Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #430
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, December 21 1997       Volume 02 : Number 430

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:03:41 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Those darn chess pieces

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Well, I finally tracked down the definition of Swinger's Offices, and they
> > aren't defined as entities.  I think it is fair to say that that Ackanomic
> > tradition indicates that they are entities, however.
> 
> Don't be silly.  (No, wait, there's no way to keep you from being Silly,
> never mind...)  Rule 1040 says that Swinger's Offices are either Capital
> Offices or Optional Political Offices.  Rule 401 states that Offices are
> entities.  Named, unownable ones, in fact.

I was unaware ofthe fact that alll Offices were named entities.

> 
> > One could quibble
> > over what having something "stripped" of its name does, but lets assume it
> > became nameless.  While the Party Hall Rule doesn't say that Capital
> > Swingers Offices are entities, it does say that they are named (I don't
> > think this is the case for other Singers Offices).  So if it is a named
> > entity that became nameless, it would indeed be assigned a new name
> > Nameless Thing #X.  I am not sure, but I think there might be a few
> > Nameless Things out there already, so perhaps the Financier can check and
> > see what the lowest positive integer that would create a unique name is.
> 
> As far as I can tell, this is the only Nameless Thing in existence.
> And yes, all Offices are named, from Rule 401.
> 
> > But it definitely was assigned a name then.  This being the case, if
> > Malenkai really did call an Auction them Entities hearing for "The
> > Swinger's Office that is in the Treasury" then that call for a hearing
> > failed. Rule 520 says that "e must specify the name of a Tradeable Ownable
> > Entity which is in the Treasury."
> 
> Capital Offices are tradeable and ownable...
> 
> So, as far as I can tell, it is in fact the case that Malenkai is the
> owner of a Capital Swinger's Office named "Nameless Thing #1".  However,
> it does not come with any pieces, due to what is, as far as I can tell,
> a bug which would not allow _any_ new Capital Swinger's Office to be able
> to choose new pieces, because new Offices are never "created", merely
> taken out of the Treasury.
> 

You missed the point, I think.  Not that I was terribly clear.  Malenkai's
action failed because he did not specify the NAME of a tradeable, ownable
entity.  He said the "Swinger's Office that is in teh Treasury".  So he
failed to meet the requirements to call an Auction Them Entities hearing
for anything, because he did not give the name of thing entity to be
auctioned.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 01:20:10 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 124

There were no objections to this CSR.  It thus goes into effect.

                                      - CSSR Vynd

[email-masked]

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> The following is the text of CSR 124, all " marks are used as delimiters, 
> and are not to be considered part of the text being altered or added.
> 
> Amend Rule 709 Gaol by replacing the phrase "R655 (Treasury and Hard
> Money)" with "R505 (Treasury and AckaDollars)" {{[Anyone know how old that
> line is?]}}.
> 
> Amend Rule 711 Appeal for Pardon by deleting section 3) {{[Redundant]}}.
> 
> Renumber Rule 713 Crime to 701.
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 22:54:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2535

>> I hereby retract my call for a Witchhunt against rufus, as it was not
>> well-formed.
> 
> I'm not sure if one can retract a call for a Witchhunt.  I don't think
> there's anything in Rule 1307 about it, for instance, nor in Rule 330
> (or whatever "Retractions" is).

Rule 360 ("Hearings") permits the initiator of a Hearing to retract
it.

The call for a Witchhunt was in fact well-formed, BTW. Otherwise, it
would not have been successful, and thus could not be retracted.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:12:46 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 500 (Niccolo)

I decline this CFJ.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> CFJ 500 has been assigned to Niccolo.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> - -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgment 500
> Subject: Taxing question
> Initiator: Alfvaen
> Submitted: 97-12-18 20:28
>   Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected 97-12-20 15:26)
> Judgement: 
> 
> Statement:
> 
> The A$10 Balsamic Dragon received at the end of the game of viruses
> e was refereeing was not taxed at the end of Cycle 16.
> 
> Alfvaen's Reasoning:
> 
> Cycle 16 ended when Malenkai "gained 1 win" from Beldin's Pants.  So
> did the abovementioned game of Viruses, for which Balsamic Dragon
> received A$10, when Alfvaen gained 1 win at the same time.
> 
> Now, did this award of A$10 occur _before_ Rule 666 kicked in,
> suspended play, and taxed Balsamic Dragon(among others)20% of eir
> Total Wealth?  No, it occurred at the same time.  So was it taxed?
> What Cycle did Balsamic Dragon receive that money in, or in none at
> all?  Is it possible for events to occur simultaneously with End of
> Cycle?
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:26:43 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation Declaration

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > I suggest that Niccolo Flychuck become Acting Chess-Umpire during my
> > absence.
> 
> This may certainly occur, but e does not have any the privileges or
> duties of the office, so this is kind of a null act.  :-)
I volunteer to be acting chess-umpire in Slakko's absence. As Slakko's
server is off-line for the duration of his vacation - I will put up the
Party Chess web page on my web space - in its old address, as I didn't
catch Slakk'o server before it went down, for now it's the text version,
which I will spruce up tonight to look a bit more presentable.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:18:29 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: This sux

I specify Malenkai's Castle and say

"Hey, you, get off of my cloud"

- ---

I go to Vulcan headquarters.

- ---

[note to rule harfer -- repeal rule 949 soon]

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 13:27:11 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Next step

> > The Gingham Wearer
> Sculpture 5

Here is my description of sculpture 5:

It is a large question mark made out of diamond but for some
inexplicable reason painted with low quality dark blue paint. The two
separate bits of the question mark are kept the correct distance apart
by a cunning collection of magnets located inside the hand carved ivory
base. In the base is scratched "Pete 4 Sally"

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 01:29:47 -1000
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 495 Verdict

At the time judgment was invoked on this CFJ, the game state was such that the CFJ
had not yet been judged. Thus the statement "this CFJ is Flase" was false.

R215
All Judgements must be in accordance with all the rules in effect at the time
judgement as invoked, and with respect to the game state at that time.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 09:54:33 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 495 Verdict

>At the time judgment was invoked on this CFJ, the game state was such that
>the CFJ
>had not yet been judged. Thus the statement "this CFJ is Flase" was false.

	It didn't say "This CFJ is judged FALSE" or anything of the sort.
All it did was state as a fact that the CFJ it was embedded in was FALSE.
Since there was no time during which the statement existed as a portion of
the game state during which the CFJ did not, there is no problem with the
statement.  It is a perfectly standard CFJ: it makes a statement about the
game state, and it is up to the judge to determine whether the statement is
accurate or not.

- --
Omnium pro iure, ius pro omnio

- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	"I think the true test of a genius is the ability to see the
follies of one's own times.  The ability to change one's own times is the
true test of a leader.  And the ability to do both is the true test of a
visionary who will never be elected."
	-Marilyn vos Savant

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:04:19 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Those darn chess pieces

> You missed the point, I think.  Not that I was terribly clear.  Malenkai's
> action failed because he did not specify the NAME of a tradeable, ownable
> entity.  He said the "Swinger's Office that is in teh Treasury".  So he
> failed to meet the requirements to call an Auction Them Entities hearing
> for anything, because he did not give the name of thing entity to be
> auctioned.

Do you disagree that I succeeded in auctioning a BPWayne a few weeks ago?
I didn't name that one either.  There was, apparently, only one Swinger's
Office in the Treasury, so this was an unambiguous specification.  If
Malenkai's call didn't work, then the BPWayne one didn't either.

I really should fix Rule 520 sometime, because it's clumsy enough as it
is, and if it doesn't work any nameless entity...  And what named entity
_is_ there in the Treasury?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Brutal Youth
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
'Drop the gun,' said Tom, with a disarming smile.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:39:34 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Sundry Awards

The recent batch of Proposals has led to no fewer than _three_ awards.

Slakko finally, with the acceptance of Proposal 2497, has reached the
Blue Cross Rank of 20.  I thus award em with the Blue Cross.  Pity e
isn't here to enjoy it.  :-)

Niccolo Flychuck reached BCR 100 with the passage of Proposal 2502.
Thus, I award em a Gold Stripe; eir 3 Silver Stripes dissolve into
nothingness as I do so.

Finally, I myself reached BCR 70 with the passage of Proposal 2498.
So I award myself another Silver Stripe.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Brutal Youth
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Support your local medical examiner: die strangely.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:27:06 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation Declaration

> > > I suggest that Niccolo Flychuck become Acting Chess-Umpire during my
> > > absence.

> > This may certainly occur, but e does not have any the privileges or
> > duties of the office, so this is kind of a null act.  :-)

> I volunteer to be acting chess-umpire in Slakko's absence. As Slakko's
> server is off-line for the duration of his vacation - I will put up the
> Party Chess web page on my web space - in its old address, as I didn't
> catch Slakk'o server before it went down, for now it's the text version,
> which I will spruce up tonight to look a bit more presentable.

Well, I might as well...I appoint Niccolo Flychuck to be Acting
Chess-Umpire.  His server's offline?  I didn't know that...well, I guess
I won't put up a Map-Harfer page or anything.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Brutal Youth
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
I think that I shall never see--my contact lens fell in my tea.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:15:07 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Proposal Chart

Some of you are probably acquainted with the "Proposals by Player" page,
or "Proposal Chart" or propchart.html.

One of the things it lists is the type of each proposal.  breadbox has
mentioned to me that most of them are archaic, since it is no longer the
case that a Proposal can only contain one rule change, and Transmutations
and Resolutions are obsolete.  And I can't recall the last time there was
an "Overturn CFJ" Proposal, either.

I personally wouldn't care if the Proposal type thing was removed entirely
from the page.  I don't mind marking modesty, grandiosity, foolishness,
harfiness, etc., but it takes me extra time to figure out the type of each
Proposal, particularly when they're being retracted.  So if nobody objects,
I'll stop recording that information, and probably remove the current
information of that type from the page(which will be a bit of work, but
I'll only have to do it once...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Brutal Youth
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They hate that.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:42:17 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chicken

I hereby buy a 35m tower for Tamson House, for A$105.  Okay, so I don't
to lose my hard-earned points this time...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello:Brutal Youth
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Give me a black as bright as it is hot.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:57:10 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Those darn chess pieces

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > You missed the point, I think.  Not that I was terribly clear.  Malenkai's
> > action failed because he did not specify the NAME of a tradeable, ownable
> > entity.  He said the "Swinger's Office that is in teh Treasury".  So he
> > failed to meet the requirements to call an Auction Them Entities hearing
> > for anything, because he did not give the name of thing entity to be
> > auctioned.
> 
> Do you disagree that I succeeded in auctioning a BPWayne a few weeks ago?
> I didn't name that one either.  There was, apparently, only one Swinger's
> Office in the Treasury, so this was an unambiguous specification.  If
> Malenkai's call didn't work, then the BPWayne one didn't either.
> 
> I really should fix Rule 520 sometime, because it's clumsy enough as it
> is, and if it doesn't work any nameless entity...  And what named entity
> _is_ there in the Treasury?
> 

Well, now that you point it out, that shouldn't have happened either.  The
Rule does specificaly say that you must name the entity to be auctioned.
You're right it should be fixed, but as it stands the Swingers Office was
not transfered.  I'd imagine the BPWayne happened too long ago at this
point.  I guess I'd best submit a CFJ just to make everything official.

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 01:04:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Chess Umpireship

The way I see the rules, once Slakko left on Vacation PartChess, including
all PartyChess deadline is suspented. If Alfvaen does indeed appoint me in
an acting position, I intend to carry out the duties, and once I'm
appointed, the chess clock will start ticking again.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:46:20 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Failure

It looks like Slakko's most recent financial transaction, giving
A$110 to Religious Nutcase, failed, as thus did its purchase of a
Trade License and a Synod Seat.

However, I still haven't untangled what _did_ happen with the Synod
thing.  That's my next project.  <shudder>

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stay Awake
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:41:00 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Tornado

As far as I can tell, the following players were Sheltered:

The Gingham Wearer and else...if at The Gingham Abode.
/dev/joe, ThinMan, and Malenkai at Vulcan Headquarters.
Slakko at Slakko's House.
K 2 at K 2's House.
Balsamic Dragon at Balsamic Dragon's Cave
Alfvaen at Tamson House.

The rest of the scores were redistributed as follows:

rufus got Niccolo Flychuck's 73 points.
Niccolo Flychuck got Archie Leach's 0 points.
Archie Leach got two-star's 56 points.
two-star got breadbox's 51 points.
breadbox got Rex Mundi's 39 points.
Rex Mundi got Antimatter's 0 points.
Antimatter got Robert Sevin's 0 points.
Robert Sevin got Karma's 0 points.
Karma got norpan's 0 points.
norpan got Fortunato's 37 points.
Fortunato got Crackfoo's 58 points.
Crackfoo got rufus's 39 points.

(That's one permutation cycle...)

Michael Wren got Vynd's 38 points.
Vynd got Michael Wren's 0 points.

(That's two cycles...)

Red Barn got mr cwm's 35 points.
mr cwm got Calvin N Hobbes's -10 points.
Calvin N Hobbes got Red Barn's 16 points.

(That's three cycles.)

The results should be up on the scores page momentarily.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stay Awake
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Well, how about that--this tagline is about me!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:49:44 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka : Chess Umpireship

> The way I see the rules, once Slakko left on Vacation PartChess, including
> all PartyChess deadline is suspented. If Alfvaen does indeed appoint me in
> an acting position, I intend to carry out the duties, and once I'm
> appointed, the chess clock will start ticking again.

But Chess-Umpire is an Optional Office, so the Acting Chess-Umpire has
no privileges _and_ no duties.  So I think this leaves you unable to
Umpire Chess at all.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stay Awake
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
You must serve the goddess of Trivia before you deserve to serve any others.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:56:01 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Those darn chess pieces

> > Do you disagree that I succeeded in auctioning a BPWayne a few weeks ago?
> > I didn't name that one either.  There was, apparently, only one Swinger's
> > Office in the Treasury, so this was an unambiguous specification.  If
> > Malenkai's call didn't work, then the BPWayne one didn't either.

> Well, now that you point it out, that shouldn't have happened either.  The
> Rule does specificaly say that you must name the entity to be auctioned.
> You're right it should be fixed, but as it stands the Swingers Office was
> not transfered.  I'd imagine the BPWayne happened too long ago at this
> point.  I guess I'd best submit a CFJ just to make everything official.

If it just said "must name an entity", that would probably work, since the
verb "to name" could encompass just specifying a type.  But "specify the
name of an entity" wouldn't work.

I'm beginning to think that you _are_ right, and that neither the BPWayne
auction nor the Swinger's Office auction occurred.  The BPWayne one can
be covered by retroactivity, of course...  Go ahead and submit the CFJ,
though, in case I'm wrong.

Time to write some Proposals, I guess...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stay Awake
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Gravity is a myth.  The Earth sucks.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:31:16 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Another Award

Brother two-star has pointed out that the Proposal Chart page was missing
Proposal 2055 through 2061.  With the addition of those, Malenkai's Blue
Cross Rank goes up above 2081, so I hereby award him another Silver
Stripe.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stay Awake
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
Every colour that's not black is a shade of off-white.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:28:26 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chess RFC

This is intended to fix the problem that Malenkai would have had with
the Capital Swinger's Office if the auction for it had been properly
called.  :-)

RFC: Get It Right The Next Time

{{[ To allow recycling of Capital Swinger's Offices... ]}}

Amend Rule 1040, "Party Hall", as follows:

In Section III.B., append the following paragraph(delimited by SASS):

SASS
Whenever a Capital Swinger's Office is transferred to the Treasury,
it becomes nameless, and is considered to have been destroyed for the
purposes of the Party Chess Rule Suite.  Whenever a Capital Swinger's
Office is transferred from the Treasury, it is considered to have just
been created, for the purposes of the Party Chess Rule Suite, and the
Office's new owner is permitted to rename it, if e was not allowed to
do so under section 3 above.
SASS

#end RFC

Since Capital Offices are not created nor destroyed, we just have to
let the Party Chess rules think they are.  The last clause also allows
for nontraditional transfers from the Treasury to occur.

I'm not _really_ keen on making them nameless, but I think it'll save
a little bit of time, and Rule 500.1 can handle it.  And why bother
rewriting that?  (Hmmm...would it be possible to just declare any
Capital Swinger's Offices in the treasury nameless, overriding the
default namedness of Offices?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Jeff Buckley:Grace
Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
This was written by an infinite number of monkeys.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:46:38 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chess RFC

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> This is intended to fix the problem that Malenkai would have had with
> the Capital Swinger's Office if the auction for it had been properly
> called.  :-)
> 
> RFC: Get It Right The Next Time
> 
z> {{[ To allow recycling of Capital Swinger's Offices... ]}}
>

It might make sense to destroy it and create a named marker when puting it
in the treasury.  When the marker is removed, it would be replaced by a
brand-spanking new Capital Swinger Office.  It looks like it is impossible
to call an Auction Them Entities Hearing on a unnamed entity.  (So you
can't call an auction on the A$ in the treasury..., too bad.)  

rufus

> Since Capital Offices are not created nor destroyed, we just have to
> let the Party Chess rules think they are.  The last clause also allows
> for nontraditional transfers from the Treasury to occur.
> 
> I'm not _really_ keen on making them nameless, but I think it'll save
> a little bit of time, and Rule 500.1 can handle it.  And why bother
> rewriting that?  (Hmmm...would it be possible to just declare any
> Capital Swinger's Offices in the treasury nameless, overriding the
> default namedness of Offices?)
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Jeff Buckley:Grace
> Current Book--Fred Saberhagen:The Third Book of Swords
> This was written by an infinite number of monkeys.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:57:28 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 500 (Vynd)

CFJ 500 has been assigned to Vynd.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 500
  Subject: Taxing question
Initiator: Alfvaen
Submitted: 97-12-18 20:28
    Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (declined)
2nd Judge: Vynd (selected 97-12-21 20:57)
Judgement: 

Statement:

The A$10 Balsamic Dragon received at the end of the game of viruses
e was refereeing was not taxed at the end of Cycle 16.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Cycle 16 ended when Malenkai "gained 1 win" from Beldin's Pants.  So
did the abovementioned game of Viruses, for which Balsamic Dragon
received A$10, when Alfvaen gained 1 win at the same time.

Now, did this award of A$10 occur _before_ Rule 666 kicked in,
suspended play, and taxed Balsamic Dragon(among others)20% of eir
Total Wealth?  No, it occurred at the same time.  So was it taxed?
What Cycle did Balsamic Dragon receive that money in, or in none at
all?  Is it possible for events to occur simultaneously with End of
Cycle?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:00:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 501 (Vynd)

CFJ 501 has been assigned to Vynd.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 501
  Subject: Super-Collosal Cycle Win Attempt
Initiator: two-star
Submitted: 97-12-21 16:22
    Judge: Vynd (selected 97-12-21 21:00)
Judgement: 

Statement:
 
two-star owns the Malenkai and Alfvaen's Super-Collosal Cycle Win
Attempt.

initiator's reasoning:

Rule 506 reads, in part,

"A player-created Trinket, whose name contains the name of a current or
former player other than that of the creating player, such that the
player name in question existed before the Trinket was created, is a
forgery. The rules may define other circumstances under which a Trinket
is a forgery. Upon it becoming publically knowable that a Trinket is a
forgery, it is transferred to the Treasury, unless the player name
contained in its name is that of a currently active player, in which
case it is transferred to that player."

The supreme court's CFJ 474 reasoning causes me to believe that this cfj
should be judged false and the OiCoRT should choose one of the set of
players whose names are in the name of the trinket in question to
receive the forgery.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:04:22 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 502 (/dev/joe)

CFJ 502 has been assigned to /dev/joe.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 502
  Subject: Auction them Unnamed Entities
Initiator: Vynd
Submitted: 97-12-21 18:14
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected 97-12-21 21:04)
Judgement: 

Statement:

It is impossible to successfuly call an Auction Them Entities
hearing without specifying the name of the entity to be auctioned.

Vynd's Reasoning:  

Rule 520 states that "When a player calles an Auction them
Entities hearing e must specify the name of a Tradeable Ownable Entity
which is in the Treasury."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:16:20 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 494 (Malenkai)

two-star did not respond.  It has been assigned to Malenkai

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 494
  Subject: Multiple Judges
Initiator: else..if
Submitted: 97-12-16 22:07
    Judge: two-star (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Malenkai (assigned 97-12-21 21:16)
Judgement: 

Statement:

        A new judge must be chosen for CFJ 484.

Reasoning:

        The portion of rule 212 in question says: "The player selected has
3 days in which to accept or refuse the appointment by posting to the
applicable officer....If a selected player actively declines appointment,
then a further random selection is made from the remaining pool."  Clearly,
Balsamic Dragon accepted judgement for CFJ 484, and according to rule 213,
must deliver a judgement.  However, in addition, Balsamic Dragon has
declined judgement.  Therefore a new judge must be chosen.  In particular,
it is worth noting that the conjunction "or" in English is ambiguous, and
can mean "A or B," or "A or B, but not both"  In its strict logical context
however, it is taken to mean the latter.  Since there is no indication
other than game custom that both refusing and accepting is impossible, and
using the strictest definition of the word "or" it is indeed possible,
Balsamic Dragon has both accepted and refused CFJ 484, and a new judge must
be selected.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:20:57 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 484(A) (The Gingham Wearer)

K 2 did not respond.  CFJ 484(A) has been assigned to
The Gingham Wearer.  This is only occurring in the CFJ 494
TRUE thread.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 484(A)
  Subject: Trinkets
Initiator: Malenkai
Submitted: 97-12-11 9:09
    Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Balsamic Dragon (declined)
3rd Judge: K 2 (deadbeat)
4th Judge: The Gingham Wearer (selected 97-12-21 21:20)
Judgement: 

Statement:

Trinkets with a value of negative A$ may not be created.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

I'll write even less for Slakko to critique this time :)

I don't know, a couple people have argued that it was not
possible, we should at least find out.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #430
*******************************