeable crunch of broken glass (hope you haave =
shoes)  the carnage in this area look sto be the work of slakko, the =
legendary hoser.  A short flight of stairs leads up from where the party =
stash is sitting.  Following this brings you to the kitchen, all =
stainless steel and wood.   It looks like a bomb went off in the =
kitchen,  vegetables, or parts of them, litter the cutting surfaces and =
smears of dip mar the finish on the sink. The fridge is packed with =
small finger foods, party items, and a smoked salmon. A cake is in the =
process of being frosted in one corner of the rooom, it looks like =
someone is throwing one hell of a party.
On one wall a doorway leads to a ramp, that slopes gently up to the main =
enterance to the house. branching from this corridor another door leads =
to the bathroom. the far end of the kitchen door, formerly obscured by =
wall hangings, is now open. A long table is being assembled a few feet =
in front of the kitchen door, below the edge of the balcony.   Several =
workers are busy polishing the floor and erecting a small platform at =
one end of the room.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:39:48 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:party

I would like to invite everyone in ackanomia to come to my house for a party on 
the night of Saturday, the twentyfourth.  The party is to welcome all the 
newcomers(myself included) and to remember everyone who has worked, and 
died  to make ackanomia what it is today.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:42:33 -0800
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: acka:a pirates cellar.

Sorry abou the format on that last message if it is messed up.

- ----------
From:  aaron shapiro
Sent:  Monday, January 12, 1998 10:36 AM
To:  'ackaposts'
Subject:  acka:a pirates cellar.

the wine cellar seems to extend past the confines of the house. One side is 
dusty, but well organized, the wines organized and racked by year o f 
production. Twards the back some large casks of beer, and a stash of 
components for some killer mixers have been set aside.  Perhaps  in 
preparation for a party.  The other side of the cellar is a mess.  Empty bottles of 
wine and brandy litter the floor, and each step is accompanied by the 
unmistakeable crunch of broken glass (hope you haave shoes)  the carnage in 
this area look sto be the work of slakko, the legendary hoser.  A short flight of 
stairs leads up from where the party stash is sitting.  Following this brings you 
to the kitchen, all stainless steel and wood.   It looks like a bomb went off in the 
kitchen,  vegetables, or parts of them, litter the cutting surfaces and smears of 
dip mar the finish on the sink. The fridge is packed with small finger foods, 
party items, and a smoked salmon. A cake is in the process of being frosted in 
one corner of the rooom, it looks like someone is throwing one hell of a party.
On one wall a doorway leads to a ramp, that slopes gently up to the main 
enterance to the house. branching from this corridor another door leads to the 
bathroom. the far end of the kitchen door, formerly obscured by wall hangings, 
is now open. A long table is being assembled a few feet in front of the kitchen 
door, below the edge of the balcony.   Several workers are busy polishing the 
floor and erecting a small platform at one end of the room.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:20:31 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

two-star, holder of the Little Lamb, has found the Magic Potato.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Prince:Dirty Mind
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Take my advice.  I'm not using it at the moment, anyway.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:41:55 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: That Was Quick

In what is possibly a record, Murphy has requested to leave Ackanomic
after less than 24 hours as a player.  So bid em farewell!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Royal Canadian Air Farce:Air Farce Live!
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
I wanted to marry a model, but I couldn't manage to put it together.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: That Was Quick

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> In what is possibly a record, Murphy has requested to leave Ackanomic
> after less than 24 hours as a player.  So bid em farewell!
> 

I nominate Murphy for the Hall of Elders.  IN his short time here, he has
touched us all, in ways that cannot easily be explained without the use of
a series of charts.  Surely this is enough reason to... well, OK, maybe I
won't nominate him after all...

                                    - Vynd
[email-masked]

> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Royal Canadian Air Farce:Air Farce Live!
> Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
> I wanted to marry a model, but I couldn't manage to put it together.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:09:17 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Workload Distribution

>   I had an idea recently: make duties tradeable entities.  What do people
> think of this?

I'd heard that in some Nomic or other offices were represented by "hats",
which might certainly be tradeable.  Of course, it would be silly to have
one wearing office-hats as well as agenda-hats, but some other wearable
objects like cummerbunds or something...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Royal Canadian Air Farce:Air Farce Live!
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
I'm confused as a baby at a topless bar!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:47:52 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: CFJ 509 Verdict

CFJ 509 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 509
  Subject: Publically Knowable
Initiator: Malenkai
Submitted: 98-01-07 23:29
    Judge: Alfvaen (selected 98-01-07 23:29)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

All those events described in the sections of rule 910 following the
header 'The Known Pages of The Ackanomicon:' for which no time
of occurrance is specified (in that part of rule 910), occur at the
time the outcome of the random determination is publically knowable.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

I'm not sure, but I suppose TRUE is more in keeping with the concept
of publically knowable (PK) and the way we have handled this previously.
However, PK is a meta rule (read game custom), and one could take the
Platonic view in the case of rule 910, meaning it happens when the 
reader reads the book, but we find out later.

On 97/12/6, The Gingham Wearer lost 5 points from rule 910, and the
following entry is in the pointlog, corresponding to the time the
random determination was PK

Dec 06 23:13 EST: -5 The Gingham Wearer: Vile prophecies from the Ackanomicon

The pointlog, of course, is not official, but it represents some sort
of unchallenged customary interpretation.  However, since it is a scoring
change, it is regulated by rule 205 as to when it occurs, so scoring from
rule 910 may be different than other events.  Since timing of non-score-
related events has not mattered in the past...

Well, I'm out of time.  Its the judge's problem now :-)

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Rule 205 states the following:

   3) Rule Based Triggered or Mandated Score Changes

   a) If the score change is due to an event occurring (such as a player
   reaching a certain score, or the adoption of a proposal), this score
   change is said to occur an infinitesimal amount of time after it is
   possible for the public to be aware of the event occurring. All score
   changes due to a single event occur simultaneously.

Thus, obviously the Ackanomicon's score-based changes take place when(or
infinitesimally after)it is publicly knowable that a score-changing page
has been selected.

As far as I can tell, there is no Rule mandating the time that other
such effects(for instance, the gaining of A$50 for an "Inner Workings"
page)would occur.  Game custom, as practiced by myself(as the current
Financier)and, as far as I can tell, by prior Officers, would tend to
dictate that the time some event is publicly knowable is when it can be
considered to happen, if such a time is not specified otherwise.

Rule 380 says that if a day of the week or the month is specified for
an event, but no time of day, then the event will take place at noon.
(Upon reflection, this means that the Magic Potato transfer always happens
at noon, as opposed to "whenever the OiCoRT decides who got the Potato,
but that's a different CFJ, I guess.)  However, no date or weekday is
specified for the Ackanomicon, so this rule does not apply.

The wording of Rule 910, which is purposely vague, but may be enlightening,
says the OiCoRT is responsible for determining "which page...The
Ackanomicon _was_ open to"(emphasis mine), so it seems that the random
determination applies to what _did_ happen when the Ackanomicon was read.
Thus, the non-scoring effects of the Ackanomicon can indeed be said to
happen when the Vault was entered, as opposed to when the result of the
random determination is publicly knowable.

Thus there seems no obstacle for me to assume that, for instance, one could
enter the Vault of the Book with A$50, post the creation of an A$100
trinket iff one has A$100, and if one did happen to read an Inner Workings
page, the creation would have succeeded.  This kind of conditional action
is permitted by game custom, and the fact that the result may not yet be
publicly knowable when the action is attempted may be irrelevant.

(It could be argued that it takes some finite time to read the
Ackanomicon's page, and thus the result won't occur until the random
determination does, but it seems nonsensical to me, unless there were to be
some restriction on the player's taking actions, such as leaving the Vault,
before this random determination occurs.  Otherwise you could read the
page, go to the Museum, and then discover that you've gained A$50, or the
Chartreuse Goose, or an Amber Banana, or an Otzma Card Art Thief...)

Thus I rule FALSE on this CFJ, although scoring effects do still occur
at the time of public knowability, by Rule 205.

(Not that I would mind a Rule that fixed this, either for the specific
Ackanomicon Rule or for the game in general...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Tragically Hip:Fully Completely
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Alfredo just must bring very exciting news to the plaza quickly.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:06:29 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Long

> > > Acka has alot of bright new players and seasoned veterans, so
> > > it should be in good hands.  I suppose it will prolly go on
> > > forever!

> > Well, some of us expect it to end when the universe dies of heat death in
> > a couple trillion years or so.  

>   Didn't you see the Times article yesterday?  It will expand forever, and
> we'll all freeze...

I would advise you, Red Barn, to look up the definition of 'heat death'
sometime.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Royal Canadian Air Farce:Air Farce Live!
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
If you rip the wings off a fly, do you get a walk?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:02:54 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Is Not

> However, one other departure
> has been forgotten in the hubbub, that of The HTML Standard, which had
> been Ackanomic's longest running newspaper before going belly-up as a
> result of failing to publish during the month of December. Also, the
> Museum door prize (frequently won by the elder mr cwm,) seems to have
> been neglected for this month, (although this writer had quite a bit of
> mail from vacation to wade through, so he might have missed it.) These
> are the kind of details our next speaker will need to pay attention to,
> as part of eir duty to keep track of the game state.

I was planning to go through and check the newspapers any time now.  :-)
And I confess that the Museum Door Prize has been oft neglected, so I had
forgotten about it myself.

But with all delayed promptness let me assure all those to whom it may
be concerned that it was /dev/joe, donor of the Improved Tasteless Trinket
of Timekeeping, who won January's door prize.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Royal Canadian Air Farce:Air Farce Live!
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
The things which you do not see are connected by spokes.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #459
*******************************