Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #451
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Thursday, January 8 1998       Volume 02 : Number 451

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 20:28:27 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CIL

I place myself on the CFJ ineligibility list.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 20:31:32 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 510 (The Gingham Wearer)

The Gingham Wearer, who seems to be a big fan of my
die, has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 510
  Subject: Weasel Words
Initiator: Balsamic Dragon
Submitted: 98-01-08 10:12
    Judge: The Gingham Wearer (selected 98-01-08 20:30)
Judgement: 

Statement:

The words "polite as possible" in Rule 374 are weasel words.

Balsamic Dragon's Reasoning:

I don't think the standard of "polite as possible" is attainable or
necessary for the enjoyment of the game by all players.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 20:35:19 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 511 (/dev/joe)

/dev/joe has been selected for CFJ 511.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 511
  Subject: Vulcan busting
Initiator: Rex Mundi
Submitted: 98-01-08 19:18
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected 98-01-08 20:35)
Judgement: 

Statement: If P2563, Romulan invasion, passes, Rule 1 will be repealed.

Rex Mundi's Reasoning: 

P2563 states
Vulcan changes its name to the following double-quote delimited string:
"Rule 1 is repealed. "
Rule 1 states
If Vulcan's name is ever legally changed, then all instances of the string
"Vulcan" in this rule are simultaneously replaced with Vulcan's new name.
(The quotation marks in the previous sentence are delimiters only, not part
of the specified string.)
If this replacement takes place, the first sentence of R1 will change from
"Vulcan once ruled Ackanomic." to "Rule 1 is repealed. once ruled
Ackanomic." This first part of this forms a sentence, repealing Rule 1. So
the issue is whether or not this replacement takes place.
In general, it would be possible to change Vulcan's name in this way, eg to
"Klingon" or something, so we examine the final paragraph of R1 to see
whether or not it permits this change.
"This rule may not be amended, changed in any way, or repealed, or for any
reason cease to be in force, except as described in this rule."
The above replacement is described in R1.
"If this rule conflicts with any other rule, then this rule shall guide
play. No new rule may be created which, if it conflicted with this one,
would guide play instead of this one. No rule may be amended or otherwise
changed so that, if it conflicted with this one, it would guide play
instead of this one."
None of these is relevant, since no other rule is involved.
"No new rule may be created, nor any existing rule changed in any way so as
to specify any alternative definition for any of the language of this
rule."
It could be argued that changing the name to an action is a change in
definition; however, I do not believe this is the case, since the language
itself, not the definition, is being changed.
"The game state may not be altered in such a way as to cause the customary
interpretation of this rule to be changed."
Again, it is not the interpretation that is being changed, it is the rule
itself.
"This rule shall still be interpreted according to game custom, however,
and this rule shall not be interpreted so as to forbid its correct
interpretation from being established via otherwise legal CFJ proceedings."
This sentence does not prevent P2563 having its intended effect.
Since no part of R1 prevents this either, I believe that if P2563 passes,
Rule 1 will be repealed.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:43:31 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: House teleportation

If possible, and providing rufus accepts, I would like to swap my kaa of
land, including house, at K2, for rufus's kaa, including house, at M6.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:47:12 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Bidding...

I bid 60 A$ on the Grave Robber lot.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 03:02:09 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Let me in!

I politely ring the door chime of Vulcan Headquarters, asking to be let in.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:27:44 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Let me in!

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> I politely ring the door chime of Vulcan Headquarters, asking to be let in.
> 
> Rex Mundi.
> 

I run over to Vulcan Headquarters from my house.  Huffing from the
exertion, I ask Rex Mundi, "What do you want?"

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #451
*******************************