Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #457
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, January 11 1998       Volume 02 : Number 457

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:04:23 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's slow down a bit

> > I still think that the Promoter becomes Speaker.  When Malenkai went
> > on Vacation briefly a few months ago, I claimed that(since I was Promoter
> > at the time)I was Acting Speaker.

> So why doesn't the Clerk of the Court become Speaker? I'm not
> questioning your judgement, I just need to know why Rule 413 doesn't
> apply.

Because there is no Clerk of the Court, only an Acting Clerk of the Court
(and for that matter only a default Acting Clerk of the Court, not that
that would cut any ice with the Rules...).  That is my take on it.

> > It there a way that you, if you are Acting Speaker, can make me
> > Acting Speaker?  :-)

> Unfortunately, no.

Didn't think so.

> > In any case, I'll
> > try not to make too many Speakerly actions, in case a later CFJ turns
> > out to rule them as having not occurred.  (Maybe we can both attempt
> > the actions, in case...:-)

> Actually, you/I/we need to make a few Speakerly actions just to elect
> a new Speaker.

If it is the case that I am the Speaker, I announce the beginning of a
Nomination for Speaker.  Since I have no *%*$( clue at the moment whether
me, breadbox, or rufus needs to be informed of the nominees, I think it
would make things easier if any such nominees announced it publicly.
And waited until breadbox announced the Nomination as well, so that it's
all kosher and legal no matter who turns out to be Acting Speaker.

> Where is a Offices Expert when you need one?

I dunno.  Where?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--M+M:I Watch, I Wait
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 00:04:27 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2561 rejected

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Towsner wrote:
> > 	That's okay.  It still wouldn't have passed if you had voted for
> > it.  Besides, I don't mind if people vote against my proposals in general,
> > I'm just annoyed at Vynd for going out of his way to shoot down a proposal
> > he knew would pass otherwise.
> 
> Some of us would rather not have Acka have a state religion.
> Ever since we invented Churches in Acka, more than a year ago, we've
> had freedom of religion here, and some of us would like to see it stay
> that way.  And witchhunts, to say the least, are old and beaten into the
> surface of the hemispherical earth, already.
> 
> I don't see Vynd's tammany bribe as "going out of his way to shoot down
> a proposal he knew otherwise would pass", but rather "going out of his
> way to make sure a really bad proposal doesn't pass."  If I had "known
> the proposal would pass otherwise" (a characteristic you assign to Vynd,
> though you provide no evidence of Vynd's ability to read other players'
> minds) I probably would have done the same.
> 
> /dev/joe

You people, I swear.  You've got it all wrong.  State Religions sound like
a grand idea to me, perhaps we could even have some Crusades.  What
bothered me was that, if I read the Proposal correctly, it was actually
possible that the great and undeniable truth that the earth is flat would
be lowered to the mere status of an "enforced belief," which in my mind is
tantamount to saying that it might concievably not be something that
everyone can and does believe with all their heart and souls.  Obviously
the author was deranged, perhaps hallucinating, when he wrote the
proposal.  Believe me, I understand, it happens all the time I know.  I
was merely trying to prevent him, in his dimished state, from doing
something which he would regret when the leprechauns or what have you
disappeared.  Really, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:07:27 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Portrait

To those candidates putting together Gallery pages:

Please update my portrait by replacing it with the picture at
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/public_html/acka/images/3dvir.jpg

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:05:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

> If I am Acting Speaker, I am appointing rufus Acting Clerk of the
> Court, since e was the first one whose message evincing interest in
> the position I saw.

Wait. The CotC is a Functional Office, so it's the President's duty.
You should do that regardless of Speakerhood.

> I'm still not clear on whose duty it would be to conduct nominations
> for Political Offices; Speaker, Praetor, and mr cwm's Senate seat are
> vacant right now.

Whoever winds up as acting Speaker must conduct the Nominations. This
much at least I feel I know.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:05:51 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Elders

By my count mr cwm and Malenkai are both officially in the Hall of Elders
now, and have been for almost a day now.  :-)  So we can stop supporting
them now.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--M+M:I Watch, I Want
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
I was up until three in the morning fixing the moon.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:12:38 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Portrait

I wrote:
> To those candidates putting together Gallery pages:
> 
> Please update my portrait by replacing it with the picture at
> http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/public_html/acka/images/3dvir.jpg

Oops, look what I get for copy&pasting that.

The correct URL for my new portrait is of course
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/images/3dvir.jpg

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:11:48 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka:mentor

> Wait a minute. I think I recall a post mentioning two star being on vacation.
> He is upposed to be my mentor.
> (not that ive mailed anything other to a greeting to him)

He returned from Vacation a few days ago, and is, I imagine, busily harfing
Agenda Hats and stuff.  Or something like that.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--M+M:I Watch, I Want
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Exit 'Loons On The Tree'.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:11:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's slow down a bit

> Because there is no Clerk of the Court, only an Acting Clerk of the
> Court (and for that matter only a default Acting Clerk of the Court,
> not that that would cut any ice with the Rules...).  That is my take
> on it.

All right. I'm willing to go with that for the time being.

I suppose that would also mean that there is no problem with my being
a Justice at the same time. (Wait, I think I remember a CFJ on
that....)

>> Actually, you/I/we need to make a few Speakerly actions just to elect
>> a new Speaker.
> 
> If it is the case that I am the Speaker, I announce the beginning of a
> Nomination for Speaker.

If it is the case that I am the (acting) Speaker, I announce the
beginning of a Nomination for Speaker. Please send your Nominations to
the main list.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 00:27:02 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > If I am Acting Speaker, I am appointing rufus Acting Clerk of the
> > Court, since e was the first one whose message evincing interest in
> > the position I saw.
> 
> Wait. The CotC is a Functional Office, so it's the President's duty.
> You should do that regardless of Speakerhood.

Yes, I believe breadbox is correct here.  The President has the authority
to appoint players acting Functional Officers if the Officer is on
vacation, but not if the Office is entirely vacant.  Alfvaen is still the
Acting Clerk of the Court, I don't think he can get out of it until he has
selected an eligible Nominee.

> 
> > I'm still not clear on whose duty it would be to conduct nominations
> > for Political Offices; Speaker, Praetor, and mr cwm's Senate seat are
> > vacant right now.
> 
> Whoever winds up as acting Speaker must conduct the Nominations. This
> much at least I feel I know.
> 

I am positive that Alfvaen is the Acting Speaker.  Rule 413 says that it
is the Duty of the Clerk of the Court to be the Acting Speaker if there is
no Speaker.  Acting Officers are required to carry out the duties of the
Offices they Acting in.  Alfvaen is the Acting Clerk of the Court, and
thus is required to carry out its duties, which includes being Acting
Speaker.

I point out that, if breadbox and more importantly Alfvaen think it is a
good idea, the President has the authority to call a Proposal Moratorium.
Now that I actually read the rule though, I have to wonder what good
preventing officers and only officers from submiting proposals is.  Is
this some kind of long standing mistake?

> breadbox
> 

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 00:33:10 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: proposal

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> >> 
> >> Doh, meant to send this straight to breadbox.  OK, this wasn't a
> >> submission, it was an RFC.  Yeah, thats the ticket, an RFC.  So um, what
> >> do ya'll think?
> > 
> > Well, what with the large number of offices currently filled,
> > and the lack of any need to perform the duties of an Optional Office when
> > it is vacant, the Speaker's role as officer of last resort isn't all that
> > busy.  I think that eir role as OiCoRT (or Dice Harfer) is the main job
> > they have, and so there isn't really any need to hive it off.
> 
> Is this really true? The fact is that the Speaker is in charge of
> harfing everything that isn't already assigned to someone else. I
> honestly am not sure how much work this currently entails.

I tend to agree with breadbox here, obviously.  The Speaker has plenty to
do.  This might be the most time consuming thing the Speaker does, but all
the more reason to make it something seperate.

> 
> In any case, it might be better to make the Speaker the default OiCRT,
> but allow the possibility of having someone else fill that office.
> 

You might be right.  Perhaps I will instead give the Speaker the authority
to appoint an OiCRT if he wishes to and can find a volunteer.  In fact, I
am positive that I will do that rather than creating a new office, unless
someone sees a problem with the idea.

> Oh yeah, and I would also really prefer to keep the title Officer in
> Charge of Random Things.
> 

So do I, and what with it being used in various locations throughout the
rules, it would be more work than it is worth to change it.  that's why I
was literally intending to lift the text from the Speaker Rule and stick
in a Rule by itself.  It would ahe said that the Dice-Harfer is the
Officer in charge of random things...

> By the way, the Dice Server is very easy to use. You just send it an
> email. The full instructions are in Rule 1250.3.
> 

what, me read the rules?

> breadbox
> 

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:35:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

> I am positive that Alfvaen is the Acting Speaker.  Rule 413 says
> that it is the Duty of the Clerk of the Court to be the Acting
> Speaker if there is no Speaker.  Acting Officers are required to
> carry out the duties of the Offices they Acting in.  Alfvaen is the
> Acting Clerk of the Court, and thus is required to carry out its
> duties, which includes being Acting Speaker.

Yes, that was my thought too.

> I point out that, if breadbox and more importantly Alfvaen think it
> is a good idea, the President has the authority to call a Proposal
> Moratorium.  Now that I actually read the rule though, I have to
> wonder what good preventing officers and only officers from
> submiting proposals is.  Is this some kind of long standing mistake?

Oh my. That's hilarious. It must be a mistake. I wonder when that
crept in?

In any case, I would prefer that we not call a Moratorium. If I don't
have any extra duties, then there's no need. Besides, we may find
later that we need to get something in ASAP. For now I would prefer to
rely on the players' good will.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:15:15 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Posthumous Proposals

Hmmm.  Should I presume that Malenkai gains no "posthumous" points
for any of his Proposals that passed after he left?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Archaeology is the only profession where your future lies in ruins.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:27:40 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: proposal

> Doh, meant to send this straight to breadbox.  OK, this wasn't a
> submission, it was an RFC.  Yeah, thats the ticket, an RFC.  So um, what
> do ya'll think?

I always wanted to be the OiCoRT, so I would in general not mind it.
However, since I'm actually gunning for Speaker now, it could stay as
part of the Speaker job...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
The monkey ate the typewriter.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:48:00 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

> > > If I am Acting Speaker, I am appointing rufus Acting Clerk of the
> > > Court, since e was the first one whose message evincing interest in
> > > the position I saw.

> > Wait. The CotC is a Functional Office, so it's the President's duty.
> > You should do that regardless of Speakerhood.

> Yes, I believe breadbox is correct here.  The President has the authority
> to appoint players acting Functional Officers if the Officer is on
> vacation, but not if the Office is entirely vacant.  Alfvaen is still the
> Acting Clerk of the Court, I don't think he can get out of it until he has
> selected an eligible Nominee.

Actually, I think what breadbox meant that whether or not I was Acting
Speaker, I was still President and still had to fill Functional Offices.
And e was correct.

> > > I'm still not clear on whose duty it would be to conduct nominations
> > > for Political Offices; Speaker, Praetor, and mr cwm's Senate seat are
> > > vacant right now.

> > Whoever winds up as acting Speaker must conduct the Nominations. This
> > much at least I feel I know.

> I am positive that Alfvaen is the Acting Speaker.  Rule 413 says that it
> is the Duty of the Clerk of the Court to be the Acting Speaker if there is
> no Speaker.  Acting Officers are required to carry out the duties of the
> Offices they Acting in.  Alfvaen is the Acting Clerk of the Court, and
> thus is required to carry out its duties, which includes being Acting
> Speaker.

Oh, I never thought of looking in the Clerk of the Court rules.  I
guess that clarifies the Speaker rule then.  I am, indeed, Acting
Speaker.  However, this means that I did not in fact appoint rufus
Acting Clerk of the Courts, because whether or not there is an Acting
Speaker, there is no Speaker, and thus the Acting CotC would have the
duty of being Acting Speaker anyway.  Thoughts?

> I point out that, if breadbox and more importantly Alfvaen think it is a
> good idea, the President has the authority to call a Proposal Moratorium.
> Now that I actually read the rule though, I have to wonder what good
> preventing officers and only officers from submiting proposals is.  Is
> this some kind of long standing mistake?

No, it says that officers are prevented from _distributing_ proposals.
Anybody can submit, but the Promoter cannot distribute.  Clearer?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Check it out now and you'll probably get what you were just going to find.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:50:14 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Speaker

I hereby volunteer for the office of Speaker.  For those who are(rightly)
concerned about the concentration of Speakerly and Presidential power in
one individual, I hereby swear to resign as President if I am elected
as Speaker.  If Contracts still existed I would sign a Contract; as it
is, you'll just have to trust me.  I wouldn't be able to scam anything
with a State of Crisis anyway.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--M+M:Song In My Head
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
You play glockenspiel, I'll play drums.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:52:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

>> Yes, I believe breadbox is correct here.  The President has the authority
>> to appoint players acting Functional Officers if the Officer is on
>> vacation, but not if the Office is entirely vacant.  Alfvaen is still the
>> Acting Clerk of the Court, I don't think he can get out of it until he has
>> selected an eligible Nominee.
> 
> Actually, I think what breadbox meant that whether or not I was Acting
> Speaker, I was still President and still had to fill Functional Offices.
> And e was correct.

Right, but what Vynd was also saying is that you cannot appoint rufus
to be acting CotC, because you can only due that when the real CotC is
on vacation. If the office is truly unfilled, you must remain as the
acting officer until after the nomination.

>> I point out that, if breadbox and more importantly Alfvaen think it is a
>> good idea, the President has the authority to call a Proposal Moratorium.
>> Now that I actually read the rule though, I have to wonder what good
>> preventing officers and only officers from submiting proposals is.  Is
>> this some kind of long standing mistake?
>
> No, it says that officers are prevented from _distributing_ proposals.
> Anybody can submit, but the Promoter cannot distribute.  Clearer?

Oh. D'oh!

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:56:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Speaker

> I hereby volunteer for the office of Speaker.  For those who
> are(rightly) concerned about the concentration of Speakerly and
> Presidential power in one individual, I hereby swear to resign as
> President if I am elected as Speaker.  If Contracts still existed I
> would sign a Contract; as it is, you'll just have to trust me.  I
> wouldn't be able to scam anything with a State of Crisis anyway.
> :-)

Alfvaen, I have no problem with you being both the Speaker and the
President. This issue came up before when Speaker Robert Sevin was our
first President, and the counterargument was made (and correctly so, I
feel): What concentration of power? The Speaker has very little power
(though admittedly e has more than e did back then). It's really a
Functional Office (despite being classified as a Political Office,
which I assume is solely for the purpose of it being an elected
position).

Of course, you must do what you feel is right.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:10:41 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: CotC Nomination?

Has our exalted president called a Nomination for Clerk of the Court?  I
don't think e has, but I might have missed it.  If there is a Nomination,
I put myself into consideration.  Otherwise, I called on the President to
conduct a nomination.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:19:54 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: CotC Nomination?

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> Has our exalted president called a Nomination for Clerk of the Court?  I
> don't think e has, but I might have missed it.  If there is a Nomination,
> I put myself into consideration.  Otherwise, I called on the President to
> conduct a nomination.

I see that our exalted president has called a nomination for CotC.  I seem
to have created a non-deterministic mail filter for acka-priv mail.  Some
goes where it is supposed to, and some goes, well, Somewhere Else.  Sort
of cool.  Annonying, but cool.

rufus

> 
> rufus
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:23:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Posthumous Proposals

> Hmmm.  Should I presume that Malenkai gains no "posthumous" points
> for any of his Proposals that passed after he left?

Probably not. An Undead is not really a player, and furthermore an
Undead's possessions can only be manipulated by an action of the
Undead. I would imagine that includes altering the Undead's score.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:20:14 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction Results

> > 2 Grave Robber	A$80	Rex Mundi

> I play 1 of my Grave Robber cards on Chaos, hoping for /dev/joe's legacy.
> ;-)

You try ineffectually to scrabble away at the dirt over Chaos's grave
with your fingers, but since you have no shovel, the card has no effect.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
A signature always reveals a man's character -and sometimes even his name.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:11:31 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Tornado

Didn't I just do this?

I'm presuming, since I haven't bothered to check Slakko's most recent
map, that everyone who was Sheltered for the last Tornado is still
Sheltered.  If anyone has moved, let me know and I'll recalc.

Cycle 1:

two-star got rufus's score of 93.
rufus got Crackfoo's score of 53.
Crackfoo got Calvin N Hobbes's score of 16.
Calvin N Hobbes got Rex Mundi's score of 30.
Rex Mundi got breadbox's score of 73.
breadbox got Bill the pirate king's score of 0.
Bill the pirate king got Robert Sevin's score of 0.
Robert Sevin got Goldenmean's score of 1.
Goldenmean got two-star's score of 39.

Cycle 2:

Antimatter got Fortunato's score of 64.
Fortunato got Karma's score of 0.
Karma got Archie Leach's score of 56.
Archie Leach got Red Barn's score of 42.
Red Barn got Vynd's score of 20.
Vynd got Antimatter's score of 0.

Cycle 3:

Michael Wren got Michael Wren's score of 38.

Cycle 4:

Niccolo Flychuck got Niccolo Flychuck's score of 11.

So, three players' scores were unchanged.  My apologies to Bill the pirate
king; with 0 points, you could reasonable expect to gain points in a
Tornado, but unfortunately it didn't happen.  A lot of changearounds
otherwise, though.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Got my tie caught in a fax machine--suddenly I was in LA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:34:48 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Speaker

> Alfvaen, I have no problem with you being both the Speaker and the
> President. This issue came up before when Speaker Robert Sevin was our
> first President, and the counterargument was made (and correctly so, I
> feel): What concentration of power? The Speaker has very little power
> (though admittedly e has more than e did back then). It's really a
> Functional Office (despite being classified as a Political Office,
> which I assume is solely for the purpose of it being an elected
> position).

> Of course, you must do what you feel is right.

Well, I do feel that it would be a bit much to be Speaker and
President, and I'm sure the megalomaniacal urges that make me seek
power would be satisfied with just being Speaker.  (And OiCoRT...)

So I might as well let someone else have a chance at President, having
hogged it long enough.  After the rest of the Official mess is cleared
up.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
All may yet be very well.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:36:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

> [...]
> Rex Mundi got breadbox's score of 73.
> breadbox got Bill the pirate king's score of 0.
> Bill the pirate king got Robert Sevin's score of 0.
> [...]

Oh, I have been *robbed*.

Malenkai, I'll get you for this.

breadbox
who says points are no fun?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:37:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Nominations

As Acting Speaker, I believe it is also my duty to conduct Nominations
for the positions of Praetor and Senator (Seat Rebus 8-{}).  So I
officially declare such Nominations open; reply to this message to
volunteer(though be clear which one you want...:-).

(Oh, yes, by the way, the Markovian Dream is from Jack L. Chalker's
Well World books, where an ancient race which had basically created
the universe as we know it(not to be confused with their own universe)
was dubbed the Markovians after being discovered by somebody named
Markov.  Very, very good books, IMHO, and highly recommended, although
Chalker is not for everybody...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Charlie Daniels Band:The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
"How are you today?"  "Fine--I'm feeling very gruntled."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:45:33 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Speaker

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I hereby volunteer for the office of Speaker.  For those who are(rightly)
> concerned about the concentration of Speakerly and Presidential power in
> one individual, I hereby swear to resign as President if I am elected
> as Speaker.  If Contracts still existed I would sign a Contract; as it
> is, you'll just have to trust me.  I wouldn't be able to scam anything
> with a State of Crisis anyway.  :-)
> 

I think they do still exist, actually.  My attempt to repeal them failed,
at least.  So far as you becoming the Speaker is concerned, well I was
kind of hoping you would volunteer.  I can think of few players as well
qualified, and none better.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:55:55 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

Did the Tornaod occur when Malenkai played his card, or only just now when
you announced its results?  If it was when he played the card, I was in
Vulcan HQ at the time, and sheltered.  If it was just now, then I was not
sheltered since I have recently returned to my home, and The Faceless
State frowns upon towers.

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:08:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

> Did the Tornaod occur when Malenkai played his card, or only just
> now when you announced its results?

>   Rule 1240.4/2
>   Otzma Card of type Summon Tornado
>   Malenkai (Randy Hall)
> 
> A Card of this type can only be played in the public forum.
> 
> A Tornado shall sweep through Acka 4 days after this card takes effect
> [i.e., 7 days after it is played].

*cough*

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 02:44:02 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Did the Tornaod occur when Malenkai played his card, or only just
> > now when you announced its results?
> 
> >   Rule 1240.4/2
> >   Otzma Card of type Summon Tornado
> >   Malenkai (Randy Hall)
> > 
> > A Card of this type can only be played in the public forum.
> > 
> > A Tornado shall sweep through Acka 4 days after this card takes effect
> > [i.e., 7 days after it is played].
> 
> *cough*
> 
> breadbox
> 

Thansk breadbox, its for occasions like this, when I need to know
something from the Rules, that you other players can be downright useful.
:)

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 02:49:47 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: politeness moon hearing....

I suppose that announcing the results of the Politeness Moon hearing
Niccolo called on Malenkai is still required?  I don't see any mechanism
for it not happening.

Anyways, the result is 'Yes, it was Polite."  I am not sure if Malenkai
gets the nickname "Jazz JackRabbit" or not.  The rule says the player gets
the nickname, and Malenkai is no longer a player.  

voting results below.

rufus
Count Tabula

No, it was not polite.

Alfvaen

Yes, it was polite.

ThinMan
else...if
Malenkai  (does his vote count?)
Rex Mundi

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:05:51 -1000
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let's slow down a bit

I nominate myself for Speaker

Brian Raiter wrote:

> > Because there is no Clerk of the Court, only an Acting Clerk of the
> > Court (and for that matter only a default Acting Clerk of the Court,
> > not that that would cut any ice with the Rules...).  That is my take
> > on it.
>
> All right. I'm willing to go with that for the time being.
>
> I suppose that would also mean that there is no problem with my being
> a Justice at the same time. (Wait, I think I remember a CFJ on
> that....)
>
> >> Actually, you/I/we need to make a few Speakerly actions just to elect
> >> a new Speaker.
> >
> > If it is the case that I am the Speaker, I announce the beginning of a
> > Nomination for Speaker.
>
> If it is the case that I am the (acting) Speaker, I announce the
> beginning of a Nomination for Speaker. Please send your Nominations to
> the main list.
>
> breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:13:37 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka:mentor

aaron shapiro wrote:
> 
> Wait a minute. I think I recall a post mentioning two star being on vacation.
> He is upposed to be my mentor.
> (not that ive mailed anything other to a greeting to him)

Actually, I've returned from vacation. Not that I've done anything
since. The hats and eggplants are forthcoming, and I apologize profusely
for the delay. (Does Malenkai get them posthumusly?)

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 08:25:13 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

Social Distortion
is the best band in the world
I cash this Trinket.

Thanks to Malenkai
Fictionary is on hold
Until I'm not Hosed.

Similarly thanks
Are due to Mal for slowing
Down Party Chess play.

Bandwidth Wasting Gizz
Lasers aimed at Officers
Could force countless crimes.

Huberting could mean
These players take far too long
To say public things.

Suppose Promoter
Is zapped when results are due
Proposal rhymeless

Promoter helpless
Cannot send the vote results
Or else they lose cash.

I take all my cash
Make a trinket which is called
Repeal Bee Dub Gee

The trinket looks just
Like a big laser with a
Cork shoved in the front.

Now though I be Hosed
No more harm can come to me
When poems aren't sent.

Yours after this excessive Haiku attacko,
The Lost Warner Brother, Duncan aka Slakko!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:43:31 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Bandwidth Wasting Gizz
> Lasers aimed at Officers
> Could force countless crimes.
> 
> Huberting could mean
> These players take far too long
> To say public things.

Yup.

> 
> Suppose Promoter
> Is zapped when results are due
> Proposal rhymeless
> 
> Promoter helpless
> Cannot send the vote results
> Or else they lose cash.
> 

Actually, this has happened, to breadbox.  I think his rhyming voting
results were a Silver Moon candidate last time around, I know they were at
least discussed.  He isn't required to give the text of the proposals,
just the results of the votes.

> I take all my cash
> Make a trinket which is called
> Repeal Bee Dub Gee
> 
> The trinket looks just
> Like a big laser with a
> Cork shoved in the front.
> 

I'm all for it.  This is just one of several blueprints I really really
dislike.  Perhaps because in general I really really dislike blueprints
and gadgets.  I toyed with the idea of trying to repeal it, but I
suspected that any attempt would get me hosed.  For the time being, I
believe we are safe from this possibility.

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 08:45:06 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: mr cwm's jobs

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> I apologize for this. It was a simple understandable mistake made by having
> very little time available to go online today. Your laughable hall of
> Elders is something for which there is no excuse however. You still have
> several of these great Acka citizens (may they rest in peace) as owning
> things that no longer exist. Such sloppiness would have them turning in
> their graves, and could tear apart the foundations of Acka :-)

How dare you!  Look for the beam in your own eye, say I!  You who have not
even attempted to induct the latest members into the Hall!  You who have
done nothing to make the list of Holidays more accessible!  You who sit
back and dare to mock me when you have not even bothered with a BGCOLOR
tag!

> My gallery is functional. Snazzy backgrounds only detract from the true
> purpose, as does having links to personal organizations such as Newspapers.
> This is clearly an attempt at personal gain. As for mr cwm, I like to treat
> all players equally, providing each with the same amount of space. If and
> when he becomes an elder I shall review this process.

Get reviewing, buckaroo.  Your slavish devotion at the altar of complete
equality has led you to overlook reality.

Yours,
The wierd Slakko
- --
Duncan "" Richer aka
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:46:52 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Kneecaps

I support the nominations of Malenkai and mr cwm to the hall of elders.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:54:06 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: destroying the green

I am turning in
sculpture 7, sculpture 11, sculpture 17, sculpture 19, sculpture 23, and
sculpture 29 for cash. (should work out to 738 A$) I am giving 607 A$ to
else..if. Sorry about the wait.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:14:02 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> As Acting Speaker, I believe it is also my duty to conduct Nominations
> for the positions of Praetor and Senator (Seat Rebus 8-{}).  So I
> officially declare such Nominations open; reply to this message to
> volunteer(though be clear which one you want...:-).

I nominate now
For the post of Senator
Seat Rebus Squiggle.

I believe that that
statement unambiguous
as to my intent.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:47:32 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> So, three players' scores were unchanged.  My apologies to Bill the pirate
> king; with 0 points, you could reasonable expect to gain points in a
> Tornado, but unfortunately it didn't happen.  A lot of changearounds
> otherwise, though.

You mentioned something about a request from a new player.  If this player
joins before the Tornado hits, of course, you'll have to redo this.
Anyway, given that this is public, will you still be able to use the
results if&when the Tornado actually does take hold, or will you need to
reroll them?

Yours Hosed and Penniless,
Slakko
- --
Duncan "" Richer aka
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:57:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

>> Suppose Promoter
>> Is zapped when results are due
>> Proposal rhymeless
>> 
>> Promoter helpless
>> Cannot send the vote results
>> Or else they lose cash.
>> 
> 
> Actually, this has happened, to breadbox.  I think his rhyming voting
> results were a Silver Moon candidate last time around, I know they were at
> least discussed.  He isn't required to give the text of the proposals,
> just the results of the votes.

Slakko was referring to the Promoter's job, not the Tabulator's. Note
that the BWG Laser Blueprint specifically excludes "quoted material
written by someone else", so I was perfectly safe in distributing
proposals while Hosed, and in fact I did.

Since Promoted proposals are just forwards, it's possible that I could
squeak by on the fact that I did not "author" any of the text in the
message.

>> I take all my cash
>> Make a trinket which is called
>> Repeal Bee Dub Gee
>> 
>> The trinket looks just
>> Like a big laser with a
>> Cork shoved in the front.
>> 
> 
> I'm all for it.  This is just one of several blueprints I really really
> dislike.  Perhaps because in general I really really dislike blueprints
> and gadgets.  I toyed with the idea of trying to repeal it, but I
> suspected that any attempt would get me hosed.  For the time being, I
> believe we are safe from this possibility.

While I have a strong mistrust of Gadgets as well, for me things like
the BWG Laser make it all worthwhile. I love that sucker, and ask that
you consider keeping it. The fact that the effects only last for three
days should allow a Hosed Officer to not violate Speed.

On the other hand, I'm willing to admit that it could do with a few
checks on its power. Adding a three-day wait somewhere in the process
would probably be a good idea.

Now the BWG Laser Shotgun Attachment: *that* should be repealed.

breadbox

PS: I'm bored with all this haiku! I wanna see a sonnet!

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #457
*******************************