Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #387
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, November 30 1997       Volume 02 : Number 387

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 08:16:32 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: One Question

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> The point of having two Justices is to require them to achieve
> consensus before delivering a verdict.
> 
> The Supreme Court is the end of the road. If the Supreme Court
> disagrees with you, you have no recourse for further appeals. Thus it
> is important that the verdict of the Court not be composed of the
> opinions of one player.
> 
I never said I wanted one player.  I just wondered why it wasn't three.

> The Justices very frequently do not agree at first. Often it is in the
> process of achieving consensus that the deeper issues of a CFJ come to
> light.

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 08:21:29 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > I bid A$50 for it.
> 
> I bid A$ 107 for the Frobnotzer

I bid A$120 for the Frobnotzer

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 08:42:47 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Public Actions

1. I retract good old Proposal 2431.

2. I appeal the judgement on CFJ 475.

Here is my reasoning for the appeal:

In eir Verdict, Alfvaen stated that there was only one instance of a word
with root "win" (in this particular case, "Winners") elsewhere in the
ruleset which lacked a referent.  Further, he stated that the
interpretation of this was "clearly" that of "Winner of a Cycle" according
to game custom.

Here is the last part of Alfvaen's reasoning:

>The question here is whether or not a "win" must necessarily mean
>"winning a Cycle of Ackanomic".

>In the Contests & Games rule suite, as well as the Grab-A-Donkey rule,
>"wins" are referred to, but always in reference to the specific game.
>There is no question of ambiguity in Rule 1250.7, "Game of Pure Skill",
>when it says "Upon a winning condition being met and a winner being
>declared", or "The winner receives a standard Trophy."  If there was,
>then any Cycle winner would receive a standard Trophy; such is not, in
>fact, the case.  So the customary interpretation of "winning" will only
>apply to a subgame if a subgame is referred to specifically, or the
>reference to "winning" appears in the subgame's own rule.

>The only other reference to "winning" I can find in a different context
>is "winner(s)" of an election in Rule 402, which also has a specific
>referent.

>Finally, there is a reference in Rule 420.1, "Historian"--in square
>brackets, so it has no force but that of game custom--to "Winners".
>I do not believe that anyone can doubt this to refer to winners of
>Cycles of Ackanomic.  So "a win", with no other referent, refers to a
>cycle win.

Firstly, the text in question was part of the rule concerning the
Historian, a note about details that were to be kept on a web page:

The duties are to maintain a WWW page of the History of Ackanomic. Content
of the page is up to the Historian [but should include the comings and
goings of political parties (and their agendas); history of Presidents,
Senators, and Winners, notable historical events such as the Quorum
Crisis, etc]. The Historian should maintain a copy of all Historical
Dissertations. 

I note that there is only one WWW page publicly known to exist in
Ackanomic which contains the names of the Winners of Previous Cycles.
This page is not maintained by the Historian, but rather by /dev/joe.  If
game custom were to indicate that the Historian should list Winners of
Previous Cycles on eir page, then current game play contradicts current
game custom, a state which I thought was impossible because "game custom"
includes assumptions about the way the game is currently played.

Secondly, even if the term "Winners" as in Rule 420.1 above is interpreted
as "Winners of Previous Cycles" then there is a problem.  Rule 344, Notes
and Comments, states that 

A left square bracket in a rule or other text begins a note, which ends
with the next following right square bracket, or the end of the rule or
body of text, whichever comes first. [This means that notes do not nest.]
In the Ackanomic language, notes have no semantic meaning, whatever their
lexical content. 

The instance of "Winners" in Rule 420 occurs within a note.  Therefore, in
the language of Ackanomic, it has no semantic meaning.  Therefore it
cannot be interpreted to mean "Winners of Past Cycles", as it cannot be
interpreted to mean anything.

For an illustration, inclusion of a note [Winners are people who in real
life have won an Olympic Gold Medal] would not have any effect on the
definition of the term Winners elsewhere in the rules, because it is in a
note and hence has "no semantic meaning".

Alfvaen's reasoning also claims that the instance of "Winners" in Rule
420.1 "only has the force of game custom".  In repsonse to this, let me
quote from Rule 101:

Game custom, spirit of the game, and linguistic interpretation are
external concepts and are not regulated or part of the game state. 

To avoid tautological statement interpretations, we must find that
linguistic interpretation is not part of game custom.  Therefore, whatever
interpretation is given "Winners" in a situation where it has no semantic
meaning cannot be considered part of game custom.

Therefore, Alfvaen's claim that the only instance of a word whose root is
"win" implies that "win" means "win a Cycle" is erroneous.  Consequently, 
there is no other instance of "win" without a clear referent in the rules,
besides the instance in Beldin's Pants.  Therefore, as there are a number
of things to win in Ackanomic, which one this rule refers to is ambiguous,
and hence the statement should be judged TRUE.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 03:44:26 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 475 Verdict

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> At this stage I'm still mulling over an appeal.  I really only have one
> leg left to stand on, and so I'm going to give people a chance to kick
> this leg out from under me and save us all a trip to the Supreme Court.

If you don't appeal this by tommorow night (actually, I guess it would be 
tonight at this point), I will. The only reason I'm not doing so right now
is because I need a faster connection to do all the rules checking I would
want to do.

> 
> > Alfvaen's Reasoning:
> > 
> <start snipped>
> > 
> > The question here is whether or not a "win" must necessarily mean "winning
> > a Cycle of Ackanomic".
> > 
> > In the Contests & Games rule suite, as well as the Grab-A-Donkey rule,
> > "wins" are referred to, but always in reference to the specific game.
> > There is no question of ambiguity in Rule 1250.7, "Game of Pure Skill",
> > when it says "Upon a winning condition being met and a winner being
> > declared", or "The winner receives a standard Trophy."  If there was,
> > then any Cycle winner would receive a standard Trophy; such is not, in
> > fact, the case.  So the customary interpretation of "winning" will only
> > apply to a subgame if a subgame is referred to specifically, or the
> > reference to "winning" appears in the subgame's own rule.
> > 
> > The only other reference to "winning" I can find in a different context
> > is "winner(s)" of an election in Rule 402, which also has a specific
> > referent.
> > 
> > Finally, there is a reference in Rule 420.1, "Historian"--in square
> > brackets, so it has no force but that of game custom--to "Winners".
> > I do not believe that anyone can doubt this to refer to winners of
> > Cycles of Ackanomic.  So "a win", with no other referent, refers to a
> > cycle win.
> 
> Apparently the Historian doubts this by implication.  I see no Historian's
> page which refers to the Past Winners of Cycles, nor admittedly to any
> other type of Winners.  The only page which lists Past Winners of Cycles
> is maintained by someone who is not the Historian, and hence it does not
> fulfil the requirements of Rule 420.1.  If there is no Historian's Page
> listing Past Winners of Cycles, then clearly game custom would have to
> indicate that "Winners", as mentioned in the note to this rule, if it even
> has any meaning (being in a note), cannot refer to past Winners of Cycles.

I agree with you on this.  There is no game custom that I am aware of as
to the meaning of "Winners" in the Historian Rule.

> Also note that this word Winners in Alfvaen's context has no semantic
> meaning by the rules.  Therefore, by the rules, it cannot refer to
> anything.  Therefore, regardless of what game custom says the Historian's
> page must contain, there is no word with any semantic meaning in Acka
> which forces it to contain "Winners".  This leaves us with only one
> instance of the word "win" or any of its derivatives with no clear
> referent.  Namely, the one we are discussing.
> 

This is the real problem with Alfvaen's arguement, the bit about "Winners"
is far to weak to base a verdict of any kind on, in my opinion.  Alfvaen's
reasoning seems to center on showing that the word win in the rules,
without any modifiers, customarily is interpreted as indicating a win of
the cycle.  He does a reasonably good job of arguing that it does not
indicate a win of some sort of sub-game.  Working entirely from his own
examples, however, I see no reason to think that it means the win of a
cycle, either.  Ever example Alfvaen gives clearly states that it is not
just a "win" but a win of a cycle, or the "winner of the current cycle" or
"wins the cycle," or what have you.  If the rules take such pains to make
it clear when a cycle win is being discussed, I would think that when the
word "win" appears without it clearly being refered to as a cycle win,
then there are no grounds for assuming that it is.

I am just speculating now, but it appears to me that Alfvaen treated this
as an either/or situation, where win either meant winning a sub-game or
winning a cycle.  Having demonstrated that it did not mean winning a
sub-game (and I agree with him that it does not), and with some indication
(which I disagree with strongly, as per the above) that it could mean
winning the cylce, he failed to consider any other possibilities.  Perhaps
win means to win the entire Game of Ackanomic, which is of course
impossible.  Perhaps, as it is essentially without context or explanation
in the Beldin's Pants rule itself, the word win there has no real meaning,
and nothing is actually won.  Perhaps it means that Beldin's Pants are
won, in some inexplicable manner.  There are many such possibilitieswhich
Alfvaen has not addressed in his reasoning, and which I am sure will give
the Supreme Court a severe migrane once this actually does get appealed.

> Anyone believe I have a case here, with either argument?
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> --

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:11:37 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Can someone give me a hand?#

Retract 2432.

I would like some assistance (please!) so I don't have to retract this
"$%% proposal again.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:19:37 +0200 (EET)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2422

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Proposal 2422
> > Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?
> 
> [...]
> 
> > 9. Whenever a transfer of more than entity is requested
> > 
> > {{Renumber this rule to 1017}}
> 
> [...]
> 
> Is this what was intended?

No. This was the typo due to which I retracted it.
It should be
"Whenever a transfer of more than one entity is requested (whether to
import or export) then each entity transfer shall be treated
individually. Unless the entities are a set of identical entities, in
which case only a single transfer procedure need be executed."

Niccolo Flychuck

> Malenkai
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:45:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2422 - retracting due to typo

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> [Proposal 2422]
> 
> > I'm unambigously retracting this proposal because I found a rather serious
> > typo in it. Meanwhile - RFC!
> 
> It was by far the best stab at entity transfer that I have seen.

Thanks.

> 
> I would fix the section 9 thing I pointed out though, and I would
> wait for the spelling exchequer before resubmitting :-)

Section 9 was the main reason for the retraction, and you are right that
such long texts should be proof-read, and spell chekced, by both machines
and humans.

> There are some very difficult issues with entity transfer that 
> I'm not sure were addressed.  It is my opinion that some structure
> must exist at the Internomic level for entity transfer to truly work.
> These issues mainly concern error correction, e.g., what if a CFJ
> determines that an entity was illegally exported after it is out
> of our nomic, and that sort of thing.

I don't think an Internomic structure will happen. I see a couple of
possibilities for such a structure, one of them being a charter nomic, a
similar concept to the one I mentioned concerning subgames, but since I
haven't even RFCd that one yet, it won't be happening any time soon
either.

I think the situation you mention is more of an Import than an Export
problem.  We legislated retractable errors in rules. Other nomics (Thring
for one) have this as Game Custom.
If we Import something and are later notified that this was an error, then
we should treat this within the retractable error rules.
Exporting is slightly more involved. Should we Export something and it
later turns out to be an error, as far as Acka is concerned, the Export
never happen, and we notify the unhappy recipient. 
We can't _make_ them treat the Import as if it didn't happen, however,
should anyone ever attempt to Import a bogusly Exported entity into Acka,
we can accept, and destroy that entity. Since it is possible that an
entity which it would have illegal to Export at a given time, would be
legally Exported at another time. This would mean keeping a record of all
past Exports, and adding a date to the Entity Profile. This does not mean
tracking the entities after they have been exported, it only means
matching an Imported entity which originated in acka, to a previously
Exported entity.
Granted, I doubt this would work for A$, but it does lead me straigh to
the next comment.

 > 
> Finally, I'm not sure about A$ and trinkets.  If 10000 A$s areexported,
> do we still have a balance of A$75,000 in acka?  What if the A$10000 comes
> back, and there is less than that in the treasury?  There appears some
> interesting areas for interaction along these lines...

Right. This is something I completely neglected. My view is that Exported
Trinkets and A$ should be deducted from that total, or better phrased, the
total need to be redefined as a total of all A$, Trinkets, Exported A$ and
Exported Trinkets, and similar to my above suggestion, an attempt to
Import that will over flow this total, will be destroyed, since it is
obviously a fake.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > > Malenkai
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:43:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: One Question

> I never said I wanted one player.  I just wondered why it wasn't
> three.

Well, for the answer to that I'd guess you'd have to ask Calvin N
Hobbes. I myself have always assumed that in a game with only a dozen
or so reguarly active participants, two Justices is plenty.
(Especially considering that you also need a President and four
Senators, none of whom can be the same player ... already you've got
over half the active populace representing each other.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:10:32 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Public Action

I apply to join the Rebellion.

Long live the Rebellion!

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 06:09:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Amber Banana

I, breadbox, the author of Proposal 2397, am exercising my right to
purchase an Amber Banana from Alfvaen's Amber Banana Tree, for the low
low price of A$10.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:15:41 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 121

CSR 121 is accepted.

> Renumber rule 390, "The Orange Menace", to 1135.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:08:38 -0600
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: One Question

> Well, for the answer to that I'd guess you'd have to ask Calvin N
> Hobbes. 

Requirements at the time. Historical considerations have kept it there,
but more than that, it's that concept of "checks and balances".

>I myself have always assumed that in a game with only a dozen
> or so reguarly active participants, two Justices is plenty.
> (Especially considering that you also need a President and four
> Senators, none of whom can be the same player ... already you've got
> over half the active populace representing each other.)

I think Senators should elect players to represent them. Or prehaps
something like an "ex-senator's association", with members called
"alumns"...

CnH
not a senator or even an ex

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:12:54 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Action

> I apply to join the Rebellion.

> Long live the Rebellion!

As the member of the Rebellion with the ability to grant membership,
I hereby grant membership in the Rebellion to Slakko.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Ace of Base:The Sign
Current Book--TesseractsQ
Five or six big jet planes zoomed quickly by the tower.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:14:09 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: End of Cycle

Okay, since I ruled FALSE on CFJ 475, I guess I might as well try the
simultaneously harfing two threads thing, until the whole matter is
settled.  Most of this falls under Malenkai's purview as Speaker, of
course, but as Financier and Scorekeeper I have a lot of stake in this
too, so, let me just try to save Malenkai some work...

If it was the case that the cycle ended at Thursday, November 27, 1997,
at noon Ackatime, and Alfvaen and Malenkai were both winners:

a) Ackanomic play was suspended.

b) the Chartreuse Goose Eggs belonging to Dread Pirate Roberts and Ace
Rimmers were destroyed, as well as the Right-Handed Grapefruit in the
possession of Malenkai.

c) Alfvaen and Malenkai are both given the title of "Winner of the Cycle";
Alfvaen receives a Champion's Cloak, as does Malenkai(although his turns
into a Badge of Glory right away).  Both also receive Right-Handed
Grapefruits, but one of these, randomly determined, disappears right away.

d) The following players, with scores of 0 or less at the end of the cycle,
receive Chartreuse Goose Eggs: K 2, Michael Wren, Robert Sevin, The Gingham
Wearer, /dev/joe, Red Barn, Karma, and Antimatter.

e) Since the Treasury was at less than $37,500, the cycle tax of 20% on
all Players, Undead, and Organizations(except only 10% on the cycle
winners)goes through.  This time it goes by Total Wealth, including Trinkets
and Majiks.  I won't post the details here unless there's great demand
for it; I will have PE pages for both threads up soon, hopefully.

f) Each player is awarded A$ according to eir point total at the end
of the Cycle.

g) Bond payments are held in suspension.

h) Each player's score is set to zero.

i) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were zero
at the end of the previous bond cycle.

j) No players were on vacation the whole cycle(at least that haven't
already been removed after being On Ice for 60 days), so no players
are removed for that reason.

k) The cycle was not won by points, so this section is ignored.

l) The game cycle number is incremented(to 17), and the Magic Number
is reset to 379(where it was already).

m) No players are in Gaol, so none are released; if any players are in
the Ackanomic Afterlife, they are returned to their homes.

n) The game state will not result in another immediate win, so nobody gets
the Chartreuse Goose.

o) Other end-of-cycle events:  A Commission d'Arts is called.  mr cwm
is Vacationing, so despite his highest prime score of 101, he does not become
the Archaeologist(having left on Vacation a day earlier); that honour
goes to breadbox, with a score of 79.

p) Ackanomic play resumes.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Ace of Base:The Sign
Current Book--TesseractsQ
Sympathy, luxury, somebody will take you there

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:55:43 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Thread Split Pages

Okay, I now have web pages up for both threads.  Let me know if something
is missing, or just greatly wrong with any of them.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Manhattan Transfer:Why Not?
Current Book--TesseractsQ
Greenness disintegrates.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:10:52 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2431 (Phoebe)

[sorry about this :)]

> Would my suggested sneaky trinket get around your method for
> avoiding the loophole?  Or is the current rule interpretation sufficiently
> vigilant?

Well, I dunno.  I started scratching my head over the matter, and
felt something lodged in my hair.  Damn, forgot the special shampoo
again!  I pulled the object out, and much to my suprise, it was
Phoebe's matchbox!  I said, Phoebe, what do you think about this?

She said:

***

I don't think the noun phrase in question could be hijacked.  Game
custom has already given us a traditional rendering of what a Suber
is in this case, and the traditional linguistic interpretation of
"20 or more Subers" is well known and would hold sway, as it did
in the 5 PFAlfvaen case and others, IMO.

The only time Malenkai's loophole has been successfully used, as
far as I know, is when the hijacked language had *no* traditional
rendering at all.  See your reasoning on CFJ 452 [NOTE to the CFJ
harfer, SC verdict and reasoning not attached], and see also 
your reasoning and the supreme court's reasoning on CFJ 415.

As for the general problem, Ackanomic custom and law has been strong
enough to get it right every time, so far.  As for the future, who
knows :-).  Its not that I don't think a general fix is necessary,
I do not think it is possible.  The further down the road this goes,
the closer we get to dancing with Godel.

It seems we can either rely on tradition, custom, language, judgement,
and other external concepts to get it right, or try to coax a formal
solution out of the rules.  Either path, it promises to be fun ... :)

***

I said should we rely on tradition or go for a formal solution, what 
is the *answer*, Phoebe?, but alas, her matchbox had gone missing...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:18:15 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Thread Split Pages

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> 
> Okay, I now have web pages up for both threads.  Let me know if something
> is missing, or just greatly wrong with any of them.

What I think is really funny about the whole thing is the following:

If the player who gets the Magic Potato forgets to do anything with it, we
could have 2 cycle wins under dispute.  And this could keep happening,
week after week after week.

Oh, note with the webpages - I don't see how either of you joint winners
can be The winner, so I can't see how you can get RHGs or Champion's
Cloaks, even if the Supreme Court should rule in your favour on 475.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 09:59:04 -1000
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Just for the Harf of it

I K 2 hereby declare, as a public action, that it now summer in
Ackanomic.
Autumn (fall) shall comence the on 1st of March.

:p

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:05:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

Email to observer Micah Smulker (aka former player Atilla the Pun) has
been bouncing for a few days now, so I am moving him to the digest
versions of the lists.

breadbox
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 18:16:18 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ersatz Reproduction

I am creating a trinket, worth 6 A$, called "Malenkai and Alfvaen's
Super-Collosal Cycle Win Attempt", with the following description:
"Well, it still may go down on appeal, but this was surely one of the
harfier bits of play of late. Quick, somebody change it so that they
*lose* cycle wins instad of gaining them; Malenkai has far too many
already..."

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:58:05 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Balsamic Dragon)

Balsamic Dragon has found Phoebe.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:15:23 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: End of Cycle

> o) Other end-of-cycle events:  A Commission d'Arts is called. 

And the Commission is:

Rex Mundi
Vynd
breadbox
ThinMan
K 2
Alfvaen
Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:17:21 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: random grapefruit determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# odd Alfvaen keeps it, even Malenkai

No. of sides on every die:     40
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     10

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sun Nov 30 19:17:19 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id TAA17065 for <[email-masked]>; Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:17:19 -0800
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma017063; Sun Nov 30 19:17:13 1997
> Received: from itw.com (4-7.SURFER.TIDALWAVE.COM [208.211.4.7]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with ESMTP id WAA11504 for <[email-masked]>; Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:17:11 -0500
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:16:41 -0500
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; U)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: fd
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 40
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: random grapefruit determination
> 
> #C odd Alfvaen keeps it, even Malenkai

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNIIsQD8NitsTFjcVAQGtiAP/QCW1jCQSD8rFb5kn93GzT+yn5yIfG+YW
R8vp8PO85oze1afG4vdbw+nke7HyeC9ueoxTQGy4O6f1Xz31nmWHZEtcFdr9WJ8q
+k8d0f511cqpaNMm9YxCzBsQRbTDNIHGoW0RMhGYHccKuPXsS2pD17xcoEAHqrY/
1AM/U0BPFcw=
=kaAM
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:26:19 -3100 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Observer

A fellow named Barry Mitchum, email [email-masked], has asked to
observe Ackanomic, at least on the digest lists.  So he won't see this
message right away.  Let's make it look like fun.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Phil Collins:I'm Not Moving
Current Book--TesseractsQ
My hands feel numb...Hey!  Who cut off my arms?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:34:38 -3100 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Just for the Harf of it

> I K 2 hereby declare, as a public action, that it now summer in
> Ackanomic.
> Autumn (fall) shall comence the on 1st of March.

I, Alfvaen, hereby throw, as a public action, a snowball at K 2.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Phil Collins:I'm Not Moving
Current Book--TesseractsQ
Always avoid alliteration.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:56:47 -0600
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Actions

I hereby remove myself from vacation, though it will be a while before I
can catch up on what's going on.

- --
Aaron Keesler
Adtran, Inc.
- --

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:00:17 -3100 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Crying Streak

Nobody likes my Proposals anymore!  :-(  Oh, well, the failure of the
two most recent ones means that it's time, finally, for the Brass Monkey
to climb the highest tower in Ackanomia and proclaim:

"The makers of the Chrome Streak shall be awarded 5 bonus points!"

Specifically, the following bonus points will be awarded:

+15 Slakko (maximum: 2379, 2383, 2384, 2385, 2386, 2388, 2389)
+15 Malenkai (2380, 2381, 2390)
+5 ThinMan (2382)
+5 Niccolo Flychuck (2387)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Phil Collins:I'm Not Moving
Current Book--TesseractsQ
If a Stealth craft crashes in a forest, does it make a sound?

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #387
*******************************